PDA

View Full Version : Darko Milicic... not a bust.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 03:50 AM
I know im gonna get a lot of **** for this but hear me out. I want to start by saying im not a wolves fan and yes I smoke but I willing to share so listen up.

He will never live up to the 2nd overall pick but that does not make him the bust that he was once called. He is putting up around 7 ppg 6 rpg 2 apg 3 bpg and all in 25 minutes. Add in the fact the he is 7 foot and still only 25 years old and has some time to expand his game.

While he wont live up the the 2nd pick because of the players picked after him thats not that bad. He might just have a good, not great but respectable nba career yet.

EDIT: i guess i wasnt clear but in order remove the tag of bust he has to keep up the play over an extended period of time and or keep improving

tangent12
11-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Nah, he's a bust.

John Walls Era
11-22-2010, 03:55 AM
"around 7 ppg 6 rpg 2 apg 3 bpg and all in 25 minutes"

Yeah thats great (sarcasm). If he was a late first rounder or a 2nd rounder, no he would not be considered a bust. It has more to do with him being picked 2nd and picked ahead of guys like Melo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman and others I forget, than his talent. Won't live up to the 2nd pick or even close = Bust. He might be a solid player eventually, but hes considered a bust.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 04:04 AM

Yeah thats great (sarcasm). If he was a late first rounder or a 2nd rounder, no he would not be considered a bust. It has more to do with him being picked 2nd and picked ahead of guys like Melo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman and others I forget, than his talent. Won't live up to the 2nd pick or even close = Bust. He might be a solid player eventually, but hes considered a bust.

Yea i stated that he will never live up to the 2nd overall pick but that does not make him a bust. Maybe we define bust differently... to me its amounting to nothing. Like kamie brown. Darko will never be great or as good as melo or bosh or wade but that doesnt make him a bust... atleast in my eyes.

HouRealCoach
11-22-2010, 04:11 AM
7, 6, 2... 3 blocks are good but 5that **** aint gud enough to be drafted ahead of Wade, Melo, Bosh, Hinrich, West, Kaman, J-Howard, Mo-Will... and alot more

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 04:14 AM
7, 6, 2... 3 blocks are good but 5that **** aint gud enough to be drafted ahead of Wade, Melo, Bosh, Hinrich, West, Kaman, J-Howard, Mo-Will... and alot more

I agree but it is good enough to remove the bust tag and call him an ok nba player.

mvb815
11-22-2010, 04:14 AM
it's not just the superstars picked after him, but just the fact that so many quality players came from that draft and he managed to be the second pick.

almost everyone from the entire first round with the exception of maybe 10 guys have had better careers as of now.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 04:18 AM
it's not just the superstars picked after him, but just the fact that so many quality players came from that draft and he managed to be the second pick.

almost everyone from the entire first round with the exception of maybe 10 guys have had better careers as of now.

I understand that... he will never live up to the 2nd overall pick but that doesnt make him a bust. if he puts up around 7 ppg 6 rpg 2 apg 3 bpg and all in 25 minutes thats not a bust thats solid. Im not saying he will or is living up to the second pick but in the same breath that does not make him a complete failure and/or bust.

marvILLous
11-22-2010, 04:21 AM
Yea i stated that he will never live up to the 2nd overall pick but that does not make him a bust. Maybe we define bust differently... to me its amounting to nothing. Like kamie brown. Darko will never be great or as good as melo or bosh or wade but that doesnt make him a bust... atleast in my eyes.

like kwame brown? in kwame's best year he averaged 11/7.. sure darko is getting some blocks but that number is def gonna go down.. if you're calling kwame a bust then darko's a bust too lol

CityofChaos
11-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Darko is a BUST. Stop trying to convince non-twolves fans that your organization wasn't stupid for overpaying him

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 04:38 AM
like kwame brown? in kwame's best year he averaged 11/7.. sure darko is getting some blocks but that number is def gonna go down.. if you're calling kwame a bust then darko's a bust too lol

kwame did it with more time on the court though... and after that year he tailed off. Maybe i didnt make my self clear but i was implying that he had to keep up the work in order to remove the tag of bust.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 04:39 AM
Darko is a BUST. Stop trying to convince non-twolves fans that your organization wasn't stupid for overpaying him

Since your gonna act like a jack@$$ and comment without reading the first post let me say it one more time for you im not a wolves fan.

WadeCounty
11-22-2010, 05:03 AM
I consider him a bust simply because he didnt live up to expectations. I say didn't because I just can't see him turning his career drastically around by suddenly being a 20 20 guy till he retires at mutumbo's age to then make me see why he was drafted ahead of so many other great players.

LeonFSU
11-22-2010, 05:04 AM

If I was starting a team, I'd pick Darko over Kaman

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 05:22 AM
I consider him a bust simply because he didnt live up to expectations. I say didn't because I just can't see him turning his career drastically around by suddenly being a 20 20 guy till he retires at mutumbo's age to then make me see why he was drafted ahead of so many other great players.

i get that but if he finished his career, say it ends when he is 32, puting up 7 ppg 6 rpg 2 apg 3 bpg in 25 minutes. Or if he gets more minutes and gets his average up to a double double with say 2 bpg would you still call him a bust? I not saying he will live up to the 2nd overall expectations but if he becomes half way decent then he should not be called a bust.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 05:23 AM

interesting at first glance id disagree but after looking at both players stats they are very close with darko being younger and playing less minutes

BaustinSali08
11-22-2010, 05:25 AM
I think your definition of bust and my definition of bust are two different things. In relation to where he was drafted to other players in the same year, then he is definitely a bust. Is he the worst player to come out of the draft? Definitely not.

Still think he is a huge bust.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 05:26 AM
I think your definition of bust and my definition of bust are two different things. In relation to where he was drafted to other players in the same year, then he is definitely a bust. Is he the worst player to come out of the draft? Definitely not.

Fair enough we can agree to disagree.

29$JerZ
11-22-2010, 05:33 AM
He is a bust based on expectations alone. He is showing he isn't a worthless player and won't be out of the league soon. He appears to he serviceable however being pick that high means he hasn't livEd to expectations . He isn't a kwame brown type bust where he just isnt a good player but he isn't far off

Khalifa21
11-22-2010, 05:43 AM
No, he's still one of the biggest busts of all-time.

When you're taken before Melo, Wade and Bosh and 7/6/2 is a good year for you, there's something seriously wrong.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 05:49 AM
He is a bust based on expectations alone. He is showing he isn't a worthless player and won't be out of the league soon. He appears to he serviceable however being pick that high means he hasn't livEd to expectations . He isn't a kwame brown type bust where he just isnt a good player but he isn't far off

once again i guess we have a difference of opinion on the definition of bust. I view it as what he does on the court not what people thought he would do.

Under your definition then grant hill was a bust because people were expecting him to be the next jordan and yes i know all of the injures but under you definition he didnt live up to expectations.

Or dwight howard is a bust because he was expeccted to be the next shaq... dwight is great but he has no post moves and is no where close to being as good as shaq was (yes i know he is still young and extremely good just making a point).

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 05:50 AM
No, he's still one of the biggest busts of all-time.

When you're taken before Melo, Wade and Bosh and 7/6/2 is a good year for you, there's something seriously wrong.

ok but add in the 3 blocks and in 25 minutes. its not great but its def not bad.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-22-2010, 07:23 AM
way to contribute something on topic

way to contribute fighting against spam

Apophis
11-22-2010, 07:37 AM
way to contribute fighting against spam

way to contribute to my lmao...

nycericanguy
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM

No you wouldn't, unless you're starting a lottery team.

nycericanguy
11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
kwame did it with more time on the court though... and after that year he tailed off. Maybe i didnt make my self clear but i was implying that he had to keep up the work in order to remove the tag of bust.

Darko has gotten plenty of chances and minutes with 4 or 5 teams now. Kwame had some decent seasons compared to Darko.

Kwame career - 6.7ppg 5.4rpg .6bpg 22mpg
Darko career - 5.7ppg 4.2rpg 1.2bpg - 17.8mpg

to call Kwame a bust and then say Darko isn't is just flat out FALSE

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Stop feeding the troll. Mods should close this thread imo.

Rentzias
11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409632-2010-nba-draft-ranking-the-no-2-overall-picks-of-the-last-25-years#page/1

John Walls Era
11-22-2010, 10:29 AM

lol do you like losing? Kaman can command the double team, no one even respects Darko in the paint.

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
He is a Bust for where he was drafted. Is he as bad as a lot of people make him out to be? I don't think so. Is he overpaid? ya.

Double_R
11-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I went through this same thing when he was on the Magic, they had nicknamed him the Serbian Swatter here and yea we was ok coming off the bench, but at the end of the day, that was 4 years ago and nothing has changed. I see nothing different in 4 more years. This is not a presidential reference.

xbrackattackx
11-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Since your gonna act like a jack@$$ and comment without reading the first post let me say it one more time for you im not a wolves fan.

Ignore him he is a 2010 user with 60 post....

But I agree, Darko is not a star by any means but he is a serviceable big man. I see him having a nice career not a great one. But a descent one.

Sly Guy
11-22-2010, 11:09 AM
you can't ignore those chosen ahead of him in the draft. He might have an NBA career, but don't confuse that with not being a bust.

tcav701
11-22-2010, 11:21 AM
A bust is a player with high expectations that never reaches them.

This guy is nowhere near his projections and draft position. Just because he has evolved into an average rotational player, doesn't mean he isn't a bust.

SpeeMN
11-22-2010, 11:34 AM
From the beginning of the LAkers vs. Twolves game the other night, the Wolves' offense was being played through Darko (the triangle). And It seemed like he had the green light the WHOLE NIGHT. Kevin Love was lost, but Darko was feeling it, and we kept feeding him. It was Darko vs Gasol and the end result was this:
Gasol- 16pts 16rebs 6ast 2blk 38minutes
Darko- 23pts 16rebs 5ast 6blk 2stl 40minutes

Has Darko ever been given 40 minutes off play in a game?? I have to say he isn't consistent at this point, but one month from now we may all have to have another look at what Darko is capable of and why he never showed it.

LeonFSU
11-22-2010, 01:03 PM
lol do you like losing? Kaman can command the double team, no one even respects Darko in the paint.

No you wouldn't, unless you're starting a lottery team.

Neither player isn't going to make your team championship caliber. Kaman is never going to be a good player on a winning team. Command a double team? From whom? Kaman is terrible. At least Darko has shown potential to be good on defense and doesn't chuck shots.

Evolution23
11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
hes a bust stop trying to convince yourself otherwise

Tha Truth
11-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Darko is a bust.

Organizations don't draft players 2nd overall to average 7/6/2 with 3 blocks. They draft players 2nd overall with high expectations.

JasonJohnHorn
11-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Darko has always been a decnet rebounder and a solid shot blocker, he just gets limited minutes. His per-36 minute stats always have him posting around 10 boards a game with starting minutes, his offence has just never developed fully enough (and I am speaking to his passing as much as his jump shot and post moves) to run an effective offence. The T-Wolves seem serious about really giving Darko some time to develop, so this is the season I think he will really have time to develop and time to make some mistakes. It is an interesting experiment for the T-Wolves, and not one that is guaranteed to work, but since they didnt have a lot of options, its one that makes sense. Sometimes teams take long shot moves with low risk to try and jumpstart a rebuilding process. Darko may very well develop into a quality starter yet, but if he hasnt shown any level of consistency by the end of this season, I cant see him staying in the NBA for much longer.

rhymeratic
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Darko is a bust for the following reason below:

Drafted no. 2

They expected him to be like Dirk.

Homeboy was expected to be like 18pts, 10rebs, 2blks etc

The dude is hot garbage.

Hawkeye15
11-22-2010, 02:04 PM
He will always be considered a bust due to his draft position. And that is fair. Will he turn into a solid center? Probably, if given the right situation. He is good defensively, a pretty good passer, but has no confidence offensively, and is soft, period.
I would love to have him as a backup for the Wolves. He played great against the Lakers, 23/16/6 blks, but that is a one time performance.

"Bust" is reserved for top lottery picks who never have all star potential, or just flat out don't live up to expectations in the slightest. Darko is exactly this.

smith&wesson
11-22-2010, 02:04 PM
if he was picked 16th-25th over all then the numbers he is putting up now would be decent. but those numbers for a 2nd overal pick in one of the deepest drafts are still a bust.

Gators123
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM
The Human Victory Cigar is a bust. Big time.

Hawkeye15
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM

pretty much. If Darko would have been drafted #20, nobody would be talking about him being a bust

PurpleJesus
11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Darko will never become worthy of that #2 pick

Darko is however worthy of being an NBA player, but that is not enough to remove bust status

He is a starter on a bad team who is more suited for a backup role. The league is starving for centers, and Darko's numbers are comparable to a lot of the starters in the league.

ttam68
11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
No, definitely not a bust.

Anybody that only needs 7 years to develop into a solid 7.3 PPG player on 37.4% shooting is a great #2 pick. In fact, he should get a nice big 4 year $20 million contract from a championship caliber team looking for a valuable prospect. Afterall, he's seven feet tall.

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Jordan was drafted at #3. Viewed as Greatest of All Time.

Sam Bowie was drafted ahead of Jordan at #2. He's viewed as a bust even though he had a solid NBA career- Never lived up to expectations. Hence the definition of a bust.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
He will always be considered a bust due to his draft position. And that is fair. Will he turn into a solid center? Probably, if given the right situation. He is good defensively, a pretty good passer, but has no confidence offensively, and is soft, period.
I would love to have him as a backup for the Wolves. He played great against the Lakers, 23/16/6 blks, but that is a one time performance.

"Bust" is reserved for top lottery picks who never have all star potential, or just flat out don't live up to expectations in the slightest. Darko is exactly this.

Thats were we differ i believe a bust is a player that never does anything at all. If he doesnt live up to expectations he is not a bust. Under the definition of not living up to expectations grant hill is a bust he was called the next jordan. injures or not he wasnt the next jordan. how about dwight howard... he was called the next shaq. while he is great he has no post moves and is not close to shaq in his prime does that make him a bust. to me no but by yours and many other posters definition they should be called busts too.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Ignore him he is a 2010 user with 60 post....

But I agree, Darko is not a star by any means but he is a serviceable big man. I see him having a nice career not a great one. But a descent one.

Seriously though he was one of the first posters too how do you not read the first post.

And yes that is my agruement that he wont be great but if he is solid then he is not a bust... atleast by my definition.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
No, definitely not a bust.

Anybody that only needs 7 years to develop into a solid 7.3 PPG player on 37.4% shooting is a great #2 pick. In fact, he should get a nice big 4 year $20 million contract from a championship caliber team looking for a valuable prospect. Afterall, he's seven feet tall.

Dude he came to the US to play in the NBA when he was 18 and he didnt speak the language. Do you understand how hard that is on a young kid? Im not saying they didnt give him too much money I only agruing that he is not a bust.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 06:14 PM
A bust is a player with high expectations that never reaches them.

This guy is nowhere near his projections and draft position. Just because he has evolved into an average rotational player, doesn't mean he isn't a bust.

Does that make amare a bust because people expected him to be the next KG. Amare is a very good player but will never live up to the expectations of being as good as KG was in his prime. By your definition he never reached the expectations given to him to be as good as KG so does that make him a bust?

JWO35
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
If Darko isn't a bust....that makes Kwame a Hall of Famer!

Really, 10 decent games doesn't eliminate your "Bust Status". I was pissed the Pistons passed on Carmelo, stupid move...but the T-Wolves are even more stupid for given him 5mil per just to average 5/7

WolvesJagsOs
11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
7/6/2 with 2.8 BPG in 25-26 MPG is pretty damn good for 5M per year for a C, go check out other Centers in the leagues contract. Darko has been improving as well.

jackdawson
11-22-2010, 06:28 PM
You could say that if he was a late first round pick. But he was taken ahead of Wade, Melo, Bosh, etc etc. He is one of the biggest busts in league history. Oh pistons :facepalm:

Gators123
11-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Hes not the worst player in the NBA but he is a bust. A lot of people thought he was going to be great.

Ian Thomsen of Sports Illustrated:

But several years of fishing by the NBA has depleted the talent pool. Other than 7-foot Darko Milicic, an 18-year-old from Serbia-Montenegro who will probably be one of the top three picks, there is no player overseas perceived as a safe choice.

Chad Ford:

Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3 and plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5 positions. OK, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. While he won’t be asked to carry the Pistons, he’s capable of doing this earlier than you think.

Thomsen found a scout to say this:

"He has the makings of the most dominant center in Europe since Arvydas Sabonis," says an NBA scout who isn’t sure that James should be picked ahead of Milicic.

Hawkeye15
11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Gators, that post makes me sick. It goes to show how dead wrong scouts can indeed be.

topdog
11-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Nice to see a non-Wolves fan take notice of Darko. He's starting to string some decent games together and improve his shooting percentage from 28%:speechless: Very nice game against Gasol helped bump that up.

If he can live up to his contract and be a starter, he's not a bust. The jury is still out on whether he'll ever be close to worth a #2 pick though all signs point to hell no.

But, why the wolves liked him is for the interior defense which we needed as well as the passing that works very well in the flow offense. If he can keep hitting his short hooks instead of the front of the rim, he'll be just fine.

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Seriously though he was one of the first posters too how do you not read the first post.

And yes that is my agruement that he wont be great but if he is solid then he is not a bust... atleast by my definition.

See, that's your interpretation of a bust. You can come up with your own meaning for a word, but you can't define it for the general and say it's not what it is.

It's like saying 'ice cream' isn't ice cream; it's candy.

Does that make amare a bust because people expected him to be the next KG. Amare is a very good player but will never live up to the expectations of being as good as KG was in his prime. By your definition he never reached the expectations given to him to be as good as KG so does that make him a bust?

That's a terrible comparison. Amare's career is still going on, not that KG's isn't but who's to say Amare's career any less notable or valuable as KG's? Not to mention he's been selected as a 5 time All-Star and has been on several All NBA teams including All NBA First-Team in 2007.

The bottom line is your definition of a "bust" is misleading and doesn't make sense for the general population that has the word defined as someone not living up to expectations of their draft status.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
come on what do you expect Arvydas Sabonis to say he is from eastern europe too and at that time the eruos were getting zero respect.

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
You could say that if he was a late first round pick. But he was taken ahead of Wade, Melo, Bosh, etc etc. He is one of the biggest busts in league history. Oh pistons :facepalm:

Pistons didn't get as much heat as they could've gotten as they won it all in '04. :P

Kidd>>>K-Mart
11-22-2010, 06:45 PM
If your 2nd pick overall and is not putting up numbers that Bosh was doing on the Raptors, your considered a bust.

topdog
11-22-2010, 06:45 PM

To me, being a bust isn't about who you are drafted around or ahead of. A bust is a guy who can't find a job or is steady butt-waxing the pine. Hello Adam Morrison and Michael Olawakandi.

Darko never should have been #2 and quite frankly i don't know why Dumars drafted him. They needed a big, but they needed one immediately and Darko was going to be a bit of a project like most 18 year olds. Carmelo at the time was the undisputed #2 pick. Beyond that, people need to consider position because a decent center is a rarity.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 06:48 PM
That's a terrible comparison. Amare's career is still going on, not to mention he's been selected as a 5 time All-Star and has been on several All NBA teams including All NBA First-Team in 2007.

The bottom line is your definition of a "bust" is misleading and doesn't make sense for the general population that has the word defined as someone not living up to expectations of their draft status.

how is that a terrible comparison amare has done nothing to show that he will ever be as good as kg was in his prime. KG was one of the best pf ever. Amare is a very good pf but not close and at the end of his career nothing will have changed.

My definition of bust is not misleading its is actually very simple i define a bust by what they do or dont do on the court not what people thought he would do or not do. If you define a bust your way then everyone that was ever drafted and compared to a hall of famer is then a bust unless they equal or do better than the player they were compared to.

Shaolin
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
If he averages 3 BPG for the next year, even if he doesn't do anything else his future would be secured in this league.

Any GM in the league would pay to have a 7 footer who can defend the paint in certain (very limited) situations, even if he doesn't make a shot.

Case in point, Reggie Evans for the Raps. Totally one dimensional, but still makes his money.

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 06:54 PM
how is that a terrible amare has done nothing to show that he will ever be as good as kg was in his prime. KG was one of the best pf ever. Amare is a very good pf but not close and at the end of his career nothing will have changed.

My definition of bust is not misleading its is actually very simple i define a bust by what they do or dont do on the court not what people thought he would do or not do. If you define a bust your way then everyone that was ever drafted and compared to a hall of famer is then a bust unless they equal or do better than the player they were compared to.

According to that judgment, KG has never done anything in Minnesota either. He needed help and was traded to Boston before winning his first chip two years ago.

The general definition of a bust is someone who is drafted high and fails to achieve anything remotely close to what people expected them to achieve.

Once again, you're entitled to your own interpretation of what a bust is, but most sportswriters, experts, scouts, coaches, executives and even fans perceives a bust to what I stated. You can't argue what a bust is or isn't when the majority population sees as something else.

Tha Truth
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I can't believe people are actually trying to say Darko is not a bust.

This is absolutely mind boggling to me.

He was drafted 2nd overall in a draft full of perennial all-stars and he didn't not live up to the expectations of a 2nd overall pick. I have no clue it will end up being a solid player or not. But the fact remains, he is a bust.

What other facts do people need to realize he is a bust?

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I can't believe people are actually trying to say Darko is not a bust.

This is absolutely mind boggling to me.

He was drafted 2nd overall in a draft full of perennial all-stars and he didn't not live up to the expectations of a 2nd overall pick. I have no clue it will end up being a solid player or not. But the fact remains, he is a bust.

What other facts do people need to realize he is a bust?

By having their own interpretations of what a bust is, they can change the entire argument. The OP doesn't know what a bust is.

SteveNash
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Hes not the worst player in the NBA but he is a bust. A lot of people thought he was going to be great.

Darko has never been able to be a consistent player. He got put in the draft spotlight because he had a couple of big games as a teenage against men and had an excellent workout. He's shown flashes wherever he has been (except NY) but has never shown that he can keep up a high level of play for very long.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
According to that judgment, KG has never done anything in Minnesota either. He needed help and was traded to Boston before winning his first chip two years ago.

The general definition of a bust is someone who is drafted high and fails to achieve anything remotely close to what people expected them to achieve.

Once again, you're entitled to your own interpretation of what a bust is, but most sportswriters, experts, scouts, coaches, executives and even fans perceives a bust to what I stated. You can't argue what a bust is or isn't when the majority population sees as something else.

KG never played with a team as talented as amare and he took the wolves just as far but he was the first option where nash was the first option on the suns team.

Correct me if im wrong buy your definition of bust is not living up to the expectations placed on said player.

That can be applied to any player ever drafted that they said was like mike. wade is a great great player but will never be jordan. By your definition wade is a bust because he has not lived up to the expectations that were placed on him by others to be the next jordan.

And i can agrue whatever I want that is the beauty of this nation. I am challenging all those sportswriters, experts, scouts, coaches, executives and even fans that you listed to think outside the box.

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
KG never played with a team as talented as amare and he took the wolves just as far but he was the first option where nash was the first option on the suns team.

Correct me if im wrong buy your definition of bust is not living up to the expectations placed on said player.

That can be applied to any player ever drafted that they said was like mike. wade is a great great player but will never be jordan. By your definition wade is a bust because he has not lived up to the expectations that were placed on him by others to be the next jordan.

And i can agrue whatever I want that is the beauty of this nation. I am challenging all those sportswriters, experts, scouts, coaches, executives and even fans that you listed to think outside the box.

Nash led the team- he wasn't the first scoring option. Amare was; just as KG was.

And you're wrong. Once again, a bust is someone who doesn't achieve remotely close to what they are expected to achieve based on their draft status. It's not my definition of what a bust is; it's the general population's point of view.

As I've said in an earlier post, you're trying to argue ice cream is candy.

I also want to point out, aside from no one has agreed with you, Darko's been noted as someone who could have a solid career, but not worth being drafted 2nd ahead of perennial all-star and face of franchise players.

Valkyrie
11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
if darko isnt a bust, no one is a bust...

IDB Josh M
11-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Darko is no bust. He just sucks compared to the rest of the top 5 picks of the draft class.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Nash led the team- he wasn't the first scoring option. Amare was; just as KG was.

And you're wrong. Once again, a bust is someone who doesn't achieve remotely close to what they are expected to achieve based on their draft status. It's not my definition of what a bust is; it's the general population's point of view.

As I've said in an earlier post, you're trying to argue ice cream is candy.

first off the ice cream and candy is a bad analogy.

secondly then what is your definition of bust? I know how most view a bust i am simply challenging people to reevaluate why. words meanings can change because they only carry the meaning that we give to them. an extreme example of this would be how the n-words meaning has change over the years. it use to be a way to degrade blacks but the newer generations have changed how the world has been used. The same could be sad of gay. it use to describe homosexuals in a degrading manner but the meaning has since changed.

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 07:36 PM
first off the ice cream and candy is a bad analogy.

secondly then what is your definition of bust? I know how most view a bust i am simply challenging people to reevaluate why. words meanings can change because they only carry the meaning that we give to them. an extreme example of this would be how the n-words meaning has change over the years. it use to be a way to degrade blacks but the newer generations have changed how the world has been used. The same could be sad of gay. it use to describe homosexuals in a degrading manner but the meaning has since changed.

Apparently the analogy isn't so bad because you are interpreting a word for what it doesn't mean.

My definition of a bust is exactly what it's perceived as. The n-word and gay never lost its meaning either. The ignorant uses it hence we have the definition of slang.

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Apparently the analogy isn't so bad because you are interpreting a word for what it doesn't mean.

My definition of a bust is exactly what it's perceived as. The n-word and gay never lost its meaning either. The ignorant uses it hence we have the definition of slang.

I am interperting a word by how it is defined in the dictionary... "1. A failure; a flop." If he stays in the nba for ten plus years and averaged a double double that is not a failure or a flop. However he would not live up to where others expected him to play because of where he was taken. Under your definition wade is a bust if he does not surpass jordan because he was compared to him and thus expected to be as good. even though everyone knows he will never be jordan that shouldnt take away from what he does on the court and how he defines his career.

And you can say that the people that use the n-word and gay are ignorant but those words dont hold the meaning that they use to, to the general population.

nycericanguy
11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
how is that a terrible comparison amare has done nothing to show that he will ever be as good as kg was in his prime. KG was one of the best pf ever. Amare is a very good pf but not close and at the end of his career nothing will have changed.

Dude are you on some sort of medication?

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I am interperting a word by how it is defined in the dictionary... "1. A failure; a flop." If he stays in the nba for ten plus years and averaged a double double that is not a failure or a flop. However he would not live up to where others expected him to play because of where he was taken. Under your definition wade is a bust if he does not surpass jordan because he was compared to him and thus expected to be as good. even though everyone knows he will never be jordan that shouldnt take away from what he does on the court and how he defines his career.

And you can say that the people that use the n-word and gay are ignorant but those words dont hold the meaning that they use to, to the general population.

Exactly, you're interpreting the word according it's ideal definition not used in basketball. But the fact that he was drafted 2nd ahead of franchise players and it takes him 7 years to develop 7/8/3, you are a bust- according to the general population.

And no, Wade's not a bust even according to the definition of 'bust' that I'm using.

Whether he was portrayed to be the next Jordan or not, I actually think Lebron was portrayed as the next Jordan, but neither can be considered a bust as they've accomplished individual goals that displace them from being just a solid player based on their draft positions.

TylerSL
11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
he is alot better than most people will give him credit for. With that said, he should not have been a #2 overall, and for a #2 overall he is a bust. He isnt a total bust, but for being so high he is if you know what I mean. He should have been drafted like 8-12 in that draft IMO and he would be a good pickup instead of a bust.

topdog
11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Anyone consider that at 25 Darko is still developing and thus is not a bust by whatever definition you have?

Statistically speaking, Milicic just had his best game ever against the Lakers:

D. Milicic
Reb: 16 (career high)
Ast: 5 (career high)
Stl: 2
Blk: 6 (career high)

Does a bust lead the league in total blocks and blocks per 48 minutes while having the #3 highest average? Smartass answer = yes. lol

Korman12
11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a very hardline definition of what a bust is. I think there's a fine line between bust and disappointment.

Meatmypet
11-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Anyone consider that at 25 Darko is still developing and thus is not a bust by whatever definition you have?

Statistically speaking, Milicic just had his best game ever against the Lakers:

D. Milicic
Reb: 16 (career high)
Ast: 5 (career high)
Stl: 2
Blk: 6 (career high)

Does a bust lead the league in total blocks and blocks per 48 minutes while having the #3 highest average? Smartass answer = yes. lol

So it took him 7 years to have 1 breakout game and you're not labeling him as a bust even though the rest of his classmates drafted after him has done more individually?

drew_ellis_23
11-22-2010, 08:47 PM

Maybe nobody understands what your point is then? Cause this thread is soooo stupid I can't believe it exists. He is a bust. Just like Oden, Kwame, and others that suck.

drew_ellis_23
11-22-2010, 08:49 PM
he is alot better than most people will give him credit for. With that said, he should not have been a #2 overall, and for a #2 overall he is a bust. He isnt a total bust, but for being so high he is if you know what I mean. He should have been drafted like 8-12 in that draft IMO and he would be a good pickup instead of a bust.

He should have went to college and not even sniffed the NBA until he was 22.

drobe86
11-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Milicic is trash... I can't believe he's still in the NBA......

topdog
11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
So it took him 7 years to have 1 breakout game and you're not labeling him as a bust even though the rest of his classmates drafted after him has done more individually?

I'm saying he's a big who's still young and who wasn't developed properly. A senior coming out of college like Wes Johnson can be a 23 year old rookie, so why is Darko at 25 labeled as a finished product bust? Nearly every player needs some time and good teaching to realize their potential.

The fact that he had his best game ever now shows that there is still the possibility for him to improve. Bigs take longer to develop.

It's absolutely ridiculous that Melo, Wade and Bosh were drafted after Darko, but bust status should not accompany a GM's ill-conceived and ill-advised choice.

jkcronyn
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
he's not a bust for a late first round or second round pick but what makes him a bust is he was picked second if he's not averaging 15 and ten he's a bust, face it

topdog
11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Tonight: 21pts. on 9/14 shooting and 3blks.

Gators123
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm saying he's a big who's still young and who wasn't developed properly. A senior coming out of college like Wes Johnson can be a 23 year old rookie, so why is Darko at 25 labeled as a finished product bust? Nearly every player needs some time and good teaching to realize their potential.

The fact that he had his best game ever now shows that there is still the possibility for him to improve. Bigs take longer to develop.

It's absolutely ridiculous that Melo, Wade and Bosh were drafted after Darko, but bust status should not accompany a GM's ill-conceived and ill-advised choice.

Were you saying it was ridiculous back on draft day or in hindsight? Darko was the consensus No. 2 pick.

kgjfan243
11-22-2010, 11:49 PM
hes a bust

dee279
11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
He did nothing for the pistons who picked him with the 2nd pick with D Wade, Carmello, Bosh, and others who have actually helped their teams through out their careers still on the board so YES HE IS A BUST! Just like how if Bust Russel comes and has a good career he will still be a bust because he did nothing for the team that drafted him so early with so many stars behind him.

EdGein812
11-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I still think he has a lot of talent. I like him.

dee279
11-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Darko has played really well the last passed games i will say though but even if he were to win most improved player and MVP too lol as if but neway yeah he would still be a bust. Just ask the Piston Fans, organization, and all the people who were fired after that draft pick didnt go anywhere. Im glad Beasley is doing good on the
T Wolves though.

Broadwayjoe NY
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Darko has played really well the last passed games i will say though but even if he were to win most improved player and MVP too lol as if but neway yeah he would still be a bust. Just ask the Piston Fans, organization, and all the people who were fired after that draft pick didnt go anywhere. Im glad Beasley is doing good on the
T Wolves though.

So you're telling me if he were to win the MVP award, you'd still consider him a bust?? Isn't the most valuable player the antithesis of a bust lol???

Meatmypet
11-23-2010, 12:04 AM
T Wolves though.

If he was to win an MVP, I'll take my words back. Hell, if he can maintain a 20-10-3 for the remainder of his contract, I'll take my words back. Lol.

TrueFan420
11-23-2010, 02:39 AM
he didnt have a bad night tonight 21 point 3 blocks only 4 bounds though but i think he shot 9 of 14 which is efficient

djeller1139
11-23-2010, 03:16 AM
You realize he was 2nd OVERALL, not 2nd ROUND. He's a bust by all definitions of it, and to make it even worse he was selected before Carmelo Anthony, among others.

EdGein812
11-23-2010, 03:49 AM
He's just getting going - another strong game tonight!

MU and UW Fan
11-23-2010, 04:16 AM
this thread is ********. detroit could have had perennial all star players in melo, bosh, or wade. and also many other players that have been listed like hinrich, west, etc. he is a bust period.

MDfootball36
11-23-2010, 04:17 AM
bust

Allstar21
11-23-2010, 05:07 AM
C- Darko
PF - Love
SF - Beasley
SG - Wes johnson
PG - Rubio

That team could compete

Matrix3132
11-23-2010, 05:38 AM
C- Darko
PF - Love
SF - Beasley
SG - Wes johnson
PG - Rubio

That team could compete

Compete for winning the lottery....

Shark
11-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Why do people call Darko a bust? I dont understand this, its not like he was asked to be picked second, heck, I dont think he even expected to be picked second. If you want someone to blame then blame Detroit.

Besides, he has a ring in his rookie year, how many players can say that, dont be hating!

ttam68
11-23-2010, 10:44 AM
The above debates are hilarious. Its really obvious he's a bust. It's not only the fact that he was picked around Wade/Melo/Bosh, but his career hasn't been successful so far. Yes, he deserves to be in the league, but theres a reason he's played for 5 teams in 7 years and has never been able to keep his starting spot when given it.

We're not talking about a guy like, say, Bynum whos produced for his team just hasn't really become an all-star. We're not talking about someone like Yao who was great than got hurt. We're talking about a guy whos never produced enough to even be a consistent starter, and has been bounced around by GMs because, maybe, just maybe, he isn't that good.

You do realize you made this thread based on a tiny sample size of about 15 games, and even more so the last two games? And even in this tiny sample size, he's shooting 40% from the field, 60% from the line, has a PER of 12 (15 is average), and turns the ball over twice and fouls three times in only 25 MPG.

How is that not a bust?

WolvesJagsOs
11-23-2010, 11:04 AM

lol, come on man, that team could compete, the last 7 games with our starting PG out and our 6th man out, we have been a team that isnt easy to get beat. Last night, at the end of the half or in the 3rd, we were down by 18, and came back and was leading by 1 pt late in the 4th, and unfortunately, Green hit a 3 and we could never come back from it, we are 3-4 in our last 7 games, and those losses were close besides the Lakers 2 games ago. You can say what you want man, but our team is way improved, and Darko is looking very nice, he looked like Hakeem Alajuan (sorry, no idea how to spell his last name). Im really starting to like Darko.

tcav701
11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
lol, come on man, that team could compete, the last 7 games with our starting PG out and our 6th man out, we have been a team that isnt easy to get beat. Last night, at the end of the half or in the 3rd, we were down by 18, and came back and was leading by 1 pt late in the 4th, and unfortunately, Green hit a 3 and we could never come back from it, we are 3-4 in our last 7 games, and those losses were close besides the Lakers 2 games ago. You can say what you want man, but our team is way improved, and Darko is looking very nice, he looked like Hakeem Alajuan (sorry, no idea how to spell his last name). Im really starting to like Darko.

I was agreeing with this post untill you compared Darko to the Dream lol.

tbone2171
11-23-2010, 11:14 AM

ignorant

ttam68
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Enough said

xbrackattackx
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Please be able to spell the dreams last name if you post on PSD.

Olajuwon.

Pistol_Pete
11-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Right now, he is a bust. There is no way you can deny that. Sure if you simply forget that he was the 2nd pick overall then maybe you can make a case, but you can't do that. You can't just remove probably the biggest thing that causes him to be a bust.

The fact of the matter is that he has not played up to his potential or what was expected of him. That equals a bust. The fact of the matter is that he has not played up to his draft slot while numerous others picked after him have surpassed him. That is a bust. The fact of the matter is that he's played with 5 teams over 7 years and has not improved significantly. That is a bust. His career averages so far are 5 points, 4 rebound, 1.2 blocks, for a 2nd pick overall. That is a bust.

I'm sorry to the person who is very clearly someone in Darko's family, but by all indications, he is a bust.

xbrackattackx
11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Darko has been killing it lately, Maybe he was just a late bloomer like most Big guys.

phoenix_bladen
11-23-2010, 12:32 PM
he could be a very good defensive centre in the league and his offensive can be developed

i still think he can be a valuable player ... the twolves need to develop this kid there is nothing to lose since they're not going to win anything this year anyways.....

darko did waste a lot of years but hopefully this really motivates him because from what i heard his work ethic wasn't that good before and his attitude and that's what shunned off some of his former coaches.....!

but MAN.... this guy is a blocking MACHINE!!!

PhillyBoomerang
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I would say as of late Darko actually has been playing some good basketball ie games vs Lakers and last night vs OKC in particular. But he has had a tough career with the high expectations, Darko was a project at the time and during his time with Detroit,Orlando,Memphis, and New York he was mediocre, and actually a joke. Its kinda funny because Darko is only 25 has NBA experience, he still can salvage his career and is probably in the best situation of his career where he gets playing time and opportunity with the T-wolves to put up numbers.

topdog
11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Were you saying it was ridiculous back on draft day or in hindsight? Darko was the consensus No. 2 pick.

On draft day. I remember the debate being whether 'Bron or Melo should go #1.

Plus, everyone else in that draft got to play right away. Darko had friggin' Larry Brown keeping him on the bench and saving him as the "human victory cigar."

PurpleJesus
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
^^03 draft was definetly melo vs lebron

Matrix3132
11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
ignorant

I'm ignorant for thinking that Rubio would make this team a "contending" playoff team? Watching him over the summer it looked like his shot has gotten worse, his defense was Steve Nash-esque, and he looked downright intimidated by the US guards coming at him. Rubio would be another piece but when/if he comes to Minny, he will be a work in progress. You guys need some vets and leadership to do something....

Hawkeye15
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm ignorant for thinking that Rubio would make this team a "contending" playoff team? Watching him over the summer it looked like his shot has gotten worse, his defense was Steve Nash-esque, and he looked downright intimidated by the US guards coming at him. Rubio would be another piece but when/if he comes to Minny, he will be a work in progress. You guys need some vets and leadership to do something....

first off, yes, your original post was ignorant. It was a blanket statement.
Now, this post of yours is better. And partially true. I don't think any Wolves fan seriously thinks Rubio's first year is going to bring playoffs. We are still the youngest team in the NBA when he comes over, he drags our age back down the year we gain haha. In 3 years, with the number of picks and capspace we have to lock up our own players and get a vet or two, the Wolves can grow into a very tough team. I think that is what many Wolves fans are excited about. In 3 years, excluding the multiple 1st rounders and cap space we have, our lineup is

Rubio (22)/ Flynn (24)
Johnson (26)/ Webster (26)
Beasley (24)/ Brewer (27)
Love (25)/ Pekovic (27)
Milicic (28)

All in their prime. And this doesn't take into account moves/picks/signings

John Walls Era
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Now, this post of yours is better. And partially true. I don't think any Wolves fan seriously thinks Rubio's first year is going to bring playoffs. We are still the youngest team in the NBA when he comes over, he drags our age back down the year we gain haha. In 3 years, with the number of picks and capspace we have to lock up our own players and get a vet or two, the Wolves can grow into a very tough team. I think that is what many Wolves fans are excited about. In 3 years, excluding the multiple 1st rounders and cap space we have, our lineup is

Rubio (22)/ Flynn (24)
Love (25)/ Pekovic (27)
Milicic (28)

Those are nice pieces. You think Kahn will move a few for a stud in the future? That would look to be the case.

Matrix3132
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Rubio (22)/ Flynn (24)
Love (25)/ Pekovic (27)
Milicic (28)

I hear you and I don't mean to knock someone's team that's finally starting to show potential b/c i know what its like waiting, hoping. But still the thing is, saying all these young guys will be in their "prime" in a few years never works out--if it did there'd be a lot more fluctuation among who makes the playoffs from year to year. Some guys are already as good as they'll be and that roster scares me because I don't know if any of those guys can be a number 2 option on a winning team (let alone a number 1), Beasley's playing nice but as others have said, lots of players have had nice years on bad teams then looked lost when/if they're ever on a contender.

Personally, I think the wolves should send the rights to Rubio somewhere else b/c lets face it, he doesn't want to play there and you guys shouldn't want him because of that. You could get a nice vet from a team looking to unload near the trading deadline and with another move or two, look for making a run at the playoffs next year.

Hawkeye15
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I hear you and I don't mean to knock someone's team that's finally starting to show potential b/c i know what its like waiting, hoping. But still the thing is, saying all these young guys will be in their "prime" in a few years never works out--if it did there'd be a lot more fluctuation among who makes the playoffs from year to year. Some guys are already as good as they'll be and that roster scares me because I don't know if any of those guys can be a number 2 option on a winning team (let alone a number 1), Beasley's playing nice but as others have said, lots of players have had nice years on bad teams then looked lost when/if they're ever on a contender.

Personally, I think the wolves should send the rights to Rubio somewhere else b/c lets face it, he doesn't want to play there and you guys shouldn't want him because of that. You could get a nice vet from a team looking to unload near the trading deadline and with another move or two, look for making a run at the playoffs next year.

as a Wolves fan who has had to deal with responding to these comments, I have long ago decided that you will get zero response from me, basketball wise, when this comes out. Please provide evidence of this claim, or stop posting it

Hawkeye15
11-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Those are nice pieces. You think Kahn will move a few for a stud in the future? That would look to be the case.

It has to be. Quite honestly, despite Darko showing life recently, I want to go all in for Marc Gasol this summer. If we miss on that, there are a number of free agents over the next 2 summers that can help us. We can also absorb in trades/
But yes, at some point, we will need to turn all those young assets into something real.

John Walls Era
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
It has to be. Quite honestly, despite Darko showing life recently, I want to go all in for Marc Gasol this summer. If we miss on that, there are a number of free agents over the next 2 summers that can help us. We can also absorb in trades/
But yes, at some point, we will need to turn all those young assets into something real.

only untouchable is Love. Don't know if hes still complaining though.

Hawkeye15
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
only untouchable is Love. Don't know if hes still complaining though.

I think Rubio and Love are untouchable. Kahn is infatuated with Rubio. Unless a young all star is offered, he will start his career in a Wolves uniform.
Love isn't complaining now that he is playing 37 mpg since his slow start. Its all up to him. If he works hard, he will play over 3 quarters a game. If he sulks, he gets benched. I have no problem with that

Tony_Starks
11-23-2010, 03:44 PM
In all actuality Darko has set the bar so low with his career horridness that putting up pedestrian numbers is like a monster improvement. I give him props, he appears to be somewhat effective in his new environment but lets keep it in perspective dude is putting up 8pts 6boards and thats a career high........ He's turned into a very good shot blocker but offensively dude is shooting like 40% from the field which for a Big is beyond terrible.

AsfanSince99
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
If you're still unsure if he's a bust just add a poll, and you'll find 95% of PSD users wud think of him as a bust.

reemy
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Im a wolves fan and i say darko is a bust, that doesnt mean he isnt a decent player though

DerekRE_3
11-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Averaging 7 and 6 on a bad team 7 years into your career after being a #2 overall pick is not going to cut it.

Rafer17
11-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Averaging 7 and 6 on a bad team 7 years into your career after being a #2 overall pick is not going to cut it.

This.

Mplsman
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
He's played well the last few games, that I will give him.

Il Mago 7
11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
he never was a bust...he never had a chance with detroit

albertc86
11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Darko and Kwame are in the same boat. Neither one of them deserved to be drafted as high as they did but they were. GM's were drafting big because it was a PF driven league at the time and it didn't pay off. I think Kwame and Darko both receive unfair criticism... it's not like they showed a lot of potential and then became a bust.

uptownfan
11-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Detroit knew what players they were passing up when they took Darko.

Bust.

Tony_Starks
11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
I bet you Darko even subs himself out in 2k11!!

kartyea
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
ok but add in the 3 blocks and in 25 minutes. its not great but its def not bad.

are those stats from this year alone? or is that his averages since he's been there?

StevenU2009
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
@Truefan-you are 100% correct-including the fact that you'd catch a lot of flak for the comment. Fans and talent evaluaters often makje mistakes when it comes to projecting what a player can do in the NBA. This is even more true with foreign born players. I am a Knick fan, so I know a thing or two about busts. Mirsad Turkan? Frederic Weis? Michael Sweetney? BUSTS. Darko, not at all his fault that Joe D made the biggest mistake of his career (since he was so loaded at the 2 and 3 he didn't need Melo-or Wade, or so he said and thought at the time).
Every young player who enters the NBA is at a crossroads; with the proper guidance they may blossom and without it they may fail. Kwame Brown was given every opportunity to play big minutes and never really improved. He is a bust.
Darko, on the other hand, was buried on the bench, and beaten down by a notorious brow beating coach-aka Next Town Brown. He was criticized for not being Carmelo Anthony, for not being DWade, and for not being a superstar worthy of the #2 overall pick.
Darko knows how to play and he has size strength and a decent amount of athletic ability. He is an excellent shot blocker, a very good passer and a pretty decent scorer around the basket. There are not many 7 footers these days who have the strength to play and score inside and also have some skills. He is still improving. I was totally pissed and D'amphony for never giving him a chance with the Knicks last year. Minny did the right thing and he will earn that $20 mil and then some.

WSU Tony
11-23-2010, 09:34 PM
All of you PSD fans are the same. The Wolves didn't spend a #2 pick on Darko. Nobody is saying Darko is living up to that #2 pick. Look at it this way, Darko is making 5M per year and provides 25 minutes a game of 8 pts, 6 reb, 2 assists, and 3 blocks.

The Timberwolves DIDN'T spend a #2 pick on the guy.

Darko doesn't have to live up to the #2 pick, he just has to live up to a 5M a year player.

kgjfan243
11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
false, hes a bust

hyb152
11-23-2010, 10:28 PM

So then what you're saying is Darko was a bad pick by the pistons. He's not a bust. Those numbers are pretty decent and he's still incredibly young. But like you said, it was the players picked after him that make him look so bad. That's not on him, that's on the Pistons scouting and management. He should have never been picked that high, and he's starting to turn into a solid NBA player.

TrueFan420
11-24-2010, 02:18 AM
@Truefan-you are 100% correct-including the fact that you'd catch a lot of flak for the comment. Fans and talent evaluaters often makje mistakes when it comes to projecting what a player can do in the NBA. This is even more true with foreign born players. I am a Knick fan, so I know a thing or two about busts. Mirsad Turkan? Frederic Weis? Michael Sweetney? BUSTS. Darko, not at all his fault that Joe D made the biggest mistake of his career (since he was so loaded at the 2 and 3 he didn't need Melo-or Wade, or so he said and thought at the time).
Every young player who enters the NBA is at a crossroads; with the proper guidance they may blossom and without it they may fail. Kwame Brown was given every opportunity to play big minutes and never really improved. He is a bust.
Darko, on the other hand, was buried on the bench, and beaten down by a notorious brow beating coach-aka Next Town Brown. He was criticized for not being Carmelo Anthony, for not being DWade, and for not being a superstar worthy of the #2 overall pick.
Darko knows how to play and he has size strength and a decent amount of athletic ability. He is an excellent shot blocker, a very good passer and a pretty decent scorer around the basket. There are not many 7 footers these days who have the strength to play and score inside and also have some skills. He is still improving. I was totally pissed and D'amphony for never giving him a chance with the Knicks last year. Minny did the right thing and he will earn that $20 mil and then some.

All good points... and yea brown is def not a coach you want to play for as a rookie.

dodie53
11-24-2010, 04:58 AM
that christian bale look a like is a bust.
hehe

TrueFan420
11-24-2010, 06:00 AM
that christian bale look a like is a bust.
hehe

what are you like five years old?

WolvesJagsOs
11-24-2010, 04:05 PM
All of you PSD fans are the same. The Wolves didn't spend a #2 pick on Darko. Nobody is saying Darko is living up to that #2 pick. Look at it this way, Darko is making 5M per year and provides 25 minutes a game of 8 pts, 6 reb, 2 assists, and 3 blocks.

The Timberwolves DIDN'T spend a #2 pick on the guy.

Darko doesn't have to live up to the #2 pick, he just has to live up to a 5M a year player.

Which he is. And the Wolves never gave up on him, first 8 games or so, he was shooting like 20% or lower from the field, and Rambis continued to give him the ball, and he is feeling confident and is looking better and better every time i see him.

KD even said after the game that he was a top center in the league, obviously that was prolly just game talk, but people are starting to recognize him. I agree, he has to do it for more than a 4 game period, but the guy is getting better and better. All you people that said 5M per year is too much, are going to take that back soon.

Meatmypet
11-24-2010, 04:20 PM
There are some really delusional fans out there. Lol.

MrJones
11-24-2010, 04:50 PM
A draft bust occurs when a highly touted draftee does not meet expectations, and conversely a lowly-drafted player going on to have a stellar career would be a draft steal.

Darko = Bust

WolvesJagsOs
11-24-2010, 04:54 PM
There are some really delusional fans out there. Lol.

please say who you are talking about. If its the argument about a bust? I agree, he is, he shoudlnt have been taken that high, but right now, he is playing very well, he is one of the best shot blockers in the league, and is starting to take on a scoring ability and is a real good defensive player. I like waht i see.

shyfly24
11-24-2010, 11:40 PM
The guy has been playing lights out the last handful of games. He's actually playing like a number 2 pick.

AsfanSince99
11-25-2010, 12:46 AM
The guy has been playing lights out the last handful of games. He's actually playing like a number 2 pick.

Yeah, I'm liking his game a lot. Hope he can keep it up.

Joshtd1
11-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Darko was killing us tonight, they literally fed him the ball in the last 5 minutes or so against Tim Duncan and went to work. If he could play like that, he is definately not a bust. He is a pretty good defensive player as well. Guess all it takes is getting consistent minutes for once.

Giraffes Rule
11-25-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't know if he's a bust or not, but what I saw from him tonight was extremely impressive.

topdog
11-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Darko's line tonight (against the 13-1 Spurs):
22pts. on 10/17, 8rebs., 4ast, 5blk

3rd straight game w/ 20 or more points

iamsteel
11-25-2010, 01:06 AM
He had ANOTHER 22 pts, 8 rbs, 5 blks, 4 asts tonight. but 7 TOs is pretty bad. Bust=maybe, solid player=yes. At least he's not a Greg Oden.

Mplsman
11-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Darko's line tonight (against the 13-1 Spurs):
22pts. on 10/17, 8rebs., 4ast, 5blk

3rd straight game w/ 20 or more points

Another unreal game for Darko. He was getting Darko chants in the Target Center when he had the ball lol. Keep it up Darko.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 02:15 AM
he is waking up, but I have to see a much larger sample size to think Darko is a capable NBA player

TrueFan420
11-25-2010, 05:26 AM
he is waking up, but I have to see a much larger sample size to think Darko is a capable NBA player

fair enough... just remember there is a reason why he was drafted #2... he has talent but never got a chance to show it. He needs to rebuild his confidence and it looks like its starting to pay off.

EdGein812
11-25-2010, 06:17 AM

He was always capable. Even his first years in Detroit the guy could dribble for a big, pass, and block - even had a decent jumper - the kid had the talent, you could see it. I think part of it was confidence and part of it was the situation. We handled him so wrong. I was one of the few people who stuck up for him. I'm loving this right now, hope he keeps it up! :clap:

WSU Tony
11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
The Wolves didn't spend a #2 pick on the guy. He's more valuable as a player than the 5M he's getting paid this year would indicate, so far.

topdog
11-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not trying to argue that Darko's a great player or anything. I'm saying he's still developing and showing improvement which precludes him from being a "bust." We don't know what's actually there yet

MrfadeawayJB
11-25-2010, 12:57 PM
It's easy to put up good numbers when your team is 4-12 and there is many shots that need to be taken...after beasley and love, no one really shoots

JasonJohnHorn
11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Dakro had a great game last night. He helped the T-Wolves maintain a nearly 48 minute long lead on the team with the league's best record, posting 22 point, 8 board, 4 assists and FIVE blocks. Though that did go along with 6 PF and 7 turnovers. Though he has been developing a passing game that looks pretty good when it works.

It would be nice to see Darko keep up that type of play though. The league needs more good big men.

NBAfan4life
11-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Darko is and will be worth every bit of his 5 Mill annual salary. I hope he keeps it up.

phoenix_bladen
11-25-2010, 01:39 PM
same here i really hope he succeeds and proves the haters wrong!

i always felt he had talent!

drobe86
11-25-2010, 02:19 PM
He's only a bust because of his draft status. If he had been taken 10th-25th people would be saying he's been ok or pretty solid. Milicic is still a young player so he will get better. I don't think he's an all star by any means but I do think he's a top 15 center or so...

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 02:25 PM
He's only a bust because of his draft status. If he had been taken 10th-25th people would be saying he's been ok or pretty solid. Milicic is still a young player so he will get better. I don't think he's an all star by any means but I do think he's a top 15 center or so...

prettu much the jist of it

tredigs
11-25-2010, 02:29 PM
He's averaging 18.0 points, 8.6 rebounds, 4.2 blocks and 3.6 assists in the past five games... against some of the better teams/bigs in the league. He's finally in game shape and starting to play 32+ minutes every game, and that bodes well for Darko.

I saw flashes of this potential all the time late last season, but his attitude and lack of fitness always kept his potential limited. But with Minny's commitment to him, and the fact that he's in shape, he's starting to seriously show what he's capable of. When he's on his game, this guy is VERY good; his skill set is a poor man's Pau Gasol on offense (though a better passer), and he's just a shot blocking machine on defense (leads the league while averaging just 26 minutes right now. With 30+ a night, he will lead the league by a wide margin come seasons end).

And again, he's only 25. He still has about a decade to make good on his potential if he truly wants it (the last part of the statement is what has always held him back in the past).

colinskik
11-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Let's wait to see if he can continue with this type of production...I have a feeling he can't. And he is most certainly a bust considering where he was drafted, but he might be able to salvage his career and become a solid player.

tredigs
11-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Let's wait to see if he can continue with this type of production...I have a feeling he can't. And he is most certainly a bust considering where he was drafted, but he might be able to salvage his career and become a solid player.

Exactly. Though, I've actually got some optimism for Darko based on this mini-string of solid performances and his increase in minutes. Also, did I mention that I picked him on my fantasy squad this year (and late last year) because I saw this potential in him? Yeah, that might have something to do with my optimism. But in all honesty, dude's a baller when he's on his game; more skilled than 90% of the bigs right now.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Exactly. Though, I've actually got some optimism for Darko based on this mini-string of solid performances and his increase in minutes. Also, did I mention that I picked him on my fantasy squad this year (and late last year) because I saw this potential in him? Yeah, that might have something to do with my optimism. But in all honesty, dude's a baller when he's on his game; more skilled than 90% of the bigs right now.

its all about him wanting to be good. Watching him recently, he has a lot of fire in him. Fist pumping, running hard, and playing with emotion. Could that disappear at any moment? Of course. But if the coaching staff can keep him focused, and he can continue to play with fire, he will be a pretty damn good center

Tony_Starks
11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I give props where due, especially since I was appalled by his signing. He seems to be in the best situation conducent to him turning into a decent player. No real expectations. No need for him to score, when he does its purely a bonus. No real need to even crash the boards, Loves got that on lock.

All he has to do is play big, make the appropriate pass, and clog up the lane. So far he's looked pretty capable, there's really no reason he shouldn't do this all year like I said the bar is set pretty low for him......

kozelkid
11-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I gotta say, Minnesota is looking more and more like the 02-08 Pistons. Bunch of renegade players getting it together and I love it.

WolvesJagsOs
11-25-2010, 10:04 PM
It's easy to put up good numbers when your team is 4-12 and there is many shots that need to be taken...after beasley and love, no one really shoots

lol dude, this comment is just stupid, watch him play, stop hating. The guy is amazing defensively with his blocks, and offensively, check out his last 5 games, most of the time the guy is going 10 for 18 or something in that type of ration from the field, not a good FT shooter though. He is a GREAT passer too, he isnt the best rebounder though.

THE MTL
11-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Who was he drafted ahead of????/ ENOUGH SAID! Bust!!!! His stats are more of someone not selected in the Top 10 or lottery

Sixerlover
11-26-2010, 01:38 AM
He's sure as hell a bust in Detroit's book.

tbone2171
11-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Who was he drafted ahead of????/ ENOUGH SAID! Bust!!!! His stats are more of someone not selected in the Top 10 or lottery

Says the guy comparing Galinari to Larry Bird in his sig :rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
11-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Trending Player: Darko Milicic, C, Minnesota Timberwolves
Might David Kahn have the last laugh? The Timberwolves' GM described the former No. 2 overall pick as being "like manna from heaven," after acquiring Milicic in a trade and re-signing him to a new four-year contract, to the bemusement of the NBA blogosphere. However, Milicic has started to make good on the investment over the past two weeks. Starting with a double-double on Nov. 15 at Charlotte, Milicic has averaged 16.5 points, 8.3 rebounds and 4.0 blocks over the past six games. That is the kind of production teams have been hoping for years that Milicic would provide.

Milicic has nearly played at an All-Star level over the last six games. In the grand scheme of things, that doesn't mean much until Milicic sustains improved play over a longer period. However, it is worth noting that Milicic has never had a six-game stretch this productive in his entire career. His 99 points dwarf his previous top six-game effort (79 points, per Basketball-Reference.com's game logs), and this is Milicic's best six-game stretch in terms of assists (21, previously 18) and blocks (24, previously 23).

As good as Milicic has been lately, he was nearly that bad during the season's first three weeks. As a result, even after his hot stretch, Milicic has a Player Efficiency Rating (PER) of 12.5 (average is 15) and rates little better than replacement level by Basketball Prospectus' Wins Above Replacement Player (WARP) metric. Most of the difference can be traced to Milicic starting to hit shots after making a dismal 28.8 percent of his 2-point attempts during the first 11 games. Milicic has also improved his ballhandling, nearly doubling his assist rate while cutting down on his turnovers.

from Kevin Pelton at Basketball Prospectus

tbone2171
11-29-2010, 05:15 PM
But to answer the thread...Yes he was a bust to the Pistons, Magic, and Knicks. My only problem was people ripping Kahn for signing this guy to a $5m/year contract going into the year.

AddiX
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
For a team with 4 wins we sure talk a lot about how good T-Wolves players are.

I mean come on, where does this even come from?

Hawkeye15
11-29-2010, 05:25 PM
For a team with 4 wins we sure talk a lot about how good T-Wolves players are.

I mean come on, where does this even come from?

if you aren't a fan, then don't comment. Maybe because its nice to see young players who were written off basically start to succeed? Or set records that haven't been set in longer than most posters here lifespan?

The wins will come. No worries

Matrix3132
11-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Says the guy comparing Galinari to Larry Bird in his sig :rolleyes:

Lol, he needs to replace Bird's pic with Andrea Bargnani....