PDA

View Full Version : Iverson Scores 2 Points in League Debut

CityofChaos
11-21-2010, 08:01 PM
ANKARA, Turkey (AP)—Allen Iverson(notes) scored two points in his Turkish league debut for Besiktas Cola Turka in a 74-67 defeat to defending champion Fenerbahce Ulker on Sunday.

Iverson missed three shots in the first quarter and was taken off with less than a minute left. He returned at the beginning of the second half, but did not score until late in the third. He then returned to the bench for the rest of the game.

Besiktas trailed 40-35 at half time and rallied to tie the score 53-all going into the fourth quarter, but Fenerbahce regained control to maintain its perfect league record.

It was Besiktas’ second loss in a week after a 94-91 defeat to Hemofarm Stada in the European Cup on Tuesday, when Iverson scored 15 points on his debut with the team.

Not enough practice? I wonder if he'll act up again if he continues to get benched...

NYKNYGNYY
11-21-2010, 08:09 PM
wow...gotta be the European rules...or hes washed up

GodsSon
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
wow...gotta be the European rules...or hes washed up

Bingo

dodie53
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
wtf? 2pts?

goose15
11-21-2010, 08:50 PM
what a turkey...

KnicksorBust
11-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Not enough practice? I wonder if he'll act up again if he continues to get benched...

Well it's not like that would make his teammates better.

bringbackfredex
11-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Well it's not like that would make his teammates better.

He's supposed to be the franchise player and we're sitting here talking about practice.

Hustlenomics
11-21-2010, 09:06 PM
when he scores 15 nobody wants to talk about it but when he gets 2 points everyone's racing to make a thread about it :laugh2:

PurpleJesus
11-21-2010, 09:11 PM
whoes everybody?

td0tsfinest
11-21-2010, 09:14 PM
when he scores 15 nobody wants to talk about it but when he gets 2 points everyone's racing to make a thread about it :laugh2:

Ye. No body noticed he scored 15 in his first game. AI didn't play much in the game. Missed all of the 2nd and 4th quarter.

CityofChaos
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Ye. No body noticed he scored 15 in his first game. AI didn't play much in the game. Missed all of the 2nd and 4th quarter.
-
They lost the game where he scored 15 which isn't even that much for a score first pass later type player who thinks highly of himself.

He also played 18 minutes in that 2 point game.

Hellcrooner
11-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Thats what happens in european game, no Isolation plays for the star, no top dog, no first option, not alowed to chuck if you are nto shooting well the ball will stop going to you etc etc.

Of course this was a particualr bad night, he can get 13 or 14 any normal night.

But FAR away from teh 50 ppg some people were thinking out of ignorance.

Sly Guy
11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
woah, woah, woah! Slow down AI! You're gonna make those turkish fans dizzy!

[{(actually, I hope he picks it up and dominates the league, but 2 points calls for some sarcasm)}]

Gators123
11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
What? I thought AI was still the man? According to some of the AI fan boys he could still start in the NBA and average 20PPG.

Guess not.

jiggin
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
it was my understanding that he didn't get an insane amount of playing time.

that could be a reason.

was anyone really expecting him to go to a different system of basketball, join a team where all the teammates are use to playing together and take over putting up huge stat numbers in his first game?

uhhh...maybe the expectation was too high considering all the variables. He will be fine, and this "story" will be forgotten very soon.

C-Dub
11-22-2010, 02:39 PM
What? I thought AI was still the man? According to some of the AI fan boys he could still start in the NBA and average 20PPG.

Guess not.

its been 2 games with a completely different team in a completely different league after a long time of not playing. wait a few games before you start judging

xbrackattackx
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
what a turkey...

I see what you did there.

whitemamba33
11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
it was my understanding that he didn't get an insane amount of playing time.that could be a reason.

was anyone really expecting him to go to a different system of basketball, join a team where all the teammates are use to playing together and take over putting up huge stat numbers in his first game?

uhhh...maybe the expectation was too high considering all the variables. He will be fine, and this "story" will be forgotten very soon.

Excuses are in bold.

If he was any good, he wouldn't need these excuses.

IndiansFan337
11-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Act up? Not likely. He might walk away though. He did it before in the NBA. Twice. So we shouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

pistonsfanomg
11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
what a turkey...

lol

xbrackattackx
11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
He will have to find his groove. I think he knows this is his only shot back to the NBA. To look Impressive here. So this summer when teams are looking for scoring undersized vets. He can get a call.

jiggin
11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Excuses are in bold.

If he was any good, he wouldn't need these excuses.

so if a guy isn't put in by the coach, its still his fault for not putting up good stats?

what?

I am being realistic regarding the expectations...you will see, he will be fine over there once he is more familiar with their system and gets more time on the court.

The coach not playing you (for whatever his reasons may have been...most likely that he didn't know all the teams plays system and plays ect...) doesn't give you an excuse for lack of statistics, now I have heard it all.

PS - how long was he out to the sport again? And he is suppose to tear it up on his first game...overseas? LOL wow, give the guy a break and let him get his game adjusted and back.

AsfanSince99
11-23-2010, 04:21 PM
I watched that game and sometimes he didn't even touch the ball on an offensive possession. Most of the time, he didn't bring the ball up, he was left on the wing watching someone else take a shot.

It seemed strange but it looked like he was trying to be a team player, trying to blend in, so to speak..

Personally, I think for him to be more effective in this league he needs the ball in his hands and resort to the AI of old and score at will. In that game, he doesn't look comfortable in their system.

jiggin
11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I watched that game and sometimes he didn't even touch the ball on an offensive possession. Most of the time, he didn't bring the ball up, he was left on the wing watching someone else take a shot.

It seemed strange but it looked like he was trying to be a team player, trying to blend in, so to speak..

Personally, I think for him to be more effective in this league he needs the ball in his hands and resort to the AI of old and score at will. In that game, he doesn't look comfortable in their system.

don't try to tell the people here this, they have already burned him to the stake based on the stat line he posted...regardless of the playing time ect...

:facepalm:

Hustlenomics
11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
people don't talk about the 15 point game but they go and bump this thread just to talk smack oh yes he's definitely going to score 30 points in 18 minutes :laugh2: ..clowns

whitemamba33
11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
so if a guy isn't put in by the coach, its still his fault for not putting up good stats?

what?

I am being realistic regarding the expectations...you will see, he will be fine over there once he is more familiar with their system and gets more time on the court.

The coach not playing you (for whatever his reasons may have been...most likely that he didn't know all the teams plays system and plays ect...) doesn't give you an excuse for lack of statistics, now I have heard it all.

PS - how long was he out to the sport again? And he is suppose to tear it up on his first game...overseas? LOL wow, give the guy a break and let him get his game adjusted and back.

Isn't put in? I thought I heard that he played 18 minutes.

What is it? Was he not put in, or did he play 18 mins?

truplayer199
11-23-2010, 05:29 PM

No! This is his likely his last chance.

Mplsman
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Remember when AI was leading the NBA in scoring like 5 years ago.

SMH!
11-24-2010, 01:14 AM
people don't talk about the 15 point game but they go and bump this thread just to talk smack oh yes he's definitely going to score 30 points in 18 minutes :laugh2: ..clowns

Exactly what i was thinking, where were you haters when he hit 15? Or in 01?

madiaz3
11-24-2010, 01:55 AM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/allen-iverson-to-turkish-media-uygulama-uygulama-b,18367/

Team*Chicago
11-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Allen Iverson can't even score 20ppg in Europe let alone in the NBA. I'm glad he's not playing in the NBA anymore messing up somebody's team. He'll rot over there in europe.

xbrackattackx
11-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Someone Has a Frownyyy face.

Hindy27
12-21-2010, 09:17 AM
ALLEN Iverson has announced to his fans he intends to finish his illustrious basketball career playing in Sydney, presumably for the Kings.

It's all news to the only Sydney franchise in the NBL, but "AI" - also known as "The Answer" - responded to rumours that he wants out from his contract playing in the Turkish league.

He wrote on Twitter: "I am very happy here in Istanbul, but if I don't return to the NBA I am considering a move to Australia after my two-year contract is up.

"I hear Sydney is a real good city to live in. my boy Rodney O asked me to come over. I am comin!"

Iverson, 35, is an 11-time NBA All-Star who topped the season scoring in the NBA four times. His 26.7 points per game ranks sixth all-time, and his playoff career scoring average of 29.7 points, second only to Michael Jordan.

The NBA's Most Valuable Player in 2001 - and winner of the MVP award at the annual NBA All Stars game in 2005 - Iverson agreed to a $4 million, two-year deal with Besiktas to play in the Turkish and European leagues after no NBA team offered him a contract this year. He is averaging 9.6 points and 3.6 assists after five games.

Sydney Kings CEO Bob Turner quipped: "Tell you what, it would stop everybody talking about our need for a point guard, even though he's actually a shooting guard.

"But our salary cap might take a battering."

Rodney Overby, the voice of the Kings, like AI, is from Philadelphia.

"I would love for AI to come to the land Down Under and I would love for him to come to the Sydney Kings because we do need a point guard," Overby told The Daily Telegraph. "AI was one of the premier guards in the world. He would bring an unprecedented swagger to the NBL."
Link (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/nba-legend-allen-iverson-keen-for-sydney-kings-finale/story-e6frey6i-1225974625261)
If he comes to Australia he'll have to take a massive pay cut.

An interesting little fact for everyone..... Well, if you've heard the Aussie, Aussie, Aussie..Oi, Oi, Oi, chant.
It was started by the Rodney O mentioned in this article. He used to be the announcer for the Sydney Kings, still is I think, and he would get the crowd going with a Sydney, Sydney, Sydney..Oi, Oi, Oi chant. Then when the Australian basketball team played in Sydney he'd change it to Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. It eventually stuck and is now used all the time by crowds when Australians play in nearly every sport.

If it gets too annoying, remember, a guy from Philadelphia started it. Lots of Australians don't even know how it started.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
european basketball BLOWS!

cooters22
12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
I didn't much care for AI's attitude when he came into the league, but gotta admit after some seasons and his attitude as far as growing up and not being a gang banging punk changed, I liked the guy. He left it all on the floor. Yes, he's pretty much washed up, but leave the guy alone. If he wants to play in Turkey, let him play. Obviously he still loves the game. So they only report his bad games? Distasteful.

Ray_R
12-21-2010, 12:27 PM

:clap:

AussieLaker
12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey Guys,

Im from australia and saw it on the news this morning on the little ticker at the bottom of the news. I was like WTF.

Not sure how much he can be paid but its no where near 1mill haha

But good luck aye

Games should be packed just to see him but in 2 years how much would he have left.

OT Thriller
12-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Really a sad story. I wouldve like to see Iverson finish his career in the NBA on top. The guy was amazing to watch. Hopefully he gets another shot at the NBA and finishes strong somewhere down the road.

RZZZA
12-22-2010, 12:29 AM
well I for one hope he starts doing better because those Turks looked REAL excited to see him

BirdIsTheWord
12-22-2010, 04:30 AM
i might actually bother to watch the NBL if AI is playing in it because it is horrible.

asandhu23
12-22-2010, 04:34 AM

Turkey is Middle East, fool