PDA

View Full Version : So is being a tweener a good or bad thing?

Chronz
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
You know how it gos, fan of a tweener says hes too big for 3's and too quick for 4's, opposing fan counters with hes too small for the 4 and too slow for the 3.

Which is it? If both are true how to measure if the player is worth keeping? Are these kind of players best utilized off the bench or can they be legit starters?

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Ask Shawn Bradley.

Khalifa21
11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Josh Smith is considered undersized at PF at 6'9, 240lbs, but he does a great job and has played like one of the best 4's in the league so far.

I think you can make the argument that a tweener comes out of that category if his athleticism is through the roof. Although he's giving up height to most starting PF's in the league, his athleticism allows him to play a lot bigger than he is.

abe_froman
11-21-2010, 08:13 PM
depends on the type of tweener he is,the system he's in,and player themselves

the thing is that the league is filled with them,there are few if any true single position players anymore,and that becomes more true each year.

Avenged
11-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I think it's a good thing if the player has a lot of athleticism.. But if he doesn't then he'd be too short to guards PF's and too slow for SF's like Chronz mentioned..

I think it would just depend on athleticism, talent, and skill.. If they have all of that, then they'd be a star regardless.. But if they don't, they may struggle a bit to find a "comfort zone".

braveniler58
11-21-2010, 08:17 PM
It's not a good nor a bad thing. It's just what it is. It all depends on the player and how they play. If they're a good player, then obviously, it's a good thing. If they suck, then it's a bad thing.

Draco
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM

the thing is that the league is filled with them,there are few if any true single position players anymore,and that becomes more true each year.

Agreed.. and in terms of type, system and player characteristics.. I'd rather have Noah than Bargnani, for example.

iggypop123
11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
worked out well for odom

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I like my starters to have defined roles. I like my bench players to be versatile

Khalifa21
11-21-2010, 08:31 PM
worked out well for odom

Odom's not a tweener. He has good size for the position he plays, 6'10 but he just happens to have the skill set of a player much smaller.

dtmagnet
11-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Versatility is never a bad thing.

bal_ravens
11-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Jamison was too big and slow for 3's, but didnt have the body to guard 4's, and he had some dominant years.

Hawkeye15
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
it can be a great thing on the offensive end, but at times, it can kill you on the defensive end

KnicksorBust
11-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Being a tweener is much more likely to prevent a player from succeeding than it is to help him.

TrueFan420
11-21-2010, 09:01 PM
it depneds on if you have the right player to compliment them too.

llemon
11-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Somewhere in between

Jumba
11-21-2010, 09:24 PM
I think the ultimate Tweener is Donte Greene

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/donte_greene/bio.html

6'11" Small forward (usually) 6'11"!!!! You kidding me! When I saw him in NBA2k I thought it was like an auto gen player, then I realized he's really 6'11" and a SF, ****!

THE WALL
11-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I think the ultimate Tweener is Donte Greene

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/donte_greene/bio.html

6'11" Small forward (usually) 6'11"!!!! You kidding me! When I saw him in NBA2k I thought it was like an auto gen player, then I realized he's really 6'11" and a SF, ****!

Take a look at Austin Daye...he's also 6'11'' and played SG in the summer league ;)

Jumba
11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Crazy stuff. Wish Donte would become a force though, Daye the same way.

Sixerlover
11-21-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm not a big fan of tweeners. Most top teams have starting 5's full of defined roles.

Chronz
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM

Agreed, its getting harder to classify players.

Odom's not a tweener. He has good size for the position he plays, 6'10 but he just happens to have the skill set of a player much smaller.
There was a time when he was considered a tweener (I remember talk of this when he first got to Miami), however as abe alluded, the game has evolved hes become more of a prototypical/ideal 4man to have.

I like my starters to have defined roles. I like my bench players to be versatile
My line of thinking precisely, Ima sucker for traditional sets and when I go to the bench I want to have my swiss army knife fill whatever role I require of him.

Jamison was too big and slow for 3's, but didnt have the body to guard 4's, and he had some dominant years.
No doubt, but do you think he wouldve been better if he was a true 3 or 4 or did his frame benefit his game?

But on the topic of Antawn, good example btw, he had some years where he played the 3 almost exclusively, others as the 4man, some off the bench, so hes the perfect case study. In what role do you think he was best? Does it even matter, are positions pretty meaningless?

Josh Smith is considered undersized at PF at 6'9, 240lbs, but he does a great job and has played like one of the best 4's in the league so far.

I think you can make the argument that a tweener comes out of that category if his athleticism is through the roof. Although he's giving up height to most starting PF's in the league, his athleticism allows him to play a lot bigger than he is.
I think we should set the standard height/girth for each position because I was under the impression that Smith filled out and wasnt so undersized anymore. With the way the game has evolved its getting harder to tell.

JermanJaysFan
11-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Take a look on Austin Daye...he's also 6'11'' and played SG in the summer league ;)

Greene started 22 games at SG in his career.

bal_ravens
11-21-2010, 11:26 PM
To Chronz -

I think it did. His mid to outside range was pretty good for a big man, which forced other power forwards to always step out to defend him, which most struggled at.

Plus with him being at the 4 position, it allowed to have another scorer (Caron Butler) to start, as opposed to having just an average PF to start (Etan Thomas or Blatche?)

Joshtd1
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Depends on the matchups personally IMO. If you have a guy like Jeff Green, who is a tweener IMO, playing the PF he would be ok having to guard a mobile PF, but if they get caught having to guard a bigger post player they are done for. I dont think the advantage they would get on offense makes up for the disadvantage he would have trying to guard a bigger post.

Thats why I think the Thunder would be better off starting Ibaka at PF and letting Green come off the bench. Not only would he probably have an advantage against most 2nd unit guys, he isnt going to have to really worry about having to guard a great 2nd string PF.

rabzouz 96
11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
meh im not a big fan of tweeners as starters, at least for the c,pf and sf positions, dont care so much about the guards, but tweeners are nice bench players because of their versatility. as for the antawn jamison argument, i think his best days were when he was used as a sf, he played good as a pf stats wise but his teams lacked sth without a real big, so while he was good he also blocked the position(not that there were other any players on the wizards that made sense to play there, but maybe they wouldve looked to attain or develop another player for the position).

twoearl
11-22-2010, 11:22 AM

^^^ This. The problem with a lot of NBA teams now is that they are starting a line up full of tweeners.

Tweeners are just nice name for Bench/Role players in my book.

SteveNash
11-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Bad, tweeners will kill you defensively.