PDA

View Full Version : NY Mets Hire Terry Collins as new manager

Red222
11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reports..
http://twitter.com/#!/ken_rosenthal

Brave4life
11-21-2010, 06:36 PM
I like the move for the NY Mets, Terry Collins knows the Mets players and farm. He will know the weaknesses from day 1. Now they just need to worry about Jason Bay and Carlos Beltran. If those 2 start playing again watch out NL east.

Brave4life
11-21-2010, 06:36 PM
And if there pitching holds up ^^^^

Jilly Bohnson
11-21-2010, 06:43 PM
I consider myself a guy who knows way too much about baseball so is it bad that I have no idea who this guy is or is he that much of a small name guy?

OptimisticNot
11-21-2010, 06:45 PM
I like the move for the NY Mets, Terry Collins knows the Mets players and farm. He will know the weaknesses from day 1. Now they just need to worry about Jason Bay and Carlos Beltran. If those 2 start playing again watch out NL east.

Ha! you're more optimistic than me about my own team! Too many question marks this season to hope for any playoff run. Sure you never know, but chances are this year will be more of a quasi-rebuilding year.

lvlheaded
11-21-2010, 06:48 PM
I consider myself a guy who knows way too much about baseball so is it bad that I have no idea who this guy is or is he that much of a small name guy?

Managed the Astros and Angels. He only had one losing season in his career I believe. I don't mind the hire

JOSKOMANG4
11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Collins, 61, is coming off his first season as Mets' Minor League field coordinator, following jobs managing the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Central League and the Chinese national team in the World Baseball Classic. Posting a 444-434 record in six years managing the Astros (1994-96) and Angels (1997-99), Collins guided his two big league teams to second-place finishes in five of those six years

NYMets0507
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Good pickup. Has been in the Mets system so he knows the young guys.

metsfaninSTL
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
as i said in the Mets forum, i hope this is the right guy

JOSKOMANG4
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Now that collins is on board.. we can now focus on the roster!!!

Ideas:

1) Trade OF Beltran

- Astros acquire OF C.Beltran from Mets w/cash considerations(mets eat 13million of 18 owed) in exchanged for LHP W.Rodriguez.

2) Trade for OF J.Upton!

- D"Backs acquire RHP's Francisco Rodriguez(K-Rod; mets eat 8 million of 11.5 owed), Jenry Mejia, and OF Fernando Martinez from Mets in exchanged for OF Justin UPton.

3) Might be a reach.. but trade for Barry Zito!!

- Mets trade 2b Luis Castillo(6million) & Oliver Perez(12million)(both expiring deals) to the Giants for LHP Barry Zito & cash considerations(Giants eat 27million of 54 million owed to Zito; Mets entitled to pay Zito 27 million until 2013).

*think of it like this; Giants eat 45 million; so they save 9 million!

Lineup:

1) Reyes-SS
2) Pagan-CF
3) Wright-3b
4) Bay-LF
5) Upton-RF
6) I.Davis-1b
7) D.Murphy-2b
8) J.Thole-C

Bench:

IF R.Tejada
1b/OF C.Carter
1b/OF N.Evans
OF L.Duda
1b/3b M.Cairo(Free agent signing)
C H.Blanco(resigned)

Rotation:

LHP Santana(projected to be out 1st half of 2011 season)
LHP W.Rodriguez
RHP M.Pelfrey
LHP B.Zito
LHP J.Niese
RHP RA Dickey

Bullpen:

LHP P.Misch
RHP M.Acosta
RHP S.Green
RHP G.Balfour(free agent signing)
LHP P.Feliciano(Resigned)
RHP B.Parnell(Closer)

metsfaninSTL
11-21-2010, 08:05 PM
^ is any team really gonna want castillo and ollie?

bringbackfredex
11-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Ideas:

1) Trade OF Beltran

- Astros acquire OF C.Beltran from Mets w/cash considerations(mets eat 13million of 18 owed) in exchanged for LHP W.Rodriguez.

2) Trade for OF J.Upton!

- D"Backs acquire RHP's Francisco Rodriguez(K-Rod; mets eat 8 million of 11.5 owed), Jenry Mejia, and OF Fernando Martinez from Mets in exchanged for OF Justin UPton.

3) Might be a reach.. but trade for Barry Zito!!

- Mets trade 2b Luis Castillo(6million) & Oliver Perez(12million)(both expiring deals) to the Giants for LHP Barry Zito & cash considerations(Giants eat 27million of 54 million owed to Zito; Mets entitled to pay Zito 27 million until 2013).

Lineup:

1) Reyes-SS
2) Pagan-CF
3) Wright-3b
4) Bay-LF
5) Upton-RF
6) I.Davis-1b
7) D.Murphy-2b
8) J.Thole-C

Bench:

IF R.Tejada
1b/OF C.Carter
1b/OF N.Evans
OF L.Duda
C H.Blanco(resigned)

Rotation:

LHP W.Rodriguez
RHP M.Pelfrey
LHP B.Zito
LHP J.Niese
RHP RA Dickey

Bullpen:

LHP P.Misch
RHP M.Acosta
RHP S.Green
RHP B.Parnell(Closer)

1.) Why the hell would the Astros want Beltran again?

A. He already dicked them over once and didn't re-sign with them.
B. They're a young up and coming team, they don't want an aging outfielder.

2.) That's not enough to land Upton, especially since K-Rod was in trouble and had health problems last year.

3.) The Giants wouldn't want that garbage contract of Castillo considering they have Freddy Sanchez who's a former batting champ starting at 2B, and not one team in the world will take Oliver Perez even if they offer to pay his entire salary.

The imagination of Mets fans really baffles me sometimes....

mark1125
11-21-2010, 09:34 PM

Ideas:

1) Trade OF Beltran

2) Trade for OF J.Upton!

- D"Backs acquire RHP's Francisco Rodriguez(K-Rod; mets eat 8 million of 11.5 owed), Jenry Mejia, and OF Fernando Martinez from Mets in exchanged for OF Justin UPton.3) Might be a reach.. but trade for Barry Zito!!

Lineup:

1) Reyes-SS
2) Pagan-CF
3) Wright-3b
4) Bay-LF
5) Upton-RF
6) I.Davis-1b
7) D.Murphy-2b
8) J.Thole-C

Bench:

IF R.Tejada
1b/OF C.Carter
1b/OF N.Evans
OF L.Duda
C H.Blanco(resigned)

Rotation:

LHP W.Rodriguez
RHP M.Pelfrey
LHP B.Zito
LHP J.Niese
RHP RA Dickey

Bullpen:

LHP P.Misch
RHP M.Acosta
RHP S.Green
RHP B.Parnell(Closer)

Step away from the computer. Not even close.

Jeffy25
11-21-2010, 09:44 PM

he hasn't managed in the big leagues since 1999, when he managed for the Angels, and was sort of forced out by the players that year.

He also managed for the Astros for 3 years, and was fired after I think 96.

He had a bunch of second place finishes, like every year, no playoff appearances.

I think he has been in Japan for the last decade.

It's a questionable call. Could be a good move though.

Jeffy25
11-21-2010, 09:51 PM
1.) Why the hell would the Astros want Beltran again?

A. He already dicked them over once and didn't re-sign with them.
B. They're a young up and coming team, they don't want an aging outfielder.

2.) That's not enough to land Upton, especially since K-Rod was in trouble and had health problems last year.

3.) The Giants wouldn't want that garbage contract of Castillo considering they have Freddy Sanchez who's a former batting champ starting at 2B, and not one team in the world will take Oliver Perez even if they offer to pay his entire salary.

The imagination of Mets fans really baffles me sometimes....

I support this post

Havoc Wreaker
11-21-2010, 10:20 PM
LoL

Joskomang and his trade proposLoLs are LoLliful.

Nymfan87
11-21-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm sorry that Josko, one of our village idiots, got loose in the MLB forum. Us Mets fans will investigate immediately.

todu82
11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Hopefully this is a good hire for the Mets. Have always liked that team, hope he's the guy to get them back in the playoffs.

TheRuckus
11-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Nah, I'm in the same boat.

I'm sorry that Josko, one of our village idiots, got loose in the MLB forum. Us Mets fans will investigate immediately.

Has anyone looked into the possibility that he and DRTRADE are the same person?

The Schmooze
11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Nah, I'm in the same boat.

Has anyone looked into the possibility that he and DRTRADE are the same person?

Eh his posts are too coherent to be DRTRADE's...