PDA

View Full Version : Why do teams have trouble retaining superstars?

mikealike305
11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
teams have problems holding on to superstars? lebron left, bosh left, amare left, boozer left, melo wants to be traded, there were talks of chris paul being traded.... what is the problem? we all know these guys want to win, but why do teams (so many of them) have such a hard time keeping them happy?

LionsFan..LOL
11-20-2010, 11:11 AM
teams have problems holding on to superstars? lebron left, bosh left, amare left, boozer left, melo wants to be traded, there were talks of chris paul being traded.... what is the problem? we all know these guys want to win, but why do teams (so many of them) have such a hard time keeping them happy?

I think many of those players you named want to play in a bigger market and places like Utah, Cleveland, NO, and Toronto are not like a NY, Chicago, or LA. That or in LeBron's case wants to win a championship and what better way then teaming up with 2 friends, who just happen to elite players in the NBA (well Bosh not so much). That is my 2 cents feel free to critize or crucify me :D

Ethix11
11-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Because those teams don't do enough of a job of filling out the roster with enough talent to win. Out of all those players, none of them have rings. Otherwise, the team would have had the pieces in place already.

Hunter48MVP
11-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Because they just want to win championships and form up a mob to beat the Lakers and Celtics

eugene
11-20-2010, 11:37 AM
because it's not easy :)

hugepatsfan
11-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Because players hate to take accountability. Too many star athletes now just decide to jump ship if things are not perfect. It's always their teamates' fault, never theirs.

mikealike305
11-20-2010, 12:53 PM
coudld it be that some FO's rather not have to deal with the price tag that comes with have a c'ship type team?

BALLER R
11-20-2010, 01:00 PM
it seems like its the younger players that are doing it. It comes down to winning, but teams go through there bad times look at pierce in boston he had he bad times but he stayed. Kobe stayed a laker, duncan stayed a spur its not about location its about success...i think in this day and age young superstars are becoming spoiled and want everything there way i mean they take everything to the media. sometimes it doesnt seem like its about basketball anymore its about branding yourself

Kutchie03
11-20-2010, 01:03 PM
superstars are typically one of the top picks coming out of college, and the teams that draft them are more than likely the worst teams in the league. The worst teams are (typically) the smaller market teams that don't like to spend a lot of money. These superstar players are good enough to take their team out of the dumps and make them a playoff team, but in this league, it's becoming harder and harder to carry a team by yourself. Because the team is no longer selecting in the lottery, their quality of draft choices suffers. This, coupled with the fact that the best free agents aren't intrigued by small market teams, makes it hard to build anything around the superstar. Once his contract is up, he wants to make the move to a bigger market and to a team where he can win.

footballer2369
11-20-2010, 01:12 PM
lol boozer's a superstar? now i know...

SA5195
11-20-2010, 01:23 PM
They struggled to build around them.

Example: Bosh for most of his career was surrounded by Jamario Moon, Anythony Parker, and other bench type players. We never had a wing, or a dominant scorer that could help him.

Although we did try to get Salmons, G-Wallace, and Ariza, but they didn't want to be here.

jiggin
11-20-2010, 01:28 PM
because players and their agents are greedy. Money comes before winning. Even look at LBJ situation. He got max money and saved an insane amount on taxes by going to miami. Those were the main reason he went...the players around him just made it an even more sweet move...but don't kid yourselves; if they didn't offer him so much financial reason go there, he wouldn't be there.

Greed Greed Greed

KnicksorBust
11-20-2010, 01:29 PM
We live in time where off the court friendships drive free agency. We also have a deluted league with elite teams that are exponentially better than the teams a few seeds below them (especially in the East). I mean let's be honest who can win the title this season? After 5-6 teams, it starts to become very unrealistic. In football, there's a lot more parity. A team like the Giants can go on a crazy run and win a Super Bowl. That doesn't happen in the NBA. Since the title pool of teams is so small, why would a superstar want to waste his prime seasons on a team with no chance? If I'm LeBron and I'm going against Rondo, Allen, Pierce, and Garnett, I'm not bringing Mo Williams, and Anderson Varejeo to war. I want my best friends Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

It's all about friendship and finding the easiest path toward a ring. In a way you can't blame them but it does hurt the quality of the league.

HT9Canada
11-20-2010, 01:40 PM
because players and their agents are greedy. Money comes before winning. Even look at LBJ situation. He got max money and saved an insane amount on taxes by going to miami. Those were the main reason he went...the players around him just made it an even more sweet move...but don't kid yourselves; if they didn't offer him so much financial reason go there, he wouldn't be there.

Greed Greed Greed

lebron, wade and bosh all took less money to be on the same team. obviously it was more about winning then money

nycericanguy
11-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Alot of reasons, but you look at DEN for instance, they GAVE AWAY Camby just because they didnt want to pay the luxury tax, what message does that send? Imagine DEN with Camby right now.

NO also let players go because they didn't want to pay them. it's not 100% the players faults all the time.

jiggin
11-20-2010, 03:00 PM
lebron, wade and bosh all took less money to be on the same team. obviously it was more about winning then money

are you serious?

when you are talking about 100 million dollar deals, it makes no difference. That IS getting paid. tack on the lack of taxes and you are sporting max deal numbers.

its all good, just grasping at straws with that argument. There is no way any of them would have taken a major cut in salary...there isn't many NBA players that would, unless they are in the end of their careers, already made out like bandits money wise and are just trying to secure their legacy by riding the coat tales of other better players because they haven't been able to do it themselves over their careers.

rabzouz 96
11-20-2010, 03:08 PM
because there are only very few good front offices. i wouldnt wanna play for an inept gm either

jiggin
11-20-2010, 03:31 PM
because there are only very few good front offices. i wouldnt wanna play for an inept gm either

what? the GM's get rid of them because they are protecting the front office from luxury tax issue or other financial issues. That IS a smart GM and part of their job and why they were hired.

this isn't NBA2k11, these GM's have more on their agenda's than just trying to put the best players on the floor...all of them have a budget they have to make work.

Chronz
11-20-2010, 10:27 PM
what? the GM's get rid of them because they are protecting the front office from luxury tax issue or other financial issues. That IS a smart GM and part of their job and why they were hired.

this isn't NBA2k11, these GM's have more on their agenda's than just trying to put the best players on the floor...all of them have a budget they have to make work.
How does this connect with what he was saying? Whos them? A smart GM does his job to ensure hes never in a position where he has to get rid of valuable assets to get back under the cap.

I know GM's have a budget but why do the majority splurge as if none exists?

To answer the question it depends on the star but for the most part because its so hard to put a winning product on the floor. Its been the main reason since the beginning of the game. Every so often players leave because there is too much talent and they dont get enough shine but mostly its to win.

Bausman
11-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Because the all play for Bos, Mia, and La.

otwisted
11-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Too many teams in the NBA so not enough talent to make all teams competetive, the big stars try to get to another team that has a star and some good back-up players in order to have a chance at winning. This is just one of many reasons.

JordansBulls
11-21-2010, 05:10 PM
lol boozer's a superstar? now i know...

More than Bosh he is

topdog
11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
A. Guys are drafted to some place they really would rather not be. Where do you want to be for the colder half of the year?

B. Money talks: between endorsements and actual contracts, all these guys are looking not just to get them some, but get as much as they possibly can.

C. Players either don't believe in their management or themselves to become a true contender. The grass always looks greener on the other side.

Geargo Wallace
11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
players need to realize that only one team can win the ship each year and that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. But in Canada we got the greenest grass. Players should want to stay in Toronto.