PDA

View Full Version : Blazers will offer Oden 8.8 million offer this summer

spreadeagle
11-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Don't write the obituary on Greg Oden's Trail Blazers career just yet.

Portland Trail Blazers president Larry Miller on Thursday said the franchise has not given up on the oft-injured center, and that he foresees the team making an $8.8 million qualifying offer this summer in order to retain his restricted free agent rights.

"If Greg Oden plays up to his potential he is worth that," Miller said of the $8.8 million qualifying offer. "We will see where (rehabilitation) things are at that level. But at this point, I don't see us not giving the offer if Greg is doing the things we need to see him doing to get back on the court.

"That's how I feel. If he is doing those things, we want to keep Greg around. I don't feel like I'm ready to give up on Greg Oden. I don't think anybody in our organization is ready."

Oden, who will undergo microfracture surgery on his left knee Friday in Vail, Colo., becomes a free agent on July 1, 2011. The Blazers have until June 30 to tender a qualifying offer to Oden, which would allow the team to keep him as a restricted free agent. By then he'll be in the seventh month of rehabilitation for an inury that typically has a six-to-12 month recovery time.

If Oden is restricted, the team has the right to match any offer made to Oden. If the Blazers don't tender a qualifying offer, Oden becomes an unrestricted free agent, and any team can make an offer.

Oden, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft, has had three season-ending knee surgeries in his four seasons in Portland. He has played 82 games -- the equivalent of one NBA regular season -- while being paid a combined $19.3 million.

"We want Greg to be a part of this team," Miller said. "I still think Greg Oden is going to be an impact player in the NBA, and that's the way we are going to approach it. We want to see Greg give the effort to rehabilitate, but I have no doubt he will do that because he has done it and proved he has done it before. Now, I understand doing it once is one thing, and doing it twice is another. And three times is a challenge. But I think Greg will do it, I think he will put out the effort."

There are several advantages to the Blazers tendering the $8.8 million offer to Oden. They could use him in a sign-and-trade deal; they could prevent another team from getting him cheaply; and if there is a lockout that extends into next season , he could rehabilitate without losing as many games as he would otherwise. Also, if the league loses games like it did during the 1999 lockout, the Blazers wouldn't have to pay him the full $8.8 million. Read more http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/11/blazers_president_larry_miller.html

kingbrentg
11-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Weird.

pistonsfanomg
11-19-2010, 06:50 PM
nice

haggis
11-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, what?

I thought they came out a week ago saying that they weren't offering him anything???

StriveGreatness
11-19-2010, 07:00 PM
I kind of wanted the Pistons to offer him the MLE...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-19-2010, 07:05 PM
the Blazers can sign me to half of 4.4 Mil. and i'll contribute to them more then Oden does./

redsox0717
11-19-2010, 07:08 PM
8.8 for sitting on a bench, most likely.

Life is good for Mr. Oden.

SensandRaps
11-19-2010, 07:08 PM
makes sense the blazers dont want to look stupid twice so might as well give oden a chance to redeem himself and not make picking him look really bad

DLeeicious
11-19-2010, 07:10 PM

I can't even imagine how frustrating it is sitting on the bench just aching to get in the game and having one injury follow the last.

But yeah, 8.8 mil makes that easier to deal with.

Trouble87
11-19-2010, 07:11 PM
ive been rough on Oden in the past

I honestly think he can be a force on the league if healthy, Blazers picking up the option isn't a bad thing

justinnum1
11-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Might as well

kblo247
11-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Seems fair since their ****** training and medical staff is the cause of his problems just like in the past with Drexler, Walton, Pippen, etc.

StriveGreatness
11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Arnie Kander would fix him within seconds! The guy is magical! Doing work on T-Mac right now.

JordansBulls
11-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Give me 500K and I'd love to sit in a suit to watch games.

IAmKira
11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
the Blazers can sign me to half of 4.4 Mil. and i'll contribute to them more then Oden does./

wat can u do? warm the bench? wash the player's jersey? carry their luggage? i'l give u 4.4 dollars for those :p

Raoul Duke
11-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I find it hard to believe that they've made this decision already. A qualifying offer of almost 9 million for a guy who will have played in only 82 games over his first four years? That'll bring the grand total of their investment up to almost 30 million dollars, with very little to show for it.

It makes for a nice story and it'll probably make rehab a little easier for the kid, but I doubt it's 100% true.

goblazers7
11-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I will pay the blazers ten dollars to dress in a suit and sit on the bench

DLeeicious
11-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I find it hard to believe that they've made this decision already. A qualifying offer of almost 9 million for a guy who will have played in only 82 games over his first four years? That'll bring the grand total of their investment up to almost 30 million dollars, with very little to show for it.

It makes for a nice story and it'll probably make rehab a little easier for the kid, but I doubt it's 100% true.

It says in the article something along the lines of "if we see what we need to see from him". Basically this is a great way for them to motivate him to work his *** off. He wants the 8.8 mil - he's gonna have to bust his *** in rehab to get it. So yeah I doubt they made up their minds, this is a nice posturing move by them to encourage him.

Slimsim
11-19-2010, 07:27 PM
life is good for Mr Oden

John Walls Era
11-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Why can't I be a 7 footer who is decently athletic... :sigh: I'm blaming my parents!

commonsense12
11-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow i normally agree with most signings or trades that the Blazers do, but this has my head shaking. I dont see any team signing him to more then a MLE and even that is asking a lot. Weird IMO.

I just dont see him coming back and being anywhere near what he could have been.

GspLAL
11-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Guess I'm the only one who sees it as motivation.

Silent
11-19-2010, 07:47 PM
He should play for free if the blazers decide they want him back

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Why can't I be a 7 footer who is decently athletic... :sigh: I'm blaming my parents!

i been blaming my parents for years i always ask my dad why he couldnt marry some 6'10"-7'0" amazon lady so i could atleast be 6'6" but no my dad wants to marry my mom who is 5'0" and he's 5'10 which leaves me at a tall 5'9" damn you dad lol i could of been a nba player i can jump now but only if i was 7in taller:(

but im glad they decided to resign greg he's young and can come back from injury i just hope this time he has alot of braces and loses the weight he put on when he came out of college if he didnt have that extra 50-60 pounds he put on he wouldnt be injured his frame wasnt built for that weight

NYYCowboys
11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
i been blaming my parents for years i always ask my dad why he couldnt marry some 6'10"-7'0" amazon lady so i could atleast be 6'6" but no my dad wants to marry my mom who is 5'0" and he's 5'10 which leaves me at a tall 5'9" damn you dad lol i could of been a nba player i can jump now but only if i was 7in taller:(

No you wouldn't exist if that happened.....

John Walls Era
11-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Guess I'm the only one who sees it as motivation.

If being out for almost 3/4 years and having everyone call you a bust, doesn't motivate an athlete then Oden should just retire.

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow i normally agree with most signings or trades that the Blazers do, but this has my head shaking. I dont see any team signing him to more then a MLE and even that is asking a lot. Weird IMO.

I just dont see him coming back and being anywhere near what he could have been.

he's 22 when your 22 you heal fast! my sons 22 and had a few surgery's on ankles calfs and knees and he runs the same speed he did before injury, it just takes a good rehab program and i doubt his health care is better then odens
oden will return to form and portland wont pay even close to 6 million unless utah,OKC offer more

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
No you wouldn't exist if that happened.....

you dont know that! lol dont bring up your science over here lol

ManRam
11-19-2010, 08:02 PM
They can't give up on him. His upside is still worth it.

I'm not ready to call him a bust yet, because unlike some of the greatest busts, like Curry and Kandi...Oden has proved he can absolutely ball when he's healthy. He will be healthy someday.

Ezio
11-19-2010, 08:05 PM
wat can u do? warm the bench? wash the player's jersey? carry their luggage? i'l give u 4.4 dollars for those :p

For 4.4 million, I would give the starters the best high-5s money can buy :p

Corey
11-19-2010, 08:07 PM
There's no reason for them not to offer him the 8.8 sheet.

king4day
11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Really can't blame them. It's for one year. It's a lot of money, but god forbid he blows up with another team, then that would make Portland basketball miserable for a long time.

LakersA's49ers
11-19-2010, 08:19 PM
waste of cash. I've was saying since the day the Blazers won the lottery, and this is not a lie, and that was to pick Kevin Durant number 1. When i went on the website to vote, I voted Durant for #1. Oden had an 87/13 demolition derby on him. Who's laughing now?

Corey
11-19-2010, 08:23 PM
waste of cash. I've was saying since the day the Blazers won the lottery, and this is not a lie, and that was to pick Kevin Durant number 1. When i went on the website to vote, I voted Durant for #1. Oden had an 87/13 demolition derby on him. Who's laughing now?

There was a huge population of PSD that said Oden would be a bust, myself included.

I don't remember any polls, but there were a **** ton of people that believed Durant was a better pick.

llemon
11-19-2010, 08:33 PM
There's no reason for them not to offer him the 8.8 sheet.

Of course. Paul Allen can certainly afford it.

It's not like any team without a billionaire owner is going to offer Oden more.

Nice little Workers' Comp package for Oden also.

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 08:37 PM
There was a huge population of PSD that said Oden would be a bust, myself included.

I don't remember any polls, but there were a **** ton of people that believed Durant was a better pick.

not how i remember it! everybody was doing the complete opposite

now that durants a superstar everybodys saying i said that along time ago that my friend is catching a ride on the bandwagon

feddi420
11-19-2010, 08:38 PM
why don't they just offer an incentive laden deal instead?

DoMeFavors
11-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Cant believe he made millions of dollars playing like 30 games in 3 years and watching from the sidelines. Life is good.

kingbrentg
11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Cant believe he made millions of dollars playing like 30 games in 3 years and watching from the sidelines. Life is good.

Do you want Favors to do you? Or do you want someone to do favors, such as getting your mail, for you?

GspLAL
11-19-2010, 09:02 PM
If being out for almost 3/4 years and having everyone call you a bust, doesn't motivate an athlete then Oden should just retire.

Not really, it SHOULD motivate you, but being injured that often can break someone.

llemon
11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
why don't they just offer an incentive laden deal instead?

Because then, Oden will take an offer sheet from someone.

drew_ellis_23
11-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Might as well but I would rather trade him now as a expiring in a deal for someone else to gamble on and just move on.

Rafer17
11-19-2010, 09:59 PM
overpaid. i think okc should pick him up. they need a big man

GSRaider
11-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Sheesh... That's a lot of money!!! But I go think IF ( IF ) he can stay healthy ( IF ), he's worth the money...

tmacsc2
11-19-2010, 10:39 PM
:facepalm:

ChiSox219
11-19-2010, 11:10 PM
There are two types of free agency: unrestricted and restricted. An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any other team, and there's nothing the player's original team can do to prevent it. Restricted free agency gives the player's original team the right to keep the player by matching an offer sheet the player signs with another team. This is called the "right of first refusal."

Restricted free agency exists only on a limited basis. It is allowed following the fourth year of rookie "scale" contracts for first round draft picks (see question number 42). It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who have been in the league three or fewer seasons. However, a first round draft pick becomes an unrestricted free agent following his second or third season if his team does not exercise its option to extend the player's rookie scale contract for the next season. All other free agency is limited to unrestricted free agency.

In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. This prevents the team from not offering a contract and waiting to swoop in when the player tries to sign elsewhere. The qualifying offer ensures that the team does not gain the right of first refusal without also offering a contract themselves. The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position (see question number 42). The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 11) plus $175,000, whichever is greater. The qualifying offer must be for one season. A player can elect to accept his qualifying offer (the qualifying offer must be accepted by March 1) and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done in order to become an unrestricted free agent the following summer (see question number 39).

A qualifying offer cannot be accepted after March 1. Teams may place a shorter time limit on their qualifying offer, specifying any date between October 1 and March 1 by which it must be accepted. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, then the player continues to be a restricted free agent. The team and player are also still free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer ends -- the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept the qualifying offer.

Teams may also withdraw an outstanding qualifying offer in which case the player becomes unrestricted. This happened with Toronto and Keon Clark in 2002. The qualifying offer cannot be withdrawn after July 23 without the player's approval.

This move is a no-brainer for Portland.

Baller1
11-19-2010, 11:35 PM
There's not really any good words to describe this news, so I'll go with Brent.

Weird.

Raph12
11-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Well at least he'll get paid regardless if he has a successful career or not.

IAmKira
11-20-2010, 01:37 AM
For 4.4 million, I would give the starters the best high-5s money can buy :p

for 4.4mil.. u better be rdy be on ur knee to scratch their balls if u have to lol..

jiggin
11-20-2010, 08:46 AM
they have invested so much in him not only in salary but in medical attention ect... that its kind of a no brainer if they can get him on that plus incentives.

Plain and simple, in non-nice terms, Oden OWES portland...there should be NO DISCUSSION about him accepting WHATEVER the blazers off him. The blazers and portland (fan base) have done nothing but imbrace him and continue to support him through the frustrating rollercoast ride that is his early career in the NBA. If he has even an OUNCE of decency in him, he will fight hard to make it right not only for himself and his NBA career but also to give back to the franchise that has carried him thus far in his career. He is LOVED in portland even with as few minutes and little impact on the court. If HE chooses to walk away, it will be a pretty horrible PR move on a pretty lacks stat line.

nbafan63
11-20-2010, 08:55 AM
they have invested so much in him not only in salary but in medical attention ect... that its kind of a no brainer if they can get him on that plus incentives.

Plain and simple, in non-nice terms, Oden OWES portland...there should be NO DISCUSSION about him accepting WHATEVER the blazers off him. The blazers and portland (fan base) have done nothing but imbrace him and continue to support him through the frustrating rollercoast ride that is his early career in the NBA. If he has even an OUNCE of decency in him, he will fight hard to make it right not only for himself and his NBA career but also to give back to the franchise that has carried him thus far in his career. He is LOVED in portland even with as few minutes and little impact on the court. If HE chooses to walk away, it will be a pretty horrible PR move on a pretty lacks stat line.

Sorry, I might be wrong....but isn't Oden a Restricted Free Agent this summer? Meaning Portland has the option to match any offers?

jiggin
11-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Sorry, I might be wrong....but isn't Oden a Restricted Free Agent this summer? Meaning Portland has the option to match any offers?

yep, they get first dibs on him and if someone else makes a bigger offer, the blazers have the right to match that to retain him.

I seriously doubt teams go large money on him...most will offer a decent salary (starting at the 8.8 starting offer due to his draft position) but will most likely go incentive based or with a team option to protect themselves. I also would imagine the contracts offered wouldn't be to long in length, since his goal will be to redefine himself in the league and then cash in on his hard rehab work.

It would only take one "decent to strong" season for him to bank big time in a FA market. He was hoping that was this year, but it looks like 1 - 2 year deals to make good on his name are his only options.

PS - They found out he needed surgery because he was playing one on one full strength against Joel Przybilla (who returns nov 26th). When he came off the court after looking nearly 100%, one of the trainers came over to tell him he looked good and Oden said, "yeah, but it doesn't feel right." They had him examined and found he needed a little more work in there. Point being, the guy was on the floor playing ball and looking nearly 100%.

PHX2daDEATH
11-20-2010, 01:17 PM
was about to create a thread asking about this..i'm hoping they don't re-sign so he can come to phoenix, drops down to 260-270 and has a hall of fame career.. if they keep Grant Hill going maybe Oden would have a slight chance, they got Amare to come back from micro-fracture...

Hunter48MVP
11-20-2010, 01:20 PM

me too

Antipod
11-20-2010, 01:50 PM
8.8 mil for what? missing another season due to injury ? :facepalm:

Ethix11
11-20-2010, 02:09 PM
They should trade him asap while he still has some value left in him.

jiggin
11-20-2010, 02:37 PM
8.8 is the qualifying offer they have to give based on where he was taken in the draft...

jiggin
11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
They should trade him asap while he still has some value left in him.

they wouldn't get anything for him, and would be closing the book not only on him with the blazers but all they invested in him including medical attention, rehab ect...

...the portland community has invested a lot in him as well.

This also may come down to trying to salvage SOMETHING from that number 1 selection. At the time, every GM in the game said they would have gone with Oden. Hind sight sucks sometimes...and the desire to make it somewhat right has to be in the minds of not only blazer brass but hopefully oden himself (unless he is a money hungry *******). He owes portland a return and SOME production.

alencp3
11-20-2010, 03:32 PM

I would watch WNBA for that money :drool:

jiggin
11-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I would watch WNBA for that money :drool:

now I know your crazy

jimbobjarree
11-20-2010, 09:20 PM
thats one expensive cheerleader

Blazers#1Fan
11-20-2010, 10:06 PM
thats one expensive cheerleader

with alot of upside

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-23-2010, 12:09 PM

lol shiiiiiiiiiiiiii. I can do all that, thats more then Oden does :laugh:

John Walls Era
11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Nice to be a 7 footer.

champ101695
11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
wow

xbrackattackx
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Of course they do not want to lose face.

First Oden, Then Taking Roy with all the stop signs he had on his knees.
They are hoping Oden DESTROYS it next year so they don't look like they made the wrong choice.
To be Honest I want him to succeed and what a story it would be.