PDA

View Full Version : Zach Harper: "Want To Play a Game?"

Baller1
11-19-2010, 03:11 PM
We have two players available for your selection. We'll call them Player A and Player B. Both were on teams that won 50-plus games last season. Both were on teams that made the postseason. Both currently play on teams that have another superstar on them. Both players are currently their team's second-leading scorer. And both players primarily play point guard for their teams and are high-quality defenders.

Player A vs Player B: 2010-11 Season

Player A: 23.3 PPG, 44.8 FG Pct, 5.5 RPG, 8.1 APG

Player B: 22.1 PPG, 44.6 FG Pct, 5.8 RPG, 8.9 APG

Player A is 22 years old. His birthday was Nov. 12.

Player B is 25 years old. He'll be 26 on Dec. 30.

Player A is making about $4 million this season, which is seventh-most on his team.

Player B signed a $110 million contract in the offseason and is making about $14.5 million this season.

Who would you rather have?

Player A has never been an All-Star. He has never been a scoring champion. He has never made an All-NBA team. He has never been an MVP. He has never won an Olympic gold medal.

Player B is a six-time All-Star and a two-time All-Star Game MVP. He is a former scoring champion. He is a six-time All-NBA performer. He is a two-time MVP. He won the 2008 Olympic gold medal on Team USA.

How about now?

Player A is Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Player B is LeBron James of the Miami Heat.

That is sort of a fun little game, right?

The point of this isnít to say Russell Westbrook is better than LeBron James (unless youíre really looking for another reason to disparage the Heat; then you should have at it). Itís just funny how stats and attributes can seem so even when we take away the star names of the players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/21823/want-to-play-a-game

I thought it was interesting, probably because I'm biased. But whatever, I thought I'd share it.

Gibby23
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Player A would get killed by most SF's in the NBA every night, Player A can guard alot of PG's like he has against CP3 and D Will. Player B will also make a ton of money for his team and the NBA. Player A will get paid soon, so it doesn't make sense to throw out his rookie contract numbers and Player A isn't even top 5 at his position or top 5 in the NBA while player B is top's at his position and top 2 in the NBA.

Mane
11-19-2010, 03:23 PM
But why is he the best in the NBA when statistically he isn't? ^^

Gibby23
11-19-2010, 03:24 PM
But why is he the best in the NBA when statistically he isn't? ^^

Because he isn't asked to do most of the scoring or playmaking on the team he is on.

Mane
11-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Because he isn't asked to do most of the scoring or playmaking on the team he is on.

I understand, but their shooting is basically the same. You can't say he's missing shots because his team doesn't need him to make shots..

Afridi786
11-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Russell Westbrook is the best player in the nba.

Gibby23
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I understand, but their shooting is basically the same. You can't say he's missing shots because his team doesn't need him to make shots..

We know Lebrons track record. 2 time MVP, 6 time all star, 4 time all nba 1st team, 2 time all defensive 1st team, has led his team to the best record in the NBA the last 2 years, and he is only 25 and you have to be naive if you think he has fallen off. Just a new system with more weapons.

Mane
11-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Nah, deshawn Stevenson.

Baller1

That's what I'm saying.

GeekInThePink
that was ****ing awesome.

Mane
11-19-2010, 03:34 PM
We know Lebrons track record. 2 time MVP, 6 time all star, 4 time all nba 1st team, 2 time all defensive 1st team, has led his team to the best record in the NBA the last 2 years, and he is only 25 and you have to be naive if you think he has fallen off. Just a new system with more weapons.

I can agree with all of this. Yeah, I was just asking a rhetorical question, obviously it's just a very short stretch of one season, so it means relatively nothing.

daleja424
11-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Player A is also having a career high season while player B is having a career low season...

and Player B faces a double team and traps to get th eball out of his hand... while Player A gets to destroy one on one coverage all game...

...but it has only been 11 games...

daleja424
11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
not trying to knock Westbrook though... he is a BEAST!

Afridi786
That's what I'm saying.

Really good for Durant tho, when teams double or even triple team Westbrook, Durant can have some wide open looks from the perimeter, bodes well for OKC.

Sactown

Because he is more talented the Russel Westbrook on both ends of the floor.. because he isn't asked to do it doesn't mean he can't.. Lebron can go out and get you 30/7/7 a game with ease... westbrook can't that's why he's better.. when you're in a clutch situation who would you rather have the ball.. on the break who would you rather get infront of and take a charge from? Lebron is a beast in every aspect of the game, and you're not going to see a 6'8 250 pounder run the floor like he does with the vision he has..

Mane
11-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Because he is more talented the Russel Westbrook on both ends of the floor.. because he isn't asked to do it doesn't mean he can't.. Lebron can go out and get you 30/7/7 a game with ease... westbrook can't that's why he's better.. when you're in a clutch situation who would you rather have the ball.. on the break who would you rather get infront of and take a charge from? Lebron is a beast in every aspect of the game, and you're not going to see a 6'8 250 pounder run the floor like he does with the vision he has..

:laugh2: obviously I know lebron is a better player, I was just playing along with "the game"

ManRam
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM

This is clear proof of that. At worst this proves that Russy>LeBron. Duh.

Russell Westbrook is not better, never will be better, and never should be considered better than LeBron. I love Russy, I really, really, really do...but this means nothing, and these types of games work for a ton of guys. I could convince you Eric Gordon is better than Joe Johnson; Rudy Gay is better than Kobe, Melo, etc.; that Millsap is as good as Howard and so on.

Nothing really to extrapolate from this at all...except that Russell Westrbook is a very good player...but we already knew that. Let alone the fact that this is based on a handful of games, and LeBron's past numbers are now null (which they never should be considered). No one should ever do a statistical comparison between anyone and LeBron, because LeBron would probably crush them if he took that player's spot on their own team...or at least destroy them based on his numbers on the Cavs the last few years. He obviously isn't going to put up the huge stats any more...at least not as huge in all the major categories. And his FG% will get to 48-50% by the end of the year.

Baller1
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Really good for Durant tho, when teams double or even triple team Westbrook, Durant can have some wide open looks from the perimeter, bodes well for OKC.

Well as of now, Durant is still getting all of the double teams, which is probably why Westbrook is thriving right now.

Soon enough it will be a pick your poison type thing (hopefully). Wanna get torched by Durant or Westbrook?

Mane
11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Well as of now, Durant is still getting all of the double teams, which is probably why Westbrook is thriving right now.

Soon enough it will be a pick your poison type thing (hopefully). Wanna get torched by Durant or Westbrook?

And there's always SuRGE!!!

Baller1
11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
This is clear proof of that. At worst this proves that Russy>LeBron. Duh.

Russell Westbrook is not better, never will be better, and never should be considered better than LeBron. I love Russy, I really, really, really do...but this means nothing, and these types of games work for a ton of guys. I could convince you Eric Gordon is better than Joe Johnson; Rudy Gay is better than Kobe, Melo, etc.; that Millsap is as good as Howard and so on.

Nothing really to extrapolate from this at all...except that Russell Westrbook is a very good player...but we already knew that. Let alone the fact that this is based on a handful of games, and LeBron's past numbers are now null (which they never should be considered).

Oh I know. It's just like the statistic thread from this morning. Doesn't really mean much at all, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Afridi786
11-19-2010, 03:43 PM

I was playing the "game." I know the reason that he's thriving is that he has Durant alongside him for most of the game...lot easier to do so rather than being with Deng for instance...:)

Mane
Oh I know. It's just like the statistic thread from this morning. Doesn't really mean much at all, but I thought it was worth sharing.

It really is worth sharing, because it's interesting to look at how players can be better beyond statistics.

Baller1
And there's always SuRGE!!!

I seriously love him so much.

Ibaka Flocka Flame... Can't **** with him.

Baller1
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I was playing the "game." I know the reason that he's thriving is that he has Durant alongside him for most of the game...lot easier to do so rather than being with Deng for instance...:)

Deng is actually playing more efficiently than Durant right now if I'm not mistaken. Just sayin' :laugh2:

But let's not get into this.

Afridi786
11-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Deng is actually playing more efficiently than Durant right now if I'm not mistaken. Just sayin' :laugh2:

But let's not get into this.

I wish, Deng is a scrub. Pretty much everyone except Noah and Rose is a scrub, only one who can create his own shot on our whole team is Rose until Boozer returns. Pretty sad. :(

valpo34
11-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Lebron is not primarily a point guard.

Baller1
11-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I wish, Deng is a scrub. Pretty much everyone except Noah and Rose is a scrub, only one who can create his own shot on our whole team is Rose until Boozer returns. Pretty sad. :(

True. But luckily for you guys, Deng is playing his best ball right now, so he's salvaging you guys until Boozer comes back.

Cool007
11-19-2010, 04:07 PM
As soon as I saw Baller posting, I knew it would be to show off his love for Westbrook.

Not surprised.

Do you realize that by playing this game, you can make Zach Randolph better than KG, or Noah better than Duncan etc.

Baller1
11-19-2010, 04:09 PM
As soon as I saw Baller posting, I knew it would be to show off his love for Westbrook.

Not surprised.

Do you realize that by playing this game, you can make Zach Randolph better than KG, or Noah better than Duncan etc.

Do you realize I didn't write the article?

Cool007
11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
True. But luckily for you guys, Deng is playing his best ball right now, so he's salvaging you guys until Boozer comes back.

No, Deng is NOT playing his best ball right now.

Take away his 1 FLUKE game where he was lights out and scored 40-points, he is shooting measely 36% and taking ton of shots.

If that is your 2nd best option, your team would be lucky to win 1-2 games.

Thank god for Rose or we would be 1 sucky team.

Rose and Westbrook are 2 good friends and Westbrook and Durant are my 2 fav non bulls players.

Hope Durant gets in beast mode ala last year.

Cool007
11-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Do you realize I didn't write the article?

I was just messin' with ya. ;)

Minimal
11-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Player A will get a trauma if Player B runs into him.

Nah joking. Russell Westbrook is a beast and a top 4 point guard for me after Paul, Williams and Rondo and he actually reminds me a smaller version of LeBron.

Super.
11-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Nah, deshawn Stevenson.

Mike James begs to differ

Baller1
11-19-2010, 04:22 PM
No, Deng is NOT playing his best ball right now.

Take away his 1 FLUKE game where he was lights out and scored 40-points, he is shooting measely 36% and taking ton of shots.

If that is your 2nd best option, your team would be lucky to win 1-2 games.

Thank god for Rose or we would be 1 sucky team.

Rose and Westbrook are 2 good friends and Westbrook and Durant are my 2 fav non bulls players.

Hope Durant gets in beast mode ala last year.

I'm sure he will. In comparison to his first 11 games last year, he's actually playing better. So maybe he's just consistent in being inconsistent to start seasons.

Baller1
11-19-2010, 04:25 PM
I was just messin' with ya. ;)

Oh alright. I couldn't tell; I'm unanimously hated by Bulls fans, so I don't ever know when to take it as a joke or get defensive... :laugh2:

HoopsDrive
11-19-2010, 04:51 PM

rapjuicer06
11-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh this is a fun game! my turn

player A-
11.8-19.6-FGM/FGA 59.9% 5.9-10.5-FTM/FTA 55.4% .9 SPG 2.9 BPG 13.2 RPG 2.4 APG 29.3 PPG

player B-
7.1-11.9-FGM/FGA 59.9% 6.5-10.9-FTM/FTA 59% .9 SPG 2.1 BPG 14.2 RPG 1.3 APG 20.7 PPG

who's better? both are 21 years old