PDA

View Full Version : BBR/Hollinger Schedule Adjusted Power Rankings Power Rankings

daleja424
11-19-2010, 01:38 PM
What do you all think of these schedule adjusted power rankings in general? There was recently a thread about Hollinger's ranking system in the main NBA forum and people acted very silly in there...so I thought I would propose it to you all (a group that seems to be slightly more likely to read about the system before calling Hollinger biased for not having LA number one in the rankings).

Here is what Hollinger's rankings say right now:
1. Miami (111.434)
2. Boston (108.752)
3. New Orleans (108.631)
4. Los Angeles (107.559)
5. San Antonio (105.193)
(6. Orlando, 7. Milwaukee, 8. Dallas, 9. Chicago, 10. Utah)

I also looked around the web for other mathematically derived power rankings and came up with another one...

-Basketball-Reference has a formula (slightly different but rankings are similar): http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8207

anyways... both of these systems (in slightly different ways) compare offensive and defensive prowess and factor in scheduling factors...and ignore actual W-L all together...

thoughts on this system?

-And USA Today does a composite ranking system

arkanian215
12-25-2010, 04:37 AM
They didn't seem to update this. I like the SOS one Hollinger has but it comes up short by not taking into account back to backs.