PDA

View Full Version : The Wesley Matthews signing - not laughable after all?

DitchDat
11-19-2010, 04:58 AM
Portland signed him off Utah's scrap heap over the summer, I believe it was for 30 million dollar or something like that. With Roy out, and this Matthews kid really stepping up in his absence, did the Blazers do good with his contract after all?

abe_froman
11-19-2010, 05:02 AM
who ever thought it was bad in the first place?

Mane
11-19-2010, 05:03 AM
Hmmm. I still don't think his contract is the greatest, but he was overall a good signing. Does anyone question that?

It's a front loaded contract, so while he's 24,25,26, aka his prime, they'll have a solid bench player and a player who could start for most teams, and step in for spot starts behind Roy. Can't think it's a necessarily BAD signing, in any way.

Matrix3132
11-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Hmmm. I still don't think his contract is the greatest, but he was overall a good signing. Does anyone question that?

It's a front loaded contract, so while he's 24,25,26, aka his prime, they'll have a solid bench player and a player who could start for most teams, and step in for spot starts behind Roy. Can't think it's a necessarily BAD signing, in any way.

Step in at times for Roy? Aren't you following him at all, career in serious jeopardy, he's already admitted to needing to change his game and could become a role player sooner than you think...

Mane
11-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Step in at times for Roy? Aren't you following him at all, career in serious jeopardy, he's already admitted to needing to change his game and could become a role player sooner than you think...

Yes, and that's what I mean.

He can step in and start for Roy.. He can't fill his shoes obviously, but he can be a solid starter :shrug:

I don't mean "step in at times" I just mean step in general, and he'll need to if the Blazers want a chance of going anywhere, which is looking like a real sad story of a team.

BlinkManJan02
11-19-2010, 05:49 AM
My how time flies, on the local news I remember them talking about where he was going to play college ball at. Now he's loaded.

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Yes, and that's what I mean.

He can step in and start for Roy.. He can't fill his shoes obviously, but he can be a solid starter :shrug:

I don't mean "step in at times" I just mean step in general, and he'll need to if the Blazers want a chance of going anywhere, which is looking like a real sad story of a team.

:facepalm:

he started the 16th and got 30PTS 1BLK 2 STL 3AST 3 REBS
he started the 18th and got 20PTS 10 REBS 2BLK 1STL 2 AST

seems like starting numbers to me and he hit 3 key 3point shots to put the blazers ahead of the nuggets he is a very good player and is playing better then most starting SG's i think he is a starter easily if he repeats this all season

Mane
11-19-2010, 05:57 AM

he started the 16th and got 30points
he started the 18th and got 20Points and 10 Reboounds

seems like starting numbers to me and he hit 3 key 3point shots to put the blazers ahead of the nuggets he is a very good player and is playing better then most starting SG's i think he is a starter easily if he repeats this all season

That's why I said he can be a solid starter :shrug:

I think he's a damn good player, this is ms agreeing with you :laugh2:

MU and UW Fan
11-19-2010, 06:17 AM
I remember watching him play at Madison Memorial and then saw him play a bunch at Marquette. Did he get quite a bit of money? yes. But so do many other players who never live up to their contracts. Only time will tell. Maybe he will play better than the contract he got. He's certainly a heck of a player and as long as Roy is out he will put up great numbers. Congrats on your success Wes. We miss you in the 608 and 414.

kingbrentg
11-19-2010, 06:30 AM

he started the 16th and got 30PTS 1BLK 2 STL 3AST 3 REBS
he started the 18th and got 20PTS 10 REBS 2BLK 1STL 2 AST

What do you want him to say? :laugh2:

He could be a solid starter, no need to christen him a superstar after two games..

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
That's why I said he can be a solid starter :shrug:

I think he's a damn good player, this is ms agreeing with you :laugh2:

i swore it said he cant but SHlT happens must be my lack of sleep lol yeah he will get better i think he can fill roys shoes if he can up his Assist

PS nice sig better then all these sigs of garbage metaphor rappers(lilwayne wiz khalifa) only you and somebody else i seen have good rappers(mos & AZ) on there sig i was gonna put that on the last one but forgot

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
What do you want him to say? :laugh2:

He could be a solid starter, no need to christen him a superstar after two games..

im thinking future allstar if he keeps this up lol

saintl2510
11-19-2010, 09:10 AM
im thinking future allstar if he keeps this up lol true i agreee with that

Giannis94
11-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Making marquette proud!!!

Melo15
11-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Who said it was laughable? I thought it seemed like a good deal for both sides.

xbrackattackx
11-19-2010, 11:47 AM
The kid has a nice stroke and 2 good knees. The Blazers obviously knew that ROY would be going down soon. Good thinking for the future move.

dodie53
11-19-2010, 11:48 AM
portland should trade Roy now.
hehe

Hunter48MVP
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
true i agreee with that

me too.

b_russ
11-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I wish he was still with us, I thought it was a bad idea to let him go even with that contract, because pretty soon that's going to be a solid signing even at that price with what he's going to do.

Mishmin
11-19-2010, 12:33 PM
you know, I like his penetration ability, he's a solid defender and rebounder, and he's shooting well... but his jump shot is 'sans' jump. Consequently, it will be interesting seeing how that shot is after he's in a regular scouting report, and he's crowded. Other than that, I got tons of love for him.

AK-47
11-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I wish he still played for the jazz! But his signing was too large compared to what the jazz could match. He was a fan favorite for an undrafted rookie coming in and starting for us and actually giving us quality starter minutes.

OBredskin
11-19-2010, 01:50 PM
The contract was for 34 million, still a lot of money for a player who was supposed to come off the bench....it's not like he's Ginobli. But whatever they paid for him, I know they are happy to have him in Portland.

Trouble87
11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't remember anyone thinking it was a bad deal

if anything I wondered why the Jazz would trade Ronnie Brewer & let Wesley Matthews go just to pick up Raja Bell

THE_FLASH_21
11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Thats why Utah was pissed when we lost him. Portlands front office is full of **** doe. They try to take away Milsap, but our money issues made us lose Matthews. All Utah fans know how great he is gonna be.

Lo Porto
11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
As a Jazz fan, I was pissed that we didn't match on that offer and keep him this summer. All the other Jazz guys can confirm that. Wes will be a good player for a long time.

JayW_1023
11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Underrated. His game has less flair than Roys, but he is more physical, a better wing defender and rebounder.

zambo4president
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I thought it was a low-key steal at the time actually, considering his potential and he's signed for quite a few years he might develop into a player deserving of that contract or more.

Sadds The Gr8
11-19-2010, 02:56 PM
i thought it was terrible because it seemed stupid to sign someone for 30 mil just to play behind your best player, when they could've gotten someone for way cheaper. but now it looks good cuz Roy is hurt.

AK-47
11-19-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't remember anyone thinking it was a bad deal

if anything I wondered why the Jazz would trade Ronnie Brewer & let Wesley Matthews go just to pick up Raja Bell

Bell was a lot cheaper. I think the first year of the Portland deal for Matthews including a lot of money and the jazz could not afford to match. Portland wanted the Jazz to match the offer. Just like they offered millsap a crazy contract, at that time, and the jazz luckily could afford the match that offer.

jimbobjarree
11-19-2010, 04:44 PM
It wasnt a laughable contract, but IMO it came 2 or 3 years too soon. One season wasnt enough to see if he was worth 30 million or not. Portland trying to screw the Jazz out of their talent worked due to our financial situation unfortunately. If it was next season with AK expiring, I'm certain we would have matched.

Byronicle
11-19-2010, 04:58 PM
what was so funny? undrafted, worked hard, played better and as good as most rookies that year as well as thrived in a system of a HOF coach, the signing maybe a bit high but the potential of getting a good player outweights the risk of having a bad contract

Blazers#1Fan
11-19-2010, 05:15 PM
why's everybody saying the blazers are trying to screw utah we have alot of respect for utah we play them alot so we get to see there players alot i really liked milsap wish we could of got him, and matthews is a good player you cant say we are trying to screw your team when we want your players and look what there doing seems like there legit players to go after right or wrong? if we were not in the same division you wouldnt even say that you would say they want good players! right or wrong?

if we could get milsap,matthews,Williams why not try?

jimbobjarree
11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
^who can blame you for wanting to screw Utah over, after all, you guys did more or less trade us Deron Williams for Martell Webster and Linus Kleiza, and screwing overs dont get much worse than that!

hugepatsfan
11-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I thought it was a great deal for POR from the start. I wanted BOS to offer him the full MLE to be a bench player for 2 years before replacing Ray. I love his game.

HakeemTheDream
11-20-2010, 03:42 AM
I've seen this kid do a good job defending Kobe, and he shut down Melo last game, he is clearly worth the money.

checkit
11-20-2010, 06:43 AM
eh, it was never a bad signing. lots of folk slept on matthews.

BradyIsTheMan12
11-20-2010, 07:19 AM
When people look at the Wes Matthews deal and the attempt at getting Milsap as "Trying to screw the Jazz" they are just wrong. Obviously each player was worth a lot more at the time than most believed. Credit to the Jazz for finding these guys and growing them into good NBA players.

Also, a lot of people believed the Matthews deal was bad. I'm not surprised how quickly many(not all) are forgetting what they said when the deal went down. Usually when a player comes out and performs big when they are given the opportunity people will become forgetful of what they said in the past :laugh2: We didn't really have any other use for the money, and we saw what he did with Utah and capitalized fortunately. Did we overpay at the time? Yes, but otherwise Utah would have matched the offer and we would be in a world of trouble with Roy out of the lineup.

As for Matthews going forward, I think he definitely can get better. Am I ready to call him a future All-Star? No, but he can be a very important player for us, especially with Roy's knee issues. He's a great fit stylistically for us, plays great defense, can penetrate, and has shown an outside shot that I didn't think he had in his repertoire. I love me some Wes Matthews.

nbafan63
11-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Trade Brandon Roy for expiring contracts and draft picks. Wesley Mathews is the next Brandon Roy.

nbafan63
11-20-2010, 08:07 AM
And Wes Mathews is much better looking than Brandon Roy. Roy looks like a Neanderthal

Quasimoto
11-20-2010, 01:44 PM
This.

Dumb Thread Title.

IndiansFan337
11-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Portland signed him off Utah's scrap heap over the summer, I believe it was for 30 million dollar or something like that. With Roy out, and this Matthews kid really stepping up in his absence, did the Blazers do good with his contract after all?
He has stepped up in Roy's absence & it is making the contract look less terrible. But he needs to do this all year in order to justify the money that he got on that 5 year contract.

Everyone.