PDA

View Full Version : Do the Miami Heat fans care about basketball?

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM
After the Miami Heat organization called out Heat “Fans” earlier in the week with their “Fan Up” campaign (http://bit.ly/cPYkVZ), it’s the clear the fans got the message. The Miami Heat, the most publicized and hyped team in maybe NBA history, faced off against the Phoenix Suns last night on the primetime ESPN game. As you’ll see below, the fans got the message loud and clear, packed in the arena and gave other fan bases across the country something to strive for. If every team had fans like the Miami Heat, the NBA would take over the world!!!

Here is the picture of the arena, literally FIVE MINUTES prior to tip-off:

And here is the arena FIVE MINUTES AFTER TIPOFF!

That’s right, after the team mortgaged their future on the attempt to land the 3 most coveted free agents in the biggest free agent class in the history of the NBA, the fans still don’t care. Miami fans have been spoiled with a championship won with Shaq & Dwyane Wade and now with the acquisition of the “Big 3″. Despite putting together the most hyped team in the history of the NBA, the franchise still needed to carry out a PSA like campaign to not only get fans interested, but to teach them how to be fans!

You read that correctly… the Heat organization is literally trying to teach their “fans” how to be fans. They’re telling them that fans show up before tip-off, cheer during the game, stay for the entire game, and actually show up for games not just have them on the TV in the background while they do blow and listen to techno music.

Ok, obviously I’m being a little sarcastic and general. I know not everyone who lives in Miami listens to techno!

But the reality is, Miami has long had one of the worst fan bases in the country and landing the “Big 3″ didn’t and won’t change anything. The Heat organization has done everything they could possibly do to drudge up fan interest and it just isn’t there. Not only have they assembled one of the most talented teams in the NBA, but they’re investing in an ad campaign to literally teach people what it means to be a fan. And to top it all off, they’re offering food and drink specials to the 2 dozen people who actually show up for the game on time!

I saw a comment last night from a Miami “Fan” who was arguing that the Heat has MILLIONS of fans but she was whining that tickets are too expensive so people don’t show up. That’s right, tickets in L.A., NY, Boston, Chicago or anywhere else are so much cheaper than in Miami. The Miami “Fans” use the news of a $25,000 ticket as an excuse when that only applied on one night and to floor seats. Never mind the thousands of affordable seats that are available for true fans every single night. Even worse, I saw a comment from a Heat fan where he literally bought tickets for last night's game for $20 (Face Value of $60). C'mon now... too expensive?

More likely, this person and 90% of the people in Miami are ignorant as to what it means to be a fan and the Heat’s recent educational attempt proves my point. They actually think that if you watch them on TV occassionally once they’re “good” that it makes them a fan.

How about no…. just ask fans in New York, Chicago, L.A. (sometimes a bad example but the Lakers are consistently loved), Cleveland, Detroit, Boston, or a couple dozen other regions across the country what it really means to be a fan. Some fan bases have literally gone a hundred years without a winner and yet they’re more representative of what it means to be a fan than those hacks down on South Beach will ever be, no matter how many rings their team ends up winning.

I know some true fans in Miami and in Florida in general and they too are disgusted and embarrassed by the fan base not only of the Heat but of the Marlins, Rays, Buccaneers, etc. There are some great fans in Florida, but unfortunately for them, they’re outnumbered by about 10 to 1.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/15275

Wow. I saw the ad today for the first time. Only time I ever remember a full stadium is when they won their championship. I really don't think the Miami Heat fans care about basketball. I'm sure members on this forum who are heat fans are loving Bosh, Wade and LBJ but there are plenty more representing not caring one bit.

If Miami can't sell out home games with Lebron, Wade and Bosh on their team, they should consider a move to Seattle. At least the Sonic's fan base had a little more pride in their team.

I can't believe that with their all-star team, it still isn't enough to put butts in seats!

WOW. This is going to hurt Knicks fans a lot because they have such a deep passion for their team. If the Knicks had even 2 of those 3 playing in NY, they would have fans sleeping in sleeping bags outside MSG.

Its like seeing a pretty girl with an ugly boyfriend. ugh. A team of GREAT players with a horrible fan base.

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 09:42 PM
wow........ lmao "not just have them on the TV in the background while they do blow and listen to techno music." favorite line of the article, by the way techno music sucks.

and this couldnt be more true..... right here "I saw a comment last night from a Miami “Fan” who was arguing that the Heat has MILLIONS of fans but she was whining that tickets are too expensive so people don’t show up. That’s right, tickets in L.A., NY, Boston, Chicago or anywhere else are so much cheaper than in Miami. The Miami “Fans” use the news of a $25,000 ticket as an excuse when that only applied on one night and to floor seats. Never mind the thousands of affordable seats that are available for true fans every single night. Even worse, I saw a comment from a Heat fan where he literally bought tickets for last night's game for $20 (Face Value of $60). C'mon now... too expensive?"

Gibby
11-18-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/15275

Wow. I saw the ad today for the first time. Only time I ever remember a full stadium is when they won their championship. I really don't think the Miami Heat fans care about basketball. I'm sure members on this forum who are heat fans are loving Bosh, Wade and LBJ but there are plenty more representing not caring one bit.

If Miami can't sell out home games with Lebron, Wade and Bosh on their team, they should consider a move to Seattle. At least the Sonic's fan base had a little more pride in their team.

I can't believe that with their all-star team, it still isn't enough to put butts in seats!

WOW. This is going to hurt Knicks fans a lot because they have such a deep passion for their team. If the Knicks had even 2 of those 3 playing in NY, they would have fans sleeping in sleeping bags outside MSG.

Its like seeing a pretty girl with an ugly boyfriend. ugh. A team of GREAT players with a horrible fan base.

They are selling out games. People aren't showing up or showing up late. There has been dicussion in this forum about this. some heat fans explained their was a problem with scalpers.

This thread might ugly soon.

beasted86
11-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Baiting, in before the lock.

Also want to point out that yet again it is a Bulls fan creating a Miami heat topic.

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-18-2010, 09:46 PM
How come the Magic fans show up?

Gibby
cleveland leader .... hmmm. But i am suprised the cavs attendence has been good though. like him or not, seems like lebron made a huge impact on the franchise.

ManRam
Who gives a ****?

I'm so sick of this.

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Also want to point out that yet again it is a Bulls fan creating a Miami heat topic.

and yet again miami "fans" love to point out anytime chicago mentions miami

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
How come the Magic fans show up?

cause they are great fans..... I have been to orlando games and its always packed.

beasted86
11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
and yet again miami "fans" love to point out anytime chicago mentions miami

Yes, only because you are the guys who claim that it's the Heat fans always against the Bulls. Just want to point out that it's you guys who are creating the threads, you guys getting the majority of the infractions in the Heat forum, and you guys doing the majority of the baiting.

Maybe it's because the Bulls have more overall fans on this website, or maybe it's because you have proportionately more BAD fans for the total fans you have on this website. I'm not sure which one...

Sly Guy
11-18-2010, 09:52 PM
wow........ lmao "not just have them on the TV in the background while they do blow and listen to techno music." favorite line of the article, by the way techno music sucks.

and this couldnt be more true..... right here "I saw a comment last night from a Miami “Fan” who was arguing that the Heat has MILLIONS of fans but she was whining that tickets are too expensive so people don’t show up. That’s right, tickets in L.A., NY, Boston, Chicago or anywhere else are so much cheaper than in Miami. The Miami “Fans” use the news of a $25,000 ticket as an excuse when that only applied on one night and to floor seats. Never mind the thousands of affordable seats that are available for true fans every single night. Even worse, I saw a comment from a Heat fan where he literally bought tickets for last night's game for $20 (Face Value of $60). C'mon now... too expensive?"

go to europe and tell them it sucks. Besides, 'techno' is a blanket term for the uninitiated, learn the difference between techno, house, drum and bass, trance, dubstep and breaks then I'll take your opinion as something worth listening to.

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 09:52 PM

Really?

This is an NBA forum. Not a Heat forum. There is an article attached so read it before you make any opinions. If you don't like it, dont read it and don't comment.

This is an interesting topic and shouldn't be locked.

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 09:54 PM
go to europe and tell them it sucks. Besides, 'techno' is a blanket term for the uninitiated, learn the difference between techno, house, drum and bass, trance, dubstep and breaks then I'll take your opinion as something worth listening to.

I don't care what Europe thinks. I think techno music sucks and you must of took my opinion as something to listen to since you quoted it and replied to it.

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes, only because you are the guys who claim that it's the Heat fans always against the Bulls. Just want to point out that it's you guys who are creating the threads, you guys getting the majority of the infractions in the Heat forum, and you guys doing the majority of the baiting.

Maybe it's because the Bulls have more overall fans on this website, or maybe it's because you have proportionately more BAD fans for the total fans you have on this website. I'm not sure which one...

LOL. Read the article and you'll understand that its not that the Bulls have more fans. Its that the Miami Heat fans have a weak fanbase. Even the owners are acknowledging it now!

SouthSideRookie
11-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Honestly I've tried watching some Heat games and that place is dead, no energy whatsoever. In contrast to Bulls games or even the Knicks that haven't been too good but their crowd is always into it and the place is lively.

beasted86
11-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Really?

This is an NBA forum. Not a Heat forum. There is an article attached so read it before you make any opinions. If you don't like it, dont read it and don't comment.

This is an interesting topic and shouldn't be locked.

To be honest I could care less whether fans of any team are reporting news or discussing an interesting, relevant topic, but it's something else when you guys choose to spin the news your reporting by changing the title of the article, or mysteriously omitting full on quotes or full paragraphs pivotal to the topic, or not getting the full details on the situation and posting ignorance.

Aside from changing the title, you carelessly claimed the Heat can't sell out games when they are at 100% attendance right now at home: http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

But whatever... I expect this to be locked soon.

jimbobjarree
11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
its cus half their fans's commute is from Ohio, way too long for a mid week game

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
if the bulls had some tickets that had a 60 dollar face value on them for 20 bucks i would of bought them in a heart beat

Sly Guy
I don't care what Europe thinks. I think techno music sucks and you must of took my opinion as something to listen to since you quoted it and replied to it.

and I think it's great, but I don't really care what you think. So just keep quiet about things that are a) irrelevant to the conversation b) an opinion formed with a complete lack of knowledge and c) a blanket statement which was never formed as an opinion in the first place

"techno music sucks" is not "I think techno music sucks".
:eyebrow:

NYtilIdie
Brought it up in the GT last night, but just got hit with the "hater" response. I don't see how im "hating" if I wasn't bashing the team. I just said the arena was crazy empty.

Slimsim
11-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Honestly I've tried watching some Heat games and that place is dead, no energy whatsoever. In contrast to Bulls games or even the Knicks that haven't been too good but their crowd is always into it and the place is lively.

Had to throw a jab at the Knicks ? :facepalm:

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 10:01 PM
I'd like to throw in that I think their production is HORRIBLE, which may contribute to low attendance. NO LIFE at any of the games. I haven't been to much games outside the Bulls but being at the game is awesome. So much crowd interaction and Benny the Bull is by far the best mascot in ALL SPORTS. Maybe the Heat lack that???

I watched the Miami Heat introduce Bosh, Wade and LBJ to the crowd on opening night and it looked like it was put together by a high school teacher.

FakeBlackMamba
11-18-2010, 10:02 PM
other than the Dolphins, Miami is not really a sports town. They will go to the "big" national tv games, but other than that, the stadium and arena is never full. That goes for the Marlins, Heat, and Panthers. Thats just how it is here in Miami. But yea, it is pretty sad that even Lebron and Bosh cant get the arena full every single night.

SouthSideRookie
11-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Dude got off my jock, seriously get a life.

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
and I think it's great, but I don't really care what you think. So just keep quiet about things that are a) irrelevant to the conversation b) an opinion formed with a complete lack of knowledge and c) a blanket statement which was never formed as an opinion in the first place

:facepalm: WTF are you talking about? I don't want to know the history of techno, Hell I even avoid places that play techno music. I DON'T LIKE TECHNO MUSIC and made that clear. if you do not like that statement then don't be a troll and respond. now go turn your flash bulbs on and listen to your techno music. im trying to forget that i even bothered with this conversation.

Slimsim
11-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Dude got off my jock, seriously get a life.

Just Saying we get it you envy the Knicks and their fans for what ever reason I have no idea. But you don't see me Taking shots at Houston all though they aren't looking to good neither

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 10:07 PM
To be honest I could care less whether fans of any team are reporting news or discussing an interesting, relevant topic, but it's something else when you guys choose to spin the news your reporting by changing the title of the article, or mysteriously omitting full on quotes or full paragraphs pivotal to the topic, or not getting the full details on the situation and posting ignorance.

Aside from changing the title, you carelessly claimed the Heat can't sell out games when they are at 100% attendance right now at home: http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

But whatever... I expect this to be locked soon.

Read the article and GTFO if your gonna cry about it. I didn't omit anything.

Low attendance for a crappy team doesn't mean anything when you compare it to low attendance for a bona fide all-star team.

The league even told the Heat to change seat colors so the stadium wouldn't look so empty on TV.

This is a real issue and whether or not you choose to understand that is beyond me.

TO to the CHI
11-18-2010, 10:07 PM

I don't want to wade too deeply into this debate, but allow me to point out that the techno comment appeared in the original article, which was why he referred to it.

And "techno music sucks" and "I think techno music sucks" really are the same thing. His statement could either be a fact or opinion and, since it would be impossible to determine as a matter of fact that a type of music sucks, it was clearly an opinion without him having to type "I think."

TO to the CHI
11-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Just Saying we get it you envy the Knicks and their fans for what ever reason I have no idea. But you don't see me Taking shots at Houston all though they aren't looking to good neither

I think you completely missed the point.

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:10 PM

really wasnt a jab at them

SouthSideRookie
11-18-2010, 10:11 PM

Do it for all I care, I dont care KID. The truth is the truth. Just like this article says, the Heat have a bad fan base, that's no secret. It's like if you say Yao is injury prone and so are the Rockets, im not going to cry about it because it's the truth.

Some of you kids need to stop taking this so personal, fans come here to give an OPINION, its an opinion, grow up.

Im done discussing the matter, lets stay on topic.

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't want to wade too deeply into this debate, but allow me to point out that the techno comment appeared in the original article, which was why he referred to it.

And "techno music sucks" and "I think techno music sucks" really are the same thing. His statement could either be a fact or opinion and, since it would be impossible to determine as a matter of fact that a type of music sucks, it was clearly an opinion without him having to type "I think."

thank you

jkcronyn
11-18-2010, 10:12 PM
i feel like miami as a city isnt a good sports town. the dolphins dont have any real glory in their franchise you know? the bulls still have some shine from the jordan days and the lakers, knicks, and celts will always cell out cause of their legacies and stuff. but miami's too much of an events town. honestly when the boys picked miami they really goofed up. the heat is a horrible franchise. its run well top to bottom, but its top ten in nba franchises i would never wanna play for. miami is too busy and sports just isnt' their deal, which isn't a problem. after seeing beasly in minnesota, it makes me feel like that miami is too busy even for the players to stay focused on sports, i just dont think it's a good place to play.

Slimsim
11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I think you completely missed the point.

Maybe

All though the Knicks suck. MAny Knicks fans still support them and go to the games To boo or cheer. Only thing about the Knicks fans we aren't patient enough to start rebuilding or develop players. That's why Draft picks aren't as valuable to us like some of the smaller market teams.

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
i feel like miami as a city isnt a good sports town. the dolphins dont have any real glory in their franchise you know? the bulls still have some shine from the jordan days and the lakers, knicks, and celts will always cell out cause of their legacies and stuff. but miami's too much of an events town. honestly when the boys picked miami they really goofed up. the heat is a horrible franchise. its run well top to bottom, but its top ten in nba franchises i would never wanna play for. miami is too busy and sports just isnt' their deal, which isn't a problem. after seeing beasly in minnesota, it makes me feel like that miami is too busy even for the players to stay focused on sports, i just dont think it's a good place to play.

well im watching the dolphins- bears game right now and there seems to be more bears fans then dolphins fans. that or the bears fans are just a lot louder. I am from florida and again I know its not a good sports town especially for baseball and some what basketball.

jkcronyn
11-18-2010, 10:16 PM
yeah idk i just feel like with marino they were a great football team at one point and any team who's had a run that makes them into a mini dynasty usually has a little allure or shine so i just feel like since the dolphins now aren't that big of a deal in the nfl and are just kind of viewed as a team that isn't that big of a deal, it helps show miami is kind of a weak city to play in. the heat just won in 06 and if there wasn't a rafter in the cieling and a ring back at wade's house no one would know it by the way the fans, stadium, or orgnization carries itself

jkcronyn
sorry to get off topic with football

avrpatsfan
Like tickets are so cheap in Boston and LA. Heat fans need to step it up.

jkcronyn
11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeBgpQBlP-g

and anytime a franchise has to put out a video this embarrassing... you gotta question the franchise and its fans

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Like tickets are so cheap in Boston and LA. Heat fans need to step it up.

or Chicago and NY.......

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeBgpQBlP-g

and anytime a franchise has to put out a video this embarrassing... you gotta question the franchise and its fans

if i were a heat fan, a true heat fan, i would write the franchise a mean letter cause thats even embarrassing for even the true miami fans

effen5
11-18-2010, 10:20 PM
lmfao @ both pictures

Holy **** that is ****in pathetic....

Valkyrie
11-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Damn it's great being a Heat fan nowadays

rofl at you guys...absolutely and utterly pathetic. im at a loss for words at all this *****...

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I wonder how many people reported this thread?

jkcronyn
11-18-2010, 10:23 PM
i also think there's something to be said for how average they were for the last 4 years. with that i think its hard to suddenly have a decent team and get everyone on the bandwagon that quick. real basketball fans are all over the heat but it seems like miami fans have been out of touch anyone know their attendance during the season they won the championshp? that'd be intresting to see

effen5
11-18-2010, 10:26 PM
i also think there's something to be said for how average they were for the last 4 years. with that i think its hard to suddenly have a decent team and get everyone on the bandwagon that quick. real basketball fans are all over the heat but it seems like miami fans have been out of touch anyone know their attendance during the season they won the championshp? that'd be intresting to see

but Miami has had a top 3 player in Dwade....DWADE...you're telling me you can't sell out when you have a superstar like Dwade?

Valkyrie
11-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I am a real Heat fan.

I do not give a **** who shows up to the games, I don't care how many Bulls/Knicks/Cavs fans are jealous of us landing all 3 guys, I do not care who hates on us, I enjoy watching the team play, and I am grateful for being able to witness what I have and what I am going to witness for years to come.

In summary, all you guys can suck my dick, and all other Heat fans' dicks, because if you ain't a Celtics/Lakers or Heat fan, your team ain't winning squat for a long time.

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I am a real Heat fan.

I do not give a **** who shows up to the games, I don't care how many Bulls/Knicks/Cavs fans are jealous of us landing all 3 guys, I do not care who hates on us, I enjoy watching the team play, and I am grateful for being able to witness what I have and what I am going to witness for years to come.

In summary, all you guys can suck my dick, and all other Heat fans' dicks, because if you ain't a Celtics/Lakers or Heat fan, your team ain't winning squat for a long time.

you don't care, yet you posted twice in this thread ranting and raving..... hmmm..... seems to me like you do a little.

John Walls Era
11-18-2010, 10:27 PM
lol Cleveland loves writing about Heat basketball.

blue bleeder09
11-18-2010, 10:28 PM

would it make a difference if a laker or celtic fan started the thread ?:laugh:

jkcronyn
nah i don't think a superstar does it, i think wins and playoff runs do it. pistons sold out for like 6 years and just had a good cast that could get it done and win games ya know?

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2010

that was super helpful actually haha i just looked it up

effen5
I am a real Heat fan.

Looks like the Miami Heat are the real losers here....they can't sell out with three superstar players? Time to move the Heat to a real city.

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I wonder how many people reported this thread?

probably all 4 heat fans.

Valkyrie
11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
you don't care, yet you posted twice in this thread ranting and raving..... hmmm..... seems to me like you do a little.

How do you figure? Just because I took a few minutes out to express my feelings means I care? And what do you mean by ''care''? You think i'm losing sleep over this? Lmfao

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Looks like the Miami Heat are the real losers here....they can't sell out with three superstar players? Time to move the Heat to a real city.

Seattle Heat!

or

Kansas City Heat!

Valkyrie

Well it's not gonna happen. The Heat are going to stay in Miami for decades to come, sorry man

D Roses Bulls
probably all 4 heat fans.

:laugh:

jkcronyn
11-18-2010, 10:31 PM
i just dont know why every single heat fan takes any opposition as a reason to flip out. you can like your team. people are gonna be jealous or upset at the signing but people did this to boston a few years ago. i just dont think it warrants toddlers like valkyre to FLiP OUT and try to tell us WERE ALL WRONG its people like that that make me root against teams even when i dont want to

sep11ie
Its got a lot to do with miami(and Florida) being a majority college sports fanbase.

D Roses Bulls
How do you figure? Just because I took a few minutes out to express my feelings means I care? And what do you mean by ''care''? You think i'm losing sleep over this? Lmfao

yes, cause if you didnt care you would of just ignored the thread. and losing sleep no, but maybe missing a meal here and there ;)

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I am a real Heat fan.

How many is that?

?

Valkyrie
11-18-2010, 10:33 PM
well whatever, i said how i felt and im done here

now, i will be a gentleman and let you guys hate in peace. deuces

D Roses Bulls
11-18-2010, 10:34 PM

its not hating when your own franchise is calling out the fans as well. if you wanna be mad at anyone, be mad at them

LavelC
11-18-2010, 10:36 PM
From the many times I've been to MIA. I've always got the feeling it is a football city. Even there arena league team is more popuLar than bball in MIA. I would love to hear from ppl who live in MIamai

Badluck33
11-18-2010, 10:36 PM

no one is hating!

there is a problem in the nba and its the lack of attendance to a team with 3 big named marketable players! !

Wilson
11-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this, but just in case:

This thread holds no value relating to basketball discussion that will actually lead us anywhere. This is only going to bait Heat fans, which in turn will lead to flame wars between them and other fan bases. I'm closing this.