11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
:laugh2:

Really!?

Sixerlover
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
:pity:

*Superman*
11-18-2010, 08:34 PM
While they were talking about Grand Theft Auto. Skip @ 5:20.

" I don't know anything about Grand Auto Theft" Lmfao.

Personally I thought it was cool to see Kobe in it. My favorite part was Jimmie Kimmel and his rocket launcher that said "Proud Noob" Lol.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-18-2010, 08:36 PM
here's the ad if anyone hasn't seen it yet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yzeCsv-qrM)

FakeBlackMamba
11-18-2010, 08:37 PM
This is what clowns like Skip Bayless do. They run and run their mouths to get attention. Everyone hates them and i doubt they have any friends. I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up in prison with Mariotti one of these days.

metsfanssince05
11-18-2010, 08:38 PM
OH. MY. GOD.

it

is

a

video

game

ESPN seriously?!?!?

NYtilIdie
11-18-2010, 08:39 PM
I like Kobe's part. Its just a commercial, he's just out of touch with todays youth.

KingOf215
11-18-2010, 08:39 PM
I love Kobe-bashing as much as any other Philadelphian... but this is absurd. I liked seeing Kobe in the commercial, thought it was cool.

MaHaRaJaH
11-18-2010, 08:44 PM
calm down mother ****ers

masalex1205
11-18-2010, 08:44 PM
non-issue

cmellofan15
11-18-2010, 08:48 PM
I liked the ad, it was a lot better than the Lebron questionnaire.

FOBolous
11-18-2010, 08:48 PM
it's not that big of a deal

Rego247
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
i love they used terms like "floored" and "taken at back"

its a ****in game.

no worries, espn is just getting their hate game right.

kswissdaf
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
I thought you could only blow things out of proportion when its about lebron wade or bosh

Slimsim
11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
IDK about anyone else but the ice cream man at the End was Epic

TheHoopsProphet
11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
entirely emblematic of the ESPN thinktank, a bunch of sheeps eatin off the chowda' of their stockholders, echoing these faceless heads' megalomaniac thoughts through the stream of basic cable. These guys know nothing about the outside world, they have linear perspectives only can see point a to point b, attend then graduate from business and communication school, get an internship, try and get facetime, follow, follow, follow, follow. The very fact that this has been brought up for debate is only appropriate in the sense that sensationalism is their bread and butter, their raison d'etre so to speak. Video games are another medium for media outlets to convert autonomic minds into their thinking, but that is a subject beyond this minuscule argument of wheter mr. colby captain crunch time bryant should be in the game. This is classic ad hominum argument, which the giver of this type of argument goes off on a tangent to try and win the said argument by bringing up faults to the other source of argument without actually revealing any relevant points to the argument itself.

EXAMPLE: Chase Billups attended the University of Colorado. Chase Billups is a Finals MVP. All athletes who attend the University of Colorado are Finals MVPs.
As you see here, not all Finals MVPs attend University of Colorado, therefore this is false.

EXAMPLE 2: Today I asked DeShaun why he hates mayonaise in his hamburgers. DeShaun said because white people like mayonaise, and thats why mayonaise is disgusting. As you see here, racial speculation has nothing to do with personal taste preferabilities of our pallates, as racial speculation is a psychological condition meanwhile our tastes is a physical condition entirely devoid of social influence.

EXAMPLE 3: Colby bryant is shooting a gun in a video game. Video games promote violence. Mr. Colby captian crunch time bryant is promoting violence. As you see Colby is not promoting violence, though generally video games are a violent-encouragable activity, but those who create it or advertise it are not violent people.

Skip Bayless is a fool, and should be banned from all further discussions and all access to mocha almond fudge ice cream.

More-Than-Most
11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Though I agree its not a huge deal but with the kind of power he has over young people it might not be the best thing to do and I can understand skips point of view. I know this wont be a popular opinion but crazier things have happened when it comes to children following their role models.

Lol to be fair the video is awesome though.

More-Than-Most
11-18-2010, 08:58 PM

Personally I thought it was cool to see Kobe in it. My favorite part was Jimmie Kimmel and his rocket launcher that said "Proud Noob" Lol.

:laugh:

DoJoTheSlasher
11-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Not that it needs to be a problem.... but weren't there like 20 other people in the video too? Why not bash them?

I swear to God, this is ridiculous. It is an ad for a video game. Why do we need to make it a problem at all? We see these types of commercials ALL THE FREAKIN TIME.

SensandRaps
ill be honest i was wondering when the kobe bashing was going to start up again. as for skip bayless its just a game

effen5
Skip crossed the line...

I mean hes part of a game trailer but this isnt just any game...its one of the best games ever made....Skip your a ******

jetsfan89
11-18-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblj3JHF-Jo

the most ridiculous argument ever.

Bluerapoileagle
11-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I hate Kobe Bryant so much, but not even I can agree with this nuthead. People sometimes take things way too seriously!! It's just a video game for crying out loud!!

braveniler58
11-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I can see the point they're trying to make, but I don't care. It was a great ad, I loved it. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Ripper Gein
11-18-2010, 09:06 PM
I thought you could only blow things out of proportion when its about lebron wade or bosh

jesus bro get over that **** i know i know it pains you to hear negative things bout your heat but this is a story about a player on a GREAT team.............:D

Bruno
11-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Skip Bayless is like the drunk uncle who comes over during the holidays who always needs to be told to STFU at least once per occasion.

Kobe said he did this as his way to thank the troops overseas.

IMO, Americans obsession with war and weapons in general is a huge part of our military industrial complex, which is a bad thing; it was completely within Kobe right to do this commercial, Stern will do nothing and Bayless should do what he should always do, stop talking.

Law25
11-18-2010, 09:17 PM
:laugh2:

Really!?

Agreed completely:D

tredigs
11-18-2010, 09:17 PM
OH. MY. GOD.

it

is

a

video

game

ESPN seriously?!?!?

I'll be the contrarian. Yeah, it is just a video game, but the difference is that THERE IS NO VIDEO GAME IN THIS COMMERCIAL. It's just everyday people + celebrities running around with assault rifles and bazookas like it is a game. It's just kind of weird, and sort of in bad taste, in my opinion.

I'm in my 20's, love shooting guns, like COD, am a complete smartass who doesn't take much too seriously, and beyond that I like war games in general. But looking at the commercial, I can easily see how people (both the "peace" type, and war veterans alike) could be offended at how lightly they're taking actual warfare here.

Sends a stupid ****ing "playful war" message to kids by making the game an actual reality (and not have it be acting soldiers), in my opinion.

Kobe's no stranger to terrible marketing mistakes (white suit, anyone?), so this falls in line as just another dumb decision on his part.

Teeboy1487
11-18-2010, 09:19 PM
That's why I don't watch BSPN. It's a videogame moron :facepalm:.

TheHoopsProphet
11-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Not that it needs to be a problem.... but weren't there like 20 other people in the video too? Why not bash them?

I swear to God, this is ridiculous. It is an ad for a video game. Why do we need to make it a problem at all? We see these types of commercials ALL THE FREAKIN TIME.

though i mostly agree with you, the foundation of your argument is a fundamental fallacy that i must address, as I did in my previous post.

AD HOMINUM ARGUMENTATIVE EXAMPLE 4: Colby captain-crunch-time Bryant was not wrong in doing this and I respectfully disagree with Sir Bayless. Other notable moguls were in this CoD videogame ad, and they have not been blamed. In conclusion, Colby was not wrong in this, because others did it and weren't blamed for it.
The moral aptitude of an individual can not be measured by status quo. Status quo has seldom been correct throughout history. In other words, common sense is not the best sense, in the sense of the word. Just because everyones doing it, doesnt mean you should be too. And though colby doesnt deserve the load of the blame, he cannot be vindicated from his actions simply because people around him were doing the same thing.

GoatMilk
11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Skip Bayless has his list of athletes that he just hates
even if they do well, he'll have an excuse or something

2 on the list are Terrell Owens and LeBron James
he also hates Kobe, but the past few years the NBA has pretty much been Kobe v. LeBron in the media so he has to pick a side, and Kobe is the lesser of 2 evils

but he always says kobe's getting old, kobe cant do this, kobe cant do that, lakers only won because, blah blah blah

any chance he gets to bash, he will

idk why ESPN is just now talking about this. the game has been out a week, and the commercial has been on for pretty much a month

ESPN just loves to start stuff

uptownfan
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
I have never liked Skip Bayless. He's such a know it all. Look at him rolling his eyes towards the end of the vid when the other guy is making a valid point.

Not to mention, Skip = n00b

Bruno
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
I'll be the contrarian. Yeah, it is just a video game, but the difference is that THERE IS NO VIDEO GAME IN THIS COMMERCIAL. It's just everyday people + celebrities running around with assault rifles and bazookas like it is a game. It's just kind of weird, and sort of in bad taste, in my opinion.

I'm in my 20's, love shooting guns, love COD, am a complete smartass who doesn't take much too seriously, and beyond that I like war games in general. But looking at the commercial, I can easily see how people (both the "peace" type, and war veterans alike) could be offended at how lightly they're taking actual warfare here.

Sends a stupid ****ing "playful war" message to kids by making the game an actual reality (and not have it be acting soldiers), in my opinion.

Kobe's no stranger to terrible marketing mistakes (white suit, anyone?), so this falls in line as just another dumb decision on his part.

To criticize the message of "playful war" and to say that you also love COD is a contradiction. Nazi zombie?

Are you saying you dislike how Kobe smiled in the commercial?

tredigs
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
To criticize the message of "playful war" and to say that you also love COD is a contradiction. Nazi zombie?

Are you saying you dislike how Kobe smiled in the commercial?

There's a difference between jokes in an actual video game, and making a video of actual people "playing war" with AK's and anti tank missiles. Is nobody else getting that? Am I alone here?

I really don't give a **** either way, but my point is that I could actually sympathize with people who would be completely offended by the ad. Making war a joke in a video game is one thing, but hitting the realm of some sort of joke-reality (and from Kobe's perspective, as a guy who is generally always saying/doing the right thing in the public eye) is a bit off.

Not a big deal, but an irresponsible ad none the less.

EaglesJackson10
11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
ESPN is ****ing politically correct it's a joke. It's a video game. There have been a ton of studies that show violent video games and violence have no connection at all. This is a joke.

Jenceman
11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
There's a difference between jokes in an actual video game, and making a video of actual people "playing war" with AK's and anti tank missiles. Is nobody else getting that? Am I alone here?

I really don't give a **** either way, but my point is that I could actually sympathize with people who would be completely offended by the ad. Making war a joke in a video game is one thing, but hitting the realm of some sort of joke-reality (and from Kobe's perspective, as a guy who is generally always saying/doing the right thing in the public eye) is a bit off.

Not a big deal, but an irresponsible ad none the less.

Kobe's been on record saying that he did this for soldiers overseas. Kobe has participated in quite a few military type charities. That is about as "responsible" as it gets.

He's also on record talking about how this isn't even in the same realm as real combat.

sep11ie
11-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Skip deserves an infraction and 2 week ban on PSD.

tredigs
11-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Kobe's been on record saying that he did this for soldiers overseas. Kobe has participated in quite a few military type charities. That is about as "responsible" as it gets.

He's also on record talking about how this isn't even in the same realm as real combat.

Whatever. Like I said, I could care less. The point is that I could see a WWII or 'Nam vet seeing this and being offended at how they're almost mocking true warfare with that bull ****, and they'd have a solid point.

I could care less about the Kobe part even more so. Try to remove him from this argument, then see it through clearer glasses (goes to all the Laker fans).

edit: Also, "did it for the soldiers oversees"? Wtf. This does nothing for the soldiers oversees. I don't even get what he'd be alluding to there.

fadedmario
11-18-2010, 10:23 PM
cool commercial

fadedmario
11-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Skip deserves an infraction and 2 week ban on PSD.

:clap::)

hugepatsfan
11-18-2010, 10:28 PM
I can't believe that they're seriously distressed by this. I honestly couldn't believe that they are makiing a big deal over it. What a ****ing joke.

John Walls Era
11-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I usually enjoy listening to Skip (he says stupid stuff to get attention), but the whole conversation deserves a :facepalm:. Its one thing for Skip to point this out (wants to start things out of nothing, hes really good at that), but the other 2 ALSO thought it was a big deal.

One thing these 3 idiots don't understand is how big COD is (thats probably why everyone thought the commercial was cool). Almost everyone who owns a PS3/Xbox has COD. I have no clue what the big deal is... if anyone figures a LEGIT reason, please come forward.

PS: COD doesn't need anymore advertising.

John Walls Era
11-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Didn't finish watching when I posted ^. Woman finally sees that its a video game....

shep33
11-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah, this is stupid... It's a videogame.

John Walls Era
11-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Can the NBA fans who got offended by this commercial (as indicated in the last 5 secs by Skip), please step forward?

Rio40
11-18-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't care about him being in the commercial, however as I am in the military I can see how some soldiers could take offense to the Motto "there's a soldier in all of us"
Didn't bother me but I def no people who would take offense to those words.

SluggeR
11-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Skip is an idiot, he's the reason I don't watch 1st and 10 anymore. The Dan Patrick Show is much better. ESPN has lost a lot of cred for making a "star" out of this in-the-closet hater. He makes up stuff to prove invalid points.

jrm2054
11-18-2010, 10:57 PM
are you fing kidding me this is ********

Byronicle
11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
oh my goodness

its a shooting game...

Crackadalic
11-18-2010, 11:01 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: to ESPN and skip bayless who i actually enjoy listening for his arguments made me lose respect for him its a mother****ing game!!!!!!!!! its called marketing your game to get people to buy it that commercial alone made me want to buy it ESPN really was that even 1st and 10 top 10 topic worthy? really? im flabbergasted i dont use that word at all ESPN has become a joke more and more everyday and i hate myself for watching it at times if people who have a problem about it our either really super sensitive about it and need to get over it or they just overblown it because there retarted watch when they make the next GTA game lebron is going to play 50 cent and start gangbanging in ohio in a heat jersey and ESPN is going to make that a breaking news:facepalm:

John Walls Era
11-18-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't care about him being in the commercial, however as I am in the military I can see how some soldiers could take offense to the Motto "there's a soldier in all of us"
Didn't bother me but I def no people who would take offense to those words.

Really? But isn't that an actual motto? It was used before this commercial came out.

EaglesJackson10
11-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think that soldiers would really take offense to it. I talked to a guy who was stationed in Afghanistan and he said that everyone who is stationed with him plays it. He said that everyone loves it and always plays the game. He said during free time that's all they do and they have tournaments and things like that. Doesn't seem like soldiers really take offense to this game.

Wade>You
11-18-2010, 11:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5817181

Did Kobe cross the line?Absolutely. You know how many kid fans Kobe has? That's most of his fan base.

John Walls Era
11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Absolutely. You know how many kid fans Kobe has? That's most of his fan base.

You know how many kids are on Xbox live....

Cromedome
11-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I liked the ad because it showed everyone of all shapes, sizes and race playing this game. You even had the "noob" who can't shoot but runs around using his noob cannon rocket launcher.

News24/7
11-18-2010, 11:27 PM

i know right!? I mean look at the Heat, All 4 heat Fans also have a lot of kid fans as well! I mean that's like.....ALL OF THEM! I MEAN LIKE, WTF!?

Rio40
11-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Its just people who call themselves soldiers who aren't its just kinda insensitive. I no its not meant to be and thats why it personally doesn't bother me much, but especially for people wth a lot of combat experience who have lost friends or family. The word is just thrown around as if it doesn't mean anything.

SA5195
11-18-2010, 11:29 PM
All this criticism for a 3 second cameo?

News24/7
11-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Actually Skip is right, i would complain about Kobe being in the commercial too.

I mean seriously, Kobe using the Noob Tube? Really? Kobe you ****ing noob. :pity:

shep33
11-18-2010, 11:51 PM

If that was Wade or Lebron... would give a similar answer? Be honest.

tredigs
11-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Its just people who call themselves soldiers who aren't its just kinda insensitive. I no its not meant to be and thats why it personally doesn't bother me much, but especially for people wth a lot of combat experience who have lost friends or family. The word is just thrown around as if it doesn't mean anything.

^That's the bottom line, and my original point. And it's coming from the only guy in here claiming to actually be military.

I win, all you other kids lose. Moving on - -

Raph12
11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Skip is just another idiot who ESPN pays to say controversial things so that people go to their website... It's no big deal.

PurpleJesus28
11-19-2010, 12:00 AM
"the all time what were you thinking"

wow. just wow skip bayless. how do people blow a VIDEO GAME COMMERCIAL so out of proportion?!?!

Geargo Wallace
11-19-2010, 12:08 AM
this is ridiculous haaha

Hunter48MVP
11-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Skip Bayless is a jerk and anyways it is just a game. I bet he has Call of Duty Black Ops and he is playing it right now.

Apophis
11-19-2010, 12:18 AM
.... [/url] )

and goodbye to you...

back on topic.. Its a commercial for a video game.. people are seriously over sensitive nowadays...

tredigs
11-19-2010, 12:32 AM
and goodbye to you...

back on topic.. Its a commercial for a video game.. people are seriously over sensitive nowadays...

Or, they've just become complete ****ing lard ***** who have no idea of the gravity that true warfare is when their only interaction with it has been through video games and 30 second news spots.

Shrug - two ways to look at it I guess.

Edit: I sent the commercial link to one of my ex marine buddies and asked what he thought of it. Just got his text response: "Warrior in all of us? They'd be the corpse of a warrior if they spent ten minutes in the field. This **** is ridiculous".

^This kind of response, again, is what I'm talking about. Didn't surprise me at all. Gotta expect that type of reaction from a lot of actual military/ex-military personnel to it. If Kobe actually thinks he's paying hommage to the troops with this commercial, he probably missed his mark.

It's one thing to advertise for a game with ACTUAL GAMEPLAY - or hell, use fake warriors. But to make it a joke? Eh, dumb. And with that, I've said enough.

lakers4sho
11-19-2010, 12:32 AM
entirely emblematic of the ESPN thinktank, a bunch of sheeps eatin off the chowda' of their stockholders, echoing these faceless heads' megalomaniac thoughts through the stream of basic cable. These guys know nothing about the outside world, they have linear perspectives only can see point a to point b, attend then graduate from business and communication school, get an internship, try and get facetime, follow, follow, follow, follow. The very fact that this has been brought up for debate is only appropriate in the sense that sensationalism is their bread and butter, their raison d'etre so to speak. Video games are another medium for media outlets to convert autonomic minds into their thinking, but that is a subject beyond this minuscule argument of wheter mr. colby captain crunch time bryant should be in the game. This is classic ad hominum argument, which the giver of this type of argument goes off on a tangent to try and win the said argument by bringing up faults to the other source of argument without actually revealing any relevant points to the argument itself.

EXAMPLE: Chase Billups attended the University of Colorado. Chase Billups is a Finals MVP. All athletes who attend the University of Colorado are Finals MVPs.
As you see here, not all Finals MVPs attend University of Colorado, therefore this is false.

EXAMPLE 2: Today I asked DeShaun why he hates mayonaise in his hamburgers. DeShaun said because white people like mayonaise, and thats why mayonaise is disgusting. As you see here, racial speculation has nothing to do with personal taste preferabilities of our pallates, as racial speculation is a psychological condition meanwhile our tastes is a physical condition entirely devoid of social influence.

EXAMPLE 3: Colby bryant is shooting a gun in a video game. Video games promote violence. Mr. Colby captian crunch time bryant is promoting violence. As you see Colby is not promoting violence, though generally video games are a violent-encouragable activity, but those who create it or advertise it are not violent people.

Skip Bayless is a fool, and should be banned from all further discussions and all access to mocha almond fudge ice cream.

1 and 3 are actually examples of non-sequitur fallacies, not ad hominem attacks :cool:

LeonFSU
11-19-2010, 12:33 AM

I'm in my 20's, love shooting guns, like COD, am a complete smartass who doesn't take much too seriously, and beyond that I like war games in general. But looking at the commercial, I can easily see how people (both the "peace" type, and war veterans alike) could be offended at how lightly they're taking actual warfare here.

Ah yes. But isn't that the point? Fun game. Looks like it'd be fun in real life. Join the military. Should have been a joint COD/Army commercial.

Geargo Wallace
11-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Actually Skip is right, i would complain about Kobe being in the commercial too.

I mean seriously, Kobe using the Noob Tube? Really? Kobe you ****ing noob. :pity:

this. hahahhaha. c'mon Kobes you're supposed to have a better shot than that

COBY KARL
11-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Or, they've just become complete ****ing lard ***** who have no idea of the gravity that true warfare is when their only interaction with it has been through video games and 30 second news spots.

Edit: I sent the commercial link to one of my ex marine buddies and asked what he thought of it. Just got his text response: "Warrior in all of us? They'd be the corpse of a warrior if they spent ten minutes in the field. This **** is ridiculous".

^This kind of response, again, is what I'm talking about. Didn't surprise me at all. Gotta expect that type of reaction from a lot of actual military/ex-military personnel to it. If Kobe actually thinks he's paying hommage to the troops with this commercial, he probably missed his mark.

It's one thing to advertise for a game with ACTUAL GAMEPLAY - or hell, use fake warriors. But to make it a joke? Eh, dumb. And with that, I've said enough.

Tredigs everyone! The Skip Bayless of PSD :clap:

tredigs
11-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Tredigs everyone! The Skip Bayless of PSD :clap:

I hate Skip Bayless.

Geargo Wallace
11-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Canadian soldiers are 10x more gangster than American soldiers. This is proven fact.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Skip is booty, he is jelous that kobe is getting more hype then him

Bullsfan22
11-19-2010, 01:11 AM
im far from a kobe fan and even to me it's not even close to an issue. skip is annoying and out of touch. call of duty is one of the most popular gaming series EVER. chances are every NBA fan has a family member that plays the game! get real MEDIA and stop being over sensitive smh...i thought kobe was hip thrusting in a commercial or something..

deftonesrule
11-19-2010, 01:13 AM
The reason people dont like it is because of the same reason they get mad when they see nba players or rappers in alcohol ads. because it only glorifies those kinds of things to kids who see these people as role models and enforces the idea that shooting guns at people is cool and getting drunk is okay because our sports heros say it is.

I am not personally weak minded enough to be mad at the video itself, but there are people who see it as reinforcing these elements in urban and inner city life. Then lets not even get into perpetuating stereotypes that guns/alcohol in ads have on people nationality wise.

Thats pretty much the reason people are mad in case you are in the "its just a game" mindset. It is just a game but the ad is public media viewable to kids and the otherwise impressionable at all ages.

Korman12
11-19-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm old, I hate things!

Da Knicks
11-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Is this a way to get kids to start inlisting in the army? I was kind of confused by it kind of weird and thought most of this actors belong in the army. I can kind of see both points to this though, but is there something subliminal to this?

John Walls Era
11-19-2010, 01:48 AM
The reason people dont like it is because of the same reason they get mad when they see nba players or rappers in alcohol ads. because it only glorifies those kinds of things to kids who see these people as role models and enforces the idea that shooting guns at people is cool and getting drunk is okay because our sports heros say it is.

I am not personally weak minded enough to be mad at the video itself, but there are people who see it as reinforcing these elements in urban and inner city life. Then lets not even get into perpetuating stereotypes that guns/alcohol in ads have on people nationality wise.

Thats pretty much the reason people are mad in case you are in the "its just a game" mindset. It is just a game but the ad is public media viewable to kids and the otherwise impressionable at all ages.

Good analysis, but the thing is that a lot of kids probably would've gotten the game even if Kobe wasn't in the video. IMO having Kobe in the video was cool and all, but imo it didn't increase the sales.

D1JM
11-19-2010, 01:49 AM
I don't see nothing bad with it.

John Walls Era
11-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Quote of the day:

This qualifies as the all-time what were you thinking?, Does Kobe Bryant really need this money, this badly? Doesn't he have a couple of daughters, last time I checked?

nickdymez
11-19-2010, 01:52 AM
This is the dumbest thing ive ever seen. I can see if Kobe made a youtube video with him holding an assult riffle talking about "im bout to play cod". Its acting.

cambovenzi
11-19-2010, 01:54 AM
:facepalm:
terrorists

John Walls Era
11-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Its not like the commercial even had anyone getting hurt...

tmacsc2
11-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Its a video game that he likes to play....with little time he has! I love the commercial and seeing a superstar athlete in it.....these old guys are whack!

PLAYERS FAN
11-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Skip is trying too hard:facepalm:

Kobes a Killer
11-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Man I was pumped to see Kobe in a commercial for my fav game, cherry on top was how it said mamba on his noob tube. That commercial was nothing short of awesome.

heathonater
11-19-2010, 04:44 AM
i find nothing wrong with the commercial or kobe's role in it. half the time i think bayless throws out absurd opinions just to drive the ratings for espn up.

USMCLaker
11-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Ok, I read this entire thread before posting and I don't think that I have ever seen a more one sided thread. Also, nothing makes me happier than to see everyone calling sense-skipped bayless being bashed.

To tredigs: First off, are there Marines that were offended by this ad? I'm sure that you can find some just like you can find two sides to any argument.

Second, imo someone who has lived through the serious horrors of war can hardly be concerned with some 30 second tv spot.

Anyone who chooses to be mad at Kobe or any of the other actors for this ad should redirect their angst towards the COD marketing team.

Finally, the earlier poster (Sorry I don't recall your username) that mentioned that this seemed more like an army ad. The US military thrives off of this kind of marketing especially since they don't have to pick up the tab. For years the US military has put forth ads like "Be the best that you can be" redirecting the attention of what the core military is about. War. Crippling. Killing. Or instilling a sense of false pride when many times warriors are left with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Can you feel that in this video? IDK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF3B6vR9y1o

Personally, I found skip bayless to be more offensive trying to represent the voice of the military when he has never served. Whereas the actors where just doing that acting.

Shut up Skip Bayless. Just Shut Up.

Sactown
11-19-2010, 04:54 AM
IMO Kobe should of been shot in the head by Lebron, and then Dwade should of came up and T-bagged him..

abe_froman
11-19-2010, 04:54 AM
i liked the ad alot,probably my fav in a long time

Evolution23
11-19-2010, 05:44 AM
ITs a videogame! People need to chill out and have some fun!

IBleedPurple
11-19-2010, 06:43 AM

This. I actually lol'ed when I seen that.

ESPN is owned by Disney. They are trying to make this world made entirely for kids, while still promoting promiscuous teenagers and having kids watch soap operas on channels like Teen Nick.

(think of the Disney episode on South Park, has a lot of truth to it)

Jenceman
11-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Whatever. Like I said, I could care less. The point is that I could see a WWII or 'Nam vet seeing this and being offended at how they're almost mocking true warfare with that bull ****, and they'd have a solid point.

I could care less about the Kobe part even more so. Try to remove him from this argument, then see it through clearer glasses (goes to all the Laker fans).

edit: Also, "did it for the soldiers oversees"? Wtf. This does nothing for the soldiers oversees. I don't even get what he'd be alluding to there.

I obviously paraphrased, because I was too lazy to find the article, but here it is:

It's well known that Bryant is involved in military charities and feels a kinship with American soldiers. He reportedly trained with actual black ops soldiers to prepare for the commercial. At the game's launch, Bryant helped present a check for $1 million to the Call of Duty Endowment for returning soldiers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=keown/101116

No," Bryant answered. Adding that the game was "nothing like" what real soldiers have to endure daily, "by any stretch of the imagination." Kobe hasn't offered anything since then by way of on-record comment, and a Lakers rep declined comment because it is "not a Laker issue."

And this isn't even an issue of bias. Maybe the bias in here comes from me being a video game player, but any sad sap that argues video games lead to violence have zero credibility in my book. It's an idiotic statement.

Jenceman
11-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Yeah ya'll lemme just fabricate a message to prove my point.

IBleedPurple
11-19-2010, 07:54 AM
This would be a non issue in most countries. Shows how sensitive Americans are, and how we get on our high horse about anything. (for instance, military personnel thinking they're better than civilians, thinking that this commercial is any different from hundreds or thousands of movies involving bloody violence with famous actors, and the fact that not many people consider that maybe Kobe just wanted to do the commercial-which he has every right to do. He's not going Pacman Jones or Michael Vick on us, leave the guy alone)

The Mecca
11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Lol @ Kobe's gun with "Black Mamba" written on the side of it.

sedwq4drewtf
11-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Welcome to our website : ( http://www.b2cjersey.us )

Exactly Price depend on the amount you order , more order more discount !

NFL($16), NBA($15.00), NHL($28.00), MLB($17.00)

1)Payment :Paypal, T/T , western union, moneygram

2)Express shipment : DHL, UPS, EMS, TNT

3)Delivery time:3-6days to received your order in hand

4)Customs : Promise the duty if detained we resend or refund

5)Policy: Anything has quality problem , we refund
All Jersey's Names, Numbers, Patches, & Logos 100% Sewn.
NOTHING SILKSCREENED!

( http://www.b2cjersey.us )

Trouble87
11-19-2010, 08:39 AM
it was a great commercial and I'm not even a Kobe fan but seeing him in there was pretty f'n cool

Melo15
11-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Pretty cool commercial if you ask me

jeter4president
11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
the real question is...does anyone under the age of 45 like skip?

thedfactor
11-19-2010, 10:51 AM
It's Skip Bayless, this guy is the ultimate douche. I don't think he ever has good points

Heater4life
11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
The game ad was great, just another news outlet trying to make a sparkler a fire hazard. Great commercial.

ShakeN'Bake
11-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I thought the commercial was pretty good.

Iceman_9
11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
skip who?!!

jackdawson
11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Even though I personally thought it was cool, Kobe is such an influential figure for young generation that I don't think he made a good choice to be in it. It certainly has it's validity to argue about his presence on this video.

What more ironic here is, if it was LeBron's ad, the same people who are saying it's a non-issue would have ripped him apart. Oh my PSD...

DaBUU
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Skip Bayless was ****** when he was in Chicago and he hasn't changed.

dodie53
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
it's just a commercial for a game.
shheesshh

Mr.Chi-Town
11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
I obviously paraphrased, because I was too lazy to find the article, but here it is:

Quote:
It's well known that Bryant is involved in military charities and feels a kinship with American soldiers. He reportedly trained with actual black ops soldiers to prepare for the commercial. At the game's launch, Bryant helped present a check for $1 million to the Call of Duty Endowment for returning soldiers.

Quote:
No," Bryant answered. Adding that the game was "nothing like" what real soldiers have to endure daily, "by any stretch of the imagination." Kobe hasn't offered anything since then by way of on-record comment, and a Lakers rep declined comment because it is "not a Laker issue."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=keown/101116

And this isn't even an issue of bias. Maybe the bias in here comes from me being a video game player, but any sad sap that argues video games lead to violence have zero credibility in my book. It's an idiotic statement.

:clap:

News24/7
11-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Even though I personally thought it was cool, Kobe is such an influential figure for young generation that I don't think he made a good choice to be in it. It certainly has it's validity to argue about his presence on this video.

What more ironic here is, if it was LeBron's ad, the same people who are saying it's a non-issue would have ripped him apart. Oh my PSD...

and if lebron was in the ad instead, you would not be saying this and be cheering him for joy. Don't be a hypocrite now.

jackdawson
11-19-2010, 12:17 PM
and if lebron was in the ad instead, you would not be saying this and be cheering him for joy. Don't be a hypocrite now.

Please show me where I cheered for any of LeBron's ad. Don't comment on anyone without knowing about the poster's history. Rational fans know LeBron's fart also gets ripped here on PSD. I am stating the fact. And where did I say I didn't like this ad? I said it might have negative effect on young Kids who follow him as an idol. No rational person could deny that. You are probably one of those too bitter people that LeBron is a Heat. Plain and simple.

TheGiantYankee
11-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Kobe does some strange **** with his jaw/smile in the commercial..that is what I would be complaining about

Honestly I don't think people connect Kobe + Gun = ZOMG.

There are other celebrities in the commercial, it isn't just Kobe. ESPN would air a segment on this, I bet Call of duty paid them to talk about this so everyone runs and watches the commercial. "So I saw this commercial for CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS" is how she started the segment :eyebrow:

s2kobe
11-19-2010, 12:41 PM
i just got a headache

notoriouzzzz
11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
1 and 3 are actually examples of non-sequitur fallacies, not ad hominem attacks :cool:
I usually just skip anything thehoopsprophet has to say. He lacks intelligence in all he says.

Meaze_Gibson
11-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Them making it a big issue about Kobe, guns, and violence is more influential than Kobe being in the commercial. Skip just going for the reaction. I honestly think if it was Brett Favre, Brady, or somebody it wouldn't have got this big a reaction. Whatever though..

Also, I know COD stakeholders are happy. Free Marketing ftw

Piercefan34
11-19-2010, 01:09 PM
yeah i honestly hate kobe he's a tool and a huge punk in the NBA but this is stupid. a good percentage of the NBA plays video games anyway you saw Nate Robinson saluting his XBOX live buddies during a game, if Stern did nothing there he wont do anything here. Skip Bayless is ********, same guy who said nobody is afraid of Kevin Garnett.

MustWinGame7
11-19-2010, 01:33 PM
^quit your spammin'. yeah this is pretty much a non issue. I liked the fact that he was in it. Thought it was one of the better video game ad's I've seen recently.

tonyd3b54
11-19-2010, 01:46 PM
haha i think im more offended about how ******** skip bayless is.... it really makes us as a species look bad...

rjvacad
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
It just shows how all types of people play video games, stupid skip.

Geargo Wallace
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Skip sounds like a 50 year old white CNN or FOX reporter

rjvacad
11-19-2010, 02:15 PM
^ someone played the race card. :facepalm:

Geargo Wallace
11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
^ someone played the race card. :facepalm:

if it helps I`m white

Jack_Meoff
11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
This is stupid, violent games dont need to lead to violence.... look at the Japanese, they play more violent games then us, and they arent inspired to kill people....

I'm not a huge Kobe fan but I thought it was cool to see him in a video game commercial, I would be upset by this commercial only if he didnt actually play the game, if he does, cool, more power to him.

I doubt all of Kobe's fans are impressionable little kids, i think most of Kobe's fans are old enough to own the game.

godolphins
11-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Who care's!!!!!!! It's a commercial

Super.
11-19-2010, 04:24 PM
There are studies PROVING that violent video games don't lead to violence. The fact that there are people flipping out over this is insanity. IT'S A ****ING VIDEO GAME, GROW THE **** UP

Ripper Gein
11-19-2010, 04:33 PM
yeah i honestly hate kobe he's a tool and a huge punk in the NBA but this is stupid. a good percentage of the NBA plays video games anyway you saw Nate Robinson saluting his XBOX live buddies during a game, if Stern did nothing there he wont do anything here. Skip Bayless is ********, same guy who said nobody is afraid of Kevin Garnett.

How can you say that when your a Paul Pierce fan, Ironyyy.....

Sasuke11
11-19-2010, 04:36 PM
"He is smiling wielding an assault rifle"

LOL GTFO Skip jesus christ.

I thought the commercial was awesome, made me give Kobe some props lol

Geargo Wallace
11-19-2010, 04:38 PM
"He is smiling wielding an assault rifle"

LOL GTFO Skip jesus christ.

I thought the commercial was awesome, made me give Kobe some props lol

I`m not a Kobe fan at all and seeing him in that commercial made me smile. Daps!

USMCLaker
11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Again, like I said earlier this has to be the most one sided thread I've ever seen.

devv83
11-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree that skip is wrong, but what's the difference between this and Allen Iverson talking about violence in his rap album that he wanted to put out that stern put a stop too. Its all entertainment right????

DCB/LAL
11-19-2010, 07:10 PM
At the end of the day their is no bigger role model than a parent....if the parent chooses to buy the kid this game(which is all it is) then who we to blame Kobe or any celeb for being in an ad?

Kobe being in this ad is no different than actors being in a war movie etc... and their role models as well dont see anyone firing up a storm about that. Plus anyone who doesn't know that this ad is for a game and not reality is fu**in* ********.

Bishnoff
11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Good game; clever ad. Kobe's facial expressions are hilarious.

Atownballa5
11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
how are they gonna say he crossed the line? whatd he even do wrong?

tredigs
11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah ya'll lemme just fabricate a message to prove my point.

That would assume I give a flying **** what you think. I can assure you that isn't the case. Whatever lets you rest easy though bud.

smith&wesson
11-19-2010, 09:22 PM
kobe can do no wrong by me.

bal_ravens
11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Unless the game has him like...assaulting a woman or something, then who cares? He has never had troubles with guns.

Like everyone else said, it's a game!

Rafer17
11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
skip bayless is a jerkoff

OREcoast49er
11-19-2010, 10:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5817181

Did Kobe cross the line?

I absolutely hate Kobe Bryant, and this ad made me hate him less. I thought it was cool as hell he was in it. Iwas like, "Damn, that dude really looked liked Kobe.....**** that is Kobe." Very cool commercial IMO.

KingsAndNiners
11-19-2010, 11:38 PM
They should of had Gilbert Arenas in the commercial. :p

drew_ellis_23
11-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Kobe didnt do anything, all this attention is stupid. It is a solid video game and I am sure has no effect on youth violence. This is stupid. Not like he is gambling and banging mass chicks and having babies like all the other NBA players. He did rape a chick but that is the past LOL. he is getting more press for this. What a joke.

drew_ellis_23
11-19-2010, 11:51 PM
They should of had Gilbert Arenas in the commercial. :p

:rolleyes:

Jaji
11-20-2010, 12:20 AM
It's a video game. Shouldn't he be criticizing the developers?

DodgerBulls
11-20-2010, 12:28 AM
It's ridiculous that you guys actually take this personal. Skip's job is exactly that. His segments are all about arguments, whether you like the topic or not. At the end of the day, he did his job.. people will like or hate him no matter what. ITS A JOB!

Jenceman
11-20-2010, 12:30 AM
That would assume I give a flying **** what you think. I can assure you that isn't the case. Whatever lets you rest easy though bud.

Meh, I made my argument, it was better than yours, case closed.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Anyone know Kobe's GamerTag/PSN?

John Walls Era
11-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Anyone know Kobe's GamerTag/PSN?

Kobe plays XBOX :cool:

blastmasta26
11-20-2010, 07:22 PM
All Skip Bayless does is make idiotic statements like this. It's a videogame, hell the ad doesn't even show actual violence.

GIANTKNICK
11-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Just something to get everyone upset. he says the most ASSinine things to get a rise out of people

JDizzle
11-20-2010, 07:55 PM
so so so dumb

Wrench
11-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow really? I love this ad, always watch it when it comes on and I hate ads.

I agree with Skip on some of the stuff he says, but this.. Its a Video game. Key word "video" meaning fake. Video games do not promote valiance, people who say that are idiots. You have 6 Million of the games sold already and I have yet to hear about anyone going out and shooting someone because that saw it in Black Ops. Yes you might get a few people that have had Mental problems in the past to do something stupid, but the fact is those are the people that should not be playing games like this. Sorry guess this was a rant haha...

sventhedog
11-21-2010, 10:23 AM
lol. you gotta love what a man would do to get attention.

magichatnumber9
11-21-2010, 10:35 AM
It wouldn't be a big deal if everybody in this world wasn't impressionable. But we don't live in that world. There are many young people in this world that can't distinguish reality from fiction. Don't get upset with Skip, the people at ESPN pick the topics they discuss on the show.

Kobe4Life
11-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I love Kobe-bashing as much as any other Philadelphian... but this is absurd. I liked seeing Kobe in the commercial, thought it was cool.

You like bashing one of the best players to play the game because he was from your home state? You Philadelphians are so cool! I mean wow cause sixers didn't draft him WOW!

DieHardCubFan
11-21-2010, 11:11 AM
:bla::bs:

ball4reel
11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Anyone who thinks this was a marketing mistake On Kobe's part is just an idiot...Its a video game nothing more nothing less.

Oldmantrash
11-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Skip Bayless is completely out of touch.
I'm an older guy,but love COD,and think the commercial is great.

He doesn't realize that kids are smart enough to know the difference between videogames,and reality.

Sixerlover
11-21-2010, 12:04 PM
You like bashing one of the best players to play the game because he was from your home state? You Philadelphians are so cool! I mean wow cause sixers didn't draft him WOW!

No it's because Kobe always said stupid **** about Philadelphia and never appreciated where he was from (Like LeBron and Akron, or Durant and Maryland). Instead he says **** like "I'll rip the heart out of that city". Like wtf?

People like Wilt, Earl the Pearl Monroe, Aaron Mckie, and Rasheed Wallace are true icons from Philadelphia in the city just to name a few. Even Allen Iverson totally embraced the city and it showed when he came back his first game in a Denver uniform (AND us being the last team to give him a chance). Kobe is from Italy as far as I'm concerned.

netsgiantsyanks
11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
skip life-less. this is sad. its a god damn commercial

el_primo_nano
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
wow! Skip Bayless needs some *****. Get a life!!! Its a game, what a fool!!!!!!!!

tangent12
11-21-2010, 01:25 PM
LOL you gotta love Skip. Even if this is one of the most annoying and ridiculous things he's ever done, it's still funny. :laugh2:

millerandco
11-21-2010, 01:55 PM
its one of the best tv ads i've seen in ages

kobebabe
11-21-2010, 02:25 PM
that just goes to show just how idle this guy is. It is just a commercial for christ's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:facepalm:

BIGBREED
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Skip Bayless aka "Fake azz Howard Cosell" {trying to get famous off of bashing LBJ and other Top Black Athletes}

-Truth be told...Howard Cosell really cared/loved Muhammad Ali as a person/man and they communicated off the air regularly. Skip Bayless doesn't talk to these athletes personally and he does not know these athletes. He's just trying to enhance his career by bashing Highly Succesful/Top Grossing Black athletes!

*** I wonder if Vandy alum QB- Jay Cutler would've been chosen for the role instead of Kobe Bryant. Would Skip Bayless support it? {We all no that that answer would be, YES!}

-per skip bayless-
Jay Cutler- the greatest QB ever w/o a supporting cast

[IT'S A VIDEO GAME.....PERIOD] Being a father myself, I raise my own kids. Not XBOX nor the TV{I interact w/ my kids}

ko8e24
11-21-2010, 04:58 PM
No it's because Kobe always said stupid **** about Philadelphia and never appreciated where he was from (Like LeBron and Akron, or Durant and Maryland). Instead he says **** like "I'll rip the heart out of that city". Like wtf?

People like Wilt, Earl the Pearl Monroe, Aaron Mckie, and Rasheed Wallace are true icons from Philadelphia in the city just to name a few. Even Allen Iverson totally embraced the city and it showed when he came back his first game in a Denver uniform (AND us being the last team to give him a chance). Kobe is from Italy as far as I'm concerned.

UUhh, didnt he say he'll rip the heart out of city during the 2001 NBA Finals, and wasn't Kobe 'NOT' draft by the Sixers in the summer of 1996 ???

You Philadelphians should get over yourselves, and definitely change that whole "Brotherly Love" moniker that you guys got going over there, because as far as I'm concerned, all you guys do is hate. I don't see any LOVE from that city. It's so frustrating to see how yall treat the great Kobe Bryant.

ShadyTip
11-21-2010, 05:10 PM
I dont like Kobe, but this is crazy. He did nothing wrong. Just more people trying to find something to whine and complain about.

Sixerlover
11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
UUhh, didnt he say he'll rip the heart out of city during the 2001 NBA Finals, and wasn't Kobe 'NOT' draft by the Sixers in the summer of 1996 ???

You Philadelphians should get over yourselves, and definitely change that whole "Brotherly Love" moniker that you guys got going over there, because as far as I'm concerned, all you guys do is hate. I don't see any LOVE from that city. It's so frustrating to see how yall treat the great Kobe Bryant.

#1. I hate the fact that people even say he's from Philly. He spent his middle school years in Italy, and went to H.S in Lower Merion.

#2. He *****ed and moaned about playing in LA so bad that 12 teams skipped him not just us. He threatened going to Italy unless Charlotte traded him. Don't make him seem innocent.

#3. It's irrelevant when he said it, just the fact that he said it. Unless your from Philly your opinion will already be biased because of some belief of us being bad fans (ESPECIALLY if your a Lakers fan). The guy goes to Phillies - Dodgers playoff games in Dodgers jerseys, says he grew up a Mets fan, never liked the Eagles. Kobe isn't from Philadelphia.

And FWIW, we actually love homegrown players here, so get that bad fan BS out of your head asap. Like I said people like McKie, Wallace, Malik Rose, Rasual Butler, Jameer Nelson, Raheem Brock (NFL), Marvin Harrison etc are beloved at home because of their passion for Philadelphia and their community work here. Kobe's hollywood. Going "hollywood" on where you are from is a HUGE no-no here.

Hell of a player, but no. He isn't from here.

faze38
11-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Skip is old man that's why he has a problem with it I mean i'm a war vet with kids and I have no problem with the ad.

magic0320
11-22-2010, 02:36 AM
same here and i am Iraq vet

i thought it was cool to see all these people wanting to be like us, and it made me feel kinda cool that people are looking up to us (even Kobe Bryant who i really look up to :D)

people need to relex and enjoy their lifes man, and one thing i learned from being in war was just don't WORRY so much and have fun with what you got.

The Jokemaker
11-22-2010, 03:25 AM
I can't believe this is a big deal. It's for an extremely popular video game...

Skip Bayless is looking more and more like the ESPN version of Glenn Beck. Someone who will say whatever to get ratings and attention.