PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To the Big Man In The NBA

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2010, 04:39 PM
In decades past the league has been filled with amazing centers. Kareem. Moses. Hakeem. Robinson. Chamberlain. Russell. Ewing. Mourning. Shaq. Mutumbo. And the league was rounded out with other solid centers like Smits, Daughtery, Laimbeer, Cartright, Sikely, Duckworth, Sampson. But today the only real center that would have been able to bang with the boys back in the late 80s and early-mid 90s would be Howard. Noah is good, and Love is solid, and both offer some promising young talent to the pool of NBA big men, but Noah is pretty lean compared to some, and Love isnt as athletic as others. And who else is filling out the league? The oft injured Yao Ming? The oft injured Oden, who sadly is going to miss another season. And even Howard lacks the offensive variety of guys like Hakeem, Robinson and Kareem.

I was excited when Oden came into the league because I wanted to see a young version of Mutumbo or Mourning. I wanted to see Howard bang with a guy that was as big as him.

Why has the league seen such a drop in the talent level in the middle? and why are so many of the guys plugging the lanes in the NBA today so one dimensional?

I'm at a loss here, and I really miss watching masters of the post battling each other. Shaq and Howard just doesnt cut it for me. Thoughts?

JermanJaysFan
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Hand-check rule.

Madness23
11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
nowitzki, bargnani, gasol, bosh ..... versatility is the word

Sly Guy
11-18-2010, 05:03 PM
the above two poster are both correct, but it's the hand check rule that really nerfed the power game, and I for one think they've gone too far in favor of the little guy

IAmKira
11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
love isnt a center. Did u forget Brook lopez? marc gasol? bogut?

da wood
11-18-2010, 05:15 PM
It's easy my friend you have to look at all the great power forwards we have today. Well if those same guys played back then they would have been centers. Hum guys like kg(they would have put weight on him) Dirk, TD, Pau, aldridge, so with 7 footers being able to step out and basically be a 7 foot shooting gaurd for some, you wouldn't want to limit that. with just playing them in the post. thats why. So to answer your question we do have great 7 footers in the league we just dont call them centers anymore.

numba1CHANGsta
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Players now a days aren't eating enough vegetables and drinking milk :)

gerber
11-18-2010, 05:34 PM
bargnani happened.

HakeemTheDream
11-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Dwight, Noah, Bogut, Pau, Boozer, Duncan, Horford, Al Jeff, Millsap, Scola, Love, Bosh, Blake, Taj Gibson, Zach Randolph, Amare, Blatche, Camby.... there are still plenty of good bigs, not to mention the unlucky ones who need to stay healthy like Bynum and Oden.

And if David Stern didn't turn the league into a soft league where refs have more control over the game than players, guys like Jason Thompson, Favors, and Cousins would already be forces in the league.

da wood
11-18-2010, 05:47 PM
its not that they are not eating and drinking. because size wise the guys bak then were no bigger than the guys of today what happened was shaq he was so big if you noticed the guys that were already established as centers couldn't just move to power forward. but best believe the guys that came after him werent gonna play against shaq if they didnt have to. with that being said they play the 4 wallace kg td to name a few. shaq really changed the game. I remember kg refused to be listed at 7 feet because he thought that would make people think he was a center when he was really 7'1 lmao. thats why TD is put on the allstar ballots as a power forward we dont lack centers they are there thay have just been run to the power forward position because of shaq

Geargo Wallace
11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
David Stern's Iron Fist is what happened

Raph12
11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
The league is too soft, Dwight gets called for 4.2 fouls per game in only 32mpg, if every big banged the way he does, they'd have to change the rules... With that being said, there are a few up-and-comers that are bringing back that traditional center qualities: Bogut, Marc Gasol, Lopez, Hibbert, Love, Oden (healthy), Bynum (healthy), Cousins, etc...

DerekRE_3
11-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Don't you worry, the man in my sig is a very big man.

Corey
11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
It's a guard's league right now.

Just the way it is.

SteveNash
11-18-2010, 07:01 PM
They all moved to power forward.

finalverse
11-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Today's centers don't even come close to those you mentioned earlier but the game has changed. We've also never seen a group of point guards with such speed and power before either. Best crop of poing guards in a long time.

Joshtd1
11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
The game has pretty much turned into a perimeter player's league, specially with the handcheck rule. If ask for someone's top 10 list Im pretty sure atleast 7/8 outta 10 will be guards/wings.

Slimsim
11-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Game is to fast

PurpleJesus
11-18-2010, 09:41 PM
"what happened to the big man in the league"

he's injured and sitting on Portlands bench

KnicksorBust
11-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Obviously you haven't seen Timofey Mozgov yet.

Supreme LA
11-18-2010, 11:24 PM
its not that they are not eating and drinking. because size wise the guys bak then were no bigger than the guys of today what happened was shaq he was so big if you noticed the guys that were already established as centers couldn't just move to power forward. but best believe the guys that came after him werent gonna play against shaq if they didnt have to. with that being said they play the 4 wallace kg td to name a few. shaq really changed the game. I remember kg refused to be listed at 7 feet because he thought that would make people think he was a center when he was really 7'1 lmao. thats why TD is put on the allstar ballots as a power forward we dont lack centers they are there thay have just been run to the power forward position because of shaq

This.

pd1dish
11-18-2010, 11:45 PM

love isnt a center. Did u forget Brook lopez? marc gasol? bogut?

all of the above would get man handled by the players listed by the OP.

Crackadalic
11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
hand checking and its a era where wing players and guard play has taking over we cant really say its a bad thing though i do miss the the 90's early 2000's tough defensive bigs

alexander_37
11-19-2010, 02:27 PM
I wanted to see Howard bang with a guy that was as big as him.

lol

haggis
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I wanted to see Howard bang with a guy that was as big as him.

no homo??

:laugh:

JayW_1023
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
I would've love to see how Howard would do against the likes of Zo.

mikantsass
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Vagina is the word