PDA

View Full Version : How important is a teams medical staff?

SteveNash
11-18-2010, 01:13 AM
In 1978 Bill Walton after being slowed down by multiple injuries demanded a trade because he viewed Portland's medical staff as incompetent.

Let's take a list of a sample of Portland's victim list:
Bill Walton
Maurice Lucas
Sam Bowie
Kiki Vandeweghe
Scottie Pippen
Arvydas Sabonis
Brian Grant
Jermaine O'Neal
Zach Randolph
Darius Miles
Travis Outlaw
Ha Seung-Jin
Raef LaFrentz
Brandon Roy
Greg Oden
Joel Przybilla
Martell Webster
Nicolas Batum
Even Clyde Drexler ended up struggling with injuries at the end of his Portland career.

So is Portland really an unlucky team? Or was it it the fault of a poorly trained medical staff?

Slimsim
11-18-2010, 01:30 AM
i Don't really believe in Luck So i choose the other option

asandhu23
11-18-2010, 01:32 AM
err.... :sigh: my warriors

Mplsman
11-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Portland should change theirs up often...

lakers4sho
11-18-2010, 02:13 AM

...like a Bosh

TheHoopsProphet
11-18-2010, 02:51 AM
JohnNash:
considering youre a nobel prize laureate , i find the logistics of your argument as perplexing as and unnecessary as spinning rims on a beat-up toyota. I will only counter your weak argument that the medical staff (which im sure is filled with MIT grads) is possibly responsible for their misery by saying this. First and foremost Brent Roy and Greg Odom were already projected to be injury prone from anyone who studied their collegiate careers. But secondly, what happens when you flips a coin heads or tails? You call one side, and you have a 50% probability of being right. Heads or Tails, Greg Odom or Calvin Durant. Next time you get to make another call on the coin toss, but just because you were right or wrong on the previous doesnt increase or decrease your chances of being right or wrong on the next. The toss will remain a 50% chance, and you could have called heads 100 times before with the coin landing tails, but the next time you call on the 101th, it wont matter. It just matters what happens right then and right there. You always take the talented big over the talented guard, even if you keep calling for the big and missing.

alencp3
11-18-2010, 06:48 AM

Like a Bosh

alencp3
11-18-2010, 06:48 AM
...like a Bosh

oh :D

kingbrentg
11-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Surely there have been some personnel changes on their medical staff over the years.

CowboysKB24
11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Obviously, very important...

SteveNash
11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
JohnNash:
considering youre a nobel prize laureate , i find the logistics of your argument as perplexing as and unnecessary as spinning rims on a beat-up toyota. I will only counter your weak argument that the medical staff (which im sure is filled with MIT grads) is possibly responsible for their misery by saying this. First and foremost Brent Roy and Greg Odom were already projected to be injury prone from anyone who studied their collegiate careers. But secondly, what happens when you flips a coin heads or tails? You call one side, and you have a 50% probability of being right. Heads or Tails, Greg Odom or Calvin Durant. Next time you get to make another call on the coin toss, but just because you were right or wrong on the previous doesnt increase or decrease your chances of being right or wrong on the next. The toss will remain a 50% chance, and you could have called heads 100 times before with the coin landing tails, but the next time you call on the 101th, it wont matter. It just matters what happens right then and right there. You always take the talented big over the talented guard, even if you keep calling for the big and missing.

I don't know what you're rambling on about, but Portland said Greg Oden's knees were pristine coming into the draft. And Brandon Roy's knee before entering the draft has been overblown.

John Walls Era
11-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Obviously a team's medical staff is important, but I'm pretty sure every team's staff is close in terms of how good they are at their job.

bholly
11-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Surely there have been some personnel changes on their medical staff over the years.

Haha, this. You know Bill Walton played a looong time ago, right?

KDM1986
11-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Medical staff is one of the most important aspects of a sports team. A bad medical staff can rush injured players back misdiagnos an injury.

BillyHoyle35
11-18-2010, 07:14 PM
i think its possibly the docs, the blazers seem to have a lot of players that go down with season ending injuries and they do seem to have a lot of knee injuries.
also when you look at phoenix who seem to have really good docs and keep older players on the floor (nash, hill, shaq when he was there)
there is some luck to it of course, like the freak accident