PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gardenhire Wins 2010 AL Manager of the Year Award

MooseWithFleas
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Per MLB Network. Congrats to him!

Washington finished 2nd, Maddon 3rd.

Yankees Suck
11-17-2010, 03:06 PM
This is a bad pick. Ron Washington should have gotten this award. Gardenhire along with the Twins choke every year in the playoffs.

Hunter48MVP
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Ron Washington should have won

DaSox_05
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
This is a bad pick. Ron Washington should have gotten this award. Gardenhire along with the Twins choke every year in the playoffs.

Manager of the year along with the other awards are regualr season awards. Ballots are in before the playoffs start.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
He sure manages to waste the AL Central team in the playoffs every year...

CostanzaNumba0
11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Francona should have won, he kept that team alive in the best division with all of those injuries..gardenhire is a decent manager but his team has zero heart/backbone and are never even competitive against good teams, especially in october

koldjerky
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM

That doesn't matter in the voting.

Gardenhire finally got his.

DaSox_05
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Francona should have won, he kept that team alive in the best division with all of those injuries..gardenhire is a decent manager but his team has zero heart/backbone and are never even competitive against good teams, especially in october

How do you measure a teams heart and backbone?

The Jokemaker
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I disagree with this selection. I think Ron Washington should have won it. The Rangers(!) finally won their division and had an excellent year in the regular season.

Rylinkus
11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
I disagree with this selection. I think Ron Washington should have won it. The Rangers(!) finally won their division and had an excellent year in the regular season.

I'd argue they were a better team and should have won regardless of manager. They have the ROY, a guy in contention for MVP, and a guy in contention for CY. And a bunch of other very good players. I think Gardenhire did more with less.

DaSox_05
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
While you could of went either way with Washinton or Gardenhire imo. Gardy won because he lost an MVP 1B for half the season and a great closer for the whole season. While I hate the Twins I have always liked Gardy and wish he was on the South Side managing my White Sox.

Giraffes Rule
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
For all those saying Washington deserved it over Gerdenhire, you are aware that the Twins had a better record, right? I think we can all agree that the Rangers had more offensive talent for sure, and one of the best pitchers in the game. I think this pick was right on.

Yankees Suck
11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Manager of the year along with the other awards are regualr season awards. Ballots are in before the playoffs start.

The voters did not have to see Gardenhire in the post-season this year to know that his team does NOTHING in the post-season. Gardenhire is a sub-par manager.

d79cheese
11-17-2010, 03:23 PM
The voters did not have to see Gardenhire in the post-season this year to know that his team does NOTHING in the post-season. Gardenhire is a sub-par manager.

how does that have anything to do with the 2010 regular season?

Yankees Suck
While you could of went either way with Washinton or Gardenhire imo. Gardy won because he lost an MVP 1B for half the season and a great closer for the whole season. While I hate the Twins I have always liked Gardy and wish he was on the South Side managing my White Sox.

Why? If he managed the Chi Sox then they would never know what a Post-season win actually feels like.

tbone2171

You're ********...Voters submit votes before the playoffs begin.

Twins Fan 7
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
He was more deserving of this award in previous years, but the fact remains, The Twins had less talent than the Rangers (Washington) and still had a better record.

DodgerB24
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Good for him!

Yankees Suck
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
how does that have anything to do with the 2010 regular season?

As a manager is it not your job to try to win the world series? I don't want a manager who has a great regular season and then is 0-9 in the last three ALDS series.

DaSox_05
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Again, Manager of the year award is a REGULAR season award. No post season factors are taken into consideration.

Gardy has been the Twins manager for 9 years and has been to the playoffs 6 times and has been doing it with limited a payroll and the Twins were almost retracted a few years ago.

One Nut Kruk
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Good for Gardenhire. I like that chubby bastard.

One Nut Kruk
As a manager is it not your job to try to win the world series? I don't want a manager who has a great regular season and then is 0-9 in the last three ALDS series.

It's a regular season award dumbass.

tbone2171
Its about time he won! He's been runner-up something like 5 times. Plus I heard that the whole Washington admitting to used to using coke had a factor in the voting.

Yankees Suck
11-17-2010, 03:28 PM
You're ********...Voters submit votes before the playoffs begin.

The Voters should realize Gardenhire does this every year. He takes his team to the playoffs and then loses. We already know what will happen in 2011 season. The Twins win the division and lose the Yankees in the ALDS in three games.

DaSox_05
11-17-2010, 03:28 PM

You are still not understanding! Yes as a managers job is to win the World Series but this award is a REGULAR season award!

Yankees Suck
11-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Its about time he won! He's been runner-up something like 5 times. Plus I heard that the whole Washington admitting to used to using coke had a factor in the voting.

I think Gardenhire might want to try some coke if that will get him a ALDS win.

d79cheese
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM

again, it is a regular season award....playoff success has nothing to do with any of these awards. obviously the ultimate goal is to win a WS, but that is not the point of the award.

Yankees Suck
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
You are still not understanding! Yes as a managers job is to win the World Series but this award is a REGULAR season award!

I am trying to point out the award needs to be fixed. There is no reason to reward regular season success when the playoffs and World Series are the most important. Baseball is rewarding mediocrity with Gardenhire .

tbone2171
11-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I am trying to point out the award needs to be fixed. There is no reason to reward regular season success when the playoffs and World Series are the most important. Baseball is rewarding meritocracy with Gardenhire .

Meritocracy?? You might want to look up that definition lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy

Did you mean mediocrity?

Giraffes Rule
11-17-2010, 03:36 PM
The Voters should realize Gardenhire does this every year. He takes his team to the playoffs and then loses. We already know what will happen in 2011 season. The Twins win the division and lose the Yankees in the ALDS in three games.

That doesn't matter. The Manager of the Year award takes into consideration the regular season of the year the award is given out. That's all. No previous seasons or the post season matter. That's why they have separate post-season awards.

DaSox_05
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I am trying to point out the award needs to be fixed. There is no reason to reward regular season success when the playoffs and World Series are the most important. Baseball is rewarding mediocrity with Gardenhire .

Oh yea then why did you say this...

Bud Black did a fantastic job with the Padres this year.

The Padres didnt make the playoffs! Its ok for Bud Black to win but not Gardy?

D-Amazins
11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
For all those saying Washington deserved it over Gerdenhire, you are aware that the Twins had a better record, right? I think we can all agree that the Rangers had more offensive talent for sure, and one of the best pitchers in the game. I think this pick was right on.

:clap: Along with losing their AS 1B man and AS Closer.

tbone2171
11-17-2010, 03:43 PM

LOL!!! You caught Yankees Sucks with his pants down!! :clap:

ahoda
11-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Best manager in baseball and very deserving of this award. Congrats Rod.

One Nut Kruk
11-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Because he is clearly a moron.

Firebug
11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Congrats, Gardy. Although I don't understand his managerial jobs sometimes...

tbone2171
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Lol..Who??

ahoda
11-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Lol..Who??

:facepalm:

I wish I could type sometimes. :mad:

Young2Kinsler
11-17-2010, 04:06 PM
The one award I thought the Rangers would get... I think Ron Washington deserved this award, and it shouldn't have been close.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
The one award I thought the Rangers would get... I think Ron Washington deserved this award, and it shouldn't have been close.I agree. The Twins were supposed to win the division, who cares that Ron managed to let his team go 2-8 right before the playoffs, where hot teams move on.

kyubi256
11-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I felt Washington should have won this just by looking at the difference between when each team last made the playoffs... The Rangers were a bigger surprise IMO than the Twins

Gigantes4Life
11-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I thought Francona deserved the award, but now that I know Yankees Suck thinks so as well I might have to change my mind.

koldjerky
11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree. The Twins were supposed to win the division, who cares that Ron managed to let his team go 2-8 right before the playoffs, where hot teams move on.

They were suppose to win the division with a healthy Joe Nathan and Morneau.

And Minnesota still won the division by 6 games. They could've lost their last 10 games and the White Sox could've won their last 10 and the Twins still would have won.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
They were suppose to win the division with a healthy Joe Nathan and Morneau.

And Minnesota still won the division by 6 games. They could've lost their last 10 games and the White Sox could've won their last 10 and the Twins still would have won.What difference does that make with my post? If they went 0-10 to finish off the season what kind of momentum does that mean for the playoffs? The voters aren't ignorant of the playoffs, I'm sure they can see a team falling apart before the playoffs even happen.

One Nut Kruk
11-17-2010, 04:51 PM
You're clearly just a AL Central hater. Probably think Ozzie Guillen should have gotten it.

Pinstripe pride
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Francona should have won keeping that team competive and in the race with all the injuries he had to deal with. gardenhire would be my second choice. better choice than washington, and since his team made the playoffs, understandably he won over francona

Rdy2PlayBall
11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
You're clearly just a AL Central hater. Probably think Ozzie Guillen should have gotten it.Okay??... :confused:

CostanzaNumba0
11-17-2010, 05:14 PM
How do you measure a teams heart and backbone?

You can't measure it but you can certainly infer it, look at their record in the playoffs since he got there

CostanzaNumba0
11-17-2010, 05:15 PM
People completely overrate the impact of managers anyway

DaSox_05
11-17-2010, 05:16 PM
You can't measure it but you can certainly infer it, look at their record in the playoffs since he got there

For the last time Manager of the year award has nothing to do with the post season.

Giants27
11-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I thought Washington had this one..I guess they didnt want cocaine addict to win...

I had too.

11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
This is the way I see it:

The Twins and Rangers ended last season with nearly identical records (before the one game playoff).

The Twins improved by 8 wins this season without Nathan and with Morneau hurt for most of the season.

The Rangers improved by only 3 wins while having Lee on their staff for nearly half the season.

The LAA basically tanked this season allowing the Ranger to take the division while no one really tanked in the AL Central compared to last season (Tigers and White Sox flipped positions and records).

MacFitz92
11-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Ron got jipped.

Yankees Suck
11-18-2010, 12:54 AM

I said this because Bud Black took a team with nothing on it (besides A-Gon) to the final game of the season versus the World Series champs. Gardenhire had the best catcher in the game in Mauer. He had Delmon Young with his best season in the MLB and a fantastic pitching rotation. Yet the Twins curled up and the corner and let the Yankees go to town on them in the ALDS.

Beastley8
11-18-2010, 03:22 AM

I said this because Bud Black took a team with nothing on it (besides A-Gon) to the final game of the season versus the World Series champs. Gardenhire had the best catcher in the game in Mauer. He had Delmon Young with his best season in the MLB and a fantastic pitching rotation. Yet the Twins curled up and the corner and let the Yankees go to town on them in the ALDS.

Fantastic pitching rotation? :facepalm:

Both Ron's were deserving, and I didn't really care who won it (i'm a Twins fan)...

No one truly got robbed in the AL voting IMO. Now, the NL, that's a different story. I believe Dusty Baker got snubbed.

Ron!n
11-18-2010, 05:50 AM
How is it Gardenhires fault that the Twins cant win a game in the postseason? Its not like he tells them to stop playing when its October.

Fact of the matter is Gardenhire managed to get the Twins into the postseason by a good margin and they were one of the top teams in the AL without Nathan or Morneau. Stop Hating.

DaSox_05
11-19-2010, 12:13 PM

It doesnt matter what happened in the post season! The voters turn there ballots in for these awards prior to the post season starting! You applaud what Bud Black did but in your previous post saying he deserves the award yet he did not take his team to the playoffs. But Gardy wins it and you say this...

Gardy's team made the playoffs! So what is it!?

WSU Tony
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd argue they were a better team and should have won regardless of manager. They have the ROY, a guy in contention for MVP, and a guy in contention for CY. And a bunch of other very good players. I think Gardenhire did more with less.

On the flip side, the Twins lost Morneau and Nathan for the year....

Yankees Suck
11-20-2010, 12:17 AM
It doesnt matter what happened in the post season! The voters turn there ballots in for these awards prior to the post season starting! You applaud what Bud Black did but in your previous post saying he deserves the award yet he did not take his team to the playoffs. But Gardy wins it and you say this...

Gardy's team made the playoffs! So what is it!?

Maybe if the Twins had the same payroll as the Padres I would change my opinion.

Havoc Wreaker
11-20-2010, 11:29 AM
About damn time he wins.

Go Twins :cheer:

Havoc Wreaker
11-20-2010, 11:31 AM
How is it Gardenhires fault that the Twins cant win a game in the postseason? Its not like he tells them to stop playing when its October.

Fact of the matter is Gardenhire managed to get the Twins into the postseason by a good margin and they were one of the top teams in the AL without Nathan or Morneau. Stop Hating.
In all fairness, and speaking as a soft-core Twins fan, it seems like he over-manages (at least the bullpen) in the playoffs and fails...but that doesn't matter much for this award.