PDA

View Full Version : Video: Devin Harris tackles Blake Griffin, gets ejected

spreadeagle
11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWF3luMGKI Pretty hard foul..what do you all think.How many games?

redsox0717
11-16-2010, 06:32 PM
He doesn't deserve any suspension, nor did he deserve the ejection. That's a flagrant 1, imo

You have to take intent into account with situations like this, and I don't think he intended to hurt Griffin at all.

Infamous916
11-16-2010, 06:35 PM
It was a good hard foul nothing malicious about it.

No he diddnt go for the ball but still he was just trying to prevent easy points.
After the foul you can see his facial expression & he was concerned about Blake being injured.

I thought it was a bit rash to eject him from the game but that's the referees job.

0 game suspension imo.

Robbw241
11-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Was very harsh to eject him, adding a suspension would be BS. He was trying to wrap him up but Blake jumped while he was in the process of wrapping him up.

xxcubs22xx
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree with the first two replies. It wasn't a foul that warranted a suspension or ejection in my opinion.

Jaji
11-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Hard foul. Definitely flagrant. And I can agree with the ejection as well. But I don't think he had any ill intent. He was just trying to prevent the easy 2. PG vs a PF, he had to hit him hard. He just hit him too hard.

JWO35
11-16-2010, 06:41 PM
That weak sauce....shouldn't even be a foul!

29$JerZ
11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Wasn't a flagrant 2 nor worthy of an ejection, nothing malicious or evil about it.
If Blake has hurt his Knee I'd see why this type of action would be viewed as very bad but at worst its a Flagrant 1.

SteveNash
11-16-2010, 06:45 PM
All it should of been was a shooting foul.

hornetsfansydne
11-16-2010, 06:48 PM
was definately worthy of the ejection. hard contact like that is not a part of the game of basketball. im all for physical play but when a player has the potential to be seriously injured like the player needs to be removed from the game

arkanian215
11-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Devin Harris will not be suspended for his flagrant foul on Blake Griffin. "No further action" was the message from the NBA.http://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets/status/4637101647732736

spreadeagle
11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
was definately worthy of the ejection. hard contact like that is not a part of the game of basketball. im all for physical play but when a player has the potential to be seriously injured like the player needs to be removed from the game

and it was from behind..the player cant brace themselves for a big hit

KG2TB
11-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Meh...flagrant one at worst. The league is so ****en soft it's ridiculous.

Byronicle
11-16-2010, 06:55 PM
umm knowing this kid missed a whole year to a knee injury, is it really worth committing a hard foul on a kid that could have possible busted his knee once again? just so that he wouldn't get an easy 2 points right, you rather rip down a rookie and potentially injure him rather than let him have 2 pts, and even worst case scenario end his career right?

he didnt go for the ball, he had his arm around the guys neck, its not like he was pulling his arms down, he had his arm around his neck, he should get suspended, he couldve fractured his trachea, and if he did and even though it look like an accident, it was careless

how can people not see what is wrong with this

Klivlend
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
umm knowing this kid missed a whole year to a knee injury, is it really worth committing a hard foul on a kid that could have possible busted his knee once again? just so that he wouldn't get an easy 2 points right, you rather rip down a rookie and potentially injure him rather than let him have 2 pts, and even worst case scenario end his career right?

he didnt go for the ball, he had his arm around the guys neck, its not like he was pulling his arms down, he had his arm around his neck, he should get suspended, he couldve fractured his trachea, and if he did and even though it look like an accident, it was careless

You are being overly sarcatic, right?

maddBat
11-16-2010, 07:04 PM

yeayeayea he could have been injured... could hav died blah blah. but he didnt. and look at harris right after. didnt mean 2 body slam him. he was just stopping an easy bucket. there have been far worse fouls than this hence the nba not giving harris a fine/suspension

heyman321
11-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Meh...flagrant one at worst. The league is so ****en soft it's ridiculous.

I guess you'd be okay with some guy pulling you down by the neck while running and jumping at full speed. Cool.

Netslunatic76
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I guess you'd be okay with some guy pulling you down by the neck while running and jumping at full speed. Cool.

Griffin has an easy 50lbs on Harris. He went at him little hard, most would agree, but lets not overreact.

Rego247
11-16-2010, 07:21 PM

i get what ur saying byronicle and i agree to a degree. it was a hard foul, yes, but i dont believe the intent was there to harm him. it was a hard foul at most i agree with an ejection, at most. but if u look his reaction after the play u could tell he didnt mean it. does his reaction diminish the severity of the foul? no, but im willing to give harris the benefit of the doubt, he isnt a dirty player imo. i think he wanted to wrap him up, but he mistimed it, dont think it was too malicious. but thats the way i see it bro.

balla4life22
11-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't think its that big a deal. Harris was just trying to stop an easy 2 pts. You could tell Harris felt bad about it after. People complain about how the league is soft nowadays. The fouls back then were just as hard if not harder.

jimbobjarree
11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
the NBA is going soft. Wasnt a flagrant, shouldnt get any ban

G-Bay New J
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
It was a foul that looked a lot worse than it was. Devin didn't go for the ball but he had no intent to foul Griffin that hard.

It was just a case of the wrong things happening at the wrong time. If Devin would have grabbed him 1 second earlier nothing would have happened, but Harris grabbed him right as he was jumping. So it made it look a lot worse than it was.

I'm glad he's not suspended. Last year the night before the Utah game Devin hurt his ankle and didn't play the Jazz. Since I go to the Nets @ Jazz games I would have been sooo pissed if two years in a row something happens to Devin the game before the Jazz and he doesn't play.

knicksfan42
11-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Flagrant 2, shouldn't have went for the neck.

COBY KARL
11-16-2010, 08:27 PM
If you really watch though, Devin was tryin to wrap him up on the floor, but Griffin was already in the motion of taking off causing him to lose his balance and fall backwards
definitely a flagrant 2 by TODAYS standards
but no suspension needed

Geargo Wallace
11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
1 game sounds about right. You shouldn't be allowed to take a guy out like that. That could have been so much worse.

ManRam
11-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Not at all. He clearly did not mean any malice. His reaction after the fact really seemed sincere to me. He clearly did not want that result to happen.

He has no history to speak of either. 1 game is fine. I could have lived with no suspension at all in all honesty.

ChiSox219
11-16-2010, 09:16 PM
He doesn't deserve any suspension, nor did he deserve the ejection. That's a flagrant 1, imo

You have to take intent into account with situations like this, and I don't think he intended to hurt Griffin at all.

I agree with this.

oldenpolynice
11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Thought this was worthy of a Flagrant 2. Harris had intent to harm, I think. Tackled him around the neck.

What do you think?

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/?p=751

Chacarron
11-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Blake Griffin was trying his best Paul Pierce impersonation.

Chicagofaithful
11-16-2010, 09:29 PM
eh, def deserved an ejection, but nothing more. It wasnt THAT aggressive.

Ragun
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
deserves ejection not a suspension...

daleja424
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
That is a suspension.... thats a horse tackle! He could have torn up Griffin's knees and ruined his season if his leg would have been caught under him...

There is no place for that in basketball. Id give him at least 3 games... that could have been a season ending foul...

Joshtd1
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
He definately meant to grab him around the neck, but I dont think the intent was to actually injure him. Same thing Craig Smith did to George Hill the other week. Ejection is all that is neccessary IMO.

If Griffin would have been in the air already and then Harris tried it..that would be different, but Griffin wasnt in the air yet.

Chicagofaithful
11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
That is a suspension.... thats a horse tackle! He could have torn up Griffin's knees and ruined his season if his leg would have been caught under him...

There is no place for that in basketball. Id give him at least 3 games... that could have been a season ending foul...

i disagree.. the only way that is a season ending foul is if some freak accident happens. Should he have been ejected? No quetions asked. But ppl blowing it out of proportion

netsgiantsyanks
11-16-2010, 09:54 PM
he didnt the deserve the ejection to begin with. it was a mistake, just like what he did against cleveland on jamario moon.

John Walls Era
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Remember when those were considered good hard fouls? At most a flag. 1.

AI4MVP
11-16-2010, 11:37 PM
i just lost alot of respect for the clippers. not one of his teammates stepped up or said anything to devin harris

effen5
11-16-2010, 11:44 PM
In the 90s thats was just a regular foul....:(

MacFitz92
11-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Now it is true that the league is soft. There should be more contact allowed in the paint, but nothing about clotheslining a player who is defenseless should be a part of basketball. He got ejected, he hopefully learned his lesson. Let's move on.

MacFitz92
11-16-2010, 11:53 PM
i just lost alot of respect for the clippers. not one of his teammates stepped up or said anything to devin harris

I hate it when people make stupid comments like this.

Devin Harris was wrong, and deserved an ejection imo. But when Griffin was on the floor, Harris knew he was wrong, and didn't start anything with the Clips. You want them to get in their face and start ****? That's how fights break out players gain suspensions, or technical fouls occur.

imagesrdecievin
11-17-2010, 12:01 AM
I hate it when people make stupid comments like this.

Devin Harris was wrong, and deserved an ejection imo. But when Griffin was on the floor, Harris knew he was wrong, and didn't start anything with the Clips. You want them to get in their face and start ****? That's how fights break out players gain suspensions, or technical fouls occur.

On the other hand...

A good hard foul the other way should have went down. Nothing over the top - just a message sent that if you hit one of ours - expect to be hit back.

And this is coming from a Nets fan. League is way too soft nowadays.

arkanian215
11-17-2010, 12:06 AM

I don't think Devin was thinking all those things when he was trying to stop Blake from getting an easy two.

69centers
11-17-2010, 12:16 AM
He sent Griffin downward, shoulders and back first. Easily warrants the flagrant 2 and ejection. It matters not if Griffin was ok. The fact he pulled someone down by the neck and didn't go for the ball is completely uncalled for and could lead to serious injury.

Since he was ejected, he may not get any further suspension.

MacFitz92
11-17-2010, 12:21 AM
On the other hand...

A good hard foul the other way should have went down. Nothing over the top - just a message sent that if you hit one of ours - expect to be hit back.

And this is coming from a Nets fan. League is way too soft nowadays.

That's ridiculous. That's how brawls start.

Bruno
11-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Cry me a river. He didn't grab his neck, he grabbed his inner shoulder. In the 80's this wouldn't have even made sports center.

This should have been a flagrent- non ejection, and certainly no fine or suspension.

NothingbutWill
11-17-2010, 03:23 AM
Ejection, no suspension but I won't be surprised if the league suspends him for a game. Harris didn't mean for Griffin to fall like that and Harris shouldn't of tried to foul him like that either but since he had a split second to think, he went for the quickest and easiest way.

Glad Griffin is okay tho.

crazygolucky
11-17-2010, 03:41 AM
thats a flagrant 2 for sure. i dont know what you guys are talkin about. you cant just wrap your arm around someones neck/shoulder area and pull them to the ground while they are going up to the basket. careers could be ended that way.

no suspension though, since his intent wasnt malicious. but thats WAY too hard a foul to just be a flagrant 1.

imagesrdecievin
11-17-2010, 05:59 AM
That's ridiculous. That's how brawls start.

Not really. Usually it would just draw a warning from the refs via a bunch of ticky tack fouls and then men could get back to playing a competitive sport without fear of being butchered either way.

Allowing a big foul to go down without any sort of retaliation is just an invitation for more hard fouls. This is a man's game with testosterone and machismo. There is a need for a team to get territorial and protect one of it's own. Being respected as a tough team(not dirty) goes a long way towards being competitive.

Sactown
11-17-2010, 06:10 AM
clean block imo
All ball

checkit
11-17-2010, 09:33 AM
shouldn't have been a flagrant 2. no maliciousness there.

ee
11-17-2010, 09:49 AM

I was just gonna bold a sentence or two but this is ridiculous.....you think Devin was thinking about his damn trachea or how long Griffin was injured lol, in a fast situation like this?....It was a clean hard foul, that's all it is....

cry babies nowadays, my goodness!!!

Byronicle
11-17-2010, 09:59 AM
You are being overly sarcatic, right?

yeayeayea he could have been injured... could hav died blah blah. but he didnt. and look at harris right after. didnt mean 2 body slam him. he was just stopping an easy bucket. there have been far worse fouls than this hence the nba not giving harris a fine/suspension

ok, this is no different from this situation

hey i can throw knives pretty darn good, you know what as a joke why dont i throw a knife at my friend to spook him right? wouldn't that be funny? you know what happens, i misfire and i get him right on the leg, that missed a main artery which he would've bled to death. But do I get fined? Umm yes, it was careless and reckless and could have been avoided and it really wasn't worth potentially harming my friend for life or worst just to spook my friend.

i get what ur saying byronicle and i agree to a degree. it was a hard foul, yes, but i dont believe the intent was there to harm him. it was a hard foul at most i agree with an ejection, at most. but if u look his reaction after the play u could tell he didnt mean it. does his reaction diminish the severity of the foul? no, but im willing to give harris the benefit of the doubt, he isnt a dirty player imo. i think he wanted to wrap him up, but he mistimed it, dont think it was too malicious. but thats the way i see it bro.

there was no ill intent whatsoever.

it wasn't a dirty play, but a supsension to message that should be given that people give hard fouls with more caution the next time it runs through their mind instead of being reckless and just plain thoughtless

i mean did he really need to put your hand around his neck, couldn't you just rip down both his arms or just his shooting arm??

its like these kids at the daycare where i work after school, they do stupid stunts and so i throw a punishment at them. they always complain saying they didn't get hurt, but then i asked could you have gotten hurt? and who would get introuble for your carelessness?

and how long will it take before someone gets really hurt and we decide, ok these hard fouls have to be taken with more consideration, maybe its when Harris gets hard fouled and breaks his spine, ending his career that people will try and be a little bit more careful

Byronicle
11-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I was just gonna bold a sentence or two but this is ridiculous.....you think Devin was thinking about his damn trachea or how long Griffin was injured lol, in a fast situation like this?....It was a clean hard foul, that's all it is....

cry babies nowadays, my goodness!!!

do you even know how easy it is to do that? you just need ten lbs of pressure to break someone's trachea. did i say that devin harris had that in mind while running down the court? i was just pointing out a possibility out of countless possibilities that could've happened in this play. his intent was not evil but was stupid, you mean to say when he hard fouled him, he didn't mean to put his arm around his neck? i dunno there is a huge difference between putting your arm around someone's head and someone's arm.

and fast situation? he is chasing down a bigman across the entire court with intentions of a hard foul, it wasn't like what people do to dwight howard in the paint where its more like 2 seconds to react,, he is a PG that has to make smart decisions when driving at high speeds, you would think he could've thought of something a little smarter correct?

see that is all you read, you didn't get the point, if the injury had been worst he be suspended for a long *** time right? so how long will it take and how bad of an injury before players get supsended for STUPID hard fouls

so really his hard foul would have gone to either these 2 situations...

hard foul on griffin, no ill intent and complete accident = no injury
hard foul on griffin, no ill intent and complete accident = injury

...but people argued it never happened, but it could've especially with Griffin's knee history, do you actually think that there is absolutely no possibility that Griffin would've reinjured his knee from this hard foul? We see hard fouls over and over again but are usually in the paint where the guy is standing still and jumping on both feet, not running at full speed.

its no different in hockey when you make are about to make a hit on a guy near the boards and last minute he dips over and gets his neck smushed, yeah he shouldn't have dipped over but who gets penalized? the hitter, and you know why? because he shouldn't be giving someone a huge hit near the boards where time and time again we've seen really bad injuries happen when they get sandwiched like that

this is not even a playoff game, hell its against the Clippers.

dodie53
11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
it didn't even hurt Blake.

but he deserved to be ejected

Corey
11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd be fine if they just called it a clear path flagrant 1.

I wouldn't have ejected him.

Trouble87
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
it wasn't a clothesline or a tackle

Devin Harris just wanted to stop the layup, can't say that it was smart for him to try and grab Griffin while he was elevating

Griffin could've gotten seriously hurt

Not a hard foul or bad intentions behind it, just dumb.... Maybe a 5 game suspension to give The Blur a slap in the face

who grabs someone while they're elevating? you do that to someone on a streetball court and it would be a fight

Byronicle
11-17-2010, 10:29 AM
it wasn't a clothesline or a tackle

Devin Harris just wanted to stop the layup, can't say that it was smart for him to try and grab Griffin while he was elevating

Griffin could've gotten seriously hurt

Not a hard foul or bad intentions behind it, just dumb.... Maybe a 5 game suspension to give The Blur a slap in the face

who grabs someone while they're elevating? you do that to someone on a streetball court and it would be a fight

exactly what i've been saying, it was careless. thank you

Sly Guy
11-17-2010, 10:32 AM
can't allow stuff like this, even if the intent was simply a hard foul. Anything neck and above for a player airborne is simply to dangerous. I don't think there should be a suspension, but the call was the correct one.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM

hahahahahaa

not quite there yet

Hawkize31
11-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Very hard foul. I can live with an ejection, but I think it would have been fine without one.

Byronicle
11-17-2010, 12:16 PM

LMAO

actually more like on regular shooting fouls

COOLbeans
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
a hard foul that by today's standards is flagrant.

daleja424
11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
even if he wasnt trying to hurt Griffin...that kind of take down from behind COULD have hurt him seriously anyways....

sometimes intent isnt all that important...

he made a non-basketball play that risked Griffin's health... that is not okay

TrueFan420
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
it was a good hard foul... this is not the wnba these are men playing

VinceCarter
11-17-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWF3luMGKI Pretty hard foul..what do you all think.How many games?

hahaha "tackled"? No.

You can tell he didn't mean any harm and just wrapped his arms a little high. He was probably going for Blake's arms and got his neck.

I think a flagrant 1 would of been the right call.

VinceCarter
11-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Thankfully he didn't do this to PP. Devin would of got a 3 game suspension. :laugh2:

tangent12
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
That's the kind of risk you take in a playoff series to possibly injure their best player and better your chances at winning the series, not now.

Come on Harris, you should know better.

DaBUU
11-17-2010, 05:48 PM

So Devin Harris is supposed to worry about his injury history at that moment. Even looked like Harris tried holding him up, but they were both going too fast. He better not get suspended, that my fantasy league #1 PG.

ignorance=bliss
11-17-2010, 05:54 PM

So your saying you'd rather watch what you see 99% of the time now, which is all the players on D turn their head and watch the offensive player drive into the lane and throw down a dunk?

Um... no.

Thats what has made the NBA ****.

Harris is from Wisco homies! He's just g'in hard! Ask any player from Wisco, You gonna just let that dude get the easy 2 points? Hell NO, you bring that dude down. Just the way it is. Man's Game *****!

If you don't want to see people get hurt go watch figure skating g.

Lim
11-17-2010, 07:43 PM
So your saying you'd rather watch what you see 99% of the time now, which is all the players on D turn their head and watch the offensive player drive into the lane and throw down a dunk?

Um... no.

Thats what has made the NBA ****.

Harris is from Wisco homies! He's just g'in hard! Ask any player from Wisco, You gonna just let that dude get the easy 2 points? Hell NO, you bring that dude down. Just the way it is. Man's Game *****!

If you don't want to see people get hurt go watch figure skating g.

yea im sure just people from Wisconsin try to prevent people from getting an easy bucket..

montazingmvp
11-17-2010, 09:24 PM
only in the soft *** nba would this warrant someone getting kicked out of a game

USMCLaker
11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
it was a good hard foul nothing malicious about it.

No he diddnt go for the ball but still he was just trying to prevent easy points.
after the foul you can see his facial expression & he was concerned about blake being injured.

I thought it was a bit rash to eject him from the game but that's the referees job.

0 game suspension imo.

x2

Kashmir13579
11-17-2010, 10:07 PM
shouldn't have even been ejected IMO. NBA is so soft.

pd1dish
11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
he went for ball with his left arm...if he hadnt have hooked griffin with his left arm, it would have been a good, hard foul

CountSackula
11-17-2010, 10:19 PM
:laugh2: At first glance, I thought the title read "Del Harris tackles Blake Griffin, gets ejected"