PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes: Orlando Not as Good Without Me

JordansBulls
11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Link (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/11/matt-barnes-orlando-not-as-good-without-me/)

Barnes, still salty for not having received a big payday from the Magic (or anywhere else for that matter), gives the team a less than favorable evaluation. From ESPN: “Orlando didn’t offer me a dollar,’ he said of the Orlando Magic, the team he played for last season. ‘But they’re paying for it now. When they played [the] Heat, I saw them get blown out because they couldn’t handle the wings. I feel for the guys on the team but it’s definitely a business.’ Some wounds heal slowly. Scars never fade. Barnes doesn’t bother trying to hide his. ‘Since I got an opportunity to play in Golden State [in 2006-07], I’ve put together four or five solid seasons with no real rewards,’ he said. ‘Luckily I’ve landed here. And when you win everything happens so hopefully good things come from [being here].’ He said it like he meant it. But he also said it like a guy who has been let down before and has learned to trust only in his own effort and abilities. ‘I really wish I knew the answer to it. But I just continue to play hard,’ he said.”

Lakerfrk
11-16-2010, 08:56 PM
eeeek. As a Laker fan, Im not really sure how I feel about this...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-16-2010, 09:00 PM
he's perfect for the lakers, always hustles for loose balls and never gives up, 6 rebounds in 20 minutes doesn't hurt also

kswissdaf
11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Probably taken out of context. Just like 99 percent of controversial things said by players

KnicksorBust
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
The best thing about a guy like Barnes is that he's a punch the clock kind of player. In your face, balls out, hustle guy who loves the game and is for the team. Then you hear him spout something like this and you can't help but think "oh shut up, who are you?"

He landed in a great spot for him, just worry about getting your ring and leave Orlando out of your mouth.

_KB24_
11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
He did deserve a atleast the MLE. Certainly should be making more money than Walton and guys like Vujacic. He was the best signing in terms of dollar value the Lakers could have got.

Raidaz4Life
11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
He should be the last one talking about defense on the wings after the Suns dropped 100000 3 pointers on them sunday.

Joshtd1
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
The best thing about a guy like Barnes is that he's a punch the clock kind of player. In your face, balls out, hustle guy who loves the game and is for the team. Then you hear him spout something like this and you can't help but think "oh shut up, who are you?"

He landed in a great spot for him, just worry about getting your ring and leave Orlando out of your mouth.

X2

Barnes to me seems like he's just another person that thinks he's better then he really is.

dnewguy
11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Same guy that cant even get a inbound play right, this guy turned the ball over in the most unbelievable way when the Lakers needed it least.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Same guy that cant even get a inbound play right, this guy turned the ball over in the most unbelievable way when the Lakers needed it least.

:confused::facepalm:

zambo4president
11-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Matt Barnes is pretty solid off the bench. Orlando would probably like having him but their still pretty well off without him.

JasonJohnHorn
11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I have to say Orlando was better with Barnes. They are still a contender without him, but his scrappy play, defence, rebounding and work ethic really helped them last year.

Byronicle
11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I like to see him get in the paint with Dwight and his special move, the "Elbow Whirlwind"

shep33
11-17-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm a Laker fan, and I was surprised Orlando didn't pay him to stay. The guy started for them, was arguably their best defender, and played better than VC or Lewis in the playoffs with a bad back.

kblo247
11-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks Orlando :)

See My Sig

MagicBucsSox
11-17-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm a Laker fan, and I was surprised Orlando didn't pay him to stay. The guy started for them, was arguably their best defender, and played better than VC or Lewis in the playoffs with a bad back.

he's was never the best defender, he was just a guy with attitude, case in point the game vs LA, kobe struuggled and then Barnes starts talking trash pump faking throwing the ball at kobe...................then Kobe went off.

he says the heat killed us but ok WHAT WOULD HE HAVE DONE DIFFERENT? they just shot the lights out on us and smothered dwight.

Where was him and his ego when Paul Pierce abuses us? exactly HE WAS THE ONE ON PIERCE
f him

king4day
11-17-2010, 01:28 AM
It's easy to talk trash when your standing behind two of the best players in the league.
He's prob upset they didn't try resigning him but it's laughable cuz he was close to a big contract with the raptors. After that fell through, I'm sure every team woulda gone after him if they knew they coulda had him at the minimum again.

Raph12
11-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Seeming as how we were nearly swept by the Celts, while Pierce took a big **** all over Barnes' defense, I think we'll be okay without him.

JordansBulls
11-17-2010, 09:49 AM
X2

Barnes to me seems like he's just another person that thinks he's better then he really is.

He is all hustle. That is what a team like Orlando needed.

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm actually surprised to see some hate comign from Orlando fans. I remeber a lot of Orlando fans talking him up last year. I didnt even think he was that good coming to Orlando and had to admit that i was wrong as the year progressed. I was hoping he'd stay with Orlando because he really seemed to fit in with that system, but any team in this league would be better with Barnes on their bench in my opinion. The guy has great work ethic, will play a role, work the boards and hussle on D and for loose balls. He is an energy player that can create momentum for a team and bottom line: I think any GM in the league would take him because he would make any team better.

That said, I'd pick LA to win it all with out him, and I think the Magic are legit contenders who can play with the best, but cant beat the best in a 7 game series, with or without Barnes.

SouljahPhil...
11-17-2010, 11:22 AM
he will also be gone from the lakers next year..

JordansBulls
11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
he will also be gone from the lakers next year..

Why?? Is he only a 1 year deal?

Gibby23
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Why?? Is he only a 1 year deal?

2 year deal, but he can opt out after 1 year, he probably will if he can get paid.

jer3miah
11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
All I can do is laugh about Matt's comments. I am glad Orlando didn't pay him. Bad 3 shooter (got Q rich), good defender (pietrus playing much better this year without barnes there), and bad chemist with us. Matt will continue to be passed on from team to team like usual. Go Magic!

Gibby23
11-17-2010, 01:53 PM
All I can do is laugh about Matt's comments. I am glad Orlando didn't pay him. Bad 3 shooter (got Q rich), good defender (pietrus playing much better this year without barnes there), and bad chemist with us. Matt will continue to be passed on from team to team like usual. Go Magic!

Barnes is playing better than both of those guys, Q is just garbage now.

Double_R
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
What he needs to do is re watch his playoff performance for the Magic and then he won't say another word, because he will know why they didn't offer him a dime. He was beyond terrible in the playoffs, took terrible shots, had extremely late game important turnovers, shot the ball terrible, played very mediocre defense and played terrible against the Celtics. So if he wants to know why the Magic let him go, watch the tape of last year's playoffs.

Gibby23
11-17-2010, 02:14 PM
What he needs to do is re watch his playoff performance for the Magic and then he won't say another word, because he will know why they didn't offer him a dime. He was beyond terrible in the playoffs, took terrible shots, had extremely late game important turnovers, shot the ball terrible, played very mediocre defense and played terrible against the Celtics. So if he wants to know why the Magic let him go, watch the tape of last year's playoffs.

But they hang on to Rashard Lewis who is averaging about the same stats as Barnes in 10 more min a game and is shooting in the 35% range and 30% from 3 point range. Lewis is only making 18 million more than Barnes.

leftymo
11-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Orlando's two biggest weaknesses are Rashard Lewis and Vince Carter. The last 1+ seasons have shown that Rashard needs to be moved for an upgrade. He's an occasionally good regular season player.

Jonathan2323
11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Q Rich>Barnes, Magic aren't missing him.

shep33
11-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Q Rich>Barnes, Magic aren't missing him.

Meh, I have to disagree with that. Especially not this year so far... Q-rich scoring 5.6 ppg, shooting 31.7% from the field and 25% from 3, 4.7 rpg, and 1.1 apg and he started 6 of 10 games.

Barnes off the bench- 8.6ppg, 46.3% from the field, 34.8% from 3, 5.8 rebounds and 2.1 apg

Both play 21 mins per game... I think Barnes is more versatile than Q-rich, and his energy level is better IMO.

shep33
11-17-2010, 04:04 PM
I really think Orlando should look at Arenas, he's actually playing decent ball...in 2 of his last 3. Starting to maybe get in rhythm although he played bad last night i believe.

Double_R
11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
But they hang on to Rashard Lewis who is averaging about the same stats as Barnes in 10 more min a game and is shooting in the 35% range and 30% from 3 point range. Lewis is only making 18 million more than Barnes.

First of all the irrelevance of this statement is astounding, but it also shows your lack of basketball knowledge and thus discredits you even more. Furthermore, all your doing is trying to talk **** anyway. If Barnes played for the Heat right now, all you would be doing is talking about how terrible he is.

IndyRealist
11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
True.

/thread

GodsSon
11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Well he's certainly not short on confidence...

I was actually hoping that deal with TO happened

Gibby23
11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
First of all the irrelevance of this statement is astounding, but it also shows your lack of basketball knowledge and thus discredits you even more. Furthermore, all your doing is trying to talk **** anyway. If Barnes played for the Heat right now, all you would be doing is talking about how terrible he is.

How is posting stats talking ****? Im wack like Orlando's starting PF and SF.

daleja424
11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
meh...

someone certainly has a high opinion of himself...

tangent12
11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
He does have a point. The Magic do lack toughness, specially when their leader is all giggles and laughs out there on the court.

Barnes obviously brought some toughness and it was contagious at times but at the same time he wasn't that BIG of a difference. He's just a role player, nothing more, nothing less.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
i like barnes' game, his hustle, etcc

but he is such a ********** punk.

JordansBulls
11-17-2010, 06:38 PM
i like barnes' game, his hustle, etcc

but he is such a ********** punk.

He would have been better if he went to a team like the Bulls instead. At least he would have started at SG.

mohye
11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
He is the kind of player you love when hes on your team and the kind of player you hate when he is not..all you fans of other teams are hating cuz Matt's gonna get his ring in purple and gold by joining the best team in the league..

But yes I see him opting out and getting a decent paday by someone after he wins a ring...

The Raven
11-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Well he certainly has been a huge impact for us off the bench so good for the Lakers, bad for the Magic

JordansBulls
11-20-2010, 08:16 PM
I wish the Bulls had this guy at SG.

Avenged
11-20-2010, 09:00 PM
He's been great for the Lakers/ defending, making shots, hustling, and bringing energy. He's definitely not as good as he makes himself out to be, but he's a helluva role player for a championship team, i'll tell you that much.

kblo247
11-20-2010, 09:08 PM
He's been great for the Lakers/ defending, making shots, hustling, and bringing energy. He's definitely not as good as he makes himself out to be, but he's a helluva role player for a championship team, i'll tell you that much.

He and Ron form a tandem at the SF spot that LA hasn't had since Fox and George.

skiflyer
11-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Orlando messed up. Guys like Barnes are keepers. This year with the Lakers he has been really good and getting better every game as he learns our system. He has a work ethic like Kobe's. Once Kobe get's his full leg strenth back and Drew comes back, we will all see the shut down D the Lakers are capable of.

I see the Lakers giving him an extension in the range of what they pay Sasha and Luke when the time comes. Way to go Mitch ;)

Geargo Wallace
11-20-2010, 10:04 PM
I think Orlando was better before Matt Barnes.

John Walls Era
11-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Hedo says the same thing too...

IAmKira
11-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I wish the Bulls had this guy at SG.

u wish every1 would go to the bulls. :pity:

PHX2daDEATH
11-20-2010, 10:27 PM
i liked Barnes when he was here for one year with Shaq.. the guy is a role player and is making what he should though

topdog
11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
The guy is a mercenary. I don't think many teams are looking to lock a guy into a big contract when he's just eyeing his next paycheck.

CityofChaos
11-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I love Barnes but I think if he didn't play so well during his time in Golden State, no team would think high of him.

Raph12
11-21-2010, 01:44 AM
He's a hustle guy, not a lockdown defender and we (the Magic) need the latter more than the former... Not to mention, he isn't a good shooter.

iggypop123
11-21-2010, 02:18 AM
orlando's mistake is continuing to go small. rashard lewis is a waste but not as bad as a crappy player at sf. instead of getting q-rich at the 3 they should have a singed a traditional 4 to help bass.

rabueed
11-21-2010, 04:15 AM
Everyone saying that Barnes sucks is being ignorant. If they had him on their team, they wouldn't be saying that. I did the same thing, so I know where you guys are coming from.

That said, I feel Barnes is way better off the bench than starting. He knows how to take advantage of less talented players, so going up against the opponent's bench is something he thrives at. So him being on Orlando or going to the Bulls wouldn't have been a good move for those two teams. Pierce and Lebron and the such, I feel, would destroy Barnes. Which is why we have Artest.

Barnes >>>QRich.

since the only stat I need is 3 PT % when it comes to QRich, here it is. Barnes - 46.7%, QRich - 27.7%. And if you want to check the other stats, be my guest. Barnes is AVG more points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals in slightly less playing time than QRich. Not to mention the chemistry Barnes has with our bench, as well as his hustle and energy.

To respond to the purpose of this thread, though, Barnes needs to just shut up and play. He wants to talk trash on the court, go ahead. Don't take it to the media. Don't be stupid.

Law25
11-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Everyone saying that Barnes sucks is being ignorant. If they had him on their team, they wouldn't be saying that. I did the same thing, so I know where you guys are coming from.

That said, I feel Barnes is way better off the bench than starting. He knows how to take advantage of less talented players, so going up against the opponent's bench is something he thrives at. So him being on Orlando or going to the Bulls wouldn't have been a good move for those two teams. Pierce and Lebron and the such, I feel, would destroy Barnes. Which is why we have Artest.

Barnes >>>QRich.

since the only stat I need is 3 PT % when it comes to QRich, here it is. Barnes - 46.7%, QRich - 27.7%. And if you want to check the other stats, be my guest. Barnes is AVG more points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals in slightly less playing time than QRich. Not to mention the chemistry Barnes has with our bench, as well as his hustle and energy.

To respond to the purpose of this thread, though, Barnes needs to just shut up and play. He wants to talk trash on the court, go ahead. Don't take it to the media. Don't be stupid.

This.

Raph12
11-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Barnes >>>QRich.

He's playing out of his mind right now, he'll come back down to earth by the end of the season... He was a great pickup for LA and I'm disappointed we didn't retain him. His arguement is invalid though, he can't stop Lebron or Wade, he couldn't even stop Pierce. His physicality, toughness, intensity and hustle is what I was constantly raving about, not his defense, I'd love to have him back, but if I had a choice, I'd want a lockdown defender instead.

MrFastBreak
11-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Raph, you say he's not a good lockdown defender or shooter, but what are you basing it on?

Raph12
11-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Raph, you say he's not a good lockdown defender or shooter, but what are you basing it on?

Pierce took a crap all over him and his defense in the ECFs and his shooting percentages throughout his career. His numbers are well above his career-bests per36mins, I doubt he keeps it up for a full season.

I saw him guard guys like Lebron, Melo, Durant, Wade, Kobe, etc they all put up big numbers against him but he was relentless regardless. I love his hustle, intensity, toughness and never back-down-attitude, but he's still not a lockdown defender by any means, give me Tony Allen on Lebron over Barnes any day of the week.

The Jokemaker
11-22-2010, 03:29 AM
From what I'd seen Barnes had been a good player on the Magic. Anytime you get rid of a guy like that it will hurt your team. Especially if this player is a hustler which you can never have too much of.

Raph12
11-22-2010, 03:32 AM
From what I'd seen Barnes had been a good player on the Magic. Anytime you get rid of a guy like that it will hurt your team. Especially if this player is a hustler which you can never have too much of.

Hurt them so badly they're 1st in the East despite all of their early struggles...

JordansBulls
11-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Some nights this guy is on and other nights he is off.

Jenceman
11-24-2010, 05:42 AM
He's been outstanding for the Lakers.

D1JM
11-24-2010, 05:51 AM
He's been outstanding for the Lakers.

x2 i hopehe gets paid after this year

falas105asfdsaj
11-24-2010, 06:59 AM
welcome to: *****************************

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,****, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

jordan shoes $32

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

Sandal $32

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

BarnesWillKillU
11-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Im a huge magic fan and i was really upset we let Barnes go and paid Q rich and Chris D all that money. Everyone knows in the end... Matt Barnes will kill you

ignorance=bliss
11-24-2010, 09:45 AM

LOL thats how your presenting your argument, with Q Rich!? Come on seriously. Dude is garbage. You were better with Barnes, stop hating.

ignorance=bliss
11-24-2010, 09:47 AM

LOL get mad, but he makes a point. Rashard Lewis is what, the 3rd highest paid player in the NBA right now...ouch.

serrano275
11-24-2010, 10:42 AM
WOW, I wish I can respond to all these posts.

1. Barnes is good, but not worth the money he wanted for us.

2. If any one has the right to say we were better with him it is Turk who was the go to guy when we lost to the Lakers in the Finals.

3. Q-Rich was a pick up of depth because plans seem to be in place to get a great SF.

4. our BIGGEST mistake in the last 5 years was paying Lewis top dollar, then moving him to PF, then trying to move him back to SF. Did I mention paying him top dollar. Some one mentioned earlier on how we "decided" to keep shard instead of Barnes. Do you want a trade? You give me a 2nd round draft pick and I'll give you an 18 million dollar headache who is avareging 11.6 PPG. No one wants his contract. Carter isn't as big a problem because after this year he is done. He can come back making a lot ess then what he makes now. But I doubt they will give him more then 4 mil a year to be here.

5. Q Rich may not be doing as well as Barnes right now. But the only diffrence I have seen is that Barnes has more attitude.

6. I like how people are saying we miss him because he make us better. James would of ******* all over him in that miami game and we would still be 9-34 because he doesn't give us the offense we need like Turk gave us 2 years earlier. I'll go as far as to say he might of helped us win one of those 4 losses. But in an 82 game saeson, being 9-4 or 10-3 just doesn't bother me right now.

7. "LOL thats how your presenting your argument, with Q Rich!? Come on seriously. Dude is garbage. You were better with Barnes, stop hating. " (by: inorance=bliss).
If you want to compare all of last year to this year then so far we are a half a game behind the Celtics. So we are the 2nd best team in the East. Sounds to me like we are just fine with or with out him. By the way, I laughed at this comment because it matched you name so well.

8. We are struggling with our shooting right now......How is Barnes going to help us there?.......?

9. If this season has shown me anything, it has shown me that the West is still better then the East in overall basketball. congrats on Barnes being a back up in LA. But the only thing we are crying about here in Orlando is the cash we are just dumping on a average forward who is being out played by Bass and Anderson IMO.

I had a lot of respect for Barnes. Loved his attitude, and had he gone to 28 other teams I would of like to see him win. But he went to the one place where I felt He particularly should not of gone. After all that attitude and fighting and in your face he did to Kobe. He now follows him around like a lap dog. I have nothing against the lakers. I hate Gasol but I think Kobe is the best in the game today. Artest is a monster and Odom and Fisher put the pieces in place. I just lost a lot of respect for Barnes because I could never get up in a dudes face everytime I faced him like he did, then beg him to get me a job. That just seems fake. If it is all an act then I guess he fits well living close to hollywood.

Rentzias
11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
This is like the drummer for Nine Inch Nails leaving and saying how they're worse off without him.

xbrackattackx
11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I think barnes is better on the Lakers.

Raph12
11-24-2010, 01:14 PM
I think barnes is better on the Lakers.

This...

He's not a starter, his hustle, intensity, drive and spark is better suited off the bench. We need a solid starter who can't knock down shots and play lockdown defense, a Battier-type guy.