PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant Rips NBA Owners: "Look in the mirror"

ko8e24
11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/kobe_bryant_rips_nba_owners_look_in_the_mirror/3613736

With the NBA getting close to negotiations for their Collective Bargaining Agreement, reigning Finals MVP, Kobe Bryant, has been relatively silent on the situation….until now that is. On Sunday night while speaking to CBSSports‘ Ken Berger, “The Black Mamba” told Berger what he truly thought about the league’s owners.

“I think the owners need to look in the mirror,” Bryant told CBSSports.com when asked about the $750 million to $800 million reduction in player salaries being sought by the owners. “They need to make the right judgment themselves and stop trying to force us players to be the ones to make adjustments. They’ve got to look in the mirror and decide what they want to do with the sport, and we as employees will show up and do what we’ve got to do….”

“The onus is not on us,” Bryant said. “People are trying to put that responsibility on us. It’s not our responsibility. It’s the owners’ job. This is what they do.”

As one of the biggest names in the NBA, Kobe is standing up for his fellow players (and with good reason). Bryant is currently the highest paid player in the league and in the 2013-14 season, the final year of his current deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, he’ll join Michael Jordan as one of the only two players to ever earn $30 million in a single season from their NBA salaries.

Tony_Starks
11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Thats pretty dope that he wasn't afraid to hold his tongue, being a superstar and all.

He's 100% right though what the owners are trying to pull is outrageous. They keep talking about these losses they are taking and projecting but in the same breath they talk about last year setting positive revenue records and all that. Something doesn't add up......

albertc86
11-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Kobe has a point but athletes are overpaid. These guys make outrageous salaries playing a game.

cambovenzi
11-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Kobe has a point but athletes are overpaid. These guys make outrageous salaries playing a game.

capitalism.
Millions of people pay to see them play.

bigsams50
11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
He Speaks The Truth

Lakerfrk
11-16-2010, 08:54 PM

In what way do you figure that they are overpaid? If people are paying to watch them play this game, then they are getting paid what the market allows them to be paid, via supply and demand.

I see in no way that they are overpaid. Kobe is in the right here, and as a player, of course he would say this.. I would expect owners like Mark Cuban, Jerry Buss, Paul Allen, and JayZ to say the same things on the opposite side.

ManRam
11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Kobe always says the right thing, while at the same time not being a pushover (if that makes sense).

Glad he spoke his mind in a very upfront and frank way...and wasn't politically correct this time.

Both lockouts, the NBA and NFL, will be more of the owners fault than the players...IMO.

Kevj77
11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Kobe has a point but athletes are overpaid. These guys make outrageous salaries playing a game.IF they are overpaid then who gets the money they give up? The owners and it's not like these billionairs will give it back to the fans in the form of cheaper tickets.

Lakersfan2483
11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Thats pretty dope that he wasn't afraid to hold his tongue, being a superstar and all.

He's 100% right though what the owners are trying to pull is outrageous. They keep talking about these losses they are taking and projecting but in the same breath they talk about last year setting positive revenue records and all that. Something doesn't add up......

:clap:

HT9Canada
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM

they get paid too much but at least they play a sport. the owners sit there watching and counting their cash. not saying being an owner is easier but they make more by doing less then athletes

_KB24_
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
He's right about the onus not being on the players, which is why I don't think the Player's Association will budge at all. The owner's will have to compromise and it scares me because I think that it might get ugly.

KnicksorBust
11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Athletes may make exorbinant salaries but the owners wouldn't be willing to pay them if they weren't also still raking in the cash. The real shock to me was the fact that we still saw ridiculously overpaid contracts being handed out this summer.

dtmagnet
11-16-2010, 09:20 PM
they get paid too much but at least they play a sport. the owners sit there watching and counting their cash. not saying being an owner is easier but they make more by doing less then athletes

That's BS, the owners are risking their own money by investing in a team.

CityofChaos
11-16-2010, 09:44 PM
In what way do you figure that they are overpaid? If people are paying to watch them play this game, then they are getting paid what the market allows them to be paid, via supply and demand.

I see in no way that they are overpaid. Kobe is in the right here, and as a player, of course he would say this.. I would expect owners like Mark Cuban, Jerry Buss, Paul Allen, and JayZ to say the same things on the opposite side.

Athletes are overpaid in general. The fact that they get paid millions to play a sport is corrupt when you think about people who actually contribute to society like scientists get paid less.

Isn't it enough that they get idolized by fans as if they were Gods (which is a sin), and can still make money even if they are injured or play just 15-20 minutes a game? A guy like Michael Redd is making $18 million a year for doing nothing. Joe Johnson is making a $100 million altogether and he is not even close to being the best player in the NBA.

Not to mention that most athletes still get cheddar from endorsements such as Kobe, who like the article stated, is the highest paid athlete in the league.

Yeah its nice to see Kobe speak his mind, but his view on the situation will always be a biased opinion.

heyman321
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
capitalism.

Um...that's the poitn of the salary cuts. Not millions of people are watching now, cause eveyrone is tight on cash.

heyman321
11-16-2010, 09:59 PM

Owners don't just "own" an NBA team dude. These are owners are billionaires that have jobs on the side. You think Mark Cuban just owns the Mavericks and does nothing else? You think Prokhorov just had millions from doing nothing to own the Nets and he does nothing now except "own" the Nets?

Ebbs
11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't be scared to speak my mind either if I knew I better known then entire franchises.

HoopsDrive
11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Athletes are overpaid in general. The fact that they get paid millions to play a sport is corrupt when you think about people who actually contribute to society like scientists get paid less.

Isn't it enough that they get idolized by fans as if they were Gods (which is a sin), and can still make money even if they are injured or play just 15-20 minutes a game? A guy like Michael Redd is making $18 million a year for doing nothing. Joe Johnson is making a $100 million altogether and he is not even close to being the best player in the NBA.

Not to mention that most athletes still get cheddar from endorsements such as Kobe, who like the article stated, is the highest paid athlete in the league.

Yeah its nice to see Kobe speak his mind, but his view on the situation will always be a biased opinion.

Overpaid huh? What would be the correct rate then? I'm curious because all I hear from people who back this claim is that they're playing a sport and thus they're overpaid. These athletes bring $ to the franchise they play for and are a form of investment. Yao Ming's salary should be multiplied exponentially due to the revenue he generates to the Rockets from ads, jersey sales, sponsorship deals and the obviously immense Chinese market. Same goes for Kobe and LBJ. The bottomline is, these guys are money making machines and owners were willing to splash the dough to acquire these "assets" for lack of a better word. Market and demand, as someone else has already posted, simple concept.

And lol @ the bolded part.

Sandman
11-16-2010, 10:30 PM
capitalism.

I agree.

But at the same time, guaranteed contracts in the NBA cause more problems than they do in MLB.

Its a situation where the NBA's salary cap rules create a very closed market, very un-capitalism like. The existence of a max salary lets the league's best players go under-paid. The leagues salary cap rules cause players to get traded just because the numbers fit. It's to the point where a garbage player (let's use TMac 2010) becomes an enormous asset in the last year of his deal.

MJ inked a 30+ mil a year deal under a free market, Kobe gets that in the 12-13 season after, what, 17 straight seasons of systematic max raises? There were reports that LeBron could have been worth between 45-50 mil on an open market. At one point, the media began reporting how much the city of Cleveland, not just the Cavs, would lose if the Cavs lost Lebron.

Supply and demand: with underpaid players and excess budget, players get overpaid.

I'm not talking about VC, KG or even Arenas or Yao. It's clear why these guys got the contracts they were offered, they were top players. I'm talking about the AK47s, the Michael Redds and the Rashard Lewis's that got paid because teams were left with no options. I'm not trying to say that these guys are scrubs, but you would be hard pressed to make an argument that any one of them were a top 10 player at any point in their careers and they've been paid as such for 2+ seasons.

They need to loosen the salary cap, but still preserve player movement through more elaborate restricted free agency and possibly franchise tags ala the NFL.

imagesrdecievin
11-16-2010, 10:31 PM
The other part that owners always leave out - is that the yearly revenue isn't where the real money is made. Owning an NBA franchise is like owning real estate. Over time the value goes up - in a big way. Even the guys who are losing money get to write off the losses against their 'real businesses'. Then when they decide to sell their franchise is when they really cash in.

This is just another example of a company trying to use the poor economy as an excuse to cut labor's wages.

koreancabbage
11-16-2010, 10:32 PM
why don't they set up a pay scale? and pay them less in the future instead of giving glorified bench players $10 million to sit there most of the time b/c of one good season.

each player should actually have incentives on the contract where if they score this amount of points, rebounds, assists etc, and shoot above this avg, they get paid this much. it'll be more realistive to the point of not overpaying bench players to do nothing.

iono just an idea.

kblo247
11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Kobe was actually asked the question by John Ireland according to his radio show because he wanted the perspective of a NBA Player and team owner. Kobe is just that a NBA player, and a majority owner of a Italian Basketball League team. That was the actual context of the interview for those wondering.

The fact is no one held a gun to the head of the Knicks, Sixers, Clippers, Hawks, or Magic when they stupidly overpaid for Brand, Curry, Davis, Joe, and Lewis. No one held a gun to teams heads who gave Brian Cardinal and Tim Thomas the full MLE. The owners made the commitment and chose to sign those guys to those deals based on their own free will so they should be expected to keep their contracts just like people are expected to honor their auto loans and mortgages.

On a side note, anyone who uses they are overpaid card, get over it. They make what they deserve in the case of the stars because they generate constant revenue for the economy, the owners, and the league as a whole. People pay to see them play 82 games, miss time with their families, and lose out on their privacy. Using Kobe for example, he was the most profitable Laker for Buss in team history back in 05-06 when he was with Smush and Kwame. He has made Buss money, hand over fist for years and not even got an fair percentage of it back when you look at his actual salary compared to his peers for a while in his career. Jeanie Buss said it best, when she said he earned every damn penny of that extension he got from a basketball and business perspective. No matter how you slice it, you should get rewarded monetarily for what you bring in in the case of guys like Kobe, Lebron, etc.

Also it is stupid to ask guys who play 4 games in 5 nights, have no bye weeks, have far smaller rosters, and are expected to do a set amount of NBA Cares hours on top of that to even consider instituting non-guaranteed deals.

godolphins
11-17-2010, 12:23 AM
:clap:

Raph12
11-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Seeming as how the fans don't pay to watch Mark Cuban play, I think they should just shutup and pay.

SteveNash
11-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Um...that's the poitn of the salary cuts. Not millions of people are watching now, cause eveyrone is tight on cash.

Hey guess what? The NBA generated more money last season than any other season in NBA history. Greatly outperforming all the gloom and doom Stern was talking about.

AND the CBA already has a number of clauses put into place to "save" owners if the NBA really started to tank.

Bruno
11-17-2010, 02:57 AM

What they get paid is only a fraction of the money they make their owners, and the NBA as a league. Considering us fans spend money on tickets and merchandise because of our favorite players, it would be absurd for them to take pay cuts if the result were more money for the owners and the league. If the players take a cut, everybody takes a cut; including owners, management, refs, and everyone else affiliated with the NBA.

When you also consider all the money these players generate from companies who want to advertise their product though the NBA, they are more than entitled to what they earn.

I'm with the players on this one.

Bruno
11-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Kobe was actually asked the question by John Ireland according to his radio show because he wanted the perspective of a NBA Player and team owner. Kobe is just that a NBA player, and a majority owner of a Italian Basketball League team. That was the actual context of the interview for those wondering.

The fact is no one held a gun to the head of the Knicks, Sixers, Clippers, Hawks, or Magic when they stupidly overpaid for Brand, Curry, Davis, Joe, and Lewis. No one held a gun to teams heads who gave Brian Cardinal and Tim Thomas the full MLE. The owners made the commitment and chose to sign those guys to those deals based on their own free will so they should be expected to keep their contracts just like people are expected to honor their auto loans and mortgages.

On a side note, anyone who uses they are overpaid card, get over it. They make what they deserve in the case of the stars because they generate constant revenue for the economy, the owners, and the league as a whole. People pay to see them play 82 games, miss time with their families, and lose out on their privacy. Using Kobe for example, he was the most profitable Laker for Buss in team history back in 05-06 when he was with Smush and Kwame. He has made Buss money, hand over fist for years and not even got an fair percentage of it back when you look at his actual salary compared to his peers for a while in his career. Jeanie Buss said it best, when she said he earned every damn penny of that extension he got from a basketball and business perspective. No matter how you slice it, you should get rewarded monetarily for what you bring in in the case of guys like Kobe, Lebron, etc.

Also it is stupid to ask guys who play 4 games in 5 nights, have no bye weeks, have far smaller rosters, and are expected to do a set amount of NBA Cares hours on top of that to even consider instituting non-guaranteed deals.

Aman Kblo. :clap:

iggypop123
11-17-2010, 04:07 AM
millionaires arguing with billionaires. fans wont be happy at the end of the day

kblo247
11-17-2010, 04:20 AM
millionaires arguing with billionaires. fans wont be happy at the end of the day

Tell them to suck it up as most double digit thousand-aires (workers) tend to argue with triple digit thousand-aires (bosses) regularly in society.

AddiX
11-17-2010, 04:28 AM
WHat truth does he speak?

The league is losing money, that's a fact. A lot of your teams are not pulling in a profit and are close to going under.

A lot of teams are slaves to big contracts of players who don't earn them and therefore the entire NBA product suffers. Any fan who has players on there teams who are over-paid and almost not trade-able should understand that.

And the whole arguement about they shouldn't sign top players is weak. You need big named players to bring in fans or your franchise doesn't even stand a chance. NBA is the only sport where during the regular season the game is completely pointless until the 4th quarter most of the time.

No one is trying during during the first half unless its some kind of rivalry. And that's what happens when guys are getting 5-6 yr super contracts fully guaranteed.

Sly Guy
11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
I think this is one of the few disputes in which I agree with the players, the NBA right now is very profitable, why should there be a reduction in salaries?

obcha22
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM

It going to them or to the owners. If the players are paid less the owners will pay themselves more. They will find other reasons to raise ticket prices, merchandise prizes network prices and etc. So the end result will still be out of our pockets.
The owners have the power already. If they really wanted to, they could have an agreement not to pay players more than "X" amount. If no one goes against that, then the market is set.
I think that players are selfish babies who also make way too much money for playing a game with a ball. No one deserves to make that much money for a game...
Unless they are the reason that people go to the games, and the ones putting in the work and have the skills needed to play at that level.
So when push comes to shove, do you want the guy sitting in the office getting paid exponentially more than the employees and only giving them a small percentage of their value? Or do you want the guys who are building and selling the business to get a bigger percentage?
I go with the players all the way

tbone2171
11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
This guy needs to shut his mouth..The highest paid player in the league shouldn't be biting the hand that feeds.

sp1derm00
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
This guy needs to shut his mouth..The highest paid player in the league shouldn't be biting the hand that feeds.

Kobe and other superstars in the league have so much pull when it comes to money. They are the reasons fans tune in and pay for tickets.

I'm absolutely positive that if were "all about the money" and the owners decided to halve their salaries or something, Kobe, Bron, & Wade would be able to just bail out and go overseas where they're willing to pay them equivalent to what they're making now.

RaiderLakersA's
11-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Right, but the fans are the true "hands that feed" this beast, if you think about it. Moreso, than the owners. And at last check, the owners are getting fed quite well, given the aforementioned revenue figures from last year -- a recession year at that!

ackar
11-17-2010, 03:39 PM
That maybe true but the owners are business men and if the players are overpaid which they are to a certain extent the owners are raking in record profits trust me the owners a are not in it for the love of the game.

The owners are their own worst enemy giving out contracts to one year wonders, unproven rookies, has beens, never will bes and not to those who truly earn it. If I was a player and someone offered me x amount of dollars I am taking and no I am not going to renegotiate going all the way to the bank.

You have to understand that the owner make revenue in so many different ways from being owners of a pro sports teams. Let alone all the comps they get and so do the players.

ackar
11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
It going to them or to the owners. If the players are paid less the owners will pay themselves more. They will find other reasons to raise ticket prices, merchandise prizes network prices and etc. So the end result will still be out of our pockets.
The owners have the power already. If they really wanted to, they could have an agreement not to pay players more than "X" amount. If no one goes against that, then the market is set.
I think that players are selfish babies who also make way too much money for playing a game with a ball. No one deserves to make that much money for a game...
Unless they are the reason that people go to the games, and the ones putting in the work and have the skills needed to play at that level.
So when push comes to shove, do you want the guy sitting in the office getting paid exponentially more than the employees and only giving them a small percentage of their value? Or do you want the guys who are building and selling the business to get a bigger percentage?
I go with the players all the way
AGREED

Heck the owners are the same bunch of fat cats that drove the economy into the gutter.

kblo247
11-17-2010, 03:54 PM

For years he wasn't despite being the best draw in the NBA on a global scale because of the fact he came into the league a year after KG. The CBA and 99 lockout allowed Buss to underpay him for a good part of his career by Jerry's own admission in relation to the profit he has always brought the team. The fact is Kobe and players like him is the hand that feeds Buss, the owners, and Stern as well. Plus do you really think players get a true fair shake when they can't even get a percentage from the merchandise that teams sell with their likenesses on them or the commercials, films, dvds, shows, and ads that the NBA makes with their faces?

bal_ravens
11-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Players take pay cuts, owners donate money, lower ticket prices and we are all happy!

Bruno
11-17-2010, 05:30 PM

You've got it backwards.

Bruno
11-17-2010, 05:32 PM
WHat truth does he speak?

The league is losing money, that's a fact. A lot of your teams are not pulling in a profit and are close to going under.

A lot of teams are slaves to big contracts of players who don't earn them and therefore the entire NBA product suffers. Any fan who has players on there teams who are over-paid and almost not trade-able should understand that.

Who offers those absurd, Joe Johnsonesque contracts in the first place? It's the owners fault for trying to out bid each other. They offer those contracts, nobody forces them to do that.

tangent12
11-17-2010, 05:57 PM
He does have a point but then again these athletes are getting paid millions just to throw a damn ball inside a hole. I understand this is the kind of money that moves inside the entertainment business but when you think about it, it is pretty ridiculous.

Kevj77
11-17-2010, 06:08 PM
This guy needs to shut his mouth..The highest paid player in the league shouldn't be biting the hand that feeds.The Lakers turn a profit every season. The majority of NBA owners want Dr. Buss to contribute a lot more of his money to bad owners by increasing profit sharing. Put a damn winner on the court and they could turn a profit without digging in another persons pocket. Stop overpaying and outbidding eachother for average players and maybe salaries wouldn't be out of control. Only offer max contracts to legit superstars. Can you blame anyone for accepting an offer that is way more then they deserve. Blame the person making the offer not the guy that takes the money.

SunsFanIam
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM
What they get paid is only a fraction of the money they make their owners, and the NBA as a league. Considering us fans spend money on tickets and merchandise because of our favorite players, it would be absurd for them to take pay cuts if the result were more money for the owners and the league. If the players take a cut, everybody takes a cut; including owners, management, refs, and everyone else affiliated with the NBA.

When you also consider all the money these players generate from companies who want to advertise their product though the NBA, they are more than entitled to what they earn.

I'm with the players on this one.

Okay I am not sure everyone get to see the whole picture here. The owners take the biggest of hits. They have to pay players, front office, coaching staff, arena's, people to put the floors together for each game, ect ect. When you talk about merchandise (and I could be wrong on this) but I was told that that money is actually split between players and NBA itself. NOT THE OWNERS.

I think the biggest rip off is how much the nba itself it taking. The nba had its best profitable season and yet the owners actually dont see a real profit til they sell their team. Most of these guys are doing it just to say they own a team. It is not really a money making machine for these guys. I think the players are over paid and the owners are forced to pay it because they have to sell tickets, or lose more money.

Also does anyone realize that Stern is getting paid 25 million a year??????? No commisioner in any other sport makes that much! Nfl is the highest rated/highest revenue sport in america and their commisioner isnt making even close to that. The NBA itself needs to dip into their pockets and help these owners not the players.

Sorry for the bad spelling.

kblo247
11-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Okay I am not sure everyone get to see the whole picture here. The owners take the biggest of hits. They have to pay players, front office, coaching staff, arena's, people to put the floors together for each game, ect ect. When you talk about merchandise (and I could be wrong on this) but I was told that that money is actually split between players and NBA itself. NOT THE OWNERS.

I think the biggest rip off is how much the nba itself it taking. The nba had its best profitable season and yet the owners actually dont see a real profit til they sell their team. Most of these guys are doing it just to say they own a team. It is not really a money making machine for these guys. I think the players are over paid and the owners are forced to pay it because they have to sell tickets, or lose more money.

Also does anyone realize that Stern is getting paid 25 million a year??????? No commisioner in any other sport makes that much! Nfl is the highest rated/highest revenue sport in america and their commisioner isnt making even close to that. The NBA itself needs to dip into their pockets and help these owners not the players.

You do have a point about the owners not really getting all the profits because of the NBA and Stern himself, but they aren't alone.

The players also do not get any percentages of their own merchandising or ads featured with them in it unless they have endorsement deals. The NBA does, which is also a contention of the players when there is talk of cutting their salaries.

The fact is that both parties get shafted in the sense that they share a cut after the NBA and Stern have took theirs first.

And to the Knick fan that is whining/*****ing about bad deals blame your own inept management for being stupid the past decade and stocking up a payroll that makes other teams look frugal for the sake of doing it.

Bruno
11-17-2010, 07:24 PM

That's absurd. Way too much money for a guy who most fans/players/managment aren't even happy with.

Stern claims the league is losing money.

I get what you're saying in terms of the owners not making big money, on an annual basis. But these guys are investors, they know that's not really how it works. Look at Paul Allen for example. He bought the Portland Trail-Blazers in 1988 for 72 million dollars; as of 2008 the franchise was valued at 308 million. No, Allen isn't making huge money off the franchise on a yearly basis, but bottom line is he could cash out right now, sell the team and have come up on 220+ million dollars on a 22 year investment. If these owner want to cash out, and make big money, they can. Most choose not to.

If you scroll through all the franchise on the below web-sight- nearly all of them have gone up substantially in value since being purchased by their current owner. If the owners want to make money all they gotta do is sell. The Atlanta Hawks franchise value went from 208 million in 2004 to 306 million in 2008, ect.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Portland-Trail-Blazers_324837.html

Bruno
11-17-2010, 07:28 PM
^ The Golden State Warriors just sold for a league record $450 million dollars if I'm not mistaken. Even in the wake of the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression, in the loom of an NBA lockout, some rich guy/group of people were willing to spend nearly a half billion dollars on a team that isn't even a perennial play-off contender.

Their previous owner Christopher Cohen bought the franchise for $119 million in 1995. That's a big come-up.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Golden-State-Warriors_324799.html

Bruno
11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Other great examples of franchises sky-rocketing in value from the price of their previous purchase:

Detroit Pistons: Purchased in 1974 by William Davidson for 8 million dollars. As of 2008, Forbes estimated that the Pistons were worth 480 million dollars.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Detroit-Pistons_320844.html

Chicago Bulls: Purchased in 1985 by Jerry Reinsdorf for 16 million dollars. As of 2008, Forbes estimated that the Bulls were worth 504 million dollars. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Chicago-Bulls_321267.html

Los Angeles Lakers: Purchased in 1979 by Jerry Buss for 20 million dollars. As of 2008 Forbes estimated that the Lakers were worth 584 million dollars.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Los-Angeles-Lakers_320250.html

New York Knicks: Purchased in 1997 by Cablevision Systems for 300 million dollars. As of 2008 Forbes estimated that the Knicks were worth a league leading 613 million dollars.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_New-York-Knicks_328815.html

I just have a hard time sympathizing with people or corporations who can cash out and come up on hundreds of millions of dollars. But that's just me.

Allstar21
11-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Cutting players salaries will in no way wat-so-ever lower ticket or merchandise prices
It will only make the profits of the owners go up. Owners will still charge as much as they possibly can for tickets as long as the consumer is willing to pay for them...even if players played the game for free

WolvesJagsOs
11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Now, im just wondering, i dont know much about this situation, but do you guys think there will really be a lockout next year? I really hope not, i would die.

Bruno
11-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Now, im just wondering, i dont know much about this situation, but do you guys think there will really be a lockout next year? I really hope not, i would die.

It's looking like a serious possibility. We might see another 1999 half season. IMO, these guys loose too much money to shut down the league for an entire season, despite their larger than life egos. I'm hoping the reality of losing fan revenue/advertisement deals/t.v. contracts for 82 games, for 30+ teams will be enough to scare these fat cats into working out a fair deal.

It's easy to say the players should stand pat and allow the lock-out to happen, but that's a hard deal if you're a player who's prime years are dwindling (kobe). You wana play now, while you still can.

WolvesJagsOs
11-17-2010, 08:00 PM
^yeah, i hope something happens. It would suck to lose basketball.