PDA

View Full Version : UConn Women - Streak stops at 90

metsfaninSTL
11-15-2010, 10:51 PM
saw that they won last night 79 in a row now.

redsox0717
11-15-2010, 11:00 PM
By 80 points no less. :nod:

Should be another perfect season.

metsbulls1025
11-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Nice that we got to 80, but god was that nerve wrecking. That was one of the best womens games I have ever watched.

metsfaninSTL
11-16-2010, 10:09 PM
glad they got to 80. tough game tonight. i hope they can get to 100. that would be hard. if they dont get that, i hope they at least beat the mens record

Buckwheat
11-17-2010, 12:32 AM
I've never hated a team as much as I hate this one :laugh2:

metsfaninSTL
12-10-2010, 01:46 PM
87. 1 away from tying UCLA mens

metsbulls1025
12-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Isn't there next game against Ohio State and they are ranked number 2? I am a huge UCONN fan so this is great for me and especially since both programs are doing well at the same time again.

Wake's Fastball
12-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Women's college basketball outside of UConn and a select few superstars is a joke. On the sportscenter ticker this morning I saw that West Virginia, who's ranked #9 in the women's polls, won by a score of 39-34 yesterday. Seriously?

metsfaninSTL
12-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Isn't there next game against Ohio State and they are ranked number 2? I am a huge UCONN fan so this is great for me and especially since both programs are doing well at the same time again.

they just bare ly beat #2 earlier this season against Baylor. it will be a tough game.

metsfaninSTL
12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Women's college basketball outside of UConn and a select few superstars is a joke. On the sportscenter ticker this morning I saw that West Virginia, who's ranked #9 in the women's polls, won by a score of 39-34 yesterday. Seriously?

womens basketball is totally different than mens. i dont think its a joke, just different style

ElMarroAfamado
12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Womens Basketball is a joke. Its a disgrace that these women are going to get such a record where they play a sport where they make the ball smaller and the hoop bigger just to accommodate their lack of skill..
and PLEASE someone find a video of what Geno Auriemma said today after they tied the Record....people are mad because its a disgrace that a program with such a rich tradition and coach to go along is going to be taken off the record books because of this..its like The Celtics winning 88 in a row against Middle school basketball teams

ElMarroAfamado
12-20-2010, 12:18 AM
ima be watching Tuesday just in hopes they lose but its unlikely
this should not be celebrated

metsfaninSTL
12-20-2010, 12:34 AM
whether womens basketball is a joke or not it is still 88 games in a row. it doesnt happen much.

metsbulls1025
12-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Womens basketball is not a joke. So much has to go right for things like this to happen and you can not take this away from them . People who think this is a joke are jokes and really need to get over themselves.

MickeyMgl
12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
womens basketball is totally different than mens. i dont think its a joke, just different style

Different style, different rules, smaller ball, much weaker level of competition. What's the comparison to UCLA? It's silly.

The Huskies already have the only record that's relevant. The UCLA record is not broken until a Division I men's team breaks it. Dimaggio's hitting streak isn't broken until a major league baseball player breaks it. Not a minor league player, not a player in Japan, not a player in South America, or anywhere else.

metsbulls1025
12-21-2010, 08:05 PM
They are going for the record right now on ESPN 2.

Driven
12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Different style, different rules, smaller ball, much weaker level of competition. What's the comparison to UCLA? It's silly.

The Huskies already have the only record that's relevant. The UCLA record is not broken until a Division I men's team breaks it. Dimaggio's hitting streak isn't broken until a major league baseball player breaks it. Not a minor league player, not a player in Japan, not a player in South America, or anywhere else.
I don't know what the style, basketball size, etc. have to do with this record. The playing level is still even.

As for the whole "no competition" excuse, what is this based on? Most of the people knocking this record will admit that they don't watch women's basketball. So what is this lack of competition concept based on? The lack of knowledge we have? Was that the excuse when the Men's team won this many games?

Look, I don't really care about the record. I don't care if people care about it either. It's not going to be mainstream because it doesn't sell. But that doesn't mean the record isn't legit.

metsfaninSTL
12-21-2010, 11:47 PM
i dont care what people think. the record is amazing.

Danielg342
12-22-2010, 12:56 AM
i dont care what people think. the record is amazing.

Agreed. It's not often someone wins 89 straight games in anything, let alone women's basketball. Congrats to the UConn women, they deserve it.

Having said that, Geno Auriemma is right. People are only caring about this record because of its connection with the men's record; and I'd bet my bottom loonie that when the UConn streak is finally snapped and rests at 102 games or something, no one will care again. Once a men's team comes close to John Wooden's mark, Auriemma's will be nothing but a footnote. "They're a win away from Wooden...oh by the way, the overall basketball record is..."

Bottom line is, we shouldn't be celebrating this just because it's besting a men's record. We should be celebrating it because it's a great achievement- period.

aabar4518
12-22-2010, 01:29 AM
You may knock women's basketball if you want, but let's be honest. 89 wins in a row is AMAZING if you're playing a game of tag, let alone collegiate basketball. Okay, so it may not be as impressive as UCLA's streak, but in reality, it's apples and oranges.

I'm a team manager for the UConn WBB team, and I can tell you that I've NEVER seen a team (men's, women's, football, soccer, little league, chess, etc etc etc) work harder day-in, day-out than these girls.

I really don't understand all this hate...At all.

metsbulls1025
12-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Obama called Geno after the game.

NYYankees12
12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't know what the style, basketball size, etc. have to do with this record. The playing level is still even.

As for the whole "no competition" excuse, what is this based on? Most of the people knocking this record will admit that they don't watch women's basketball. So what is this lack of competition concept based on? The lack of knowledge we have? Was that the excuse when the Men's team won this many games?

Look, I don't really care about the record. I don't care if people care about it either. It's not going to be mainstream because it doesn't sell. But that doesn't mean the record isn't legit.

The playing level might be even but the gaps in Womens basketball are ridiculous. On your typical year you have UConn and Lady Vols, and then about 3 notches down you have the rest of the country. There is nothing special. Just look at last night in mens bball. K-State and Tennessee both got knocked off by unranked teams. UConn goes out and beats top 5 teams by 50. Are they good? Sure but at the same time the rest of the country sucks donkey balls. The only competition UConn gets is in practice. Comparing womens basketball to mens is like comparing ice cream to horse manure.

ManRam
12-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I am not inclined to discredit a single thing they've done. Sure, the level of competition across all division 1 women's teams might not equate what happens in the men's game, but they've played just about every single team during that span, and regardless of competition; to go that long without slipping up, and usually winning by double digits is nothing short of amazing. Major props to them. It's not like they dodge anything. This season, they play the 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 8th, 10th, 14th, 15th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th best teams in NCAAW. That's not too shabby. Last year they played 8 games versus top 10 teams...in the regular season ALONE. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more parody in the women's game now than there was back when UCLA had their streak.

It's hard to do it in any sport...and I am one who doesn't like all the insentient bashing.

its still early
12-22-2010, 03:07 PM
The playing level might be even but the gaps in Womens basketball are ridiculous. On your typical year you have UConn and Lady Vols, and then about 3 notches down you have the rest of the country. There is nothing special. Just look at last night in mens bball. K-State and Tennessee both got knocked off by unranked teams. UConn goes out and beats top 5 teams by 50. Are they good? Sure but at the same time the rest of the country sucks donkey balls. The only competition UConn gets is in practice. Comparing womens basketball to mens is like comparing ice cream to horse manure.

this. in my opinion they didn't break any records with that win. they simply continued to shatter whatever the previous record for consecutive wins in women's college basketball was.

aabar4518
12-22-2010, 04:10 PM

I'm not going to argue that the depth of talents in women's basketball is not the same as in men's. There's no question about that. However, to argue that only UConn and Tennessee are the good teams is ridiculous. Every year UNC, Stanford, Oklahoma, and Duke (among others) are ranked in the top 10 or so, so to argue that there's only 2 good programs is ludicrous. And as for "no one beats the top teams", look at Stanford this past week. They lost to DePaul...

I agree, these streaks, these players, should not be compared. Women's basketball is much different from men's basketball. But I think we can all respect hard work.

Mochalman
12-22-2010, 04:11 PM
they are good but i hate the comparison to UCLA's record. shouldnt even be in the same category

Rivera
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
congrats to uconn women....they r really talented n have been for a long time!!!

braveniler58
12-22-2010, 09:36 PM
They didn't break the Mens' record, no, but they did break the Division I record, which happens to be also the Men's record.

UConn is a phenomenal team, and Maya Moore is a phenomenal superstar. She truly is amazing.

UConn has faced more Top 25 teams during their streak than UCLA did during theirs. The parity isn't the same as the men's side, but the parity in the men's game wasn't that profound back during UCLA's run.

The fact that these women work their ***** off to win 89 straight games remain. Winning that much in a row is an immensely difficult task.

I read in another forum that, even if UConn had a 98% chance of winning every game during the streak, the odds of the streak hitting 89 games is only 17%. It's that hard.

And what Geno said about everybody making this a big deal because they were going to break the men's record is very true. How do I know this? Because when they broke the women's record of 70 games (which was also their own, actually), nobody gave a ****. Everybody kept talking about the 88-streak record, not the 70-streak record. Geno is right.

Either way, major props to UConn for pulling off a phenomenal run. Let's keep it going!

madvillian9
12-31-2010, 12:25 AM
done-now go hide with the wnba

krazylegz
12-31-2010, 12:28 AM
i thought i was reading wrong....stanford wins by double digits

Mochalman
12-31-2010, 12:38 AM
wish they lost 3 games ago

metsfaninSTL
12-31-2010, 01:00 AM
great run. congrats to them. had to end sometime

jetsfan28
12-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Over 100 in a row against teams that aren't Stanford

:shrug:

aabar4518
12-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Glad to see the run end in December, not in April. Helluva run girls. Us in CT are wicked proud of all of you. Now start a new one!

BSF101
12-31-2010, 01:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=303640024:(:(:(

VRP723
12-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Thank God, now we don't have to hear about it