PDA

View Full Version : Where does Uggla End up?

Madness23
11-15-2010, 07:23 AM
PSD discuss :D

http://www.fishstripes.com/2010/11/13/1811735/tigers-inquire-about-dan-uggla

Madness23
11-15-2010, 07:24 AM
i think the jays are a great fit but i'm still hesitant about the package recquired to get the deal done !!

Lou Holtz Lisp
11-15-2010, 08:21 AM
SouljahPhil there are many articles saying Marlins are intent on trading him.. Just go to Marlins forum to see. Anyways, I wonder what it would take to acquire him? The Braves could offer Randall Delgado (Top 30 MLB prospect), Mike Dunn (Young controllable MLB arm), and Bethancourt (Top 5 prospect in Braves system; plays catcher). I wonder if that could get it done?

SouljahPhil...
11-15-2010, 08:46 AM
SouljahPhil there are many articles saying Marlins are intent on trading him.. Just go to Marlins forum to see. Anyways, I wonder what it would take to acquire him? The Braves could offer Randall Delgado (Top 30 MLB prospect), Mike Dunn (Young controllable MLB arm), and Bethancourt (Top 5 prospect in Braves system; plays catcher). I wonder if that could get it done?

I know man..that's why I told him to put even an article to back up his thread... so that other people who are to lazy to search could just read it here..

Uncle Sam
11-15-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.fishstripes.com/2010/11/13/1811735/tigers-inquire-about-dan-uggla

j/m_ets
11-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I have wanted the mets to go after him for a good time now. I would love him with the mets i feel like it would be a good fit. Please dont bash me it is hard enuf being a mets fan..

Rylinkus
11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I took the liberty of editting the thread title and adding the link posted in the original post. If you want to create a thread without even being clear about the discussion of course you're going to end up with smart *** remarks. In any case, let's keep the convo on Dan Uggla and where he'll be opening day.

ugafan
11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Technically, it should be "Where does Uggla end up?"
As it stands, it says "Where is Uggla end up?"

Just saying.

fadedmario
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Detroit

todu82
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Uggla would be a good fit on any major league team. Good hitter, one of the top 5 to 10 2nd basemen in baseball.

ugafan
11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't know where he would fit on the Braves.

Gunzito22
11-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I like him in Toronto. I feel like they need a legit power hitter behind Bautista (should he return in 2011 to 2010 form), I feel like toronto has got the goods to get the deal done prospect-wise. My only concern is that I am not positive Toronto will throw out the type of money Florida offered Uggla. (shell-shocked over the uber-contract mistakes over the past decade?)

Hunter48MVP
11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Tigers seem like a great fit for them.

Matt-the-great
11-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Apparently the Jays are looking like a strong possibility.

Uggla at 3rd would be great and we have the young pitching depth to trade.

I just worry about how overly right-handed our lineup would become

Lind and Snider would be our only effective lefties, and our only starting lefties i think...assuming Overbay is gone...

goldenstater
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I could see the giants getting in the mix. They have been interested in him in the past.

Rylinkus
11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Technically, it should be "Where does Uggla end up?"
As it stands, it says "Where is Uggla end up?"

Just saying.

Doh!

CAIN=FUTURE
11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
He joins his friend Cody Ross in San Francisco. Perfect fit for the Giants. We can move him to LF were his glove won't be abused to much, and he will give us a legitimate clean up hitter to go with Buster Posey.

1. Torres
2. Sanchez
3. Posey
4. Uggla
5. Sandoval
6. Huff
7. Cody Ross
8. Jaun Uribe/ SS signing.

Jeffy25
11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I honestly could see him in STL for 2011, but gone into free agency for 2012.

Call me a homer, but I could see it happening.

Hey C-Cross. Is Uggla's trade value lower now because he turned down that 48 million dollar offer?

I wouldn't mind Uggla, but I wouldn't want a 5 year, 65 million dollar contract going to him for 2012-2016 on the Cardinals current payroll (in fact, with resigning Pujols, I don't know how they could). But to help us compete this year, it certainly would be possible. I am putting it to like a 3% chance this would happen.

Halladay
11-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Uggla would be a good fit on any major league team. Good hitter, one of the top 5 to 10 2nd basemen in baseball.

With the bat yes. With the glove no.

h2r09
11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
people saying he is bad with the glove have no idea what you are tlaking about. he has turned into a pretty good defender. he has a pretty good glove. he will be traded though if he doesnt accept that contract, but i think he eventually will.

Kenny Powders
11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Apparently the Jays are looking like a strong possibility.

Uggla at 3rd would be great and we have the young pitching depth to trade.

I just worry about how overly right-handed our lineup would become

Lind and Snider would be our only effective lefties, and our only starting lefties i think...assuming Overbay is gone...

Uggla at third would be far from great. Hill's defence is far superior, from what I've read online. Chances are that if the Jays get him, Hill will be moved to third, IMO.

Jeffy25
11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Uggla's defense is below average. He isn't horrendous, but he is probably ranked number 17-20 in mlb second basemen defensively.

Also

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/trading-uggla/

In the aftermath of Dan Uggla rejecting their contract offer for four years and $48 million dollars, the Florida Marlins have reportedly put their second baseman on the trade block. It is an interesting move for what might indicate about Uggla’s current value, his potential landing spots, and where the Marlins see themselves.

Uggla’s primary selling point as as player has always been his bat, and 2010 was the best offensive season of his career with a .381 wOBA (.287/.369/.508). We don’t want to assume any player is going to repeat the best season of his career, especially not one who will be 31. Uggla’s 2011 ZiPS projection puts him at about +20 over 700 plate appearances. Both the metrics and scouts agree that Uggla is a poor defensive second baseman; 5 runs below average would seem to be fair, possibly generous, as an estimate of his true talent in the field. 3.5 WAR seems like a decent projection for Uggla in 2011.

It is hard to know how the free agent valuation will play out; at about $4.5 million dollars per marginal win, Uggla’s “open market” value would be about $16 million. 80 percent of his market value (a typical amount for a player’s third arbitration season) would be around $13 million dollars. Given the uncertainty in both the estimation of both the talent and likely salary, let’s put his surplus value at between two and six million dollars. Assuming he isn’t resigned, Uggla is going to be be a free agent after 2011 , so potential draft pick compensation needs to be taken into account. Uggla would be a Type A free agent if were on the market this season, and is likely to be after 2011. Still, anything can happen, so is general agreement with this data, let’s put his additional value due to draft pick compensation between three and six million dollars. Putting that together with his surplus value over his contract, we get between five and $12 million dollars in surplus; in terms of prospects, at the very worst that is a low-end B prospect. Teams rarely trade A prospects any more, and probably wouldn’t for Uggla, but he could potentially be worth something like a high-end B prospect and either another lesser B prospect or a couple of good Cs. It is probably somewhere in between those two… assuming the Marlins are after prospects.

There isn’t space here to speculate on all the teams that should or could be interested in Uggla. Some have suggested that Uggla could move to third to increase his options, but he (or at least his agent) has shown resistance to this in the past, and I personally don’t think he’ll be any better at third than at second (I’m open to being convinced otherwise). Given his age and contract status, a potential trade partner should probably be a team that has a good shot at contention in 2011 and that needs a second baseman. There are many possibilities, I’ll deal with just two that have been floated. The Tigers have been mentioned as a possible suitor for Uggla, and they do have a hole at second, and they’re usually willing to trade prospects (with the Marlins!) for established players. One intriguing (and puzzling) rumor involves the Toronto Blue Jays. One on hand, Uggla is “their kind of player” (DINGERS!), the Jays will probably continue to be competitive in 2011, and they do have plenty of pitching depth if that is what interests the Marlins. On the other hand, I’m not sure they are quite ready to cross the line from “competitive” to “contending,” pitching depth can disappear in a hurry, and given their division they need to make sure that even “win now” moves don’t interfere with a continual rebuilding plan. On that last point, the potential draft pick compensation from Uggla could come in handy, but it would need to offset whatever talent the Jays give up to get Uggla in the first place. Finally, the Jays would need to either sell low on current second baseman Aaron Hill (a poor man’s Uggla) or move him or Uggla to third base.

What does this say about how the Marlins see their situation? The 4/48 offer seemed fair to me, perhaps too much given his age and the Marlins’ budget — they definitely shouldn’t go any higher than that. S trying to trade Uggla in itself makes sense, but for what? I assumed above they would be looking for prospects because that’s what the Marlins usually do. But that may not be the case — after all, if they were willing to sign Uggla for 4/48 and trade Cameron Maybin for relievers (!), maybe they are seriously trying to contend in 2011. It isn’t unrealistic: the Phillies aren’t getting any younger, the Braves aren’t a juggernaut, the Nationals are still a ways off, and the Mets’ mess will probably take a little while to clean up. The Marlins have been quite respectable the last couple of seasons, but they have never been much more than that since 2003. Trading Uggla potentially opens up second base for Chris Coghlan, and they have some very talented players, but they would need to add some pieces. If they don’t plan on contending in 2011, why offer Uggla the big contract covering his likely decline years? If they do want to contend, why not keep Uggla whether he takes the four-year contract or not, and take the draft picks after the season? There is a third option, though — to try and contend by getting major league talent back for Uggla to help in areas of need (third base, outfield, pitching). The question then is whether the Marlins could get the right players back in a trade and have enough money left in their budgeted to add the remaining necessary parts. The front office generally does a good job with the resources they are given, but it would be nice to see that sort of commitment to winning from ownership given how they suckered the taxpayers have a new stadium coming (and their shoestring budget). I won’t be holding my breath.

Jeffy25
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Uggla at third would be far from great. Hill's defence is far superior, from what I've read online. Chances are that if the Jays get him, Hill will be moved to third, IMO.

Uggla being able to play second base is part of the reason his bat is so valuable. A move to third may help his defense, but his bats value would drop.

You could find a guy for a lot less that can play third and hit as well as Uggla, while you couldn't find a guy that can play second and hit as well as him as easily.

The longer he can stay at second the greater his value...even if he is a negative defensively.

Any team wishing to obtain him needs to want him at second base, and needs to be willing to accept his below average defense in order to have his bat.

djeller1139
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
San Fran...please.

marlinsfan24
11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I still believe Uggla will be wearing a Marlins uniform next season unless the Marlins get the offer they want.

National writers like Olney and Rosenthal are saying that they are going to just trade him, but most reporters covering the Marlins are saying the price has to be right. Otherwise, I'd much rather take those draft picks next season.

Jeffy25
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Uggla's stock is probably higher before the season starts then it would be at the deadline. The reverse is true for Jose Reyes for example.

You don't want to risk injury, the guy has consistently performed, and teams would rather have a 6 month rental than a 2 month rental, and would probably pay more for a 6 month. If the Marlins know they won't be resigning him, they would be wise to ask for everyones best offer by a deadline time and either accept the best offer, or keep him until July. But I can't imagine his value being higher in July.

RTL
11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
All I have read is that the Jays are the front runners and I see this happening. The Jays have good pitching to offer and Uggla can fill in at third. The only reason he started at second when he came up with the Marlisn because there was a man named Miguel Cabrera playing third. Why Uggla wasn't moved to third years ago is beyond me.

marlinsfan24
11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
All I have read is that the Jays are the front runners and I see this happening. The Jays have good pitching to offer and Uggla can fill in at third. The only reason he started at second when he came up with the Marlisn because there was a man named Miguel Cabrera playing third. Why Uggla wasn't moved to third years ago is beyond me.

Probably because the Marlins saw his trade value being the highest as a 2B. Honestly, I would have never figured that Uggla would last this long as a Marlin.

BYBLOS88
11-15-2010, 07:40 PM
i see him going to the angels for howie kendrick straight up, they are both equally good in there own ways. good for both teams because howie will cost less money for the marlins and uggla gives the angels more power

TO to the CHI
11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
i see him going to the angels for howie kendrick straight up, they are both equally good in there own ways. good for both teams because howie will cost less money for the marlins and uggla gives the angels more power

I see you being wrong. Kendrick is nowhere near equal value and the Marlins are not looking for a 2B as a direct swap for Uggla.

Daze9900
11-15-2010, 07:52 PM
i have wanted the mets to go after him for a good time now. I would love him with the mets i feel like it would be a good fit. Please dont bash me it is hard enuf being a mets fan..

+1

CoachWall
11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Blue Jays

In a pod cast on 590 The Fan, the Jays GM said he would something to formally announce tomorrow, but wouldn't say what. Jays have the young prospects and can slide him in at third. Good hitters park, lots of protection in the line up.

fadedmario
11-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Detroit will get him

Halopower31
11-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Me personally i see him going to Giants,Detriot, or the Jays cuz they have the most flexibility. The Angels were in the discussion but the problem is Mike Scioscia loves defense which Uggla lags. The only way i see Uggla going to LAA is if they can find away to get rid of Howie but not for Uggla. I see the Angels only offering the Marlins like a Mike Napoli and Kevin Jepsen for Uggla. Which im sure they would say no cuz they could get better deals from Detroit,San Fran, or Toronto.

Jeffy25
11-16-2010, 12:42 AM
I see you being wrong. Kendrick is nowhere near equal value and the Marlins are not looking for a 2B as a direct swap for Uggla.

agreed. They might take Kendrick, but will want some solid pitching as well.

Kendrick does not equal Uggla in trade value.

Melo15
11-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Sources: #Marlins and #Braves talking about Uggla for IF Infante and LHP Dunn. Story soon on FOXSports.com. #MLB

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/4655446954614784

#Braves appear to very close to nearing deal for Dan Uggla.

http://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/4658757627809792

marlinsfan24
11-16-2010, 06:34 PM
****! If the Marlins trade Uggla to the Braves, I'll be beyond pissed. Especially for Infante...

Melo15
11-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah that is a very weak return for Uggla