PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westrook, no love.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Russell Westbrook is still not getting the love that he deserves from any NBA fans...

Kevin durant takes all the love from this kid, and Durant does deserve that love, but Westbrook needs to be recognized.

This kid has been the best of the two for the thunder this season, and has been one of the top 5, YES I SAID IT, top 5 players in the league "this season".

(Please do not take what I just said into me believing that Westbrook is a Top five NBA player, i understand that he is not even near, but i am saying that THIS SEASON SO FAR, yes, only 8 games, westbrook has played on the potential of a top 5 player)

Westbrook is averaging 24.3ppg, 8 assists, 6.4 rebounds, 2.3 steals

I dont really know who has a more impressive stat line than that. If you add up points, rebounds, and assists, westbrook is leading the league. Give the guy some love?

If you have watched any of his games, he is beginning to just get to the rim at ease, and develop a jumper. Its getting scary.

Thoughts?

Why no love?

All-star this year?

Rank in the top point guards?

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 03:30 PM
#4 PG this season. I just gave him some Love in the Rondo thread yesterday.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
#4 PG this season. I just gave him some Love in the Rondo thread yesterday.

This is a league full of Gods at Point Guard right now as well...

I mean you can argue that Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, and Derrick Rose are all top players in the league this season regardless of the position.

Chacarron
11-13-2010, 03:36 PM
The UCLA kids are killing it this year.

ramsizzle
11-13-2010, 03:36 PM
people dont give him the love he deserves because of all the great pg's hes playing with my far the best player....weather its warranted or not hes gonna get that criticism every time. kid is a beast though

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:37 PM
his stat lines are crazy and dude is athletic as hell! dont watch to many thunder games but I was shocked at how well he could rebound too.Gotta cut back on the turnovers though

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 03:37 PM
This is a league full of Gods at Point Guard right now as well...

I mean you can argue that Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, and Derrick Rose are all top players in the league this season regardless of the position.

agreed. I think the PG rankings go as follows
Paul
Williams
Rondo
Westbrook

that is for this season only of course, but that is what I have.

ChaseHamels
11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Why is he not getting any "love"? I hate this expression and this is such a small sample size. Talk to me in January.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
agreed. I think the PG rankings go as follows
Paul
Williams
Rondo
Westbrook

that is for this season only of course, but that is what I have.

I agree with those rankings, but drose has to be in there too, and anytime Russ gets mentioned as better than Drose, people go craaaazy.

ramsizzle
11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Why is he not getting any "love"? I hate this expression and this is such a small sample size. Talk to me in January.

check his stats last season...Westbrook has been balling hard for a while. 16 pts, 5 rbs, and 8 ast.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 03:47 PM

i mean that he is not getting the recognition that he deserves....

Derrick Rose has been talked about all year constantly by announcers

And check out the MVP race, Westbrook is not even mentioned.

I know its early! And this has very little to do with who is going to be the MVP, and there is not a chance that Westbrook wins MVP. Im just saying that as of now (if other players are so high on this list, he needs to be mentioned..

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/11/12/race-to-mvp-week3/index.html#

Also in most point guard rankings, he is being ranked around 7 or 8.

This kid just turned 22 yesterday.

This is what I mean by no "love", regardless how far into the season we are.

ChaseHamels
11-13-2010, 03:47 PM
check his stats last season...Westbrook has been balling hard for a while. 16 pts, 5 rbs, and 8 ast.

He's a fantastic player, playing behind arguably the best player in the league and is brought up in every basketball discussion I've had this year. Don't understand where this no "love" BS is coming from...

SeoulBeatz
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Indeed they are. LOVE Westbrooks game. He is no question playing like a top 5 player RIGHT now and i think he takes a lot of pressure of Durant tbh. Def an allstar candidate.

Also would like to mention one of the other UCLA products, Jrue Holiday, is averaging 19.0 ppg, 10.5 apg, 2.0 spg, 50% from 3pt in his last 5 games.

This season he's putting up 14.1 ppg, 7.4 apg, 1.9 spg, 50% fg, 40% 3pt

he never got mentioned last season as being one of the top guards and this season he is putting up better numbers than Jennings, Lawson, and Collison.

He may be the best true point guard out of this draft class (Curry and Ty are combos IMO)

And he just turned 20 years old....

sorry for being a homer, I'm done haha.

Minimal
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
As of right now I would say Westbrook>Durant.
And how the **** we see Durant in top 10 MVP race and not Westbrook, Durant has only 22.50 PER, while Westbrook has 27.50 PER? Westbrook is the leader of OKC, not Durant. Durant looks more like a strong role player, not leader.
Durant MVP? Yeah, sure...

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
for some reason when I read "no love" I thought of the haddaway song what is love...I then thought of the Will Ferrel SnL skit where hes that coked out head bobbing dude....pot is a hell of a drug

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:50 PM
And how the **** we see Durant in top 10 MVP race and not Westbrook, Durant has only 22.50 PER, while Westbrook has 27.50 PER? Westbrook is the leader of OKC, not Durant. Durant looks more like a strong role played, not leader.

agreed with this until this bomb dropped lol

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I agree with those rankings, but drose has to be in there too, and anytime Russ gets mentioned as better than Drose, people go craaaazy.

I don't need to include Rose. I think these other four have played better so far. I don't tend to go with the national media on everything

sep11ie
11-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Ahhh man, now we're all sleeping on Westy...

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Ahhh man, now we're all sleeping on Westy...

ur sig is killer that dunk wasnt even close ahahahaha

ramsizzle
I don't need to include Rose. I think these other four have played better so far. I don't tend to go with the national media on everything

you need to check your stats or something...Rose has been KILLING all year.

dsickich123
He is 6th in the league in scoring, 10th in the league in assists, 8th in the league in steals, while averaging almost 7 rebounds as a point guard!

At 22 years old!

He needs more credit.

No one considers him an all-star, why not?

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 03:54 PM
^^^Russell Westbrook, not Derrick Rose.

Sactown
11-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Tyreke!!

sargon21
11-13-2010, 03:56 PM
^ not an all-star just b/c the PG position is stacked, and d-will and cp3 are both in the West... and plus let's see him sustain it for a couple more weeks before you ask for all-star consideration

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 03:57 PM
you need to check your stats or something...Rose has been KILLING all year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=paulch01&y1=2011&p2=willide01&y2=2011&p3=rondora01&y3=2011&p4=westbru01&y4=2011

those are my top 4

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rosede01.html

here is Rose. I have him at #5 for the season. The problem is this. Paul and Rondo are clearly better at running a team or an offense through their teammates, ie, traditional PG. Deron and Westbrook have been far more efficient playing that scorer's role. Rose is on the cusp, but his shooting percentages just kill him because he doesn't distribute enough.

there are some stats for you

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 03:58 PM
tyreke!!

sg

sargon21
11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Top PGs in the league this year (so far)

1. Paul
2. Williams
3. Rose
4. Rondo
5. Nash
6. Westbrook
7. Wall

sargon21
11-13-2010, 04:07 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=paulch01&y1=2011&p2=willide01&y2=2011&p3=rondora01&y3=2011&p4=westbru01&y4=2011

those are my top 4

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rosede01.html

here is Rose. I have him at #5 for the season. The problem is this. Paul and Rondo are clearly better at running a team or an offense through their teammates, ie, traditional PG. Deron and Westbrook have been far more efficient playing that scorer's role. Rose is on the cusp, but his shooting percentages just kill him because he doesn't distribute enough.

there are some stats for you

How does he not distribute enough, he's averaging 10 assists/game.

Rose's ast% is 44%, while D-will's is 43.6% and Westbrook's is 38.3%... And Rose's tov% is 15.8%, while D-will's is 17.3%, Westbrook's is 15.1%, and Rondo's shoots up to 25.6%

The only real area where Rose is trailing is in ts%, but that will improve as well considering he's shooting a lower fg% than usual.

Also, from looking at these stats, CP3 is so clearly the #1 PG in the league.

Hunter48MVP
11-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I like Westbrook a lot, he is proven that he is a top point guard in this league

ColeWorld
11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
UCLA really is killing it

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
How does he not distribute enough, he's averaging 10 assists/game.

Rose's ast% is 44%, while D-will's is 43.6% and Westbrook's is 38.3%... And Rose's tov% is 15.8%, while D-will's is 17.3%, Westbrook's is 15.1%, and Rondo's shoots up to 25.6%

The only real area where Rose is trailing is in ts%, but that will improve as well considering he's shooting a lower fg% than usual.

Also, from looking at this stats, CP3 is so clearly the #1 PG in the league.

Rose trails by a bigger margin in scoring efficiency, than he leads by the numbers you posted. And please don't think these will be my final ratings come season's end. When Rose gets a big time player back in Boozer, he will probably climb. Look at the Offensive Ratings. Rose is last of the four. Even Rondo is ahead, yikes

And yes, Paul is clearly the best PG in the NBA. That isn't even a discussion at this time

Young and Stupid
11-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Westbrook definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves and that's bound to happen when you play next to the NBA's golden-boy and in Oklahoma City. He's a great passer, a good rebounder for his size, a straight horror off the dribble and one of the league's best defenders at his position.

I observed this last year in the playoffs and I saw it again last night: I've never seen (yeah, I said never seen) a player elevate as quickly as Russell does. I mean he gets off the ground so quick that it doesn't even seem logical. I don't really watch many Thunder games, but I get the impression that if Westbrook forced the issue more he could score at least twenty-five points a game. Am I the only one who sees how quickly Westbrook gets off the ground? It's ****ing crazy.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Westbrook definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves and that's bound to happen when you play next to the NBA's golden-boy and in Oklahoma City. He's a great passer, a good rebounder for his size, a straight horror off the dribble and one of the league's best defenders at his position.

I observed this last year in the playoffs and I saw it again last night: I've never seen (yeah, I said never seen) a player elevate as quickly as Russell does. I mean he gets off the ground so quick that it doesn't even seem logical. I don't really watch many Thunder games, but I get the impression that if Westbrook forced the issue more he could score at least twenty-five points a game. Am I the only one who sees how quickly Westbrook gets off the ground? It's ****ing crazy.

I was thinking this exact same thing when I watched him. Dennis Rodman was the only thing I have seen quicker

sargon21
11-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Rose trails by a bigger margin in scoring efficiency, than he leads by the numbers you posted. And please don't think these will be my final ratings come season's end. When Rose gets a big time player back in Boozer, he will probably climb. Look at the Offensive Ratings. Rose is last of the four. Even Rondo is ahead, yikes

And yes, Paul is clearly the best PG in the NBA. That isn't even a discussion at this time

Yeah, I was just arguing the distributor part, because I think this will be the year when people stop saying Rose isn't a good distributor, yada, yada, yada move him to the SG position... that will stop.

Also, Rose's efficiency is just worst than it was last year, and that will definently change even if boozer didn't come back at all, so boozer's impact will help in a lot of ways.

But, as of now, how do you think the PG Rankings will end up, when all is said and done after this year?

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I was just arguing the distributor part, because I think this will be the year when people stop saying Rose isn't a good distributor, yada, yada, yada move him to the SG position... that will stop.

Also, Rose's efficiency is just worst than it was last year, and that will definently change even if boozer didn't come back at all, so boozer's impact will help in a lot of ways.

But, as of now, how do you think the PG Rankings end up, when all is said and done after this year?

I expect everyone to regress/agress to the mean, meaning, Rose's shooting will get better, Rondo's assist numbers will drop, etc. If I had to stab in the dark at the final PG rankings (and I won't debate this with anyone, because its purely MY speculation), it will go as follows

Paul
Rondo
Rose
Williams
Westbrook

effen5
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I expect everyone to regress/agress to the mean, meaning, Rose's shooting will get better, Rondo's assist numbers will drop, etc. If I had to stab in the dark at the final PG rankings (and I won't debate this with anyone, because its purely MY speculation), it will go as follows

Paul
Rondo
Rose
Williams
Westbrook

I agree with this list.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Its purely unbelievable. I just hope he stays on OKC.

checkit
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
russ gets love from me, the kid is starting this season off excellently. atm he is definitely playing better than durant. hopefully he can keep it up throughout the season.

Sactown
11-13-2010, 04:30 PM
sg

No he's not

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 04:32 PM
russ gets love from me, the kid is starting this season off excellently. atm he is definitely playing better than durant. hopefully he can keep it up throughout the season.

YUUUUP. Me too. I would love to see him average over 20ppg and at least 8 assists with near 5-6 rebounds.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 04:33 PM
no he's not

kings to seattle!

thedfactor
11-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Oh, I was hoping to find a link to a westbrook mix video with no love by em & wayne

tredigs
11-13-2010, 04:36 PM
And how the **** we see Durant in top 10 MVP race and not Westbrook, Durant has only 22.50 PER, while Westbrook has 27.50 PER? Westbrook is the leader of OKC, not Durant. Durant looks more like a strong role player, not leader.

Not a chance man; He's been a little better to start the season, but in no way is he the better player of the two. Westrbook's a GREAT player - as good or better than D. Rose given his defense - but he's not quite on KD's level. There's a reason why Durant is considered the leader and best player on the team, or why Durant was the VERY CLEAR leader and best player on the Gold medal team this summer (which had both Westbrook and Rose, if you remember).

In two weeks when KD has his stroke back and is putting up 30+ (against double teams) along with solid defense game after game after game, you'll come back to your senses.

Bottom line though is that they're an amazing 1-2 punch, and as Ibaka continues to improve, they're becoming more and more complete as a title-challenging team.

arkanian215
11-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Rankings by WS/48 (gotta play at least 5 games and 30mpg)
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Devin Harris
Jason Terry
Andre Miller
Jason Kidd
Monta Ellis
Rajon Rondo
Steve Nash
Deron Williams
D.J. Augustin

Sactown
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
kings to seattle!
Hahah the Maloofs pretty much told Ballmer to **** off

tredigs
11-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Rankings by WS/48 (gotta play at least 5 games and 30mpg)
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Devin Harris
Jason Terry
Andre Miller
Jason Kidd
Monta Ellis
Rajon Rondo
Steve Nash
Deron Williams
D.J. Augustin

^Illuminating the fact that WS/48 mean next to nothing when the sample size is ~10 games. Cream always rises to the top; and that cream = Kobe/Pau/Durant/LBJ/Wade/Dirk, etc.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 04:40 PM
No he's not

yes, he is. he played over 60% of his minutes at SG last season, and over 2/3 of his minutes this season at SG.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Hahah the Maloofs pretty much told Ballmer to **** off

I know he did, but i guy can dream..and i dont trust anything that comes out of an NBA owners mouth.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
back to the thread:

Will Russell Westbrook become an all-star in the league? Super-star?

D Roses Bulls
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I see we still have lots of rose haters........

Sactown
11-13-2010, 04:49 PM
yes, he is. he played over 60% of his minutes at SG last season, and over 2/3 of his minutes this season at SG.

Although he is listed at the SG position he plays as the PG.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 04:52 PM

then that could be part of the problem in Sac. You are either playing Beno out of position, or no, Evans is a SG.
And really, Evans SHOULD be playing SG if he wants to realize his potential. You can always be a ball controlling SG like Wade, but Evans is not ever going to be properly used at PG

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I see we still have lots of rose haters........

why is that? Rose's offensive rating is lower than Rondo's even. That is not good my friend. SO FAR, Rose is the 5th best PG. At least for me

ramsizzle
11-13-2010, 04:56 PM

tyreke doesnt pass unless hes flooded with defenders...he like NEVER passes his team is even growing impatient. he is a shooting guard.

Sactown
11-13-2010, 05:16 PM
then that could be part of the problem in Sac. You are either playing Beno out of position, or no, Evans is a SG.
And really, Evans SHOULD be playing SG if he wants to realize his potential. You can always be a ball controlling SG like Wade, but Evans is not ever going to be properly used at PG

actually Beno plays better off ball and that's the reason tyreke mainly plays PG (which he actually is better at, underrated person because nobody can score on his assist :pity:" but it works out well the reason beno is so needed because he is the glue to the offense he is a great SG

Sactown
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
tyreke doesnt pass unless hes flooded with defenders...he like NEVER passes his team is even growing impatient. he is a shooting guard.

Ughh another ignorant poster >< He was forced to score last year because of the lack of talent do to injury/no talent.. there was a reason they were the worst team in the league the previous year. He has to adjust to the new talent his assist numbers are going up.. last two games 9 a game...

Gators123
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
My Rankings

CP3
DWill
Rondo
Westbrook

millerandco
11-13-2010, 05:44 PM
i love westbrook

for me

1. cp3
2. rondo
3. williams
4. westbrook

alencp3
11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
He is better than Rose IMO
CP3,DWill,Rondo,Westbrook,Rose,Wall,Nash,Tyreke...

basketfan4life
11-13-2010, 05:58 PM
he elvates quick high and scary...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaob4MsH-Zw

alencp3
11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
back to the thread:

Will Russell Westbrook become an all-star in the league? Super-star?

Almost everyone is superstar nowadays, i mean Wall and Griffin are already superstars

BHF
11-13-2010, 06:09 PM
My Rankings

CP3
DWill
Rondo
Westbrook

:clap: right on

NetsPaint
11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I think people just look at his age or something and don't even think about and just think about the players in their 20s. This man consistently leads his team with his passing, and is by far the best shooter of the PGs. He's keeping the Suns still in the mix without Amar'e. He had a great game last night.

Chris Paul is the only one really on that level who can lead a team with his passing. Rondo gets the assists, improved a lot, but he also has big help.

Nash could easily score more, but he chooses to still get everyone involved and has success. Boggles my mind to see Top 5 lists and he's not on there.

Public Enemy #1
11-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Nah, he gets plenty of love and will continue to get love and recognition as long as the Thunder win games. Don't worry, he will be known when its all said and done. Dude is top 5 point guard in the league right now. Great fantasy guy too, picking up those stats! haha

bears88
11-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I personally don't care of what people think of Rose, the reason why they hate on him becasue he doesn't play good defense look some players are born to be good defenders and some players aren't and Rose is part of the group that he wasn't born to defend even thou he improved his D this season with coach thibs.

Mplsman
11-13-2010, 06:36 PM

this.

cbreezy34
11-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I really love most of the point guards right now.... My PG Rankings go like this.....

1. C Paul
2. D Williams
3. Rondo
4. Westbrook
5. D Rose
6. Steve Nash
7. John Wall
8. Jrue Holliday
9. C Billups
10. Tony Parker

bodupp311
11-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Until teams actually start game planning around him, he's not a top 5 pg. He is playing good, I'll give him that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Baller1
11-13-2010, 07:27 PM
By the end of this season, Westbrook will be a top 3 PG.

Young24
11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Top PGs in the league this year (so far)

1. Paul
2. Williams
3. Rose
4. Rondo
5. Nash
6. Westbrook
7. Wall

No

1. Paul
2. Williams
3. Rondo
4. Westbrook
5. Rose
6. Wall
7. Nash
8. Curry

so far this season this is how it fairs.

Duncan = Donkey
11-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Nash is having a great season as well. The main difference is though Westbrook, Rose and Deron are scoring a bit more but Nash is shooting a much better per percentage.
Nash 52% - Westbrook, Rose, Williams 45/46%.

Duncan = Donkey
11-13-2010, 11:43 PM
No

1. Paul
2. Williams
3. Rondo
4. Westbrook
5. Rose
6. Wall
7. Nash
8. Curry

so far this season this is how it fairs.

WOW, John Wall ahead of Nash.:facepalm:

Nash 20 and 10, 52% FG 42% from 3.

Wall 18 and 10, 43% FG 33% from 3.

These are just very basic stats, and its obvious who is having a better season.

Just an FYI Id have Nash at at 2/3 on the list.

Young24
11-14-2010, 04:38 AM
WOW, John Wall ahead of Nash.:facepalm:

Nash 20 and 10, 52% FG 42% from 3.

Wall 18 and 10, 43% FG 33% from 3.

These are just very basic stats, and its obvious who is having a better season.

Just an FYI Id have Nash at at 2/3 on the list.

Your right I made a mistake.

arkanian215
11-15-2010, 03:02 AM
^Illuminating the fact that WS/48 mean next to nothing when the sample size is ~10 games. Cream always rises to the top; and that cream = Kobe/Pau/Durant/LBJ/Wade/Dirk, etc.

Wait it doesn't illustrate the performances of the players so far? I believe the title of the thread is Russell Westbrook, no love. Maybe this is a way of showing that based on performances so far, he should getting some of the spot light over guys who get high per game stats? Also, the list is supposed to be guys who have played a large share of PT at PG.

Ty Fast
11-15-2010, 03:17 AM
what is it with all these "love", "no love" threads lately? i want some love!!!

D1JM
11-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Westbrook doesnt get enough love because he has durant on his team. He overshadows him

DoJoTheSlasher
11-15-2010, 05:43 AM
He is a top 30 player in the league but he is only 22 so he has so much room to grow. He has been a beast this year and he obviously won't keep it up but his stats will be somewhere around 20/8/5 this year.

Should be an All Star
Top 10 PG (6 or 7)

JordansBulls
11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Since the playoffs last year he has been the best player on the team.

ragee
11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
That's because CP3, D-Will, Rondo and Rose are getting all the attention... You can't say they don't deserve it... Sure Westbrook is getting overlooked a little but he can use it to his favor... He'll get his share of the spotlight sooner or later... D-Will was like that a couple of years ago and look where he is now...

KobeOwnSU
11-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Russ has always been the one overlooked...When he was recruited to UCLA, it wasnt until a scholarship fell through with another player that he got the offer...Then he was Darren Collisons' back up...Then he played in the shadow of Kevin Love...Then, even when he gets drafted 4th overall, he was still doubted...And now he is playing in the shadow of KD, out in that publicity gold minne that is OK City...I think he will always be one of those guys that just get underestimated and then when he is towards the end of his career everyone will look at his stats and say, "When the **** did he do all this?"

Rivera
11-15-2010, 11:10 AM
we should just have a thread with every player

russell westbrook love thread

kevin love love thread

matt bonner appreciation thread

bosh hate thread

lebron hate thread

rondo love thread

drose love/hate thread

monta love/hate thread

this way we wont gett a (insert player name here) doesnt get no love thread again