PDA

View Full Version : Is kevin Love that awesome or is he just a good player on a very bad team?

Lakeshow86
11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
You might have heard that Love is the first guy to get a 30-30 game in a billion years against the Knicks. He also had a similar game against the lakers a few nights ago. Is he really that great or is he just a good player on a really bad team full of high schoool players and he has to literally do everything?

Dol-Fan
11-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Using your logic, Brook Lopez should have grabbed 30 rebounds on the 12-win Nets last year "because they had no one else" :rolleyes:

No matter what the talent level on your team (and IMO, the Wolves have a great young core), if you grab 30 rebounds while scoring 30 points, you are a beast.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 02:57 PM
gee I don't know. National High School player of the year over the likes of Beasley, Rose, and Mayo for starters. Pac 10 Player of the Year, and Freshman of the Year over Mayo, Lopez, Westbrook, and more. 4th all time for rebound rate for a rookie. Best rebounder in the NBA per 48 mpg by his second year. Named to the US National Team, where his completely dominant rebounding and passing ability helped us to a gold medal. Leading the top rebounding team in the NBA, and leading the league in rebounding, to go along with 18 a night, and starting the running game with the flick of a wrist.

I have been high on him since his 1st game at UCLA. Just because he is finally making some noise after being erroneously left off the all rookie team, and gets constantly overlooked because he plays below the rim, doesn't mean he wouldn't be a stud in any system

Answer the question?

Hustlenomics
11-13-2010, 02:58 PM
well he is a good player on a bad team ..he aint no superstar or anything based off of a few games

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 02:58 PM
All I know is im lookin like a frickin genius for grabbing him in 2 of my 3 fantasy leagues...I almost crapped when I saw that statline this morning

ManRam
11-13-2010, 02:59 PM
There have been plenty of players on bad teams over the last few decades. No one has ever done what he did last night.

He's a very good player. If he could play defense, he'd be a superstar some day...regardless of the team he's on.

Dol-Fan
11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
gee I don't know. National High School player of the year over the likes of Beasley, Rose, and Mayo for starters. Pac 10 Player of the Year, and Freshman of the Year over Mayo, Lopez, Westbrook, and more. 4th all time for rebound rate for a rookie. Best rebounder in the NBA per 48 mpg by his second year. Named to the US National Team, where his completely dominant rebounding and passing ability helped us to a gold medal. Leading the top rebounding team in the NBA, and leading the league in rebounding, to go along with 18 a night, and starting the running game with the flick of a wrist.

I have been high on him since his 1st game at UCLA. Just because he is finally making some noise after being erroneously left off the all rookie team, and gets constantly overlooked because he plays below the rim, doesn't mean he wouldn't be a stud in any system

Answer the question?

/thread

Seriously, I know you might get criticized because you're a T-Wolves fan dealing with a Wolves based thread, but close this garbage. Or at least merge it with the other K-Love thread.

JermanJaysFan
11-13-2010, 04:10 PM
All I know is im lookin like a frickin genius for grabbing him in 2 of my 3 fantasy leagues...I almost crapped when I saw that statline this morning

I have him in all three of mine.

DerekRE_3
11-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Love is awesome on offense and on the glass, like ManRam said, defense leaves something to be desired. Besides that though, he's ridiculous when his coach decides to play him.

Jays Claw
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
He'll be a great player regardless of what system he plays in. Leading the league in rebounds, rebounds per 48mpg and double-doubles is no fluke.

Super.
11-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Kevin Love is easily the best rebounder in the NBA. One of my favorite players too

tredigs
11-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Answer the question?

Amazing rebounder, fantastic outlet passer (nice vision in general for a big), and absolutely HAS to be playing ~36 a game for them.

He does come with flaws, though. He's an undersized big who lacks the ability to guard other elite bigs with any effectiveness, and he's just not a very efficient scorer (some of that has to do with the fact that he's always stretching the floor/taking jumpers), but he'd be much more valuable if he was more of a banger in the block.

I'm big on Love too, though. I'd love to have him in the GS.

Hunter48MVP
11-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Kevin Love is a BEAST!

Mplsman
11-13-2010, 06:27 PM
22 year old phenomenon.

cambovenzi
11-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Hes a great rebounder.
But his scoring isnt that great in my opinion.
Hes very inefficient for a big man.
Shooting under 40% this season.

On a better team there might be guys stealing some rebounds, but i think he is definitely a skilled rebounder. I think the many offensive rebounds prove that.

BkOriginalOne
11-13-2010, 06:48 PM
He is a great rebounder and always has been.
He needs to be with a another big who can score, but doesn't board a lot (Amare)

hugepatsfan
11-13-2010, 06:59 PM
He is an absolute monster on the boards. I have not seen much of him so if I'm wrong I;m sure a Wolves fan will correct if I'm wrong, but the rest of his game is just meh. He can shoot decent though. I know he is a bad defender. But I would actually really appreciate if Hawkeye or any other Minny fan could explain his offensive game/tendencies.

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 07:02 PM
He is a great rebounder and always has been.
He needs to be with a another big who can score, but doesn't board a lot (Amare)

Bargnani

DeyAce
11-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Mvp mvp

MJ-BULLS
11-13-2010, 07:14 PM
hes a great player on a bad team.
if he learns how to play some better defense he could really become a superstar in this league.

stejay
11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Very good player, and an extremely underrated one. I think if he irons out some grey areas in his game, (i.e. defense), then he is a MVP contender. I really think that. Also, I think he needs a move away to fully maximise his potential. Imagine what he will be like with a trul brilliant PG, like a Deron, or a CP3, or even a Rondo, if any of those teams were to make a move for him. And only 22 years old? This kid has a great future, you watch this space.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 07:51 PM
He is an absolute monster on the boards. I have not seen much of him so if I'm wrong I;m sure a Wolves fan will correct if I'm wrong, but the rest of his game is just meh. He can shoot decent though. I know he is a bad defender. But I would actually really appreciate if Hawkeye or any other Minny fan could explain his offensive game/tendencies.

while he can space the floor, he tends to rely too much on the outside shot. He has a good foul draw rate, and is an awesome free throw shooter. He finishes after contact, and is a great passer, both in the halfcourt setting, and his outlet passing is the best in the NBA, hands down. As he gets more and more experience, he will get a few tricks under his sleeve to score pretty easily. 20 ppg scorer in his prime is what to expect at least. I would guess he is a 22-14 player in his prime, with good passing. He handles the ball very well, and can turn from the high post and get to the rim.
He shoots too much outside currently. But that will change as he develops. He will also need to develop a few defensive tricks, like taking charges, or selling offensive fouls. He also needs to apply his ability to hold his ground when giving up post position.

hugepatsfan
11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
while he can space the floor, he tends to rely too much on the outside shot. He has a good foul draw rate, and is an awesome free throw shooter. He finishes after contact, and is a great passer, both in the halfcourt setting, and his outlet passing is the best in the NBA, hands down. As he gets more and more experience, he will get a few tricks under his sleeve to score pretty easily. 20 ppg scorer in his prime is what to expect at least. I would guess he is a 22-14 player in his prime, with good passing. He handles the ball very well, and can turn from the high post and get to the rim.
He shoots too much outside currently. But that will change as he develops. He will also need to develop a few defensive tricks, like taking charges, or selling offensive fouls. He also needs to apply his ability to hold his ground when giving up post position.

Does he have a back to the basket game? Who does he compare to in the NBA right now? And who would be the ideal C to play next to him from a playing style standpoint?

I don't mean to ask so many questions, but I just know very little about his offensive game.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Does he have a back to the basket game? Who does he compare to in the NBA right now? And who would be the ideal C to play next to him from a playing style standpoint?

I don't mean to ask so many questions, but I just know very little about his offensive game.

He has a somewhat poor back to the basket game. He can go lane, and drop a hook with minimal range, and he can drop step and draw a foul. But he has a long ways to go. I honestly don't know who to compare him to. A young Brad Miller is the only thing I can think of, with much better rebounding. He is a great passer, and will have really good range as his career progresses.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
as for ideal next to him? A shot blocking big who can score around 8 feet in. Tyson Chanler, Marcus Camby, etc.

gilly
11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
If he learns some D he could be the premier big man in the league. He'll get a good PG next year in Rubio. The T Wolves could be REALLY good next year, Rubio/Johnson/Beasley/Love is a solid 1-4 base and they'll be getting a great pick this year. Things looking up for the Wolves!

SpeeMN
11-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Love can put up these numbers on any team he is on. He is just better at boxing people out under the basket. He makes contact before the ball comes off the rim. You just don't see players anticipating rebounds like he does. He is like the Center's of the 90's.

I'd agree with Hawk that Brad Miller from his days with the kings is like Love, but love crashes the boards better. Maybe Anthony Mason, or any post player that creates space with body contact, not relying on any jumping ability.

ilovemyangel
11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
I think it's becoz he's playing the Knicks haha

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 09:31 PM
I think it's becoz he's playing the Knicks haha

well, he put up 23-24 against the Lakers on Tuesday.

HoopsMachine
11-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I think he has huge upside epsecially if the T-Wolves actually start to build a decent team.

Avenged
11-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Answer the question?

This is pretty much the thread.. And it certainly doesn't hurt him playing alongside Darko = more rebounds. Any possibility Love wins MIP?

Raph12
11-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Love was putting up near 20-10 numbers in 26mpg, so yeah, he's pretty beast.

NYtilIdie
11-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Why in the hell isn't this guy getting 30+ minutes? What does Rambis have against this guy?

Tony_Starks
11-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Why in the hell isn't this guy getting 30+ minutes? What does Rambis have against this guy?

Rhambis resents his matador defense and the fact that he takes plays off. His work ethic has been questioned not just by Rhambis but his teammates as well.....

dodie53
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
rebounding machine

boeknows
11-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Hes a great rebounder.
But his scoring isnt that great in my opinion.
Hes very inefficient for a big man.
Shooting under 40% this season.

On a better team there might be guys stealing some rebounds, but i think he is definitely a skilled rebounder. I think the many offensive rebounds prove that.

Yeah like when he was on team USA.

Sadds The Gr8
11-15-2010, 02:09 AM
it's only his 3rd season...

xabial
11-15-2010, 02:44 AM
He's pretty amazing, If he keeps playing like this it'll be debatable who would you take Mayo Or Love? Its Funny because when Minny Swapped picks with Memphis (#3 to #5) they unloaded several Bad Contracts because Mayo was considered the better player (And the higher pick). Now looking back at that trade i may have even traded Mayo For Love without unloading those bad contracts. ( Or just drafted him at #3) Kid's a Stud.