PDA

View Full Version : No meniscus left in Brandon Roy's knee

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 02:45 PM
This cant be good......
There's no meniscus left to operate on in Roy's left knee. "Nah. None. Not in my right, either," Roy said Friday.

The reason Roy's knee has been swelling up regularly, to the point where it has already been drained twice by Blazers' doctor Don Roberts this season, is because there is no cartilage to absorb the pounding associated with running and jumping.

"The problem is bone-on-bone there," Roy said. "Dr. Roberts calls it 'arthritic knee.' It's just something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my career."

The Blazers and Roy have known his knee was grinding bone-on-bone for some time. And when it got to the point Tuesday that it caused so much swelling that Roy was rendered practically immobile against Detroit, Roy admitted he thought the worst:

Microfracture surgery.

"There was a point I thought about it, but that's a difficult thing," Roy said. "Like, when do you do it? Because it's like a six-month thing. But the good thing about Dr. Roberts is, he has dealt with both of my knees, he knows them, and he came right in and said, 'I don't think that's what we are going to do.' He said he doesn't think microfracture would help it." http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/11/blazers_insider_no_surgery_for.html

ink
11-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Looks like the pre-draft evaluations of Roy's bad knees were completely accurate and the teams that passed on him made the right move. Great player though. This must be devastating for him and the franchise. Two top draft picks, both too damaged to play to their potential.

GodsSon
11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Once again...

Blazers potential dynasty = over

Sly Guy
11-13-2010, 02:52 PM
eeeee, I never like hearing this. I know Roy's knees were predicted to be the end of his shortened career with a great deal of certainty, but I would hate to see him go so soon. Why is microfracture surgery not an option though? Microfracture surgery mimics the only time in which the body naturally creates more cartilage, so wouldn't that be the ideal solution? Any surgeons out there wanna take a stab at why not?

Dol-Fan
11-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Looks like the pre-draft evaluations of Roy's bad knees were completely accurate and the teams that passed on him made the right move. Great player though. This must be devastating for him and the franchise. Two top draft picks, both too damaged to play to their potential.

It's too bad, because it really didn't come to the forefront until the last 2 years. Knee and back problems are two injuries you can never overlook, and I guess this is a big reason why he fell in the draft.

Hellcrooner
11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
thats bad news it means his stardom frame shrinks and that he will wlak the weak line of being a t-mac or grant hill later in his career.
worst thing is he will have a lot of pain once retired.
not having meniscus is not funny

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:01 PM
It's too bad, because it really didn't come to the forefront until the last 2 years. Knee and back problems are two injuries you can never overlook, and I guess this is a big reason why he fell in the draft.

If he retired today he would still be top 3 er 4 in that draft class

ink
11-13-2010, 03:08 PM
If he retired today he would still be top 3 er 4 in that draft class

Even if that's true what consolation would that be? You can't be top of a draft class if you can't play.

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Even if that's true what consolation would that be? You can't be top of a draft class if you can't play.

Id rather have Roy play on one leg then have Morrison or Sheldon Williams who were picked ahead of him

North Yorker
11-13-2010, 03:10 PM
So... Bargnani, Alrdidge,and Gay are only good players left from the 06 lottery that could have a big impact in the future for their teams.

What a sorry draft class, glad BC at least came away with Bargs.

SeoulBeatz
11-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Damn, I feel terrible for Roy.
Hopefully he can power through this

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
So... Bargnani, Alrdidge,and Gay are only good players left from the 06 lottery that could have a big impact in the future for their teams.

What a sorry draft class, glad BC at least came away with Bargs.

I think Rondo was in that draft s well...what a steal

mrblisterdundee
11-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm a lifelong Blazer fan, and I had already guessed that we wouldn't win a championship with Roy as the franchise cornerstone, because of injuries to other players (Oden) and stiff, young competition around the league (LeBron, Durant). This just confirms it. Maybe we should have traded Roy to New Orleans for Chris Paul before the news came out. Now we'll never get any value for him. At least Roy is so talented that he can still put up around 20 points, five rebounds and five assists per game, even on grinding knees.

mrblisterdundee
11-13-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm a lifelong Blazer fan, and I had already guessed that we wouldn't win a championship with Roy as the franchise cornerstone, because of injuries to other players (Oden) and stiff, young competition around the league (LeBron, Durant). This just confirms it. Maybe we should have traded Roy to New Orleans for Chris Paul before the news came out. Now we'll never get any value for him. At least Roy is so talented that he can still put up around 20 points, five rebounds and five assists per game, even on grinding knees.

I mean when New Orleans had Darren Collinson and was actually discussing the possibility of trading Paul.

ink
11-13-2010, 03:17 PM

**** that is going to hurt. As someone who has had knee injuries I can't see how he could play at that level.

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM

hey if anyone can play on bum knees its Roy hes a tough SOB...and you guys could have got Randy Foye lol

Hunter48MVP
11-13-2010, 03:23 PM
To bad for the Blazers and Brandon Roy

nstojic
11-13-2010, 03:29 PM
:pray: thank god, we took bargnani :hide:

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:39 PM
:pray: thank god, we took bargnani :hide:

Not so sure on that one....this season was suppose to see if he could be a franchise type player.so far hes putting up points but he might be one of the least dominant 20 point scores ive ever seen

nstojic
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Not so sure on that one....this season was suppose to see if he could be a franchise type player.so far hes putting up points but he might be one of the least dominant 20 point scores ive ever seen

i was joking around... with what's left, i'd rather have rudyG

sep11ie
11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Do the Blazers even examine thier draft picks before they draft them?

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:54 PM

or Rondo..I was checking that draft class didnt know suns actually drafted him

North Yorker
11-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I think Rondo was in that draft s well...what a steal

yea I know, but he wasn't gonna go in the lottery.

nstojic
11-13-2010, 03:56 PM
or Rondo..I was checking that draft class didnt know suns actually drafted him

damn, oversight on my part.. Millsap, too but instead we had to take Tucker in the 2nd round...

imagine hitting on Millsap in the 2nd and getting Gay or Rondo with the 1st...

DerekRE_3
11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Jesus that ****ing sucks.

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 04:01 PM
damn, oversight on my part.. Millsap, too but instead we had to take Tucker in the 2nd round...

imagine hitting on Millsap in the 2nd and getting Gay or Rondo with the 1st...

As a longtime Raptor fan I cant ever remember us getting a good player in the second round...and every year there are a few,shows our scouting is not what it should be

Sactown
11-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Brandon Roy is my favorite player.. :(

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Dude will probably be in constant pain after hes done playing too...but hes a millionaire so I dont feel to bad lol

TheHoopsProphet
11-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Dude will probably be in constant pain after hes done playing too...but hes a millionaire so I dont feel to bad lol

ah man ur one of those people? i will never let a person's monetary affluence influence my sympathize for them. the elenor rigbys of this world reside in all social classes

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
ah man ur one of those people? i will never let a person's monetary affluence influence my sympathize for them. the elenor rigbys of this world reside in all social classes

Well the way I see it who's feelin bad for the construction worker or Brick layer who works 10 hours a day for little money who are always in pain as well..know what I mean. And they dont get to retire at 35.Roy has access to the best medical treatment on the planet

NYKalltheway
11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I hate it when this happens to really good players :/

TheHoopsProphet
11-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Well the way I see it who's feelin bad for the construction worker or Brick layer who works 10 hours a day for little money who are always in pain as well..know what I mean. And they dont get to retire at 35.Roy has access to the best medical treatment on the planet

Whether your Bill Gates, CEO of the Computer Revolution or Billy Johnson, register worker at blockbuster the goal is the same: feel like you've made a difference in the earth. Feel satisfied with what youve done, the feeling of leaving ur mark cant be matched (well maybe a threesome with Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie circa 2001). Its why we have kids (well that and our horny libidos making us dream of fing our gfs in the dark thinking theyre megan fox or angelina jolie circa 2001) And all the Caribbean vacations and mocha almond fudge ice cream in the world wont stop Brent Roy from pondering of what could have been in his career.

Bruno
11-13-2010, 06:42 PM
This is a sports tragedy. Hard to believe that everyone involved has come forth and said that this is just how it's gona be from here on out.

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 06:48 PM
This is a sports tragedy. Hard to believe that everyone involved has come forth and said that this is just how it's gona be from here on out.

Its weird in the piece and on TV they were like good news no surgery for Roy! doesnt sound good to me

ManRam
11-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Menisci aren't terribly important cartilaginous articulations. They pretty much are just shock absorbers and secondary stabilizers. Pretty much, the consequences of having no meniscus is regenerative problems down the road...not for years. It will just lead to osteoporosis.

This shouldn't really hamper his on the court play terribly much.

They are good for your knees, but they are definitely expendable.

John Walls Era
11-13-2010, 07:09 PM

I rather have Bargs. Rudy isn't anywhere near a max player. I would rather have Bargs + another solid player than to give Rudy a max.

John Walls Era
11-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Sucks for Roy. I actually really like his game. Its unfortunate but it looks like the worries surrounding his health before the draft was not unwarranted.

Robbw241
11-13-2010, 07:11 PM
What's with Portland and knee problems?

Chronz
11-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Do the Blazers even examine thier draft picks before they draft them?
You do realize he was THE GUY Morey wanted before trading for Battier right? Could you imagine if he ended up with Houston, it wouldve been a great run but imagine what the perception of Rocket players being brittle would be like now.

Sad when great players lose their edge, also can some of us please stop acting like stars can get by without athletic advantages. Ive seen people argue for Tim Duncan and Roy in the same way you would talk about Earl Boykins, as if they became stars purely on Intellect and Heart. Clearly not the case

nstojic
11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I rather have Bargs. Rudy isn't anywhere near a max player. I would rather have Bargs + another solid player than to give Rudy a max.

I think rudy has another level to reach and looks like he's there this season, to this point

Mplsman
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
ouch roy.

ilovemyangel
11-13-2010, 08:21 PM
No no no....injuries really rob us of 'what could have been'. I love Roy's game and this is such a shame knowing that we can never know how good he could have been

ManRam
11-13-2010, 08:43 PM
You guys act like the apocalypse has come. He can play fine. He's been playing without much of a meniscus for a while now. I seriously don't expect any drop off in play from him. His problems will come down the road...especially considering he has access to the best healthcare in the world.

He'll still make 5-7 more all stars games. This isn't a career-impacting problem. Menisci aren't essential.

Bruno
11-13-2010, 08:57 PM
You guys act like the apocalypse has come. He can play fine. He's been playing without much of a meniscus for a while now. I seriously don't expect any drop off in play from him. His problems will come down the road...especially considering he has access to the best healthcare in the world.

He'll still make 5-7 more all stars games. This isn't a career-impacting problem. Menisci aren't essential.

I dono manram- his level of play has slowly been declining since his 2008-2009 campaign. His PER has dropped 3 full points for two years straight (counting this year, through 10 games). He's already had his knee drained twice. It just doesn't feel like a good situation.

nstojic
11-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Menisci aren't essential.

Speak for yourself, I love my meniscus :love:

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Speak for yourself, I love my meniscus :love:

Ha! nice one lol

ManRam
11-13-2010, 09:38 PM
It just might be the graduate level sports science/PT major in me, but it just isn't that important. You can not have a meniscus for 10-20 years and see no adverse affects. It wills suck for Roy when he's 50-60 or so, but until then, the effects are minimal.

He might see a VERY slight drop off, but I seriously don't think it's worth completely panicking about.

He did play 35 minutes last night, and he did score 24 points.

Seriously, it isn't a major issue at all.

Blazers#1Fan
11-13-2010, 10:10 PM
It just might be the graduate level sports science/PT major in me, but it just isn't that important. You can not have a meniscus for 10-20 years and see no adverse affects. It wills suck for Roy when he's 50-60 or so, but until then, the effects are minimal.

He might see a VERY slight drop off, but I seriously don't think it's worth completely panicking about.

exactly it isn't bad for his NBA career, its bad for him after he retires. He will probably need a knee replacement when he ages and will probably need a walking cane. I think its better if he go's with a stem cell surgery this year, before he starts feeling lots of pain further in his career.

Bruno
11-13-2010, 10:41 PM

His FG% is down 5% points, his assist numbers have been cut in half from where they were at two years ago, his rebounds are down, his PER has dropped off six full points from where it was two years ago (his last full healthy season). He's had his knee drained twice since the start of the season, and everyone in blazers camp is talking about playing him less minutes. If a guy has to get his knee drained twice over a 2 and a half week period just to be able to play, I'd consider it to be a big deal.

I'm not disputing what you've learned, but I've watched four Blazer games this year, his step is not there, he's not as explosive. Even other players have noted that he's dealing with some injuries. Maybe it's not the career debilitating injury that the article implies, but his level of play is not where it use to be, so far.

goblazers7
11-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Roy just left the game in the third qaurter, another knee injury. Didn't even bump into another player. Just went around a screen and boom, he's in the locker room faster than you can say were f'd.

homestarunner93
11-13-2010, 10:55 PM

Made the right move? Please, I would rather have a kneeless Brandon Roy than Adam Morrison. I would be incredibly pleased if the Bobcats had drafted Roy.

SouthSideRookie
11-13-2010, 10:58 PM
His FG% is down 5% points, his assist numbers have been cut in half from where they were at two years ago, his rebounds are down, his PER has dropped off six full points from where it was two years ago (his last full healthy season). He's had his knee drained twice since the start of the season, and everyone in blazers camp is talking about playing him less minutes. If a guy has to get his knee drained twice over a 2 and a half week period just to be able to play, I'd consider it to be a big deal.

I'm not disputing what you've learned, but I've watched four Blazer games this year, his step is not there, he's not as explosive. Even other players have noted that he's dealing with some injuries. Maybe it's not the career debilitating injury that the article implies, but his level of play is not where it use to be, so far.

I agree. This obviously is significant. To say this will have zero impact in his career couldn't be further from the truth.

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 11:29 PM
roy just left the game in the third qaurter, another knee injury. Didn't even bump into another player. Just went around a screen and boom, he's in the locker room faster than you can say were f'd.

wow

Sadds The Gr8
11-14-2010, 01:59 AM
grinding knees sounds ****ed...gives me the shivers

shep33
11-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Damn... feel bad for the Blazers. They're just unlucky... Give Roy props, he's still a great player.