PDA

View Full Version : Cousins and Evans causing locker-room problems for Kings?

GodsSon
11-13-2010, 02:40 PM
That's premature, as I see it, especially since a source close to Cousins tells FanHouse that these tales of controversy inspired three top-tier teams to inquire about his availability in recent days rather than feel vindicated for their supposed fear. The former Kentucky big man who was taken fifth in the June draft and who has a reputation for volatility did indeed receive a $5,000 fine approximately a month ago, when -- as sources close to the team told FanHouse -- he essentially barked too loud and too unprofessionally at the team's strength coach, Daniel Shapiro, over a matter of personal fitness.

The sources say this came just days after the team's patience level had already been tested, as Cousins and assistant coach Truck Robinson -- the former player whose charge is to work with the team's big men -- had a loud, pride-filled and brief disagreement during practice. The more recent and relevant development came on Wednesday night, when Cousins' frustrations reached a new high at halftime of the Kings' home game against Minnesota.

Kings coach Paul Westphal, according to the sources, targeted the rookie in his halftime discussion with the team and largely blamed his selfishness for the team's 51-45 deficit. Cousins, in turn, was left shaking his head at what he deemed an effort to use him as a scapegoat for the night.

From this vantage point, it's déjà vu all over again for Westphal, a trend he really must find a way to bring to an end.

Put simply, and I'm speaking from experience here, teammates of Tyreke Evans don't take kindly to the finger-pointing when so many feel the finger isn't pointed his way nearly enough.

For all of Evans' dynamic talents and incredible skill, he remains a polarizing figure in-house because of the way he has been handled since coming on the scene last season. He was pitched as a point guard, then subsequently gained a reputation among scouts, front-office and coaching types as someone who -- no matter how many times he toes the company line -- only passes if he has to most of the time.

In terms of the Xs and Os, Evans' sixth foul against the Timberwolves on Wednesday said everything about why his teammates so often scratch their heads and the collective frustration builds, as he ran the break alone (which says plenty on its own) and barreled into three defenders before the accurately-called charge put him out of action with 9:02 remaining. Simple plays like those, or the countless times when Evans doesn't reward the teammates who run with him for their efforts, are at the root of a problem that Westphal must solve.

The challenge with Evans is that he's the polar-opposite of Cousins in terms of personality, quieter and far less prone to blow a fuse but equally capable of ignoring his coach with a far less fine-able style. There are reports out of practice that Westphal has grown more stern with Evans, getting on him hard when his fingers are too sticky and sending the sort of messages that weren't sent early on last season. The next step is doing it in the games, when even the most casual NBA observers look at the screen and wonder why the offense is being so shoddily run.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/11/12/kings-deny-growing-issues-with-demarcus-cousins-tyreke-evans/

GodsSon
11-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Marc Stein had this to say as well...

One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Cousins was fined recently for clashing with members of Westphal's staff. I've also been advised that it's not one-and-done as far as such clashes go, which has created a level of tension that -- anticipated or not -- obviously isn't what the Kings need when they're already operating at such an experience deficit on top of their serious defensive frailties.

No one doubts the potential possessed by the Kings' precocious tag team of Cousins and Tyreke Evans. But as one veteran scout warned me during summer league in Las Vegas, when tales and hints of Cousins' volatility and immaturity spread quickly: "It's always risky to have two young divas on the same team."

Didn't take long for the Kings to find out.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101112-14/testing-early-trade-winds

alencp3
11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
What happened to Whiteside why doesnt he get any playing time?

alencp3
11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Evans seems like a nice dude to me

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 03:02 PM
It can't be said enough. There is a reason Cousins fell that far. As for Evans, I agree, he tends to pass only when he has no choice, but I don't ever get a sense of him being a diva. That being said, I don't watch but 10-15 Kings games a year, so I don't know a ton about him.

topdog
11-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Evans seems like a nice dude to me

It's not about whether he's not or not. He needs to learn to reward teammates as the leader (which a point guard is supposed to be) - that builds cohesiveness and trust. And to learn to pass, especially when the other team is focusing on him - don't disrespect your teammates by trying to do it alone.

What happened to Whiteside why doesnt he get any playing time?

From all reports i've heard, he is not at ready for the NBA level. He's like the Ndi Ebi of 2010. lol

Nice find GodsSon

Hunter48MVP
11-13-2010, 03:19 PM
This is bad for the Kings

sacgiants1213
11-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm more concerned about Westphal and his ******** rotations than the Cousins/Evans duo.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Whiteside has a beast a..s..s name

Chicagofaithful
11-13-2010, 04:05 PM
the kings should ship them out for chauncey and melo lol

DerekRE_3
11-13-2010, 04:06 PM
It can't be said enough. There is a reason Cousins fell that far. As for Evans, I agree, he tends to pass only when he has no choice, but I don't ever get a sense of him being a diva. That being said, I don't watch but 10-15 Kings games a year, so I don't know a ton about him.

If Evans is a diva, he's the quietest diva I've ever seen. As far as him passing, he's been a lot better at passing the ball this year. Honestly I think the problem with the Kings is coaching at this point.

Sactown
11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Evans isn't a diva and he averages like 6 assists again.. frustration is building because the random playing time/rotations and cousins is fouling out to often to get any substantial minutes which is probably frustrating him.. also I hear the fine was for arguing with the fitness couch?? which was probably over his weight.. honestly the kings are all getting frustrated for the losses that everyone including themselves thought they would win. The random rotations are frustrating me too and I'm not even on the team so I can't imagine it's easy for the players either.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
If Evans is a diva, he's the quietest diva I've ever seen. As far as him passing, he's been a lot better at passing the ball this year. Honestly I think the problem with the Kings is coaching at this point.

that is what I mean. Where does that come from?
His assist rating has barely gone up, and his turnover rate has gone up with it, so his passing is no better. I have only watched 3 games, one of which was that worthless game he had against us, but he looks like the same old Reke. Pound it until forced to pass.

TheHoopsProphet
11-13-2010, 04:17 PM
You callin my boi Ted Evans a diva? Marc Stein's a fat-headed douche whose reason for existance is to suck the fat, girthy cocks of the corporate elites, Evans is a free-spirited talent that can speed through freeways and drive through passing lanes and make behind the legs assists and over the head dunks and lateral moves so ill that everytime he drives to the hole a kid somewhere gets tuberculosis. All the orange juice in the world wont stop my man from becoming a perennial all-star!

And Kings knew the Marcus Cousins guy was gonna be hard-headed, why is this news? Let the baby have his bottle and start him, and sit back and watch the dynamic duo tango across the universe and vault themselves through the pantheon of greatness only Bill Russell and Zeus knows of.

oh yea,

**** MARC STEIN! AND **** DA POE-LEASE!

Sactown
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
that is what I mean. Where does that come from?
His assist rating has barely gone up, and his turnover rate has gone up with it, so his passing is no better. I have only watched 3 games, one of which was that worthless game he had against us, but he looks like the same old Reke. Pound it until forced to pass.

Turnovers will go down once everyone gets use to each other. As far as the passing until forced, he was the only consistent scoring talent last season so we needed him to score. PW is having him pass much more often now and is yelling at him during practice lately and that is why the past two games his assist totals have been at 9 per game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tyreke turn into a 20/10/6 guy

Giants27
11-13-2010, 04:25 PM
I was watching the Lakers-Kings game last week and notice Cousins complaning on every foul called against him and then talking some smack to Odom.

Sactown
11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I was watching the Lakers-Kings game last week and notice Cousins complaning on every foul called against him and then talking some smack to Odom.

Complaining** Are you sure you weren't watching Pau and Kobe? They're the complainers

Rafer17
11-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Damn...They could be a contender once they figure there **** out. Tyreke has the potential to be a top 5 guard while DC can be a top 5 center...They play gritty ball they just have to work together..

Needless to say there exciting to watch

Demon11
11-13-2010, 05:27 PM

LOL Dude... Gasol puts his hands up after EVERY shot. Pot meet kettle.

Catfish1314
11-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Exactly. The "diva" assessment threw me off a little bit because he's anything but a diva. Cousins I understand.

I didn't see any quotes from anyone in those excerpts and this happened a few years ago with Ron Artest and Mike Bibby. Nothing was ever proven or admitted to and there never seemed to be any real problem. Smells like speculation to me.

Catfish1314
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM

Literally 99 percent of players in the NBA complain for just about every foul called against them. Even the great ones. Kobe and Duncan are horribly notorious for it.

And almost as many of them talk some serious trash every game. I don't see your point.

Kashmir13579
11-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Save da kings

Blazers#1Fan
11-13-2010, 06:43 PM
new coach Time i watch kings games his rotating is ******** bring in Ewing as the head coach he can give the players somebody to look up to and the guy has been assistant to both van gundys and look what he did for YAO and D.Howard

FarOutIos
11-13-2010, 06:53 PM
This is pretty funny. Everyone's getting their panties all bunched up over a rookie and a second year player having growing pains on a team with several new additions.

It's gonna happen.

I see Cousins long term as a Webber type. He'll start off with some attitude issues, then he will mature into a great team leader. It's his conditioning that has me concerned.

jmtapia
11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
cant wait for the moment that Evans and Cousins could be on the court for 35+ mins. Kings are bringing along Cousins a lot slower then Evans. Mostly bc of Cousins foul troubles and conditioning. However, with time those two factors should start to eliminate. Kings needs another wing player that could guard other teams best wing player.

DerekRE_3
11-14-2010, 12:57 PM
1) The fine that Cousins got happened a month ago.

2) He's 20. Is he immature? Yes. Does he need to know when to talk and when to shut up? Yes.

3) Is him getting fined for barking at coaches when he disagreed with them going to define his career? No.

4) With DMC's history, this stuff is going to always get blown out of proportion.

5) The Kings are a very young team, there are going to be bumps in the road. There is no reason to jump off a bridge because a team expected to win 30-35 games has started off the season 3-5.

6) All of these stories are rumors from unnamed sources. They are written by national writers who report most likely a thousand miles away or more from the Kings.

Here is what someone who covers the Kings every practice had to say about this:

For what it is worth, I have seen him in the practice facility every day the Kings have held practice for the last six weeks and I have not seen DeMarcus Cousins have an issue with anyone of his teammates or coaches. There are plenty of times where we are not allowed to see the team in action but I have yet to see residual effects of an altercation when we are allowed in.
Source (http://hardcourtmayhem.com/kings/?p=1865)

Here's what another Sacramento reporter had to say about Cousins and his play since coming off the bench:

The 6-foot-11 Cousins is precocious. And he's a load both emotionally and physically. But the Kings knew that when they drafted him. Every possession is a passion play, every sighting a theatrical appearance. He frowns. He grins. He talks to the refs. He throws up his hands.

Yet to his credit, the No. 5 overall draft pick works hard on his conditioning and stays late after practice. He also has a sense of humor and a sense of grace, both of which he displayed when veteran Samuel Dalembert recovered from his thigh injury and replaced him in the starting lineup.

"I've got a lot of learning to do," Cousins said Saturday. "It's a process. First off, I need to play with a lot more energy, just got to pick it up. (Offensively) I get anxious. I have to slow down a lot. Let the game come to me. I try to force it sometimes, especially when I'm not playing a lot of minutes, not touching the ball."
Source (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/11/14/3183828/ailene-voisin-cousins-isnt-the.html)

Cousins is not close to a finished product (The Kings are not a finished product). He needs to continue to get into better shape. He needs to mature. He needs to figure out how the NBA works. The guy has played 8 games and so far he's still averaging 11 points and 6 boars a game in pretty limited minutes. When he figures it out, it's going to be scary.

Meaze_Gibson
11-14-2010, 01:19 PM
I've seen Evans make passes this year that last year he couldn't make. Defensively Evans is top notch and just an overall good player. He takes 16 shots a game and everybody else who gets minutes fgas are up from last year. It really does sound like a lot of speculation.

DerekRE_3
11-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I've seen Evans make passes this year that last year he couldn't make. Defensively Evans is top notch and just an overall good player. He takes 16 shots a game and everybody else who gets minutes fgas are up from last year. It really does sound like a lot of speculation.

Eh his defense has been average at best this year. His post defense is awesome, but he's lazy in pick and rolls.

zambo4president
11-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Demarcus, Dalembert, Udrih and a Pick for Melo. Like Melo would wanna go to Sactown anyways:laugh2:

samevans7
11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Bradley, West, 2011 1st, 2012 1st, 2014 1st for Tyreke? Come on Ainge!

DerekRE_3
11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Demarcus, Dalembert, Udrih and a Pick for Melo. Like Melo would wanna go to Sactown anyways:laugh2:

Like the Kings would want a one year rental anyways.

PC
11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
DeMarcus Cousins was kicked out of practice today. Westphal didn't elaborate as to why #nbakings
Source (http://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/9366438112403456)

CityofTreez
11-29-2010, 06:54 PM
let the trade proposals ensue...........i'll take everyone of them into consideration

SpeeMN
11-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Johnny Flynn for Cousins

JayW_1023
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
The Heat could've made a trade for Dampiers younger self, DeMarcus Cousins.

AddiX
11-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm so tired of players like Cousins. It's the same old story.

They been "the man" there whole life. Everyone talked them up and was there best friend. Than they get in the league and take it for granted. They think they can do what they want because they always have in the past.

And now they are surrounded by players and coaches who don't give a crap about how good they are demand them to do things they didn't do in the past.

And than they rebel and blame everyone else.

One day teams will really start to take personality a lot more serious when picking who will be the core of there teams.

EWOR
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm so tired of players like Cousins. It's the same old story.

They been "the man" there whole life. Everyone talked them up and was there best friend. Than they get in the league and take it for granted. They think they can do what they want because they always have in the past.

And now they are surrounded by players and coaches who don't give a crap about how good they are demand them to do things they didn't do in the past.

And than they rebel and blame everyone else.

One day teams will really start to take personality a lot more serious when picking who will be the core of there teams.

Well said.

Cousins came into college with an entourage who had been in his ear since he transferred out of Erwin High School in Birmingham. If you dont know the story as to why Cousins transferred from there, it is because he beat up a faculty member(who worked in the principal's office) after an argument about him skipping classes.

Then you add in his handlers like World Wide Wes and the other shady people around him telling him what he should do and you have an immature kid who has never had to work for anything up until now.

World Wide Wes didnt want him in Sacramento to begin with. So its not surprising that Cousins has acted this way. They even hired his HS coach, but you can't babysit a grown man.

JayW_1023
11-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I am happy Cousins came. Someone has to bear the torch Sheed left.

The new Mr. T.

EWOR
11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I am happy Cousins came. Someone has to bear the torch Sheed left.

The new Mr. T.

Sheed is one of the biggest wastes of talent in NBA History. He had Hall of Fame talent but weed & laziness ruined what could've been.

Cousins hasn't even accomplished anything Sheed did as a player. We've seen immature C's come into the league and end up irrelevant over time: Kwame, Curry, Darko, etc going back into the 80's and 90's.

Infamous916
11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Oh my god Cousins is 20 years old & he is immature!

I love how the media & fans love to speculate about things they know nothing about.

Oh well ignorance is bliss!

bringinwood
11-29-2010, 08:18 PM

I love how the media & fans love to speculate about things they know nothing about.

I'll give you that Cousins is immature...

However, when a guy like Tyreke is barking along with Cousins, there is something to it...

Westphal is already losing this team... I hope he gets shitcanned because this team is very young, talented, and could do some damage in the west...

I would hate to think that Westphal is the reason these guys don't make the playoffs...

CityofTreez
11-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I would hate to think that Westphal is the reason these guys don't make the playoffs...

We were never going to make playoffs. Too many people had too high of expectations for this team. This team has a LONG ways to go until they sniff the playoffs!

Phxtoday
11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
You callin my boi Ted Evans a diva? Marc Stein's a fat-headed douche whose reason for existance is to suck the fat, girthy cocks of the corporate elites, Evans is a free-spirited talent that can speed through freeways and drive through passing lanes and make behind the legs assists and over the head dunks and lateral moves so ill that everytime he drives to the hole a kid somewhere gets tuberculosis. All the orange juice in the world wont stop my man from becoming a perennial all-star!

And Kings knew the Marcus Cousins guy was gonna be hard-headed, why is this news? Let the baby have his bottle and start him, and sit back and watch the dynamic duo tango across the universe and vault themselves through the pantheon of greatness only Bill Russell and Zeus knows of.

oh yea,

Wow, just wow.. :facepalm:

Slimsim
11-29-2010, 08:41 PM
let the trade proposals ensue...........i'll take everyone of them into consideration

Anthony Randolph for Cousins ?

arkanian215
11-29-2010, 08:45 PM

Why hasn't Randolph seen more minutes this season? Is he carrying and injury? Or is he getting Nellied?

Infamous916
11-29-2010, 08:46 PM

How about Cousins & Tyreke for Randolph? oh wait not fair enough lets just throw in casspi for that cherry on top?

Slimsim
11-29-2010, 09:09 PM
How about Cousins & Tyreke for Randolph? oh wait not fair enough lets just throw in casspi for that cherry on top?

i'll throw in chandler gallo and mike D

Slimsim
11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Why hasn't Randolph seen more minutes this season? Is he carrying and injury? Or is he getting Nellied?

Mike D has a set rotation and has not change since the winning streak

central2003
11-29-2010, 09:18 PM
People and esp the media know what kind of scary team the Kings can be in like 2 years with Evans and Cousins. People like that Mother ******* world wide west do not want to see a rising Kings so they would much instigate and create controversy, so people can be like oh they are not doing good they will be traded and broken apart. If anything happens it will be some trades (not including Evans and Cousins) and maybe the firing of coach P-west but that is about it.

Hindy27
11-29-2010, 09:58 PM

lol
Clearly you have no idea what this term means, while at the same time showing that you are the epitome of it.

People that are commenting on the issue obviously aren't 'ignoring' it, whereas you are.

DerekRE_3 will have to tell us it's all getting blown out of proportion, yet again. Actually I was wrong, he is the epitome of 'ignorance is bliss'.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2010, 10:02 PM

for sure. You need to throw in Landry and a 1st rounder.....

I feel for you Sac fans having to defend this crap, when we know Westphal is for sure gone before Cousins

IAmKira
11-29-2010, 10:22 PM

oh yea,

please write a nba book :laugh2:

JayW_1023
11-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Why would you want to trade Fields (the better rookie) for DeMarcus Cousins?

Trouble87
11-30-2010, 05:43 AM
talent is talent

find a coach that can deal with their egos and maximize their talent

Sactown
11-30-2010, 10:45 AM
talent is talent

find a coach that can deal with their egos and maximize their talent

Atleast a coach who can play a set rotation