PDA

View Full Version : Slam: Five Teams That Could Use Steve Nash

D Roses Bulls
11-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Steve Nash’s name has popped up in trade rumors recently. Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry adamantly denies the notion, as he rightfully should. It appears to be nothing more than Steve Nash speculation at this point, but Phoenix should seriously consider the possibility.

It’s hard to picture Phoenix’s floor general wearing anything but purple and orange, but pretty soon the sun may inevitably set.

Analysts and fans alike overvalued the strength of the Suns’ current roster at the start of the season. While they’ll be fairly competitive in the West, it’s obvious that they’re nothing more than a slightly above-average team looking to squeeze into a playoff spot.

Phoenix’s owner, Robert Sarver, is known to be frugal. It makes sense for the Suns to trade Steve now while his stock is still high. Phoenix can still get a lot in return for the veteran guard and they should strike while the iron is still hot. Nash is at the tail end of his career and it may be time to retool the roster and start with a clean slate.

In any case, Phoenix would clearly look out for the franchise first. The organization will be looking for young players, draft picks and expiring contracts.

However, it would be difficult to imagine the Suns dumping Nash onto a bottom-dwelling team in any potential deal. After all, Nash gave six years of loyal service without so much as a single complaint.

There are well over a dozen teams that could use his services, but only a few that could make some serious noise in their respective conferences with Nash at the helm.

1. Orlando Magic

Give: Jameer Nelson, Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, First-Round draft pick(s)

Get: Steve Nash, Grant Hill, Hedo Turkoglu

With Nash running the point, it would make an already strong Magic team into potential favorites in the Eastern Conference.

If Amar’e and Nash were able to tear through opposing defenses in the pick-and-roll, imagine what Nash could do with Dwight Howard.

Vince Carter may not be the offensive juggernaut he used to be, but Nash could revive some of that magic (no pun intended) that Vince had with Jason Kidd. Alley-oops would certainly become a bigger part of Orlando’s attack. Also, taking the ball out of Vince’s hands should only help the Magic offense become more efficient.

Jameer Nelson is a solid point, but his best days appear to be behind him already. The Magic supposedly tried to trade him away this summer, so they’re clearly not very high on him. Nelson possesses more of a scorer’s mentality as opposed to being a distributor and it may be time for Orlando to move towards a more traditional starting unit.

Nash is not only a more complete distributor than Jameer, but his superior shooting touch and ball handling abilities make him even more dangerous as a scorer. He’s an upgrade in nearly every facet.

As far as Steve Nash’s horrendous defense, Dwight Howard would be able to pick up the slack on the back end.

Of course, any deal for Nash would likely bring along with him the baggage of Hedo Turkoglu’s massive contract. What better place for Hedo to go to than the very team he had his most successful years with?

Hedo played extremely well in tandem with Dwight Howard. The Turkoglu to Howard post-entry pass was their specialty, and with Dwight’s burgeoning offensive arsenal, it can only improve.

Grant Hill is on his final legs and Orlando would be sure to welcome him back with open arms. Hill brings a veteran and leadership presence that the Magic sorely lack. As the consummate professional, it would also only be fair to trade Hill from a team in rebuilding mode for another shot at a title.

Marcin Gortat has made no secret of his dissatisfaction with the Magic. He’s unhappy with his role and playing time, and trading him to the Suns would take care of that. Gortat is an overpaid backup and he could make for a strong defensive presence in combination with Robin Lopez on the Suns.

Michael Pietrus is a solid wing. Given enough playing time, he’s still capable of being a difference maker. In the final year of his contract, the Suns can either cut ties and take the financial relief, or extend him at a reasonable price.

Of all the potential destinations, the Magic would be the best fit for Nash.

2. Atlanta Hawks

Give: Jamal Crawford, Jeff Teague, Mike Bibby, First-Round draft pick(s)

Get: Steve Nash, Hedo Turkoglu

In the ‘05 NBA Draft, the Hawks had the second overall pick. Instead of selecting a point guard, like they should have, Atlanta opted to pass up on the two current best point guards in the league for Marvin Williams.

Clearly a colossal mistake.

The Hawks have had to make do with Mike Bibby the past few years, and while he’s had some success in the role, he was never the answer. Bibby isn’t really any better in the defensive department, so Nash’s biggest weakness wouldn’t be a far cry from what they get at the position now.

With Nash in command, the Hawks go from another first or second round exit to potential Eastern Conference finalists.

Atlanta was the talk of the town after winning their first six games, but they have since come back down to Earth having lost three straight. It appears that they are who we thought they were prior to the start of the season.

The Nash to Josh Smith pick-and-roll would be just as devastating as it was with Amar’e flanking him. Smith would be in line for a career year with Steve being able to take full advantage of Smith’s freakish athletic gifts.

Joe Johnson already played with Nash in Phoenix years ago, and they should have no trouble picking up right where they left off. Plus, it would take the ball out of Joe’s hands and free him up to concentrate on scoring as opposed to distributing.

Jamal Crawford is not happy with his standing in the organization and it’s clear that now is the time to move him. Atlanta can’t afford to extend him, and the team would get nothing in return if they held onto him past the February trade deadline. Crawford can still play at a high level with his prolific scoring abilities and wicked shake-and-bake move.

Jeff Teague has a lot of potential. He’s reminiscent of an all-time Phoenix Suns great, Kevin Johnson. While his play-making abilities aren’t really comparable, he could still develop them at the NBA level. Teague fits in perfectly with Alvin Gentry’s uptempo offense and he could really excel in Phoenix.

Atlanta’s roster is built to succeed now. They have some strong complimentary pieces in place for Nash and this would make the Eastern Conference that much more competitive.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder

Give: James Harden (or Jeff Green), Morris Peterson, Eric Maynor (or draft pick)

Get: Steve Nash

The Thunder are in the midst of a full-on youth movement, and they greatly exceeded expectations last season. Not many anticipated Oklahoma getting into the playoffs last year, but they were the surprise team of the NBA and they even gave the reigning champs fits along the way.

However, the bar has been significantly raised this year and they haven’t lived up to their preseason billing in the early going. The Thunder’s 8th ranked defensive efficiency has dropped to 23rd this year, and their offensive efficiency has gone from 12th to 18th.

Bringing Steve Nash over to the Thunder would inject some life back into their offense. While the defense certainly won’t improve, their offense should be able to finally reach its full potential with Nash as the primary distributor.

Russell Westbrook has exploded in the first three weeks of action, but the Thunder have had their ups and downs. Westbrook may be labeled as a point guard, but he’s easily capable of sliding over to the two. In fact, it may even open up his offensive game further.

Nash and Westbrook are also perfectly capable of playing off the ball, so it’s not so far-fetched that they share play-making duties. Nash’s premier shooting abilities would also stretch the floor and give Westbrook and Durant plenty of room to work their man in isolation.

Without Nash, the Suns go into full-on rebuilding mode, and they would get back a promising young player in any trade with Oklahoma City. The Thunder are stacked with young talent and Phoenix would potentially have their pick between James Harden and Jeff Green.

Jeff Green, like Russell Westbrook, is playing at an extremely high level. The Thunder didn’t offer him an extension, so he may not be in their future plans. With Serge Ibaka playing so well off the bench, it may make more sense to trade Green now and move Ibaka into the PF position. That would certainly help the defensive issues the Thunder have had in the early going.

James Harden has only flashed spurts of potential thus far. Between Harden and Green, Harden has higher upside, and he only needs an opportunity to prove his worth. In the run-and-gun system in Phoenix, Harden will have every chance to show off his talent.

Eric Maynor would likely fill-in as backup point guard. Goran Dragic is ready to break out and Maynor should be able to compliment him well. Maynor may even be the long-term answer at the point for Phoenix.

A move for Nash would seem counter-intuitive with what the Thunder organization has done in the past few years, but it makes their dream of winning a title, sooner rather than later, a closer reality.

4. Charlotte Bobcats

Give: D.J. Augustin, Gerald Henderson, Nazr Mohammed, Boris Diaw, First-Round draft pick(s)

Get: Steve Nash, Hedo Turkoglu

At first glance, picturing Nash on the Bobcats doesn’t exactly inspire a lot of confidence.

However, Charlotte has a roster fairly reminiscent of an older Suns team. Gerald Wallace takes the place of Shawn Marion, Tyrus Thomas has the athletic ability to match Amar’e Stoudemire and Stephen Jackson is a hybrid of Joe Johnson and Raja Bell.

Charlotte may not be a title favorite with this roster, but they would certainly be a dangerous team to contend with.

The Suns get back a promising young guard in D.J. Augustin, and while Gerald Henderson may be a project, he still has some upside.

With Phoenix looking for some financial relief, Nazr Mohammed has a nice expiring contract and Diaw’s contract is far easier to swallow when compared to Turkoglu.

Boris Diaw could also replicate some of his more successful years back in a free-flowing, uptempo offense. Diaw’s play-making abilities would also help to relieve the burden off the young point guards on the roster.

Both Larry Brown and Steve Nash would have to make adjustments, but there’s no reason to think that they wouldn’t be able to work together to bring some success to Charlotte.

5. New York Knicks

Give: Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler (or Anthony Randolph/Danilo Gallinari), First-Round draft pick(s)

Get: Steve Nash

Raymond Felton is quietly off to the best start of his career. As he develops better chemistry with his teammates, he should only improve. Even so, the Knicks are, at best, a 7th or 8th seed in the Eastern Conference.

New York would turn into the Phoenix Suns of the East if Nash were to be reunited with D’Antoni and Amar’e. The experiment didn’t work before (two Western Conference Finals, but no championship), but the X-Factor in making it work now would be bringing Carmelo Anthony into the mix.

Even the thought of prying Steve Nash away would be contingent on the Knicks’ ability to land Carmelo Anthony via trade or free agency next summer. If a trade for Nash hurts their chances in the ‘Melo sweepstakes, than it simply is not worth the risk.

Steve should have no issues adapting to his new teammates in New York as he can run D’Antoni’s offense to near perfection. He already has an incredibly strong bond with Amar’e Stoudemire, and they should have no problems wreaking havoc in the East.

Nash is one of the rare players that can elevate the play of all the players around him. The Knicks could really use a kick-start and who better to do it than Steve Nash.

New York would sorely miss Felton’s defensive abilities at the point, but Toney Douglas is capable of filling that void and the offensive boost should more than make up for the defensive dearth.

Wilson Chandler is having a breakout year and the Knicks appear to be focused on trying to get Carmelo first, and extending Chandler only if they’re unable to attain Anthony.

If the Suns aren’t in love with the idea of getting Chandler, they can have their pick between Danilo Gallinari and Anthony Randolph.

Gallinari would make a seamless transition over to Phoenix and the Suns organization seems to covet Anthony Randolph. After all, the Suns did almost trade for Randolph in a package deal for Amar’e Stoudemire.

Most Knicks’ fans (myself included) don’t like the idea of trading away Raymond Felton in a deal for Steve Nash, but it may be the solution to the New York’s woes. While only a short-term solution, Amar’e isn’t getting any younger and it won’t be long before he’s on a serious decline. Nash also makes New York a much more attractive destination for upcoming free agents (i.e. Carmelo Anthony).

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/11/five-teams-that-could-use-steve-nash/2/

Storch
11-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I would LOVE to see hedo and nash go to orlando. That would be legit. I know that Lewis' contract is HUGE, but he may be a good fit in the Suns, redick as well!

Suns: Dragic, Richardson (redick), Pietrus, Lewis, Gortat (Lopez)

Magic: Nash, Carter, Turk, Howard, Bass. NICE.

D Roses Bulls
11-12-2010, 08:06 PM
I would LOVE to see hedo and nash go to orlando. That would be legit. I know that Lewis' contract is HUGE, but he may be a good fit in the Suns, redick as well!

im torn on that one. i think it could be good, but i just dont know and for how long.

PrettyBoyJ
11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Nash to Orlando sounds good.. I could see them going far with him in that line up

D Roses Bulls
11-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I was kind of surprised to oklahoma on this list.

Cubsfan365
11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
The writer mentions Westbrook sliding to SG if Nash went to OKC. Not saying it is the best idea, but hypothetically D-Rose could do the same thing. This would give the Bulls Nash, Rose, Deng, Boozer, Noah.

HouRealCoach
11-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Dwight, Nash, VC, Hedo, Lewis, Hill, Redick, Bass??

Scary

NYKalltheway
11-12-2010, 09:50 PM
If he goes to the Magic it would be an amazing team. Don't really want him at the Knicks. Felton can improve, not to Nash's level of course, but at least by the time we may go for a superstar PG in 2012 (CP3 or Deron), Nash would not be competent enough and Felton could be where Nash is at the moment...

I don't think the deal they are suggesting for the Hawks seems good for them.

D Roses Bulls
11-12-2010, 10:32 PM
damnit im starting to like it some more for the magic, but hedo? i dont know bout him again

IAmKira
11-12-2010, 11:27 PM
1st 3 scenarios made by whoever wrote that article was just ********. Seriously? Nash, Hedo and Hill going to Magics for Nelson and trash? Wth does Suns even have left? Richardson and nelson? You call that rebuilding? Good luck wif that.. and then the bobcat one? Wow even worst. Also the OKC just top all of them.

black1605
11-13-2010, 12:04 AM
I can think of about 27 teams that could use Nash.

TylerSL
11-13-2010, 12:21 AM
I can think of about 27 teams that could use Nash.

I can think of 32 teams that Nash would help

NYKalltheway
11-13-2010, 01:23 AM

If you put it that way, make that 180 :)

Legitimate
11-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Any team in the nba could use steve nash..lol..

Jeff559
11-13-2010, 02:04 AM
the new york trade is the only one that would make sense. the others are ******** for the suns.

Sadds The Gr8
11-13-2010, 02:06 AM
1) Toronto Raptors
2) T-Dot
3) Raps
4) Toronto Huskies
5) That team from Canada

Sadds The Gr8
11-13-2010, 02:21 AM
lol wtf? ^^

Blazers23
11-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Almost all those trades are completely crazy! The bobcats would give up their entire starting 5 team to get 1 player it would be exactly the same situation for nash only with a different jersey. The magic trade isn't good enought for the Suns...The hawks deal is a little interesting though Young future Point in teague, point for now in bibby, a pure shooter in Crawford and a first round pick. Not bad.

D Roses Bulls
11-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Any team in the nba could use steve nash..lol..

not the bulls,hornets,jazz, and celtics :)

GREATNESS ONE
11-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Nash is waaaayyy tooo old for any team to give A LOT. 1ST ROUND PICKS and a talented player or two should be more than enough. Saying that....

Orlando and Atlanta would be absolutely NASTY with Nash.

black1605
11-13-2010, 02:54 AM

There are 30 teams in the NBA, who are the other 2?

GREATNESS ONE
11-13-2010, 02:59 AM
There are 30 teams in the NBA, who are the other 2?

bahaahahahaahaha he meant football

Robbw241
11-13-2010, 03:02 AM
bahaahahahaahaha he meant football

Steve Nash would get killed in football.

Guru™
11-13-2010, 03:05 AM
I really don't think the Thunder belong on that list. Obviously they could use Nash, but Westbrook is the future of that team at the PG spot. They are young and have time to improve. Also, some of the trades the writer proposes simply don't make sense for the Suns. Decent list for the most part but it is a flawed article for sure.

5ass
11-13-2010, 03:13 AM
Steve Nash would get killed in football.

i think he meant soccer

Hunter48MVP
11-13-2010, 04:19 AM
Magic makes the most sense. Don't know why Thunder was on the list instead of the Blazers

Kakaroach
11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I watched the Jazz-Hawks game last night and Atlanta really needs a good PG if they wanna be contenders. Joe Johnson running down the clock just leads to bad plays with low % shots. Now think about Nash on the Hawks. Wow.

braveniler58
11-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Here's a team that could use Nash: Suns.

SluggeR
11-13-2010, 01:25 PM
He got the teams right, except the thunder and the bobcats and he was off on the trade ideas.

ManRam
11-13-2010, 01:30 PM
The Magic need a go-to wing scorer, not a passing PG. He'd work amazingly well in Orlando because he's a great shooter...but Nelson is fine considering how we run our offense. Our lack of a go-to scorer is the most pressing issue. If Otis and company look to make a big splash, I hope they explore the SG/SF market first.

Bank$23
11-13-2010, 02:01 PM
wtf OKC?

ink
11-13-2010, 02:13 PM

I only saw a few early games in the season but I didn't see any chemistry between Nash and Hedo. Not so sure if this is a good fit at all.

ink
11-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Nash re-united with Joe Johnson in Atlanta could be good.

Rafer17
11-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Imagine Nash on Orlando. Alleyoop festival. Not to mention they compliment each other amazingly.

They would easily be a top 2 team in the league. Probably #1

STAT1
11-13-2010, 02:28 PM
The only way I trade Nash is if Robert Sarver is in the trade.

homestarunner93
11-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Hell, I would love to have him in Charlotte. I don't see any chance of that happening, though.

xbrackattackx
11-13-2010, 02:55 PM
not the bulls,hornets,jazz, and celtics :)

Wrong....

You could move Rose to the SG since you guys need one of starting quality and Nash could run point..

Nash
Rose
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Yea that would be a nice lineup.

ramsizzle
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Wrong....

You could move Rose to the SG since you guys need one of starting quality and Nash could run point..

Nash
Rose
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Yea that would be a nice lineup.

d rose is avg. 23 and 10 and is a better player than nash....he isnt great off the ball....that idea is literally terrible...id rather get a shooter at the 2 guard spot.

ManRam
11-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Nash to the Bulls would be dumb. Moving Rose to the 2 would be a waste.

xbrackattackx
11-13-2010, 03:29 PM
d rose is avg. 23 and 10 and is a better player than nash....he isnt great off the ball....that idea is literally terrible...id rather get a shooter at the 2 guard spot.

Whatever don't agree with me, It was a suggestion I made, Which was the right one. But cool story bro, Have fun with a first round exit with Rose leading the Combat! Nash would lead a team like that right to the East Coast Finals. He would Make Noah and Boozer unstoppable with his passing and facilitating. Something shoot first PG's cant do. And the D-rose is better then Nash thing made me laugh. Being able to score doesn't make you better not at the PG position your job is to set up the offense.

Thanks for that.

xbrackattackx
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Nash to the Bulls would be dumb. Moving Rose to the 2 would be a waste.

I didn't mean permanently Nash starts play some then D-rose takes over. Nash would be worth his little contract just to have as a mentor for rose for one or two years.

dsickich123
11-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I dono about the Thunder proposal.

Part of me likes the trade, Steve Nash would help, but with his age, I do not believe that Sam Presti would deal for him...

He is all about looking towards the future and being patient.

He would rather watch his young talent develop. And I dont think Westbrook is moving anywhere. He has proven more than capable.

effen5
11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I didn't mean permanently Nash starts play some then D-rose takes over. Nash would be worth his little contract just to have as a mentor for rose for one or two years.

Yeah, we'll use him like Lindsey Hunter.

iggypop123
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
atl seems realistic and sounds awesome

ramsizzle
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Whatever don't agree with me, It was a suggestion I made, Which was the right one. But cool story bro, Have fun with a first round exit with Rose leading the Combat! Nash would lead a team like that right to the East Coast Finals. He would Make Noah and Boozer unstoppable with hiees passing and facilitating. Something shoot first PG's cant do. And the D-rose is better then NEash thing made me laugh. Being able to score doesn't make you better not at the PG position your job is to set up the offense.

Thanks for that.

Cool story bro? Nash couldn't lead a team with stat Joe johnson Qrich etc to a championship. And yes rose is better he's avg more PTS and assists a game. Get over it Nash is old.