PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins Fined By Kings Due To Clashing With Coaches

EWOR
11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40156898/ns/sports-player_news/

Word is that handling rookie forward DeMarcus Cousins is proving to be an even bigger job for coach Paul Westphal and his staff than expected, even after the Kings hired Cousins' high school coach (Otis Hughley) in hopes of keeping the 20-year-old -- freshly relegated to a bench role -- plugged in.

One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Cousins was fined recently for clashing with members of Westphal's staff. I've also been advised that it's not one-and-done as far as such clashes go, which has created a level of tension that -- anticipated or not -- obviously isn't what the Kings need when they're already operating at such an experience deficit on top of their serious defensive frailties.

No one doubts the potential possessed by the Kings' precocious tag team of Cousins and Tyreke Evans. But as one veteran scout warned me during summer league in Las Vegas, when tales and hints of Cousins' volatility and immaturity spread quickly: "It's always risky to have two young divas on the same team."

Who didn't see this coming? Eddy Curry Jr

KingsAndNiners
11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
If true then :facepalm:....

If Cousins doesn't straighten out than the Kings are in trouble as a franchise. Especially with Greene and Thompson struggling this season and the arena issues.

Hopefully Cousins gets his head on right, who knows whats actually going on behind the scenes tho.

Jamiecballer
11-12-2010, 07:10 PM
i don't know. for some reason this guy makes me think of Derrick Coleman and I don't mean that in a good way.

Nets fan 93
11-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Imagine if the Nets drafted him... him clashing with Avery would not be a nice scene.

EWOR
11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Imagine if the Nets drafted him... him clashing with Avery would not be a nice scene.

He'd stuff Avery in his pocket after he stepped on him.

soundjunkies2
11-12-2010, 07:19 PM

The Nets definitely made the right decision with that pick.

Public Enemy #1
11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Not surprised. Another head case.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
where are the Kings fans defending him? Honestly, I have always stated that I hope the best for the kid, but this is exactly why he was passed over in the draft, and exactly why many coaches/fans think he is never going to reach his potential.

Blazers#1Fan
11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
favors 8.8ppg 7.3Rpg 0.1APG 0.1Spg 0.6 Bpg FT% 0.750 21.4MPG
Cousins 11.1 PPG 5.9RPG 1.3 APG 0.9SPG 0.7BPG FT% 0.593 21.4MPG

i think there both good there is no nets did a good choice there pretty much the same players with cousins scoring more and favors rebound 1.4 more a game

cousins clashed because he dont wanna be on no bench if your a #1 pick why would you wanna come off the bench and the kings need to play him more like they did tyreke last year they didnt play evans for the start of the season because Kmart now there doing the same with cousins! trade landry play cousins

Hawkeye15
11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Trade Landry? Why? Just let Dalembert expire.
And that isn't the issue here. Cousins has been involved in these altercations at every level, and its already upon the Kings in the NBA. Nobody denies that physically, he was the most NBA ready big man in the draft in a landslide. But sports involve mental maturity and composure, something Cousins hasn't demonstrated

td0tsfinest
11-12-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm remember after we played the Kings, Reggie made a comment regarding the youth in today's nba and how they have no respect for the veterans in the league. They would downright talk smack about them, something that never happened when Reggie was starting off in the league.

These guys need to respect the people that have been in the league longer than them, especially their coaches. This is one of the reasons why so many people were cautious in drafting in him. He's got potential to be a great player but his attitude is a problem.

29$JerZ
11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Trade Landry? Why? Just let Dalembert expire.
And that isn't the issue here. Cousins has been involved in these altercations at every level, and its already upon the Kings in the NBA. Nobody denies that physically, he was the most NBA ready big man in the draft in a landslide. But sports involve mental maturity and composure, something Cousins hasn't demonstrated

Very true, its a shame that guys like him have the body and talent to be above average players in the NBA but their attitude or mindset just holds them back. Still early in his career, but if this goes on all season it's basically a given he'll be a headcase until he is a starter.

prash
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I wonder if I should bench him in my fantasy line up? They playing Phoenix tonight and the Suns have no inside person who could stop him.

Tough call... dammit

KingsAndNiners
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
favors 8.8ppg 7.3Rpg 0.1APG 0.1Spg 0.6 Bpg FT% 0.750 21.4MPG
Cousins 11.1 PPG 5.9RPG 1.3 APG 0.9SPG 0.7BPG FT% 0.593 21.4MPG

i think there both good there is no nets did a good choice there pretty much the same players with cousins scoring more and favors rebound 1.4 more a game

cousins clashed because he dont wanna be on no bench if your a #1 pick why would you wanna come off the bench and the kings need to play him more like they did tyreke last year they didnt play evans for the start of the season because Kmart now there doing the same with cousins! trade landry play cousins

I see that you're a very smart and talented young man who has a bright future ahead of him. The way you wrote your post with such eloquence is truly inspiring. I will try to pontificate on your idea that Cousins should get more playing time. Now first of all I'd like to point out your error that Cousins was a #1 pick. He was actually the #5 overall pick my good man. Also I can tell you that his minutes have been limited for two main reasons. First because he has been in some foul trouble, nothing like Jason Thompson has gone through however. And secondly Cousins is still not in the greatest shape. I really wouldn't want to push him past 30 minutes a game yet.

I would just like to also say that Kings fans in general have been very impressed with young Demarcus Cousins. He has shown that he has all the size and skills to be at least a top 5 big-man in this league and dominate it for years to come. Cousins has shown nothing except a boyish attitude thus far with the Kings. His comments about Bynum and Favors were a little brash but most Kings fans liked his attitude and are tired of big softies. (Hawes/Miller). Cousins actually had a great quote about being benched for Dalembert if you want to go look it up and read it.

I hope this story is not true as it has only been reported by this "unnamed source". Who knows what is going on behind the scenes however.

Tony_Starks
11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
He'd be better served by a no nonsense coach like Pop or Jerry Sloan. He's not going to get it in SacTown because he still gets rewarded with playing time despite his antics. In a real winning program either he would clean up his act or he wouldn't play its that simple.....

KingsAndNiners
11-12-2010, 08:08 PM
He'd be better served by a no nonsense coach like Pop or Jerry Sloan. He's not going to get it in SacTown because he still gets rewarded with playing time despite his antics. In a real winning program either he would clean up his act or he wouldn't play its that simple.....

According to the report he was fined. Is that not punishment enough? And we also don't know to what extent the "clashing" was. Also P-West is definitely not a soft coach. The last big who tangled with him got his playing time cut, was benched for the great Sean May, and got his *** shipped out of town.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I see that you're a very smart and talented young man who has a bright future ahead of him. The way you wrote your post with such eloquence is truly inspiring. I will try to pontificate on your idea that Cousins should get more playing time. Now first of all I'd like to point out your error that Cousins was a #1 pick. He was actually the #5 overall pick my good man. Also I can tell you that his minutes have been limited for two main reasons. First because he has been in some foul trouble, nothing like Jason Thompson has gone through however. And secondly Cousins is still not in the greatest shape. I really wouldn't want to push him past 30 minutes a game yet.

I would just like to also say that Kings fans in general have been very impressed with young Demarcus Cousins. He has shown that he has all the size and skills to be at least a top 5 big-man in this league and dominate it for years to come. Cousins has shown nothing except a boyish attitude thus far with the Kings. His comments about Bynum and Favors were a little brash but most Kings fans liked his attitude and are tired of big softies. (Hawes/Miller). Cousins actually had a great quote about being benched for Dalembert if you want to go look it up and read it.

I hope this story is not true as it has only been reported by this "unnamed source". Who knows what is going on behind the scenes however.

I think everyone agrees that physically, there was no match for Cousins in that draft, or most drafts. If the story is true, it exemplifies exactly why he fell to you guys. His maturity level has always been an issue, and there is no disputing that. I always pull for young men to figure it out, and I hope he does. Cause I would hate to see him waste that talent

KingsAndNiners
11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I think everyone agrees that physically, there was no match for Cousins in that draft, or most drafts. If the story is true, it exemplifies exactly why he fell to you guys. His maturity level has always been an issue, and there is no disputing that. I always pull for young men to figure it out, and I hope he does. Cause I would hate to see him waste that talent

Apparently it is true. On Grant Napear's radio show (He's the Kings TV play-by-play guy) he confirmed that Cousins was disciplined. This worries me, hopefully he can get it turned around mentally. Another problem is that there are not a lot of vets on the Kings roster to take Cousins under their wing. I think that our most tenured player may be Dalembert who is only like 29.

MJ-BULLS
11-12-2010, 08:27 PM
This is the number one reason as to why teams passed on him in the draft.
and this could be one of the reasons as to why he may not reach his full potential as a basketball player.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Apparently it is true. On Grant Napear's radio show (He's the Kings TV play-by-play guy) he confirmed that Cousins was disciplined. This worries me, hopefully he can get it turned around mentally. Another problem is that there are not a lot of vets on the Kings roster to take Cousins under their wing. I think that our most tenured player may be Dalembert who is only like 29.

you have mentioned two things that I really agree with. Westphal does not put up with young bigs that speak their minds. And with no veteran presence to help Cousins adapt, it just builds an uphill battle on that young man. I really hope he matures. Like I said, I would hate to see a talent like his go to waste

Mauersota
11-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Well Cousins maybe the type that doesn't need to be taken under a vets right now "wing", but more "disciplined" until he gets a little humbled.

assisi805
11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Shame he couldn't just act like KD :)

GodsSon
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Not surprising

mwoodri
11-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I still think he will be a helluva player and would have taken him #2 overall if I were a GM. He is 20 and will mature in time. Noah just matured last year and that has worked out well for us. Not every 20 year old is going to be on his best behavior all the time. The Kevin Durants are more the exception IMO.

NYKalltheway
11-12-2010, 09:48 PM
so it begins

Jenceman
11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
No surprise here.

David_Stern
11-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Not surprised at all.

The Final Boss
11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
The league needs more Euro players...

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 11:37 PM
not surprised...

masalex1205
11-12-2010, 11:43 PM
time will tell but I think its going to take a while for him to "mature," and even then hell prob be like Sheed or Nate Rob

AIRMAR72
11-13-2010, 01:43 AM
i don't know. for some reason this guy makes me think of Derrick Coleman and I don't mean that in a good way.
I say more like the late eddie jamaal griffin (rip) who had huge potential a natural at scoring but like demarcus cousins they get offended too easily which turns into fights

JiffyMix88
11-13-2010, 01:56 AM
sucks man i thought he would beast out there in sac town and he has hurt my fantasy team thus far :/

Catfish1314
11-13-2010, 03:03 AM
where are the Kings fans defending him? Honestly, I have always stated that I hope the best for the kid, but this is exactly why he was passed over in the draft, and exactly why many coaches/fans think he is never going to reach his potential.

If college athletes were paid, I'm sure Cousins would have been fined a few times for barking at Calipari and his assistants at Kentucky. This could be nothing.

I'm not worried about it. I think most people thought this would happen sooner or later and now that it has, find a way to fix it. He's a rookie and his playing situation has recently changed with the veteran and projected starter, Dalembert, healthier. It's up to the coaches to fix this and keep him under control.

Regardless of how he turns out, at 5th overall he was definitely worth the risk. Even if he turns out to be the next Eddy Curry, I would do the same thing a thousand times over again.

mvb815
11-13-2010, 03:11 AM
hell, i'd be pissed too if i was benched for dalembert. the kid has raw emotion and energy that could be used for hustle in the game if you keep him happy.

i'm all for players listening to the coaches, don't get me wrong, but what are you trying to prove starting dalembert over cousins. that's like asking for cousins to get mad and not get better.

dalembert is a great defender, and a quality BENCH player. starting him is just halting progress and causing problems. cousins is a brat, but he has swagger and all the potential in the world right now. he put up monster games in the preseason like one with 16 pts 16 rebounds. so give him the minutes, stop trying to preach your authority, and everyone will get along merrily

The_Mac22
11-13-2010, 03:42 AM
Stay classy Cousins.

Lim
11-13-2010, 05:21 AM
I'm remember after we played the Kings, Reggie made a comment regarding the youth in today's nba and how they have no respect for the veterans in the league. They would downright talk smack about them, something that never happened when Reggie was starting off in the league.

These guys need to respect the people that have been in the league longer than them, especially their coaches. This is one of the reasons why so many people were cautious in drafting in him. He's got potential to be a great player but his attitude is a problem.

i remember cousins was talking **** to lamar odom like crazy during the game when cousins was sitting on the bench. everytime there was someone at the line you could see cousins yapping away at odom.

lamar said a few things back but basically ignored him, and then a few plays later lamar hit a sick 3 in 1 on 1 coverage right infront of SACs bench.. it was so fitting! cousins face after that play was like "dis n!gga"

Hawkeye15
11-13-2010, 12:15 PM
If college athletes were paid, I'm sure Cousins would have been fined a few times for barking at Calipari and his assistants at Kentucky. This could be nothing.

I'm not worried about it. I think most people thought this would happen sooner or later and now that it has, find a way to fix it. He's a rookie and his playing situation has recently changed with the veteran and projected starter, Dalembert, healthier. It's up to the coaches to fix this and keep him under control.

Regardless of how he turns out, at 5th overall he was definitely worth the risk. Even if he turns out to be the next Eddy Curry, I would do the same thing a thousand times over again.

I agree with you.

Sactown
11-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Eh I think the frustrations just building up in sac and you can tell... it's not just DMC who is upset..

SluggeR
11-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Just play the kid.

THE_FLASH_21
11-13-2010, 12:44 PM
He'd stuff Avery in his pocket after he stepped on him.

LOL OMG thats soo true..

arkanian215
11-13-2010, 12:50 PM

He can't end up like Eddy Curry. He can rebound already.

Sactown
11-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Things were talked out the next day, I don't know how the talk went, but practice was canceled and it was just a team meeting. it's more than just DMC

Catfish1314
11-13-2010, 05:48 PM
He can't end up like Eddy Curry. He can rebound already.

That's true. I don't remember Curry getting into such horrible foul trouble though. But then again he didn't try on defense.