PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons on Carmelo: Man Up

davids22
11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/byeweek&sportCat=nfl

It was surreal watching Carmelo Anthony play the Lakers on Thursday night. He notched 32 points and 13 rebounds during a dramatic home victory, but he seemed slightly detached, like a college boyfriend two weeks away from dumping his girlfriend because she's going away for a semester, and all his friends know that he's dumping her, but he feels bad because it's her birthday and he doesn't want to break up with her quite yet. Just a weird vibe. I wondered if I was overthinking it, but the TNT guys jumped right on it after the show. There was just something … off. He knows he's leaving, we know he's leaving, the fans know he's leaving. So what's the point? Why stay? Why go through the motions?

I don't blame the Nuggets for hoping Anthony changes his mind; he's one of the 10 best players in the league, and they could never get equal value for him in a trade. They should keep him until February and hope he has a change of heart. But Carmelo's wishy-washy routine is exceptionally lame. Melo, if you want out, say it. If you want to stay, say it. But say something. Your fans stuck with you through the MSG *****-slap, the "Stop Snitching" disaster and a slew of playoff no-shows (even in 2009, your only legitimate run, you disappeared in the last two games against the Lakers). Now you're putting them through this?

My advice: Instead of emulating your boys Bosh and LeDecoy and jumping to a higher-profile situation, you should emulate a guy like Paul Pierce, someone who had similar ups and downs in Boston, had chances to leave and wanted to stay because he valued being a Celtic, and because he valued the unwavering support of Boston fans. If none of that stuff matters to you, then ask out right now. But don't keep everyone in limbo because you want a $65 million extension (that only Denver can offer you) AND you want to play for the Knicks (a team that doesn't have nearly enough to trade for you). You're rocking a 9.9 out of 10 on the "Time to Man Up" scale right now. The Denver fans deserve better.

I pretty much agree. He's essentially holding out for the extra cash, which is only going to hurt his new team (the Knicks) in the long run. The Knicks virtually have no draft picks these next few years so they can't eat up all that cap space on Melo.

J4KOP99
11-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I think Simmons is giving Pierce a little too much credit. He did not stay because he valued being a Celtic... he stayed because his team acquired two future hall of famers... It's a simple as that.

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree. Anthony is acting like a little ******. These superstars now days are such ****ing divas...it's not even funny.

D1JM
11-12-2010, 04:02 PM
how does bill simmons know that melo hasnt requested a trade to his owner/gm? he doesnt have to tell the world that he is leaving, especially because it would be an awkward situation for him and the nugget fans.

ballbrains
11-12-2010, 04:19 PM
SO what is melo supposed to do, get nuggets management to start cloning hall of famers? where the championship players supposed to come from? he gotta leave. all these owners care about is money. they dont care how hard melo trained growing up to reach this level. y play for an org that doesnt wanna win.
half their team smokes all damm day. lebron started this mess. the only way guys can win now is to team up. pierce? he the best one from his era left. thats celtic history.melo is one of those guys who should have a great team, always. remember KG in sota?

Rivera
11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I think Simmons is giving Pierce a little too much credit. He did not stay because he valued being a Celtic... he stayed because his team acquired two future hall of famers... It's a simple as that.

this

pierce in fact was on his way out he actually asked for a trade during the season b4 they got ray

danny and doc changed pierces mind and when they got ray first he changed his tune then KG was the icing on top

bctgg27
11-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Okay, that is not what Simmons is talking about. He is talking about when Pierce was almost traded to Portland in 2005. Before this deal went through, Pierce stated he would not try for Portland and that he wanted to stay in Boston and win there. Because he valued being a Celtic.

Tony_Starks
11-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Let's see, he calls Lebron "LeDecoy" and praises Paul Pierce (who was on the way out before they got KB btw) in an article that has nothing to do with either player...... hmmmmm..... think he might just be biased? Just a lil Boston bit?

J4KOP99
11-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Okay, that is not what Simmons is talking about. He is talking about when Pierce was almost traded to Portland in 2005. Before this deal went through, Pierce stated he would not try for Portland and that he wanted to stay in Boston and win there. Because he valued being a Celtic.

Alright, well let's add some context to the situation. Back then the Trail Blazers, or better know, the Jail Blazers were far from the ideal franchise. Of course Pierce chose to stay in Boston rather than go to an even worse situation in Portland.

Pierce asked for a trade from Boston. He wanted to leave until they brought in two future HOF's... Simmons bias refuses to let him admit this. (I do like Bill Simmons though, but these are the things you come to expect from him)

Da Knicks
11-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Simmons is a joke!

Illinirob83
11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Simmons is a hack. Plus his jokes and analogies are so mind-numbingly horrible that I just stopped reading this boring guy entirely. One of the worst sports-writers going today IMO.

nycericanguy
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/byeweek&sportCat=nfl

I pretty much agree. He's essentially holding out for the extra cash, which is only going to hurt his new team (the Knicks) in the long run. The Knicks virtually have no draft picks these next few years so they can't eat up all that cap space on Melo.

I disagree, how can he come out and say he's leaving DEN? He wouldn't be able to play the season out in DEN if he did that.

Secondly, the only future pick NY has traded is its 2012 pick. People get carried away and act like NY traded away their next 10 picks.

bctgg27
11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Alright, well let's add some context to the situation. Back then the Trail Blazers, or better know, the Jail Blazers were far from the ideal franchise. Of course Pierce chose to stay in Boston rather than go to an even worse situation in Portland.

Pierce asked for a trade from Boston. He wanted to leave until they brought in two future HOF's... Simmons bias refuses to let him admit this. (I do like Bill Simmons though, but these are the things you come to expect from him)

I agree Simmons can be bias at times. But even before the trade to Portland came up, Pierce first heard about the possibility of being traded. He than said he did not want to leave and wanted to retire a Celtic. All this before any team even put out an offer.

Pierce wanting a trade before Allen and KG got there is understandable. At the point he was at the later end of his career with a team that just came off a horrible season. That was about wanting to win a championship before he retired and at that point, doing it in Boston didn't seem like a realistic possibility.

DenButsu
11-12-2010, 11:25 PM
how does bill simmons know that melo hasnt requested a trade to his owner/gm? he doesnt have to tell the world that he is leaving, especially because it would be an awkward situation for him and the nugget fans.

The entire point is that Melo HAS ALREADY created the "awkward" (I'll be polite and use your word) situation that Nuggets fans are in. Playing these little mind games, being coy about staying with the Nuggets being "an option" while doing what he can behind the scenes to force a trade on his own terms.

He's screwing us right now by not signing the extension. We can't even wholeheartedly cheer for him and the team because we know he's on the verge of betraying us. And Russel's exactly right. Who had his back after the brawl when the entire NBA world (but most especially Knicks fans) were all over his dick? Nuggets fans. Who had his back after his DUI? Nuggets fans. The bronze medal incident? Nuggets fans. Who has stood behind him his entire career despite his (often) lackluster efforts in defense and rebounding, and his (at times) selfish attitude? Nuggets fans.

Now he's just leaving us twisting in the wind.

It's Melo's *right* to do what he's doing. But he sure is being a douche.