PDA

View Full Version : Shaq on Toronto...

GodsSon
11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Q. Folks in Toronto have a sense that U.S. born players don’t want to play in Canada. Is that a general vibe you get?

It’s not that. It’s the double taxes that deter players from going there. Also Bosh obviously couldn’t handle the pressure, so he had to go join two other people to help him out. Listen to what I tell you: Toronto is in the top three NBA cities for every NBA player. Trust me on that, brother.

http://ca.askmen.com/celebs/interview_400/458b_shaquille-oneal-interview.html

Take it for what it's worth

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks Shaq. You should come here for your final season. Finish out your career as the Big Mountie!

Guru™
11-12-2010, 01:40 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

miller74
11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Nice of him to say anyway

GodsSon
11-12-2010, 01:44 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

What other city ranks ahead and classifies as "etc."?

Giaps
I think Toronto is a great city. I don't think that was ever the problem.

Sadds The Gr8
Shaq should come here. Maybe he'll straighten Bargnani's soft *** out.

mjt20mik
11-12-2010, 01:45 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

NBA wise, I would think of Toronto as maybe a top 5 / 8 city. However, shockingly enough, Toronto is the 2nd greatest tourist city in North America behind NYC.

Guru™
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
What other city ranks ahead and classifies as "etc."?

Boston, Dallas, Golden State...

I'm not trying to **** on Canada but to say Toronto is a top 3 NBA city is a bit much.

ballbrains
11-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I've heard many players say Toronto is a Top 5 city. NY, LA, CHI, MIA, TOR.
they love the diversity, food, entertainment, and the assortment of WOMEN from all over the globe.
Diesel knows best.
besides, potential endorsement deal can spread across the entire country. So much money to be made.

Sactown
11-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I think Shaq was just trying to attack bosh

Guru™
11-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I've heard many players say Toronto is a Top 5 city.
Links/examples would be cool

John Walls Era
11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
It was more attacking Bosh than anything....

GodsSon

I'm not trying to **** on Canada but to say Toronto is a top 3 NBA city is a bit much.

NY and LA are clearly better/bigger markets...

Chicago and Toronto are pretty close though in my opinion...similar population and both Great Lakes cities with a comparable climate...the only difference is Chicago had Jordan

I don't see how Dallas and GS are better markets

MaHaRaJaH
Thanks Shaq. You should come here for your final season. Finish out your career as the Big Mountie!

:laugh:

MaHaRaJaH
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Can't say Oakland is the best market when it's in the heart of the Bay

Guru™
11-12-2010, 01:54 PM

Chicago and Toronto are pretty close though in my opinion...similar population and both Great Lakes cities with a comparable climate...the only difference is Chicago had Jordan

Okay, I'm not going to sit here and turn this into a which is the better city topic. I'm saying that those cities have better NBA markets than Toronto.

GodsSon
11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Okay, I'm not going to sit here and turn this into a which is the better city topic. I'm saying that those cities have better NBA markets than Toronto.

Explain

Rivera
11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
torontos double taxes.....OUCHHHH

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Can't say Oakland is the best market when it's in the heart of the Bay

lol everyone that sees me on this site has looked at your sig and said wtf?

ManRam
11-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes Shaq; that's why all the stars flock to Toronto.

That was just a blatant Chris Bosh attack.

avrpatsfan
11-12-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Guru™
11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Explain

What do you mean explain? Is it really that hard to comprehend?
Star players are easier to market in those cities because their fan bases are very strong. And a rich basketball history in the city helps teams market because they have new and old fans.

GodsSon
11-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Star players are easier to market in those cities because their fan bases are very strong. And a rich basketball history in the city helps teams market because they have new and old fans.

With that sentence, I can already tell you have no clue what you're talking about

John Walls Era
11-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Explain

Whats there to explain?

Guru™
11-12-2010, 02:12 PM
With that sentence, I can already tell you have no clue what you're talking about

So you are saying that Toronto has a stronger fan base than LA, NY, or CHI?
Hahhaaha you are the one with no clue. Just look at your damn roster, full of stars right?

Southsideheat
11-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Explain

The fact that they supported an awful hockey teams for years and will always support an awful hockey team. It's a hockey town period.

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 02:14 PM

obviously it's a shot at Bosh, but that doesn't hide the fact that he's right...U.S. players don't like or wanna play here.

Testaverde16
11-12-2010, 02:15 PM
classic shaq, say something that makes no sense and everyone will dismiss, but now Toronto fans like you so you can satisfy your need to be loved. No one does it better....

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Hahhaaha you are the one with no clue. Just look at your damn roster, full of stars right?

you're right about T.O. not being a top 3 city (even though it was obvious Shaq was exaggerating), but wth does the roster have to do with the fan base?

Hangtime
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Toronto will always have a problem holding on to any superstar player if they get one at all. And yes, that was a blatant swipe at Bosh. Shaq just don't like that mother ****er.

GodsSon
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM

And yet we still rank in the upper half of attendance league-wide...just take a look at PSD, the 4th largest fanbase is Toronto; something that us Raptors fans have vehemently stated for a while now (us being the 4th largest market).

Remember a guy named Vince Carter? I seem to remember him being the most popular player in the L back in his prime and he played in Toronto, electing to sign a 5 year extension with us in the summer of 01. It's not where you play, it's how you play.

The fact that they supported an awful hockey teams for years and will always support an awful hockey team. It's a hockey town period.

Yet there are still enough NBA teams that would kill to be in our position

BOSTON617
11-12-2010, 02:24 PM
you're right about T.O. not being a top 3 city (even though it was obvious Shaq was exaggerating), but wth does the roster have to do with the fan base?

hes saying that basically if tornoto was a top 3 city to play for they would have atleast 1/2 stars the reason y boston, golden state, dallas are better franchises then the raptors has nothing to do with population... more to do with loyalty to the teams i live in boston we sucked for a long time but we were still loyal and i mean no offense but raptors dont really got history its more of a hockey city

masTOR_shake1
11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

haha etc,,thats about it dude. toronto kicks ***.

BOSTON617
11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
And yet we still rank in the upper half of attendance league-wide...just take a look at PSD, the 4th largest fanbase is Toronto; something that us Raptors fans have vehemently stated for a while now (us being the 4th largest market).

Remember a guy named Vince Carter? I seem to remember him being the most popular player in the L back in his prime and he played in Toronto, electing to sign a 5 year extension with us in the summer of 01. It's not where you play, it's how you play.

Yet there are still enough NBA teams that would kill to be in our position

u guys have a huge fan base but when it comes down to it... its all about money and power i bet u if u guys make the playoffs in a cple of yrs u will find atleast one or two stars to come to ur team that next off season u guys just had a lot of bad luck in ur past

Guru™
11-12-2010, 02:27 PM

I never said you guys had a poor fan base. Just not as strong as others in the league so don't get it twisted.

And you really want to bring up Vince Carter? The guy was miserable there. He wanted out for so long and once he left... you boo him? The Raptors have only ever won one playoff series and he was an integral part of the five-game win over the New York Knicks in 2001, leading the team with 27 points in the deciding Game 5 at Madison Square Garden. This just leads to the fact that the Raptors management sucks and players simply don't want to move to Canada to play basketball. Fact.

Guru™
11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
hes saying that basically if tornoto was a top 3 city to play for they would have atleast 1/2 stars the reason y boston, golden state, dallas are better franchises then the raptors has nothing to do with population... more to do with loyalty to the teams i live in boston we sucked for a long time but we were still loyal and i mean no offense but raptors dont really got history its more of a hockey city

This

BOSTON617
11-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I never said you guys had a poor fan base. Just not as strong as others in the league so don't get it twisted.

And you really want to bring up Vince Carter? The guy was miserable there. He wanted out for so long and once he left... you boo him? The Raptors have only ever won one playoff series and he was an integral part of the five-game win over the New York Knicks in 2001, leading the team with 27 points in the deciding Game 5 at Madison Square Garden. This just leads to the fact that the Raptors management sucks and players simply don't want to move to Canada to play basketball. Fact.

i agree 100 % but i think the only way a player would go there is if they truley had all the right pieces to the puzzle witch i dont c happening but its possible

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 02:30 PM

oh we're not a top 3 franchise or anything...i thought we're just talkin fan bases. of course no1 would come because of our franchise...it sucks.

masTOR_shake1
11-12-2010, 02:34 PM

ok? new york is the best market and they have an amazing star-studded team right? bad managment in toronto, nothing else.

Bob_at_york
11-12-2010, 02:36 PM
It was more attacking Bosh than anything....

I agree, that's how I read it too. Not to say Toronto isn't great. Also I think Shaq is basing his views on Toronto on the road trips here. Guys love staying in Toronto for a weekend. There are great parties up here.

masalex1205
11-12-2010, 02:41 PM
cool thread

500 Level
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I think that as Toronto fans we need to get over the fact the rest of the league will remain ignorant about the market forever and use it to our advantage.

We have one of the top attendances in the league despite not making the playoffs as many of you have pointed out. We don't have stars on the team because there is a cap system and you can't just sign people you need to be in a position to. Thats a really stupid argument. Before NY paid way to much for Amare did they have any stars? And they are NY

And our market turned Bosh, someone who is proving he is not a top talent into a star. This year is only going to further prove how good this market is.

And if Chicago and Miami are such good markets why isn't Derrick Rose a bigger star? Why did it take three superstars to get people to show up and care in Miami? Dallas has the most committed owner in the league and Dirk is an afterthought even when he has MVP type seasons. If Wade, Rose or Dirk played in Toronto they would be megastars.

ballbrains
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM

And you really want to bring up Vince Carter? The guy was miserable there. He wanted out for so long and once he itt... you boo him? The Raptors have only ever won one playoff series and he was an integral part of the five-game win over the New York Knicks in 2001, leading the team with 27 points in the deciding Game 5 at Madison Square Garden. This just leads to the fact that the Raptors management sucks and players simply don't want to move to Canada to play basketball. Fact.

dead wrong. MLSE is one of the most powerful groups in PRO SPORTS. they love making money. they were killing the cash, like today. they said "maple leaf gardens could only hold 20,000 people, so y get gretzky". they didnt wanna spend, not even to get nash when VC asked. he loved T.O.
players know, if your winning, that cures all things.

sep11ie
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Shaq shouldnt talk about a player having to join other teams to win.

Dol-Fan
11-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, yeah. Plenty of NBA players have said how much they love Toronto, and why wouldn't they? Great night-life, sexy women, cultured, lots to do, and it's no colder than NY, CHI, or any other north-US city. The problem with Toronto is that the team has always sucked. Who wants to go to play for a ****** team with a logo that looks like Barney? I've also read somewhere that taxes are accounted for to level out the differences between T.O. and your average US city. Not sure on that though and not willing to do research.

BOSTON617
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM

shaq was always a 1st or 2nd option bosh is not so shaq can talk he been there done that he has a right to talk he walked the walk

ballbrains
11-12-2010, 02:47 PM

really. disel can do what he likes. when in his prime, he was one of the greatest players ever. all players decline and chase rings as free agents

ballbrains
11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Well, yeah. Plenty of NBA players have said how much they love Toronto, and why wouldn't they? Great night-life, sexy women, cultured, lots to do, and it's no colder than NY, CHI, or any other north-US city. The problem with Toronto is that the team has always sucked. Who wants to go to play for a ****** team with a logo that looks like Barney? I've also read somewhere that taxes are accounted for to level out the differences between T.O. and your average US city. Not sure on that though and not willing to do research.

YUP!
top 5 city. toronto defers some of the taxes so it can balance out. goes into property taxes, depends on how many months of the calendar year you earn money outside the U.S. Same in U.S. you pay less tax when you work out of country. YOU DON'T PAY TWO FULL FLEDGE TAXES..

Focused1
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Smartest thing said in here PERIOD

thescore53
11-12-2010, 03:01 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

mia ? are u serious. the only thing miami has on toronto is weather,

thescore53
11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
torontos double taxes.....OUCHHHH

nope not anymore. those who sign with toronto get a signing bonus to make the difference.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 03:06 PM

better than mia and alot of other cities. they have a top 6 nba operatin income.

and whats that have to do with anything

Voodoo Alchemy
11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
shaq just called christine bosh a wuss

thescore53
u guys have a huge fan base but when it comes down to it... its all about money and power i bet u if u guys make the playoffs in a cple of yrs u will find atleast one or two stars to come to ur team that next off season u guys just had a lot of bad luck in ur past

yep we dont have the richest history. since our inception in 1995.

td0tsfinest

We got basketball history (the first ever nba game was played in Toronto), its just people don't care.

BTW, I don't understand the loyalty part? Are you saying, Raptors fans aren't loyal? Not trying to toot our own horn but we have one of the strongest fan bases in the entire league. Add to the fact that our team's greatest accolade was winning one division title and we still continue to sell out seats, its pretty damn impressive. Yes we are a hockey team but I don't understand why people don't realize we love our Raptors too. We finished 5th in the league in gate receipts last season and we didn't even make the playoffs.

Anyways, this was obviously a smack on bosh more than anything. Shaq's not the first nba player to say something good about Toronto, we've heard it numerous of times.

At the end of the day, I still strongly believe the city has little influence on FAs. If we can build a winning mentality (and it's probably going to have to be through drafting and trades), we shouldn't have a problem acquiring FAs. I remember Grant Hill was strongly considered coming to Toronto, the off-season after we won our division title.

Voodoo Alchemy
11-12-2010, 03:10 PM
mia ? are u serious. the only thing miami has on toronto is weather,

women too.

JB0B0
11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I've never been to Toronto but from what I've heard and seen, is a great city. Definitely not surprised by that suggestion. I'd say it's in the top 5-6, not sure top 3 though.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
women too.

thats not fair . it seems that way cause they're always half naked. :D

thescore53
11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
rememeber shaq said toronto is a top 3 city. not market, not franchise, its his preference. alot of people have different preferences.

and alot of you are ignorant about the vince carter situation so dont speak about it.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 03:40 PM
u know it doesnt matter if players are ignorant towards canada and toronto. cause there will influx of canadian talent coming over.

andrew wiggins, cory joseph, kris joseph, myk kanongo, tristan thompson,kevin pangos. and some really good highscoolers, just wait,

effen5
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM

How the hell did you include Miami in the original post?

I'd say Chicago, LA, Boston, and NYC are the top 4 NBA Markets in the League...I would put Toronto has 5.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
dont know why people are disagreeing with shaq ? its his opinion.

to me if i ranked my fav cities not including toronto i would place

1. chicago
2. new york
3. dallas
4. LA

La11
11-12-2010, 04:06 PM

From a guy from NJ LMAO:clap:

ShakeN'Bake
11-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Double taxes?! :speechless:

Hunter48MVP
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I think Shaq was just trying to attack bosh

agree

BOSTON617
11-12-2010, 04:41 PM
We got basketball history (the first ever nba game was played in Toronto), its just people don't care.

BTW, I don't understand the loyalty part? Are you saying, Raptors fans aren't loyal? Not trying to toot our own horn but we have one of the strongest fan bases in the entire league. Add to the fact that our team's greatest accolade was winning one division title and we still continue to sell out seats, its pretty damn impressive. Yes we are a hockey team but I don't understand why people don't realize we love our Raptors too. We finished 5th in the league in gate receipts last season and we didn't even make the playoffs.

Anyways, this was obviously a smack on bosh more than anything. Shaq's not the first nba player to say something good about Toronto, we've heard it numerous of times.

At the end of the day, I still strongly believe the city has little influence on FAs. If we can build a winning mentality (and it's probably going to have to be through drafting and trades), we shouldn't have a problem acquiring FAs. I remember Grant Hill was strongly considered coming to Toronto, the off-season after we won our division title.

i wasnt trying to bash raptor fans but my point is all around that there a few teams in the nba with a more loyal fanbase..... with the history part im talking like dynsty rings allstars players getting 20,000 points retired jereseys not much of that in toronto

Bob_at_york
11-12-2010, 04:41 PM
very creative...we haven't seen that one before:rolleyes:

I honestly haven't seen it before. What does it mean?

Guys some of you need to calm down. You are taking Shaq's comments too serious. Remember it is Shaq.

IKAZ
11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Referrin to Guru from New jersey.

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I honestly haven't seen it before. What does it mean?

he made the typical "aye" remark/jab about canadians.

Bob_at_york
11-12-2010, 04:58 PM
he made the typical "aye" remark/jab about canadians.

I don't know what "aye" has to do with Canada. When committees vote in the US, they don't say "aye" or "nay"?

thescore53
11-12-2010, 04:59 PM
may I ask why u still talkin boi?? you still writin useless comments since I saw you on page 1.

You said GOLDEN STATE is the top city. people shouldnt even be replying to you. Never heard of an area called Golden state.

we messed up with carter.. and im happy bosh left. Look at him now. he was the reason we went downhill..we overhyped him and he complained of our ''soft'' defense only to see rondo dunk on him last night and guards of all types,sizes and colours blow by him in the paint and he sits and watches. I watched last nights game smiling thinking when your paid and loved u shouldnt look for more. sadly.. we as basketball fans gave him far too much love and respect. and yet he sells us out..

You give toronto effort they will love you. no one is hating our team now because we know their capabilities. and chances are we're goin for the draft beause its clear that the 2003 - 2006 draftees have passed along a disease called an ''ego'' .

Micheal jordan and Kobe should never be in the same sentence as lebron james,wade melo or any of these guys

thank god we got KD to balance this out.

ya'll love toronto.. everyone loves toronto. from the food to the women to drake ya'll jumpin on our __________ night in night out..

Hopefully within the next few years I expect us to be competitive again.

they play in oakland, golden state is cali.

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't know what "aye" has to do with Canada. When committees vote in the US, they don't say "aye" or "nay"?

well i dunno...the assumption by Americans is that we say "aye/eh/ay" after every sentence.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 05:00 PM

he meant eh... not aye. ignorance is bliss. dont mind them.

Bob_at_york
11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
he meant eh... not aye. ignorance is bliss. dont mind them.

Those are completely different words. How does somebody confuse them?

Sadds The Gr8
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM

ask him.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
ask him.

maybe he should ban him for the lulz. but long time i learned not to taake these kinda guys serious.

dtmagnet
11-12-2010, 05:17 PM
They should let Toronto offset the tax difference so we're on an even playing field.

NYsFinest
11-12-2010, 05:19 PM
He was obviously exaggerating but I think if you don't consider rosters, Toronto would be a top 10-15 city in many players minds.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
They should let Toronto offset the tax difference so we're on an even playing field.

they did.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
He was obviously exaggerating but I think if you don't consider rosters, Toronto would be a top 10-15 city in many players minds.

name 9 better cities.

Sixerlover
11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm not going to lie to you. The fact that it is in Canada turns a lot of players off. It just doesn't sound appealing (no matter how wonderful the city might be), and that seems to be the mindset for many people

thescore53
11-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not going to lie to you. The fact that it is in Canada turns a lot of players off. It just doesn't sound appealing (no matter how wonderful the city might be), and that seems to be the mindset for many people

yup. but its only the most ignorant of players. the whole team loves it. and i think its gotten alot better from back of the day.

NYsFinest
11-12-2010, 05:28 PM
name 9 better cities.

Talking basketball here, not quality of cities...

Better cities:
NY
LA
Chicago
Miami

Rather play basketball in:
Bston
Dallas
Houston
Philly
GS
Phoenix
DC

thescore53
11-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Talking basketball here, not quality of cities...

Better cities:
NY
LA
Chicago
Miami

Rather play basketball in:
Bston
Dallas
Houston
Philly
GS
Phoenix
DC

toronto has alot more to offer than miami, boston and dallas should be ahead, ... ii agree with the rest.

Geargo Wallace
11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
We'll have to change our team name to the T-Rexes

ink
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM
i think shaq was just trying to attack bosh

+1

HoopsDrive
11-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Out of nowhere Shaq takes a shot at Bosh :laugh2:

prash
11-12-2010, 07:45 PM
My post is directed at anyone who thinks there is a better city than Toronto with a NBA franchise.

CNBC ranks Toronto 4th best city in the World to live. http://www.cnbc.com/id/36938560/The_World_s_Best_Places_To_Live_2010?slide=8

The Economist publicizes the same study. http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?info_name=The_Global_Liveability_Rep ort&page=noads&rf=0

Another report done by a different group found Toronto in the top 20. No city ranked ahead of Toronto currently has an NBA franchise.

http://www.mercer.com/articles/quality-of-living-survey-report-2010

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2010#City_Ranking_Tables

And these studies weren't don't ages ago. All this is up to date.

sep11ie
11-12-2010, 07:50 PM
If Shaq would have said that on PSD, it woulda been deleted.

prash
11-12-2010, 07:51 PM

hahahaha

Tony_Starks
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I think Toronto is a great city. I don't think that was ever the problem.

Wait just a ding dang minute, what in the sam hell has transpired with your sig? Don't tell me there were complaints!!!

thescore53
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Hahahahahah really? My post gets deleted when he clearly baited me when he said "from a guy from NJ"
wtf does that have to do with the topic?
Some of the mods on this site are ****ing stupid I swear.

are u upset ?

thescore53
11-12-2010, 08:04 PM
My post is directed at anyone who thinks there is a better city than Toronto with a NBA franchise.

CNBC ranks Toronto 4th best city in the World to live. http://www.cnbc.com/id/36938560/The_World_s_Best_Places_To_Live_2010?slide=8

The Economist publicizes the same study. http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?info_name=The_Global_Liveability_Rep ort&page=noads&rf=0

Another report done by a different group found Toronto in the top 20. No city ranked ahead of Toronto currently has an NBA franchise.

http://www.mercer.com/articles/quality-of-living-survey-report-2010

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2010#City_Ranking_Tables

And these studies weren't don't ages ago. All this is up to date.

dont bother.

Mattb7
11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Toronto is definitely a top 5 city. They have a huge Sports fan base even though their teams aren't that good. What I don't understand is how players use the taxes as an excuse. There are alot more NBA teams that charge more taxes then Toronto.

thescore53
11-12-2010, 08:17 PM
i feel like im repeating myself about the tax situaiton in toronto.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2010, 08:48 PM

hahahaha, true dude.

Ragun
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
didnt amare also say toronto was his favourite nba city (other than NY of course)

ink
11-12-2010, 10:28 PM
didnt amare also say toronto was his favourite nba city (other than NY of course)

He also said Vancouver was his favourite city and spends part of his summers in his house here. He probably asks what city he's in during every interview and then says "____ is my favourite city". lol.

I still think he is just yanking Bosh's chain.

David_Stern
11-12-2010, 10:32 PM
:flag:

thescore53
11-12-2010, 11:30 PM
He also said Vancouver was his favourite city and spends part of his summers in his house here. He probably asks what city he's in during every interview and then says "____ is my favourite city". lol.

I still think he is just yanking Bosh's chain.

he didnt say tor was his fav city... they asked him whats his fav road city.. he said new york but thats isnt road for me anymore... then he was like toronto is pretty cool.

Guru™
11-13-2010, 12:25 AM
are u upset ?

Not really, I would simply like an explanation on why his post wasn't deleted.

clutchski
11-13-2010, 02:12 AM

I appreciate this comment.

Byronicle
11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
he is right there

you guys are thinking oh its only toronto, its a whole country following the raptors

sep11ie
11-13-2010, 01:36 PM
he is right there

you guys are thinking oh its only toronto, its a whole country following the raptors

Don't the Memphis Grizzlies play in Canada?:D

bradyoverrated
11-13-2010, 01:57 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

Miami? no thanks!

Corey
11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't see what all of the confusion is about.

Every NBA player loves visiting Toronto. They just don't necessarily want to shack up there and play for the Raptors.

ink
11-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't see what all of the confusion is about.

Every NBA player loves visiting Toronto. They just don't necessarily want to shack up there and play for the Raptors.

Exactly. And it isn't the "multi-culturalism" that everyone cites as being so attractive. It's the parties, the strippers, and the night life. The thing is, players can get that when they're visiting with other teams so why would that compel them to want to play for the local team? In fact, if they lived there with their families they probably wouldn't get to take in all that night life.

When the team wins they will attract players. The problem is that in the meantime it is very hard to get players good enough to win so it's a vicious circle.

king4day
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

I think Toronto is a bigger, more thriving city than Miami.

spreadeagle
11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
People from Toronto care too much what Americans think. Its simple if you got good management,good coaches,and a history of winning players will come play on mars..when V.C was running things you had jay z rockin raptors jerseys,free agents wanting to come here...oh and yes the ladies in Tdot are really hot

Byronicle
11-13-2010, 10:39 PM
People from Toronto care too much what Americans think. Its simple if you got good management,good coaches,and a history of winning players will come play on mars..when V.C was running things you had jay z rockin raptors jerseys,free agents wanting to come here...oh and yes the ladies in Tdot are really hot

well i have to disagree

i know there are canadians that make a big deal on this PSD forum, but those guys are actually just kids and are being really immature, and its unfortunate that you think they are speaking for the rest of toronto, i dont remember when maybe 100 members spoke for a population of 1 million

i got cousins in the states so i am not being racist, but it seems like americans want us to care what americans think right? no of course not, no one cares just immature boys care

Byronicle
11-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Exactly. And it isn't the "multi-culturalism" that everyone cites as being so attractive. It's the parties, the strippers, and the night life. The thing is, players can get that when they're visiting with other teams so why would that compel them to want to play for the local team? In fact, if they lived there with their families they probably wouldn't get to take in all that night life.

When the team wins they will attract players. The problem is that in the meantime it is very hard to get players good enough to win so it's a vicious circle.

yea definitely, its just the team plays doodoo most of their years in existence, if a team is a winner they will attract lots of players, especially those good quality men that sign for veteran minimum just for a shot to win a championship

Kenny Powders
11-13-2010, 10:49 PM

:clap: I just read that whole exchange. I agree. Classic.

Kenny Powders
11-13-2010, 10:56 PM

It has nothing to do with loyalty. The Raptors fans maybe be the most loyal, or very close to it. Its the fact that American basketball players need to be in the American spotlight. Thus, Toronto loses out.

Giraffes Rule
11-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Dallas is definitely a better market than Toronto. GS, not so much. The Dallas Ft Worth area has a bigger population, and rivalries with the other two Texas teams make the Mavs a pretty exciting team. I don't think Toronto has that kind of a draw.

Mc Lovin
11-13-2010, 11:31 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

Have you ever been to Toronto Guru? I've been there 4 times. Once on my high school class trip, once I went to Buffalo for work and walked across the bridge and partied in Toronto all night then smoked a blunt right above the Niagara Falls and once again with my girlfriend. There's so many things to do in Toronto man. I would definitely say it is a top 3 city for NBA players.

alchemist0123
11-13-2010, 11:54 PM
u know it doesnt matter if players are ignorant towards canada and toronto. cause there will influx of canadian talent coming over.

andrew wiggins, cory joseph, kris joseph, myk kanongo, tristan thompson,kevin pangos. and some really good highscoolers, just wait,

they should just not declare themselves for the draft when they are nba ready and sign here as FA's.

alchemist0123
11-13-2010, 11:57 PM
yea definitely, its just the team plays doodoo most of their years in existence, if a team is a winner they will attract lots of players, especially those good quality men that sign for veteran minimum just for a shot to win a championship

agreed, "if you build it they will come" nba style.

SpeedyRecovery
11-14-2010, 12:18 AM
i agree, canadians also care wayyy too much about what american fans and players think. we know we've got a great country and lot's of american citites get cold too, toughen up!
also that winning creates a good environment and people attract to that. we have one of the best and lucrative sport towns in the world, win and people will follow. just like the early 90's jays, the late 80's oilers, etc. this young team looks more promising then most others.

Draco
11-14-2010, 03:51 AM
i agree, canadians also care wayyy too much about what american fans and players think. we know we've got a great country and lot's of american citites get cold too, toughen up!
also that winning creates a good environment and people attract to that. we have one of the best and lucrative sport towns in the world, win and people will follow. just like the early 90's jays, the late 80's oilers, etc. this young team looks more promising then most others.

Just my own observation.. Canadian verse U.S.A. references are pretty common in Canada. It's not so common in the states.

JC_
11-14-2010, 04:51 AM

yeah and not even a good one. How long was Bosh on Toronto? and how many good teams has shaq jumped to in his career?

SpeedyRecovery
11-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Just my own observation.. Canadian verse U.S.A. references are pretty common in Canada. It's not so common in the states.

ya i don't know why it happens, i don't give a ****. i'd rather live in canada personally. but at the same time americans are completely ignorant about the great country up north, kids that just play basketball aren't usually the most educated as well so it doesn't help.

SeoulBeatz
11-14-2010, 07:10 PM
lol, shaq.
LA, NY, CHI, MIA, etc.
Come on man.

I'm from NYC and lemme tell you, Toronto is verry nice.

It's the cleanest major city ive ever been to, it's diverse, modern, and the weed laws are great :)

dont judge where you've never been..

SeoulBeatz
11-14-2010, 07:14 PM
ya i don't know why it happens, i don't give a ****. i'd rather live in canada personally. but at the same time americans are completely ignorant about the great country up north, kids that just play basketball aren't usually the most educated as well so it doesn't help.

not sure what to make of that statement?

tredigs
11-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Ahhh, the irony of your own ignorance.

What I think he's saying, SeoulBeatz (but doesn't want to come out and actually write it) is that black kids aren't educated. That in itself has its own vast argument and we'd have to get into class structures and socio economics, but somehow I think he'd rather just live in his own ball of ignorance and spew a pseudo-elitist comment that has no relevance to the actual topic.

edit: Also, I'd have to recommend that you guys not take snippets of quotes from interviews and make huge, layered arguments about them. Context is king, and I doubt 1/10th of you actually read/heard the whole thing.

jon32
11-14-2010, 07:23 PM

uhhhhh .... Toronto > Dallas , Golden State....even Boston. Toronto is basically a smaller New York. It has way more to offer than Boston. Half my family is from Boston.....its not THAT amazing. C'mon man get serious.

jon32
11-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm from NYC and lemme tell you, Toronto is verry nice.

It's the cleanest major city ive ever been to, it's diverse, modern, and the weed laws are great :)

dont judge where you've never been..

Thank you.....we take pride in our weed. Come to Nova Scotia......we dont believe in too many laws that get in the way of fun.

jon32
11-14-2010, 07:27 PM
not sure what to make of that statement?

you must have just played basketball then.....J/K

tredigs
11-14-2010, 07:28 PM
uhhhhh .... Toronto > Dallas , Golden State....even Boston. Toronto is basically a smaller New York. It has way more to offer than Boston. Half my family is from Boston.....its not THAT amazing. C'mon man get serious.

Brilliant argument, and backed up by facts on both sides. Nice!

This forum's amazing.

dtmagnet
11-14-2010, 07:30 PM
I find it strange that this attitude only exists among basketball players, baseball and football players will play anywhere as long as the price is right.

THE GIPPER
11-14-2010, 07:38 PM
NBA wise, I would think of Toronto as maybe a top 5 / 8 city. However, shockingly enough, Toronto is the 2nd greatest tourist city in North America behind NYC.

lol no way man whats so nice about TOR??? not even the nicest city in canada

ink
11-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Let's not get into debates over whose city is greatest. We stopped talking about Shaq's comments a while ago.