PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley

Evolution23
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
IMO Pat Riley's return would not make the Heat significantly better. The Heat still lack the inside presense to win rebounding and the hustle battles against taller teams. Bosh still hasn't proven he can fit in with the team and looks lost. Also bringing Riley back wouldn't make Bosh play better Defense because Bosh hasn't shown he can play good D. So if anything Riley should bring in some Scrappy Bigs next season then come back to coach the Heat. What do you guys think?

Avenged
11-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I think you're underrating Riley's coaching ability quite a bit.

Great coaches are able to motivate, light a fire under, and improve players. At the end of the day, the players have to be able to put in the work, but all of that is essential with great coaching [imo]. With Riley, their frontcourt might probably still struggle against greater frontcourts than theirs, but I believe with a great coach, he can utilize their other weapons on the teams so much that their frontcourt wouldn't be as much as a "struggle" as it is right now.

barreleffact
11-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Riley is one of the few great coaches. He would certainly have Lebrons respect, unlike Spo.

Also, You dont bring a team of this caliber together and focus on what you lack! You find ways to Enforce what your advantages are and force others into your style in order to exploit their weaknesses. THIS is how they would attain dominance through him. Of course he would also address their personal weaknesses and tighten up a great number of things but this is do to taking advantage of what they have.

redsox0717
11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
The biggest thing the Heat need right now is motivation, which Riley could bring. Eric Spoelstra couldn't motivate a fat person to eat at McDonalds

Evolution23
11-12-2010, 01:05 PM
But can a great coach like Riley really solve their big problem, which is scrappiness on the boards and tougher interior presense?

Big Quett
11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I think you're underrating Riley's coaching ability quite a bit.

Great coaches are able to motivate, light a fire under, and improve players. At the end of the day, the players have to be able to put in the work, but all of that is essential with great coaching [imo]. With Riley, their frontcourt might probably still struggle against greater frontcourts than theirs, but I believe with a great coach, he can utilize their other weapons on the teams so much that their frontcourt wouldn't be as much as a "struggle" as it is right now.

Riley is one of the few great coaches. He would certainly have Lebrons respect, unlike Spo.

Also, You dont bring a team of this caliber together and focus on what you lack! You find ways to Enforce what your advantages are and force others into your style in order to exploit their weaknesses. THIS is how they would attain dominance through him. Of course he would also address their personal weaknesses and tighten up a great number of things but this is do to taking advantage of what they have.

Exactly. The defense has been sub-par and inconsistent. Riley wont make them a great defense but they will surely be a better offense. The sets would be more crisp and not as sloppy as they look now. There is no reason the offense should be this mediocre. Most of there sets are 1 on 1's with Wade and James. Great offense and not turning the ball over will make your defense look better

Geargo Wallace
11-12-2010, 01:29 PM
But can a great coach like Riley really solve their big problem, which is scrappiness on the boards and tougher interior presense?

you might have forgotten what he did for your Knicks on the toughness end.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
First, I must say the pic in your sig is sweet. I dunno who that is, but she's got a sweet @$$

Second. You are right. Pat Riley has always had a defensive pressence in the middle: Kareem, Ewing, Mourning, Shaq. He's never won without one. Could he? We dont know. Could he get Bosh to play defence and work the boards? I think so. Defence is something you teach. It is about effort, it is about recommitting yourself to that effort on every single play. Not letting what is happening on the offensive end affect what you are doing on the other end. Riley is a master motivator and a great teacher. that doesnt mean i dont think the guy is a back-stabbing glory hound (see how he threw SVG under the buss: "He Stan, you mind taking over the team while they suck so i dont get a bunch of losses on my coaching record? Sweet, thanks for making them good again, now you can go hang out with your family while i collect another ring"). Sorry Spo, your turn is up soon! Its just how Riley is.

Bottom line: NY was NOT a great defensive team, or offensive team when he arrived. In the course of one season they redefined who they were. He did the same thing with Miami. And he has gotten huge egos to play together in the past.

Riley could make them better defenders, and there are a couple bigs on the market still without homes. Sheed could be talked into another run, and he is a smart defender, and Eric Dampier still around.

Yeah, a HOF coach replacing a guy who is practically a rookie coach? I think they'd improve.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Ink already closed this exact same thread OP. We don't need an opinion of the Heat every time something happens. This is an opinion thread, of which we don't need after the long summer of bashing and baiting.