PDA

View Full Version : Is Monta Ellis a superstar?

oldenpolynice
11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
It's an interesting debate. He doesn't have the individual accolades for it yet (0 all-star appearances), but he's put up really good numbers over the years and his team is winning. He's even saying all the right things.

Here's an argument in his favor: http://www.neontommy.com/news/2010/11/monta-ellis-superstar-its-not-far-fetched-it-sounds

What do you guys think? Is he superstar-worthy? (If not, can he get there in the next 3 years?)

LTBaByyy
11-11-2010, 07:04 PM
By the end of the year I think he will!!! He is FINALLY effecient

what54!?
11-11-2010, 07:05 PM
he making that way to it. If the warriors make the playoffs he'll get some respect

AI4MVP
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
definetly. without question. i still say hes one of the top 10 players in the nba

redsox0717
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
In terms of pure scoring ability, he is probably top 5. But when you think of him, you don't really think superstar. Now, if he continues playing at his current level all season, he will certainly be in the discussion of being a superstar.

IAmKira
11-11-2010, 07:13 PM
hes #2 player in the league. he sure believes so!

JRisdabest
11-11-2010, 07:18 PM
umm NO

CityofChaos
11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
If Maurice Williams was an all-star, then Monta Ellis should be considered more than just a superstar.

millerandco
11-11-2010, 07:26 PM
this season yes. he's basically unguardable when attacking the basket

John Walls Era
11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
hes been really good this season. IMO he was just as good last season, but the numbers are better (more efficient).

Hunter48MVP
11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Definetly. He is a beast

thescore53
11-11-2010, 07:32 PM
i dont see it :shrug:

Beltrans Mole
11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
how many threads have there been about this guy???

xxcubs22xx
11-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't go that far.

He's a great player...But superstar? I don't think so.

KeithLBC
11-11-2010, 07:35 PM
No. He's a great offensive player that plays on a team that prides itself on it's up tempo type of play and is not known for playing any defense. There are LOTS of guys in the league that will shine if they only had to focus on offense.

tcav701
11-11-2010, 07:36 PM
If he gets GS in the playoffs and performs well, then and ONLY then will I possibly consider him a superstar.

I will not deny that he is a top notch scorer.

Giants-49ers-Ws
11-11-2010, 07:45 PM
big monta fan here...i think if he gets us to the playoffs he's a star..and yes, we will make the playoffs...

Avenged
11-11-2010, 07:54 PM
He's not a superstar, not one bit.

He's playing at a high level right now but he has to remain consistent with it throughout. Seeing as how bad he was last season, a couple of good games this year doesn't necessarily make him a superstar, heck he's not even a star. If he continues the way he is, perhaps you can consider him a star by seasons end.

Lloyd Christmas
11-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Every thread started about him is getting less and less negative. Maybe he is gaining respect?

lavilevi23
11-11-2010, 08:00 PM
A superstar has to play on both sides of the court and not just score. so no.

poleandreel
11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
hduhfuisdhuf

poleandreel
11-11-2010, 08:07 PM

just from this blind statement i can tell you have never watched a warriors game. he has been playing good defense this year. way to repeat what past psd'ers have said without forming your own opinion:clap:

kingkenny01
11-11-2010, 08:08 PM
he got do something in the playoffs to be a star

smith&wesson
11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
absolutley

PlezPlayDKnicks
11-11-2010, 08:12 PM

So does that make Bosh , Boozer, or Amare superstars. None are known for playing D. I've liked Monta since his first year. He's learning and he is attempting to play D again. When he played with Baron back in the day he was a ball hawk who pressured opposing guards. He got away from that for a few seasons but now it seems like he's trying to play d again. He's deserving of a star label.

Avenged
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
So does that make Bosh , Boozer, or Amare superstars. None are known for playing D. I've liked Monta since his first year. He's learning and he is attempting to play D again. When he played with Baron back in the day he was a ball hawk who pressured opposing guards. He got away from that for a few seasons but now it seems like he's trying to play d again. He's deserving of a star label.

Bosh, Boozer, and Amare aren't superstars. They're "stars".

And Ellis is not deserving of a star label a few games in into the season. Give it time, if he continues this way, it'll happen.

MurderousPress
11-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't think he's a superstar. But to me a superstar is someone who can, under any circumstance, get 48-50 wins, carry a team to the playoffs and make some noise. There aren't too many superstars in the league. I'd say Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Howard, Durant, Chris Paul, and maybe Melo.

Crackadalic
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
idk about superstar bout id be shock if he is not a allstar this season kid impress me

kswissdaf
11-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Sorry but GS states are inflated. D wright averaged like 6 points a game last year now he is up to 20 a game

Lloyd Christmas
11-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Sorry but GS states are inflated. D wright averaged like 6 points a game last year now he is up to 20 a game

D Wright also said that Monta reminds him of Wade with how similar their game is.

MickeyMgl
11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
No.

Mckphins
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
a star yes, a superstar? no! To the person who said hes top 10 in the league, ur dreaming! Im not bashing the guy as i think hes great, but hes not a kobe, lebron, melo, paul, durant, and never will be

MickeyMgl
11-11-2010, 09:06 PM
My definition:

"Superstars" are the people that my parents - who know next to nothing about basketball - have heard of. "Superstars" transcend the game. Hence, they are "super" - more than mere "stars" of the game. All other very good players are just "stars", and that could even include some MVPs. Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki are great players, but I'm not sure they're superstars.

Kobe. Lebron. Shaq. Wade.

Basically, think of who Madison Avenue likes, and that will give you a hint at who's a superstar.

DoJoTheSlasher
11-11-2010, 09:14 PM
He is borderline. Like Amare, bosh, Randolph.... Puts up great stats but will never be able to lead a team anywhere.

DoJoTheSlasher
11-11-2010, 09:17 PM
My definition:

"Superstars" are the people that my parents - who know next to nothing about basketball - have heard of. "Superstars" transcend the game. Hence, they are "super" - more than mere "stars" of the game. All other very good players are just "stars", and that could even include some MVPs. Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki are great players, but I'm not sure they're superstars.

Kobe. Lebron. Shaq. Wade.

Basically, think of who Madison Avenue likes, and that will give you a hint at who's a superstar.

LMAO... Dirk is a top 25 player of all time, one of the greatest players to play. He is easily a superstar.

And cmon...... Tim Duncan not a superstar? The greatest PF and top 10 player of all time with 4 rings and 2 MVPs and like 10 + All Defensive and All NBA teams.

You say Wade and LeBron though.......

EYDI819
11-11-2010, 09:19 PM
a star yes, a superstar? no! To the person who said hes top 10 in the league, ur dreaming! Im not bashing the guy as i think hes great, but hes not a kobe, lebron, melo, paul, durant, and never will be

I understand kobe, lebron, wade, paul being superstars because they both play on both ends of the floor and actually good at it. But what has melo and durant done that ellis hasnt done? Besides being loved by the media. When you think about it, why is melo and durant a superstar? Isn't it because the media wants them to be a superstar? melo and durant can score so can ellis. melo and durant went to the playoffs (with help ofcourse) so did ellis. melo and durant dont play defense, same with ellis (before) so why is he not in the same sentence as durant and melo? Because media is not covering him enough. This ofcourse is just my opinion

EYDI819
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
LMAO... Dirk is a top 25 player of all time, one of the greatest players to play. He is easily a superstar.

And cmon...... Tim Duncan not a superstar? The greatest PF and top 10 player of all time with 4 rings and 2 MVPs and like 10 + All Defensive and All NBA teams.

You say Wade and LeBron though.......

I agree with this... Duncan is a Superstar. Anybody who say otherwise is either new to following the game or just looking at flashy players. The Big Fundamental maybe boring in the court but he gets the job done. How many 34 year old NBA player you know that averages double double. A superstar still gets the job done even after his prime. Evidence is Timmy. Also check his accomplishments!

masalex1205
11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
na