PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Hollinger's ranking system?

sp1derm00
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

I just noticed that the 1-6 Rockets are ranked OVER the 6-1 Spurs, 6-3 Hawks, 6-2 Warriors.

WHAT?!

justinnum1
11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
If you would search, this question was answered yesterday.

JordansBulls
11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
It's based on the SOS (strength of schedule thus far)

yankees1088
11-11-2010, 04:25 PM
His ranking system is ******* and just an excuse to have the Heat on top... God forbid ESPN forgot about Lebrons team or didnt cover them like they cover Favre and the Cowboys

tcav701
11-11-2010, 04:38 PM
He's a stats geek and that is the problem.

Read the other thread there is about 50 reasons in there why his method, at least at this point, is laughable.

He gives credit to teams that lose to good teams or lose close games. (Moral victores)

But anyone that has actually played a sport knows that moral victories are for losers.

junion
11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
he has a system and it's based on strength of schedule, and stats, and knowing that, you have the right to follow his rankings or others' rankings based on their own guidelines. it's best to really just make your own rankings based on your own belief in what's important - taking everything you feel is important into consideration.

these people make their own guidelines to prove their own point and their own opinion - it's up to you to agree or disagree.

i like thinking about my own. i don't have a ranking system, but i have an idea about who is better than who, and which match ups would be an upset, etc. :shrug:

he's entitled to his own ranking system, the same way you're entitled to disagree.

WadeKobe
11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
His ranking system is ******* and just an excuse to have the Heat on top... God forbid ESPN forgot about Lebrons team or didnt cover them like they cover Favre and the Cowboys

It's comments like this that keep the conversation from ever progressing and rising to a higher level. Sad.

Supa
11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
It's comments like this that keep the conversation from ever progressing and rising to a higher level. Sad.

Higher level of what? Ignorance?

I can see that Miami fans' logic is at the same level as Hollinger's; it's no wonder they like to defend him.

---

Sly Guy
11-11-2010, 05:37 PM
give it time, it usually looks a little better as the season goes on.....not saying that I fully endorse a simple number crunching method to simplify the whole sport tho.

ink
11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550769