PDA

View Full Version : How emotional will you be the day your favorite player retires?

m26555
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I bring this up because, I think the for the most part, the age range on PSD is in the teens to the early 20s (I know there are some younger and older members, but the majority fall within that range), and based on that, all of the players that we grew up watching and idolizing (Garnett, Duncan, Shaq, Iverson, Kidd, McGrady, etc.) are all clearly declining and retirement is not too far around the corner for them.

My question to you is: how will you handle it when you see the guy you grew up trying to emulate on your basketball hoop in the backyard or on your driveway call that dreaded press conference to announce his retirement?

I'm trying to envision it now, and I think it will certainly be a strangely emotional day for me when Garnett calls it quits. Yeah, I know most people here think of him as a douche, but regardless of that fact, this is a guy I started following when he first came into the league when I was five years old. I modeled my game after him throughout my entire basketball career in elementary school, middle school, and high school and I have three jerseys of his (all from Minnesota). I can't even begin to imagine what watching basketball will be like for me without Kevin Garnett (and no "BUT HE'S A DOUCHE!" comments, because that isn't what this thread is about).

What do you guys think? Duncan fans? Shaq fans? Heck, even Kobe fans, as the end of his career is really much closer than it seems given all the mileage on his body.

Shady66
11-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I will be very sad when Steve Nash retires. Quite honestly I see myself watching basketball less when he does retire, because he makes the game so amazing to watch. Also he is probably the main reason I watch basketball so it will definitely be a very sad day.

braveniler58
11-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I'll be super duper depressed. Not being able to watch Steve Nash play anymore will suck...

hugepatsfan
11-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I'll get over it when Big Baby retires.

m26555
11-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I'll get over it when Big Baby retires.
:laugh2:

Statik1
11-10-2010, 10:52 PM
When Kobe leaves the game I leave this world..... jk :D

AI4MVP
11-10-2010, 10:58 PM
The day Steve Nash retires will be one of the saddest days of my life. Ive literally almost cried just THINKING about it.

this video always makes me kinda emotional cuz of the music and stuff. it makes me think of the day nash will retire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDrYkMFXscI

JasonJohnHorn
11-10-2010, 11:01 PM
He already retired, his name was John Stockton and I was very bummed! The league will never see another player like him.

carnage101
11-10-2010, 11:09 PM
when reggie miller retired so did the entire pacer franchise ;(
it took me a few years to even want to watch basketball.... damn u david stern

IAmKira
11-10-2010, 11:16 PM
He already retired, his name was John Stockton and I was very bummed! The league will never see another player like him.

nash, d-william, paul, perhaps wall or curry? :D

desertlakeshow
11-10-2010, 11:16 PM
My favorite player already retired, due to the HIV virus. It was like getting punched in the stomach when Magic made that afternoon anouncement. I gave up basketball for a few years, lost interest really.

The longer you watch the sport you realize that when one player leaves another will take his place. Sad but true.

Kashmir13579
11-10-2010, 11:29 PM
It already happened...

Gerry Mcnamara

phlp_bj
11-10-2010, 11:30 PM
i moped around when reggie miller played his last game

jimm120
11-10-2010, 11:34 PM
My favorite player in ANY sport, Patrick Ewing, already retired.

Can't say I was choking up or anything.

But I sure do miss him.

btw, I'm 26, so I was in my teens when he retired.

Rafer17
11-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Imagine the day Shaq retires. ESPN is going to have a field day.

Also, when will all the players drafted before 2000 be out of the nba? 2016?

Joshtd1
11-10-2010, 11:39 PM
IDK about crying, but I know it definately wont be the same for the Spurs when Duncan retires. I am planning to make sure to go as many games possible in his final season.

JackB
11-10-2010, 11:40 PM
OMG !! Are you kidding me? Emotional over a player ?:facepalm:

m26555
11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
OMG !! Are you kidding me? Emotional over a player ?:facepalm:
You obviously don't know what the word "emotional" even means.

JackB
11-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Oh I'm sorry honey. Did I hurt your feelings? Get a life.

Giraffes Rule
11-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Already happened in when Craig Biggio retired for the Astros, I got to go see one of his last games (I think his 3rd or 2nd to last game). I was mostly really happy getting to remember all the great things he had done in his career, a little sad that I wouldn't be able to see him anymore though.

I imagine it'll be a little more difficult when Tim Duncan retires though. The Astros were declining when Biggio retired and weren't really competing for anything. The Spurs have never missed the playoffs as long as I can remember, so that will be a hard thing to wrap my brain around.

el_primo_nano
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
The day kobe starts losing it I will be a sad man. He is a man driven to win. He never quits, only tries to get better. Not too many out there like him anymore. Yea he's had his flaws and not always been the greatest team player, but he learned and has two more rings to show for it. I will miss him. KD is looking like he is ready to take the reigns.

stawka
11-11-2010, 12:18 AM
When Shaq retires, I'll lose A LOT of interest in the game. I left my mancrush on Jordan behind when Shaq came into the league. There sure won't be another Diesel

avrpatsfan
11-11-2010, 12:39 AM
I'll be devastated when Kobe retires ;)

More-Than-Most
11-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Steve Nash in Basketball and Brett favre in football... Also I mean when he retires for good.:(

_KB24_
11-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Not going to be that upset when I see Shaq retire. I felt sick to my stomach when he was traded and was a little emotional and I would have still had a heartful moment had he retired with the Heat. But his juggling act over the last couple of years makes me think he's already gone. Will miss him but will not be overwhelmed.

I still can't believe AI has most likely played his last game in the NBA. He deserved better than that. I do think he made a couple mistakes with choosing teams and situations, but he did not get the fair treatment a HOF'er like him deserves. Would have been ideal for him to retire as a Sixer in a ceremony last year but didn't happen.

I don't know what to expect when Kobe retires. He has been the King of LA and basketball in general for the past 10+ years. Their hasn't been a more polarizing figure than him and he has been amazing for this game. Don't know about crying, but I know I will be emotional seeing Kobe retire.

Geargo Wallace
11-11-2010, 01:05 AM
If anything happens to Tim Duncan I will cry my *** off. I used to work on my baby hooks and fundamentals because of this guy. He made me the player that I am today. Not necessarily the strongest and meanest, but I got it done just like he did. The day he retires I will do something in his honour.

Young2Kinsler
11-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Dirk...I thought about this last year, and I got extremely sad. I don't know if there is a player in basketball today that's even comparable to Dirk in what he has done for a single franchise(Duncan is close around there too). Dirk is probably my favorite athlete ever, or a close second to Michael Young.

Going to his last game ever will be sad, but I will definately be there.

BTW, there is nothing gay about crying about sports, since we pour so much of our lives into them, well at least I do.

JJ_JKidd
11-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Not like im gonna commit suicide. :rolleyes:

John Walls Era
11-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Good thing Wall is a rookie!

numba1CHANGsta
11-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Ill be very sad when Kobe retires but ill get over it after the team signs a big name player like Kevin Durant :D

ink
11-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Really couldn't care less. Hopefully they will have a life outside of basketball worked out so they'll be fine. Why should we live and die with what "stars" do? How is this different than girls who love Justin Bieber? I actually find this a pretty sad thread but I don't blame the OP. It's the screwed up way we look at sport. People need to have their own lives so they don't depend on some star for a sense of self worth. If they did we wouldn't have all these fights over Kobe and Lebron and whatever heroes we're supposed to worship this year.

Baller1
11-11-2010, 03:22 AM
Gary Payton is already gone.

CountSackula
11-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Man, I'll need a box of tissues when Kobe calls it quits. And they won't be happy tissues :cry:

COBY KARL
11-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Well Adam Morrison isn't retired, but he isn't playing in the NBA either...so as of now...life has no meaning

Stuckey#3
11-11-2010, 03:47 AM
When Big Ben retires I will probably shed a tear. Detroit has already lost its swagger and is three years removed from the glory days... but when "Fear the Fro" officially calls it a day... I will be pretty down. I anticipate within the next year or two.

Hellcrooner
11-11-2010, 04:15 AM
0 Im and adult now and i spent all my teen tears in 91 with the Aids Announcemente :(

So i will care 0 when Ducnan retires or Pau Retires.

Hellcrooner
11-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Also is a good thing Kobe still has some good years left on him and most of his Worshipping MOnks will no longer be teens/childern when it happens, or there could b massive ritual suicides.

Antipod
11-11-2010, 04:40 AM
They all did ... though time to find a hero in NYK now days :(

Spurred1
11-11-2010, 04:45 AM
I might feel a slight tinge of sadness when one of my favorite players retires, but beyond that-nothing. Sorry, guess I'm just not that emotional about it. I would likely feel more emotional if my favorite player died-but even then, I'm not sure.

Tom81
11-11-2010, 05:05 AM
My My favorite player is already retires Barkley it was very sad day.

JackB
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Really couldn't care less. Hopefully they will have a life outside of basketball worked out so they'll be fine. Why should we live and die with what "stars" do? How is this different than girls who love Justin Bieber? I actually find this a pretty sad thread but I don't blame the OP. It's the screwed up way we look at sport. People need to have their own lives so they don't depend on some star for a sense of self worth. If they did we wouldn't have all these fights over Kobe and Lebron and whatever heroes we're supposed to worship this year.

Well said. :clap:

Heediot
11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
none, any sucka thats get emotional when an athlete retires needs help!

RaiderLakersA's
11-11-2010, 12:23 PM
That has already happened.

The day that Magic Johnson announced that he was retiring from the NBA due to AIDS I was blown completely out of the water.

llemon
11-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I'll cry and cry and cry, then cry some more.

PHX2daDEATH
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
zero..I dont cry when millionaires die or retire..cept when stevie wonder dies i might shed a tear...

ManRam
11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't think I'll be emotional at all really. No one really retires suddenly, and we all see it coming. All players for the most part keep playing well past their prime, which makes it easier to see them go. It's never really sudden and/or shocking.

Plus, Jameer Nelson will never retire - he's too good for that ****.

redsox0717
11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
When Pierce retires, sure I'll be a little sad. But I'll use it as an opportunity to smile and reflect back on all the great memories he brought me as a Celtics fan over the years, both good and bad. I know that sounds cliche and stupid, but it's what I'll do.

ink
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM
When Pierce retires, sure I'll be a little sad. But I'll use it as an opportunity to smile and reflect back on all the great memories he brought me as a Celtics fan over the years, both good and bad. I know that sounds cliche and stupid, but it's what I'll do.

Good post. Whenever any favourite player retires that's pretty much what I do. If they're a favourite player they're bound to have more good memories than bad.

ink
11-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't think I'll be emotional at all really. No one really retires suddenly, and we all see it coming. All players for the most part keep playing well past their prime, which makes it easier to see them go. It's never really sudden and/or shocking.

Two of the players I think the most of are Grant Hill and Steve Nash. They have already played longer than I expected them to so I'm not going to be upset when they retire. It's their career not mine.

DLeeicious
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I was 9 when Jordan retired the first time and I cried and was very upset. I was just about to start my murderous rampage when he returned and everything was okay again. When he retired the 2nd time I was older and dealt with it better.

justinnum1
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Depends how far into their career they are...If wade retired this season, that would hurt a lot more than if he retired when he is 37 and not such a huge factor on a team.

Sly Guy
11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I won't be emotional. Because by the time a player is ready to retire they already suck, so I usually have a new favorite player by that time.

thesparky33
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm not as attached to Garnett now that he's left the Wolves. It would be a lot more emotional if he were still here when he retires.