PDA

View Full Version : Its the media's world, and we're just living in it

TheHoopsProphet
11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Does it bother you how much influence the media has over the sports world? They decipher the next superstars, control facetime, give preemptive MVPs, decide which games are worthy of national airtime, and which players are the good people vs which players are the selfish people. They mold our malleable minds and the inception of their ideas cascades throughout the entire audience and just feeds on itself developing a life of its own.

Case in point: Kevin Durant. He's become a marketing goldmine. Humble, young, extremely talented, scoring title. God/Stern only knows how much bigger he'd be if he was still playing in Seattle. The media alone has decided he's the next great player after the disastrous hit Lebron's image took (And the reason Lebron's image has taken a disastrous hit is partly because of The Decision but a good chunk of it has to do with him derailing from the path of the NEXT MJ. People criticized him for not hogging all the glory to himself as the indisputable best player on a team, like MJ did. And the reason we are constantly searching for the next MJ is because of the ridiculous amount of fame and money he gave to the NBA. The NBA corporate shareholders want that feeling again. Which is why a small part of me is rooting for Lebron to not do what was expected of him, even as a Laker fan. Because he's not ruining his chances of titles which is what the point of athletes are, he's ruining his chance of more sponsors to partner with him and the NBA)They have already crowned him an MVP, and it will be awfully dificult for anyone to pry away the award (which probably already has his name inscripted on it, with hearts around it) if his OKC team gets a 4th seed or better. players like Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, Rajon Rondo, Tim Duncan will all be overlooked because they're simply not seen as profitable for the NBA if they win the MVP. Its all profits, whose going to increase revenue the most, not whos the most important to their team.

But what really has stirred me towards this thread is the various Steve Nash rumors that have raged into media gossip over the last week. After coming across a headlined SI article online that reads "Nash Next to Go?", and an NBA.com article that read "Sayanara, Nash" and the constant references to a Ric Bucher ESPN interview where he merely mentioned Nash as a trade candidate, this insiginifcant interview being the apparent pandora's box of the nash rumors, it has never been more blatant to me how easily careers of athletes are controlled by those who write about them. No where has these articles stated any mentioning of the Suns FO trying to dangle Nash around the league, and only the Suns FO controls that. Yet, after these flamingo sports writers have all decided to hop on board with one leg and write about these rumors which are based on other rumors and assumptions, the Suns FO will probably be pressured to trade Nash to evade public chastising, even though they had no real intentions in the first place. The media wants Nash to retire a champion, they want Durant to lead the league in revenue, they want Lebron to be loved again and will do their best to write commercials to place him in and censor his personality from self-aggrandizing to loveable and gregarious.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 06:44 PM
the media's influence over our entire society is annoying

TheHoopsProphet
11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
the media's influence over our entire society is annoying

I agree, though its slightly more annoying to read posts that manifested from a mere glance of the first sentence or title, irrelevant to the thread other then being crowned as the first response.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I agree, though its slightly more annoying to read posts that manifested from a mere glance of the first sentence or title, irrelevant to the thread other then being crowned as the first response.

ha. touche

tcav701
11-10-2010, 06:57 PM
ESPN is the largest offender when it comes to sports media obviously. I think many times they create rumors and contorversy from "unnamed sources" to improve ratings.

About 5% of the rumors they put on their website actually pan out.

But this is all irrelevant because us the fans, give the media our attention which is their power.

As far as Stern, he's all about money. This is why rules are implemented to keep large market teams on top and "earning" top draft picks through ping pong balls.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 07:01 PM

so u can spell everythng except names right ?

and to answer the thread what hawkeye said. :D

TheHoopsProphet
11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
ha. touche

:up:

Ovratd1up
11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't really actually care about the media's influence on basketball though it does get annoying at times. More over I find it interesting that it is kind of like our world in a bubble. A sports bubble. Really we can analyze so much about our society, our world, and ourselves by taking a closer look at how the sports industry complex, if you will, functions.

But nobody seems to notice,
nobody seems to care.

Sactown
11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Does it bother you how much influence the media has over the sports world? They decipher the next superstars, control facetime, give preemptive MVPs, decide which games are worthy of national airtime, and which players are the good people vs which players are the selfish people. They mold our malleable minds and the inception of their ideas cascades throughout the entire audience and just feeds on itself developing a life of its own.

Case in point: Kevin Durant. He's become a marketing goldmine. Humble, young, extremely talented, scoring title. God/Stern only knows how much bigger he'd be if he was still playing in Seattle. The media alone has decided he's the next great player after the disastrous hit Lebron's image took (And the reason Lebron's image has taken a disastrous hit is partly because of The Decision but a good chunk of it has to do with him derailing from the path of the NEXT MJ. People criticized him for not hogging all the glory to himself as the indisputable best player on a team, like MJ did. And the reason we are constantly searching for the next MJ is because of the ridiculous amount of fame and money he gave to the NBA. The NBA corporate shareholders want that feeling again. Which is why a small part of me is rooting for Lebron to not do what was expected of him, even as a Laker fan. Because he's not ruining his chances of titles which is what the point of athletes are, he's ruining his chance of more sponsors to partner with him and the NBA)They have already crowned him an MVP, and it will be awfully dificult for anyone to pry away the award (which probably already has his name inscripted on it, with hearts around it) if his OKC team gets a 4th seed or better. players like Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, Rajon Rondo, Tim Duncan will all be overlooked because they're simply not seen as profitable for the NBA if they win the MVP. Its all profits, whose going to increase revenue the most, not whos the most important to their team.

But what really has stirred me towards this thread is the various Steve Nash rumors that have raged into media gossip over the last week. After coming across a headlined SI article online that reads "Nash Next to Go?", and an NBA.com article that read "Sayanara, Nash" and the constant references to a Ric Bucher ESPN interview where he merely mentioned Nash as a trade candidate, this insiginifcant interview being the apparent pandora's box of the nash rumors, it has never been more blatant to me how easily careers of athletes are controlled by those who write about them. No where has these articles stated any mentioning of the Suns FO trying to dangle Nash around the league, and only the Suns FO controls that. Yet, after these flamingo sports writers have all decided to hop on board with one leg and write about these rumors which are based on other rumors and assumptions, the Suns FO will probably be pressured to trade Nash to evade public chastising, even though they had no real intentions in the first place. The media wants Nash to retire a champion, they want Durant to lead the league in revenue, they want Lebron to be loved again and will do their best to write commercials to place him in and censor his personality from self-aggrandizing to loveable and gregarious.
WHAT!! NO PAUL GASOL? STEVEN NASH? LEJAMES? Everyone knows Lejames is Jamoca almond fudge good..

Hellcrooner
11-11-2010, 11:58 PM
hihgly anoying.

i wish it was only sport.

But meia has 99% of the blame to take for the ecomomic crisis worlwide.

king4day
11-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Great post Hoops! Awesome points

llemon
11-12-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't really actually care about the media's influence on basketball though it does get annoying at times. More over I find it interesting that it is kind of like our world in a bubble. A sports bubble. Really we can analyze so much about our society, our world, and ourselves by taking a closer look at how the sports industry complex, if you will, functions.

But nobody seems to notice,
nobody seems to care.

People notice and people care.

But it's almost impossible to fight the power at this point in time.

And that is truly a shame.

There is no justice, only what the media tells us is justice.

Kiss Ma Grits
11-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I blame the fans more then the media, the name on the back of the jersey has become more important then the name on the front of the jersey and it's because fans made it that way by supporting the brand of one player instead of the league, Jordan became bigger then the league and ever since he left it seems like the media, fans, and franchises have been looking for the "Next" MJ or better even since.

News24/7
11-12-2010, 12:30 AM
wtf? I thought you were one of the least-intelligent posters in the nba forum because of your constant miss spelling names like kobe with colby, or paul gasol, or lejames. But now i know your actually pretty bright, it's just you try to hard to be funny and fail miserably.

Do posts like that more often hoops :clap:

spartanbear
11-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah it's annoying but unfortunately sports are all about money. Hell, everything is all about money. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it were really all about the love of the game? The thrill of the competition? Professional sports are a business and the NBA is one of the better brands at capitalizing on that fact. You actually get to see the players facing. They seem tangible. You're led to believe they relate to you. Then they have an hour long special to poop on your dreams... LOL!