PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: when will they stop winning ?

thescore53
11-10-2010, 11:48 AM
i understand they have only 3 losing season since 1997. but when kobe retires, and everything disassembles will they go through years of losing like the rest of us ?

i asked some laker fans and they believe they'll just sign some elite guys in free agency.

but i dont think its that easy.

thoughts ??

Stunner
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thescore53
11-10-2010, 11:49 AM
seriously man.

bulls did go through rough years of losing after jordan why cant it happen to the lakers.

Hellcrooner
11-10-2010, 11:50 AM
After we are done wining rings this year or next year we will have 3-5 years being 1st /second round exits until we win another ring.
THats it.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 11:53 AM
its a well run franchise, with market appeal, and tons of money. I don't think they will ever be a non factor. Seriously, a bad year for the lakers would be 40 wins.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 11:55 AM
its a well run franchise, with market appeal, and tons of money. I don't think they will ever be a non factor. Seriously, a bad year for the lakers would be 40 wins.

chicago is a well run franchise with market appeal and tons of moeny but that didnt stop them from losing alot after jordan, and missing out on free agents.

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 12:04 PM
chicago is a well run franchise with market appeal and tons of moeny but that didnt stop them from losing alot after jordan, and missing out on free agents.

The Lakers were good before Kobe and Gasol, before Kobe and Shaq, before Magic, Kareem, and Worthy, before Baylor, before West and Wilt. The Lakers might be down for 2 to 3 years after Kobe retires but they will always get a star. By the way, Kobe and Gasol expire at the same time after the 2013-2014 season and as of now have no player under contract for the 2014-2015 season. Mitch knows what he is doing and has already set this team up to get a big name player after Kobe.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 12:04 PM

no, they were poorly run before Jordan left, and it caused their rapid decline. Reisendorf did a bad job with that team. I am making my assumption the Lakers will never be a bad team, because they never have been really for any extended period of time. I mean, after the Magic/Jabbar/Worthy, etc era, they had a year they won only 33 games, and then were in the playoffs the next season I believe. They just haven't run into the failed personel decisions of many of the other powerhouses for any extended period of time.

Tmo440
11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
When both Phil and Kobe retire, they will return to mediocracy.

TheHoopsProphet
11-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Let me break it down for you thecoldsoar-fidythree

The lakeshow dont know how to lose,
Our FO aint no foo's, we get our superstars in twos,
Nah, we cant lose, been winning since the days of Mikan
Thats the news, and maybe its the shoes, but lets let Worthy do the speakin',
"Yo whats up world, this is James Worthy,
Check out these 3-rings on my fingers, ain't they purdy?
Got drafted by the Jazz, but got traded for a bag o' chips,
I know Pau Gasol can vouge for this,
Utah went through some patches and dips, but I was just winning and lickin supermodels lips
Here's a tip, get a player whose nickname starts with Big Game,
Fire your Owner, hes hella lame,
Unless his last name starts with a B, and ends with an Uss
But dont fuss, thats just how we roll,
mvp trophies and coked-up hoes."
So you see, we will always win
Via trades or signings, but never from that lottery bin
We know Finals like clippers fans know gin

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:09 PM
The Lakers were good before Kobe and Gasol, before Kobe and Shaq, before Magic, Kareem, and Worthy, before Baylor, before West and Wilt. The Lakers might be down for 2 to 3 years after Kobe retires but they will always get a star. By the way, Kobe and Gasol expire at the same time after the 2013-2014 season and as of now have no player under contract for the 2014-2015 season. Mitch knows what he is doing and has already set this team up to get a big name player after Kobe.

who will they get ? after jordan retired i remember the bulls clearing cap space and everyone thought everyone would run to sign with them. guess what ? nothing. u cant risk eveything on free agency. it has to be a comnbination of draft picks, even the legendary celtics went through a few years of futility are saying lakers are above everryone ?

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 12:12 PM
who will they get ? after jordan retired i remember the bulls clearing cap space and everyone thought everyone would run to sign with them. guess what ? nothing. u cant risk eveything on free agency. it has to be a comnbination of draft picks, even the legendary celtics went through a few years of futility are saying lakers are above everryone ?

I think the Lakers management and staff are far better than the Celtics or Bulls over the past 20 years. Add to the fact that many just side with history, which is the fact the Lakers have never suffered like almost every other team in the NBA, and that is why some of us think it won't happen going forward.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
no, they were poorly run before Jordan left, and it caused their rapid decline. Reisendorf did a bad job with that team. I am making my assumption the Lakers will never be a bad team, because they never have been really for any extended period of time. I mean, after the Magic/Jabbar/Worthy, etc era, they had a year they won only 33 games, and then were in the playoffs the next season I believe. They just haven't run into the failed personel decisions of many of the other powerhouses for any extended period of time.

just cause ur losing doesnt mean ur being run poorly. sometimes u just cant avoid it. Lakers always had great players but this isnt a fairytale where we can expect the past to just keep occuring.

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Look back at the history of the Lakers. A great player will always want to be the next face of the Lakers because the Lakers have had so many greats before. Boston has a rich history, but the Lakers are in sunny California in Hollywood. These days, alot of NBA players or NBA stars want to make money doing stuff outside of basketball, and what a better way to do that then by going to the team in Hollywood that has a bunch of championships, almost never misses the playoffs, and has had a bunch of stars that are considered all time greats.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Utah went through some patches and dips, but I was just winning and lickin supermodels lips

so ur saying from now till the nba folds somehow. the lakers will never be in the lottery ? and after kobe and the gang are gone. u guys wlll magically sign guys like howard , durant or rose, put some kind of voodoo spell on them to belive no other situaton wil be better. ?

faze38
11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
When Kobe retires unless they can pick up another star player before he does but even if they struggle it will only be for like 2-4 years because the draft very good talent! They have excellent scouts and the only reason they haven't gotten any great players from the draft lately is because they are the best team in the league and always get the worst picks!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
We will sign Kevin Durant when he expires, if he hasn't won a ring yet.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Look back at the history of the Lakers. A great player will always want to be the next face of the Lakers because the Lakers have had so many greats before. Boston has a rich history, but the Lakers are in sunny California in Hollywood. These days, alot of NBA players or NBA stars want to make money doing stuff outside of basketball, and what a better way to do that then by going to the team in Hollywood that has a bunch of championships, almost never misses the playoffs, and has had a bunch of stars that are considered all time greats.

what if u guys sign howard when he's around 28 for the max. and sign some other guys to big dollars. what if howard is injured and is never the same ??

is the nba gonna give u magic pass to go sign other max guys even if ur over the cap ?

im just saying somethings are unavoidable. unless jerry buss has a time machine to see which moves will be good ones then sometimes stuff are unavoidable.

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Sure its possible they could struggle in a transition period.
Not looking like that time is now tho ;)

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
When Kobe retires unless they can pick up another star player before he does but even if they struggle it will only be for like 2-4 years because the draft very good talent! They have excellent scouts and the only reason they haven't gotten any great players from the draft lately is because they are the best team in the league and always get the worst picks!

drafts can be tricky, doesnt matter how good ur scouts are.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:24 PM

what if he has ? plan B

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 12:24 PM
just cause ur losing doesnt mean ur being run poorly. sometimes u just cant avoid it. Lakers always had great players but this isnt a fairytale where we can expect the past to just keep occuring.

The downfall of the Celtics and Bulls was holding onto their vets too long without infusing young talent with your vets. The Lakers absolutely are the best organization when it comes to securing this mix. That is why they continue to win. And stars want to come to LA over Chicago or Boston. That has been historically shown.

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
what if u guys sign howard when he's around 28 for the max. and sign some other guys to big dollars. what if howard is injured and is never the same ??

is the nba gonna give u magic pass to go sign other max guys even if ur over the cap ?

im just saying somethings are unavoidable. unless jerry buss has a time machine to see which moves will be good ones then sometimes stuff are unavoidable.

What answer are you looking for? You asked the question. We are pointing to the past history, and the Lakers have been pretty consistent at be ing a playoff team and at getting big name star players. History is all we can look at, and history says it won't happen.

What do you want to hear?

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 12:27 PM
To the OP. Its not as if the Lakers may not go into a rut, and have down years like most franchises have. its just historically shown that they HAVEN'T. So many here will continue to believe in the management/franchise history over possibilities. I think that is the bottom line

michael811
11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
what if he has ? plan B

and what if there is a big earthquake and California falls into the ocean then I bet the Lakers would be bad. Sure there will be ups and downs but there is a reason that certain franchises are always good and others are always bad. The Lakers have a good organization with a committed owner and they have the advantage of being in the most attractive city and franchise for players to want to go to. I am going to be much more concerned when Jerry Buss retires then when Kobe does.

Gibby23
And nobody is saying that they won't be a lotto team for a year or two, they were when they got Bynum, but they will add a big name with the players they get from the lotto and move forward.

-Kobe24-TJ19-

maybe he has lol

what if he has ? plan B

LeBron after he beggs that the lakers would take him to the team for minimum.:D

faze38
11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

KD will not leave OKC they will have way better talent when Kobe expires! Russell, Harden and Green will all be in their primes it would make no sense for him to leave unless it was to join B.Roy in Portland! OKC has put themselves in place to be a power house! U guys will have a better chance at Howard then Durant! Especially since Durnat is becoming a Jordan like figure were sponsers will follow him! KD is going to be the closest thing to Jordan in the league he will never leave OKC and will win multiple chips! On top of that once Kobe is done guess who else will no longer be there Gasol and Phil Jackson! So like I said u will draft a future star 2 years after Kobe is gone and will be good again but your not gonna steal B.Roy or KD from their franchises because they will be the 2 of the top 5 teams in league! U might be able to get Lebron tho if the Miami experiment fails!

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
and what if there is a big earthquake and California falls into the ocean then I bet the Lakers would be bad. Sure there will be ups and downs but there is a reason that certain franchises are always good and others are always bad. The Lakers have a good organization with a committed owner and they have the advantage of being in the most attractive city and franchise for players to want to go to. I am going to be much more concerned when Jerry Buss retires then when Kobe does.

perfect answer

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:31 PM
i just cant sit here and belive a team is gonna win forever. unless the'yre cheating somehow. they always had great players but nowadays ''great'' players seem to be on small market teams more. i mean miami isnt LA but they have 2 of the best players in the world.

sp1derm00
11-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Jerry Buss. G.O.o.A.T.

Greatest Owner of All Time.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:32 PM

its kinda weird cause every franchise have been in the ''rut'' except the lakers.

fishedz
11-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Check it out bro...all your what ifs and such are valid...but 30 years of consistent success prove otherwise. Hands down, the best run franchise in the NBA in a major metro area. The Lakers don't loose because of that and everyone wants ot be a Laker. What proof do you need???? Keep what if'in the whole thread...it's pointless. But wait....

Waht if Lebron died tomorrow?

What if Boston got nuked?

What if the NBA went gay?

What if....

The Lakers will always be successful and players will always want to go there and their front office will always pull off the best trades for star players. Sucks for Miami...oh wait...they have a Laker as a GM...figures.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:37 PM
KD will not leave OKC they will have way better talent when Kobe expires! Russell, Harden and Green will all be in their primes it would make no sense for him to leave unless it was to join B.Roy in Portland! OKC has put themselves in place to be a power house! U guys will have a better chance at Howard then Durant! Especially since Durnat is becoming a Jordan like figure were sponsers will follow him! KD is going to be the closest thing to Jordan in the league he will never leave OKC and will win multiple chips! On top of that once Kobe is done guess who else will no longer be there Gasol and Phil Jackson! So like I said u will draft a future star 2 years after Kobe is gone and will be good again but your not gonna steal B.Roy or KD from their franchises because they will be the 2 of the top 5 teams in league! U might be able to get Lebron tho if the Miami experiment fails!

draft isnt always a sure thing. ex oden,

lebron,wade,durant, this whole decade there has been three guys who can be considered ''good'' enough to lead a team to a title.

faze38
11-10-2010, 12:39 PM
drafts can be tricky, doesnt matter how good ur scouts are.

Yeah drafts are tricky but i'm telling u these guys are good I mean they stole Kobe from the Hornets! So what do u think will happen in the future! There scouts are extremly good even tho the draft is a risk the lakers tend to win in that department! I mean it does always help to have players like Jerry West evaulating a players talent!

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah drafts are tricky but i'm telling u these guys are good I mean they stole Kobe from the Hornets! So what do u think will happen in the future! There scouts are extremly good even tho the draft is a risk the lakers tend to win in that department! I mean it does always help to have players like Jerry West evaulating a players talent!

i think drafts have more to do with luck. non really thought kobe would be the same breath michael frigin jordan by some people. even if told that to the lakers they would laugh at me.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:48 PM
championship teams are hard to construct. and if the lakers are contending for it and winning nonstop for the next 30 yrs then i'll be shocked.

king4day
11-10-2010, 12:49 PM
i understand they have only 3 losing season since 1997. but when kobe retires, and everything disassembles will they go through years of losing like the rest of us ?

i asked some laker fans and they believe they'll just sign some elite guys in free agency.

but i dont think its that easy.
thoughts ??

I agree with you. If it were that easy, then how come they struggled so bad when Shaq left. Only after they got Pau did they become elite again.

The league is nothing like other sports. When you lose your star, you can't simply replace him. They will likley be a good team for a while after Kobe, but it'll be hard to remain elite.

faze38
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
i think drafts have more to do with luck. non really thought kobe would be the same breath michael frigin jordan by some people. even if told that to the lakers they would laugh at me.

Jerry West thought he would be he called Kobe a once in a life time talent and Buss unlike most owners trust his guys! So he pulled the trigger!

DC Laker
11-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Let me break out a stat for you.....

Thats the number of Play-off appearances for the Lakers over the last 61 Years!!!
They have only missed the Play-offs the Following Years:

Thats shows quality, leadership... and a real winning formula. If Kobe leaves someone will step in... Why? Because the team, the Leadership, the Decision makers know how to plan, win and make things happen.

When Magic leaft did people know Kobe was the guy who was going to step in? Heck no!!! BUT Jerry West traded Divac for a draft pick from Charlotte and the machine kept on rolling.

Who will be next? No idea... but I know the guys pulling the strings will make the right decisions.

You can say the draft is not an exact science.... you can say its unknows.... I think you should bet against the Lakers. They will find a way!!! Why? Because they always have.

57/61 is RIDICULOUS!!!

faze38
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Jerry Buss. G.O.o.A.T.

Greatest Owner of All Time.

He comes in second don't get it twisted! Number 1 goes to THE BOSS!

GOON MUSIC
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree with you. If it were that easy, then how come they struggled so bad when Shaq left. Only after they got Pau did they become elite again.

The league is nothing like other sports. When you lose your star, you can't simply replace him. They will likley be a good team for a while after Kobe, but it'll be hard to remain elite.

Still only missed the playoffs only for 1 year after Shaq left and the back in the finals 4 years after. look at how mitch set up the contracts, no one is signed after Pau and Kobes last year. They might be out of the playoffs for a year or two, but will reload and win another title before most teams get their 1st one.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 12:57 PM

eh, I disagree. Sure every team will miss at times. But some teams seem to luck out more than others. Why is that? Its because they have better scouts, PR people to handle agents, and better doctors and evaluation ability. Why do you think the Spurs or Lakers rarely make draft mistakes?
As many have said here, it comes down to the history of the Lakers. Is it possible they make a mistake or two, and miss out on a FA? Sure it is. But in their last 4 decades, it just hasn't happened to the degree that their team suffers for a number of years. Ie, that rut you speak of

thescore53
11-10-2010, 12:59 PM

yes they went into a mini rebuild. after somtime kobe even asked for a trade. had that went down they would have been losing for awhile. pau trade was extremely fishy i have no clue how the hell they pulled that off. but gotta give them props on that but

memphis has to be one of the poorly run franchises in the league.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Thats the number of Play-off appearances for the Lakers over the last 61 Years!!!

Thats shows quality, leadership... and a real winning formula. If Kobe leaves someone will step in... Why? Because the team, the Leadership, the Decision makers know how to plan, win and make things happen.

When Magic leaft did people know Kobe was the guy who was going to step in? Heck no!!! BUT Jerry West traded Divac for a draft pick from Charlotte and the machine kept on rolling.

Who will be next? No idea... but I know the guys pulling the strings will make the right decisions.

You can say the draft is not an exact science.... you can say its unknows.... I think you should bet against the Lakers. They will find a way!!! Why? Because they always have.

57/61 is RIDICULOUS!!!

thread right here.

lakers4sho
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
i just cant sit here and belive a team is gonna win forever. unless the'yre cheating somehow. they always had great players but nowadays ''great'' players seem to be on small market teams more. i mean miami isnt LA but they have 2 of the best players in the world.

Finally you said what you really wanted to say since the beginning :)

btw Lakers also missed the playoffs in '05

SouljahPhil...
11-10-2010, 01:12 PM
yup.you forgot 2005...

RaiderLakersA's
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I am going to be much more concerned when Jerry Buss retires then when Kobe does.

Same here.

True, none of us can predict the future. But if past is prologue, the Lakers organization has always, always, always recovered quickly from a down period. In the modern era, the reason for that isn't just the coach on the sidelines or the talent on the floor, but ownership. All credit goes to Hall of Famer, Dr. Buss, and rightfully so.

I am not quite sure what the point of this thread is. Is the OP hoping for a consensus that tragedy and misfortune are inevitable? Ok, you got it. No one stays lucky forever.

But the problem is that you're confusing luck with design.

Try entertaining the possiblity that such a thing as a "winning formula" exists and that in properly executing it, working your tail off, and making full use of natural advantages (e.g., the lure of Hollywood, or the challenge of playing for a legendary franchise), an organization like the Lakers can, indeed, continue to be successful ad infinitum.

And please, let's stop with the "...when Kobe and Pau's contracts are up, the Lakers are done..." talk. The Lakers franchise has an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder hovering on championships. There will always be opportunities to acquire talented players that are equally committed to winning. No ONE saw Shaq coming to the Lakers. No ONE saw Kobe being traded to the Lakers. No ONE thought that Worthy or Scott or Cooper would develop into the key players that they were for the Lakers. You can call it luck to acquire players, but you have to consider their hard work the most obvious proof of design. I mean worthy was a Finals MVP, eclipsing even Magic Johnson in that championship series. And for all of the hype surrounding Magic coming out of college, for every article applauding his addition, there were a few others that wondered if he'd mesh well with an older Kareem -- and no ONE saw Magic winning a title his first year with the franchise. Was it "luck" that Magic had to play all 5 positions in order to get his first ring???

Will the Lakers always be a winning franchise? I guess we'll all have to wait and see, won't we? But don't bet on it.

JordansBulls
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
seriously man.

bulls did go through rough years of losing after jordan why cant it happen to the lakers.

Because the Lakers every decade have always had a top 3 player in the league.

50's - Mikan
60's - West or Baylor
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic
90's - Magic (2 years), Shaq 3 years
00's - Shaq/Kobe

JordansBulls
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM

57/61 is RIDICULOUS!!!

They missed in 2005 as well.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
who wants have a 20 yr sig bet ?

Usher8701
11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
when phil jackson retires

thescore53
11-10-2010, 01:41 PM
just saying phil jackson and jerry bus arent gonna live forever. and it will be a matter of time before a dimwit takes over. it happens to the best of us.

bolts4ever
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Lakers nation has gone through a drout from 04-08
were they struggled to make the playoffs.

I dont think you can undervalue the lakers knowledge of how to not only build a contending team but how to build a championship team. They know the pieces you need. And are willing to shell out the coin to not only aquire talent but to keep talent.

Look they extended Odom, Fisher, Gasol, Bymum, Shannon Brown and Kobe than signed Ron Artest, Steve Blake and Matt Barnes in the last 2 years. Thats,committing.

albertc86
11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
seriously man.

Different management; that's why. The Bulls went through a dry spell because they kept giving up talent. The Lakers will ways have a marquee player.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Lakers nation has gone through a drout from 04-08 were they struggled to make the playoffs.

I dont think you can undervalue the lakers knowledge of how to not only build a contending team but how to build a championship team. They know the pieces you need. And are willing to shell out the coin to not only aquire talent but to keep talent.

Look they extended Odom, Fisher, Gasol, Bymum, Shannon Brown and Kobe than signed Ron Artest, Steve Blake and Matt Barnes in the last 2 years. Thats,committing.

Laker Nation has never suffered a drought dude. Not when comparing to the other 29 teams

Hellcrooner
11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
just saying phil jackson and jerry bus arent gonna live forever. and it will be a matter of time before a dimwit takes over. it happens to the best of us.

Guess what we won 11 rings ith No Phil. 7 with no Buss.

DO ou know whats the best you can do to not suffer seeing the team always in the playoffs and always competitive and winning 1 every 3 years and being in teh finals 1 each 2 years?

Join the Force!!!:D

Hellcrooner
11-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Laker Nation has never suffered a drought dude. Not when comparing to the other 29 teams

We have man.

Not gettng to at least COnference finals is a disaster for us.....

the 90s were almost umbearable!!!!!!!!

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 01:56 PM
We have man.

Not gettng to at least COnference finals is a disaster for us.....

the 90s were almost umbearable!!!!!!!!

I guess its the same for Yankees fans. Sorry Laker fans, but you have no clue what an actual rut means.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Different management; that's why. The Bulls went through a dry spell because they kept giving up talent. The Lakers will ways have a marquee player.

what if the ''marquee'' player isnt available. ??

Hellcrooner
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I guess its the same for Yankees fans. Sorry Laker fans, but you have no clue what an actual rut means.

Nah im showing the OP how things re for the lakers.

Tymathee
11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Maybe in 2015, but then in 2016 we'll make the playoffs again. The Lakers don't know the meaning of "rebuilding" they "retool" What happpened after Shaq?

Shaq traded, no playoffs the next year, trade for kwame brown turns into Pau
Draft Bynum with the 10th pick in that one horrid year
Keep Odom
Let the pg we got in that deal hit FA
Kobe lures other players to team to stack
Mitch makes steal for athletic young player with upside that fall out of favor with team (Brown, Ariza)
It's not even the market appeal that makes this team so great, they just make great deals, they're smart, what else can you say?

I can quote every deal that brought the players on this current team off the top of my head.

Fisher - Drafted, let go after Shaq traded, brought back after released by Jazz for daughters medical Reasons
Kobe - Traded from Hornets for Vlade Divac lmao
Artest - signed 5 year deal last year after Ariza went to Houston for same money.
Gasol - came over in trade with grizzlies for 2 picks, marc gasol, kwame brown and j critts
Bynum - Picked 10th overall in 2005 after poor 2004 season, their first without Shaq.

Blake - Signed this off season to a 5 year deal
Brown - Got in trade with Grizzlies for Vlad Rad along with Adam Morrison, was thrown in!
Barnes - Came over in FA this off season after much cajoling from Kobe and after Raja Bell went to Utah.
Odom - Came over in Shaq trade.
Ratliff - Signed in FA this off season
Caracter - 2nd round pick in 2010
Ebanks - 2nd round pick in 2010
Walton - picked in 2003 to be the future SF for Shaq (SF was usually the player who passed into post for Shaq to work, luke was boss at this)
Vujacic - drafted in 2004 with the 27th pick to be the Brian Shaw off the bench for the Lakers (Shaq was still with team when drafted) Lakers hoped he could play a little point but he just shoots too dang much...

That's all just real good GMing.

Lakeshow86
11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
The lakers will never be one of those teams that go through years and years of losing as long as they have an ownership like the Buss family and smart GMs. What sets the Lakers apart is the Buss is willing to spend money to get the best team. They also have had some good GM's to build the team. Jerry west was the best ever GM. Mitch kupcheck had some mistakes but has quickly redeemed himself and built a dynasty

thescore53
11-10-2010, 02:07 PM
The lakers will never be one of those teams that go through years and years of losing as long as they have an ownership like the Buss family and smart GMs. What sets the Lakers apart is the Buss is willing to spend money to get the best team. They also have had some good GM's to build the team. Jerry west was the best ever GM. Mitch kupcheck had some mistakes but has quickly redeemed himself and built a dynasty

i agree. but sometimes these kinds of things are unavoidable.

Carter305
11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
December 25th you all can for sure put a l in the loss column!...everyoneis hating acting like its the end of the world after not even 10 games but by december january we will be in full stride playing like we expected to be. Wade is already in full form lebron and bosh will start flowing by the and dec 15 expct a trade for a big body or a cut to get someone in there and m.miller is back in january. We will be good ad anwer all the haters when there fav team have to face us in 7 game series!

epizo1
11-10-2010, 02:10 PM

I believe in the tradition the Lakers have established. The down years are few and far between. Over 60 years of success is not an accident. However, my response is to your comment on the Celtics. I respect that franchise, even as a Laker fan. Hate them, but I respect them. I believe their down years were sparked by the deaths of Len Bias and even Reggie Lewis to a degree. Len Bias was coming onto a championship team and would be the future of the team. I live in Mass and remember all the hoopla surrounding Bias and consider I was just a kid at the time. His death was the first in a chain of events that set back the franchise greatly. My point is, they probably would have won a few more had things gone differently.

BALLER R
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
a bad year for the lakers is a good one for the raptors...but honestly im with the guy that said when jerry buss retires

L@ker4Life
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
They will never be a cellar dwellar. They may have 1 maybe 1 year of not making the playoffs at some point but we have too much appeal, money, and history to not be great.

It is what it is.

el_primo_nano
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
They will stop winning once they clinch the number 1 seed

thescore53
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I believe in the tradition the Lakers have established. The down years are few and far between. Over 60 years of success is not an accident. However, my response is to your comment on the Celtics. I respect that franchise, even as a Laker fan. Hate them, but I respect them. I believe their down years were sparked by the deaths of Len Bias and even Reggie Lewis to a degree. Len Bias was coming onto a championship team and would be the future of the team. I live in Mass and remember all the hoopla surrounding Bias and consider I was just a kid at the time. His death was the first in a chain of events that set back the franchise greatly. My point is, they probably would have won a few more had things gone differently.

i agree with some of your points but u have to understand that this team may not be as well managed once there's a change in management.

back in the day there was a huge pressure to play for a big market team... nowadays market size doesnt matter as mcuh when you see how big lebron was in cleveland and now in miami. things have changed for the better so its not LA or bos or bust.

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
i agree with some of your points but u have to understand that this team may not be as well managed once there's a change in management.

back in the day there was a huge pressure to play for a big market team... nowadays market size doesnt matter as mcuh when you see how big lebron was in cleveland and now in miami. things have changed for the better so its not LA or bos or bust.

Keep hoping for the Lakers to go through a bad decade, You will be waiting a long time because it won't happen.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Keep hoping for the Lakers to go through a bad decade, You will be waiting a long time because it won't happen.

im not hoping on anything. wth is wrong with u.

epizo1
11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
My prior comment acknowledges that unavoidable circumstances could arise that can hinder the success of a franchise going forward. Still, like I said, I trust in the tradition. Players in the Lakers organization usually retire and go to the front office. Who wouldn't listen to Magic, Worthy, West, amongst others to come and play in LA? Heck, even Kupchak is a former Laker. When Kobe retires he probably won't go to the FO but I am sure he would help recruit. How about Fisher, a proven winner, I could see him in the FO. Guys will listen if you can back that up with winning. That is something other teams don't have like Boston or LA. There is a proven model in place. Maybe if Reisendorf would have maintained a positive relationship with MJ Chicago could have had him helping bring guys in. MJ obviously had FO aspirations and the Bulls organization could have used that to their advantage. Now, is it fool proof? Of course not, but until it happens I have to believe we can sustain greatness into the future with a sprinkling of mediocre seasons here and there.

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
im not hoping on anything. wth is wrong with u.

You keep trying to come up with something, but have no support to your argument. History is all we can go by and it shows the Lakers rebuild on the fly and almost always make the playoffs. It shows that they always have a great player and bug name free agents want to come here.

All the major free agents this year went to a big market.

Wade stayed

Lebron went to a bigger market

Bosh went to a bigger American market, because Toronto is a bigger market than Miami, but doesn't appeal to the american marketing companies trying to sell a product to the american population.

Amare went to a bigger market

Boozer went to a bigger market

kArSoN RyDaH
11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
even when Kobe retires this team will have some sort of big name FA. all of our current contracts expire in 13-14 season. so that summer we will be signing some big free agent. Dr. Buss is no dumby. Lakers will always be great.

Hellcrooner
11-10-2010, 02:57 PM

The thing is coming to L.A is not about market is bout joining the History and the Legacy.

Who can reject tryint to put your name on a list with Mikan, WIlt, West, Bayloer, Magic, kareem and so on as " dudes who lead THE franchise to a Title"?

Now add for exampe other interests OUtdo KObe, thats tempting fro any american youngster coming itno the elague or that ha snt been for lso long on the leagye.

Whoever becomes Gasol heir as best spanish player ever woudl also want to OUtdo gasol at his building.

and so on.

Its not abou Money is bout Mystic

Hellcrooner
11-10-2010, 02:59 PM
who wants have a 20 yr sig bet ?

Next 20 year by lakers.

2 Years of lottery

10 Finals.

6 Rings.

SOemthing on those lines more or less.

RaiderLakersA's
11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Because the Lakers every decade have always had a top 3 player in the league.

50's - Mikan
60's - West or Baylor
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic
90's - Magic (2 years), Shaq 3 years
00's - Shaq/Kobe

You say that like all of those players started off as top 3. Like they were annointed as upper-upper echelon elite the minute they donned a Laker uniform. Come on, give the Lakers some credit for developing naturally gifted home-grown products...like West, Baylor, Magic, and Kobe. :)

Supa
11-10-2010, 03:11 PM
60+ seasons, only 5 times the Lakers didn't make playoff. It does seem unfair, and the Lakers fans are spoiled.

In any case, I think the Lakers will continue to find ways to be successful in the foreseeable future.

---

ANKUSH
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
LA is a one of a kind place....we have the sun out year-round...pretty women, beaches, economic downturn-resistant real estate, a willing owner, a franchise that is family-owned.....if you don't pull a max deal...you'd be hard pressed not to make up the difference through sponsorships and advertising deals....and so many Hollywood opportunities for the celebrity-inclined....in my opinion, you just can't beat that.....LO, for instance, is married to a fairly well-known girl, he has tons of endorsements, owns many specialty shops (ie he has a custom automotive shop a mile from Staples)...and he signed on for cheap.....

Slimsim
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM

:clap: Brilliance at its finest

thescore53
11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
You keep trying to come up with something, but have no support to your argument. History is all we can go by and it shows the Lakers rebuild on the fly and almost always make the playoffs. It shows that they always have a great player and bug name free agents want to come here.

All the major free agents this year went to a big market.

Wade stayed

Lebron went to a bigger market

Bosh went to a bigger American market, because Toronto is a bigger market than Miami, but doesn't appeal to the american marketing companies trying to sell a product to the american population.

Amare went to a bigger market

Boozer went to a bigger market

cause those were the only markets with money. and lebron didnt leave cause of market size cause there were enough people on his balls to start. amare said had phx offered me the max i would have stayed... and to boozer he went for the money cause threre was no way jazz were paying him that.

kArSoN RyDaH
11-10-2010, 03:42 PM

as a raider fan, i do understand what a rut it. lol

Ironman5219
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
This year it will be when they play the Jazz!

kblo247
11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Point blank, LA would have been in trouble had Jimmy Buss got the reigns.

He lost his chance to have them completely to Jeanie when Kobe went on that trade me tirade, and Jeanie according to most insiders has been running the team hand and hand with Mitch and her pops since then. She is alot like her dad in that she wants to field a great product night in and night out and admits to being willing to spend to do it ( the deals of Kobe, Pau, Odom, Artest, Blake, Barnes, Brown, Fisher is all her pushing and prodding).

LA will be fine in her hands. I know they are different since one is men and one is women sports, but she was in charge of the basketball decisions of the Sparks until her dad sold the team as well and won two chips. Girl knows her basketball and isn't some over the top zealot who has no idea how to assemble a complete team and just build a large payroll like Dolan and Cuban

RaiderLakersA's
11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
as a raider fan, i do understand what a rut it. lol

I second that!

Avenged
11-10-2010, 04:14 PM

Thank God for that. :D

Us Laker fans should be very grateful to live in a big market basketball wise, and to have a very well ran basketball organization. I don't think it will be as easy as many are making it seem to be that the Lakers will just go out and get another star when Kobe retires.. Nothing is ever given [unless your Memphis].

Giants27
11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
When Kobe's done then they make a run at Durant

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 04:19 PM
cause those were the only markets with money. and lebron didnt leave cause of market size cause there were enough people on his balls to start. amare said had phx offered me the max i would have stayed... and to boozer he went for the money cause threre was no way jazz were paying him that.

And? They still ended up in a big market.

koreancabbage
11-10-2010, 04:32 PM
When Kobe's done then they make a run at Durant

:clap:

or one of the new potentials in this coming year's draft like Barnes.

Kobe still has like 3-4 good years left 24+ppg, a few chips here and there.

numba1CHANGsta
11-10-2010, 04:41 PM
The Lakers are like the Yankee's, they will always have some type of talent on their team, in fact they will sign at least 2 elite players in the last years of Kobe's career, probably in like 3-5 years from now and it will most likely be an elite PG (CP3, D-Will, D-Rose) and a SF (Durant, Melo, Granger) and if Bynum cant stay healthy they will go after a C as well (M.Gasol, D-Howard, Noah)

PG -elite PG
SG -declining Kobe
SF -elite SF
PF -declining Gasol
C -Bynum?

Kobe and Pau will have a smaller salary, which will give the Lakers enough money to sign 2 or maybe 3 elite players, and trust me players would love to play in Los Angeles :D

thescore53
11-10-2010, 04:44 PM
lakers are magic i guess

/thread

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 04:48 PM
lakers are magic i guess

/thread

you made the thread asking the question and almost everyone gave the same answer. If you didn't want to hear the Lakers will almost always be good, you shouldn't have made the stupid thread in the first place.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
im getting bogus explanations so i'm disinterested now

/thread

69centers
11-10-2010, 04:56 PM
How about when they start playing more teams over .500?

Only 2 teams out of their 8-0 start currently have records over .500.

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 04:59 PM
How about when they start playing more teams over .500?

Only 2 teams out of their 8-0 start currently have records over .500.

How about you read the question?

thescore53
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
lulz

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM

57/61 is RIDICULOUS!!!

we missed the playoffs 2004-2005 I believe

Corey
11-10-2010, 05:09 PM
OP requested the thread be closed, as the responses are no longer legitimate.