PDA

View Full Version : Is Paul Millsap a lock for MIP?

Swashcuff
11-09-2010, 11:31 PM
After his performance against the Heat tonight I see no way he's going to be coming off the bench when Okur returns. I think he's going to be able to stay above and around 18-21 ppg and 9-10 rpg.

Is he a lock or will Luis Scola, Dorell Wright, Roy Hibbert, JJ Hickson, Serge Ibaka etc give him a run for his money?

Master Mind
11-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Millsap is beastin plain and simple

Swashcuff
11-09-2010, 11:35 PM
could a mod please fix the title, I made a mistake meant to read. "Is Millsap a lock for MIP?" thanks

dnewguy
11-09-2010, 11:37 PM
lol...dude made 3 licky 3 pointers with one minute to go and y'all already on his ****. He made 2 3 point shots all his career and all of a sudden was making everything tonight. LOL

jimbobjarree
11-09-2010, 11:39 PM
screw MIP. Paul Millsap for the 3 point contest!

dodie53
11-09-2010, 11:39 PM
46pts.
wow.

where's the post D miami?

Swashcuff
11-09-2010, 11:40 PM
lol...dude made 3 licky 3 pointers with one minute to go and y'all already on his ****. He made 2 3 point shots all his career and all of a sudden was making everything tonight. LOL

Just shows your ignorance and why you are probably the most hated heat troll on PSD. No one is on nothing he had a phenomenal performance deserving of a thread and thus far he is the deserving of his own thread. He had a great night. Stop making all heat fans look bad with your douchebag posts.

Chacarron
11-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I think that I should be a V, move over Lebron. Millsap for MVP!!!

asandhu23
11-09-2010, 11:41 PM
no

Hawkeye15
11-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Nobody is a lock for anything after less than 10 games.

Swashcuff
11-09-2010, 11:42 PM
no

Lemme guess you got Dorell Wright don't you, or maybe Steph Curry? :rolleyes:

asandhu23
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Lemme guess you got Dorell Wright don't you, or maybe Steph Curry? :rolleyes:

actually... i had dorell but he seems to be cooling down... so idk

Swashcuff
11-09-2010, 11:47 PM

While I do agree with you it's pretty hard to go against Millsap if he's able to stay healthy and keeps playing at the level he's capable of he is more likely than not going to win the award.

effen5
11-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Milsap for MVP

Bucsfan
11-09-2010, 11:48 PM
im loving the heat fans hating on the jazz and millsap...what a comeback..reat game game for millsap wouldnt say its a lock but he has played lights out this year....anyb that denies that look at his stats! millsap is more valuable than dwill thus far this season
go millsap! boozer who?

cardinals1226
11-09-2010, 11:50 PM
While I do agree with you it's pretty hard to go against Millsap if he's able to stay healthy and keeps playing at the level he's capable of he is more likely than not going to win the award.

You're exactly right. Why play another game? Just give him the award now.

Swashcuff
11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
You're exactly right. Why play another game? Just give him the award now.

y thank you that's exactly what I said thanks.

cardinals1226
11-09-2010, 11:57 PM
y thank you that's exactly what I said thanks.

Glad you picked up on the sarcasm. Of the guys you mentioned, just about all of them are playing significantly better than Millsap, especially Scola and Hibbert. It's not all about points.

Swashcuff
11-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Glad you picked up on the sarcasm. Of the guys you mentioned, just about all of them are playing significantly better than Millsap, especially Scola and Hibbert. It's not all about points.

This is where I realize that there is NO sense in debating with you. Do you even watch basketball?

I am not even going to waste any sort of analysis with what you just said. I haven't done this in quite some time but you really deserve this :facepalm:

cardinals1226
11-10-2010, 12:03 AM
This is where I realize that there is NO sense in debating with you. Do you even watch basketball?

I am not even going to waste any sort of analysis with what you just said. I haven't done this in quite some time but you really deserve this :facepalm:

This is coming from the guy crowning Millsap the most improved player after 5 games. Congratulations. Good day.

Switch
11-10-2010, 12:04 AM

What an ignorant post. :facepalm:

Swashcuff
11-10-2010, 12:05 AM
This is coming from the guy crowning Millsap the most improved player after 5 games. Congratulations. Good day.

5 games right? :rolleyes: I have crowned him NOTHING. Did you see me say anywhere that he IS the MIP. I said if he continues this play over the course of the season it'll be hard for anyone to win the award over him.

I dare you to make an argument to state that all those players I mentioned are as you said significantly better than Paul Millsap is right now (as you SAID). Lets talk some bball facts now.

DoMeFavors
11-10-2010, 12:06 AM
an you say anyones a lock its been 7 games!

Swashcuff
11-10-2010, 12:07 AM
an you say anyones a lock its been 7 games!

Please show me where I say he's a lock. I am begging you. Look at the name of the thread. I asked a question to start a debate i NEVER said he IS a lock.

Ironman5219
11-10-2010, 12:19 AM
He better at least be an allstar, when Boozer was hurt in utah all those years Milsap always put up double double numbers.

adidas2307
11-10-2010, 12:20 AM

It's dnewguy. What do you expect? (See sig)
On a side note, was the officiating going Miami's way? Or did they just do a ridiculous job at getting to the line? I didn't get a chance to see the game, but I saw that Miami had 47 FTA to Utah's 21..?

Sadds The Gr8
11-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Millsap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Okur

and I've always said that.

DerekRE_3
11-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Millsap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Okur

and I've always said that.

He's better than Boozer if he keeps this up.

DreamShaker
11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm really surprised that Milsap is putting up better numbers than Al Jefferson. He keeps up 20/10 somebody would really have to go crazy to overtake him. But it's early. Nobody has really game-planned for him yet. At this point last year everyone thought Brandon Jennings was a lock to win ROY. He still played well but didn't keep up the torid pace he set early on. Milsap is a very nice player, though.

zambo4president
11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
He's been good he's just getting the chance to play more now. I don't think he's MIP.

Swashcuff
11-10-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm really surprised that Milsap is putting up better numbers than Al Jefferson. He keeps up 20/10 somebody would really have to go crazy to overtake him. But it's early. Nobody has really game-planned for him yet. At this point last year everyone thought Brandon Jennings was a lock to win ROY. He still played well but didn't keep up the torid pace he set early on. Milsap is a very nice player, though.

Great point. Reason why I asked the question though is that unlike Jennings we all basically knew that Millsap was capable of this kind of production for 2-3 years now. Just never gotten the chance to prove his worth until this season. If I was a betting man I'd bet on him keeping up a high standard of over say John Wall just because of what he has already proven in the past.

The Prodigy
11-10-2010, 12:33 AM
46pts.
wow.

where's the post D miami?

We have absolutely NO POST D at all

Swashcuff
11-10-2010, 12:35 AM
We have absolutely NO POST D at all

Wasn't Haslem and Anthony suppose to take care of that? I thought they would have done a good enough job.

MacFitz92
11-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Way too early. So many things go into a MIP caliber season. He has to have consistencey which is impossible to predict this early, he has to stay healthy, and so on.

There are a lot of things that go into winning a MIP, and he has as good as a chance as anyone, but Scola and Hibbert look like good competition too.

P.S. Nobody is a MIP lock this early, or even at the all star break for that matter.

masalex1205
11-10-2010, 12:42 AM

x10 million

king4day
11-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Certainly not a lock this early. I thought Frye was a lock last year after the 14-3 start by the Suns thanks mostly to Frye's 3pt shooting.
He'll be in the running for sure, but I'm sure Scola is right up there with him. A lot can and will change as the season goes on.
Great start for him though. Very impressive.

D Roses Bulls
11-10-2010, 12:44 AM

THIS

Seriously people 7 games played and we are talking about stuff like this? I guess luol deng is right up there as well for scoring 40 last week.

Swashcuff
11-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Way too early. So many things go into a MIP caliber season. He has to have consistencey which is impossible to predict this early, he has to stay healthy, and so on.

There are a lot of things that go into winning a MIP, and he has as good as a chance as anyone, but Scola and Hibbert look like good competition too.

P.S. Nobody is a MIP lock this early, or even at the all star break for that matter.

x10 million

Certainly not a lock this early. I thought Frye was a lock last year after the 14-3 start by the Suns thanks mostly to Frye's 3pt shooting.
He'll be in the running for sure, but I'm sure Scola is right up there with him. A lot can and will change as the season goes on.
Great start for him though. Very impressive.

THIS

Seriously people 7 games played and we are talking about stuff like this? I guess luol deng is right up there as well for scoring 40 last week.

If anyone of you guys took a chance to read what was said in the original post and not just the thread title you'd all have different opinions.

I NEVER SAID HE WAS A LOCK?

I asked the question in reference to if he continues this kind of play over there entirety of the season.

I guess it was my bad. I should have named the thread if Paul Millsap continues this calibre of play will he be the MIP lock. That's what it is intended to be. I never said he is a lock. I don't believe he is a lock.

Let me ask this question then. IF he is able to be consistent with this level of production IS he a lock for MIP or do you guys think someone else will be more deserving? That's all.

Lim
11-10-2010, 01:20 AM
nothings a lock 8 games in u doofus

Bucsfan
11-10-2010, 01:51 AM
If anyone of you guys took a chance to read what was said in the original post and not just the thread title you'd all have different opinions.

I asked the question in reference to if he continues this kind of play over there entirety of the season.

I guess it was my bad. I should have named the thread if Paul Millsap continues this calibre of play will he be the MIP lock. That's what it is intended to be. I never said he is a lock. I don't believe he is a lock.

Let me ask this question then. IF he is able to be consistent with this level of production IS he a lock for MIP or do you guys think someone else will be more deserving? That's all.

dont sweat it..people dont like to read.,,,its hard lol

agreed people underrate him he got 30/16/6 just 2 games ago.,,,a d 46 today...all i can say is go milly and the jazz..., keep underrating him haters

IBleedPurple
11-10-2010, 02:23 AM
There is waaaaaay too much season left. Production can increase, decrease, or end due to injury. Getting a little overzealous here

Bucsfan
11-10-2010, 02:32 AM
There is waaaaaay too much season left. Production can increase, decrease, or end due to injury. Getting a little overzealous here

did you or anybody read the op?

"if he keeps it up".....not now

IBleedPurple
11-10-2010, 03:03 AM
did you or anybody read the op?

"if he keeps it up".....not now

Yes, but the thread makes that part pointless.......Many players have had a couple games in a row where they look unstoppable. The "if he keeps it up" is a poor argument when it's 1/10th of the season. Let's talk at least at the all-star game.

Raph12
11-10-2010, 03:12 AM
It's early but if he can keep it up (20-10 status), he'll definitely win... Luis Scola and Roy Hibbert will be his competition.

Bucsfan
11-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Yes, but the thread makes that part pointless.......Many players have had a couple games in a row where they look unstoppable. The "if he keeps it up" is a poor argument when it's 1/10th of the season. Let's talk at least at the all-star game.

true but at this point milly should be a backup contender for the asg...,it is too early but millsap has been the solid rock for the jazz...no harm in denying him.... he has played amazing

soundjunkies2
11-10-2010, 03:41 AM

I actually think it's the 20 and 10 he is putting up.

But no, no one is a lock yet.

Raph12
11-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Millsap, 2-20 from 3pt land for his career, then 3-3 in the last 30secs?... I was watching the game and was shocked.

Then the Jazz won in OT without D-Will which is entitled to a thread of it's own lol.

JiffyMix88
11-10-2010, 04:25 AM
T-MACs still to this day because he did it against a very good spurs defense, and im pretty sure tmac didn't make anything but threes and a one free throw of a three point shot he was fouled off of. none the less though very impressive by paul millsap

Bucsfan
11-10-2010, 04:27 AM
amazing.,,he has played better than anybody on the jazz

Bucsfan
11-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Millsap, 2-20 from 3pt land for his career, then 3-3 in the last 30secs?... I was watching the game and was shocked.

Then the Jazz won in OT without D-Will which is entitled to a thread of it's own lol.

according to dwill he does it in practice all day.... just cant/wont usualky do it in real games?....nows the time to start

junion
11-10-2010, 04:30 AM
both performances were great. i don't think i can really compare them.

i was amazed by both. scoring that much in that short amount of time is an awesome achievement.

i loved watching both. makes me love the nba.

dodie53
11-10-2010, 04:46 AM
millsap's performance > tmac's performance

Bruno
11-10-2010, 05:04 AM
T-MACs still to this day because he did it against a very good spurs defense, and im pretty sure tmac didn't make anything but threes and a one free throw of a three point shot he was fouled off of. none the less though very impressive by paul millsap

The 2010-2011 Miami Heat have the highest defensive ranking in the NBA, and they hold teams to the fewest points per game. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2011.html

I think both performances were pretty amazing. I want to give the edge to Millsap, not only because of the uncharacteristic 3's, but because of the rebound and put-back at the end of regulation. Then stepping up and continuing his big performance in over-time, leading the team to a win against "The #1 ranked HEAT" despite D. Will fouling out at the end of the 4th. Hard to top that.

Both performances were great, congrats to Millsap and The Jazz.

Bruno
11-10-2010, 05:07 AM
I'd say Millsap and Scola are the easy favorites up to this point in the season. I feel lucky to have watched what Millsap did to The Heat tonight, live. Best 4th quarter of the season.

Raph12
11-10-2010, 05:07 AM
The 2010-2011 Miami Heat have the highest defensive ranking in the NBA, and they hold teams to the fewest points per game. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2011.html

I think both performances were pretty amazing. I want to give the edge to Millsap, not only because of the uncharacteristic 3's, but because of the rebound and put-back at the end of regulation. Then stepping up and continuing his big performance in over-time, leading the team to a win against "The #1 ranked HEAT" despite D. Will fouling out at the end of the 4th. Hard to top that.

2nd to the Magic in both those categories after tonight lol ;)

asandhu23
11-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Reggie Miller

Lim
11-10-2010, 05:11 AM

this stat is irrelevant only 9 games in

Raph12
11-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Reggie Miller

8pts in 9secs, that's 2560pts in 48mins lol...

Supa
11-10-2010, 05:21 AM
What a freakish game, and a great performance of a life time by Millsap.

Tough loss for Miami; maybe it's jinxed by Hollinger's stupid ranking.

---

Bruno
11-10-2010, 05:24 AM
2nd to the Magic in both those categories after tonight lol ;)

haha, you think? basketball reference doesn't update 'till the following day.

subject to change, but not irrelevant. The Heat were projected to be a great defensive team from the get-go.

Swashcuff
11-10-2010, 06:48 AM

This isnt a player that just bursts onto the scene and had a good couple games. Follow the man over the course of his entire career and you can easily see that he is capable of producing at a high level consistently. I am not talking about 03-04 Flip Murray here. I am talking about someone who we know is a big time producer.

Its not a poor argument because other than Luis Scola he is the only player who is likely to be in the running that has had an extended period in which he had not only shown flashes but consistency when given his chances.

Badluck33
11-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Milsap for MVP and Rookie of the Year.

Sactown
11-10-2010, 07:23 AM
IMO people should starting calling these threads "Is Millsap a good candidate for MIP"

aussie
11-10-2010, 07:30 AM
it was just this once, JJ has been awesome for the cavs, there are so many players plus its only 8 games in

TheGoodGerman
11-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Yep. He is a lock. I remember when Millsap had his old contract and Boozer was hurt in Utah. Millsap played for like ... 250.000 Dollars. He was cheap and did great work on the court ...

I also would name Reggie Williams from Golden State.

Ragun
11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
gotta go with milsap because:

1) he is a big
2) its against the ****ing heat
3) he hit a buzzer beater

****ing unbelievable. haslem and bosh got pounded on by milsap...19 FGM? thats just incredible.

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Kevin Love anyone? 23/24/5 in LA last night.
All I mean is, its way too early. There are obvious candidates that should be on the radar however. Milisap is one of these players

el_primo_nano
11-10-2010, 09:33 AM
We are not even 10 games into the season and already these threads? :facepalm:
too early man!! He did bust that *** night that though :D

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 09:35 AM

You never said he was a lock. You only responded to my post, which was a response to the thread title.
Hope this clears everything up for all

Hawkeye15
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

not when you factor in Miami has been a top defense for a couple of years now. That team prides itself on defense, and now has weapons.

sixer04fan
11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Love Millsap, but as someone said earlier, no one is even close to a lock for anything after less than 10 games. Way too early to be discussing this... Talk to me in January.

John Walls Era
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
no way. he'll be leading after week 1, but premature.

millerandco
11-10-2010, 11:03 AM
for me right now its between JJ Hickson, Millsap and Scola

Denver-boy
11-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Milsap is on Fire!!! He honestly could be Saving Utah Jazz Season if he keeps playing like this , That team needed someone to step up

Public Enemy #1
11-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Not happening yet, way to early.

jimbobjarree
11-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Millsap upto 8th in the league in scoring!

averaging 24 points shooting 63% from the field (100% from 3 :D) 11 boards 3 dimes and a steal

last season he averaged 12 points 7 boards 1.6 dimes and shot 53%.

his minutes however have increased by 10 a game

Patman
11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Millsap upto 8th in the league in scoring!

averaging 24 points shooting 63% from the field (100% from 3 :D) 11 boards 3 dimes and a steal

last season he averaged 12 points 7 boards 1.6 dimes and shot 53%.

his minutes however have increased by 10 a game

Yes but his increase is also there in the efficiency stats, he has a higher PER higher TS% higher TRB% higher Offensive rating higher Assist%, all while having an increased Usage Rate. So it's not just more minutes.
However it is a really small sample size and i don't expect him to keep up that pace over the course of the season. Still i think the guy is underrated by most guys and has a shot at MIP if he gets the minutes.

tbone2171
11-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Not this early..A season ending injury could end that.

Wisdom Listens
11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
How can he be a lock 7 games into the season? Right now he is the favorite, but anything can happen. I doubt he shoots 63% the rest of the way, though, so I expect his numbers to go down a little.

Mplsman
11-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Pretty damn impressive performance the other night, I'll say that much.

dolfan720
11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
not yet i can see wright or scola win it to

TJLong222
11-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Millsap for 3! wait? what??
Truly an amazing performance by Milly. Unstoppable if he keeps it up and stays healthy.
Bring on Boozer!

dtmagnet
11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
You almost knew that Millsap was gonna have a breakout season with Boozer gone, he showed what he could do last year when the Booz was injured. He could easily win this award.

jimbobjarree
11-10-2010, 09:23 PM
not yet i can see wright or scola win it to

Millsap 24 points 11 boards 3 assists 63% shooting
Scola 22.5 points 12 boards 2.5 assists 52% shooting

will be a good race if these 2 keep it up

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 09:25 PM
No one is a lock for MIP this early in the season..
he could fall and break his face two days from now and miss 70 games.
silly thread

jimbobjarree
11-10-2010, 09:27 PM
^Millsap's missed like 2 or 3 games in his 4 year career, so I doubt it

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 09:56 PM
^Millsap's missed like 2 or 3 games in his 4 year career, so I doubt it

There are other things that could happen.
he could start playing poorly.
he could get hit by a bus.
and he isnt superhuman, he is susceptible to injuries just like everyone else on earth.

FetusSmasher
11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Too early for this kinda stuff.

topdog
11-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Yeah, a little too early for any declarations about who's who and what's what. Millsap has had some nice stretches before, I don't know that this changes anything yet.

futureman
11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
He's gotta save those 3 pointers for the lakers now.