PDA

View Full Version : Durant: Come to OKC if you want to endorse me

GodsSon
11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Yet this makeshift moment served as the scene from which Durant would promote his latest endorsement deal, a partnership with Degree Men.
The event exemplified how Durant, the Oklahoma City Thunder's franchise player, has bucked the allure of big cities and bright lights which often lead to big dollars and instead has seized sponsorships in small-market Oklahoma City.

"I always told myself if I play the game the right way, if I always get better, things like this are going to come to me," Durant said. "I don't have to go other places just to get this.

"I don't want to sound like a prima donna. But if companies want to come out here and be a part of what I have going on, they're going to have to come to Oklahoma City."

That's precisely what's taking place before our eyes.

"For companies to come to Oklahoma City means a lot," Durant said. "That's one thing that I wanted to do. I never wanted to go searching for anything. I never wanted to beg for any endorsements. Just let it all come to me by my play."

http://www.newsok.com/kevin-durant-if-companies-want-his-endorsement-theyre-going-to-have-to-come-to-oklahoma-city/article/3512614

This guy offers hope for small market teams that there are players out there who will be loyal to your team and city and not bolt for brighter lights once the opportunity arises; sort of like the anti-Bosh/Melo/LeBron.

Thank you Mr. Durant :)

Avenged
11-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Well seeing as how he's a top player at such a young age, and how he's turned around his franchise.. It would be a dumb move if they didn't go looking for him.

RaiderLakersA's
11-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Most superstars bring in advertisement dollars and business to their local communities. Seriously, you need look no further than what LeBron did for the Cleveland economy.

As for Durant, I truly do appreciate his campaign for the small markets, but I think he should be careful not to put himself in the position of being called a turncoat, liar, betrayer, Benedict Arnold, etc., if somehow his relationship with OKC should sour or his future wife/family determine that they want him to take his game to a different environment. No one knows what the future holds, especially for a professional athlete. Not even Durant.

Ebbs
11-09-2010, 07:33 PM
He should be the face of the NBA. Unlike Kobe and Lebron he is very likeable on and off the court. He really has proven himself a sid role model all around. And there is very little to criticise in both his game and personality.

Bruno
11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
He should be the face of the NBA. Unlike Kobe and Lebron he is very likeable on and off the court. He really has proven himself a sid role model all around. And there is very little to criticise in both his game and personality.

Well, Kobe and LeBron were golden boys at 22 as well. Not saying Durant will create PR disasters like the other two have, but you never know what the future holds.

TheHoopsProphet
11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Most superstars bring in advertisement dollars and business to their local communities. Seriously, you need look no further than what LeBron did for the Cleveland economy.

As for Durant, I truly do appreciate his campaign for the small markets, but I think he should be careful not to put himself in the position of being called a turncoat, liar, betrayer, Benedict Arnold, etc., if somehow his relationship with OKC should sour or his future wife/family determine that they want him to take his game to a different environment. No one knows what the future holds, especially for a professional athlete. Not even Durant.

Duuuude, whatheeeeheckk man, Kelvin Durant is like the best player ever, why you raining on the parade? Hes as loyal as they come, and if the Kelvinator leaves OKC theres no hope for anything. Cause im telling you man, I heard stories where Kelvin only drinks Paul Newman's lemonade, even though theres other delicious flavors out there like Minute Maid lemonade (delicious!), or Country time Lemonade (ohhhmahgawd), or even homemade lemonade (good god da have sum!). My cousin always sells him somthat mary j, and one time the product wasnt as strong, and he was like "yo, whats up with that hoops' cousin?" and my cousins like "oh mannn, sorry Kelvin you the greatest, I f'ed up." and then hes like "nah its cool man, you my guy."

Avenged
11-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Once upon a time, Kobe and Lebron were both loved..

Eventually, people start to hate when players are at the top of the league for so long. Especially if one of them does something at least remotely wrong.

It will be no different for Durant, that is if he conducts himself the proper way. But when [and if] he starts winning championships, the majority of the NBA universe [fans] will be coming down on him as well. Have to give it a bit of time.

Young and Stupid
11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Duuuude, whatheeeeheckk man, Kelvin Durant is like the best player ever, why you raining on the parade? Hes as loyal as they come, and if the Kelvinator leaves OKC theres no hope for anything. Cause im telling you man, I heard stories where Kelvin only drinks Paul Newman's lemonade, even though theres other delicious flavors out there like Minute Maid lemonade (delicious!), or Country time Lemonade (ohhhmahgawd), or even homemade lemonade (good god da have sum!). My cousin always sells him somthat mary j, and one time the product wasnt as strong, and he was like "yo, whats up with that hoops' cousin?" and my cousins like "oh mannn, sorry Kelvin you the greatest, I f'ed up." and then hes like "nah its cool man, you my guy."

Do you really find comedic value in figuring out a way to mess up every name you write? Of the one's I have seen I've got to say that Dwite Hayward is by far the best. Keep up the good -- and by good I mean: tired, bizarre and pretty corny -- work.

masalex1205
11-09-2010, 07:49 PM
well then

thescore53
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
http://www.newsok.com/kevin-durant-if-companies-want-his-endorsement-theyre-going-to-have-to-come-to-oklahoma-city/article/3512614

This guy offers hope for small market teams that there are players out there who will be loyal to your team and city and not bolt for brighter lights once the opportunity arises; sort of like the anti-Bosh/Melo/LeBron.

Thank you Mr. Durant :)

bosh and especially lebron left to win not for the ''bright lights'' in that case they would have gone to new york and not miami.

bringinwood
11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I hope Durant doesn't mind early exits in the playoffs...

He isn't winning a championship in OKC...

Durant will fall victim to the trap... The Allen Iverson, Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady trap that proves that players have to leave the smaller markets to win championships...

Jordan was the only person in history to turn a perennial loser into a winner...

Wrap your mind around that one... You have to ellipse Michael Jordan to win a championship or you can go to LA, NY or Miami and have one delivered to you...

LeBron came close... However, if LeBron can't turn over a franchise without significant help, no active player in the NBA could have done it at any point in their career...

Bulls_fan90
11-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Durant is starting to piss me off.

IversonIsKrazy
11-09-2010, 08:05 PM
LOVE this act. Very mature. We need more of this in the NBA. I like KD's attitude

Slimsim
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
This Durant love affair is just a security blanket for the LBJ haters.

ManRam
11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
This Durant love affair is just a security blanket for the LBJ haters.

Seriously. I'm getting beyond sick of the absolutely excessive Durant love. He's a great player, and a great person, but Jesus...I don't need to hear everything good he does.

thescore53
11-09-2010, 08:10 PM

Durant will fall victim to the trap... The Allen Iverson, Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady trap that proves that players have to leave the smaller markets to win championships...

Jordan was the only person in history to turn a perennial loser into a winner...

Wrap your mind around that one... You have to ellipse Michael Jordan to win a championship or you can go to LA, NY or Miami and have one delivered to you...

LeBron came close... However, if LeBron can't turn over a franchise without significant help, no active player in the NBA could have done it at any point in their career...

:confused: big market teams have amazing powers to get good players ?

and tmac wasnt like that. he left toronto his first chance cause he wanted to be home. then he forced himself out of orlando,, then houston.

dnewguy
11-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Hahahahahaha. I thought they said he had no ego. Come to OKC if you need my endorsement? didn't know he's now the President of the United States.

bringinwood
11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Seriously. I'm getting beyond sick of the absolutely excessive Durant love. He's a great player, and a great person, but Jesus...I don't need to hear everything good he does.

It's not a matter of " if " but when he realizes his fate as a member of the Thunder organization and he leaves, he will be just as scrutinized as LBJ....

Wait till Westbrook heres the money truck drive right onto his front porch and he takes off...

Durant might look like a nice guy, but he'll be a nice guy without a ring...

See what happens then...

bringinwood
11-09-2010, 08:20 PM
:confused: big market teams have amazing powers to get good players ?

and tmac wasnt like that. he left toronto his first chance cause he wanted to be home. then he forced himself out of orlando,, then houston.

How many rings does T-Mac have as a member of the Rockets, Magic, and Raptors ???

None of these organizations are considered top markets for basketball in the NBA...

Toronto doesn't have enough of a following...

Houston is pushed out by big brothers San Antonio and Dallas...

Orlando has been playing 2nd fiddle to the Heat with the exception of the last couple of seasons...

It returned back this season...

Yes major markets are breeding grounds for NBA superstars because of the salary cap... It sounds like an odd statement but, when you talk about the best of the best, they are all going to get max contracts...

The only avenue they have to earn on top of their NBA salary is by way of endorsements... What better way to gain endorsements than by playing in a major market where everyone will see your face...

It's no coincidence that Shaq left Orlando to go to LA, then Miami, then Boston...

It's no coincidence that Amare left Phoenix for NY...

It's no coincidence that both Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony want to be Knicks...

el_primo_nano
11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Good for him and the city.

LeBitteNoir
11-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Durant is an opportunist. He knows LeBron is down right now, so he comes out and says all the right things so he can be the sweetheart of everyone in NYC, CHI, and everywhere else around the league that was ready to hop on LeBron's nuts but got jilted.

Don't get blinded by Durant's miasmatic facade, he's the same as the rest of 'em.

hotpotato1092
11-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Does the name Tim Duncan mean anything to you? How about the entire 2004 Pistons team? To go back even further, how about Hakeem Olajuwon, Isiah Thomas, Bill Walton, Moses Malone, or even the 1979 Sonics (Sikma, DJ, Gus Williams etc...). Durant is in a position, with the Lakers set to age soon and no other really strong upcoming team in the west except maybe Sacramento, to control the western conference in a few years. Durant is good enough to win as the best player on a team, Westbrook is good enough to be the #2 on a title team, and they have a bunch of nice role players in place, I think they're one move away from getting to that contender level. LeBron never won because he only had a bunch of role players and scrubs, give him Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green et all and I'm sure he'd have a ring by now.

Corey
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
More good stuff from Durant.

I wonder if he has any skeletons.

The Final Boss
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Durant> LoLebron

Nas> Jay-Z

TheHoopsProphet
11-09-2010, 08:34 PM

the hell you dont!

jealousy is not a virtue, only KDs allowed to be jealous

thescore53
11-09-2010, 08:35 PM
How many rings does T-Mac have as a member of the Rockets, Magic, and Raptors ???

None of these organizations are considered top markets for basketball in the NBA...

Toronto doesn't have enough of a following...

Houston is pushed out by big brothers San Antonio and Dallas...

Orlando has been playing 2nd fiddle to the Heat with the exception of the last couple of seasons...

It returned back this season...

Yes major markets are breeding grounds for NBA superstars because of the salary cap... It sounds like an odd statement but, when you talk about the best of the best, they are all going to get max contracts...

The only avenue they have to earn on top of their NBA salary is by way of endorsements... What better way to gain endorsements than by playing in a major market where everyone will see your face...

It's no coincidence that Shaq left Orlando to go to LA, then Miami, then Boston...

It's no coincidence that Amare left Phoenix for NY...

It's no coincidence that both Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony want to be Knicks...

u know toronto is a top 4 nba market right ? and houston is a wayy bigger market than san antonio. miami isnt really a ''big'' market. ur saying rings are brought on depending on the market size of the team.

really i dont know what ur saying.. are u saying u havve to play for teams like LA for stars to get noticed well let me introduce u to vince carter and
durant,ohh and are u forgetting friging lebron james !! u say u have to be in big market to win multiple titles well let me introduce u to tim duncan,

and also amare said i would have stayed if phx offered me the max.

ryder78c
11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Does the name Tim Duncan mean anything to you? How about the entire 2004 Pistons team? To go back even further, how about Hakeem Olajuwon, Isiah Thomas, Bill Walton, Moses Malone, or even the 1979 Sonics (Sikma, DJ, Gus Williams etc...). Durant is in a position, with the Lakers set to age soon and no other really strong upcoming team in the west except maybe Sacramento, to control the western conference in a few years. Durant is good enough to win as the best player on a team, Westbrook is good enough to be the #2 on a title team, and they have a bunch of nice role players in place, I think they're one move away from getting to that contender level. LeBron never won because he only had a bunch of role players and scrubs, give him Russell Westbrook, Jeff Green et all and I'm sure he'd have a ring by now.

you crazy the blazers are hurting at center only reason they lost was because they had to play a SF at PF because LA fouled out...PORTLAND WILL be the team to beat in the west once the lake show get old! but the lake show will just get new players they dont stay down long portland has ROY,BATUM,ALDRIDGE,Up and coming PG Johnson, and if greg oden can stay healthy theres a mean lineup not to mention the lineup and the draft picks we have if we can trade Rudy Fernandez for a 1st we have 3 1st round draft picks this year or 2 this year and 2 next DONT OVERRATE TEAMS ASK KOBE WHO'S BETTER ROY OR DURANT

ryder78c
11-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Durant> LoLebron

Nas> Jay-Z

AZ>Nas>Jay-Z

Lebron<Durant Attitude wise Durant>Lebron

Sadds The Gr8
11-09-2010, 08:42 PM

this.

TheHoopsProphet
11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
AZ>Nas>Jay-Z

Lebron<Durant Attitude wise Durant>Lebron

GZA>AZ>Nas>Jay-Z

ryder78c
11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
gza>az>nas>jay-z

gza aint no way better then az

prodigy>gza

numba1CHANGsta
11-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Look this is what happens: Lebron and Kobe were young and spoiled, they were very successful young and wanted more and more, as the bigger of a star they became, the higher they would climb up that mountain and at that point there is only one way to go and its down, once they go down that mountain, they start to climb it all over again just like what Kobe did and what Lebron will begin to do. KD is still climbing the mountain for the first time, he already has a scoring title, next will be an MVP, then he'll start seeing better talent around him, but something will bring him down that top of the mountain IF he does ever get to that point of becoming the best player in the NBA. There has been many situations where this is true, look at Magic, went down that mountain when he discovered he had AIDS. MJ when he left to play baseball and came back to re-climb that same mountain. Basically almost every player has their Highs and Lows, no one stays on top for their whole career, so yes KD's time will come and he will fall just like everyone else

Sixerlover
this durant love affair is just a security blanket for the lbj haters.

ding ding ding!!

Sixerlover
gza aint no way better then az

prodigy>gza

The chef >> all of them

TrueHeatFanHere
11-09-2010, 09:53 PM
kevin durant wears lebron james pajamas

flea
11-09-2010, 09:59 PM

His name is Tim Duncan and he's the best power forward to ever play the game. They may have had Robinson, but they certainly don't win any titles without Duncan. Hell, the Spurs are going to be, at worst, the dark horses again this year.

Sixerlover
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Philadelphia and Dallas are much larger markets than San Antonio, Detroit and Miami. And Boston for that matter. It's the team not the market.

Hellcrooner
11-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Lol nice words.

see how they work some years from now when the holywod neons are knocking on his door..

thescore53
11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Lol nice words.

see how they work some years from now when the holywod neons are knocking on his door..

by that time the lakers will be a lottery team........ pass.

Mikey Roxx
11-09-2010, 11:19 PM

This. I respect Durant a lot as a person and a player, but the media is so damn intent on pushing him as the new, nice-guy face of the NBA, and I'm tired of it. Maybe it's just the rebel in me that dislikes most of the mainstream, but it really is totally excessive. I seriously wouldn't be shocked if an article came out about how Durant helped a sweet elderly woman across the street.

Hellcrooner
11-09-2010, 11:30 PM
by that time the lakers will be a lottery team........ pass.

Do you know how many times lakers have been in the lottery since im alive (1977) ?

Dont count on it.

the_jon
11-09-2010, 11:34 PM
DUranT iz teH GreEtest!

/thread

Blazers#1Fan
11-09-2010, 11:43 PM
The chef >> all of them

im a big Raekwon Fan since back in the day but AZ who ryder78c is talkin bout is the new GOAT of rap im probably the biggest hiphop you could meet and raekwon and AZ are probably the best 2 rappers around but AZ is on top of raekwon but not by much my top 10 alive rappers and im a old school cat

1. Scarface
2. AZ
3. Raekwon
4. Black Thought(The Roots)
5. Mac Dre
6. outkast(3stacks & Big Boi)
8. 50 cent(everybody's haters of 50 but he still kills tracks his mixtapes are beyond great)
9. Tech N9ne
10. Canibus(he murdered eminem nobody listens to him though)

thescore53
11-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Do you know how many times lakers have been in the lottery since im alive (1977) ?

Dont count on it.

i will. again this isnt a fairytale. u cant expect the lakers to win forever.

Blazers#1Fan
11-09-2010, 11:45 PM
kevin durant wears lebron james pajamas

i dont like the heat very much(never have) but i gotta agree

Hellcrooner
11-10-2010, 12:02 AM
i will. again this isnt a fairytale. u cant expect the lakers to win forever.

nope, but when we suck is when we go into lottery one year and then spend 1 or two more rebliding while reaching plyoffs and second rounds, before we win again.

thts how it works.

This team providing the againg the MOST that will suck in 4 year is being in playoffs.
then All of the oldies expire at the same time so they can grab WHOEVER is a Fa that summer, Plain and simply.

chicago lulz
11-10-2010, 12:03 AM

See ESPN and the Miami Heat
Just replace 'good he does' with 'good they do' or 'they do'

GodsSon
11-10-2010, 12:07 AM
See ESPN and the Miami Heat
Just replace 'good he does' with 'good they do' or 'they do'

+1

And damn, looking at your sig, Rose has the muscle definition of a pre-pubescent 12 year old :confused: (no homo)

DaVille
11-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Anti-Kobe Bryant, Anti-Lebron James. Mr. Stern would be dumb not to make Durant THE FACE of the league

RapOZo
11-10-2010, 12:25 AM
im getting tired of his forced boy scout wannabe attitude.

Rafer17
11-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Such a golden boy :up:

thescore53
11-10-2010, 09:20 AM
nope, but when we suck is when we go into lottery one year and then spend 1 or two more rebliding while reaching plyoffs and second rounds, before we win again.

thts how it works.

This team providing the againg the MOST that will suck in 4 year is being in playoffs.
then All of the oldies expire at the same time so they can grab WHOEVER is a Fa that summer, Plain and simply.

wow ur in for a rude awakening.

Kiss Ma Grits
11-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Lebron was a player that tried to say the right things but along the way he forgot that you are what you do and what he did showed fans of the sport just how much he really cares for him and those signs have always been there in Cleveland.

kArSoN RyDaH
11-10-2010, 02:49 PM
hes subliminally been taking shots at Bron all year. cant wait to see them destroyed by the trio.

Gibby23
11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
bosh and especially lebron left to win not for the ''bright lights'' in that case they would have gone to new york and not miami.

The lights are the "brighest" in Miami right now. @ of the best 5 players in the NBA on the same team, the lights will be on in full force.

Do you watch ESPN or NBA TV these days? Bosh is getting more attention after a loss now than he did when he went to the playoffs with Toronto.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Yep, they are just being delivered to NY. Not San Antonio or anything. But NY, who hasn't won a title in how many decades?

DaBUU
11-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Durant, Our Lord and Savior, has arrived. gimme a break

clehmun
11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Durant will be one of the most hated figures in sports 5 years from now.

You're not a true superstar until 50% of fans love you to death, and the other 50% of fans hate the crap out of you.

koreancabbage
11-10-2010, 04:26 PM

You're not a true superstar until 50% of fans love you to death, and the other 50% of fans hate the crap out of you.

this.

you gotta have more haters to be taken seriously.

honesty, he's a great scorer...but thats about it. nothing really else sticks out. when you have fans in the rest of the world like the other true superstars like Kobe and Lebron, then i can say you are a superstar. right now, he's up and coming but in no way he's the best player on the planet.

SteveNash
11-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Durant will never be a true superstar.

ragee
11-10-2010, 05:51 PM
:clap:

Mplsman
11-10-2010, 06:09 PM
This thread title sounds like it could a song

tbone2171
11-10-2010, 06:18 PM

What happened to your Kevin Skywalker sig?..that thing was dope.

thescore53
11-10-2010, 06:18 PM
The lights are the "brighest" in Miami right now. @ of the best 5 players in the NBA on the same team, the lights will be on in full force.

Do you watch ESPN or NBA TV these days? Bosh is getting more attention after a loss now than he did when he went to the playoffs with Toronto.

wow people notice role players nowadays ;)

Byronicle
11-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Once upon a time, Kobe and Lebron were both loved..

Eventually, people start to hate when players are at the top of the league for so long. Especially if one of them does something at least remotely wrong.

It will be no different for Durant, that is if he conducts himself the proper way. But when [and if] he starts winning championships, the majority of the NBA universe [fans] will be coming down on him as well. Have to give it a bit of time.

I still like kobe, but kobe cheated on his wife which is actually a big underrated reason why people dont idolize him as much

The Ooh Child
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
This Durant D sucking fest is starting to get nauseating. I'm kinda starting to hope that a white girl accuses him of rape.

KeithLBC
11-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Why are half the people in this thread complaining about the publicity that KD receives for being the good hearted guy he is? None of these reports or stories being posted come across as "fake" or "opportunistic" like some have claimed.

Is it jealousy that your favorite player(s) is/are no longer the face of the NBA :shrug:

If you don't like people praising a "superstar" for the positive things he does, then stay out of these type of threads. If you're just looking to be negative and have NOTHING to contribute, go to the Lebron & Kobe threads where the negativity runs rampant.