PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst teams at acquiring big men through draft/trade

DitchDat
11-09-2010, 07:46 AM
I would say the worst has to be Portland, they seem to have a knack for getting underachievers and headache-type big men on the roster, i.e. Rasheed Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal, Zach Randolph and Greg Oden.

And IMO the best has to be Orlando: Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Webber, Ben Wallace and Dwight Howard are or have at least been elite big men.

Thoughts?
Other teams?

Lakerfan8032
11-09-2010, 08:06 AM
I would say the worst has to be Portland, they seem to have a knack for getting underachievers and headache-type big men on the roster, i.e. Rasheed Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal, Zach Randolph and Greg Oden.

And IMO the best has to be Orlando: Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Webber, Ben Wallace and Dwight Howard are or have at least been elite big men.

Thoughts?
Other teams?

Orlando? They traded Webber right after drafting him for Hardaway and Wallace was nothing until he went to Detroit. And he was originally signed by Washington as an undrafted rookie when he came into the league. And with the picks of Shaq and Howard, I can't give them full praise for them since they were easily the best prospects and they just happened to get lucky by having the first pick those particular years. On the other hand, they do get credit for picking them and not reaching for someone else (not so much in Shaq's case since he was easily the pick that year but some for Howard's since he was coming out of high school and that can always be dicey, even though he seemed to be a good kid).

I have to go with the Lakers off the top of my head. Their list of big men is very prominent. You have Mikan, the first superstar in the league's history. There is also Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, O'Neal, and now Gasol. Now, none of these players was drafted by the Lakers but you did include trades so with that they have to be the best.

Portland has had some incredibly bad luck with their picks regarding big men. I almost feel bad for them but with their last two disaster picks regarding big men they have missed out on Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant, both picked right after Portland's two picks. Just heartbreaking for a Blazer fan.

Silent
11-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Lmao at your sig:laugh2:

Mr.ATLHawks
11-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Best....San Antonio
Worse...The fuggin Hawks

CB29
11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
i would say the worst has to be portland, they seem to have a knack for getting underachievers and headache-type big men on the roster, i.e. Rasheed wallace, jermaine o'neal, zach randolph and greg oden.

And imo the best has to be orlando: Shaquille o'neal, chris webber, ben wallace and dwight howard are or have at least been elite big men.

Thoughts?
Other teams?

lmfao epic sig bro!

KnicksR4Real
11-09-2010, 09:39 AM
we did trade for eddy curry, which sucks

Ace33Bone
11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
as of recently the Nuggets would be the worse along with the Bobcats

and I have to disagree with you I think that besides the Sam Bowie mishap the Trailblazers have done a good job at getting bigs to fill their roster... especially recently... Camby, Oden (he will have his time to shine), Aldridge, J ONeal, Brian Grant, Sabonis, Wallace were all solid... and going further back the bigs that played with the Drexler/ porter team like Buck Williams and Duckworth were solid

Double_R
11-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Orlando? They traded Webber right after drafting him for Hardaway and Wallace was nothing until he went to Detroit. And he was originally signed by Washington as an undrafted rookie when he came into the league. And with the picks of Shaq and Howard, I can't give them full praise for them since they were easily the best prospects and they just happened to get lucky by having the first pick those particular years. On the other hand, they do get credit for picking them and not reaching for someone else (not so much in Shaq's case since he was easily the pick that year but some for Howard's since he was coming out of high school and that can always be dicey, even though he seemed to be a good kid).

I have to go with the Lakers off the top of my head. Their list of big men is very prominent. You have Mikan, the first superstar in the league's history. There is also Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, O'Neal, and now Gasol. Now, none of these players was drafted by the Lakers but you did include trades so with that they have to be the best.

Portland has had some incredibly bad luck with their picks regarding big men. I almost feel bad for them but with their last two disaster picks regarding big men they have missed out on Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant, both picked right after Portland's two picks. Just heartbreaking for a Blazer fan.

You are absolutely wrong about Howard being the easy choice... There were more NBA analysts saying that they should take Okafor over Howard.

David Stern's comments about drafting DH "Fans from all around must have been like, "Who the heck is this guy? Is he better than Emeka Okafor?"

Chad Ford "After going through the Grant Hill fiasco, they couldn't afford to have their building block come up lame. Still, I believe the Magic should've taken Okafor. I think Howard has all the skills to be a great player, but does he have the heart?"

Just watch the video of them drafting Howard and see you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5G1rO2PzR0

When they drafted Howard, Stephen A and the rest of the crew was like I can't believe they didn't anchor their defense for the next 10 years with a franchise center like Okafor. Yea Shaq was an easy choice, but Howard wasn't the consensus number 1. If we are talking about drafting bigs, it's easily the Magic or Spurs. If we are talking about trades and free agency, LA is on the top or very close.

thescore53
11-09-2010, 11:48 AM
raps aruajo and bargnani

/thread

ragee
11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't think you could say Portland is the worse... Sheed took them to the playoffs, Jermaine was an all-star, Randolph was a double double machine but yeah, a pan in the *****... Greg Oden is not an underachiever... He was performing well when he was playing.... Unfortunately, he got injured again... We'll see what happens this season...

You also forgot Portland drafted Lamarcus Aldridge over Tyrus Thomas... That was a smart choice... Didn't they also draft Sabonis? Arguably the best European player of all time? Too bad they got him after the peak of his career...

king4day
11-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Suns have been pretty bad at picking bigs. Jake Tsakalidis...yuk

Portland picked amazing bigs from talent perspective. Just got bad breaks with their personalities (or in odens case, injuries)

Hellcrooner
11-09-2010, 01:21 PM
there is NO other option for bic men than Lakers.

Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and now Gasol.
We always wind up getting a top 3 big man and many o the times plain and simply the top dog. We also go Bob Mcaddo , Mychal thimposon, and drafted Mark Eaton even if he never played for us ( decided to go bacj to school and was later drafted by jazz=)

Lakerfan8032
11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
You are absolutely wrong about Howard being the easy choice... There were more NBA analysts saying that they should take Okafor over Howard.

David Stern's comments about drafting DH "Fans from all around must have been like, "Who the heck is this guy? Is he better than Emeka Okafor?"

Chad Ford "After going through the Grant Hill fiasco, they couldn't afford to have their building block come up lame. Still, I believe the Magic should've taken Okafor. I think Howard has all the skills to be a great player, but does he have the heart?"

Just watch the video of them drafting Howard and see you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5G1rO2PzR0

When they drafted Howard, Stephen A and the rest of the crew was like I can't believe they didn't anchor their defense for the next 10 years with a franchise center like Okafor. Yea Shaq was an easy choice, but Howard wasn't the consensus number 1. If we are talking about drafting bigs, it's easily the Magic or Spurs. If we are talking about trades and free agency, LA is on the top or very close.

If you read to the end of that paragraph then you would have seen I give them more credit for Howard since he was straight out of high school and thus a bit more risky then say Shaq was, which was an easy choice.

If any one saw Okafor play in college it seemed obvious that he could be a very solid pro but not much better then that, or at least that is what I saw. You pointing out what other people said about that draft just shows the question marks regarding high schoolers coming out versus established collegians.

My biggest point is that having your number one overall pick turn out to be a really good player is great but doesn't reflect your drafting prowess as much as drafting someone late in the first or second round and then having that player develop into a quality player. Dwight may have been a reach but but if he was then it was the smallest reach possible.

I think someone like the Jazz taking Paul Milsap in the second round is a better pick then the Magic taking Howard number one overall. Howard's the better player (though maybe not offensively) but Milsap with where he was chosen is the better value.

I can't give a team a lot of credit if their number one overall pick turns out to be a very good player. They were just lucky to be lousy the year before to get that pick. But on the other hand, it is disasterous if a team's top pick turns out to be a bust, a la Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Pervis Ellison and several others.