PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Likely To Offer Jeter $45-60MM

Pages : [1] 2

ccugrad1
11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
From MLB Trade Rumors

The Yankees are likely to offer Derek Jeter a three-year deal worth $45-60MM, according to Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com. One of Matthews’ sources, someone intimately familiar with knowledge of the team’s negotiations with agent Casey Close, says the Yankees are prepared to “overpay” the shortstop.

No team other than the Yankees has shown interest in Jeter, according to Matthews’ sources. That's not a surprise, considering that Jeter seems likely to re-sign in New York. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote Friday that "Jeter is still Jeter, the Yankees are still the Yankees and no other team will be a factor" [in the negotiations]. ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported that the Yankees are willing to pay Jeter more than any other team would, even though they aren’t going to invest recklessly in their captain.

Tim Dierkes predicted a four-year $65MM deal between Jeter and the Yankees

Wow, 15-20 million for Jeter at this stage of his career?

cambovenzi
11-08-2010, 10:38 PM
3 year deal with 15-20 mill?
crazy money for a declining aged SS.

ManRam
11-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Hahaha.

This makes me happy ;)

Station 13
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
That's it?

ugafan
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't think the Yankees realize that they have the leverage here. Jeter's not worth 10 mil a year much less 20.

ABOMB_56
11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
3 year deal worth 33M is the max I would offer Jeter. He gets a few more shots at a ring while making much more than he is worth. And he gets to get to his 3000 hits plateau

ccugrad1
11-08-2010, 10:42 PM
And I know Yankee fans will bash me for this, but it is deals like this that are bad for MLB and ruin it for everyone else. 15-20 million for a 36 year old SS.

cambovenzi
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
when i saw the thread title i was going to say "45-60 million for what, 10 years?" lol

Sick Of It All
11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah, that is going to inflate the rate for many SS, so Jose Reyes is about to be one very happy man.

Hunter48MVP
11-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Now, that is just ridiculous. 60MM :speechless:.

Jeffy25
11-08-2010, 10:47 PM
And I know Yankee fans will bash me for this, but it is deals like this that are bad for MLB and ruin it for everyone else. 15-20 million for a 36 year old SS.

How does this hurt anyone other than the Yankees?

You think Edgar Renteria will get more money just because Jeter signs this deal?

Jeter's paychecks have nothing to do with any other team, they are just keeping their franchise shortstop and paying a 'tax' for what he has already done for them. It is completely independent of the rest of baseball

cambovenzi
11-08-2010, 10:48 PM

You think Edgar Renteria will get more money just because Jeter signs this deal?

Jeter's paychecks have nothing to do with any other team, they are just keeping their franchise shortstop and paying a 'tax' for what he has already done for them. It is completely independent of the rest of baseball

Yes actually.
Players and agents look around the league and ask for what other guys are getting.

oak2455
11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
when i saw the thread title i was going to say "45-60 million for what, 10 years?" lol

KRod Jason Bay should I keep going because this is like 1%:D

ccugrad1
11-08-2010, 10:52 PM

Has plenty to do with it. If you are, as someone mentioned earlier, Jose Reyes, you are smiling big time. Or how about Juan Uribe? Or Jimmy Rollins in 2012? Their values go up big time.

When a player signs a contract, regardless of team or professional sport, it influences everything else. You are fooling yourself if you don't believe Jeter's contract won't have a ripple effect on SS in MLB Jeffy!

Giraffes Rule
11-08-2010, 10:53 PM
They gotta give him a lot of money over a few years or a lot of years for less money. The short term deal is better for the Yankees.

oak2455
11-08-2010, 10:54 PM

totally agree with you but some people will make this into something else........

VRP723
11-08-2010, 10:55 PM
3 years, 60 million wow.

So I guess Alex Gonzalez should get 4 years 100?

ccugrad1
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
totally agree with you but some people will make this into something else........

So you believe that next year, Jose Reyes and Jimmy Rollins will not look at that deal in their negotiations? Jose Reyes is what, 7 years younger and Rollins is 4 years younger. If I am Reyes' agent, I am looking EASILY at 5-7 years at 15-18 million per year and if I am Rollins' agent, I am looking for at least 4 years, 15-18 million per year and in both case, perhaps more!

But that is all I will say about this!

RCarlson85
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow...just ridiculous. It should say something that no one else is interested. He's old and declining and still thinks he deserves $20 million. I understand what he means to them, but he should realize he's not worth that much anymore. It would've be funny to see what would happen if the Yanks weren't willing to give him more than like $5-10 million/year.

oak2455
11-08-2010, 11:01 PM
So you believe that next year, Jose Reyes and Jimmy Rollins will not look at that deal in their negotiations? Jose Reyes is what, 7 years younger and Rollins is 4 years younger. If I am Reyes' agent, I am looking EASILY at 5-7 years at 15-18 million per year and if I am Rollins' agent, I am looking for at least 4 years, 15-18 million per year and in both case, perhaps more!

Reyes will he even play 50 games, and they are paying him for off the field stuff also what he means to the Yankees......almost what Jose means to the Mets:rolleyes:

ccugrad1
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
All I can say is this deal will have a ripple effect on the rest of MLB, and in a lot of ways a lot of teams won't like, even down to guys like Renteria, Scutaro, and so on. If a Jeter can get 15-20 million, I can't imagine what guys like Reyes or Rollins will get.

n83417
11-08-2010, 11:06 PM
If Jeter changed his name and went on the open market, he would get a max of 2 years and 14 Million.

ccugrad1
11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
if jeter changed his name and went on the open market, he would get a max of 2 years and 14 million.

Thank You! He'd probably gets nothing more than what Scutaro got, 2 years, 12 million. I just can't see paying a guy that much when you are the only team involved. The Yankees hold all the cards because the rest of MLB know he isn't leaving.

11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Jeter is going to argue he had a down year and not the start of his decline. Most likely will use the 2009 season as proof that he can hit in his mid-late 30's.

Also this has no impact on any other SS. Jeter is in a unique situation with the Yankees. Renteria and Scutaro can go out and ask for $20 million or even $15 million and will never get it and they know that. No one would even go near them. The Yankees are paying Jeter to play and the rest (tax) for being the face of the franchise, captain, Yankee great, and keeping the fans happy since a **** storm would rain down on NY if Jeter did not comeback.

YanksNats1987
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Jeter basically gets a blank check from the Yanks, it should come as no surprise to anybody. It's all based off of who he is and what he means to the team. Of course he's not worth the money, but people act surprised about this when they shouldn't.

n83417
11-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Thank You! He'd probably gets nothing more than what Scutaro got, 2 years, 12 million. I just can't see paying a guy that much when you are the only team involved. The Yankees hold all the cards because the rest of MLB know he isn't leaving.

The Scutaro deal was exactly what I had in mind actually. Jeter is a little better all around hitter, and better baserunner, and thats where the extra couple million came from. But Jeter has no range, and played with an iron glove last year...

BigBlueCrew
11-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Thats it?

I would ask for more if I were Derek Jeter. If Arod is gonna get close to 30 mil over the next 3 years he can get 20 - 25 mil. This is someone who is nicknamed "da captain"

avrpatsfan
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
60 mil over 3 years? As a Red Sox fan I'm ecstatic. Arod+Jeter's contract will hurt the Yankees a lot long term for sure.

TheGiantYankee
11-08-2010, 11:29 PM
60 mil over 3 years? As a Red Sox fan I'm ecstatic. Arod+Jeter's contract will hurt the Yankees a lot long term for sure.

Have you watched baseball since Giambi was signed to the Yankees? Money is not a problem and these contracts do not hurt the Yankees. It may look bad but they don't give a ****.

D1JM
11-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Jeter is not even worth that money. Not even half that money

knickfan4life
11-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Has plenty to do with it. If you are, as someone mentioned earlier, Jose Reyes, you are smiling big time. Or how about Juan Uribe? Or Jimmy Rollins in 2012? Their values go up big time.

When a player signs a contract, regardless of team or professional sport, it influences everything else. You are fooling yourself if you don't believe Jeter's contract won't have a ripple effect on SS in MLB Jeffy!

that crazy, for the simple fact that,

A. Jeter actually has leverage here because if the yankees lose him, their fan base will tear them apart, aka a PR nightmare for them.

B. Jeters going to close in on his 3000th hit in the next 3-4 seasons which means, for the yanks to balloon game ticket prices for those games, they have to give jeter his cut also, which again, raises his value.

when a guy like reyes walks into his negotiations, the GM will give reyes' agent these 2 reasons and reyes will sign for $10-$15 MIL or whatever he is worth, i'm not too big on baseball contracts, more of a basketball guy, but jeter will definitely get his $18-20M a year for 3 years or $16M/ yr for 4 years

Uncle Sam
11-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Id laugh if Boston offered him 30M, really hard.

cambovenzi
11-08-2010, 11:52 PM
KRod Jason Bay should I keep going because this is like 1%:D

Those arent even good examples lol.
Other people being overpaid doesnt change the fact that 60M for jeter is massively overpaying.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Lmao. Definetly not worth anything near that. I wish the Sox had money to throw away.

I'm sure Jeter will win the GG over Alexei Ramirez too. What a joke.

elizur
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM

Uribe is not getting that big of a deal where it would matter. Jimmy needs to acutally hit for that to matter. Jose needs to stay healthy for that to happen.( al though, Reyes will get a sick contract regardless based on talent)

cambovenzi
11-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Have you watched baseball since Giambi was signed to the Yankees? Money is not a problem and these contracts do not hurt the Yankees. It may look bad but they don't give a ****.
Yea seriously.
money is not a restraint for the yankees.
and Arod is still a top player...

NYMets2011
11-09-2010, 12:31 AM
hahahahaha what a deal

Giraffes Rule
11-09-2010, 12:48 AM

The Yankees are the only team that will offer this type of a contract. Reyes and Rollins can ask for whatever they want, but if nobody out there can or will pay that, they're going to have to settle for less.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Yes actually.
Players and agents look around the league and ask for what other guys are getting.

only when it is relevant to their player, no other shortstop in the league is in the same place as Jeter. He is a franchise shortstop on the decline with his home team, this literally has nothing to do with any other shortstop in the game.

Agents will compare their client to a player's contract they think their client should earn, but literally nobody in baseball compares enough to Jeter and his value to the Yankees.

Maybe when Ozzie was with St. Louis at his age of 36.

Jeter will get over paid, and it will not effect anyone else in baseball.

oak2455
11-09-2010, 12:52 AM
I love the Met fan who tells whats what you guys are up there in payroll and still blow.....I really don't get it..:facepalm:

fingerbang
11-09-2010, 12:54 AM
You guys can laugh all you want but this is what they do with ageing veterans that have paid their dues. Players get taken care of in NY. This is also part of the reason why the Yankee's payroll is always so high. They did this with Posada a few years ago.

cambovenzi
11-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I love the Met fan who tells whats what you guys are up there in payroll and still blow.....I really don't get it..:facepalm:

what does that have to do with anything?

on the topic of agents, they really wont care if jeter is a big name.
They defy logic all the time and ask for more for various reasons. big contracts to similar/lesser players included.
I could definitely see reyes' or another top SS's agent citing jeter's contract in negotiations.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 12:56 AM
an agent can try to compare their client to Jeter, but it will easily be defeated.

If Jimmy Rollins came to and say I should get what Jeter gets, I will ask why.

Because Jimmy, you aren't about to get your 3000th hit, you haven't given us several championships, one, sure, but several? If you go elsewhere, will fans care? sure maybe somewhat, but not like if we lose Howard, Utley or Halladay.

It just doesn't compare.

I personally think Jeter is way over rated by Yankees fans, but he is going to get overpaid, and it has literally nothing to do with other teams, he has been overpaid for the last 10 years, why do the next 3-4 years matter? Hell, he is likely getting a pay cut from his 18.9 a year.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 12:57 AM
what does that have to do with anything?

on the topic of agents, they really wont care if jeter is a big name.
They defy logic all the time and ask for more for various reasons. big contracts to similar/lesser players included.
I could definitely see reyes' or another top SS's agent citing jeter's contract in negotiations.

And good GM's won't care, that's the point, the players don't compare.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
literally no other team would offer their declining shorstop this sort of contract, only the Yankees, and they have good reason to do so, I don't know why this surprises anybody, and it has absolutely nothing to do with other players and contracts, this is separate. Hell they could differ all the money over the rest of his lifetime for all it matters, it doesn't matter, he is staying with the Yankees, and they are going to over pay him for his past years of service.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Jermaine Dye isn't in the MLB because he compared himself to players he's as good as and wanted more money. I really don't want to hear contracts around the league don't affect other players. Jeter is getting older and shouldn't be commanding so much money.

If Jeter is what is keeping the Yankees franchise afloat, than that's just pathetic.

fingerbang
11-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Those arent even good examples lol.
Other people being overpaid doesnt change the fact that 60M for jeter is massively overpaying.

It's not an overpayment from a business standpoint. Jeter is the face of the Yankees. He sells jersey, hats, and t-shirts.s. He's by far their most marketable player. Will his production live up to the contract? Probably not. It doesn't matter though because Jeter's one of the major reasons why the Yankees have so much money to throw around.

jimm120
11-09-2010, 01:10 AM

Yes actually.

You're wrong cambov.

This won't affect the rest of baseball. This truly is one of those "tip of the hat" to the franchise shortstop during their streak from 1996 to 2010. This isn't about "keeping Jeter". Jeter has NO intention of leaving. I hate Jeter. I loathe the yanks. Now, Jeter has been the face of the Yanks all of these years. Him and Clemens. This is more of a "we'll overpay you as a reward for all of the years you've put into this team".

Everyone knows that this isn't a situation of "the yanks stealing someone elses player" or "resigning someone important (Clemens, Petite, etc) because its important for next year. This is resigning a symbol of a very prosperous Yankee era. They know that Jeter won't give them the production of that contract. But they want him there to finish his career (since he still doesn't want to quit).

Jeter SHOULD think about the team at this point. Last time he got an extention, he managed to produce well enough but even then it was too much money for him. But this time? He should be signing a 5 to 8 million contract to allow the Yanks to have even more money to sign other players. But guess he just wants the money.

I really do hope that they pay him 20 million a year for 4 years. Would screw them over quite well.

Robbw241
11-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Jetes making that cash.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Jermaine Dye isn't in the MLB because he compared himself to players he's as good as and wanted more money. I really don't want to hear contracts around the league don't affect other players. Jeter is getting older and shouldn't be commanding so much money.

If Jeter is what is keeping the Yankees franchise afloat, than that's just pathetic.

Most players, yes, you should compare to others.

Jeter is simply different.

sxdona
11-09-2010, 01:18 AM
I guess no one ever herd of legacy pay. I guess being the winningest player of all time means nothing. I guess giving money to Kevin Brown or Randy Johnson or Nick Johnson or Carl Pavano;A.J. Burnett ;Hideki Irabu;Kei Igawa was a better investment then giving our most popular player a few more dollars then his worth. P.S. first you Pat Ewing, now you Jeter.

Rivera
11-09-2010, 01:29 AM
add another 5 to 10 mil per year that mayb will get the job done

u think jeter is gonna stay at the first offer??

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Personally, I would be surprised if he didn't get a small (very small) ownership stake in something, or a long term solution to work with the organization after he decides to retire.

More-Than-Most
11-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Sorry but the Yankees front office is ********. Just let him go... I don't wanna hear all the crying because it would be forgotten once they signed a few big time free agents... No way they can justify giving him this much money... Its a terrible business move.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Sorry but the Yankees front office is ********. Just let him go... I don't wanna hear all the crying because it would be forgotten once they signed a few big time free agents... No way they can justify giving him this much money... Its a terrible business move.

hahaha , okay.

Dude, every Yankee fan has a hard on for Jeter.

They wear his jersey's, he will go into the hall of fame, wearing a Yankee hat, and his number 2 will be retired in New York.

Their all time hits leader, it may be ridiculous how much Yankees fans love him, but they do, and they go to games because of players like him.

He will retire a Yankee, and ownership will pay him what he demands, unless they want a public outcry over it.

It would literally make headlines all over, not just sports. It's stupid how much he is loved, but he is worth what he gets paid in merchandise and legacy pay alone. He is one of the remaining links to the late 90's championships still on the team, just like Rivera, he will retire a Yankee headed to the hall of fame.

11-09-2010, 01:50 AM
hahaha , okay.

They wear his jersey's, he will go into the hall of fame, wearing a Yankee hat, and his number 2 will be retired in New York.

Their all time hits leader, it may be ridiculous how much Yankees fans love him, but they do, and they go to games because of players like him.

He will retire a Yankee, and ownership will pay him what he demands, unless they want a public outcry over it.

It would literally make headlines all over, not just sports. It's stupid how much he is loved, but he is worth what he gets paid in merchandise and legacy pay alone. He is one of the remaining links to the late 90's championships still on the team, just like Rivera, he will retire a Yankee headed to the hall of fame.

+1

I don't think people understand how much of a PR cluster**** this would be for the Yankees if they did not resign him or offered him 5-7 million like some are saying. Jeter is going to get 3,000+ hits. He is going to go down as one of the all-time Yankee greats and 1st ballot HOF. His # is going to be retired by the Yankees and a plaque will be up in monument park. The Yankees want him coming to games long after he retires and do not want to screw up the relationship. Yankees fans love him (I mean literally love the guy) and he sells merchandise and puts people in the seats while being the captain and leader for the team. The Yankees are pretty much paying as a thank you and making sure the relationship is still there. He is in a unique situation that does not apply to other players around the league. There is no other current player that has as much history with his team as Jeter does with the Yankees and there is no other player that represents their team more than Jeter does for the Yankees. He has been the face of the franchise for over a decade.

The_Franchise13
11-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Minka Kelly needs to be showered with gifts, of course Jeter needs the money. Duh.

You'd do anything for that woman, you know it. =P

11-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Minka Kelly needs to be showered with gifts, of course Jeter needs the money. Duh.

You'd do anything for that woman, you know it. =P

Jeter has had a long list of hot GF's (I'm guessing Minka and him are now engaged?). He knows how to handle the ladies. Any sign of gold digging and they hit the street. :laugh:

The_Franchise13
11-09-2010, 02:14 AM
Jeter has had a long list of hot GF's (I'm guessing Minka and him are now engaged?). He knows how to handle the ladies. Any sign of gold digging and they hit the street. :laugh:

...or maybe his long list of GFs is why he needs the money...

dun dun dun = P

Swishalicious
11-09-2010, 02:37 AM

Few differences.

1) Jeter is a hall of famer
2) Jeter is a captain and an iconic figure of the last 15 years, you cannot simply disregard the success he brought (helped to win 5 championships).... idk if u remember when they didnt even resign Bernie Williams cause they had a full outfield, just gave him a spring training invitation.......fans were furious the whole season
3) Jeter is heading into the milestone of 3000 hits, its like when the Giants signed Randy Johnson for the 300 win. Except Jeter has been a one team guy and its more respectable if he stays a one team guy.
4) Jeter isn't washed up yet, he still hit respectably and a bounce back year is not impossible.
5) Jeter brings fans into the stadium regardless if he is on a decline
6) Finally, the yankees have A LOT OF MONEY and Jeter KNOWS that, so he can milk them for all they are worth and unless the yankees want to appear as evil cheapskates, they have to give in to the captain.

Bo Sox Fan
11-09-2010, 02:40 AM
This signing is hilarious and makes me very happy as a Sox fan! Doesn't Cashman know he's bidding against himself?

Swishalicious
11-09-2010, 02:46 AM
This signing is hilarious and makes me very happy as a Sox fan! Doesn't Cashman know he's bidding against himself?

If and when Cliff Lee resigns in Texas it will have been a massive failure of an off-season in New York!

Left with more holes than they went into the winter with.

He is bidding against himself... so Lee ends up in Texas? I don't think you fully understand the concept of bidding against one's self.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 03:32 AM

ummm, yes. He easily knows that.

I don't know why people aren't getting this.

Jeter is going to be a lifetime Yankee, it's common knowledge, Cashman is well aware that whatever he gives Jeter, he will accept. But he will be fair, and he will pay the proper tax for him.

Jeter has earned his payday.

It's like being with one company your entire career, and you have helped them do some revolutionary things, and now you are 60, wanting to work another 4 years, what do you think your employer is going to offer you? They will be fair to you, not because you are still valuable to the organization, but because they owe it to you to be fair to you for a few more years and allow you to retire with pride.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 03:35 AM
+1

I don't think people understand how much of a PR cluster**** this would be for the Yankees if they did not resign him or offered him 5-7 million like some are saying. Jeter is going to get 3,000+ hits. He is going to go down as one of the all-time Yankee greats and 1st ballot HOF. His # is going to be retired by the Yankees and a plaque will be up in monument park. The Yankees want him coming to games long after he retires and do not want to screw up the relationship. Yankees fans love him (I mean literally love the guy) and he sells merchandise and puts people in the seats while being the captain and leader for the team. The Yankees are pretty much paying as a thank you and making sure the relationship is still there. He is in a unique situation that does not apply to other players around the league. There is no other current player that has as much history with his team as Jeter does with the Yankees and there is no other player that represents their team more than Jeter does for the Yankees. He has been the face of the franchise for over a decade.

Well, maybe Chipper ;)

And he was overpaid for his final years in Atlanta....same thing.

Agree on all accounts

Pride
11-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Jeter is getting this money because he's Derek Jeter. Cashman knows that he's bidding against himself, but do you think the Yankees really care? Jeter is getting this money because he is the face of the Yankees, not for his playing ability. This will add almost no leverage for any other shortstops. Other shortstops can say that Jeter got this much, so they should deserve this much. But, it doesn't matter because as long as no one is willing to pay that much, there won't be a market at that price. Rollins can ask for 20 million a year, but if no one out there will even offer close to that, it means nothing.

SouljahPhil...
11-09-2010, 05:47 AM
stupid loyalty and legacy again...dammmm!

SouljahPhil...
11-09-2010, 05:50 AM

Jeter is going to be a lifetime Yankee, it's common knowledge, Cashman is well aware that whatever he gives Jeter, he will accept. But he will be fair, and he will pay the proper tax for him.

It's like being with one company your entire career, and you have helped them do some revolutionary things, and now you are 60, wanting to work another 4 years, what do you think your employer is going to offer you? They will be fair to you, not because you are still valuable to the organization, but because they owe it to you to be fair to you for a few more years and allow you to retire with pride.

Well said...:clap::clap::clap:

A thank you contract to jete...3 yrs seems a compromise for me... It won't hurt the yanks big time...Fair deal in my own opinion...

metsbulls1025
11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Lets meet in the middle and say 52 million dollars for Jeter. Then they have to resign Rivera. I expect that to be a pretty large amount because there is a closer across town making a good chunk of change, but I will low ball and just say 40 million. Now they are also waiting out Andy Petit and they said around Thanksgiving he will give them an answer. You would think 10 million for 1 more year give or take. Now they are planning on getting an offer together for Cliff Lee. Now we already know it will be over 100 million dollars total. The thing that we don't know is how close to C.C. does it get. I think it will be in the 120-125 million dollar range with incentives to get to C.C. Sabathia money. Lets some it up for everyone at home.

Jeter - 52 Million Dollars
Rivera - 40 Million Dollars
Petit - 10 Million Dollars
Lee - 120 Million Dollars

= 222 Million Dollars on 4 players all going into the down side of their careers. Now you can subtract the 10 million from Petit because he is a question mark, but the salaries of the other players could also make up for that 10 million because they could make more.

SouljahPhil...
11-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Lets meet in the middle and say 52 million dollars for Jeter. Then they have to resign Rivera. I expect that to be a pretty large amount because there is a closer across town making a good chunk of change, but I will low ball and just say 40 million. Now they are also waiting out Andy Petit and they said around Thanksgiving he will give them an answer. You would think 10 million for 1 more year give or take. Now they are planning on getting an offer together for Cliff Lee. Now we already know it will be over 100 million dollars total. The thing that we don't know is how close to C.C. does it get. I think it will be in the 120-125 million dollar range with incentives to get to C.C. Sabathia money. Lets some it up for everyone at home.

Jeter - 52 Million Dollars
Rivera - 40 Million Dollars
Petit - 10 Million Dollars
Lee - 120 Million Dollars

= 222 Million Dollars on 4 players all going into the down side of their careers. Now you can subtract the 10 million from Petit because he is a question mark, but the salaries of the other players could also make up for that 10 million because they could make more.

Rivera will get 30 mil for 2 yrs..15 per year..
Petit 10 mil plus incentives
Jeter I think 55-60 mil 3 yrs.
Lee- 150 mil maybe.. 6 years.

I think of the above 4 eventhough their old 3 of them will be worth their contract(maybe except lee on the last 2 or 3 yrs of his) The one I hate giving that money is jeter since that is way too much money for him but yanks would still pay it because of stupid thank u to legacy and loyalty...

Raiderwood
11-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Of course he knows he's bidding against himself. This isn't about the market, this is about doing the right thing by your Captain and winner of 5 World Series Rings. it's not about the market or his "declining skills" is about doing the right thing for one of the best overall players and winners in baseball for the last 15 years as well as the history of the New York Yankees, the preeminent franchise in baseball/

bagwell368
11-09-2010, 09:46 AM
For the player himself, it's insane money. 3 for $18M would be plenty.

But for the figurehead/myth/marketing engine/face of the franchise/blah blah blah the difference between $18M and $60M will be earned by the Yanks several times over.

Getting a slick fielding back-up is important. As soon as Jeter gets his PA in the 6th or 7th then just sit him down for D. He can still draw a better OBP then most SS's, so he has utility.

TO to the CHI
11-09-2010, 10:01 AM

I agree with everything you said in this thread until the bolded. Jeter will get a fat contract that is dramatically above market because of the value to the team and the Yankees knowing what they need to do. Mostly, however, he will get it because the Yankees can afford to pay him that amount as a thank you gift.

However, in the non professional sports part of the world, companies don't simply hand out an additional four years of excess pay for someone who is done being a contributor. That does not mean that the company necessarily kicks the person to the curb (though that happens), but it does mean that Fortune 500 companies (and smaller companies) aren't paying extra money above market just to appease people.

Jeter has been more than fairly compensated throughout his career and it is absurd to think that the Yankees owe him anything (as he does not owe them anything). They have had a great relationship and he will retire as a Yankee almost certainly. However, the guy has been paid $200M in his career as a Yankee and has delivered for them in that time, but that doesn't mean he is owed more going forward. As one of the Yankee fans in this thread rightfully stated, the Yanks will pay him well now as a thank you gift. Those gifts don't happen (and if they do, it is very seldom) in other companies because there are shareholders and others to be pleased.

Also, don't hold your breath on Jeter getting anything more than a token piece of ownership and I don't expect him to get any portion of it.

As an aside, the fact that the Yankees can afford to pay Jeter 2-3X his value without batting an eye and as a thank you for the past is the reason why people get mad at the Yankees and argue for a salary cap. I am not saying that argument is correct, but it is there.

theslick1
11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
All I can say is this deal will have a ripple effect on the rest of MLB, and in a lot of ways a lot of teams won't like, even down to guys like Renteria, Scutaro, and so on. If a Jeter can get 15-20 million, I can't imagine what guys like Reyes or Rollins will get.

There is no "ripple effect." Just like there was no ripple effect when the Yankees chose to overpay A-Rod. Have you seen anyone else get anything close to what A-Rod got? Are agents having any luck telling other teams that since A-Rod got a 10 year deal, their guy should too? If the Yankees overpay Jeter (and they will), Rollins' agent might argue that Rollins should be overpaid too, but unless there is a team willing to overpay, it won't happen.

bagwell368
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I agree with everything you said in this thread until the bolded.

However, in the non professional sports part of the world, companies don't simply hand out an additional four years of excess pay for someone who is done being a contributor. That does not mean that the company necessarily kicks the person to the curb (though that happens), but it does mean that Fortune 500 companies (and smaller companies) aren't paying extra money above market just to appease people.

In the 1945-1973 time frame when the US had 2% of the population, and up to 50% of the industrial capacity - it was normal to have 40 hour weeks with long lunches, gold watches for 25 years of service, and all of that.

With the energy crisis, stupid wars, huge spending on military hardware that was never used in many cases, ridiculous empire like entanglements, the rebuilding and rise of Europe, India, Japan, China, etc. what did you expect?

I got laid off twice in my time - once in 1992 for guys making 1/3 of what I made, and again in 2007 for guys making a 1/15 of what I was making.

Pro athletes are a guild, protected by their own skill, and prey to early decline, bad investment advice, worse women, and "friends". Their time is short. Jeter is so famous today, and he'll still be a well known name in 80 years. The guy is a living monument. You don't short a monument. You do short an Engineer because it isn't public, and its a bottom line choice.

Hell they could pay Jeter $10M per for life, and just have him sit up in a booth in the stadium that everyone can see, and glad hand a few major box owners, give a few interviews, wave to the crowd. Look happy and "yankee like", and its worth every penny of the $10M.

theslick1
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
For the player himself, it's insane money. 3 for $18M would be plenty.

But for the figurehead/myth/marketing engine/face of the franchise/blah blah blah the difference between $18M and $60M will be earned by the Yanks several times over.

Getting a slick fielding back-up is important. As soon as Jeter gets his PA in the 6th or 7th then just sit him down for D. He can still draw a better OBP then most SS's, so he has utility.

This is what people are overlooking.

GrumpyOldMan
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm neither a Yankee or a Jeter fan, but Jeter is worth ten times more to the Yanks than he is to any other team. He is their captain and the face of the franchise. It's not like money is an issue to the Yankees like it is to other teams.

CostanzaNumba0
11-09-2010, 11:52 AM
ergh this is ugly, i go no more than 3/45

jwilensky
11-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I am a Yankees fan whom believes that Derek Jeter was a Good player at the height of his career, not Great! Good.

Thus far he has gotten Star Player Type money since coming into baseball - why I do not know. I truly believe that the Yankees are at a crossroads. They can either continue to overpay for aging over the hill players or they can start to bring up young talent and let them settle in now.

I think the Yankees have to resign Jeter but at what price???? HE IS NOT WORTH $20 MIL a year! He is only going to decline in offensive numbers and his defensive will start to suffer because of his age. They should move Jeter to Left field and bring up Eduardo Nunez and put him at short.

The Yankees can not continue to rely on older players to win for them.

Their left side of the infield is very old and WAY OVERPAID!!!!!!

Will most Yankee fans be upset with the Yankees treatment of Jeter? Yes
But they have to start treating him for what he is - An old baseball player who is overpaid yet for some crazy reason - still treated like he is a star!

Wake Up Steinbrenner's!!!!!!!!!!

Rylinkus
11-09-2010, 01:06 PM
hahaha , okay.

Doubtful. This one doesn't.

And all the money aside, I'm very concerned about an aging, declining SS being locked up for multiple years. The money is ridiculous as he's not worth ut, but the Yankees should make it back in revenue. It doesn't change the fact that NY held the cards on this one. They have no reason to be loyal. IF NY made a small, but reaosnable offer who would look worse? NY for making a small offer and letting Jeter go elsewhere? Or Jeter taking less money to play for, well, whomever?

11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Doubtful. This one doesn't.

And all the money aside, I'm very concerned about an aging, declining SS being locked up for multiple years. The money is ridiculous as he's not worth ut, but the Yankees should make it back in revenue. It doesn't change the fact that NY held the cards on this one. They have no reason to be loyal. IF NY made a small, but reaosnable offer who would look worse? NY for making a small offer and letting Jeter go elsewhere? Or Jeter taking less money to play for, well, whomever?

Jeter (or his agent) is most likely going to point out that he has only really had one bad season. He hit .334 in 2009 at 35 and finished 3rd in MVP voting. Remember how Yankee fans were saying he was the best player on the team and most valuable? This did not happen too long ago. Jeter will chalk it up to an off year and not a decline. Declines take place over a few seasons and cannot be judged on one year.

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 01:30 PM
No one seems to understand this situation beyond statistics. It's so sad.

They are paying Jeter for services rendered. He is the soul of what the Yankees have become these past 15 years: the most valuable sports franchise in the world. Yankees fans know this (they remember the 80's/early90's) and would burn the new stadium down if Jeter was let go. This is so beyond statistics, or what an aging shortstop is really worth. This isn't even really a baseball decision; it's business.

11-09-2010, 01:32 PM

They are paying Jeter for services rendered. He is the soul of what the Yankees have become these past 15 years: the most valuable sports franchise in the world. Yankees fans know this (they remember the 80's/early90's) and would burn the new stadium down if Jeter was let go. This is so beyond statistics, or what an aging shortstop is really worth. This isn't even really a baseball decision; it's business.

I guess you did not read any other post because it does seem some people get it.

oak2455
11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I am a Yankees fan whom believes that Derek Jeter was a Good player at the height of his career, not Great! Good.

Thus far he has gotten Star Player Type money since coming into baseball - why I do not know. I truly believe that the Yankees are at a crossroads. They can either continue to overpay for aging over the hill players or they can start to bring up young talent and let them settle in now.

I think the Yankees have to resign Jeter but at what price???? HE IS NOT WORTH $20 MIL a year! He is only going to decline in offensive numbers and his defensive will start to suffer because of his age. They should move Jeter to Left field and bring up Eduardo Nunez and put him at short.

The Yankees can not continue to rely on older players to win for them.

Their left side of the infield is very old and WAY OVERPAID!!!!!!

Will most Yankee fans be upset with the Yankees treatment of Jeter? Yes
But they have to start treating him for what he is - An old baseball player who is overpaid yet for some crazy reason - still treated like he is a star!

Wake Up Steinbrenner's!!!!!!!!!!

so when your just good as you say....you go in as a first ballot HOF:facepalm: your just trolling making absolutely no sense....trying to keep this silly thread going.. btw he will probably play 3rd in 2012 and have Arod fulltime DH, thats the word around town if you are a real Yankee fan:rolleyes:

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Most players, yes, you should compare to others.

Jeter is simply different.

Exactly.

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I guess you did not read any other post because it does seem some people get it.

I just read the first page and I got frustrated with the responses. Take a look at that.

oak2455
11-09-2010, 01:37 PM

agreed but Im guessing most people arent that smart....kudos to you, and whoever else gets it:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Rylinkus
11-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Jeter (or his agent) is most likely going to point out that he has only really had one bad season. He hit .334 in 2009 at 35 and finished 3rd in MVP voting. Remember how Yankee fans were saying he was the best player on the team and most valuable? This did not happen too long ago. Jeter will chalk it up to an off year and not a decline. Declines take place over a few seasons and cannot be judged on one year.

2008 was his 2nd worst season. So his 2 worst seasons have come in the past 3 years. :shrug:

The business is baseball. Isn't putting the best product on the field the end goal?

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 01:46 PM
2008 was his 2nd worst season. So his 2 worst seasons have come in the past 3 years. :shrug:

The business is baseball. Isn't putting the best product on the field the end goal?

No. It isn't. The goal is profit.

koldjerky
11-09-2010, 01:47 PM

No, a business decision would be cutting him lose to save money for his replacement (a better option) rather than overpaying for him.

I understand he's basically as iconic as Ruth is to the Yankees, but they are the only team that would over pay for a guy in Jeter's situation.

In saying that though, Yankee "business" is different for than just about every team in the league. They can offer that kind of deal to any player and it won't hurt them as much as it would any other team. So I guess since they can afford it and Jeter is so iconic, it seems that this has to be done.

If that's the case though, it'd be a good thing if the Yankees don't produce anymore iconic figures.

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 01:48 PM
No, a business decision would be cutting him lose to save money for his replacement rather than overpaying for him.
I understand he's basically as iconic as Ruth is to the Yankees, but they are the only team that would over pay for a guy in Jeter's situation.

In saying that though, Yankee "business" is different for than just about every team in the league. They can offer that kind of deal to any player and it won't hurt them as much as it would any other team. So I guess since they can afford it and Jeter is so iconic, it seems that this has to be done. If that's the case though, it'd be a good thing if the Yankees don't produce anymore iconic figures.

You realize you just made two entirely opposite points, right?

koldjerky
11-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I said there is Yankee business and the business of other teams.

The first point I made was a generalized business move not a Yankee business move.

DodgerB24
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM

No. For some owners it's stealing money from the team only to build 10 mansions. :cry:

oak2455
11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
No. For some owners it's stealing money from the team only to build 10 mansions. :cry:

your right the other teams dont put money into their product, too much pocketing:speechless:

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I said there is Yankee business and the business of other teams.

The first point I made was a generalized business move not a Yankee business move.

Then why even make that distinction when we are just discussing the Yankees? It makes the idea of a "generalized business move" obsolete. All business decisions are subjective in nature, depending upon circumstance...

sep11ie
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Doesn't matter what they give him. Not like there is a cap or they will be prevented from spending extra.

VRP723
11-09-2010, 02:05 PM

No, the problem is that we do understand that, and we think that it's asinine.

Rylinkus
11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
No. It isn't. The goal is profit.

As a fan I don't like the idea of putting an inferior product on the field to turn a profit. (Assuming overpaying for Jeter helps to turn a profit) I don't like it when the Royals or Marlins do it, and I don't like it if NY is doing it.

koldjerky
11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Then why even make that distinction when we are just discussing the Yankees? It makes the idea of a "generalized business move" obsolete. All business decisions are subjective in nature, depending upon circumstance...

When discussing the Yankees and money/business moves you should include the distinction they have between other clubs.

Why I suggested it is because if any other club did this (hell, the Phillies somewhat did this in signing Howard to the deal they did) they would not being able to deal with it before the contract was even close to being finished. Yankees can do this. Yes they'll be over paying, but my point was to say that it's over paying to other teams (bad business move) but it is something the Yankees won't necessarily scoff at; however, it seems as though the Yankees are overpaying for past services and accolades over current statistics which is never good for any business.

But like I said, I generalized the business move because usually teams would part ways unless the player took a pay cut at this point in their career.

No Fun League
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
all about the name

yanks19791024
11-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I guess if your a Yankee fan you should be mad bc high salary=higher tik prices, if your not a yankee fan shut up you are not paying him its not your money...

Bo Sox Fan
11-09-2010, 02:21 PM
So after reading all these posts, all I can come up with is that the Yankees are vastly overpaying Jeter for what he has done in the past, and NOT for what he can't do on the field anymore for the next 3-4 years!?

Hell that's great news as a Sox fan.

One more downgrade resigned for the Yankees, playing on an everyday basis until he's 90 years old, LOL.

Question: Does Brian Cashman ever look at the long term plan when he signs players? Or does he just sign to win for the moment...

Swishalicious
11-09-2010, 02:34 PM
So after reading all these posts, all I can come up with is that the Yankees are vastly overpaying Jeter for what he has done in the past, and NOT for what he can't do on the field anymore for the next 3-4 years!?

One more downgrade resigned for the Yankees, playing on an everyday basis until he's 90 years old, LOL.

Question: Does Brian Cashman ever look at the long term plan when he signs players? Or does he just sign to win for the moment...

Even at his age he is still a better option at shortstop, better than anyone Boston has had in the past 6 years. But thats not really saying much is it?

And its not great news for Sox fans, its just bad news for Yankee fans. Cause now yankee fans can continue to spend ridiculous sums of $$ to go to games and for what? So we can overpay Jeter.

Answer: Because the Yankees win so much, they don't have as much big-league ready talent due to drafts. So he kinda has to sign to win for the moment... who else could he get to play shortstop? Nunez? He will probably get more playing time for the next 2 years, but taking over a position for the Yankees is gradual. Look at Girardi and Posada

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 02:38 PM
As a fan I don't like the idea of putting an inferior product on the field to turn a profit. (Assuming overpaying for Jeter helps to turn a profit) I don't like it when the Royals or Marlins do it, and I don't like it if NY is doing it.

It doesn't matter if you like it. It's the way it is. They OWE Derek Jeter, not as much because of his play, but because he restored and elevated the Yankee brand to such new heights. And since the Jeter camp knows that the Yankees can afford it, they will seek to collect.

Gunzito22
11-09-2010, 02:39 PM

OK... I'll bite. Yes, Jeter is getting overpaid 'mostly' due to services rendered. meanwhile, yes, its also about doing right by a 16 year veteran who by the way is about to break a TON of team records, become the only Yankee to get to 3000 hits, and has 5 rings... so there's that.

Not to mention, there are NOOOOOOO short stops available this off-season who can come close to Jeters production (you can make an arguement for Rollins and Reyes, but their options are picked up):

Shortstops
Orlando Cabrera CIN *
Craig Counsell MIL
Alex Gonzalez ATL *
Cristian Guzman TEX
J.J. Hardy MIN
Jerry Hairston Jr. SD
Omar Infante ATL *
Cesar Izturis BAL
Derek Jeter NYY
Jhonny Peralta DET *
Edgar Renteria SF *
Jose Reyes NYM *
Jimmy Rollins PHI *
Juan Uribe SF
Ramon Vazquez HOU
Chris Woodward SEA

and ANY of you douche-nozzles who dare utter Edgar Renteria after one goddam WS homerun, please jump off a bridge.

And for the record, the Boy Wonder has made more bad signings that no one remembers, including picking up David Ortiz's option for about twice as much as his market value, just last week...

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
When discussing the Yankees and money/business moves you should include the distinction they have between other clubs.

Why I suggested it is because if any other club did this (hell, the Phillies somewhat did this in signing Howard to the deal they did) they would not being able to deal with it before the contract was even close to being finished. Yankees can do this. Yes they'll be over paying, but my point was to say that it's over paying to other teams (bad business move) but it is something the Yankees won't necessarily scoff at; however, it seems as though the Yankees are overpaying for past services and accolades over current statistics which is never good for any business.
But like I said, I generalized the business move because usually teams would part ways unless the player took a pay cut at this point in their career.

You're not in business are you? College student?

Rylinkus
11-09-2010, 02:43 PM
It doesn't matter if you like it. It's the way it is. They OWE Derek Jeter, not as much because of his play, but because he restored and elevated the Yankee brand to such new heights. And since the Jeter camp knows that the Yankees can afford it, they will seek to collect.

They paid him 189 million dollars over a decade. They don't owe him a thing. Derek Jeter didn't elevate the team. The team as a whole did. Winning is a wonderful elixer. And Jeter was part of it, but so were Bernie, Tino, Jorge, Rivera, etc, etc.

Mr Haha
11-09-2010, 02:48 PM
They paid him 189 million dollars over a decade. They don't owe him a thing. Derek Jeter didn't elevate the team. The team as a whole did. Winning is a wonderful elixer. And Jeter was part of it, but so were Bernie, Tino, Jorge, Rivera, etc, etc.

It's true, he was just a part, but the reality is that Jeter's face is the worldwide symbol of that success... It's just the way it is. No need to get worked up about it.

Fargus
11-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Ordinarily I hate the yankees payroll decisions, but this would be a classy move. :clap:

koldjerky
11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
You're not in business are you? College student?

Maybe saying "never" was a bad choice of words, but you'd think the odds paying someone solely off of their past accolades is not a thoroghly thought out business move. It'd be different if you bought low on that but the Yankees are not.

I understand Jeter isn't necessarily done as a ball player yet but the Yankees coming out and saying they are willing to overpay for him isn't good. Unless this is some sort of ploy the Yankees are constructing to just get Jeter to not look elsewhere, I think they are just being poor about this.

Since it probably won't hinder them from doing anything else I guess this is all moot.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I agree with everything you said in this thread until the bolded. Jeter will get a fat contract that is dramatically above market because of the value to the team and the Yankees knowing what they need to do. Mostly, however, he will get it because the Yankees can afford to pay him that amount as a thank you gift.

Jeter has been more than fairly compensated throughout his career and it is absurd to think that the Yankees owe him anything (as he does not owe them anything). They have had a great relationship and he will retire as a Yankee almost certainly. However, the guy has been paid $200M in his career as a Yankee and has delivered for them in that time, but that doesn't mean he is owed more going forward. As one of the Yankee fans in this thread rightfully stated, the Yanks will pay him well now as a thank you gift. Those gifts don't happen (and if they do, it is very seldom) in other companies because there are shareholders and others to be pleased.

Also, don't hold your breath on Jeter getting anything more than a token piece of ownership and I don't expect him to get any portion of it.

As an aside, the fact that the Yankees can afford to pay Jeter 2-3X his value without batting an eye and as a thank you for the past is the reason why people get mad at the Yankees and argue for a salary cap. I am not saying that argument is correct, but it is there.

Well companies do, it's called severance packages, but this one allows the employee to continue on ;)

It does happen, we offered it to two guys this past summer, it isn't common, and the guys will both contribute still, but we basically made a map to their retirement date with mutually defined goals and expectations.

Yes, it does happen.

Rylinkus
11-09-2010, 03:12 PM
It's true, he was just a part, but the reality is that Jeter's face is the worldwide symbol of that success... It's just the way it is. No need to get worked up about it.

Honestly, I'm not worked up about it. Merely posting an opinion. I do not feel NY owes Derek anything. He's been very well compensated for all he's done for the team. He was handed one of the most lucrative contracts in baseaball. Now he's older, and clearly showing signs of slowing down. Frankly, I don't care too much about the money. I do think NY will make most of the "overpaying" back with generated revenue. I do wonder if they'd need to pay that much to get him back. If Jeter took less, and went elsewhere, who really looks worse? I'd say Jeter.

But my biggest concern is the contract length. I don't want an inferior player on the field out of loyalty. Yankees fans have recently watched Bernie hit ridiculous decline. And it only hurts the team. I hope the years are reasonable and that we're soon looking for Jeter's heir. It's not a knock on Derek. It's simple life. People get old.

NYKNYGNYY
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
theyre paying him for what hes done, not what hes gonna do...if this happends :facepalm:

oak2455
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
OK... I'll bite. Yes, Jeter is getting overpaid 'mostly' due to services rendered. meanwhile, yes, its also about doing right by a 16 year veteran who by the way is about to break a TON of team records, become the only Yankee to get to 3000 hits, and has 5 rings... so there's that.

Not to mention, there are NOOOOOOO short stops available this off-season who can come close to Jeters production (you can make an arguement for Rollins and Reyes, but their options are picked up):

and ANY of you douche-nozzles who dare utter Edgar Renteria after one goddam WS homerun, please jump off a bridge.

And for the record, the Boy Wonder has made more bad signings that no one remembers, including picking up David Ortiz's option for about twice as much as his market value, just last week...

I was going to respond, that was a perfect post great job...:clap::clap: and BTW love the sig great commercial..:D

here's just a few of Theo the boy Genius mistakes:
Mike Cameron signing
Josh Beckett extension
Matt Clement, free agent pick-up. 4 years, $40M.
J.D. Drew, free agent pick-up. 5 years, $70M. He’d be #1 or #2 except he actually plays once in awhile.
Julio Lugo, free agent pick-up. 4 years, $36M.
Edgar Renteria, free agent pick-up. 4 years, $40M.
Daisuke Matsuzaka, 6 years, $52M plus $51.11M posting fee. Tough call, but not looking good.

Swishalicious
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
theyre paying him for what hes done, not what hes gonna do...if this happends :facepalm:

Kinda true, but not completely.

He is still going to bring fans into the stadium, he is still going to be the captain of the yankees, he is still going to hit above average for a shortstop. He never really deserved $20 million to begin with, now he just deserves it even less...

SLY WILLIAMS
11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I only read the first post. 15-20 mill a year is insane. DJ has been great in the past but he was also paid very well for those years. I want DJ to stay but not at those rates. I would be OK with a 2 year 18 mill total deal

TO to the CHI
11-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Well companies do, it's called severance packages, but this one allows the employee to continue on ;)

It does happen, we offered it to two guys this past summer, it isn't common, and the guys will both contribute still, but we basically made a map to their retirement date with mutually defined goals and expectations.

Yes, it does happen.

A severance package is an entirely different concept. As is mapping a route to an employee's retirement date. Your example are rare, but they also differ from your earlier point.

You were talking earlier about providing someone with compensation above what is currently deserved as a reward for past activities. In your instance, it is people determining an appropriate end date (by choice or otherwise) and giving compensation commensurate with that end date. Most good companies offer retirement planning, etc. On the other hand it is very rare, if ever, that a company will pay someone a continuing, and inflated salary, based on past performance, which is what you are suggesting.

In Jeter's case it might be done, because the world of sports is different. But make no mistake, it is an example of the Yankees doing the right thing, and not doing what is necessary. Jeter cannot leave. There is nowhere for him to go where he would get paid anywhere near Yankee dollars. A lowball offer from the Yanks would be what, 3/36? That is still more than any other team is likely to offer. To all the fans saying that he makes the Yanks profit -- I agree. That much is obvious. But he would make them that profit whether he is resigned at market or above market. Paying him anything over market is a compliment to how the Yanks do business, but it is not done as part of a business decision (unless you want to argue a wide ranging strategy of strong treatment and a hope that other players will see this and want to be part of the Yankee brand -- this is possible, but players already seem to want to be part of the Yankee brand).

Norieaga
11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I was going to respond, that was a perfect post great job...:clap::clap: and BTW love the sig great commercial..:D

Mike Cameron signing
Josh Beckett extension
J.D. Drew, free agent pick-up. 5 years, $70M. He’d be #1 or #2 except he actually plays once in awhile.
Daisuke Matsuzaka, 6 years, $52M plus $51.11M posting fee. Tough call, but not looking good.

The Beckett extension is still pending, and J.D. Drew has not been a mistake at all. Look up the stats and you'll see that he's been a VERY solid player for Boston when healthy. I agree with the others though.

oak2455
11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
The Beckett extension is still pending, and J.D. Drew has not been a mistake at all. Look up the stats and you'll see that he's been a VERY solid player for Boston when healthy. I agree with the others though.

see this is why we have this forum everyone has their own opinion, I appreciate you not slamming me for mine:D

Rylinkus
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Mike Cameron signing
Josh Beckett extension

If you feel the need to point out other teams follies to justify signing Jeter, it shows how poor a signing it is.

mulcahy26
11-09-2010, 03:49 PM
This is what bothers me most about fans who arent yankees fans...the yankees can never win to people other than their fans. If they win the world series they bought it if they dont win the world series they are a waste of money and a laughing stock. Same goes for this. If we don't pay jeter or sign him then everyone will say the Yankees are classless and should be ashamed that we didnt pay him after all hes done or people will say the yankees really disrespected jeter or something along those lines that the yankees arent loyal. On the other hand if the Yankees do end up paying jeter other fans complain that its some outrageous amount that he doesnt deserve and that the yankees are stupid for over paying him. First off why do other fans care, it's not your teams money thats being spent. Second, pick a damn side and stop bashing the yankees for absolutely every move they make, it's getting old

oak2455
11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
If you feel the need to point out other teams follies to justify signing Jeter, it shows how poor a signing it is.

actually just responding to another post but thanks for asking.....I dont mind the Jeter signing at all because I know what he means to this franchise and the city... its not going to affect the Yanks in any way they always seem to get around a bad signing or two:D

roju23
11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I think if you look at the salary on its own versus Jeter's 2010 production, it is ludicrous. When I first thought of Jeter on the market, I figured they would give him a deal in the 50-60million range over 4 years. The more I hear about the situation though, it seems that the Yankees have a great deal to gain financially keeping him around for a few more years.

They will profit extensively selling Jeter-3000 materials this next season, not to mention the ticket sales for the few games he will be in the hunt for the "big hit". He is also a big ticket draw on an everyday basis. As bad as he was in the middle of 2010, the stadium still shook when he came to bat in the first inning. The women go crazy over him, which keeps them coming (no pun intended). Like him or not, he is the face of the Yankee franchise and possibly the face of the MLB over the last decade or so. He is being rewarded for having a squeaky clean image with the ulimate team first attitude. He is a guy that the Dad's in the stands can point to as "the way to do it". He hustles to first, runs in and out of the dugout. He is the first guy on the field to celebrate and the last to leave. He is the epitome of what we want our athletes to be.

Overpaid- yes. Worth it- absolutely.

oak2455
11-09-2010, 03:54 PM
This is what bothers me most about fans who arent yankees fans...the yankees can never win to people other than their fans. If they win the world series they bought it if they dont win the world series they are a waste of money and a laughing stock. Same goes for this. If we don't pay jeter or sign him then everyone will say the Yankees are classless and should be ashamed that we didnt pay him after all hes done or people will say the yankees really disrespected jeter or something along those lines that the yankees arent loyal. On the other hand if the Yankees do end up paying jeter other fans complain that its some outrageous amount that he doesnt deserve and that the yankees are stupid for over paying him. First off why do other fans care, it's not your teams money thats being spent. Second, pick a damn side and stop bashing the yankees for absolutely every move they make, it's getting old

I agree with most of your post

TO to the CHI
11-09-2010, 03:59 PM
I think if you look at the salary on its own versus Jeter's 2010 production, it is ludicrous. When I first thought of Jeter on the market, I figured they would give him a deal in the 50-60million range over 4 years. The more I hear about the situation though, it seems that the Yankees have a great deal to gain financially keeping him around for a few more years.

They will profit extensively selling Jeter-3000 materials this next season, not to mention the ticket sales for the few games he will be in the hunt for the "big hit". He is also a big ticket draw on an everyday basis. As bad as he was in the middle of 2010, the stadium still shook when he came to bat in the first inning. The women go crazy over him, which keeps them coming (no pun intended). Like him or not, he is the face of the Yankee franchise and possibly the face of the MLB over the last decade or so. He is being rewarded for having a squeaky clean image with the ulimate team first attitude. He is a guy that the Dad's in the stands can point to as "the way to do it". He hustles to first, runs in and out of the dugout. He is the first guy on the field to celebrate and the last to leave. He is the epitome of what we want our athletes to be.

Overpaid- yes. Worth it- absolutely.

Your assessment has been addressed elsewhere in this thread. The bottom line is that no one (I don't think ) is advocating the Yankees should cast Jeter aside. People are just pointing out that by overpaying him significantly relative to the market, the Yankees are spending money unnecessarily. If they keep him (at any price) they get all of the value that you mention above. So obviously paying as little as possible makes sense from a business perspective. The fact that they will likely pay far more than market speaks to a Yankee way of doing things and payment for past performance, but it does not make business sense (it never, or virtually never, makes "business" sense to pay more than you have to for something).

koldjerky
11-09-2010, 04:00 PM

I'll admit I'm definitely not a Yankee supporter but that's more for the fans that act like they deserve every single player they inquire about, and the fans that think they deserve to win every single season, and the fans that as soon as they get defensive they have nothing better to say than "27!"

I've dealt with many reasonable Yankee fans too, so I really have no problems unless I'm approached by the aforementioned fans.

As for what you're saying, since Jeter is such a Yankee icon he does deserve a little bit more from the Yankees than he'd reserve from another team. The thing is, he wouldn't get anywhere near what the Yankees are offering by any other team. If the Yankees were to realize this and feel as though they can use their money wisely by spending it somewhere else, I'd think people would shed a little different light on the Yankees.

Gunzito22
11-09-2010, 04:18 PM

actually, i felt that was pitcure perfect response to this:

because, you know, the Boy Genius runs his team intelligently, and they only make 'smart signings'...

For what its worth, I think picking up $12M Ortiz's option (when the market has really dictated his value should be closer to Matsui's $6M or Vlad's $9M)based on what he's done in a Red Sox uniform is EXACTLY what he is calling Cashman stupid for doing with Jeter...

bringinwood
11-09-2010, 04:23 PM
This is just another example of how people, generally, don't understand the economic structure of baseball...

Derek Jeter, for all his accolades and achievements, is simple not worth Teixeria or Ryan Howard type money when you consider what type of production your going to get out of him on the diamond...

However, he has drawn more fans, sold more jerseys, and delivered more sold season ticket packages than just about anyone currently in baseball... For the Yankees, he will continue to do this... Without him, you take huge hits in attendance, merchandise sales, and tv ratings...

He is worth more to the Yankees than any other player they have...

Most notably, he is not worth this much money to any other team other than the Yankees because he hasn't played for any other team other than the Yankees... To any other team he is a washed up mid 30s shortstop that can't play solid defense... To the Yankees, he's their ambassador, leader, and captain...

Remember, Manny Ramirez wasn't worth his 2 yr 40 MM contract... A-Rod's 10 yr 265 MM extension was laughable in terms of production on the field...

However, from a business standpoint, it's justifiable to pay these guys this much money when they are making their respective ballclubs, at least, 5 times that amount on any given year...

roju23
11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Your assessment has been addressed elsewhere in this thread. The bottom line is that no one (I don't think ) is advocating the Yankees should cast Jeter aside. People are just pointing out that by overpaying him significantly relative to the market, the Yankees are spending money unnecessarily. If they keep him (at any price) they get all of the value that you mention above. So obviously paying as little as possible makes sense from a business perspective. The fact that they will likely pay far more than market speaks to a Yankee way of doing things and payment for past performance, but it does not make business sense (it never, or virtually never, makes "business" sense to pay more than you have to for something).

Sorry for the oversight. I jumped into the discussion late, didnt feel like reading all 9 pages.

I agree with what you are saying and I think any other business in the world would take that stance when making a decision, but other businesses do not get scrutinized as heavily by so many, as does Yankee baseball. 90% of Yankee fans want Jeter signed and will not care what the salary is. The other 10% might complain about his salary but would be more vocal if they did not retain him. If they had to watch him get his 3,000th hit as a Milwaukee Brewer, it would be brutal. So even though, they are bidding against themselves, I think they are just giving him the bonus knowing about the anticipated money in the next year. I totally see the argument against and agree with it, but I think we are dealing with a different animal when talking about the Yankees and Jeter.

VenezuelanMet
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
LMAOOOO, Jeter won yet another undeserved Gold Glove, I bet the Yankees weren't expecting this.

11-09-2010, 05:14 PM
I have never seen so many people care about what happens to another team. Like I have been saying all along PSD is full of closet Yankee fans.

theslick1
11-09-2010, 05:19 PM
This is just another example of how people, generally, don't understand the economic structure of baseball...

Derek Jeter, for all his accolades and achievements, is simple not worth Teixeria or Ryan Howard type money when you consider what type of production your going to get out of him on the diamond...

However, he has drawn more fans, sold more jerseys, and delivered more sold season ticket packages than just about anyone currently in baseball... For the Yankees, he will continue to do this... Without him, you take huge hits in attendance, merchandise sales, and tv ratings.....

One of the guys on MLB network jokingly said that the Yankees should offer Jeter $1 per year and let him keep all the revenue from merchandising that he generates.

bringinwood
11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
One of the guys on MLB network jokingly said that the Yankees should offer Jeter $1 per year and let him keep all the revenue from merchandising that he generates.

He's taking a sizable paycut from not doing this, probably hundreds of millions...

It wouldn't matter if Derek Jeter was the batboy, he is still worth this money just for the amount of money he generates...

There are, in the grand scheme of things, very few bad contracts in sports relative to how much money they generate...

I can think of a few like Chan Ho Park with the Rangers, Kevin Brown with the Dodgers, and Mike Hampton's contract with Rockies...

How many Chan Ho Park jersey's were being sold ???

However, how many Barry Zito's jersey's have you seen ???

Within 6 months, Zito's contract was worth it for the next 7 years...

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 06:14 PM
actually just responding to another post but thanks for asking.....I dont mind the Jeter signing at all because I know what he means to this franchise and the city... its not going to affect the Yanks in any way they always seem to get around a bad signing or two:D

Are we talking about derek jeter, or batman? NY fans have been succumbed by some imaginary world that derek jeter is the protector of N.Y.

When in reality in his old age (baseball standards) he is a marco scutaro

Public Enemy #1
11-09-2010, 06:18 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bringinwood
11-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Are we talking about derek jeter, or batman? NY fans have been succumbed by some imaginary world that derek jeter is the protector of N.Y.

I'll be the first to say, completely based on Jeter's on the field production, he isn't worth that sort of money...

But, to compare him to Marco Scutaro is such an epic discredit to Jeter you really can't put that into context...

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 06:30 PM
ok well production wise thats what he was in 2010, take it up with his stats if you do not like the comparison

cambovenzi
11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I'll be the first to say, completely based on Jeter's on the field production, he isn't worth that sort of money...

But, to compare him to Marco Scutaro is such an epic discredit to Jeter you really can't put that into context...

Scutaro has actually turned into a pretty decent player and aside from jeters great 09 season, they have been putting up similar stats.(very similar WARs)

theslick1
11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Scutaro has actually turned into a pretty decent player and aside from jeters great 09 season, they have been putting up similar stats.(very similar WARs)

Similar WARs?

Aside from 2010, when they weren't that far apart (Jeter 2.5, Scutaro 2.1), I don't see that similarity.

Since 2002 (when Scutaro's career began), Jeter's WAR is 41.9, Scutaro's is 12.5.

Scutaro's best season was 2009, when his WAR was 4.3. Jeter's WAR was 7.1 that year.

fingerbang
11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
You can't compare Jeter to Scutaro. Jeter sells so many more tickets, jerseys, and hats. The Yankees generate insane revenues. Jeter needs his slice of the pie too.

Jeter could definitely find a DH job worth more than Scutaro's pay. Whether you like him or not he's one of the most marketable players in the MLB and not every baseball fan is a number cruncher. He'd certainly boost ticket/merchandise sales if he went on to play for another team (not that this will happen).

cambovenzi
11-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Similar WARs?

Aside from 2010, when they weren't that far apart (Jeter 2.5, Scutaro 2.1), I don't see that similarity.

Since 2002 (when Scutaro's career began), Jeter's WAR is 41.9, Scutaro's is 12.5.

Scutaro's best season was 2009, when his WAR was 4.3. Jeter's WAR was 7.1 that year.

Im not talking about career stats..
im talking about recently.
2008 and 2010

fingerbang
11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
2008 and 2010

but your not talking about 2009 when he hit .334...

:laugh2:

Rylinkus
11-09-2010, 08:28 PM
You can't compare Jeter to Scutaro. Jeter sells so many more tickets, jerseys, and hats. The Yankees generate insane revenues. Jeter needs his slice of the pie too.

Jeter could definitely find a DH job worth more than Scutaro's pay. Whether you like him or not he's one of the most marketable players in the MLB and not every baseball fan is a number cruncher. He'd certainly boost ticket/merchandise sales if he went on to play for another team (not that this will happen).

Guys who has an OPS+ of 90 last season aren't the best option for DHs.

Swishalicious
11-09-2010, 08:39 PM
2008 and 2010

It's fair to say that his last season is hinting towards a decline... but you cannot use 2008's numbers without considering 2009's numbers.

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
yeah I was strictly looking at 2010

Honestly to me jeter is replaceable, whoever is in NY is marketable.

Either way It is understandable, the Sox went up the *** with the posting fee for Dice-K, and now they have a whole country to market too, probably why they will not trade him

Jays Claw
11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Jeter could definitely find a DH job worth more than Scutaro's pay.

Their poor offensive numbers disagree with this notion.

2010:

Jeter - (.100 ISO, .340 OBP%, .710 OPS, .307 BABIP & 2.5 WAR)

Scutaro - (.112 ISO, .333 OBP%, .721 OPS, .295 BABIP & 2.1 WAR)

oak2455
11-09-2010, 09:41 PM

really so Marco a first time HOF?? 5 time Word Champion?? nahhhh wrong guy:facepalm:

oak2455
11-09-2010, 09:43 PM
2008 and 2010

but you leave out 2009?? :facepalm:

oak2455
11-09-2010, 09:44 PM

or career stats before that....:confused:

cambovenzi
11-09-2010, 09:48 PM
but your not talking about 2009 when he hit .334...

:laugh2:

I mentioned his 2009 as a great season..

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Jeter is a first ballot hall of famer, if that should settle anything, and it isn't because of his popularity, he would be even if he had played in Kansas City his whole career and never won anything, he would still be a hall of famer.

cambovenzi
11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Jeter is a first ballot hall of famer, if that should settle anything, and it isn't because of his popularity, he would be even if he had played in Kansas City his whole career and never won anything, he would still be a hall of famer.

Mike Piazza was a sure fire hall of famer and the best offensive catcher of all time. Face of the franchise.
You didn't see the Mets giving him a 3year/60M contract when he was past his prime.

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 10:25 PM
really so Marco a first time HOF?? 5 time Word Champion?? nahhhh wrong guy:facepalm:

yet they produced basically the same in 2010

What next, care to tell me that jeter has contributed more money to charity then scutaro? His production in 2010 will still remain the same as marcos no matter what you come in here and say

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Mike Piazza was a sure fire hall of famer and the best offensive catcher of all time. Face of the franchise.
You didn't see the Mets giving him a 3year/60M contract when he was past his prime.

Was he a lifetime catcher for the Mets?

It simply is different.

What Atlanta did with Chipper is very similar to what is going to happen with Jeter.

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Was he a lifetime catcher for the Mets?

It simply is different.

What Atlanta did with Chipper is very similar to what is going to happen with Jeter.

ha chipper jones is a much more productive player than jeter, even now in 95 games he had a higher WAR than Jeter this year.

Terrible comparison

Mell413
11-09-2010, 10:32 PM
It must be nice to be able to pay a player for past performance. If any other team gave out this contract they would be laughed at(justifiably so). Doesn't really bother me either way since it's their money they are pissing away. Overpaying Jeter doesn't help their team get younger. I don't see where the improvement is going to come from on this team.

oak2455
11-09-2010, 10:35 PM
yet they produced basically the same in 2010

What next, care to tell me that jeter has contributed more money to charity then scutaro? His production in 2010 will still remain the same as marcos no matter what you come in here and say

wow you know your sports I'm sure I'll see you back in the Yanks forum baiting like usual:rolleyes:

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 10:36 PM
ha chipper jones is a much more productive player than jeter, even now in 95 games he had a higher WAR than Jeter this year.

Terrible comparison

Compare their careers, not 2010 :facepalm:

Seriously.

Sure, 10 WAR off, but their careers and their career contributions to one organization certainly compare. Jones was a recent example, and easy to come up with.

And he was paid similar to the way Jeter will be paid.

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 10:44 PM
their careers? Ok Jones career .402 wOBA for Jones and .371 for Jeter. And defensively not even close by any stretch of the imaginzation.

and while 2 years older jones is still more productive.

Jones is getting 14 million per year... in WAR money he earned almost 11 million in 95 games played, so no not the same, in a sense he is being paid much closer to his worth, then if jeter were to even get a 14 million dollar contract. But the yanks will probably give him a 3 year 60 dollar contract.

Crazy

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 10:47 PM
their careers? Ok Jones career .402 wOBA for Jones and .371 for Jeter. And defensively not even close by any stretch of the imaginzation.

and while 2 years older jones is still more productive.

Jones is getting 14 million per year... in WAR money he earned almost 11 million in 95 games played, so no not the same, in a sense he is being paid much closer to his worth, then if jeter were to even get a 14 million dollar contract. But the yanks will probably give him a 3 year 60 dollar contract.

Crazy

Dude, contributions to their organization. Not their stats.

Jesus.

Both have played their whole hall of fame careers with one organization and been basically the face of a successful franchise and will be paid to retire within the organization.

That is it, not their stats. Jones is certainly the superior player, no argument here what so ever, but let's compare what they have done and the reality of their situations, not their stats. Both hall of famers that have played their careers all in one organization

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 10:49 PM
so what is the point of offering him that much money? Why not offer a 3 year 13 million dollar deal? If he wants money that would clearly be the highest he would get paid, no one else is paying 13+ for him except the yankees.

So why give him a crazy contract because he says so..

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 10:55 PM
so what is the point of offering him that much money? Why not offer a 3 year 13 million dollar deal? If he wants money that would clearly be the highest he would get paid, no one else is paying 13+ for him except the yankees.

What if Jeter says that isn't good enough and walks away from the table?

You just ruined a great lifelong relationships with a hall of famer that will stick around Yankee stadium until his death.

He says that deal isn't enough, and signs elsewhere, for even half as much, just to spite them.

Not saying Jeter would ever leave, but that is the delicate balance. The Yankees need to retain the most positive relationship possible with him.

Teams have done this in the past with their aging hall of famers, surprised San Diego didn't with Hoffman personally.

When you go to Busch Stadium, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Stan Musial (when healthy) all come around consistently. The Yankees don't want to possibly piss him off over a few million bucks and lose all the P.R. and happy fans they could lose.

If Jeter left, wherever he would go, fans would follow his every at bat for sure, especially the closer to number 3000

papipapsmanny
11-09-2010, 11:15 PM
then jeter is a huge ******* with no character?

TallicaFan87
11-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Jeter hurts himself much more than the Yankees if he ends up leaving. If he walks away from the Yankees because of money and then signs somewhere else for less (which would obviously be the case) he just looks greedy as hell. It certainly doesn't help his image - the one that makes him millions and millions of dollars in other stuff outside of baseball.

The Yankees are gonna overpay him, thats a fact. But they can still pay him for his past achievements without a 20M a year deal.

Jeffy25
11-09-2010, 11:31 PM

Or he is trying to get what his leverage allows him?

How much have the Yankees made off of him?

This is why he has an agent, the agent gets to be an ******* for him.

bringinwood
11-09-2010, 11:42 PM

Well...

This is the reality of the situation...

If the Yanks offer a 3 yr 13MM deal, Jeter walks away or signs on with another club, the NY media will know it was due to the Yankees front office not giving him what he deems as adequate compensation...

Now, the fans know this as well... Jeter gets his 3000th hit in a Seattle Mariners uniform and NY would continue to blast the front office for this... Ticket sales are down, merchandise sales as well, not to forget advertising dollars...

The Yankees don't win the world series next season... Whose fault does it now become ??? Oh well the Yankees wouldn't pay Derek Jeter and we stunk in the playoffs...

Lastly, he is a first ballot hall of famer and the most marketable baseball icon this game has ever seen... He embodies the Yankees and, with him out of the picture, the Yankees lose hundreds of millions of dollars next year...

These factors are worth more to the Yankees than any production he could put on the field...

ABOMB_56
11-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Just quoted this because it's your most recent post..

But, the one thing I do admire about your Red Sox organization (as much as it pains for me to say this) is the fact that the front office understands that baseball is a BUSINESS whose main goal is to make money while winning games. They understand giving overrated SS that are declining the leverage in the situation (see Nomar) isn't the smart thing to do, and they turn into heartless business men and cut ties and help the team now and for the future. Now, by no means am I saying the Yanks shouldn't try to re-sign Jeter, but they should offer him at MOST like 3 years/27-30M and let him get his 3000 hits and then let him retire. The Yankees, contrary to popular belief, don't have pockets that are never-ending, and making moves for sentimental purposes isn't the best way to handle a baseball team.

SouljahPhil...
11-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Jeffy defending yanks and jeter..hahahaha!

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Well as long as you are OK with overpaying him massive amounts of money per year for purely non-baseball winning reasons, have fun.

Jeffy25
11-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Jeffy defending yanks and jeter..hahahaha!

I know, and I ****ing hate the Yankees, I hate having to defend the Yankees, and I feel like I have to too much.

Too much Yankee hate on this forum

and bringwood said it best

theslick1
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Well...

This is the reality of the situation...

If the Yanks offer a 3 yr 13MM deal, Jeter walks away or signs on with another club, the NY media will know it was due to the Yankees front office not giving him what he deems as adequate compensation...

Now, the fans know this as well... Jeter gets his 3000th hit in a Seattle Mariners uniform and NY would continue to blast the front office for this... Ticket sales are down, merchandise sales as well, not to forget advertising dollars...

The Yankees don't win the world series next season... Whose fault does it now become ??? Oh well the Yankees wouldn't pay Derek Jeter and we stunk in the playoffs...

Lastly, he is a first ballot hall of famer and the most marketable baseball icon this game has ever seen... He embodies the Yankees and, with him out of the picture, the Yankees lose hundreds of millions of dollars next year...

These factors are worth more to the Yankees than any production he could put on the field...

Bringinwood has brought the wood with this post. This is probably pretty close to reality. Jeter's WAR and his value relative to Chipper Jones are largely irrelevant.

And to the Red Sox fan who thinks otherwise, Jeter is about as iconic to the Yankees as Carl Yastrzemski was to Boston, and Yaz was paid until he was 44 while producing a WAR of 4.6 for his last 4 seasons (average 1.15 for last 4 years).

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Bringinwood has brought the wood with this post. This is probably pretty close to reality. Jeter's WAR and his value relative to Chipper Jones are largely irrelevant.

And to the Red Sox fan who thinks otherwise, Jeter is about as iconic to the Yankees as Carl Yastrzemski was to Boston, and Yaz was paid until he was 44 while producing a WAR of 4.6 for his last 4 seasons (average 1.15 for last 4 years).

Keeping a player around is a lot different than massively overpaying him.
But if you are ok with your team sinking 15-20M a year into a mediocre SS...

oak2455
11-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Well as long as you are OK with overpaying him massive amounts of money per year for purely non-baseball winning reasons, have fun.

Really??? Ive held my tongue for a bit now but a Mets fans saying whats what:confused: Mo Vaughn ring a bell or even Bobby Bonilla( who I still think you paying):facepalm: Come on man please stop, this is a business maybe your owners might take a page from the Yanks and go forward:D

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Really??? Ive held my tongue for a bit now but a Mets fans saying whats what:confused: Mo Vaughn ring a bell or even Bobby Bonilla( who I still think you paying):facepalm: Come on man please stop, this is a business maybe your owners might take a page from the Yanks and go forward:D

How does mo vaughn have anything to do with overpaying jeter?
b/c i am a mets fan and vaughn got a contract several years ago that means i have to advocate overpaying players?
no logic there.

oak2455
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
How does mo vaughn have anything to do with overpaying jeter?
b/c i am a ets fan and vaughn got a contract several years ago that means i have to advocate overpaying players?
no logic there.

You said have fun OVER paying one of the Faces of the Yankees franchise I'm sure you wouldnt know what that means...... Just giving you a few players that you have over paid that arent even HOF'S.....again this is all business, and the Yanks will be fine:D

SouljahPhil...
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
no problem with the yanks...

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
You said have fun OVER paying one of the Faces of the Yankees franchise I'm sure you wouldnt know what that means...... Just giving you a few players that you have over paid that arent even HOF'S.....again this is all business, and the Yanks will be fine:D

You are condoning overpaying jeter who is aging and just had a crappy year.
where do you see me condoning overpaying a guy like vaughn?

SouljahPhil...
11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Almost all yanks fan condone jeter if the contract won't exceed 3 yrs...

oak2455
11-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Almost all yanks fan condone jeter if the contract won't exceed 3 yrs...

agreed:D

papipapsmanny
11-10-2010, 01:16 PM

His salary was what? 450 Grand? Even with inflation that doesnt even touch 10 million in year, maybe 2 million with inflation.

Plus that last 4 years on the Sox they were not that good, save one year where they finished with 89 wins.... 3rd in the AL East

Webslinger
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Actually with inflation it's over 1 million dollars.

papipapsmanny
11-10-2010, 01:23 PM
never denied that.

Either way the Yankees are not some crappy team, with an usless icon.... see Ripkens last years with the Os.

I highly doubt that if jeter went to another team the yankees wouldn't pack the stadium unless they started doing terrible.

Jeffy25
11-10-2010, 01:42 PM
with inflation, it is 1.18 million from his 1979 salary of $375,000.

That is hardly meaningful, in 1979 the average mlb salary was $113,000.

You were paying him more than 3 times the average mlb salary, while Jeter, if signed for 15 million, would be basically making 4 times as much of the average MLB salary, which was 3.3 million in 2010. It is very relatable.

And yeah, they probably could still sell out, but losing Jeter would be like losing Yaz at the end of his career, or Teddy Ball game. The face of the franchise for over 15 years, and you are going to just let him walk over a few million bucks?

What if Ozzie wanted to go elsewhere in his final years? Or if Ripken, or Chipper etc. These are all first ballot hall of famers, and if their hometown, franchise team were to just let them walk, there would be public outcry.

Hell, Jeter is going to be taking a paycut from his current salary anyway, so what does it matteR?

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 01:48 PM
3years/60 mill is a few mill?
Hes not worth close to that at this stage of his career unless you see a rebound to 2009 numbers until hes 40.

theslick1
11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Keeping a player around is a lot different than massively overpaying him.
But if you are ok with your team sinking 15-20M a year into a mediocre SS...

Whether they pay Jeter 10M/yr or 20M/yr makes no difference to me. It isn't like they're going to tell Cliff Lee's agent, sorry we can't sign your guy because we had to give Jeter an extra few million a year.

papipapsmanny
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
with inflation, it is 1.18 million from his 1979 salary of $375,000.

That is hardly meaningful, in 1979 the average mlb salary was $113,000.

You were paying him more than 3 times the average mlb salary, while Jeter, if signed for 15 million, would be basically making 4 times as much of the average MLB salary, which was 3.3 million in 2010. It is very relatable.

And yeah, they probably could still sell out, but losing Jeter would be like losing Yaz at the end of his career, or Teddy Ball game. The face of the franchise for over 15 years, and you are going to just let him walk over a few million bucks?

What if Ozzie wanted to go elsewhere in his final years? Or if Ripken, or Chipper etc. These are all first ballot hall of famers, and if their hometown, franchise team were to just let them walk, there would be public outcry.

Hell, Jeter is going to be taking a paycut from his current salary anyway, so what does it matteR?

Complete blasphemy, when williams was 38 he put up a 10.3 WAR, and his last season a 4 WAR in a 113 games. I understand what you were pointing at, but no completely different.

I was mostly arguing that production wise he isn't worth it, and if no other team will even approach 10 million per season for him, why dont they just offer him a 3 year 39 million dollar contract? No one will top that, if he walks away he will look terrible. no reason to give him 15-20 million because he says so.

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Whether they pay Jeter 10M/yr or 20M/yr makes no difference to me. It isn't like they're going to tell Cliff Lee's agent, sorry we can't sign your guy because we had to give Jeter an extra few million a year.

Even the yankees, believe it or not, are on some kind of budget.
Massively overpaying a declining SS is not a good baseball move.

oak2455
11-10-2010, 02:12 PM
But there is a Jeter Thread not in the Yankee forum:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:
So I put a Cliff Lee thread and it should get moved bc of Yankee bashing whats the difference:confused:

theslick1
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Even the yankees, believe it or not, are on some kind of budget.
Massively overpaying a declining SS is not a good baseball move.

Yes, they have a budget, and if paying Jeter a few million over market value kept them from improving the team in the off season, I might feel differently, but since Cashman is already flying off to meet with Cliff Lee, that doesn't seem to be the case.

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Its not just a "few mill"
its probably ~10 mill a year if he gets 20 per, or more if he declines more.

YankeesR#2
11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I have never seen so many people care about what happens to another team. Like I have been saying all along PSD is full of closet Yankee fans.

I would say most of the yankee fans here are "in the closet".

I don't think anyone is paying attention. Jeter is an arrogant, conceited piece of work who I suspect is very neat. He's seen Arod get a $30m pern year ontract until he is 42 years old. The yanks gave A J Burnett a 100m contract.

He probably thinks he is currently underpaid. I think the contract will be something like 5 years at 100m. It could be something like 20m,21m,22m,23m and 24m. Then the yanks say something like "We don't want another Willie Mays on our hands, if your play deteriorates then we want the option to terminate the contract and pay you whatever is left over your lifetime. You will become an employee for life for the yanks and we will pay you 2m/ year until the rest of the money is paid.

Jeter would take that because he doesn't think his play will deteriorate and the yankees get a lifetime employee (and also pay a 40% luxury tax on the contract)

theslick1
11-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Its not just a "few mill"
its probably ~10 mill a year if he gets 20 per, or more if he declines more.

Regardless of how much it is, if it doesn't affect their ability to chase Cliff Lee or whoever else they think they need, what difference does it make?

The Yankees blew 46M on a Japanese pitcher who has spent virtually his entire career in the minor leagues, but that didn't slow them down from signing Sabathia, Teixeira, and Burnett. What makes you think giving Jeter 10M, 20M, or 30M more than he's worth will have any effect on them?

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Regardless of how much it is, if it doesn't affect their ability to chase Cliff Lee or whoever else they think they need, what difference does it make?

The Yankees blew 46M on a Japanese pitcher who has spent virtually his entire career in the minor leagues, but that didn't slow them down from signing Sabathia, Teixeira, and Burnett. What makes you think giving Jeter 10M, 20M, or 30M more than he's worth will have any effect on them?

Maybe they will still get lee, but that is 30M they might not spend on another free agent or resigning that could better help the team.

If the yankees didnt blow all that on igawa, maybe they would have picked up someone else, and have more rings than they do.

oak2455
11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Maybe they will still get lee, but that is 30M they might not spend on another free agent or resigning that could better help the team.

If the yankees didnt blow all that on igawa, maybe they would have picked up someone else, and have more rings than they do.

They've won 7 chips since 1977.......pretty Damn good

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
They've won 7 chips since 1977.......pretty Damn good

They've won 1 since 2000, while leading the league in payroll every year.
Spending money wisely is key, and this jeter thing is not a good example of spending money wisely.

oak2455
11-10-2010, 02:59 PM
They've won 1 since 2000, while leading the league in payroll every year.
Spending money wisely is key, and this jeter thing is not a good example of spending money wisely.

2000 beat the Mets and 2009 we beat the Phils did u forget??

Rylinkus
11-10-2010, 03:07 PM
But there is a Jeter Thread not in the Yankee forum:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:
So I put a Cliff Lee thread and it should get moved bc of Yankee bashing whats the difference:confused:

Honestly, the other one really isn't that important a story. No elite free agent is signing before the winter meetings. It's not lihe anything is even vaguely imminent with Lee. Cashman is visiting him. I'd wager a few other GMs will shortly as well. There's just not a heck of a lot to talk about.

Rylinkus
11-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Complete blasphemy, when williams was 38 he put up a 10.3 WAR, and his last season a 4 WAR in a 113 games. I understand what you were pointing at, but no completely different.

I was mostly arguing that production wise he isn't worth it, and if no other team will even approach 10 million per season for him, why dont they just offer him a 3 year 39 million dollar contract? No one will top that, if he walks away he will look terrible. no reason to give him 15-20 million because he says so.

While I think too many people are making too big a deal out of the contract, (I don't think it will hurt NY), but there is a point here. Why spend 60 million if you could only spend 40 million? It seems like they're going to overspend for the sake of overspending and appeasing Derek's feelings. They could still easily outbid everyone else and offer something more reasonable.

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
2000 beat the Mets and 2009 we beat the Phils did u forget??

1 WS win Since they cheated..i mean won in 2000.

avrpatsfan
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
How did they cheat?

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
How did they cheat?

Almost the entire pitching staff was roided up. + others.
and those are just the ones we know about.

Swishalicious
11-10-2010, 03:39 PM

I do hope you know that HGH and steroids are different things. Andy Pettitte took HGH and he took it in 2002. Orlando Hernandez did not take either. Clemens took steroids, but we do not have an accurate account of when he took steroids.

Stop making excuses for your team losing, I bet there were players on your Mets that were taking performance enhancing drugs, but we don't know about them.

See, this is basically the second argument people would use if it wasnt for Yankees spending $$, it would be that they have steroid players. Why do you think so many yankees or former yankees were listed as steroid users? Cause they were the only ones using? no because 1) most of them were big names, so its gets more publicity and 2) they were on the YANKEES ,so they get more publicity.

If you think your Mets were clean, you are one ignorant poster.

theslick1
11-10-2010, 03:41 PM

One of the Mets employees is convicted of selling steroids between 1995 and 2003 to dozens of major leaguers and you want to play the steroid card? Nice try.

aabar4518
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I do hope you know that HGH and steroids are different things. Andy Pettitte took HGH and he took it in 2002. Orlando Hernandez did not take either. Clemens took steroids, but we do not have an accurate account of when he took steroids.

Stop making excuses for your team losing, I bet there were players on your Mets that were taking performance enhancing drugs, but we don't know about them.

See, this is basically the second argument people would use if it wasnt for Yankees spending $$, it would be that they have steroid players. Why do you think so many yankees or former yankees were listed as steroid users? Cause they were the only ones using? no because 1) most of them were big names, so its gets more publicity and 2) they were on the YANKEES ,so they get more publicity.

This exactly

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 04:13 PM
yea i am aware of the difference.
i was using "roided up" as a slang term for illegal PED's.

oh really. that isnt relevant at all right?
we dont know, so lets assume:rolleyes:

10+ players on their 2000 roster were found to be cheating..
This isnt some minor thing.
Dont pretend you are being singled out.
Some of the best players from that team are guilty.
not speculation. Guilty as sin.

You cant just assume the mets were just as dirty when there is no proof of that.
Even if they were, the yankees still cheated.
dont pretend its ok b/c others did it too.

and to the guy talking about radomski.. he was a former mets employee who set up shop after he left the team.
How many key mets from 2000 were implicated in the mitchell report or elsewhere?

Anyways we are getting off topic.
Yankees massively overpaying jeter for sentimental reasons.

oak2455
11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
1 WS win Since they cheated..i mean won in 2000.

Your kidding right?? You look pretty foolish with a statement like that.....heres one bettervwhy has it been since 1986 and no rings since...spending enough money so what's the problem?? BTW Swish and the Slick one filled in the other parts:facepalm:

theslick1
11-10-2010, 04:22 PM
yea i am aware of the difference.
i was using "roided up" as a slang term for illegal PED's.

we dont know, so lets assume:rolleyes:

10+ players on their 2000 roster were found to be cheating..This isnt some minor thing.
Dont pretend you are being singled out.
Some of the best players from that team are guilty.
not speculation. Guilty as sin.You cant just assume the mets were just as dirty when there is no proof of that.
Even if they were, the yankees still cheated.
dont pretend its ok b/c others did it too.

and to the guy talking about radomski.. he was a former mets employee who set up shop after he left the team.
How many key mets from 2000 were implicated in the mitchell report or elsewhere?

Anyways we are getting off topic.
Yankees massively overpaying jeter for sentimental reasons.

Can you list the 10 players you're talking about?

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Can you list the 10 players you're talking about?

Roger Clemens
Andy Pettitte
Chuck Knoblauch
Denny Neagle
Jason Grimsley
Mike Stanton
David Justice
jose canseco
Glenallen Hill

theres 9, which include every starter who pitched during a yankees win in the 2000 WS.

Your kidding right?? You look pretty foolish with a statement like that.....heres one bettervwhy has it been since 1986 and no rings since...spending enough money so what's the problem?? BTW Swish and the Slick one filled in the other parts:facepalm:

You are completely missing the point and trying to tell me i forgot about 2000.
I said SINCE 2000.

This isn't a yankees vs mets thread.

They've spent the most in baseball every year and have only won 1 ring since 2000.
If they would spend that massive amount of money more wisely, ie not overpaying aging players like jeter, maybe they would win more.

theslick1
11-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Roger Clemens
Andy Pettitte
Chuck Knoblauch
Denny Neagle
Jason Grimsley
Mike Stanton
David Justice
jose canseco
Glenallen Hill

theres 9, which include every starter who pitched during a yankees win in the 2000 WS.

First of all, you didn't name a single Yankee starting position player, and aside from Clemens (and we don't know WHEN he started using), you didn't implicate any of the starting pitchers. Also, some of the other guys were implicated after 2000:

Radomski claims to have sold HGH to Stanton during the 2003 season - when he played for the Mets.

Radomski produced checks showing sales of HGH to Grimsley beginning in 2001.
Radomski claims to have sold Justice HGH after the 2000 WS.

Brian McNamee claims to have begun injecting Knoblauch during the 2001 season.

Pettitte didn't use until the 2002 season according to McNamee.

Some of the other guys you named had no impact in the WS. Hill had a total of 3 ABs, Canseco had 1 AB, Neagle pitched 4 innings in relief, Grimsley did not pitch at all.

So, how exactly did the Yankees cheat the Mets out of the 2000 WS again?

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Pettitte Clemens and Neagle started every win of the 2000 world series..

Not keeping around old receipts is proof they didnt do it sooner obviously. :eyebrow:

without some of their regular season efforts the yankees might not have even made the playoffs.

Even if you want to be naive and pretend no one of the others did it or had any effect whatsoever., Clemens' +neagles 2 WS wins are insignificant?

theslick1
11-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Pettitte Clemens and Neagle started every win of the 2000 world series..

Not keeping around old receipts is proof they didnt do it sooner obviously. :eyebrow:
Even if you want to be naive and pretend no one of the others did it or had any effect whatsoever., Clemens' +neagles 2 WS wins are insignificant?

What's interesting is that when someone else posted this:

you reponded with this:

we dont know, so lets assume

So, you didn't like it when some else made assumptions that there were likely roid users among the 2000 Mets, but you have no problem making assumptions that Clemens and Pettitte were using in 2000 even though the only evidence shows they began using later. At least be consistent. If you don't like people making assumptions in the absence of fact about the Mets, then don't make them about the Yankees.

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 05:41 PM
What's interesting is that when someone else posted this:

you reponded with this:

So, you didn't like it when some else made assumptions that there were likely roid users among the 2000 Mets, but you have no problem making assumptions that Clemens and Pettitte were using in 2000 even though the only evidence shows they began using later. At least be consistent. If you don't like people making assumptions in the absence of fact about the Mets, then don't make them about the Yankees.
Thinking that known users used is not much of a stretch.
The evidence shows clemens used in 2000 btw.

Saying "yea we cheated but so did everyone else w/ no proof, so its ok"
is a much bigger assumption.

theslick1
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM

So it's not that you dislike assumptions, you just don't like "big" assumptions.

metsfan4ever
11-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Well I told a yankee fan jeter doesn't desreve that kinda money, and why did I tell him that smh. His respond.

Career .314 avg, 5 gold gloves, 5 world series rings, getting 3000 hits next season, and all this while playing for the pressure filled New York Yankees where if you dont preform your gone!.... First ballot Hall of Famer! Lets Go JETER!!! #2
Best SS in history

papipapsmanny
11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
yes the yankees did cheat, so did every other team from 85-present (with it definitely fading away with all the tests) if you think having a steroid user on a team is cheating

hugepatsfan
11-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Well I told a yankee fan jeter doesn't desreve that kinda money, and why did I tell him that smh. His respond.

Career .314 avg, 5 gold gloves, 5 world series rings, getting 3000 hits next season, and all this while playing for the pressure filled New York Yankees where if you dont preform your gone!.... First ballot Hall of Famer! Lets Go JETER!!! #2
Best SS in history

You know what's even more funny than this awesome post? The fact that you were just so proud of yourself for making it up that you posted it in 2 different threads.

Swishalicious
11-10-2010, 07:35 PM
You know what's even more funny than this awesome post? The fact that you were just so proud of yourself for making it up that you posted it in 2 different threads.

haha, this! :clap:

I mean really, the guy is just so off topic in both threads. And then he goes "we are getting off topic". No, really?! thats what happens when u make outrageous claims

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
nvm

metsfan4ever
11-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Actually I didn't make this up, it was one of my boys on FB and the reason its in two threads cause I didn't know which one I was on and didn't see so I posted it, if you want I give the link to itfor you could see I wasn't bullshitting

oak2455
11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

haha, this! :clap:

I mean really, the guy is just so off topic in both threads. And then he goes "we are getting off topic". No, really?! thats what happens when u make outrageous claims

here's off topic... Met fans are like that kid in school who likes to get beat up all the time and continually is a *** over and over:facepalm:

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Lose an argument and result to petty insults.
classy.

Jeter is getting old, declining, going to be massively overpaid, and didn't deserve this gold glove(or most of them)
prove me wrong.

behindmydesk
11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I read threw the first 6 pages and stopped. Threw the first 6 pages, people are forgetting a key part of why this will help other players (or screw other teams) Arbitration. Jeter's salary will be factored in now when figuring out arbitration, just like Howard's is. They don't throw out one ridiculous contract. They include them all

Swishalicious
11-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Lose an argument and result to petty insults.
classy.

Jeter is getting old, declining, going to be massively overpaid, and didn't deserve this gold glove(or most of them)
prove me wrong.

Bring up an off-topic argument in a forum about Jeter and not expect backlash.
Ignorant.

Jeter is getting old (its inevitable). Declining... based off last year he is, not based of 2009, i think he can have a bounce back. Of course he is overpaid, the yankees pay their homegrown talent big christmas bonuses, about $5 million more than they'd get anywhere else. All gold gloves are bad representation of defense.

theslick1
11-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I read threw the first 6 pages and stopped. Threw the first 6 pages, people are forgetting a key part of why this will help other players (or screw other teams) Arbitration. Jeter's salary will be factored in now when figuring out arbitration, just like Howard's is. They don't throw out one ridiculous contract. They include them all

It's possible that they could take into account a ridiculous contract, but according to the collective bargaining agreement the arbitrators are supposed to take into account:

“the quality of the Player’s contribution to his Club during the past season (including but not limited to his overall performance, special qualities of leadership and public appeal), the length and consistency of his career contribution, the record of the Player’s past compensation, comparative baseball salaries.”

oak2455
11-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Ignorant.

Jeter is getting old (its inevitable). Declining... based off last year he is, not based of 2009, i think he can have a bounce back. Of course he is overpaid, the yankees pay their homegrown talent big christmas bonuses, about $5 million more than they'd get anywhere else. All gold gloves are bad representation of defense.

wasnt there a year when Rafael Palmeiro won and played limited 1st base:confused:

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Ignorant.

Like i said, i barely mentioned it, in 1 word of a post, before you guys started crying wolf about it.

37-40 year old derek jeter probably isnt worth 10-15M a year on the field. so its probably more than 5M overpay.
but atleast you admit hes getting old and declining.

ccugrad1
11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
The Yankees are going to do what they are going to do, but I will say the following, and they are my opinions and nothing more:

1) People make it sound like if Jeter leaves, the world is coming to an end. Did Los Angeles Dodgers baseball come to an end when Piazza left? Did Seattle Mariner baseball come to an end when Ken Griffey Jr left or when Alex Rodriguez left? There comes a point in time, no matter what anyone wants to say, where the Yankees, in this case, need to start thinking about life after Pettite, Jeter, Rivera. They aren't playing forever and no doubt about it, the Yankees will go on. I am a firm believer that part of the reasons the Yankees have not won more than they have is the fact that they are OLD.

2) People can say what they want, but I find it laughable that people think Jeter's contract will have no effect on the SS market, this year and beyond. For example, one FA SS this year is Juan Uribe. Before FA began and this news, or potential news if you will, Uribe probably would have looked a deal like Scutaro's at 6 million per year or something to that effect. But with his season, and if you compare to Jeter, here is what you see:

Uribe 24 HR's to Jeter's 10
Uribe 85 RBI's to Jeter's 67
Uribe's .747 OPS to Jeter's .710
Uribe's .440 SLG to Jeter's .370

There are stats that Jeter is better than Uribe no doubt, but NOW, with Uribe seeing a 36 year old SS getting 15 million as compared to Uribe at 31, NOW Uribe is thinking perhaps 9 or 10 million per year. Should we have been surprised at all when Adrian Gonzalez said he want Mark Texiera money? Agents and players look at other contracts all the time when determining their value. I don't think it is shocking that Cliff Lee is looking at Sabathia for a possible deal in terms of dollars per year.

I like Derek Jeter and respect what he has done for the game. But if his name wasn't Derek Jeter and this wasn't the Yankees, you are talking about a guy who is nothing more than maybe a 6 million a year player. And this team is talking 15-20 million? Come on!

theslick1
11-10-2010, 09:31 PM
The Yankees are going to do what they are going to do, but I will say the following, and they are my opinions and nothing more:

1) People make it sound like if Jeter leaves, the world is coming to an end. Did Los Angeles Dodgers baseball come to an end when Piazza left? Did Seattle Mariner baseball come to an end when Ken Griffey Jr left or when Alex Rodriguez left? There comes a point in time, no matter what anyone wants to say, where the Yankees, in this case, need to start thinking about life after Pettite, Jeter, Rivera. They aren't playing forever and no doubt about it, the Yankees will go on. I am a firm believer that part of the reasons the Yankees have not won more than they have is the fact that they are OLD.

2) People can say what they want, but I find it laughable that people think Jeter's contract will have no effect on the SS market, this year and beyond. For example, one FA SS this year is Juan Uribe. Before FA began and this news, or potential news if you will, Uribe probably would have looked a deal like Scutaro's at 6 million per year or something to that effect. But with his season, and if you compare to Jeter, here is what you see:

Uribe 24 HR's to Jeter's 10
Uribe 85 RBI's to Jeter's 67
Uribe's .747 OPS to Jeter's .710
Uribe's .440 SLG to Jeter's .370

There are stats that Jeter is better than Uribe no doubt, but NOW, with Uribe seeing a 36 year old SS getting 15 million as compared to Uribe at 31, NOW Uribe is thinking perhaps 9 or 10 million per year. Should we have been surprised at all when Adrian Gonzalez said he want Mark Texiera money? Agents and players look at other contracts all the time when determining their value. I don't think it is shocking that Cliff Lee is looking at Sabathia for a possible deal in terms of dollars per year.

I like Derek Jeter and respect what he has done for the game. But if his name wasn't Derek Jeter and this wasn't the Yankees, you are talking about a guy who is nothing more than maybe a 6 million a year player. And this team is talking 15-20 million? Come on!

Market value is not about simply holding up someone else's deal and arguing that you deserve the same deal because you put up similar numbers. There are only a limited number of buyers and sellers out there. Players can only get what teams are willing to pay.

Who was better last year - Alex Rodriguez or Adrian Beltre? Who got paid three time more than the other guy? What do you think the odds are that Beltre will be able to get a deal that pays him 27M a year like A-Rod gets? I'd say absolutely zero. The fact is A-Rod's contract has no bearing on what Beltre will get.

In the same way, the Yankees could give Jeter 25M a year and it isn't going to make Jose Uribe's case any stronger.

Adrian Gonzalez might want "Teixeira money" but he'll only get it if some other team is willing to pay it.

Jeffy25
11-10-2010, 11:27 PM

Talking about this in two threads now?

Ouch

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Talking about this in two threads now?

Ouch

I cant help it that some yankee fans are in denial of PED use, overpaying players like jeter, and outspending every team in baseball by far.

oak2455
11-10-2010, 11:51 PM
I cant help it that some yankee fans are in denial of PED use, overpaying players like jeter, and outspending every team in baseball by far.

Jason Bay who was close on that......no one:facepalm:

cambovenzi
11-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Jason Bay: Relevant to jeter being overpaid.

:facepalm:

The difference btwn the bay contract and the jeter one is expected results.
Bay is younger and projected to be better, while getting less than 20M a year.

oak2455
11-10-2010, 11:56 PM

BTW where are the Mets in payroll....close to the top n still not a success....

Jeffy25
11-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I wish there was a pissing match smiley

oak2455
11-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Jason Bay: Relevant to jeter being overpaid.

:facepalm:

The difference btwn the bay contract and the jeter one is expected results.
Bay is younger and projected to be better, while getting less than 20M a year.

You said players Yanks over pay their players is someone else writing for you????

oak2455
11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I wish there was a pissing match smiley

Lmao good stuff......

cambovenzi
11-11-2010, 12:13 AM
You said players Yanks over pay their players is someone else writing for you????

No matter how you spin it jason bay has nothing to do with jeter.
I say jeter gets overpaid you go "oh but bay haha!"

is that supposed to condone jeter getting overpaid?

No Fun League
11-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Yankees are just payin for the name. But Jeter is smiling and saying cha ching!

Swishalicious
11-11-2010, 12:32 AM
No matter how you spin it jason bay has nothing to do with jeter.
I say jeter gets overpaid you go "oh but bay haha!"

is that supposed to condone jeter getting overpaid?

Unlike any of the current Mets, Jeter won championships for New York and will be beloved forever in New York. Jeter will put MORE fans than Jason Bay EVER could.

And btw, enjoy the contracts of Johan Santana, Carlos Beltran, Luis Castillo, Oliver Perez, Francisco Rodriguez.... oh and in case you didnt know, Santana is like Pedro way back when, he is on a decline. And K-rod is a headcase.

Btw, Mets spend in the top 10 themselves, way to succeed with the $$ you spend ;)

cambovenzi
11-11-2010, 12:44 AM
HES BELOVED!!! lets purposely give him way more than he's worth :love:

Santana is still consistently one of the best pitchers in baseball.
Krod is one of the best young closers in the game.
nice fail attempted bait tho.

And we have a great GM now who wont make dumb moves like this jeter signing.(notice how i try to stay on topic occasionally. you should try it sometime)

No Fun League
11-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Unlike any of the current Mets, Jeter won championships for New York and will be beloved forever in New York. Jeter will put MORE fans than Jason Bay EVER could.

And btw, enjoy the contracts of Johan Santana, Carlos Beltran, Luis Castillo, Oliver Perez, Francisco Rodriguez.... oh and in case you didnt know, Santana is like Pedro way back when, he is on a decline. And K-rod is a headcase.

Btw, Mets spend in the top 10 themselves, way to succeed with the $$ you spend ;)

el oh el to the mets :D

Swishalicious
11-11-2010, 01:20 AM
HES BELOVED!!! lets purposely give him way more than he's worth :love:

Santana is still consistently one of the best pitchers in baseball.
Krod is one of the best young closers in the game.
nice fail attempted bait tho.

And we have a great GM now who wont make dumb moves like this jeter signing.(notice how i try to stay on topic occasionally. you should try it sometime)

You aren't very good at business are you? Jeter will undoubtedly earn the Yankees MORE money than they are PAYING him. So its an investment.... you forget that the Yankees spend a lot of $$? You forget that the $$ has to come from somewhere? It comes from profits, profits of ticket sales and merchandise, things that Jeter promotes greatly.... HE IS THE FACE OF THE ORGANIZATION. We aren't paying Jeter $20 million to play and field like a 28 year old shortstop worthy of an MVP, we are paying him for the profits he will ensue, for political reasons, and to perform at the level he is capable (which is STILL above average, sure his 2010 was a horrible year, but his 2009 was very good, so a bounce back is possible. Besides, there are no better options out there for SS, any other SS will piss of fans, lower yankee profits, and wont even be beneficial for the yanks.

Santana is overrated, his changeup was only effective because his high velocity on the fastball. He is also a fly-ball pitcher, so striking people out is a huge part of his game. Idk if you noticed, but his fastball velocity has lowered AND NOW he is hurt and expect that trend to continue.... so yeah, enjoy Santana ya loser. Sure K-rod is talented and a great closer, but he is a headcase, getting into fights outside of the ballpark. And btw, a top closer isnt valuable until you have a lead in the game and you get to the 9th.

Its not a failed attempt just because YOU said it is. I KNOW that your Mets suck and they have for the past 20 years, so thats something YOU are in denial about and YOU need to deal with.

Riiiiight, cause you didn't start this debate or anything. You see, you can't make stupid claims that are off topic and then call other people out for being off topic. How am I supposed to rebuttal without going off topic. You are so backwards sometimes.

cambovenzi
11-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Do you think the yankees wont sell out even reotely as close to the sae out of games w/o jeter as they would with him?
you are grossly over exaggerating his effect.

1 injury makes santana bad? hate less.
He managed a sub 3 ERA this year with his "lowered velocity"

krod got into a fight! omg no one could possibly do that EVER!!! hes human. so are you. so is everyone else.

Surely there are better options than overpaying a 40 year old jeter 20 mill a year.

i didnt know talking about the topic was me getting off-topic. :eyebrow:
you just get mad and say oh but the mets did this or that"
this topic is about the yanks overpaying an aging SS.

Swishalicious
11-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Do you think the yankees wont sell out even reotely as close to the sae out of games w/o jeter as they would with him?
you are grossly over exaggerating his effect.

1 injury makes santana bad? hate less.
He managed a sub 3 ERA this year with his "lowered velocity"

krod got into a fight! omg no one could possibly do that EVER!!! hes human. so are you. so is everyone else.

Surely there are better options than overpaying a 40 year old jeter 20 mill a year.

i didnt know talking about the topic was me getting off-topic. :eyebrow:
you just get mad and say oh but the mets did this or that"
this topic is about the yanks overpaying an aging SS.

No, I really don't think they would if they failed to sign Jeter AND Lee. Think about it. No Cliff Lee = pissed of yankee fans. No Jeter = wtf kind of organization is this. you really dont understand business and you really dont know how much yankee fans care about Jeter.... probably cause you didnt have a player on your team that helped you win 5 championships in a short period of time.

I am NOT saying Santana hasn't BEEN a good pitcher, I am saying he is DECLINING. Its not an instant effect dude, but i think you are going to be disappointed if you expect the Santana of old for years to come, you will be sadly mistaken. Im not hating, I don't hate, I am being fair and realistic. You really think Santana is going to be his old self for the years to come? i dont. will he be quality? yes, but is he worth $20million, Halladay and Sabathia money? NO WAY!!

K-rod is an adult, its embarrassing that he is still getting into fights. Something tells me you aren't an adult because you think getting into fights is a normal thing.

cambovenzi
11-11-2010, 01:50 AM
No, I really don't think they would if they failed to sign Jeter AND Lee. Think about it. No Cliff Lee = pissed of yankee fans. No Jeter = wtf kind of organization is this. you really dont understand business and you really dont know how much yankee fans care about Jeter.... probably cause you didnt have a player on your team that helped you win 5 championships in a short period of time.
i do understand the business aspect, thats the point.
You want to overpay jeter based on nostalgia and past performances.
At the end of the day they should be trying to win games in the future and make moves that help them do that the best that they can.

I am NOT saying Santana hasn't BEEN a good pitcher, I am saying he is DECLINING. Its not an instant effect dude, but i think you are going to be disappointed if you expect the Santana of old for years to come, you will be sadly mistaken. Im not hating, I don't hate, I am being fair and realistic. You really think Santana is going to be his old self for the years to come? i dont. will he be quality? yes, but is he worth $20million, Halladay and Sabathia money? NO WAY!!
every player declines.
Santana is still a great pitcher tho, unlike jeter's 2010 season.

K-rod is an adult, its embarrassing that he is still getting into fights. Something tells me you aren't an adult because you think getting into fights is a normal thing.
I am an adult.
I realize that everyone has emotions and aren't always perfect.
Of course its not OK that he does something like that, but its understandable that its possible to happen without him being "crazy" or a nutcase, or whatever other names you were calling him.
You are thinking far too ideally where everyone is perfect and level headed all the time.

How is a 37-40 year old jeter worth 20 million dollars a season?
Please explain.

and dont say "ticket sales".
the yankees are going to practically sell out most games no matter what.
he simply isnt as good as he once was, and is not worth 20M.
They could probably resign him to a contract half that size.

Swishalicious
11-11-2010, 02:50 AM
i do understand the business aspect, thats the point.
You want to overpay jeter based on nostalgia and past performances.
At the end of the day they should be trying to win games in the future and make moves that help them do that the best that they can.

every player declines.
Santana is still a great pitcher tho, unlike jeter's 2010 season.

I am an adult.
I realize that everyone has emotions and aren't always perfect.
Of course its not OK that he does something like that, but its understandable that its possible to happen without him being "crazy" or a nutcase, or whatever other names you were calling him.
You are thinking far too ideally where everyone is perfect and level headed all the time.

oh noes he called me a punk :cry:

How is a 37-40 year old jeter worth 20 million dollars a season?
Please explain.

and dont say "ticket sales".
the yankees are going to practically sell out most games no matter what.
he simply isnt as good as he once was, and is not worth 20M.
They could probably resign him to a contract half that size.

Alright, let me get the random crap out of the way.

Santana is declining faster than you realize, just wait and see. Unless he can work with what he has, like Mussina had to do at the end of his career, Santana is in trouble (he never used to have some of the bad outings he had the last 3 years... overall he was dominant, but there were some games where he was hit real hard... just saying, wait and see, its going to happen in the next 3 years).

Its not understandable, its unacceptable. A real adult can lose his or her temper, but thank god we have laws that prevent flare ups and fighting to be illegal. I don't think people are always level headed, if anything there are too many headcases out there... im just saying that I have little tolerance for idiots fighting...K-rod isnt a Milton Bradley by any means, but he is a bit outrageous with his celebrations.... loved it when Castillo dropped the ball, haha, celebrated too early :) . But i digress. my main point is that k-rod is worthless if u cant get to him with a lead.

Its not business to pay Jeter for past success.... its business to keep fans happy with their organization, to keep things peachy on the surface. And YES he will sell tickets. You think everyone goes to baseball games because they enjoy baseball? I remember in the early 2000s, the whole "im gonna marry Jeter" posters from the women in the crowds and what not..... its all for fun. And what, i can't say sell tickets? Its not as much of a guarantee as you assume it is. As I stated before. If the yankee dont sign Lee, there will be a huge disappointment for fans (i think its irrational because i will personally be fine with it, I dont think we NEED him to win, but it will help) and then if the yanks dont sign Jeter too, it will be a total offseason disaster. And then watch, Pettitte retires....where is the core 4? Rivera and DHing Posada? YIKES!

Do I think he should be paid 20 million dollars a year? NO. Will he? Probably. Will the Yankees make a profit from signing Jeter? YES. Why? Ticket sales, merchandise, advertising, endorsements.

And you talk about "helping the yankees win" as if Jeter is going to be worthless. You have yet to tell me a better replacement the Yankees can go after.... please, enlighten me.

cambovenzi
11-11-2010, 02:59 AM
No matter how you want to spin it, they definitely will not make 20M a year in extra ticket sales and merchandise due to resigning jeter.

Do you know how many tickets and jerseys that is?

The MLB also has this little thing called revenue sharing.

His on field performance is nowhere near 20M, barring a magical return to career years when he is 37-40.

The Final Boss
11-11-2010, 03:18 AM
That stiff has been ripping off the Yankees for years. If there was a salary cap in baseball he probably wouldn't have been a Yankee for more than 6 seasons. Hands down the 2nd most overrated athlete of all time behind Jordan. Don't get me started on Jordan (not a racist but Jordan played when 46% of the league was Caucasian). Not sure what part of Asia Cauc is in but I'll save that for another thread.

DodgerB24
11-11-2010, 03:22 AM
That stiff has been ripping off the Yankees for years. If there was a salary cap in baseball he probably wouldn't have been a Yankee for more than 6 seasons. Hands down the 2nd most overrated athlete of all time behind Jordan. Don't get me started on Jordan (not a racist but Jordan played when 46% of the league was Caucasian). Not sure what part of Asia Cauc is in but I'll save that for another thread.

That's racist! :mad:

Seriously though I want to hear more about Jordan being the most overrated athlete of all time. Please carry on good sir..

Swishalicious
11-11-2010, 03:35 AM
No matter how you want to spin it, they definitely will not make 20M a year in extra ticket sales and merchandise due to resigning jeter.

His on field performance is nowhere near 20M, barring a magical return to career years when he is 37-40.

really? in the long run, I think keeping yankee fans happy and keeping sell outs for future years to come (an organization that treats their fans right by bringing back desired players). And youd be surprised how much $$ Jeter brings in my friend. A crappy ticket can easily cost $50 a game, parking is going to be $30 now that its been raised 50%, concessions are outrageous (fries are $8 alone), a jeter jersey is over $100, a jeter shirt (non jersey) is still about $30, and do you know how much Jeter means to people investing with the yankees in terms of advertisers? Advertisers LOVE jeter and in this day and age, when companies are hesitant to advertise, its nice to give them incentive. Now is this gonna be enough to pay $20 million a year, NEITHER OF US CAN PROVE THAT. But its possible and like i said, it will keep fans happy. Personally, id be okay with a 2-3 year for 20 million a year.

And he might not have your exaggerated "career years", but he can still perform at a high offensive level for a shortstop. Will he? Idk, maybe. Time will tell, no one can be sure.

Yeah, revenue sharing.... love that =D. Its silly, people whine about the yankees "buying" players..... ya know what, because fans PAY so much to to games (prices listed above thank you)..... we better get some quality players on that field. After they raised parking 50%, they better sign Cliff Lee and they better pay him big, otherwise im gonna be pissed about how much $$ is being pocketed

theslick1
11-11-2010, 04:15 AM

Why does it bother you so much that the Yankees are going to overpay Jeter?

It's ironic that a Mets fan is criticizing the Yankees front office when the Mets have the arguably the worst (and also ironically the highest paid) front office in all of baseball, responsible for a roster littered with the likes of Jason Bay, Oliver Perez, Luis Castillo, and a broken down Carlos Beltran.