PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Smith on "Inside the NBA" -- The PG need?

JordansBulls
11-08-2010, 02:29 PM
On Inside the NBA on 11/4 Kenny Smith went about by saying to distinguish between the best PG right now is difficult and he puts them in a category by saying it is based on need.

For instance,

He mentioned that if you have good scorers on your team then he would take someone like "Rajon Rondo"

If he needed a "sidekick" he would take someone like "Russell Westbrook"

If he needed veteran leadership he would take someone like "Chauncey Billups"

If he needed someone that was exciting and would make you forget about the past he would take someone like "Derrick Rose"

I'm not sure who else he mentioned after that, because my DVR was only timed for the time slot of the show.

If anyone else was around for that, do you remember whom else he mentioned?

29$JerZ
11-08-2010, 02:31 PM
He mentioed Steve Nash but I can't recall for what. May of had to do with endurance.
He also mentioned Kidd.

Ebbs
11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Honestly regardless of circumstance if I'm starting a team today and I have to pick a PG.

CP3
Rondo
Deron
Rose
Westbrook

Nash/ Kidd though both might be better for 1 season are to old.

Rego247
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
He mentioed Steve Nash but I can't recall for what. May of had to do with endurance.
He also mentioned Kidd.

yea he mentioned nash.

he said u pick nash if you want to establish a style of play. he can slow the pace down or up depending on what his team needs at the moment.

thats what i recall at least.

Stunner
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
He said CP3 for something and D-Will if u want a player that can do it all like play the PG and SG.

Cool007
11-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Kenny just basically said what they are on their respective teams. Nothing that we don't already know.

Rondo - if you have a good scorers around him.
Westbrook - if you need a good sidekick - if I already have a batman.
Billups/Kidd - if I need a vet leadership.
Rose/Wall - if I want Excitement, starting a new franchise to get the fans in the seats.

IMO, very basic response.

The reason he probably didn't mention CP3/Williams coz they are already 1 and 2 right now. There is no debate right now. The others you can debate.

I personally would go in this order.

CP3 (Best PG in the NBA)
Rose (Ready to surpass Deron this year)
Deron
Wall (he is so much like Rose)
Rondo (Great passer/Great intangibles)
Westbrook (rising up).

Nash/Kidd/Billups are almost done (in a year or two).

EYDI819
11-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Here you go, listen for yourself

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2010/11/07/20101107_zap.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

JordansBulls
11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Here you go, listen for yourself

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/top_plays/2010/11/07/20101107_zap.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Thanks bro.

EYDI819
11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
a PG if you have multiple scorers - Rajon Rondo (best in finding people)
a PG that is a robin, a trusty sidekick - Russell Westbrook (not the #1 option but a good #2)
a PG that gets the fan excited - Derrick Rose (makes you think your franchise is in the right direction)
a PG that will lead your team - Chauncey Billups & Jason Kidd (understands time management and team)
a PG than can attract free agents - Chris Paul (can be a #1 guy without taking 30 shots)
a PG that you want to establish your style of play - Steve Nash (run, slow it down Nash can do it)
a PG that can play alot of positions - Deron Williams (can dominate the game in multiple areas)

EYDI819
11-08-2010, 03:08 PM
the video is messing up... after you click that video, click the TNT OT on the side then after you get to that page, click this Top 5 of Inside the NBA: No. 3 hope this works

Sadds The Gr8
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
he said CP3 for attracting FA's.
D-Will for playing multiple positions.
and Nash for establishing a the tempo of an offense.

Sactown
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
All about Tyreke

JordansBulls
11-08-2010, 06:21 PM
a PG if you have multiple scorers - Rajon Rondo (best in finding people)
a PG that is a robin, a trusty sidekick - Russell Westbrook (not the #1 option but a good #2)
a PG that gets the fan excited - Derrick Rose (makes you think your franchise is in the right direction)
a PG that will lead your team - Chauncey Billups & Jason Kidd (understands time management and team)
a PG than can attract free agents - Chris Paul (can be a #1 guy without taking 30 shots)
a PG that you want to establish your style of play - Steve Nash (run, slow it down Nash can do it)
a PG that can play alot of positions - Deron Williams (can dominate the game in multiple areas)

Thanks man.

jimbobjarree
11-08-2010, 07:30 PM
it was the biggest cop out ever

stejay
11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Still, if I wanted a Steve Nash type controller, I would go for CP3 in this day. I think overall, I would go, if I was creating a team and needed a PG to Quarterback my team, it would be....

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook

In that order.

John Walls Era
11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
For me:

Chris Paul (I hate that I put him at number 1 since I like Deron way better)
Deron Williams
Rajon Rondo
John Wall (Potential)

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
That was some of the worst insight I have heard from a professional anylist. All he did was put the point guards in the exact position they are in. Let me do it for the power forwards.

If I want a muppet baby looking power forward with an accent, Im going with Pau Gasol.

If I want a deer in the head lights look on my superstars face, then I go with Tim Duncan.

Do I want a ginger? Blake Griffen where you at?

RuPaul look alike? Head down to Miami to grab Chris Bosh.

Potty mouth player who makes jokes about cancer, KG.

etc, etc,

checkit
11-09-2010, 01:50 AM
That was some of the worst insight I have heard from a professional anylist. All he did was put the point guards in the exact position they are in. Let me do it for the power forwards.

If I want a muppet baby looking power forward with an accent, Im going with Pau Gasol.

If I want a deer in the head lights look on my superstars face, then I go with Tim Duncan.

Do I want a ginger? Blake Griffen where you at?

RuPaul look alike? Head down to Miami to grab Chris Bosh.

Potty mouth player who makes jokes about cancer, KG.

etc, etc,

:laugh:

JordansBulls
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
it was the biggest cop out ever

Why is that?

anpmp
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Why is that?

I agree. Kenny's response was a cop-out. The question he was trying to answer was "Who is the best point guard in the NBA today?". His answer was "It is based on need".

To an extent, that answer is true. But he could have easily narrowed down the field to 2-3 point guards and then said it is based on need. Instead he named 10+ point guards in which some are definitely better than others, irrespective of need.

For example, he said he would go with Rondo if he has a team surrounded by good scorers. Why not go with Deron Williams or Chris Paul? Since we are not considering age, contract size/length in this discussion, if you had a chance to pair one of those guys with Pierce, Allen and Garnett, would you not do it? Is Rondo really the "best" point guard if the situation was a team surrounded by good scorers?

Similarly, is Westbrook the "best" point guard if you already have a "batman" in Kevin Durant? Would Deron Williams be a worse "Robin" than Westbrook? In my opinion, the team would be better with Deron instead of Westbrook.

Rivera
11-09-2010, 02:20 PM
that was horrible kenny smith he basically said what they are to their teams lol

i can go further

if u need a PG just to play PG for 2 BIG superstar players get Carlos Arroyo

if ur team is YOUNG runs up n down and scores alot get steph curry

if ur team needs a voice to run PG get Derick Fisher

if ur team looses the face of the franchise just get his college teammate - Jarret Jack

if ur team needs a character for PG get Baron Davis

if ur hopin for lighting in a bottle for a PG get Brandon Jennings

kenny smith is better than this

clehmun
11-09-2010, 03:07 PM
pretty much what everyone else said. cop out.

the question was who is the best PG in the league. then he goes to name the top 10 PG.
he makes it sound really presentable and good but they're just facts we already know.

it's like english class when i have to write 1500 words on a topic. 200 words are actually research, the rest 1300 are bull to make it look long and pretty.