PDA

View Full Version : Any Lakers Haters Been Converted?

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Growing up I had a huge respect for the Lakers, even though I was more of a Pistons fan. As I got older I became more of a fan of the game, and when the Laker's won three-straight with Shaq and Kobe, I was one of the many rolling my eyes and shouting every time they got a call.

And when they picked up Gasol for next to nothing, I was shaking my fist with all the other Lakers haters.

But over the last couple season, though I am still no Lakers fan, I'm no hater any more either. I love watching Gasol and Odom on the floor together, their interior passing is amazing, and Kobe, though still likely to take too many shots from time to time, really seems to have matured on the floor. His post game is as good as Jordan's was, and the defensive intensity of this team with guys like Artest and Barnes is just amazing.

I admit it. I love watching the Lakers. I am not a Lakers fan, I'm not going to be rooting for them to win over Boston, or the Spurs, but when they are on, and I have time, I'm going to be watching every game I can, because they are simply that much fun to watch.

Have any other Laker haters been converted?

Sly Guy
11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I've progressed from hating the lakers to tolerating them. Probably more out necessity than anything, I just don't want to see the heat win, which means I've gotta turn to teams like Boston or LA, teams I have traditionally despised simply because they're the only ones who stand a chance. The thing I hate about LA most is no longer Kobe, it's their home floor.....thing give me a headache with it's nasty bright colors.

ugafan
11-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't hate the Lakers, I hate their predominantly obnoxious fans. I love Kobe, despise the fans. The sense of entitlement that seemingly each and every one of them has makes me want to break their noses.

matthollabak
11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I just can't stand things like the Gasol trade....or even going back to the Glove, and Mailman signing there with Shaq and Kobe. I could understand as a fan how you could get behind it, and maybe I'm a bit skewed because of the teams I root for, but the Lakers do it like the Yankees, with free agents and highway robbery trades and aren't forced to draft well....or just have to look for role players. They can get virtually any FA they want because their history and/or well because it is LA, or somehow other team's best player/s are offered up as a sacrifice for some strange reason (Gasol). Really you don't need to have any front office savvy if people are gifting you MVP candidates and all star caliber players....plus they are flocking to you as soon as their contract is over with their current team. If LA has a weakness in their lineup someone will not sign an extension with their team just to go there.

That said I wouldn't say I hate them, but I dislike them for the same reason most people hate Miami this year....because they just bring in players either by free agency or trade, and never are forced to rebuild. You say LBJ and Bosh, I say Gasol, Odom, and Artest. Not the exact same thing, but in the same ball park.

Rentzias
11-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't hate the Lakers, I hate their predominantly obnoxious fans. I love Kobe, despise the fans. The sense of entitlement that seemingly each and every one of them has makes me want to break their noses.

I generally feel the same way, but it's not totally their fault. Laker fans are like that rich kid in your school who has no idea what being poor is. A lot of people measure true fandom in sticking by your team during extended bad seasons, and the Lakers were still able to rock this lineup in their worst (34 wins) season in the last 10 years: Kobe, Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, and all those bench scrubs I've grown to hate.

That said, you should stick with your team. There's no such thing as conversion.

BALLER71
11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
-I hate their fans on this site.

I honestly don't hate the team in general but I think people on this site have actually caused me to dislike Kobe Bryant because I find it pathetic that people still believe he is a better player than Lebron James.

That said I wouldn't say I hate them, but I dislike them for the same reason most people hate Miami this year....because they just bring in players either by free agency or trade, and never are forced to rebuild. You say LBJ and Bosh, I say Gasol, Odom, and Artest. Not the exact same thing, but in the same ball park.

Come on man. Are you saying Miami is never forced to rebuild? We have sucked for a majority of our history. For a point in time, the team I fell in love with, was lead by Eddie Jones. Eddie Jones and Brian Grant? Things changed when Wade came but we still had a terrible season where we had the worst record in the league. We have had to rebuild in the past.

Randomsportsfan
11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I am no longer a lakers hater. I am a huge cabs fan and I think they are the one team that can beat the heat in 7. I want them to knock the heat off their pedistool and show them how to win

matthollabak
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Come on man. Are you saying Miami is never forced to rebuild? We have sucked for a majority of our history. For a point in time, the team I fell in love with, was lead by Eddie Jones. Eddie Jones and Brian Grant? Things changed when Wade came but we still had a terrible season where we had the worst record in the league. We have had to rebuild in the past.

No I'm saying that what I see the Lakers doing year in and year out, is the same thing that everybody is in an uproar about with the Heat THIS YEAR. Wasn't saying the Heat never rebuild, was just using the Heat this year as an example of why I dislike the Lakers.....since the general consensus is that they are evil for getting LBJ and Bosh, I just don't see what LA does year in and year out much different from what the Heat did this year, and have been wondering why it is OK for LA and Boston to build that way but when Miami does it they are now horribly evil.

Sorry if it was unclear....

ManRam
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I actually used to be a Laker fan. I remember lying on the floor watching Laker games keeping track of the box scores when I was in like 4th and 5th grade. I loved them. This was the late 90s. They were always on TV, and at the time I was living in Boston and hated the Celtics for some reason. The Lakers were always on TV so I started following them. I won't lie, I loved Kobe. I had a pen-pal in third grade from Germany and we'd always talk about Kobe and Shaq.

Oh how times have changed ;)

I started spending more time back in Florida, and got into the Magic in my early teens and never looked back. I had always liked them, even before Shaq went to LA, but it was just impossible to ever see them play on TV when I moved up North.

I could explain how I got turned off to the Lakers, but I'll spare you that story. A lot of it did have to do with fans I e-met on message boards.

DerekRE_3
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I hate the team. I hate the fans.

Baller1
11-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Never. I ****ing hate the Lakers and I always will.

Heater4life
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I love the Lakers, I dislike Kobe (understatement).

JordansBulls
11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Most people when they first start liking a sport they jump on the bandwagon and pick the teams that are winning. Which is why you had a bunch of Lakers or Celtics fans in the 80's, Bulls fans in the 90's, Lakers fans in the 2000's. Or why in the 90's people loved the Cowboys or now the Patriots in the NFL or in Baseball the Yankees.

WadeCounty
11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I find it funny how people would complain about it being the Celtics and Lakers always being two of the teams in the finals but yet when there's a new team that has a chance that has only been to the finals once, everyone is actually rooting for the two teams that have been the villains for years(hypocrites). Instead of the heat appearing like heroes that have a chance against these villains they are looked as even a greater evil.

nickdymez
11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Most of you people sound like bitter losers. I never hated the bulls, yakees, spurs,etc. I respect winning teams. To say you hate a team because they win or you dont agree with the way their owners go about winning, just shows your teams and owners are trash.

mikantsass
11-08-2010, 11:46 AM
As a Celtic fan, my hatred for the Lakers is justified. However, as a Celtics fan I have a tremendous amount of respect them.

Rocco007
11-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I can undersand the disdain that a rivarly brings ie; Boston...

I can also understand the envy success spews to the competition...

and I even understand how polarizing Kobe has been over the years...

But as a Laker Fan the one thing I can hang my hat on when we're on the center stage...Is that we're a classy team...

We respect our opponents...
We're professional about our business...

Can't ask for much more than that when you're winning championships...

John Walls Era
11-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I ain't no bandwagoner. Look at my sig. All my teams ... suck

Silent
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I ain't no bandwagoner. Look at my sig. All my teams ... suck

:laugh2:

matthollabak
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Most of you people sound like bitter losers. I never hated the bulls, yakees, spurs,etc. I respect winning teams. To say you hate a team because they win or you dont agree with the way their owners go about winning, just shows your teams and owners are trash.

I have more or a problem with teams like the Yankees than the Lakers, but the Lakers do the same thing just to a lesser extent due to the salary cap.

I'm a fan of building a team to last and compete....not just getting the best free agent available. I will admit the Yankees are worse because they virtually can bust up their competition by offering say a free agent from TB or the Marlins about half the entire teams salary just to keep them away from the competition, which is slowly destroying baseball. You have teams like say TB this year that built for years only to have one shot at a championship then they crumble since there is no cap. The same kind of thing goes with the Lakers with the luxury tax. Last year they had to pay 21.42 million in tax (which is almost half the entire cap) and is also over 4 million more than the 2nd highest salaried team, the perspective is that LBJ and Bosh are making I believe 14.5 million this year, so they could pay a max contract plus almost 7 mil. While I applaud the owner for being willing to spend more to win....that shouldn't be the deciding factor on weather you win.

If they go to a hard cap like I have heard about you may see teams like the Lakers in trouble for a while since their ways of building a team will no longer be an option.

Ace33Bone
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I still do not like the Lakers so i wouldn't say I am converted but i must say they are winning in impressive fashion

Cap'nCrunch40
11-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Kobe bryant makes my junk jiggle!

tcav701
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I dont hate them, you have to respect what they have accomplished and the best front office in the NBA.

That being said, I will always root against them. Doesnt mean I hate them.

As far as converting, they have went from my least favorite team to my second least favorite this summer lol.

Sadds The Gr8
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I've hated the team and the fans for the last 3 years, but i've grown to respect them a little bit this year. this year the Heat definitely surpassed them as my most hated team. Still hate the Lakers tho too much bandwagon jumpers.

millerandco
11-08-2010, 01:27 PM
YES

in australia i regularly wrote (in my teens) to our nba magazine bashing the lakers especially kobe and shaq...now i have been converted

it was partly due to being a blazers fan and watching that game7....i still cant talk about it haha

KingsPhillies
11-08-2010, 01:35 PM
If someone had a loaded Desert Eagle .50 AE pushed against my temple, and said they would blow my head off unless I stopped hating the Lakers, they may as well pull the trigger. Basically, I'd rather die than lessen my hatred for the Lakers one iota.

Sactown
11-08-2010, 01:37 PM

We're Kings fans.. they just don't understand.. :facepalm:

albertc86
11-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I could explain how I got turned off to the Lakers, but I'll spare you that story. A lot of it did have to do with fans I e-met on message boards.

If fellow fans "turned" you off to the team then you weren't a true fan to begin with; that's pathetic.

La11
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I hated the Lakers because they were winning championships during Shaq and Kobe era and plus I always root for the underdogs. Also, when Kobe was always a me-me player filling in the stats didn't like him either. But, when Kobe changed and played more of a team game player I slowly started to like them (I'm a Raptors fan ) I just gained so much respect for Kobe because he is the closest resemblance to Michal Jordan and was trying to make his teammates better and respected the game after his scandal. Nowadays, I don't mind if they win it all the time and I am still not a Lakers fan. I just respect them!!

Mishmin
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
As a Celtic fan, my hatred for the Lakers is justified. However, as a Celtics fan I have a tremendous amount of respect them.

Ditto. But seriously ******* sasha vujacic.

levignjw
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I like anyone who beats Boston.

KingsPhillies
11-08-2010, 01:50 PM
But as a Laker Fan the one thing I can hang my hat on when we're on the center stage...Is that we're a classy team...

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with this. The championship teams in the early part of the last decade were not very classy, and did not show much respect for their opponents. Shaq was the main catalyst for that. That big, dumb bastard just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Phil Jackson can be prick sometimes too, you have to admit that. All in all, I guess the rings speak for themselves...but that doesn't make them classy.

heathonater
11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
ive never have or never will like the lakers franchise. the blazers playoff loss in 2000 to the lakers will always make me dislike the lakers. and i still cant get over the gasol trade, even though marc gasol has turned out to be a good nba center. however, i respect kobe alot because he conducts himself the right way.

J4KOP99
11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
For those of you who "hate" the fans as a whole... how would you like them to act differently? I don't understand what you guys want... Don't judge an entire fanbase off of about 10-15 people you talk to on the internet.

And for that matter, don't judge the fans just because of a few people you see posting in the NBA forum. Go into the Lakers forum and you will find a lot of intelligent, level-headed Lakers fans...

-Take into consideration that a lot of sports fans would not be considered "hardcore" fans like all of us who post on PSD. A lot of fans have a regular interest and in those cases, they usually like the better teams because they are on TV more and their merchandise is everywhere... There is a reason that the lakers, cowboys, patriots and so on are the favorite teams of many.

Slimsim
11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
People like the lakers even though they are going for a three peat and yet people hate Miami even though they didn't win anything yet.

I'm just curious to see when kobe retires will those laker fans still root for the lakers or move on to Kevin durant okc thunders until the next best thing comes

La11
11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
ive never have or never will like the lakers franchise. the blazers playoff loss in 2000 to the lakers will always make me dislike the lakers. and i still cant get over the gasol trade, even though marc gasol has turned out to be a good nba center. however, i respect kobe alot because he conducts himself the right way.

2x.

J4KOP99
11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
People like the lakers even though they are going for a three peat and yet people hate Miami even though they didn't win anything yet.

I'm just curious to see when kobe retires will those laker fans still root for the lakers or move on to Kevin durant okc thunders until the next best thing comes

I think for a lot of the Laker fans, it's about a whole lot more than just Kobe Bryant.

nickdymez
11-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Why do people constantly bring up the gasol trade as to why they hate the lakers? Were the lakers supposed to say " No, this trade isn't fair so we dont want it!!"

JordansBulls
11-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Lakers have always had a top 3 player every decade.

50's - Mikan
60's - West/Baylor
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic/Kareem
90's - Magic/Shaq
00's - Shaq/Kobe

So it is fair to say the Lakers will get a top 3 player once Kobe leaves as well. May take a good 3-4 years but it will happen.

nickdymez
11-08-2010, 02:57 PM

No buddy, laker fans just dont come and go as they please. We arent fans of players, we are fans of people that play for the lakers.

Gibby23
11-08-2010, 03:02 PM

The Lakers will always have one of the NBA's top players.

what54!?
11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
well there are A LOT of laker bandwagon fans, But their are a lot of true lakers fans too. Right now they have the best team in the NBA

Slimsim
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure most lakers fans today Cheer for the bulls back in the 90s during their Rein of terror. Not all but majority.

J4KOP99
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty sure most lakers fans today Cheer for the bulls back in the 90s during their Rein of terror. Not all but majority.

There is absolutely no way that is true. You believe the majority of current Lakers fans were Bulls fans during the 90's?

Do you know how many Lakers fans there are? and you're saying the majority of their fans weren't even their fans about 15-20 years ago?

nickdymez
11-08-2010, 03:22 PM
well there are A LOT of laker bandwagon fans, But their are a lot of true lakers fans too. Right now they have the best team in the NBA

This is funny coming from a heat fan

what54!?
11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
This is funny coming from a heat fanloooong before the big 3 and bandwagon fans came along ;)

nickdymez
11-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Im sorry buddy, we weren't cheering for the bulls. The lakers made the playoffs every year i been alive but two (im 30). So we are competitive every year. We dont have to many down years. And by looking at your sig, i see your your a Knicks fan. So i can understand you having this thought process seeing how every superstar that plays against the knicks gets cheered for more than your own players in msg.

Hellcrooner
11-08-2010, 03:32 PM

Lakers fans like me will go on ooting for them o matter whathpens, i kept on rooting 91 to 2000.

kobe fans will jump ship.

But the funny thing is that is likely that Durant will be the one going a Laker.

junion
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM
i was a lakers fan since i was 4 - when i had no choice.

when i was old enough to make my own choice, i chose to be a lakers fan - and that was during the van exel/ceballos years. that was pretty hard to explain to some friends that i was still a lakers fan.

but there's only one thing worse than bandwagon fans: bandwagon haters.

also one thing worse than obnoxious fans: the people who put all fans in one category.
there are a lot of bandwagon fan, obnoxious fans, and homers, but most haters leave out the fact that there are good and true fans (i like to consider myself one of them). a lot of these haters probably just see what's on tv - the celebrities in the first 7 rows. they don't see the "poor" people at home, and the lower/middle class fans who might get a ticket from work, and have to sit near the top. they might see the fans only viewable from tv - and those are the rich people.

the bandwagon fans, the fair weather fans, and the "you suck" crowd aren't the real fans.

but i think most fans of most teams became fans because 1. they were winning when they first got into the sport, 2. they're the home team, 3. they get a great player that makes their team exciting.
i think a bandwagon fan isn't necessarily someone who starts liking a team because they're good or something. i think the bandwagon fans is the fan that jumps around based on players and winning. i don't care how you started liking the team, but if you stick by the team from the first time you started liking them - you can be a true fan.

kArSoN RyDaH
11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
If fellow fans "turned" you off to the team then you weren't a true fan to begin with; that's pathetic.

x2

kArSoN RyDaH
11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Laker fan since birth, 1990. Never jumped on ship to the winning team. Im a Raider fan and a Dodgers Fan. LA, Cali. Some of you are horrible

Avenged
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
To be honest and without mentioning any names.. It seems like there are a lot of Kobe fans on here rather than Lakers fans itself.

Every fan base has their bad apples, but there are numerous Lakers fans in the Lakers forum who don't post in the NBA forum as much who are very rational.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM

50's - Mikan
60's - West/Baylor
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic/Kareem
90's - Magic/Shaq
00's - Shaq/Kobe

So it is fair to say the Lakers will get a top 3 player once Kobe leaves as well. May take a good 3-4 years but it will happen.

:clap::nod:

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I cant be a bandwagon jumper. I cheer for the Dodgers. We havn't won anything since I was 7 and I still buy season tickets. Just because someone cheers for the Lakers, does not make them a bandwagon jumper. Now, if they cheer for the Yankees, Lakers, and Patriots I might have to look into their motives.

Plus, look at my join date of PSD. I joined when Shaq was gone, Kobe wanted out and Smush Parker was out point guard. And I still proudly proclaimed my name of two sucky teams at the time, DODGERS&LAKERS

lorenz00
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
i never been a fan of lakers.. and hated em in 2000`s. but i always loved kobe on how he plays the game.. he`s really competitive. doesnt like losing and will give a full effort even if its imposible for em to win. i watch lakers game because of that guy.! amen to him!

bigtony989
11-08-2010, 04:29 PM
uh i hate the heat more then the lakers if that counts

tbone2171
11-08-2010, 04:38 PM

It's people like you that make it so easy for us to hate the Lakers.

Bruno
11-08-2010, 04:59 PM

That's not really fair. We hated the Jazz. They kicked our ***** in the late 90's, we wanted the Bulls to take them out! I was never pro- Bulls until the Finals, when the Lakers had already gotten the boot.

D1JM
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
no

macc
11-08-2010, 06:16 PM
You will see less and less Laker haters on this site. The newest team to hate on will be the Heat since they have all that talent. You will actually see people defending the Lakers now.

ManRam
11-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Did you read my post? I liked the Lakers when I was like 9 or 10. Of course I wasn't a "true fan" (whatever the hell that means). I explained why I liked them, then explained why I stopped liking them. Never once did I claim to be a "true fan".

But yeah. I'm pathetic...for stopping liking a team when I was still pre-pubescent, and then hating them once my brain started developing.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Only thing I hate about the Lakers are their fans.

After that, Lakers are just like most teams to me.

Hurricane H
11-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I just can't stand things like the Gasol trade....or even going back to the Glove, and Mailman signing there with Shaq and Kobe. I could understand as a fan how you could get behind it, and maybe I'm a bit skewed because of the teams I root for, but the Lakers do it like the Yankees, with free agents and highway robbery trades and aren't forced to draft well....or just have to look for role players. They can get virtually any FA they want because their history and/or well because it is LA, or somehow other team's best player/s are offered up as a sacrifice for some strange reason (Gasol). Really you don't need to have any front office savvy if people are gifting you MVP candidates and all star caliber players....plus they are flocking to you as soon as their contract is over with their current team. If LA has a weakness in their lineup someone will not sign an extension with their team just to go there.

First of all the Gasol trade. It takes two GM to make the trade happen. If someone is stupid enough to give us their best players for nothing. don't blame the Lakers for that.

Second, if players wants to come to the Lakers and sacrifice some money for it (ex Artest and Barnes) are you going to blame the Lakers for it. They want to come here because of a classy and winning team. The lakers worked hard to have that reputation. So don't cry about that.

Third, the lakers never force to rebuild? What do you think happened in the 90s? What do you think happened when we traded Shaq to Miami?

Klivlend
11-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Never. I ****ing hate the Lakers and I always will.

I can undersand the disdain that a rivarly brings ie; Boston...

I can also understand the envy success spews to the competition...

and I even understand how polarizing Kobe has been over the years...

Can't ask for much more than that when you're winning championships...

Why to you type in bold purple font, guy? Your opinion is not more important than others. You are one of the fans that causes people to dislike the Lakers.

50's - Mikan
60's - West/Baylor
70's - Kareem
80's - Magic/Kareem
90's - Magic/Shaq
00's - Shaq/Kobe

Interesting point

no

+1

nickdymez
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
The guy typing in purple font makes u dislike the lakers? Ok, you must be a raptors fan

Klivlend
11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
The guy typing in purple font makes u dislike the lakers? Ok, you must be a raptors fan

Yup...My name is Cleveland and I live in Seattle...total Raptors fan

Hawkeye15
11-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I could honestly never root for the Lakers. But I respect them as a great team and franchise.

RaiderLakersA's
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
So many sweeping generalizations about the Lakers and their fanbase. I'm not surprised.
But before any of you get too carried away, every fanbase has it's fair share of obnoxious fans. Try to be more diplomatic about your comments.

And as for that theory that "most Laker fans are bandwagoners," please note the first and last teams mentioned in my forum name. I've been fortunate that the Lakers have been as successful as they have been, but please don't tell me that I don't know anything about hard times, rebuilding years, bad press, bad ownership, generally all around bad luck, or having my teams scorned, ridiculed and avoided like the plague as a sports fans. I could show you bottom-dwelling grief and futility that you can only imagine in your worst nightmares!

Giants-49ers-Ws
11-08-2010, 10:01 PM
i will definitely root for the lakers over the heat

PLAYERS FAN
11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm more of a Kobe fan, than a lakers fan! I personally don't like a lot of lakers fans, because I witness too many bandwagon fan's that left during the Shaq trade. These same people are back now because things are good now.

Kinglorious
11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes, I can truthfully tell you that I have "partially" become a fan of the Lakers. It's funny that this is a thread, because the other day I was asking my self: "Why the *HELL* do I kinda like the Lakers now?" :confused:

To clear this up, I'm not a bandwagon fan. I love my Raptors above all other teams. :sad2: (one day we'll be good, :pray: for us...?) However, I'm a fan of the NBA as a whole. So when I see that L.A. has a game I can watch on TV, I'll watch - 'cause their the best of the best. They are a REALLY solid team, and I never expect them to lose when I watch, especially when their at the Staples.

But dammit, I wish my Raptors beat them the other night.

RapOZo
11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Remember after shaq era??
Kobe and lamar went 3 very long seasons struggling with support from guys like
smush parker
kwame brown
chucky atkins
brian cook
caron butler
chris mihn
brian grant
devean george
kareem rush
and some other bull*** players
they signed a "never seem healthy" bynum as a Rookie
and after 3 years of being a very zhitty team they pulled off the Gasol trade out of a memphis team that never went nowhere with such a very talented player, they didnt "steal" anything from memphis, because Memphis had Gasol for several years but they still never won, so Giving up Gasol for another Gasol is not even a sacrifice but just a "let's try some other way" situation that the lakers took advantage of.
its not their fault nor some kind of conspiracy when a team has an excellent recruiting/trades history.
I wouldn't compare Lakers to the Yankees signing attractive checks policies in order to have greater chances of winning. in my opinion Lakers is more legit

_KB24_
11-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Been a Lakers fan since 87 when I was a little kid. I was born and bred in LA and love everything about my city. Been through the hells of watching my beloved Raiders brought to me and taken away just as fast, and still root for them to the fullest just because what they meant to LA. The Lakers are the definition of Los Angeles. We will always be on top and people love to hate us. I honestly love that. never will forget the summer of 2001 in Philly. A girl came up to me and slapped me for wearing my Lakers blazer at the airport :laugh2:

ink
11-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Growing up I had a huge respect for the Lakers, even though I was more of a Pistons fan. As I got older I became more of a fan of the game, and when the Laker's won three-straight with Shaq and Kobe, I was one of the many rolling my eyes and shouting every time they got a call.

And when they picked up Gasol for next to nothing, I was shaking my fist with all the other Lakers haters.

But over the last couple season, though I am still no Lakers fan, I'm no hater any more either. I love watching Gasol and Odom on the floor together, their interior passing is amazing, and Kobe, though still likely to take too many shots from time to time, really seems to have matured on the floor. His post game is as good as Jordan's was, and the defensive intensity of this team with guys like Artest and Barnes is just amazing.

I admit it. I love watching the Lakers. I am not a Lakers fan, I'm not going to be rooting for them to win over Boston, or the Spurs, but when they are on, and I have time, I'm going to be watching every game I can, because they are simply that much fun to watch.

Have any other Laker haters been converted?

I'm with you. I grew up loving the Lakers as a kid, watching Magic and Kareem. I still think of that as the best team ever, including the MJ Bulls. They were better balanced and overall more spectacular. It was beautiful basketball. I have never been a Shaq fan, hated the way he dominated the game with bulk and brute force, and wasn't ever really a Kobe fan. But in the last few years, I can start to see some of the great Lakers tradition coming back. For me the Lakers have become a great team to watch again and I enjoy every game I see. When I travelled to LA a couple of years ago, I got comp tickets through work (on a shoot covering the Adidas Invitational in Carson) and I saw the Lakers beat the Jazz in the first round of the playoffs. One of the best games I've seen in a long time. Great franchise, great players, amazing ability to maintain a tradition of winning ball. I wasn't a hater, but I was definitely reconverted. :D

Raph12
11-09-2010, 01:33 AM
I have always been a huge Kobe fan, didn't care for the Lakers but it's hard not to respect them.

checkit
11-09-2010, 01:46 AM
nope, and I am from LA...never liked them when I lived there...definitely don't like them now.

matthollabak
11-09-2010, 08:17 AM
First of all the Gasol trade. It takes two GM to make the trade happen. If someone is stupid enough to give us their best players for nothing. don't blame the Lakers for that.

Second, if players wants to come to the Lakers and sacrifice some money for it (ex Artest and Barnes) are you going to blame the Lakers for it. They want to come here because of a classy and winning team. The lakers worked hard to have that reputation. So don't cry about that.

Third, the lakers never force to rebuild? What do you think happened in the 90s? What do you think happened when we traded Shaq to Miami?

Yes it does take 2 GM's to trade.....but don't you think that a 5 player at his position should draw more? When opposing coaches and owners are calling for a trade committee there is something wrong....especially when one GM has worked for both teams? I'm not sure why they get deals like that just pointing out that for whatever reason they do. Yes Marc Gasol turned out pretty good but 2 guaranteed late 1st round picks a 2nd rounder that nobody was sure was ready for the NBA and some salary dump seems like a bit of a lopsided deal for someone who was making the Griz relevant. Good thing for the Griz that Marc turned out well if not then that would be one of the worst deals in history.

What did the Lakers work hard for? Being in a heavily populated and popular enough area to attract Kareem because Milwaukee didn't "suit his cultural needs".....The Lakers are one of the few winners of the location and population lottery which has nothing to do with hard work. I'm using Kareem since he gave pretty much 2 destinations of LA or NY to be traded to. I could have just as easily used Wilt as well.

The Lakers have a huge history of preying on teams in financial trouble and taking over in trades when the location doesn't fit the players in say the midwest and signing the biggest names in Free Agency to cover up for drafting poorly, which is a strategy I guess....but other than Kobe (drafted by Charlotte) and Fisher (both 1996 class) and I guess you could consider Bynum on potential (how long can we still do that) being decent, name another player drafted by the Lakers to start on their own merit and not an injury? After 1996 they have barely even gotten any role players out of the draft....Turiaf was pretty good and Vujachic gets a few minutes, and Walton has staying power I guess. In 14 years how do you not accidentally have a good draft or two? If they go to a hard cap it will be a horrible transition for them due to the team needing to be completely restructured from top to bottom to account for the new philosophy they must take.....that is unless Stern decides they should get grandfathered in.

I'm not really crying on anything, I'm just explaining my reasons for disliking the Lakers, rather than just saying I don't like them, it is because I don't agree with their entire process, I think teams should be forced to draft well at least occasionally.....That being said you never touched the Salary Cap and a half that the Lakers are paying....meaning that players are not going to the Lakers taking a salary cut, nope they just pay double for them in luxury tax. Which as I said I applaud the owner for being willing to do, so really that is an issue I have with the league more than the Lakers.....but again if they go to a hard cap I hope you enjoyed the run because 20+ mil (equal to roughly Lebron's contract plus Artests give or take a couple hundred k) will have to be cut before the next season is played (maybe next or maybe in 2 years if they strike) unless they make an exemption for them, which I don't think they did when they brought in the Luxury tax other than allowing teams to cut to be under it.