PDA

View Full Version : NBA Basketball returning to Seattle in the near future?

Nowakm33
11-08-2010, 12:26 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoftpri0/2013359173_steveballmerselling2binmicrosoftstock.h tml

Steve Ballmer, A Microsoft Chief Executive is selling his shares of the company Microsoft raking in 1.3 billion. By the end of the year he will have another part of his share for 700 million. Amid the transaction, speculation has arised and some believe Steve Ballmer's plan is to buy the Sacramento Kings and bring them to the Emerald City. The Maloof Brothers (owners of the Kings) have clearly shown their desire to move the team due to an expiring lease on Arco arena and the looming question regarding where the team will play. Ballmer could also fund a renovation of KeyArena in Seattle or could quite possibly fund a new arena.

On behalf of those who felt betrayed by Clay Bennett, Howard Schultz, and David Stern, I hope Steve Ballmer gets this done. I'm curious to see how these rumors pan out and hope to see some news regarding this soon

DISCUSS

BETTER ARTICLE: http://sonicscentral.com/blog/?p=2943

SugeKnight
11-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Pleease

Baller1
11-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Please... please Steve Balmer.

GunFactor187
11-08-2010, 12:35 AM
He should do this in the locker room to pump up the players every game if he becomes the new owner of the Kings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

Hellcrooner
11-08-2010, 12:36 AM
NiO,
kings are a classic not to mention former champs.

Wht do they do calle them sonics again and say they have TWO rings? mix the retired numbers?

no thaks

Wilson
11-08-2010, 12:39 AM
NiO,
kings are a classic not to mention former champs.

Wht do they do calle them sonics again and say they have TWO rings? mix the retired numbers?

no thaks

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. If we move the Kings to Seattle it just continues the cycle of fans getting screwed over.

Wade>You
11-08-2010, 12:41 AM
2 billion. Wow.

Hellcrooner
11-08-2010, 12:42 AM
nfal has 32 teams.

Just giv e them a franchise and thats it.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-08-2010, 12:42 AM
California has 4 teams and they are all like less than 2 hours apart.

Do we really need that?

If anything, move the Kings to LA and Clippers to Seattle.

DerekRE_3
11-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Great, lose a team and then just steal someone else's.

MJ-BULLS
11-08-2010, 12:48 AM
id love to see a nba team in Seattle, but you lose the kings from sac town.

Nowakm33
11-08-2010, 12:53 AM
One could argue that bringing the Sacramento Kings to Seattle would not be considered "stealing" the team but rather a "business transaction". So many positive results will come with the Kings moving to Seattle. The way Clay Bennett bought the Sonics and moved them was clearly a team that was "stolen". Bennett himself said he had no plans to move the team to OKC, but being the person he is, he went back on his word.

Wade>You
11-08-2010, 01:15 AM

Do we really need that?

If anything, move the Kings to LA and Clippers to Seattle.This.

D1JM
11-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Well the city doesn't want to fundd a stadium

KingsAndNiners
11-08-2010, 01:27 AM

Do we really need that?

Lmao, the Kings and Warriors are about 2 hours apart. The distance from Sacramento to LA is like 7,8 hours tho bud.

NaccAttack11
11-08-2010, 01:52 AM
So old Sonics fans lose Kevin Durant?

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-08-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm sure the Maloof brothers can manage to keep the Kings in Sacramento. What Ballmer needs to do is take the Clippers off of Donald Sterling's poisonous hands and take them to Seattle. Blake Griffin would become the crown jewel of the Emerald City and not overlooked like he will be in LA because of Kobe and the Lakers franchise as a whole.

spreadeagle
11-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Does anyone find it ironic how the Sonics fans freaked when there team got taken and now they want to take Sacramento's team....:eyebrow:

ink
11-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. If we move the Kings to Seattle it just continues the cycle of fans getting screwed over.

I agree. Moving the Kings would be as bad as moving the Sonics was in the first place. They never should have been stolen from Seattle the way they were.

But I'd be all for a team back in Seattle. Great city.

jimbobjarree
11-08-2010, 04:43 AM
I'm all for Seattle getting another team, but not at the expense of Sacramento and their exciting young Kings team

Blazers#1Fan
11-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Does anyone find it ironic how the Sonics fans freaked when there team got taken and now they want to take Sacramento's team....:eyebrow:

no they dont! i live in seattle and i think the kings should stay were they are but i also just moved here from Portland

but i think the clippers need to move to Seattle and the kings need to stay put honestly tell me whats the point in moving a team to a place that already has a team like the nets moving to brooklyn why move there when the knicks are NYC team they might as well move somewhere else and why keep clippers in LA when they have the lakers and share the arena move the clippers to SEA if anything move the kings to vegas and move the clippers to seattle that would make the nba more fun to have teams everywhere and the Sonics would be back over here!

Blazers#1Fan
11-08-2010, 05:05 AM
So old Sonics fans lose Kevin Durant?

wont matter if seattle gets Blake Griffin or gets Tyreke Evans which are 2 future nba stars

ZebraCity916
11-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Don't take our team. Take the Clippers. LA is Laker territory, not Clipper territory. There's only room for one team in that city and it's the Lakers.

John Walls Era
11-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Give them the Clippers to make them feel better... then again maybe not.

tmacsc2
11-08-2010, 06:25 AM

They wouldnt be "taking" anyones team, dont get mad at seattle if they buy the kings and take em to seattle, the maloof brothers are they ones you all should be mad at, they wanna move the kings.....seattle is just looking to have an NBA team again!

DenButsu
11-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I sure as hell hope so.

Mochalman
11-08-2010, 07:48 AM
rather see vancouver get a team

bigsams50
11-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Take the Clips, leave the Kings

thescore53
11-08-2010, 08:24 AM

u wont be a thunder fan anymore ?

SouthSideRookie
11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I agree. Moving the Kings would be as bad as moving the Sonics was in the first place. They never should have been stolen from Seattle the way they were.

But I'd be all for a team back in Seattle. Great city.

I agree. I don't care what people say about the crowds of Oklahoma City but there's no comparison to the crowds of the Old Key Arena, those crowds were insane.

Baller1
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
u wont be a thunder fan anymore ?

I legitimately think I would have two teams... but I don't know. It will be the toughest, most awkward situation for me to possibly experience sports-wise. If it happens, we'll see what I do.

It really will be a weird situation for me.

Hunter48MVP
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
The Clippers should move to Seattle. We only need one basketball team in LA.

Hellcrooner
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
i wonder why peopel is so eager to move the clippers.

theyve been tehre since 1984 , so theres a lo of peope in l.a....well maybe not a lot but theres a good number of people for wich it is THEIR team for awatever reason.
They dont sdeserve to be moved.

Again just give them an expeansion team in seattle, another to vegas and close the league with 32 wich is hte number the other leages have.

if you dont want to do tht stern should not mess with old franchises but the newest.

specially hey shoudl simply punish the robers and take durant back to seattle.

braveniler58
11-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I agree with the idea of Seattle having a team once again, but not via relocation. If anything, the team relocating probably should be the Clippers -- gives them a chance to get out of the Lakers' shadow, establish their own fanbase, and hopefully break the Clipper Curse.

I'd argue for an expansion, but then again, that'll just make everyone slightly weaker. Not productive. 30 teams is enough...

Rivera
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm sure the Maloof brothers can manage to keep the Kings in Sacramento. What Ballmer needs to do is take the Clippers off of Donald Sterling's poisonous hands and take them to Seattle. Blake Griffin would become the crown jewel of the Emerald City and not overlooked like he will be in LA because of Kobe and the Lakers franchise as a whole.

im sure the maloof brothers can manage to keeep the kings in sacramento

but if it makes business sense then y do it??

if the lease is expiring at arco arena and its gonna cost x million dollars to keep the lease and renovate or if the maloofs build a new stadium from what im understanding (i could be wrong) the people of sacramento does not want a new stadium or will have very limited revenue for the stadium meaning the maloofs will have to pick up the tab on the majority of the cost for the new stadium which would also be x million dollars

so why not instead of spending X million dollars gain X million dollars by selling a team with an expiring lease theirfor the maloofs got their number of years running an NBA franchise and gaining profit and leave with a profit

it makes business sense if the maloofs choose to do that

i rather have the team moved to seattle then to las vegas (which is another rumored destination) anyway

srfr4life
11-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Even though I'm a die hard MAGIC fan (born and raised in Orlando), I now live just outside of Seattle, working at Microsoft ironically. I see Ballmer more than most employees here cause of the building I work at.

Think of the team Seattle would have had if that a-hole didn't move the team. I'd be able to see the MAGIC twice a year (1 game in Portland too). Most of all, I'd quit this job to go work Supersonic games (broadcasting).

This would be a wonderful thing to say about Ballmer in my eyes!!!

KingsPhillies
11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Gavin Maloof on his love for his team, and the idea of selling:

"It's the reason for our existence, for my existence...If you take the team from me, you might as well bury me six feet under! I would never sell. I might sell a percentage but would never give up controlling interest. We want to leave the team to our nephews."

That quote is from this summer, but I doubt such strong feelings about selling the team would change over just a few months. Whether or not the team will move remains to be seen(I still don't think Sacramento will let the Kings go when all is said and done), but there is no point in discussing the Maloofs selling the team. It won't happen. Apparently they'd rather die. And before anyone takes that quote and runs with it, selling a percentage is not the same as actually selling the team.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/24/2911906/maloofs-qa-on-the-kings-ticket.html#ixzz14iQEDVdA

D1JM
11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
if you move the clippers, than i wont be able to afford games to see my bulls play in LA. The same seats I got for the bulls-clippers cost about 700 dollars more for the bulls-lakers

thescore53
11-08-2010, 05:34 PM
i wonder why peopel is so eager to move the clippers.

theyve been tehre since 1984 , so theres a lo of peope in l.a....well maybe not a lot but theres a good number of people for wich it is THEIR team for awatever reason.
They dont sdeserve to be moved.

Again just give them an expeansion team in seattle, another to vegas and close the league with 32 wich is hte number the other leages have.

if you dont want to do tht stern should not mess with old franchises but the newest.

specially hey shoudl simply punish the robers and take durant back to seattle.

this isnt a fairytale. no one cares about history. the nba is a cruel buisness.

i'm gonna explain something. stern said those in risk of relocation/contracting are those teams who are trying to be sold but cannot find a buyer. that team has to be in dire financial issues. cause theres no way a owner is gonna give up a team cause stern said so.

Kinglorious
11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah, you gotta feel bad for the good the people in Seattle. Look at the team OKC has got now - that was Seattle's team! That was theirs! ---Excuse me...

But in all seriousness, this would be a great for the NBA. Seattle had been apart of the NBA since 1967 until 2008. 41 years of NBA seniority = They deserve to get a team before any other city.

But I'm curious. I know it's in the back of Stern's head and all, but what about all these rumors of taking teams out of the league? Or merging them because there not financially viable or something? Do they really want to expand, because if they would, I'd think they would have to add another team to the East, 32 teams... maybe 4 divisions of 4 teams? 16 in the playoffs, 16 not. Just a thought.

If none of that, I guess they'd have to relocate a team. I'd say the Clippers would be the best bet, but that's not fair to their fans. But they need their own city, and that is fair.

Punkindrublic03
11-08-2010, 09:20 PM
the only way this happens is if balmer is willing to blow 200+ million himself on a new arena or renovation of key arena.

Dude has the money... and if he stepped up and paid for the new arena and new team out of his pocket.. wow. just wow.

but this is all speculation. Personally i dont believe the NBA will ever return to Seattle.

but this is a reason to hope. :pray:

Baller1
11-08-2010, 11:33 PM
the only way this happens is if balmer is willing to blow 200+ million himself on a new arena or renovation of key arena.

Dude has the money... and if he stepped up and paid for the new arena and new team out of his pocket.. wow. just wow.

but this is all speculation. Personally i dont believe the NBA will ever return to Seattle.

but this is a reason to hope. :pray:

I'll never lose hope.

Nowakm33
11-08-2010, 11:54 PM
I hope thats a possibility because Blake Griffin is amazing! He would rejuvenate the Sonics fans with exciting plays. He might not be Kevin Durant, but the sky is the limit for him.

what54!?
11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
move the clippers up there. No one really gets screwed over (well the clippers fans do but come on, LA will always be the Lakers city)

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
It just doesn't seem right that Seattle doesn't have an NBA team. Its one of the biggest cities in this country and they deserve to have a pro team for at least all the 3 major sports people watch here.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
move the clippers up there. No one really gets screwed over (well the clippers fans do but come, LA will always be the Lakers city)

And their fans can easily convert to Lakers fans without being called bandwagoners.

Blazers#1Fan
11-09-2010, 12:04 AM
And their fans can easily convert to Lakers fans without being called bandwagoners.

wait....... they have fans hahaaa just kidding all 450 of you guys...hahahaaa jp

BuddhaMONK
11-09-2010, 12:09 AM
******* that move them to Vancouver, they never had a fair chance horrible ownership i mean their franchise player was big country what a joke. There's no place that's been robbed worse then Vancouver and the fans were stronger there even in their last season without a tv contract then some of the teams in the league today (nets, kings, grizzles). I mean what a joke how do you move a franchise that has never won over 23 games, give them a fair chance they would have sold out the place if they had a .500 record and a respectable owner. Then seattle can have thier team back. Also, what's with stern wanting to expand to europe, put a team in seattle, st. louis, vancouver, and montreal first (all four of those cities have a metro population of 2.8 million +)

foonaka
11-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Lmao, the Kings and Warriors are about 2 hours apart. The distance from Sacramento to LA is like 7,8 hours tho bud.

I was gonna say the same thing. Phoenix is closer to L.A. than Sacramento is.

avrpatsfan
11-09-2010, 12:13 AM
OK there are 4 teams in Cali relatively close to each other. Why can't they spare just 1? If any team in Cali gets moved it should be the Clippers. 2 teams in 1 stadium is ridiculous. If you were a Clippers fan just become a Lakers fan. Seattle deserves a team and I think they are going to get one.

topdog
11-09-2010, 12:16 AM
I actually like the idea. I know I said I was against taking the Clippers away (and still am) but this is different. Sacto is a small town in a state with several NBA teams and the Kings aren't indigenous either. LA is the 2nd largest city in the country and provides one of those interesting 1-city, 2-team situations ala the Yankees-Mets and Cubs-Sox.

If this did actually happen (big IF), I think they should go the way of "Golden State" and be the "Emerald City Kings." Just a thought lol

KingsMadness44
11-09-2010, 12:27 AM
^^ to put this simply. NO. the reasoning behind your arguement is not very good and heres why. first of its 2 different sports and second of all.....all of those teams have there own stadiums. the clippers do not.

why would you want to take the only sports team that we have away from us(obviously im from sacramento) we love our Kings and we have one of the best fanbases in the league even though last year our attendance was down but whose wasnt in this economy. And why not give the clippers a shot to have a solid fan base? becuase im pretty sure the people of LA would not be upset if the clippers moved. just saying

LEAVE MY KINGS ALONE

BuddhaMONK
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
^^ to put this simply. NO. the reasoning behind your arguement is not very good and heres why. first of its 2 different sports and second of all.....all of those teams have there own stadiums. the clippers do not.

why would you want to take the only sports team that we have away from us(obviously im from sacramento) we love our Kings and we have one of the best fanbases in the league even though last year our attendance was down but whose wasnt in this economy. And why not give the clippers a shot to have a solid fan base? becuase im pretty sure the people of LA would not be upset if the clippers moved. just saying

LEAVE MY KINGS ALONE

yea i actually have to agree with this guy I used to live in Vancouver and we got our team stolen from us for a similar reason. Our attendance was never as bad as Sacremento, but we also had poor attendences in a couple season (14,000) due to the fact that we never had a good team to cheer for. The real team that needs to go is memphis grizzles they had a record of 50-32 one season and only averaged 15,188 fans per game (that franchise has been run like **** right from the get go they should contract it).

iliketurtles24
11-09-2010, 12:50 AM
move the clippers to seattle,

Boozerguy47
11-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I'll accept the NBA back in Seattle. Then I'll go watch them stomp the Thunder.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-09-2010, 03:01 AM
******* that move them to Vancouver, they never had a fair chance horrible ownership i mean their franchise player was big country what a joke. There's no place that's been robbed worse then Vancouver and the fans were stronger there even in their last season without a tv contract then some of the teams in the league today (nets, kings, grizzles). I mean what a joke how do you move a franchise that has never won over 23 games, give them a fair chance they would have sold out the place if they had a .500 record and a respectable owner. Then seattle can have thier team back. Also, what's with stern wanting to expand to europe, put a team in seattle, st. louis, vancouver, and montreal first (all four of those cities have a metro population of 2.8 million +)

Stern is the biggest douche the NBA has ever employed. What the hell made him even think of that idea...ya lets put teams in London, Madrid, Berlin and think that traveling to and from road games to the US for those teams will be no big deal and there won't be any competitive disadvantages.

That idea deserves a big :facepalm:

D1JM
11-09-2010, 03:05 AM

LEAVE MY KINGS ALONE

More people go to clipper games than they do kings games.

Bulls_fan90
11-09-2010, 03:25 AM
They should move the Heat to Seattle.

Trouble87
11-09-2010, 03:36 AM
The Kings becoming the Sonics would suck

I'm all for the Sonics getting their team back but I like the Kings

Fireworld
11-09-2010, 05:15 AM
The Seattle Super Kings? No thanx.

Punkindrublic03
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
The Kings will re-locate but it wont be to Seattle.

Mplsman
11-09-2010, 02:12 PM
This would only be right after taking away durant and the gang.

pd1dish
11-09-2010, 02:21 PM
nfal has 32 teams.

Just giv e them a franchise and thats it.

the nba conferences are broken down into 3 divisions. each division has 5 teams, 15 teams in each conference, giving us 30 teams. if you add 2 more teams, then you have to redo all of the divisions. you would have to add a division and have each conference broken down into 4 divisions with only 4 teams in each division. that'd be by far the worst move the nba could make. they need to stick to 30 teams. if the owners want to change cities, then they have the right to do that. if the market in seattle is bigger than the one in sacramento and they can make more money and maybe draw in better players, then it would be a smart decision on their part whether the fans like it or not.

tbone2171
11-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Do we really need that?

So play musical chairs with these franchises..Yeah great idea :rolleyes:

Usher8701
11-09-2010, 02:41 PM
since the sonic left the nba its haven't been the same.

KingsMadness44
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
More people go to clipper games than they do kings games.

Are you talking about the past 3 seasons or overall because if your talking about overall then your pretty dumb considering the kings had the best attendance for almost 5-6 years

WolvesJagsOs
11-09-2010, 07:03 PM

would you still root for the Thunder?

IversonIsKrazy
11-09-2010, 08:09 PM
C'mon VANCOUVER! BRING ANOTHER BASKETBALL FRANCHISE HOME

shen
11-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Seattle needs team, however it will come at some other city's expense. League is not going to expand when talking about removing teams.

Also the NBA badly needs to be realigned. At the very least rename divisions.

BuddhaMONK
11-09-2010, 08:20 PM
C'mon VANCOUVER! BRING ANOTHER BASKETBALL FRANCHISE HOME

Yea that's what i'm talking about, BTW where's big L on your top rapper list he's better than everyone on that list.

49erGiantLaker
11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Hope not. I live in Sacramento. They need the Kings.

faze38
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
How about he just buys te Clippers and moves them to Seattle I mean does LA really need two teams!

letsgobrownies7
11-10-2010, 12:03 AM
I hope Seattle gets another team and they are the Sonics again. The Sonics were always my 2nd fav team and it was sad to see them go when they left. I think Stern should give them a expansion team so no one gets screwed out of a team.