PDA

View Full Version : Will a woman ever be a head coach in the NBA?

spreadeagle
11-07-2010, 04:04 AM
Was reading this and it had me thinking,Will a women ever Coach in the NBA..maybe an assistant coach?

Lieberman, the Hall of Famer whom Dallas Mavericks guard Jason Terry calls the "Michael Jordan of women's basketball,'' was named last November as the first woman to coach in the NBA D-League. Last May, the Texas Legends boss was made to feel rather legendary when she visited the White House in honor of Jewish American Heritage Month.

Count Legends general manager Del Harris, a longtime NBA coach, as one who admires Lieberman's work ethic.

"I've known her since she started playing (for the Dallas Diamonds),'' Harris said. "She's knowledgeable, hard working, organized. Everything you need to be a successful coach. ... She's never satisfied. She's gone all over the country, actually on her own dime, talking to coaches of every level, but particularly to several NBA coaches to get their suggestions.'' http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/11/05/the-first-lady-of-hoops-nancy-lieberman-prepares-for-d-league-s/

Hellcrooner
11-07-2010, 04:10 AM
maybe in 100 years.

The actual question is how long till a Foreign Coach is picked.

Baller1
11-07-2010, 04:11 AM
I highly doubt it. There's no way a woman could keep the egos and aggression of men under control. I don't mean that in a sexist manner whatsoever, just the truth.

xabial
11-07-2010, 04:23 AM
I Dont think i'l be alive when that day happens.

spreadeagle
11-07-2010, 04:30 AM
I highly doubt it. There's no way a woman could keep the egos and aggression of men under control. I don't mean that in a sexist manner whatsoever, just the truth.

Cheryl Miller could do it "if anyone could"...would any players doubt her knowledge of the game

29$JerZ
11-07-2010, 04:41 AM
It comes down to a sex thing, sad but true.
Handling ego's of men for a women is different than a man and will be viewed differently because of opposite genders.

I highly doubt a Woman will get a NBA coaching gig anytime soon.

tredigs
11-07-2010, 05:07 AM
I've played 4 sports throughout my life; some through high school and one through college and even into the "professional" (paid cents on the dollar compared to the majors) realm for a bit. Not once have I had a woman coach me. There is definitely some that could - at a professional level of any sport - for sure, but I really just don't see it happening at any time soon. Fact of the matter is that the stigma is a little too sharp at this point for the elite few women who could coach at that level, to actually carry it out.

From my perspective though - if a woman was smart enough, tough enough and motivated enough to handle one of my teams programs, I'd have zero problems with that happening. But, to be perfectly honest that's just much more suited for the men to handle.

And hellcrooner, foreigners are coaches of many American sports (namely soccer) where their assets are needed, I don't think there's a major bias what-so-ever against them. Just so happens that the NBA is a particularly hard threshold to cut into, and despite many of their qualifications, foreigners simply aren't in high demand.

eggy10
11-07-2010, 05:44 AM
NOOO! Most grown men, especially ones earning millions of dollars as a pro athlete, have too much pride and too big of egos to listen to a woman as their coach or telling them what to do haha..
No matter how qualified the woman is to coach a basketball team, I just dont see the gender part ever working anytime soon. Maybe women will continue to evolve over years and be seen as an equal dominance gender as men, making it more likely for them to be able to coach?

Mochalman
11-07-2010, 05:55 AM
never going to happen

sportscrazy34
11-07-2010, 05:57 AM
I don't think its a matter of them doubting there knowledge its a matter of they will think they know just as much as they game is play a bit diffrent. You got guys like sprewell choking pj what happends when its a women coach?

Wilson
11-07-2010, 06:05 AM
I don't see why not. I don't see how a woman can't handle egos, if a woman can rise through the ranks in the police force, army and even politics, why can't they handle egos on a sports team?

subroc
11-07-2010, 06:35 AM
yes, it will happen. It will be about respect for accomplishment not about male egos. The right woman with a championship resume, and obviously the ability, is all that will be needed. I expect Pat Summitt would have the resume to get the respect needed and the ability to get the job done.

News24/7
11-07-2010, 06:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SX3JnUhTaE&feature=related

DreamShaker
11-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Didn't they make a movie about this with Whoopi Goldberg?? But seriously, in theory, it could happen. But honestly, it would be difficult. Coaching is not easy in the NBA. Most college coaches fail. Most former players fail. Mostly everyone fails. How many coaches in the NBA right now actually have total respect? Or even job security? Whoever the trailblazer would be, if she failed, it would give everyone who had previous doubts an excuse to declare it a proven impossibility. The pressure and scrutiny would be otherworldly.

ccg34
11-07-2010, 07:33 AM
In the NBA? You are kidding me. They can't even get a job coaching Mens NCAA Div. 1.

stejay
11-07-2010, 07:46 AM
I would say no. If it happens in my lifetime, I would be extremely surprised

ombada
11-07-2010, 09:08 AM
im gonna say yes, and im gonna predict in the next 15-20 years.

spreadeagle
11-07-2010, 09:15 AM
im gonna say yes, and im gonna predict in the next 15-20 years.

Hey if a women can almost get elected president why cant they coach a damn NBA team lol..She would have had to have played at a very high level though to get respect

stejay
11-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I just couldnt see the immense egos of NBA ballers will be able to take being coached by a woman. Not anytime soon anyway

eXpLiiCt
11-07-2010, 11:33 AM
**** no

NYYCowboys
11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Do you think players like J.R. Smith and Stephen Jackson would respect a woman coach?...hell no.

The Apprentice
11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
No

bahama0811
11-07-2010, 12:00 PM
No way, the players in today's NBA would have no respect for a woman head coach. The male coaches rarely get respect.

mzgrizz
11-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow, I am surprised at the number of posters who said yes.
I personally do not see it happening, but the argument about controlling players' egos does not hold water as too many current male NBA coaches can't do it either!
A female coach would be at a disadvantage if she tried to break up a fight, for sure!!!

cmellofan15
11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Isiah Thomas already climbed this mountain for the rest of the woman race.

Rafer17
11-07-2010, 12:12 PM
No, simply because no one will listen to her. Imagine the Nuggets team with a woman head coach :laugh2:

Hangtime
11-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Probably closer to never. However someone in this thread mentioned Cheryl Miller whom I think has the mental toughness to deal with men but its a longshot it ever happens.

spreadeagle
11-07-2010, 12:17 PM
No way, the players in today's NBA would have no respect for a woman head coach. The male coaches rarely get respect.

I wonder if some players might respect a woman more...there's a lot of mamas boys out there, a lot of NBA players grew up with single moms,probably respect women more then you think...and your right a lot dont respect the men coaches anyway

spreadeagle
11-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Probably closer to never. However someone in this thread mentioned Cheryl Miller whom I think has the mental toughness to deal with men but its a longshot it ever happens.

That was I..when I see her on TV I dont think of a women I think of just a basketball head who knows her stuff and can really play.

magichatnumber9
11-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I thought there already were!

Crab Dribble!
11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
No, simply because no one will listen to her. Imagine the Nuggets team with a woman head coach :laugh2:

But on the other hand, imagine the Spurs coached by Cheryl Miller. I think there's a chance we might see it happen in 20 years or so, but it'll have to be the right team and the right coach for the job. If there's a mismatch, the whole thing'll backfire.

DoMeFavors
11-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Cheryl miller!!

LA_Raiders
11-07-2010, 01:13 PM
they need to start with the D-League and Mens NCAA Div 1 and go from there. Its possible but in a long time...

Law25
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
What the infatuation with women trying to coach or lead men. I mean theres an WNBA, why are they not happy with teaching women ball? They dont know the first thing about being men, so how can an young man coming out of college get advice from her when he is still new to the NBA life. There will be no way to relate to each other. Its not just teaching X's and O's, and work ethic, because if it were ther would be no problem, but its not. There shaping young men from their early twenties to their mid or late thirties, and i feel thats putting to much on them. Aside from that if they take sports from men whats left for us theve taken almost everything else. Instead of trying to fit in men leagues why not make their own league the best they can. This is not meant to be rude or mean so please dont make out to an jerk, its just my opinoin.

Hunter48MVP
11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Never going to happen

heyman321
11-07-2010, 01:42 PM
The only clock women should be looking at is the one above the stove heheheh

Hawkeye15
11-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I think Pat Summitt could coach an NBA team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Summitt

for those who may not know who she is, which is kinda hard to believe anyone who plays/pays any attention to basketball would not know who this woman is

Hellcrooner
11-07-2010, 02:10 PM
mmm And how but Female Refs?

there ar some in fiba basketball and they d o the work just as bad as the men.

1-800-STFU
11-07-2010, 02:20 PM
The only clock women should be looking at is the one above the stove heheheh

The only balls women should be handling are the ones in your pants.

_KB24_
11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
We won't even see a European coach in the future, let alone a woman coach......Did I just say the same thing twice? ;)

:laugh: Gosh, Euros are much too easy :laugh:

DieHardCubFan
11-07-2010, 02:34 PM
no

h2r09
11-07-2010, 03:13 PM
only a head coach of the kitchen and laundry room. ok just kidding, but the players just wouldnt have any respect for them, at least in professional sports.

thescore53
11-07-2010, 03:24 PM
maybe in 100 years.

jay triano/

BkOriginalOne
11-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Lol.

Hellcrooner
11-07-2010, 03:56 PM
jay triano/

a canadian on a canadian team is not foreginer.

The closest thing iright now is Dantoni because he Leearnt to eb a coach nd had his first coaching gigs in europe

sixersi349
11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
no, there are just to many great assistant coaches that can be the head coach as well.

FaM0us Skins
11-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Nope

MrfadeawayJB
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I dont have a problem with it but i think the players would not respect her as much as a male coach...i mean personally i wouldnt want to play for a woman coach

el_primo_nano
11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
The only women at the top of my head that would have the strong attitude for it would be Coach Stringer and Coach Summit

mrblisterdundee
11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
If there's a female coach who's good at the technical aspects of the game, then it's a simple choice to hire her. The real challenge would be finding a female coach who can handle a group of machismo males in a league where a woman really can't play at the same level. That said, if a hard-nosed female coach who knows the technicalities of the game and can handle a group of males, then hire her. I doubt it will happen any time soon, though. Pro sports are as sexist as they come, due to the literal physical divide between men and women.

mrblisterdundee
11-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I dont have a problem with it but i think the players would not respect her as much as a male coach...i mean personally i wouldnt want to play for a woman coach

That's no better than Tim Hardaway saying he wouldn't play with another gay player. Personally, I'd like to see some gigantic homosexual beat Hardaway to within an inch of his life, then shove a splintery broom handle up his ***. If there was a female who could kick your ***, would you respect her more? It's not like coaches need to be premier players; in fact, most premier players have sucked as coaches. It's always been the lesser-talented, team-oriented players who make the best coaches.

braveniler58
11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

... why not?

Just because the coach is female doesn't mean she's automatically a bad coach. Hell, she might even be the best coach you've ever had.

Comments like this make me roll my eyes and hope people like you don't reproduce.

JermanJaysFan
11-07-2010, 06:07 PM
maybe in 100 years.

Triano. Vanderweghe. But they don't really count.

I really really wanted Messina as the Raptors head coach when we fired Mitchell.

godolphins
11-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Won't happen

Jaji
11-07-2010, 07:47 PM
No. And I love women.

JayHunter
11-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I never thought about that but why not

Kinglorious
11-07-2010, 09:52 PM
it's possible, i suppose - however, unlikely. david stern is willing to do anything to promote basketball to the world, not just north america - possibly creating a european division to attract more euro fans, bring them into the family, so to speak. he might be for the idea of women coaches for the same reason.

but this makes me wonder: is there a "rule" right now that prohibits women as head coachs? does it say "Must be of the male gender." or is it just a foregone conclusion?

JDizzle
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
dont think so....

SugeKnight
11-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd take the lady volunteer coach over a bunch of head coaches.

MrfadeawayJB
11-07-2010, 10:19 PM
... why not?

Just because the coach is female doesn't mean she's automatically a bad coach. Hell, she might even be the best coach you've ever had.

Comments like this make me roll my eyes and hope people like you don't reproduce.

Its not that i dont think she could be a good coach, it would just be so out of the normal element that it would take a major adjustment period... if it was strictly x's and o's it would be fine, but most men myself included probably would play for a male coach over a female coach if they had a choice

spreadeagle
11-07-2010, 10:19 PM
that's no better than tim hardaway saying he wouldn't play with another gay player. personally, i'd like to see some gigantic homosexual beat hardaway to within an inch of his life, then shove a splintery broom handle up his ***. if there was a female who could kick your ***, would you respect her more? It's not like coaches need to be premier players; in fact, most premier players have sucked as coaches. It's always been the lesser-talented, team-oriented players who make the best coaches.

gold lmao

hugepatsfan
11-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Not if Delonte West is on the team... lol

Mplsman
11-07-2010, 10:43 PM
No, not in my opinion.

GodsSon
11-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Never happening...

rabzouz 96
11-07-2010, 11:46 PM
the nba isnt a kitchen, a woman has no business there

mlisica19
11-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Their are great women coaches right now, so im sure it will lead to in the future of better women coaches and an inspiring one story of one women getting called into NCAA. will that women ever go into the NBA after that, maybe not but that lady will then inspire more and better coaches of her gender as well.

It will continue for years, when it will come idk but it will surely happen as long as the NBA continues to survive in the world

hugepatsfan
11-08-2010, 12:07 AM
the nba isnt a kitchen, a woman has no business there

:facepalm:

Ovratd1up
11-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Eventually I don't see why not.

scornely2
11-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Maybe for the clippers