PDA

View Full Version : Which stats really show who the best players are?

feddi420
11-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Ok i have been following this forum for a few years now and something i noticed that comes up often is the argument of which stats are relevant when it comes to analyzing a players skill level. So my question to you all is which stats do you think show how good a player really is and which do you think are not relevant but are over rated in terms of skill assessment? And please support your opinion with intelligent commentary.

patsspurscubs
11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Best stats to use are basically any advanced stats, and the most irrelevant is probably PPG. My reason- Monta Ellis

feddi420
11-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Best stats to use are basically any advanced stats, and the most irrelevant is probably PPG. My reason- Monta Ellis

i agree that ppg tend to be overrated but you cant completely dismiss them. Not anyone can drop 30 points a night. You look at the top 5 in ppg every year it is usually the best players in the league.

abe_froman
11-07-2010, 03:47 AM
i agree that ppg tend to be overrated but you cant completely dismiss them. Not anyone can drop 30 points a night. You look at the top 5 in ppg every year it is usually the best players in the league.

well there's the thinking right there.you associate who the best players are with ppg.free yourself from that and we can begin

Avenged
11-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Not necessarily. Last season Monta was #6 in scoring and he's not even top 20.

It's how the players get their points, as in how efficiently and effectively they do it. For example, last season Monta had an embarrassing PER of 16.7, his TS& was at 51 and his eFG& was at 47.

Now compare that to this season [thus far] and his PER is sitting at 25.6, TS% 58, and eFG% at 54. If he continues this way, then he'll be seen as a good scorer. But the game of basketball has much more to it than just scoring.

JordansBulls
11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok i have been following this forum for a few years now and something i noticed that comes up often is the argument of which stats are relevant when it comes to analyzing a players skill level. So my question to you all is which stats do you think show how good a player really is and which do you think are not relevant but are over rated in terms of skill assessment? And please support your opinion with intelligent commentary.

PER and Win Shares

Patman
11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
If you wan't to have quick and easy answer check Winshares / PER and such. They all have their flaws but they give a pretty good overall picture, but most of them can't take defense in to account properly, especially PER.

But yeah they are way more accurate then PPG/RPG/BPG/SPG.

PatsSoxKnicks
11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
^Also, wins produced.

http://www.wagesofwins.com/CalculatingWinsProduced.html

http://www.permanent-sketch.com/WinsProduced/Main.html#/Season

lakers4sho
11-10-2010, 08:54 PM
LeBron James, considered to be the best player in the league and recorded historical PERs over the past few years, only has a 22.9 PER this year (so far), the lowest since his rookie PER of 18.3. What to take of that?