PDA

View Full Version : eric spoelstra calls the nets a "nameless, faceless opponent"

yatusabebro
11-06-2010, 07:35 PM
by Net Income on Nov 6, 2010 6:32 PM EDT

If the Nets needed any more motivation to give their all against the Heat, Erik Spoelstra just provided it. In a press conference just before the Nets-Heat game, Spoelstra referred to the Nets as a "nameless, faceless, opponent". Beat reporters Colin Stephenson and Stefan Bondy tweeted from Miami, noting that Spoelstra went through the entire press conference without one mention of the Nets. And there was not one question from Miami media about the Nets either.

The coach (whose father Jon was president of the Nets in the early 1990's) was discussing how the Heat had to focus after losing to the undefeated Hornets on Friday night. The Heat, with the Miami Thrice of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, is 4-2 after the loss.

wow. thats harsh. i know the nets arent great but thats not right to say. the nets will prob come out n play this game mad n with some extra motivation but i still doubt they will be able to win.

td0tsfinest
11-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Well they are moving to Brooklyn and don't have a name yet :D

h2r09
11-06-2010, 07:37 PM
he means that the heat are obviously better than them and that they cant focus on who they are playing, just playing their own game after not showing up with good hustle and effort last night.

he isnt insulting the nets.

if you want honesty from the coaches and players you cant overreact when they give it to you.

m26555
11-06-2010, 07:38 PM
he means that the heat are obviously better than them and that they cant focus on who they are playing, just playing their own game after not showing up with good hustle and effort last night.

he isnt insulting the nets.

if you want honesty from the coaches and players you cant overreact when they give it to you.
You're right; words like "nameless" and "faceless" aren't meant to be insulting at all. :rolleyes:

I hope the Nets kick the ever-loving **** out of them tonight (even though it probably won't happen).

h2r09
11-06-2010, 07:39 PM
You're right; words like "nameless" and "faceless" aren't meant to be insulting at all. :rolleyes:

listen to the question asked and the way he responds. but you havent of course, you are just reading it. talk to me when you do so.

Supreme LA
11-06-2010, 07:41 PM

I hope the Nets kick the ever-loving **** out of them tonight (even though it probably won't happen).

This.

m26555
11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
listen to the question asked and the way he responds. but you havent of course, you are just reading it. talk to me when you do so.
I don't have to listen to the question that was asked. When somebody calls you a fat slob or a loser with no prospects, it's an insult no matter what the question was. The same logic applies here. He could have found another way to make his point without calling the Nets "nameless" and "faceless." But, you're a Heat fan, so I don't expect you to understand.

h2r09
11-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't have to listen to the question that was asked. When somebody calls you a fat slob, it's an insult no matter what the question was. The same logic applies here. He could have found another way to make his point without calling the Nets "nameless" and "faceless." But, you're a Heat fan, so I don't expect you to understand.

that is the dumbest logic i have ever seen, nor is it comparable. like i said, listen to the question and listen to what he was actually trying to say before you make a huge deal about it.

he is actually trying to say something positive. the question was how do you get up for a team that obviously isnt in the upper echelon of the nba? he said you cant look at it like that and that they have to be a nameless, faceless opponent.

Khalifa21
11-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I think he's suggesting that the Heat just need to go out and play their game regardless of the opponent.

He could actually be complementing them... Don't judge them on last years record, thinking you could just get an easy W.

It could mean a variety of things :shrug:

m26555
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
that is the dumbest logic i have ever seen, nor is it comparable. like i said, listen to the question and listen to what he was actually trying to say before you make a huge deal about it.

he is actually trying to say something positive. the question was how do you get up for a team that obviously isnt in the upper echelon of the nba? he said you cant look at it like that and that they have to be a nameless, faceless opponent.
I have been searching and I cannot even find the question that was asked. Do you have a link?

h2r09
11-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I have been searching and I cannot even find the question that was asked. Do you have a link?

I was listening to the pregame show on 790. it was, in summary, how do you get up for a lesser opponent?

of course the nets guys only put that part of the quote, but spo also says that after the way the heat came out last night it shouldnt matter who they are and then said the part in the article.

m26555
11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I was listening to the pregame show on 790. it was, in summary, how do you get up for a lesser opponent?

of course the nets guys only put that part of the quote, but spo also says that after the way the heat came out last night it shouldnt matter who they are and then said the part in the article.
Alright gotchya. That one is on me then.

John Walls Era
11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Can I get a link.

h2r09
11-06-2010, 07:56 PM
haha, that alright. but the hate for the heat is getting ridiculous with every comment being completely over analyzed.

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2010, 07:58 PM
by Net Income on Nov 6, 2010 6:32 PM EDT

If the Nets needed any more motivation to give their all against the Heat, Erik Spoelstra just provided it. In a press conference just before the Nets-Heat game, Spoelstra referred to the Nets as a "nameless, faceless, opponent". Beat reporters Colin Stephenson and Stefan Bondy tweeted from Miami, noting that Spoelstra went through the entire press conference without one mention of the Nets. And there was not one question from Miami media about the Nets either.

The coach (whose father Jon was president of the Nets in the early 1990's) was discussing how the Heat had to focus after losing to the undefeated Hornets on Friday night. The Heat, with the Miami Thrice of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, is 4-2 after the loss.

wow. thats harsh. i know the nets arent great but thats not right to say. the nets will prob come out n play this game mad n with some extra motivation but i still doubt they will be able to win.

way to show a lack of class spoelstra :facepalm:

h2r09
11-06-2010, 08:00 PM
way to show a lack of class spoelstra :facepalm:

what a surprise that you come into a heat hate thread. whodathunkit?

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
what a surprise that you come into a heat hate thread. whodathunkit?

and what a surprise you have to protect whatever comes out of the mouth of spoelstra or anyone else from the heat. spoelstra could say that its ok to rape women and you would agree because it came from his mouth or somebody from the heat organization.

godolphins
11-06-2010, 08:04 PM
He hit it right on the nail

hotpotato1092
11-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Spoelstra shouldn't say **** like that, he hasn't proven anything in this league. He's riding the coattails of LeBron, Wade and Riley. This guy wouldn't be anything without them so he needs to just keep his mouth shut and do his job. I don't care if you're playing the Lakers or if you're playing a D3 college team, you show your opponent some respect. I know there's context to this quote, but there's no acceptable reason to call a team a "nameless, faceless opponent".

Hoopsadvocate
11-06-2010, 08:06 PM
LOL spolestras one of the most closed mouth coaches in the league the guy rarely talks or draws attention to himself this was obviously taken out of context.

then again im not surprised at the people jumping down his back. they find any excuse to hate. kind of flattering to get all the attention.

Trouble87
11-06-2010, 08:07 PM
disrespectful and shows a lack of professionalism

hope the Nets give the Heat all they can stand

h2r09
11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
try reading a page back to see what he actually said as opposed to taking 1 sentence out of a 30 second response.

jkiddvc20
Well after one quarter Nets up 25 to 24.. If the game was only 12 minutes they would have a W!!

cambovenzi
25-24 Nets > Heat after 1 quarter lol

Im going to laugh pretty hard if they lose.

saintdrew
11-06-2010, 08:09 PM
*Gasp* .... Oh no, how tragic!

Get over it, people... Jesus.

BALLER71
11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Spoelstra shouldn't say **** like that, he hasn't proven anything in this league. He's riding the coattails of LeBron, Wade and Riley. This guy wouldn't be anything without them so he needs to just keep his mouth shut and do his job. I don't care if you're playing the Lakers or if you're playing a D3 college team, you show your opponent some respect. I know there's context to this quote, but there's no acceptable reason to call a team a "nameless, faceless opponent".

Turning the worst team in the league into a playoff team the next year isn't "something"?

He's actually considered a good coach,

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Turning the worst team in the league into a playoff team the next year isn't "something"?

He's actually considered a good coach,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say maybe that had something to do with wade coming back from inury maybe :shrug:

ManRam
11-06-2010, 08:19 PM
A) I think the Nets make the playoffs
B) Spo only said this because LeBron James is the anti-Christ. Duh.
C) It's a tight game.

BigBlueCrew
11-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Even from this text I can decipher that Eric Spolestra is just trying to make out the Nets as another opponent and that his team should treat it as such.

But Eric Spolestra has gotta learn some political correctness as everything the Miami Heat do this season is going to be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

IDB Josh M
11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
A lot of White Knighting by Heat fans in here. For someone as tight lipped as Spoelstra, he should save his trash talking for decent opponents, and not the lowly New Jersey Nets.

h2r09
11-06-2010, 08:27 PM
A lot of White Knighting by Heat fans in here. For someone as tight lipped as Spoelstra, he should save his trash talking for decent opponents, and not the lowly New Jersey Nets.

if you realize he is tight lipped then you cant be dumb enough not to realize that his comment in this article was taken out of perspective.

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2010, 08:28 PM
no valid argument for what? you read the title and saw an ippurtunity to hate on the heat . there is no arguments with you. you just look for an oppurtunity to find anything wrong with the heat and then you post about it. please go back in your posts and show me any post you have had that says anything positive about the heat.

actually i always read every article before i post. i dont go off by titles. second, I dont think spoelstra is all that and im letting it be known. third, i have said positive things about the heat before, go back in my history. go look at my friends list, half of them on here are miami fans. do you think they are friends with me cause i hate on them all the time? i only mostly hate on lebron and i make it known i dislike lebron. so if you cant take hatred on this site or negative comments about your team, i suggest that psd isnt the place for you. im not the only one in this thread that has said something bad about this.

IDB Josh M
11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
if you realize he is tight lipped then you cant be dumb enough not to realize that his comment in this article was taken out of perspective.

I'm sure Spoelstra is just trying to make the Nets feel bad too.

Missing56&33
11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't think he meant anything by it.

hgtiger32
11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXDo5WhQXI&ob=av3e

skip to the 2:00 mark.
-----------------------
it's the boys of fall video which i assume many have seen numerous times. sean payton giving a HS team a pregame talk and he says the same thing. ALL coaches say this. don't worry about the other team, our only worry is about how we play. sure behind close doors coaches might focus in on a player or two but this is said sooooo often from little leagues to the pros. people need to stop geekin out after something taking out of context...

BALLER71
11-06-2010, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXDo5WhQXI&ob=av3e

skip to the 2:00 mark.
-----------------------
it's the boys of fall video which i assume many have seen numerous times. sean payton giving a HS team a pregame talk and he says the same thing. ALL coaches say this. don't worry about the other team, our only worry is about how we play. sure behind close doors coaches might focus in on a player or two but this is said sooooo often from little leagues to the pros. people need to stop geekin out after something taking out of context...

GREAT FIND.

I assume this is what he meant by faceless opponent. check the video out.

drew_ellis_23
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Well after the Nets beat them Spoelstra will look pretty stupid. Who the hell is he anyway? Rileys puppet, thats who.

PHX2daDEATH
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
who cares , Avery Johnson eats spoelstra for Breakfast..if Avery was coaching the heat they would go 79-3..

IDB Josh M
11-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Remember when KG called Charlie Villunueva a Cancer Patient? Yeah, its like that; everyone is taking it out of context.

RipCity32
11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
i was just going to say there had to been more to that interview i couldnt see any coach in the nba saying something that stupid to the media
.................................................. ........(common sense).

kjoke
11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
we gotta hear the whole thing first for example it could have went like this: "the nets are a very well-wounded team, they have np significant name on the team but play hard and find a way to be competitive, they have no face but rather a collection of good players."

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2010, 08:47 PM
and if you would read the rest of the thread you would realize what spoelstra actually said.

i could care less who your online friends are on here, every time there is a thread to show something negative about the heat you are either the thread starter or post in there.

no **** you dont like lebron. you are just completely bitter he spurned your team. and i know you arent the only one who said something bad, but the other ones who did saw what i wrote earlier to what the actual question was and what his ENTIRE answer was.

how many times am I going to have to repeat this to you and jonathan that i am not bitter about lebron, i dont care about lebron. i didnt really want lebron.i have disliked lebron since he came into the league. i wanted wade and yes i was a little salty when wade spurned us, but i am not mad at wade. wade is still my favorite player in the NBA. seriously...... before you make an argument about how someone is a hater, you should do your research on the person or at least look at their profile where it says wade is the persons favorite player in the nba.

h2r09
11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
we gotta hear the whole thing first for example it could have went like this: "the nets are a very well-wounded team, they have np significant name on the team but play hard and find a way to be competitive, they have no face but rather a collection of good players."

the question was how do you get up to play a team like the nts and his answer was that after the way they played last night they shouldnt be focusing on who they play, but nobody cares to hear the details.

JLynn943
11-06-2010, 08:49 PM
So many people are taking this completely out of context...

h2r09
11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
how many times am I going to have to repeat this to you and jonathan that i am not bitter about lebron, i dont care about lebron. i didnt really want lebron.i have disliked lebron since he came into the league. i wanted wade and yes i was a little salty when wade spurned us, but i am not mad at wade. wade is still my favorite player in the NBA. seriously...... before you make an argument about how someone is a hater, you should do your research on the person or at least look at their profile where it says wade is the persons favorite player in the nba.

i never said a thing about wade. you are completely full of ****, because it is painfully obvious you are at the very least bitter that lebron is here instead of there. every post you have made since july 7 says so.

daleja424
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
if someone can PM me a reputable link, I will reopen this