PDA

View Full Version : NBA All Time Redraft 2nd Round Playoffs: 2) Charlotte Hornets v. 6) New York Knicks

Mile High Champ
11-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Every once in a while, the fantastic and committed users of PSD participate in the NBA All time redraft. Players that were eligible to be drafted must have played in the 1980-81 or beyond. The intention of this rule was to ensure that PSD community had better knowledge of the players being drafted and voted on. Please take the time to look over the players and the teams and vote for the better squad. We thank you for your time as your votes are important to determining an NBA ALL Time Redraft champion.

Please evaluate each player based on how well they played in their prime; injuries have no bearing on this game what so ever. Most of the GM’s have taken the time to create a clubhouse with stats for their player which is based on each player’s best s 3 consecutive seasons.

2) Charlotte Hornets v. 6) New York Knicks

Hornets have homecourt advantage

Hornets Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14918120&postcount=24)
Knicks Clubhouse (http://http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14919157&postcount=25)

Hornets Depth Chart
PG: #1 - Baron Davis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1FBp8Q_XvA)
SG: #34 - Ray Allen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkd-gPyeub8&feature=related) [
SF: #22 - John Drew (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/drewjo01.html)
PF: #5 - Carlos Boozer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qlhhMYEuI)
C: #33 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLKmDGwLGE)

Bench
6th Man: #23 - Jason Richardson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W1HUyKPTmM&feature=fvst)
PF/C: #14 - Antonio McDyess (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQC5g7yezgs)
G: #10 - Don Buse
SF: #24 - Richard Jefferson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhejWIUS7Gc)
PG: #14 - Muggsy Bogues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMlnp5O2Ls)
PF: #43 - Mychal Thompson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jJVVEa5JHY&feature=related)
C: #77 - Gheorghe Muresan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBCyrHi9Ez0)

Knicks Depth Chart
C - Bill Cartwright / Maurice Lucas / Theo Ratliff
PF - Wes Unseld / Kermit Washington
SF - Kevin Durant / Sean Elliott
SG - Kobe Bryant / Paul Pressey / Hubert Davis
PG - Fat Lever / Kevin Porter

Horntes Write Up

First of all I want to give props to the KNICKS GM props!!! KOB did a great job as most of the GMs did and he pulled off a controversial trade to get Durant and it has paid off for him!!!!!

PG Baron Davis vs Fat Lever
Advantage Hornets

Baron Davis is a bigger (both 6 foot 3 but lever weighs 170 n baron is 200) faster and more atheltic version of lever both play solid defense baron was a better scorer both were great defenders baron was/is a better ball distributor he has more career assist that lever does baron was actually a more efficient shooter over his career than lever (TS% over career davis .502 lever .496 eFG% baron .464 lever .455 both with a 105 defensive rating

Role: Point Guard/Tempo Setter/

SG Ray Allen Vs Kobe Bryant
Advantage: Knicks

edge in this one goes to kobe Bryant….kobe and ray has had WARS versus each other throughout their career this rivalry really took a new level when ray was in seattle and made some comments abt kobe being over rated this matchup isn’t as one sided as it seems yes kobe overwhelms ray in accomplishments but when these two go on the floor vs. each other in their prime ray was always tryin to one up kobe we are gonna get kobe as tired as humanly possible chasing ray

Role: 2nd Option/Scorer/Shooter

SF John Drew vs Kevin Durant
Advantage Knicks

Its not as Bad as it may look though John Drew Was One Hell Of a Player...He averaged just under 24 ppg 8 boards and 1.6 steals ALL OF THAT IN 32 MIN A GAME

he is my X factor he can go of at any time he was an incredible scorer in his hay day he can take a lot of pressure of Kareem and Ray and would u trust vince carter in the playoffs??

Role: Glue Guy/Defender/X Factor

PF Carlos Boozer vs Wes Unseld
Small Advantage Hornets

Wes was a great rebounded but he would not rebound over 15 boards in todays game this is actually a size matchup where boozer towers (boozer is 6 ‘9 wes is 6’7) also if u look at the advance stats boozer beats wes in almost every category (boozer per 20.8 west per 16.1 TS% boozer .577 wes .537 eFG% boozer .541 west .508 TRB% boozer 18.3 wes 18.1) boozer is a better shooter than wes ever was u make look at the two names and say o wes is better if u look at the numbers its holly cow I cant believe boozer beats wes unsled in every category

Role: Screener/Rebounder/

C Kareem Abdul Jabbar vs Bill Cartwright

Huge advantage in favor of kareem kareem will dominate the pain in this series

Kareem Is the Best Center in The Re Draft (no wilt) he is going to be an advantage night in and night out

He is going to be the number one option on this team he will always be in the low post as boozer will play the high post Kareems defense is really under rated and i dont really need to say more

Role: #1 option/Rebounder/screener/last line of defense

The Beautiful Part of my team is after the #1 and #2 option (kareem, ray) any given night the #3 option could be drew or davis or boozer this team will run off of its defense only when necessary on defensive rebounds/steals/blocks/turnovers but we will protect the ball as much as we can and mostly play out of the half court our ideal system is the Jazz system with Jerry sloan he would create a lot of shots for kareem and ray and he has a big PG in baron that he can post up and he has coached boozer before

Bench

Hornets Bench
6th man Jason Richardson SG/SF - Instant Offense Big Dunks Spark Plug Pure Energy Fan Excitement Can go off for 25 any given night....get my drift?? his big dunks will energize the home court and rejuvinate my team to go on a run during the game can play the SG or SF

7th man - Antonio Mcdyess PF/C - Perfect Bigman alongside Kareem really athletic in his prime also could go for 20 space the floor and slip right into boozers role with no problem also great defender can defend both the PF and C postions in case kareem is the first off the bench

8th man Don Buse PG/SG - Floor general 6 foot 4 point guard averaged 8 assists a game was a 6 time 1st team all nba defender he is my defensive stopper of the bench can play defense for the PG and SG postions

9th Man Mychal Thompson C/PF - Mychael Thompson former laker is also in an IDEAL ROLE he was Kareems Backup for 2 years for their championships in 1987-1988 he can play both PF and C postions

10th man Richard Jefferson SF/SG - He is another high flyer that can get the place rockin can defend both SG and Sf postions he is a solid shooter from the corners RJ can put up buckets!

11th man Gheorge Muerasn C - Fan Favorite BIG Body its good to have bigs to throw at great centers but probably wont play to much in this series'

12th man Muggesy Bogues PG - You cannot have the Charlotte hornets without muggsey bogues right??? hes a crowd favortie all around also may not play much in this series but when he does he will bring a spark!!!!

At the end of the day we can compete with their prolific guards because we don’t have slouches but this series is gonna be won off of defense and the battle in the paint the knicks have a great squad but they do not have the height or defense inside the paint to contain someone like kareem.

Knicks Write Up

Starting Five:
Center - Bill Cartwright- 18.9 PPG | 7.5 RPG | 1.5 APG | 1.1 BPG | 55% FG% | 79% FT% | (1979-1982)
Power Forward - Wes Unseld- 14.7 PPG | 17.3 RPG | 3.4 APG | 50% FG% | 63% FT% | (1968-1971)
Small Forward - Kevin Durant- 25.2 PPG | 6.2 RPG | 2.7 APG | 1.2 SPG | 0.9 BPG | 46% FG% | 36% 3P% | 88% FT% | (2007-2010)
Shooting Guard - Kobe Bryant- 31.8 PPG | 5.8 RPG | 5.1 APG | 1.7 SPG | 0.4 BPG | 46% FG% | 35% 3P% | 85% FT% | (2005-2008)
Point Guard - Fat Lever- 19.2 PPG | 8.8 RPG | 7.9 APG | 2.6 SPG | 0.3 BPG | 47% FG% | 78% FT% | (1986-1989)

Bench:
C/PF Maurice Lucas- 19.0 PPG | 10.2 RPG | 2.8 APG | 1.0 SPG | 0.9 BPG | 47% FG% | 77% FT% | (1976-1979)
PF Kermit Washington - 12.0 PPG | 9.9 RPG | 1.9 APG | 1.0 SPG | 1.4 BPG | 56% FG% | 65% FT% | (1978-1981)
SF Sean Elliott - 17.7 PPG | 4.5 RPG | 2.8 APG | 0.8 SPG | 0.5 BPG | 47% FG% | 40% 3P% | 78% FT% | (1994-1997)
SG Paul Pressey - 14.8 PPG | 5.1 RPG | 7.3 APG | 1.8 SPG | 0.8 BPG | 50% FG% | 77% FT% | (1984-1987)
PG Kevin Porter - 13.1 PPG | 2.1 RPG | 10.3 APG | 1.5 SPG | 0.1 BPG | 48% FG% | 75% FT% | (1975-1978)
Deep Bench:
F/C Theo Ratliff - 11.8 PPG | 8.0 RPG | 0.8 APG | 0.7 SPG | 3.2 BPG | 49% FG% | 75% FT% | (1998-2001)
G Hubert Davis - 10.6 PPG | 1.4 RPG | 2.0 APG | 0.5 SPG | 0.1 BPG | 48% FG% | 45% 3P% | 84% FT% | (1993-1996)

Point Guard – Fat Lever vs. Baron Davis
Both are close to 20ppg/8apg averages but that’s where the similarities end. Baron Davis was/is a 3pt chucker who during his prime season of 2005 shot an embarrassing 39% from the field / 32% 3pt / 68% FT with a TS% of 49%. Yet he was still letting it rip for 16 shots per game. Meanwhile Fat Lever in his prime was ripping down rebounds (almost 9 rpg for a PG!) and attacking the basket. He was also making All-Defensive teams. Imagine the 5-19 games Baron would have with a top defender harassing him all series. This matchup is a no brainer.

Edge: Fat Lever (Knicks)

Shooting Guard – Kobe Bryant vs. Ray Allen
Kobe brings scoring, passing, elite defense. Ray brings scoring, and elite shooting. Kobe brings more to the game and has a much better chance of slowing down Ray Allen than the other way around. Another comfortable win for the Knicks.

Edge: Kobe Bryant (Knicks)

Small Forward – Kevin Durant vs. John Drew
I would love to see 6’6, 205 lbs of slow 70s guard/forward trying to stick Durant. Drew’s claim to fame is being tied with J Kidd for most turnovers in a game. He also amazing led the league in usage rating twice yet could barely crack 2apg. He basically is a much worse and less versatile (no 3pt shot whatsoever) version of Durant and this would be an incredible mismatch in our favor.

Edge: Kevin Durant (Knicks)

Power Forward – Wes Unseld vs. Carlos Boozer
One of these players is a former league MVP and NBA Finals MVP. The other is Carlos Boozer. For slightly more scoring he sacrifices rebounding, defense, team work, and passing. Give me Unseld and this isn’t even close.

Edge: Wes Unseld (Knicks)

Center – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Bill Cartwright
Kareem was 7’2 / 225lbs. Bill Cartwright was 7’1 / 245lbs. Cartwright was an almost 20ppg scorer with an incredibly efficient 60% TS%. How many centers on this earth have had the size to matchup with Kareem AND the offensive game to make him work on defense? 10? 15? Cartwright is on that short list. Kareem would probably outplay him every game but Cartwright and those wild elbows would make him work for it. That’s for damn sure.

Edge: Kareem (Hornets)

Bench - Porter / Pressey / Elliot / Washington / Lucas(rip) vs. Mugsy/Buse/Richardson/ Thompson/Dyess

Porter > Mugsy
Pressey = Buse
Elliot < Richardson
Washington < Thompson
Lucas > Dyess

Edge: I think Lucas being by far the best player on either bench gives me an edge but it’s extremely close and could probably be called a push.

Overall:
Kareem was one of the greatest players of all-time but you can’t vote for him just for that reason. We have superior players at every other position and the best 6th man off the bench with 4th round pick PF/C Maurice Lucas who was a 20/10 big man who made all-defensive 1st team. All four of his other starters vary from average to below average defensively which means that Kareem would attacked defensively all game long. Throw in some Baron Davis chuckfests with Fat Lever on him and Durant torching John Drew and the Knicks win the series.

zambo4president
11-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Hornets. Kareem has a giant advantage.

SteveNash
11-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Knicks win at every position.

KnicksorBust
11-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Hornets. Kareem has a giant advantage.

And Durant doesn't? Look at all the quality defensive bigs like Cartwright-Unseld-Lucas-Ratliff I can throw at Kareem.

Mile High Champ
11-06-2010, 06:46 PM
This will be a tough match up and I will not vote because I could end up playing the winner in the next round. Best of luck to both teams.

John Walls Era
11-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I went with KOBs team. He has better players on the wings and that could make a huge difference.

Khalifa21
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Knicks.

hotpotato1092
11-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Unseld's outlet passes to Kobe and Durant? They'd be absolutely unstoppable in transition. Gotta take the Knicks here, not to take anything away from the Hornets because they're a fantastic team as well, would love to see this series played out.

Chacarron
11-06-2010, 09:05 PM
It was a tough choice, but I went for the Knicks. Their bench made the difference for me.

Rivera
11-06-2010, 11:53 PM
u guys are not lookin at the numbers LOOK AT THE NUMBERS

baron davis vs fat lever

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=davisba01&y1=2011&p2=leverfa01&y2=1994

baron holds every advantage

wes unseld vs carlos boozer

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=boozeca01&y1=2010&p2=unselwe01&y2=1979

BOOZER HOLDS EVERY ADVANTAGE

and the fact that u say ray allen isnt an elite defender is a JOKE everyone saw ray D up kobe in the 07 and 09 finals since everyone has short term memory and he did an admirable job which is all im lookin for same effort and intensity

and the battle between Bill Cartwright vs Kareem is soooooo ONE SIDEDED that its not even close its like me winnin 3 or 4 matchups to 1

the hornets will eat the knicks up in the paint and make this a slow tempo game

Hellcrooner
11-07-2010, 12:11 AM

guess younever saw kareem play.

roshan3ai
11-07-2010, 12:39 AM
It was too hard to read the writeup for the Hornets. Punctuation is your friend.

KnicksorBust
11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
u guys are not lookin at the numbers LOOK AT THE NUMBERS

baron davis vs fat lever

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=davisba01&y1=2011&p2=leverfa01&y2=1994

baron holds every advantage

wes unseld vs carlos boozer

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=boozeca01&y1=2010&p2=unselwe01&y2=1979

BOOZER HOLDS EVERY ADVANTAGE

and the fact that u say ray allen isnt an elite defender is a JOKE everyone saw ray D up kobe in the 07 and 09 finals since everyone has short term memory and he did an admirable job which is all im lookin for same effort and intensity

and the battle between Bill Cartwright vs Kareem is soooooo ONE SIDEDED that its not even close its like me winnin 3 or 4 matchups to 1

the hornets will eat the knicks up in the paint and make this a slow tempo game

1. You're making yourself look like a fool because you're changing the entire rules of the redraft and now comparing entire careers to try and sway voters last minute. It's almost worth a DQ if you ask me.
2. You actually think Baron Davis holds "every advantage" even though he's atrocious with scoring efficiency, gets to the foul line less, rebounds a TON less, and can't touch Lever defensively (all-defensive team vs. terrible defender).
3. You think Ray Allen is an "elite" defender.
4. You brought up Vince Carter in your writeup because you didn't even bother to check your new matchup.
5. And you think Boozer holds every advantage over Wes Unseld even though Unseld is a former league and Finals MVP and Boozer is lucky to make an All-Star team. You have no knowledge of Unseld's unique skill set that fits perfectly on my team. He's arguably the best passing big man of all-time and hotpotato hit it right on the head. Durant-Kobe in the open court catching outlet passes is going to destroy John Drew and Ray Allen all game long.

PhillyLuver
11-07-2010, 12:04 PM
See you in the ECF KOB. Nawwttt

SteveNash
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
guess younever saw kareem play.

guess younever saw cartwright play.

Rivera
11-07-2010, 12:33 PM
1. You're making yourself look like a fool because you're changing the entire rules of the redraft and now comparing entire careers to try and sway voters last minute. It's almost worth a DQ if you ask me.
2. You actually think Baron Davis holds "every advantage" even though he's atrocious with scoring efficiency, gets to the foul line less, rebounds a TON less, and can't touch Lever defensively (all-defensive team vs. terrible defender).
3. You think Ray Allen is an "elite" defender.
4. You brought up Vince Carter in your writeup because you didn't even bother to check your new matchup.
5. And you think Boozer holds every advantage over Wes Unseld even though Unseld is a former league and Finals MVP and Boozer is lucky to make an All-Star team. You have no knowledge of Unseld's unique skill set that fits perfectly on my team. He's arguably the best passing big man of all-time and hotpotato hit it right on the head. Durant-Kobe in the open court catching outlet passes is going to destroy John Drew and Ray Allen all game long.

1. im not tryin 2 but u cant do the comparison with 3yrs its easier for me 2 so over careers...n thats my job as a GM to sway voters no???

2 baron davis never played on a good team he isnt the 1 or 2 scorin option and if ur #1 rebounder is ur PG then SIR u will get DOMINATED on the boards i dont need baron to grab boards which is the ONLY thing Lever does better than Baron

3. Ray Allen IS A DAMN GOOD DEFENDER he may not b elite but hes in the next tier and everyone whose ever watched kobe vs ray allen play knows when these 2 go at it its a war from rays n kobes prime until today ray can play enough D on Kobe to get me satisfied yes Kobe will still probably get his 25/30 its all abt his FG% and how many shots it takes him thats all im sayin

4. LOL i just kept it from the last one because i just want a quick over view for people on john drew but i still put advantage knicks so i dont see the problem??

5 I know all abt Wes but the fact that boozer can board with wes the fact that kareem is gonna help on boards and IS gonna dominate carwright or who ever else their isnt many boards for wes to grab and outlet im sorry my team could be way to efficent with the Ray/Kareem Combo

mind u my team plays a slower pace so good look runninng up and down the floor this is the playoffs and in the playoffs its hard for a running team to get up and down the floor on a team set in its half court offense!!!!

JordansBulls
11-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Tell me you are joking.

SteveNash
11-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Tell me you are joking.

What position are they at a disadvantage?

Mile High Champ
11-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Close match-up for sure..

PhillyLuver
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
What position are they at a disadvantage?

uh... center?

Silent
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
knicks

NYMets2011
11-08-2010, 12:04 PM
i think the knicks would win this series in 5 or 6 games

zambo4president
11-08-2010, 03:49 PM
And Durant doesn't? Look at all the quality defensive bigs like Cartwright-Unseld-Lucas-Ratliff I can throw at Kareem.

That's no match for the best big man of all-time is my point. Durant's advantage isn't nearly what Kareem's is in this matchup.

SteveNash
11-08-2010, 06:11 PM
uh... center?

Cartwright more than held his own against Kareem when he was playing for the Knicks. And the backup match-ups aren't even close.

Ebbs
11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Jordan, Bird, Magic, Hakeem, Kareem, Dr. J are all gone dang.

nyanks79
11-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Wasnt a fan of the Knicks in the Redraft, but they had the matchups in the first 2 matchups.

Hornets killed themselves with the Issel for Boozer trade IMO.