PDA

View Full Version : Contenders/Pretenders/Offenders 2010 edition

TheHoopsProphet
11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Key terms:
Contender: A nba team who will compete with the best for championship
Pretender: A nba team who appears to compete with the best, but will fall with the rest into the lottery mess.
Offender: An nba team predicted to compete with the best, but have underwhelmed critics.

1) Hornets 4-0. They have tied the franchise mark for sexiest start to a season, the last time they did this was in 2006-07, when they were up 3-1 on the Spurs in the Western Semi's before blowing the lead. Christopher Paul looks healthy and teethy again. Hes all smiles with new acquisitions Trev Ariz and up and coming superstar Willie Green. Just how good is this squad? Well apparently they are so deep, that they cant even find minutes for the Serbian legend, Pita Stoveyacko, who has now had 2 DNPs in the early part of the season. But is this juggernaut team a pretender or contender?
Strengths: christopher paul, bourbon street
Weaknesses: none

2) Rockets 0-4. After nearly ending his career, Yao Mang came back. Rick Adelman has made him faster, stronger, and better than before. And with Brook coming off his MIP year, and the acquisition of the player with KMart (owner of the greatest ratio of worst looking shot and sweetest stroke), Brandon "boxer" Miller(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10qzaH5eQk) they appeared poise to make noise without the roids in the West conference. But they are now in an 0-4 hole. They have offended critics and Houston fans alike. So are they contenders, pretenders, or offenders?
Strengths: Coaching, Hustle, Texas Rangers
Weaknesses: No cool mascot

3) OKC Thunder (3-2). Coming off the best (best=most exciting) win of the season against the Blazers last night, the Thunder have so far been nothing more than drizzle. Turantula looks like a top 10 player at best right now, unable to make shots efficiently (subpar passer, rebounder, and dribbler, whats left?). Luckily, as many predicted, Westbrook is looking like a god out there. But they are one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league (maybe hornets can give them Stoyacko?) Do they need a trade to compete with the best? Are they contenders or offenders?
Strengths: OKC boring city will focus on bball, humble pie
Weaknesses: OKC boring city, may lose minds.

4) Los Angeles Lakers (5-0). Gasol is looking like an MVP right now, and Colby looks like his knee is healthy again (dont bring it up to him though, or he will sexually enforce himself on you). Every season Phil started 5-0, they have always made it to the finals. But still, how long will colby stay healthy, and will pau's load of minutes strain him down the stretch? They have no consistent big man, and they need Lucas Walton to gget healthy already. But perhaps colby's transformation from slasher to jump shooter will keep him healthy. Are they pretenders or contenders?
Strengths: Jack Nicholson, coaching, have an actual club in staples center after games .
Weaknesses: Point Guard, Pau's hair

The Final Boss
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
The back to back champs shouldn't even be in this thread, you're just trying to stir **** up. You then proceed to spell Kobe's name wrong deliberately and call them the Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers but fail to call the Thunder Seattle/OKC, the Rockets San Diego, and the Hornets Charlotte. I would call you out on other shots you take but its easier to just through you in the trash with all the other Laker haters. You're insecurities are rampant and its evident in all of your posts. Just stop guy, you're embarrassing yourself. Btw, wtf does 'offenders' have to do with basketball clubs? I should be offended by the ignorance and lack of intelligence in this thread.

Raph12
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
The fact that you have LA in this thread (and I'm not talking about the Clippers), says a lot about your basketball IQ...

Matrix3132
11-05-2010, 12:47 PM
You can't have a poll for contenders/pretenders/offenders, which are people even voting for, the results will prove absolutely nothing....

TheHoopsProphet
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
The back to back champs shouldn't even be in this thread, you're just trying to stir **** up. You then proceed to spell Kobe's name wrong deliberately and call them the Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers but fail to call the Thunder Seattle/OKC, the Rockets San Diego, and the Hornets Charlotte. I would call you out on other shots you take but its easier to just through you in the trash with all the other Laker haters. You're insecurities are rampant and its evident in all of your posts. Just stop guy, you're embarrassing yourself. Btw, wtf does 'offenders' have to do with basketball clubs? I should be offended by the ignorance and lack of intelligence in this thread.

Why are you offended by me extending the lakers franchise legacy to Minneapolis? If you can't show some love to one of the most beautiful cities in the western hemisphere, then you are admitting the franchise only has 12 championships, and should be calling them the Los Angeles fill in the blanks. As a fellow laker fan, I spit on you. One of my biggest regrets in life is not watching colby bryant's 81 point game live, how dare you question my loyalty. Lets stay on topic, you fail to counterargue my points on why the lakers might not win championship and go off on a tangent on my short comings. This is the quintessential ad hominum argumentative, look it up big guy, and then come back with less futile points.

TheHoopsProphet
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
You can't have a poll for contenders/pretenders/offenders, which are people even voting for, the results will prove absolutely nothing....

The poll asks which team will surprise us the most (whether good or bad).

8kobe24
11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Really?! The Lakers?! close thread.

ManRam
11-05-2010, 01:30 PM
The Thunder are not who "we" (not I) thought they were. Durant has become perhaps the single most overrated player over the span of an off-season, largely impart because people don't like LeBron any more (nothing to do with his ability). He's a great player, probably top 5 or 6, but he is just another version of Carmelo. He can score from anywhere, can rebound a bit, but doesn't make his teammates much better at all. I don't think he's the leader Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Duncan, KG, or even Deron or Paul are. The Thunder have never won a playoff series, they still don't have a low post scoring presence, and doesn't play defense well (I feel last year's defensive numbers won't be repeated...but I can't back that up).

I said it before the season, and I'll say it today: Durant shouldn't and won't win the MVP and the Thunder still aren't getting out of the first round.

And don't take the OP too seriously guys: he's calling him "Colby".

shep33
11-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Honestly, can we just say it... I think most of us would be extremely surprised if LA, Boston, or Miami didn't win it all this year.

stejay
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Rockets... and seriously, please dont bring you Minneapolis Lakers bull**** into this. I would suggest actually thinking about what you say before posting. You made yourself look foolish. The Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets will be good, the San Diego/Houston Rockets wont be as good as people think, and the Seattle Supersonics will be decent.

The Final Boss
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Why are you offended by me extending the lakers franchise legacy to Minneapolis? If you can't show some love to one of the most beautiful cities in the western hemisphere, then you are admitting the franchise only has 12 championships, and should be calling them the Los Angeles fill in the blanks. As a fellow laker fan, I spit on you. One of my biggest regrets in life is not watching colby bryant's 81 point game live, how dare you question my loyalty. Lets stay on topic, you fail to counterargue my points on why the lakers might not win championship and go off on a tangent on my short comings. This is the quintessential ad hominum argumentative, look it up big guy, and then come back with less futile points.

lol