PDA

View Full Version : Will BIG free agents want to go to the SF Giants since they won the World Series?

RUN DMC 20
11-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Thoughts?!

ccugrad1
11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I am going to say no. Today's professional athletes are all about the money. The only way they come to SF is if the Giants offer large amounts of cash!

esscobar05
11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Probablybut not enugh money to give out.. Take care of home first with raises and see what is left over...
Needs: SS with a little pop and great defensively..And either an OF or 1B... Depending where they put Huff.. If he resigns..
Ross and Torres in the OF

stupidmop
11-04-2010, 08:18 PM
The Giants are a rich club, but they will be frugal with thei rmoney because they need to plan for the future. We have such a talented pitching squad and keeping that in tact is going to be the key to our success over the next 4-5 years. We don't need to go out and get elite players like Jayson Werth because without pitching an average or slightly above average offense can carry us very far.

That said, I think players will want to play for a contender, but when we are talking about the difference of $10 million plus dollars I don't think it matters that much.

JRisdabest
11-04-2010, 08:27 PM
nobody

WoodandNails
11-04-2010, 08:33 PM
It definitely makes San Francico more appealing to free agents, but like others have said, money is the main factor.

Hunter48MVP
11-04-2010, 08:35 PM
None, they might trade for Prince Fielder if Huff doesn't return.

sfgs558
11-04-2010, 08:36 PM
it cant hurt

Jeffy25
11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I am going to say no. Today's professional athletes are all about the money. The only way they come to SF is if the Giants offer large amounts of cash!

All I can do is sigh at this post.

As to the original question, a big named free agent is going to take their time to look at all offers from each team, at least they should. And see if the team can win with them on that team. The Giants actually winning the world series doesn't really change what will happen to them in 2011 necessarily. Any playoff team has a good chance of signing a top named free agent.

To ccguard, not all players, or people, are motivated by money, certainly some are, but to assume and blanket everybody is pretty stupid. Teams want to go to location (proximity to home, or coast etc), chance of winning, and/or financial opportunities. Some players may care about the coaching staffs, or the front office, or even as little as simply the experiences they have endured at a location. It all ranges, but for the Giants, them actually winning the world series vs being in the playoffs probably isn't that much different, any new player won't get that 2010 ring, obviously, but they will want the chance to get one in 2011, and if a player thinks the Giants are the best chance for them to win in 11, then they may listen to the Giants offer a little more closely.

silrdr06
11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Im going out on a limb here and say that if they offer that particular free agent more money then any other team---YES they will come.

Chucky Woods
11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
None, they might trade for Prince Fielder if Huff doesn't return. What would they trade, and don't say Jonathon Sanchez he's terrible.

-Lavigne43-
11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Big free agents like Barry Zito and Aaron Rowand have wanted to come to the Giants in the past

Chucky Woods
11-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Big free agents like Barry Zito and Aaron Rowand have wanted to come to the Giants in the past Lol at that

giants73756
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
I doubt winning that will do anything. But the team is becoming known as a very fun clubhouse which might attract some guys.

More-Than-Most
11-04-2010, 09:23 PM
It would help with the trade factor... A few years ago not many people wanted to come to the Phillies... Now we got Lee... We got Oswalt and Halladay to waive no trade clauses to come here away from places they played their entire careers. Every player had us on their short list... I expect the same thing for the Giants down the road if they can continue to win.

iggypop123
11-04-2010, 09:37 PM
ring chasers only happen in the nba. and thats cause they cant find the money

RTL
11-04-2010, 09:41 PM
If the Giants had money to give big time free agents, them might winning would help as they have a great pitching core for years to come. But since they don't have the money, its pointless to even discuss.

pujolsdabomb5
11-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I thought the whole point we were supposed to get out of the Giants winning the WS is that big names and talent doesnt win championships?

giantspwn
11-04-2010, 09:54 PM
SF is definitely an attractive location unless your a LH hitter looking to put up power numbers. Being a winning team with great team chemistry also helps.

That being said, they won't be able to acquire any big name players until 2013. All other resources will be spent keeping the current talent. Payroll is only around 110 million.

giantspwn
11-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I thought the whole point we were supposed to get out of the Giants winning the WS is that big names and talent doesnt win championships?

If Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Bumgarner, Posey, Torres, Huff and Wilson among others didn't display talent this year than Pujols is a ****ing scrub.

pujolsdabomb5
11-04-2010, 10:10 PM
my apologies.. big names
giantspwn

TheRuckus
11-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Will there be 800 threads, over the course of the offseason, about the Giants in the main MLB forum, where no one cares?

Probably.

Lincecum4CY
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
What would they trade, and don't say Jonathon Sanchez he's terrible.

Lol at that

Actually you should LOL at your jonathan sanchez is terrible post.

giantspwn
11-04-2010, 10:41 PM
my apologies.. big names
giantspwn

big names= talent? :shrug:

giantspwn
11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Will there be 800 threads, over the course of the offseason, about the Giants in the main MLB forum, where no one cares?

Probably.

Will you bitterly post in each of them, when no one cares?

Probably.

I'm so sorry your team isn't relevant atm.

Jeffy25
11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Actually you should LOL at your jonathan sanchez is terrible post.

Sanchez may not be terrible, but his trade market stock isn't nearly as high as most Giants fans seem to think.

THE_FLASH_21
11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Hope not... With the young pitchers they have it would be crazy :)

Slumberking
11-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Probably.

Will you click every one of the 800 threads and make a comment that offers exactly zero input or insight

Probably.

Tmo440
11-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I bet the Gaints trade for Prince Fielder. That would be a sick 3 4 combination of buster posey and prince fielder.

d79cheese
11-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Sanchez may not be terrible, but his trade market stock isn't nearly as high as most Giants fans seem to think.

actually i would say most fans undervalue his actual stock. he is still pretty young (27) and he has unbelievable stuff. in the history of baseball he has the 7th best k/9 of any pitcher with at least 50 starts. trade stock isn't always about what you've done, but what you have the potential to do. most teams probably value him a lot higher then a lot of his periphal stats would indicate.

kmoneyjuice
11-04-2010, 11:24 PM

Yea a guy who would be the Brewers #1 is terrible. hmm

stupidmop
11-05-2010, 01:14 AM

Probably.

Get over yourself dude. People make threads about the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Phillies all the damn time. There's nothing wrong asking a question about a specific team in the main MLB forum, when your goal in asking it is to get the input of fans of other teams.

If you have nothing constructive to contributes then don't write anything. No one is forcing you to open these threads if you don't care about them.

Swishalicious
11-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Pujols, Guerrero, Crawford, Werth, Hudson, Orlando Cabrera, Beltre, Cliff Lee, Rafael Soriano, Kerry Wood.

Giants 2011 Team:

Crawford (CF)
Hudson (2B)
Pujols(1B)
Guerrero (LF)
Werth (RF)
Posey (C)
Beltre (3B)
O. Cabrera (SS)
Lincecum (P)

Lincecum
Lee
Cain
Bumgarner
Sanchez

Zito LRP
Soriano RP
Wood RP
Wilson CL

oh wait... that would be the yankees....

Swishalicious
11-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Get over yourself dude. People make threads about the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Phillies all the damn time. There's nothing wrong asking a question about a specific team in the main MLB forum, when your goal in asking it is to get the input of fans of other teams.

If you have nothing constructive to contributes then don't write anything. No one is forcing you to open these threads if you don't care about them.

This is very true, there are rarely threads about any other teams. And just the fact that the Giants DID win the WS, I would expect more threads about the Giants.

stupidmop
11-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Lol. Best post ever.

The_Jamal
11-05-2010, 01:25 AM

:laugh:

such ignorance

raidersrock99
11-05-2010, 01:44 AM
sf is always a place many free agents look into but we usually just "kick their tires"

djeller1139
11-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Winning can't hurt the Giants chances at landing a big name :shrug:

I would say this offseason it's doubtful, mainly because the Giants may not have the money to go head-to-head with the Red Sox or Angels for Crawford or the Tigers for Werth or whoever for Dunn (maybe they will..), but if they can make a competitive offer I don't see how someone wouldn't give them extra consideration. Trades will also help.

And to people who whine about why the Giants have so many threads - relax. It's an MLB forum for ALL MLB Teams - including the team that just won the WS. We have so many damn threads about 'Yankees buying their rings' 'Why it's not fun to watch the Yankees', and the same goes for Phillies and Red Sox and all. Giants won the World Series, a few extra threads are to be expected.

koldjerky
11-05-2010, 09:35 AM
This is very true, there are rarely threads about any other teams. And just the fact that the Giants DID win the WS, I would expect more threads about the Giants.

Yeah but 4 threads out of the top 8 (7 if you disregard the stickied thread)?

The Congrats thread, the best rotation threads and to some degree the Giants fans and weed thread are ok, but asking about top free agents will sign there belongs it it's respective forum.