PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hasselbeck Out...Cholly In.

Ian.
11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will miss Sunday's home game against the New York Giants because of a concussion, the NFL team said Thursday.

The announcement means that Charlie Whitehurst will start for the first time in his NFL career. The Seahawks host the Giants on Sunday at Qwest Field at 1 p.m.

Hasselbeck was knocked out of last Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders with a concussion and did not practice all week.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2013345543_hawk05.html?cmpid=2727

Could this be the start of the Whitehurst era? Do you guys think it's an excuse to bring Charlie in? Do you think if Charlie performs well, it stays this way going forward?

FWBrodie
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Charlie Charlie Whitehurst yall!

Sluggo
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Could this be the start of the Whitehurst era? Do you guys think it's an excuse to bring Charlie in? Do you think if Charlie performs well, it stays this way going forward?

I'll be surprised if that's the situation. If we were 1-6 or 2-5 maybe, but we're still in this thing and I don't think Carroll would pull Matt at this stage of the game unless its to save him from being killed.

Ian.
11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
At what point do you see what he's got? You spent a good amount on him. If we made the playoffs, we better damn well hope we have home field advantage or we're toast. Then, we won't have a favorable draft position to nab that franchise QB next year. Might as well see if Charlie has what you're looking for.

NateyB24
11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Yay were screwed to all you Hasselbeck doubters merry christmas this Sunday you will learn to appreciate Matt even if he isn't elite anymore.

House
11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
At what point do you see what he's got? You spent a good amount on him. If we made the playoffs, we better damn well hope we have home field advantage or we're toast. Then, we won't have a favorable draft position to nab that franchise QB next year. Might as well see if Charlie has what you're looking for.

Exactly... There would be no point riding Matt out into the playoffs, getting smashed, ending up with a mid/low 1st rd pickand stuck to survive next year with Charlie. I'm a HUGE advocate for Charlie to succeed, but if he doesn't, we can plan accordingly.

If Charlie succeeds, we'll talk about it next week.

Captain Planet
11-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Hey cholly yo cholly is this your paps man!!

NateyB24
11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Who says one doesn't fall to us? Heck after Luck i don't even know if i would risk a pick on the remaining QBS i would rather nab a project in the 2nd round.

House
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Yay were screwed to all you Hasselbeck doubters merry christmas this Sunday you will learn to appreciate Matt even if he isn't elite anymore.

And what if Charlie succeeds? Since you're Pro-Matt, are you going to be upset if Charlie leads us to victories? Relax bud...

You fail to realize this is a WIN-WIN situation. If Charlie stinks it up, we realize we need to go another direction. If he does great, then we know we don't NEED to look at drafting a QB right away.

I trust Pete & John to make the right decisions... They haven't let me down yet!

shen
11-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Glad Charlie is getting his chance, just wish was not the Giants. They have been blasting QB's strait to clipboard duty. Mix a suspect o-line with Giants pass rush and first career start and could go real bad real fast.

No matter what happens Matt owes Charlie his life. Heck Matt probably is good enough to go but don't want to end his career against the Giants.

GGGGG-Men
11-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Never want to be the first team to face a new starting QB. No tape on the guy....can be deadly.

Okung is definitely out for you guys right?

House
11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Never want to be the first team to face a new starting QB. No tape on the guy....can be deadly.

I like your objective view. You DEF is scary and you guys KNOW how to eat up Matt Hasselbeck. I'm hoping you don't in regards to Charlie!

Good luck to you guys this weekend!

Deathproof24
11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
wow, i was hoping hasselbeck would play. the gaints have been putting the hurt on QBs this year. i got tickets for this game. i hope the seahawks keep it close

drew_ellis_23
11-04-2010, 05:27 PM

:facepalm:

Think it will be quite the opposite.

steelie
11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Who says one doesn't fall to us? Heck after Luck i don't even know if i would risk a pick on the remaining QBS i would rather nab a project in the 2nd round.

As a Matt fan, I agree with this move. I for one would not feel comfortable throwing Matt to the wolves in this one. Just coming off a concussion with an O-line that is being held together with duct tape isn't a spot I want to see Matt in there with. The Giants are Qb killers. We do need to see if Charlie has what it takes and this is as good a measuring stick that I can think of.

Captain Planet
11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I will say this:

"I am a loyal die hard Matt Hasselbeck fan, but before that I am a Seahawks fan. Cholly now has my full 100% support! I hope he does well and I hope we kick the Giants ***...Go Seahawks and Go CHOLLY!"

Seattle4Ever
11-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I hope he succeeds, if he does even as good as Hass... I say we start him.

chonbon
11-04-2010, 06:55 PM
gratz in charles in charge

FWBrodie
11-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Whitehurst offers a barometer for how bad Hasselbeck has become. Football stats can not isolate the performance of one player, and so though it seems improbable that Hasselbeck would struggle for season after season with different combinations of surrounding talent and not himself be responsible for those struggles, it is possible.

If that seems difficult to swallow, okay then. If Hasselbeck is the major reason the Seahawks offense has been so bad for so long, Whitehurst will not have to be great to be a significant improvement. By DYAR, Matt has been one of the worst quarterback in football in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

So, the first difference between Whitehurst and Hasselbeck is, unless Hasselbeck is truly unfortunate or Whitehurst is truly bad, Whitehurst should be a good bit better than Hasselbeck. Seattle's passing offense should improve, as should its run offense, and though neither may be great, they may be able to pick themselves off the cellar floor. It wouldn't take much. Seahawk luminaries Jon Kitna, Trent Dilfer and John Friesz spit on Matt's 2008-2010 statistics.
-Fieldgulls

Klivlend
11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Who is there after Cholly? I didn't see anyone listed as 3rd on the depth-chart? Just curious, the G-Men have been killing QB's this year...and I don't know how fast Cholly is

FWBrodie
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM

That's an understatement.

FWBrodie
11-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Not definitely, but probably.

Nwsports22
11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Who is there after Cholly? I didn't see anyone listed as 3rd on the depth-chart? Just curious, the G-Men have been killing QB's this year...and I don't know how fast Cholly is

Probably Michael Robinson.

FWBrodie
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I think Zac Robinson. I saw a picture of him practicing with Whitehurst today. Pretty sure he'll be activated.

GGGGG-Men
11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
I like your objective view. You DEF is scary and you guys KNOW how to eat up Matt Hasselbeck. I'm hoping you don't in regards to Charlie!

Good luck to you guys this weekend!

Ditto....should be a fun one to watch!

westside51283
11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
thank you! its about ****in time! hopefully he does well and stays in there for good!

Klivlend
11-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I think Zac Robinson. I saw a picture of him practicing with Whitehurst today. Pretty sure he'll be activated.

Ahhh, that's right. Forgot he was on the practice squad. Good call.

furmat60
11-04-2010, 07:57 PM
And what if Charlie succeeds? Since you're Pro-Matt, are you going to be upset if Charlie leads us to victories? Relax bud...

You fail to realize this is a WIN-WIN situation. If Charlie stinks it up, we realize we need to go another direction. If he does great, then we know we don't NEED to look at drafting a QB right away.

I trust Pete & John to make the right decisions... They haven't let me down yet!

Exactly. Good timing too. At least they can't get to Matt and bang him up like they've done to every other QB. Save Matt for another game and let him heal, and let the offensive line get healthier. I've been wanting to see what Charlie has, and now he gets his chance right at home. Let's see what he has!

Baller1
11-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Our chances this week just went from 10% to 50%.

Team Charlie!

Seattle4Ever
11-04-2010, 08:53 PM
^ Zac Robinson is on our practice squad, but will be activated for the game. Michael Robinson is our emergency QB.

NateyB24
11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
:facepalm:

Think it will be quite the opposite.

How? He can throw the ball down the field but whos going to catch it? We don't have a WR yet who can stretch the field. The offensive line will just get him killed which actually i don't mind better him then Matt imo i guess im fine with this move.

FieldGulls or whatever that stated Matt is a terrible QB must not have been watching the Seahawks these last 3 years either that or they don't see the crappy line Matt has had to play with.

Magic12ball
11-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Natey - The only game that the OL played sub-par in this year was against Oakland last week. They have actually been pretty solid all year besides last week.

Deon Butler can certainly stretch the field. Can he catch the ball, though, is the better question.

We need BMW, Tate, Okung, and Mebane to play this week. Tate showed that he can go up and get a ball downfield. We need Williams to be angry about his **** game vs Oakland and take it out against the Gmen. We need Okung because idk how good CBJ's pocket awareness is, and the Giants D-line is probably the best set of pass rushers in the league. And of course, Mebane is the key to our defense. With him, our defense is top 10 imo. Without him, its just average.

Seattle Smooth
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
:pray: Clipboard Jesus shall make it rain on Sunday!!! :pray:

scream-hawk
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Someone needs to get started on Charlies tombstone. It should read- here lies Charlie aka touchdown Jesus to all of his followers. He had his first chance against giants, but no front line help led to his early end. Five step drop his one big shot they buried him where he lied.

To all the Hass haters, without a front line it doesn't matter who is throwing the ball unless your name is peyton, Joe, tom or someone if that caliber. I wish chuck the best but I really don't think it is going to turn out well.

MattColby
11-04-2010, 10:11 PM

Word.

FWBrodie
11-04-2010, 10:44 PM
How? He can throw the ball down the field but whos going to catch it? We don't have a WR yet who can stretch the field. The offensive line will just get him killed which actually i don't mind better him then Matt imo i guess im fine with this move.

FieldGulls or whatever that stated Matt is a terrible QB must not have been watching the Seahawks these last 3 years either that or they don't see the crappy line Matt has had to play with.

Deon Butler, Golden Tate, Mike Williams all can stretch the field just fine. In fact I saw all three of them do it in training camp frequently, especially Butler and Tate.

Matt has been terrible these past 3 years. Aaron Rodgers played with a terrible line in that time span as well and has been a pro-bowler anyways. Matt doesn't have what he once had bro. How much evidence do you need? Four seasons of awfulness? Why are you sooooo hooked on a guy who is realistically one of the worst 5-10 starting QB's in the NFL?

shen
11-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Well lets be fair, everyone has at least one player. That player that despite everything, they just can't give in. They just have to believe it will all be fine. Add in a few excuses that though I don't believe in, could be stretched enough.

Captain Planet
11-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Should I pick up Whitehurst for my fantasy team? Keep him on the bench this week see what he does?

House
11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Should I pick up Whitehurst for my fantasy team? Keep him on the bench this week see what he does?

He's been on my bench for quite some time... Everyone said I was crazy!

furmat60
11-04-2010, 11:45 PM
He's been on my bench for quite some time... Everyone said I was crazy!

The question is.........are you starting him this week? :D

House
11-04-2010, 11:47 PM
The question is.........are you starting him this week? :D

No sir... I have Matt Ryan vs TB. This is my BIG $$$ League roster:

HOUSE:EVOLVED (7-1)
STARTERS
QB: M. Ryan
RB: A. Peterson
RB: A. Foster
RB/WR: B. Wells
WR: H. Nicks
WR: R. White
TE: T. Heap
DEF: SEA
K: D. Carpenter

BENCH
QB: C. Whitehurst
RB: J. Forsett
RB: M. Lynch
RB: D. Ward
WR: M. Williams (SEA)
WR: M. Manningham
WR: Deion Branch

IR
WR: S. Rice

Captain Planet
11-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Charlie Charlie Whitehurst yall!

its "CHOLY" LOL

JC-DA_DON
11-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Deon Butler, Golden Tate, Mike Williams all can stretch the field just fine. In fact I saw all three of them do it in training camp frequently, especially Butler and Tate.

Matt has been terrible these past 3 years. Aaron Rodgers played with a terrible line in that time span as well and has been a pro-bowler anyways. Matt doesn't have what he once had bro. How much evidence do you need? Four seasons of awfulness? Why are you sooooo hooked on a guy who is realistically one of the worst 5-10 starting QB's in the NFL?

thank you! im not hatting on hasselbeck he did wonders for this team( with the best line in the universe) then after hutch left and walt went down what was he? a chicken ***** in the pocket who runs from pressure, or throws the ball to avoid contact..i dont think whitehurst is the answer at all! but he should give us a different pace and more toughness in the pocket.
Again i do not hate the beek aside from the pick in packers...how did that go"we want the ball and were gunna win" hah cmon please..any east coast team would have booed him out of town after that...but aside from that he as all my respect, from the past, not present. people booed alexander out of town and hes what the 14th most t/d in history, its just the simple fact when you no longer can get the job done, its time to move on,

furmat60
11-05-2010, 12:41 AM
No sir... I have Matt Ryan vs TB. This is my BIG $$$ League roster:

HOUSE:EVOLVED (7-1)
STARTERS
QB: M. Ryan
RB: A. Peterson
RB: A. Foster
RB/WR: B. Wells
WR: H. Nicks
WR: R. White
TE: T. Heap
DEF: SEA
K: D. Carpenter

BENCH
QB: C. Whitehurst
RB: J. Forsett
RB: M. Lynch
RB: D. Ward
WR: M. Williams (SEA)
WR: M. Manningham
WR: Deion Branch

IR
WR: S. Rice

What is your record? DAMN! Yeah, I'm in a predicament. I don't know whether to start Aaron Rogers at Dallas or Vick at IND....

House
11-05-2010, 12:51 AM
What is your record? DAMN! Yeah, I'm in a predicament. I don't know whether to start Aaron Rogers at Dallas or Vick at IND....

7-1... I put it next to my name. I'm on the fence in regards to my FLEX position Right now I'm starting B. Wells, I might change it to M. Williams. I was undefeated until this past week. Mike Williams killed me!

If IND's DEF plays like they did vs HOU, I'd start Rodgers.

Nwsports22
11-05-2010, 12:56 AM

Why wouldnt you start Rodgers??

furmat60
11-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Why wouldnt you start Rodgers??

Because for the past few weeks he hasn't given me hardly any points. He gave me 7 points last week. Vick has been consistent since he took over.......but Rogers is playing against he Cowgirls. That's why I'm having a hard time deciding.

Nwsports22
11-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Because for the past few weeks he hasn't given me hardly any points. He gave me 7 points last week. Vick has been consistent since he took over.......but Rogers is playing against he Cowgirls. That's why I'm having a hard time deciding.

Last week was his only bad game of the season. He's the number two QB in fantasy he's a must start every week.

SEAbeliever
11-05-2010, 01:47 AM
I hope if the Seahawks win, the headlines say "Jesus Saves!" :D

And Cholly's hair puts Brady and Polamalu's locks to shame...

FWBrodie
11-05-2010, 03:26 AM

Rodgers, no question. Vick is going to hit the wall. His fantasy is going to end. Look at the defenses he's played: WEAK. Rodgers is a top 3 QB.

shen
11-05-2010, 04:38 AM
Mike Williams killed me!

Tell me about it, I lost by couple of points to fall to 6-2. Though my league uses defensive players as well. Omare and Williams get season average and I win last week.

ccg34
11-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Hopefully Whitehurst can prove that he is a starter in this league. I would much rather have Hasselbeck starting though, I don't think Whitehurst is a solid starting qb. But it would be great if Whitehurst has an excellent game and proves me wrong. If he plays great, maybe he can be the future qb for the next 5 years.

Thebudler
11-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I have always been a Hasselbeck supporter, and always will be. But I think this is a good move. The offense isn't working right now! We need to try and give it a spark. I am intrigued w/ Whitehurst. It is clear what our front office/ coaches think of him switching second round picks, giving up a third round pick and giving him 4 million a year for this year and next. (In my mind we still way overpaid) But that is in the past. I bleed Seahawk blue, and I will support any QB under center wearing the Seahawk helmet! I hope on monday we have a legitimate QB controversy!

Sluggo
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
^:clap:

GGGGG-Men
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Some inspiring reading for ya:

But historically - - in relatively recent history, anyway - - the Giants haven’t exactly fared well against “backup” quarterbacks. In fact, since 2002, they’re only 14-11 when a “backup” quarterback starts the game for an opponent - - 11-8 since Tom Coughlin took over in 2004.

The rest of the story (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/11/backup-plan-has-mixed-results.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28B logs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29#ixzz14QmZqIzn)

House
11-05-2010, 01:55 PM

The rest of the story (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/11/backup-plan-has-mixed-results.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28B logs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29#ixzz14QmZqIzn)

Dude... You are welcome in the Seahawks forum whenever you like. We get tons of knuckleheads coming in crapping on our team and swearing their team is the best thing since sliced bread.

bluetechsec
11-05-2010, 02:27 PM
A little off topic but saw this on youtube yesterday..

Marshawn Lynch mistakes a reporter for Charlie Whitehurst..hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZ7LVJ6rk4

GGGGG-Men
11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Dude... You are welcome in the Seahawks forum whenever you like. We get tons of knuckleheads coming in crapping on our team and swearing their team is the best thing since sliced bread.

Ha, thanks. Love my team, but I try to be a realist and impartial.

....also, I have an obsession with the Pacific northwest and my g/f and I have always wanted to live in Seattle. Only made it up to Oregon on a road trip so far, but....DAMN...is it beautiful up there. This always has resulted in a soft spot for the Seahawks. If they're not playing the Giants, I'm rooting for them.

furmat60
11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
A little off topic but saw this on youtube yesterday..

Marshawn Lynch mistakes a reporter for Charlie Whitehurst..hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZ7LVJ6rk4

I love beast mode! Haha, this is hilarious!

GGGGG-Men
11-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Another tidbit:

TheBlueScreen (NY Daily News writer) The #NYG are 3-2 vs QBs making their 1st #NFL start, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Charlie Whitehurst is making his 1st start Sun.

drew_ellis_23
11-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Go cholly!!!!!