PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think there should be more teams in the Playoffs?

JustinJDW
11-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Anyone think there should be more teams in the Playoffs? I have always thought eight teams in a 30 team league was too little. Sixteen make the playoffs in the NBA, and even twelve in the NFL.

I don't know, I just think eight is too little, especially when the First Round is only a Five-Game Series. I just think the Playoffs in baseball can be much bigger. Am I alone on this?

Btw, I'm a Dodger fan, so maybe I'm just a little *****y about the Dodgers not making the Playoffs, lol.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
One more wild card and I'd be very happy with that. Start the playoffs with a three game series between the two wild cards with the division winners set up their rotations. This way, the division winners get the advantage they deserve, and one more team get's another chance.
(all this per league of course)

If you add to many teams, it takes the magic out of winning the division. Winning the division could feel like winning a World Series to some. Making the playoff in the MLB is actually a MAJOR accomplishment. Even though the Yankees consider it a pathetic failure if they don't.

bringbackfredex
11-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Bottom line, no. The NBA playoff format is terrible, teams under .500 make it most of the time and then get mauled in the first round.

Adding more playoff spots in baseball would take absolutely all excitement out of the division races.

metsfaninSTL
11-03-2010, 10:17 PM
i like 8 team. just change the 1st round to best of 7. 12 is good for NFL but 16 is way too much for hockey and basketball. thats over half the teams. im my opinion thats dumb.

Cheezombie
11-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Nope

nithanyo
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
one more wild card and thats good. The wild card teams play a one game series.

This is so teams dont slack in the end like the yanks did this year and more teams are in the race come playoff time.

Havoc Wreaker
11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Leave.It.The.****.Alone

Kthxbai

Pinstripe pride
11-03-2010, 10:42 PM
no

avrpatsfan
11-03-2010, 10:55 PM
16 teams in the playoffs is enough.

Bo Sox Fan
11-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I think the regular season is WAY to long. Cut the regular season short by about 9-15 games and EXTEND the playoffs by making all 3 series a best of 7.

I like the 8 team format as is.

ThomasTomasz
11-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I think one more wild card from each league is enough. That gives your top team a series off- similar to the NFL's top two getting off for the opening round. I would keep the first two rounds still at five games though, because I don't think you can extend the season much into November without the weather being a factor and people losing interest.

10 teams is a good mix for the MLB, especially after having gone through a 162 game season. Anything more would be too much, and as much as I like the NHL (and the NBA has the same setup) the post-season is entirely too long, and includes two more teams that shouldnt be there.

Halladay
11-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I can already guess where this will go. Fans of teams who usually make the post-season(NYY,Boston,Philly etc) will all say no and pretty much everyone else will be on the fence or say yes. I say hell yes. I shouldn't have to wait 20 years to see my team in the playoffs(Jays) because of the ridiculous amount of talent in the A.L East. Give me a damn reason to watch nail biters toward the end of the season. I've seen my team have enough years where in just about any other division they would have made the playoffs but can't in the East. Cry me a river right? I'd love to see what other fans would say if there team as stuck in the East. The league makes more money, as do the teams even if they didn't make the playoffs there would still be more interest and it would draw more fans in.

el_primo_nano
11-03-2010, 11:17 PM
hell no. there are enough teams. the best of the best make it, you snooze you lose, play hard all year long

Cheezombie
11-03-2010, 11:17 PM
I think the regular season is WAY to long. Cut the regular season short by about 9-15 games and EXTEND the playoffs by making all 3 series a best of 7.

I like this idea.

Rdy2PlayBall
11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I like this idea.But best of 7? Holy crap that would be a lot of seeing the same teams play each other over and over. That takes away from the meaning of football. It makes each game less and less important. I mean... if anything best of 3. But I don't even like that idea.

nithanyo
11-04-2010, 12:05 AM
hell no. there are enough teams. the best of the best make it, you snooze you lose, play hard all year long

Thats not how the yankees do business. ITs 'buy players in the offseason and If that aint enough trade for sum more in late July'.

Halladay
11-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Thats not how the yankees do business. ITs 'buy players in the offseason and If that aint enough trade for sum more in late July'.

I'd love to see his opinion if there was a salary cap in place.

iggypop123
11-04-2010, 12:30 AM
according to "Time" they say get rid of the playoffs. just make the regular season the two best teams play for the WS

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/11/03/world-series-low-ratings-little-buzz-three-ways-to-fix-baseballs-fall-classic/

More-Than-Most
11-04-2010, 01:04 AM
No No No... I like the fact the teams that deserve to be there get there... If there was an extra slot last year the pads would have gotten in when they didn't deserve it. They faltered at the end of the season and would have backed in if we allowed another playoff spot... Please no

Swishalicious
11-04-2010, 01:46 AM

Better than how the Blue Jays do business.....which is no business at all, they just suck all day

See, now wasnt that a horribly mean thing to say? Maybe we can learn from this and get along =D

theslick1
11-04-2010, 01:51 AM

Right, the Yankees buy ALL the free agents in the winter and then in July, all the other teams are required to trade their best players to the Yankees. That explains why the Yankees have been reigning world champs since the dawn of free agency.

stupidmop
11-04-2010, 02:17 AM
I think the current MLB playoff format is a good one, and the best of all professional American sports. The NBA playoffs are simply a joke. I understand why the NFL has so many teams in the playoffs (because each round is one game), but I still feel it is ridiculous that nearly about 1/3 of the league gets into the playoffs. In baseball getting into the playoff in itself is a huge accomplishment. Keep it the way it is.

Now, if you want to talk about realignment, I'm open to the idea.

Cheezombie
11-04-2010, 04:10 AM
But best of 7? Holy crap that would be a lot of seeing the same teams play each other over and over. That takes away from the meaning of football. It makes each game less and less important. I mean... if anything best of 3. But I don't even like that idea.

I don't like the 5 game series. Too short.

the_jon
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't like the 5 game series. Too short.
My solution to that without changing anything really...

Give all teams 1 pre-scheduled double header during the year. Shortens the season by a day and we can take a few more from Spring Training. All series are then 7-game series. Season starts by April 1st and ends by October 31st everytime.

t327
11-04-2010, 02:55 PM

I would actually like this, a lot.

S.P.
11-04-2010, 03:37 PM
We just had a World Series in which arguably the 7th and 8th best teams in the league played for the championship. Why not go for 11th vs 12th sometime in the future? Who knows, we can even smash the record for lowest rated WS ever.

Liney3506
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
What makes baseball special is that only the best teams are in the playoffs. If you open it up, it's no longer the best... it's the "Meh, they're ok" teams.

stejay
11-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I say yea. I mean, you have some very good teams not in the playoffs. Just seems more teams would be better for me. There would be less chance of poor teams making the WS, as there is more teams to go through. Maybe thats just my opinion

todu82
11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Add a 2nd wild card team to the mix and that's it. What would happen there is that you'd have a play in series between the 2 wild card teams before the playoffs begin.

RCarlson85
11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
HELL YES THERE SHOULD! It's ridiculous to have a 162 game season and then only have 4 teams from each league make it.

I think the season should be shortened a little and then allow 2 more teams from each league to make the playoffs. It could be like football where the top 2 teams get a bye. Let the first series of the playoffs with the additional teams just be a best of five also.

pd1dish
11-06-2010, 11:53 AM
One more wild card and I'd be very happy with that. Start the playoffs with a three game series between the two wild cards with the division winners set up their rotations. This way, the division winners get the advantage they deserve, and one more team get's another chance.
(all this per league of course)

If you add to many teams, it takes the magic out of winning the division. Winning the division could feel like winning a World Series to some. Making the playoff in the MLB is actually a MAJOR accomplishment. Even though the Yankees consider it a pathetic failure if they don't.

10 teams would be good because then the top team in the AL and NL can get a bye. it also helps out teams that have impossible divisions like the AL East. even teams like st. louis, san diego, and the chicago white sox all had good records and didnt make the playoffs.

it would also make MLB more interesting. with the NFL season underway and the NBA in preseason/starting when the MLB season is coming to a close, if my team isnt contending, then TBH, i have no interest to watch the MLB playoffs. i think the more teams they have in the playoffs, the more people that watch because their team may be in the playoffs. this would then bring more money to those clubs and to MLB.

however, if they do this, then i think they need to shorten the season because it would be at least another week of the playoffs. they need the regular season to end about a month sooner than it does now. prior the the 1960s, they had a 154 game season, which i still think is still too long. idk how many games is good, but anything to take a month off of the length of the season would be perfect. if thats 20 games, then i think it should be a 142 game schedule.

Hunter48MVP
11-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Nooooooo!!!!!!!

nithanyo
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Start the season bout 3 days earlier. And have 1 game between the top 2 wildcard teams. This way more fans and teams are interested in September. And teams wont slack to play the easier team like the yankees did this year.

Lets all be honest: We all knew the weakest AL playoff team was Minni and the yanks didnt mind playing them. Plus the yankees had always dominated them so Girardi even admitted to not going all out in late september

Giants-49ers-Ws
11-06-2010, 02:49 PM
1 extra team in each league would be cool..3 game series between the wild-cards

ccugrad1
11-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Anyone think there should be more teams in the Playoffs? I have always thought eight teams in a 30 team league was too little. Sixteen make the playoffs in the NBA, and even twelve in the NFL.

I don't know, I just think eight is too little, especially when the First Round is only a Five-Game Series. I just think the Playoffs in baseball can be much bigger. Am I alone on this?

Btw, I'm a Dodger fan, so maybe I'm just a little *****y about the Dodgers not making the Playoffs, lol.

No I don't think there should be. In the NHL and NBA, quite honestly, the regular season mean squats. You just have to get there and who knows what can happen. Quite frankly, if you DON'T make it in the NBA or NHL, you stink!

Plus, you don't need baseball into mid-late November

ShockerArt
11-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Absolutely no more playoff teams. The baseball playoffs are random enough as it is. If you're going to add more teams, why even have a regular season?

nstachowski
11-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I think one more wildcard team would help baseball. I know traditionalists would disagree, but IMO cut the season to 154 games and add an extra series.

billybuck
11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
IMHO. The number of teams in the playoffs should be maintained. Then, expand the first round to a best of seven series.

Cut the regular season to (what did it used to be?) 154 games. Get rid of the silly rule that the league that wins the All Star game gets home field advantage.

People have been writing about the Yankees buying the World Series. I am not a Yankee fan, but they haven't been able to win it all the time. The money that they pump into their team doesn't equal heart. Heart is what wins championships. Just look at my favorite team, the lowly Mets. I like seeing teams like the Marlins, Giants, Cardinals, and Diamondbacks winning the championship.

downsos
11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Why do people want teams to have a bye in the playoffs when we have seen teams do bad when they have time off. Time off may help you in basketball, football, hockey, but it hurts in baseball.

LionsFan..LOL
11-06-2010, 10:02 PM
No I like it as it is. The way it is shaped up now the regular season actually means something. Only the best of the best in each division get in.