PDA

View Full Version : One bounce of the ping pong balls...

hotpotato1092
11-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Pretty simple concept, if your team could move up one spot or down one spot in any draft and redo the pick WITHOUT HINDSIGHT (i.e only the knowledge available at the time) which draft would it be? Just a few examples to get the ball rolling...

- Miami moves up one spot in 2008 and grabs Derrick Rose (who they wanted all along). They don't have the money to sign Mike Miller, but they still free up the cap space for LeBron and Bosh. Rose-Wade-LeBron-Bosh. Game over.

- Portland moves down one spot in 2007 and takes Kevin Durant. No way they take Durant #1 in any scenario, but same goes for Seattle, so Seattle/OKC get stuck with Oden while they get Durant.

- The Knicks move up one spot in 2009 and take Stephen Curry. With Curry they may have been able to lure one of the big fish (i.e LeBron or Wade), or they don't and Knick fans get to look forward to a Curry-Amare-'Melo future.

- Milwaukee moves down one spot in 2005, Atlanta takes Andrew Bogut, they get Chris Paul. You could say they would have taken Marvin Williams, but I'd dispute that they already had a wing star (Michael Redd) and there were no other worthy big men, so I think they'd take Paul or Deron Williams.

Discuss.

DerekRE_3
11-03-2010, 07:42 PM
2007 draft for the Kings. I'd much rather have Joakim Noah than Spencer Hawes.

tcav701
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
07 Draft:

The Celtics were favorites along with Memphis for a top 2 pick.

Lets say the Celts get the first pick and take Oden. No KG, No Ray Ray, No ring/great team.

bholly
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
2007 draft for the Kings. I'd much rather they had Joakim Noah than ending up trading us Spencer Hawes.

Ovratd1up
11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
07 Draft:

The Celtics were favorites along with Memphis for a top 2 pick.

Lets say the Celts get the first pick and take Oden. No KG, No Ray Ray, No ring/great team.

Or if they got the second pick they'd be stuck with

Rondo
Pierce
Durant
Al Jeff
Perkins

tcav701
11-03-2010, 07:59 PM

Rondo
Pierce
Durant
Al Jeff
Perkins

Or that hahahaha.

adidas2307
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
2001 draft for the Bulls. Instead of taking Eddy Curry at #4, they would take Pau Gasol at #3. I have no idea what could have happened with Pau instead of Curry. My guess would be that the Bulls would have ended up similarly to how the Grizzlies did with Pau.

homestarunner93
11-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I think the Bobcats are a yearly entry for this "honor":

2004: Move up one spot to #1 (although they actually traded for the #2 a few nights before the draft) and take Dwight Howard

2005: Move up one spot to #4 and take Chris Paul

2006: Move up one spot and take LaMa, or down one spot and take Brandon Roy

2007: Selected Brandan Wright for the Warriors, but Noah went one pick later (although I hate his guts, so I'm glad they didn't end up with him)

2008: They should have selected Brook Lopez, period. Move up, down, or in the same spot, Lopez should have been the pick.

2009: Ehh, I'll take Gerald Henderson for now and hope he develops

2010: No first

jtrinaldi
11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
im damn happy the bucks got bogut at one, and then Skiles had the balls to take jennings who everyone thought was a reach....

Robbw241
11-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Nets move 2 back in 05 and take Danny Granger over EwwwToine Wright.

DerekRE_3
11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I think the Bobcats are a yearly entry for this "honor":

2004: Move up one spot to #1 (although they actually traded for the #2 a few nights before the draft) and take Dwight Howard

2005: Move up one spot to #4 and take Chris Paul

2006: Move up one spot and take LaMa, or down one spot and take Brandon Roy

2007: Selected Brandan Wright for the Warriors, but Noah went one pick later (although I hate his guts, so I'm glad they didn't end up with him)

2008: They should have selected Brook Lopez, period. Move up, down, or in the same spot, Lopez should have been the pick.

2009: Ehh, I'll take Gerald Henderson for now and hope he develops

2010: No first

Don't forget about the trainwreck that was Alexis Ajinca. The only picks the Bobcats have gotten right are Jared Dudley (traded to Suns) and Derrick Brown in the 2nd round (better than Henderson).

Yunqn
11-03-2010, 09:11 PM
jordans mother decides to wait and gets pregnant later in life and goes to the bulls..

rose & jordan

DeadlyVeyerus31
11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
2001 - Bulls had picks 2, 4, 30. Paul Gasol #2, Joe Johnson # 4 & Gilbert Arenas #30. Instead they drafted Curry, Chandler and Trenton Hassell. Not to mention they traded away Brand to get the # 4 pick.

2002 - Bulls had # 2 pick. They choose Jay Williams and could have selected Amare Stoudamire or if the ball would have bounced their way, Yao Ming.

2003- Kirk Hinrich.....Bulls hoping and praying Wade would fall to them

2004 - Bulls had # 3 pick and #7. They could have come out of that draft with a combination of two players. Devin Harris, Andre Igudola, Al Jefferson and Josh Smith. Ball falls the right way, maybe Dwight Howard and one of the players listed above.

2007 - Please dont get me started on this draft. John Paxson should have been fired after this major screw up. Bulls trade down 2 picks so they can take Tyrus Thomas. :mad: Could have drafted LaMarcus Aldridge or Brandon Roy. Rose and Roy back court....hmmmm. Instead Minnesota being the horrible franchise they are, trade Roy to Portland for Randy Foye...ouch. Portland franchise was setup by the Bulls and T-wolves from this draft. Not to mention if Portland would actually have drafted Durant in the years to come.

2008- Bulls have # 1 pick, if they would have picked Beasley over Rose, well everyone knows what would have happened. Chicago would have been on fire!

Yes it's amazing to sit here and think if the ball would have bounced this way or that way. But I think it is more amazing to sit here and look at the front office blunders that took a team in a totally different direction.....just look at the BULLS!

EaglesJackson10
11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
The Sixers have John Wall and their franchise changes entirely but that's the nature of the lottery and is true for pretty much any team in it.

el_primo_nano
11-03-2010, 09:20 PM
2001 - Bulls had picks 2, 4, 30. Paul Gasol #2, Joe Johnson # 4 & Gilbert Arenas #30. Instead they drafted Curry, Chandler and Trenton Hassell. Not to mention they traded away Brand to get the # 4 pick.

2002 - Bulls had # 2 pick. They choose Jay Williams and could have selected Amare Stoudamire or if the ball would have bounced their way, Yao Ming.

2004 - Bulls had # 3 pick and #7. They could have come out of that draft with a combination of two players. Devin Harris, Andre Igudola, Al Jefferson and Josh Smith. Ball falls the right way, maybe Dwight Howard and one of the players listed above.

2007 - Please dont get me started on this draft. John Paxson should have been fired after this major screw up. Bulls trade down 2 picks so they can take Tyrus Thomas. :mad: Could have drafted LaMarcus Aldridge or Brandon Roy. Rose and Roy back court....hmmmm. Instead Minnesota being the horrible franchise they are, trade Roy to Portland for Randy Foye...ouch. Portland franchise was setup by the Bulls and T-wolves from this draft. Not to mention if Portland would actually have drafted Durant in the years to come.

2008- Bulls have # 1 pick, if they would have picked Beasley over Rose, well everyone knows what would have happened. Chicago would have been on fire!

Yes it's amazing to sit here and think if the ball would have bounced this way or that way. But I think it is more amazing to sit here and look at the front office blunders that took a team in a totally different direction.....just look at the BULLS!

that was the most epic first post ever. :clap:

DeadlyVeyerus31
11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
2007 - Please dont get me started on this draft. John Paxson should have been fired after this major screw up. Bulls trade down 2 picks so they can take Tyrus Thomas. Could have drafted LaMarcus Aldridge or Brandon Roy. Rose and Roy back court....hmmmm. Instead Minnesota being the horrible franchise they are, trade Roy to Portland for Randy Foye...ouch. Portland franchise was setup by the Bulls and T-wolves from this draft. Not to mention if Portland would actually have drafted Durant in the years to come.

Not to mention that in the '05 draft, Portland traded down so they could pass on Deron Williams or Chris Paul. They instead drafted Martell Webster, which funny enough....was just traded to Minnesota this past off season. :facepalm:

eXpLiiCt
11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Pistons don't draft darko take either bosh / melo / wade

So if they would have drafted one of them

Chauncey
Wade/Rip
Melo/Tay
Bosh/RASHEED
Wallace

CMON MAN

scutch11
11-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Pistons don't draft darko take either bosh / melo / wade

So if they would have drafted one of them

Chauncey
Wade/Rip
Melo/Tay
Bosh/RASHEED
Wallace

CMON MAN
If the pistons had gotten melo....oh my that team would have been unstoppable for years. Move Tayshaun to sixth man where he would absolutely flourish, getting starters minutes at multiple positions. Melo would have given them a pure scorer to go along with three extremely deadly shooters (Billups, Rip, Sheed) when given space, along with two amazing defenders (Wallace, Tayshaun). That team would have been so complete its not even funny.

Mrphilly
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
This is easy, 1997 If sixers had the #1 pick instead of #2 we could have drafted Tim Duncan instead of Kieth Van Horn. Stackhouse, Iverson, and Duncan would have been great for years. there would have been several parades down broad st.

j-bay
11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
The Sixers have John Wall and their franchise changes entirely but that's the nature of the lottery and is true for pretty much any team in it.

really? i remeber you phiily fans braging about how turner was going to be better then wall:p

JordansBulls
11-03-2010, 11:19 PM

This.

Also 1989 the Bulls take BJ Armstrong at 18, but Shawn Kemp was the 17th pick.
Bulls took also Stacey King, when we could have had Tim Hardaway in the same draft.

avrpatsfan
11-03-2010, 11:20 PM

Great first post X2. The fact is you can never really just prospects. Oden over Durant was horrible but at the time it looked good. You never know.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-03-2010, 11:21 PM

And I hope the last part about Beasley over Rose was sarcasm :eyebrow:

Ty Fast
11-03-2010, 11:34 PM
How bout 03 when Memphis and Cleveland were the last 2 teams left in the lottery. If Memphis gets #1 they keep the pick and pick lebron, but if they get #2 the pick goes to the pistons and they get nothing

DeadlyVeyerus31
11-04-2010, 12:15 AM

And I hope the last part about Beasley over Rose was sarcasm :eyebrow:

I was stating how different the Bulls draft would have been that year if the Bulls seriously was considering Beasley and drafted him. Fans of Chicago would have burned the city down.

dynasty7961
11-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Rondo
Pierce
Durant
Al Jeff
Perkins

I have always dreamed of this... could you imagine Rondo dishing to the 4 of them... and the second unit would still be solid.. would have been a championship contender for so many years to come... doesnt hurt to dream i guess..

Dr Cyanide 28
11-04-2010, 12:34 AM
I have always dreamed of this... could you imagine Rondo dishing to the 4 of them... and the second unit would still be solid.. would have been a championship contender for so many years to come... doesnt hurt to dream i guess..

ya but u got a ring so i guess its not too bad. take what u can get right? :shrug:

WillisLovechild
11-04-2010, 12:58 AM

Just so you know, the Bulls actually drafted Aldridge and then traded him, they didn't trade the pick beforehand. And as mentioned, it was 2006.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-04-2010, 01:12 AM
I was stating how different the Bulls draft would have been that year if the Bulls seriously was considering Beasley and drafted him. Fans of Chicago would have burned the city down.

Ya but also regarding your post, us Bulls fans have fallen in love with D-Rose so much that we don't even give a **** what coulda been or shoulda been during the years before 2008. I look at it this way, if we had gone another route and drafted those other players, chances are we wouldn't have never been in a position to draft Rose. All those other players we could've drafted aren't even close to being the franchise player Derrick Rose will be and we will be in a lot better position to win championships down the road with him being the face of the team. Things happen for a reason.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-04-2010, 01:25 AM
2007 draft for the Kings. I'd much rather they had Joakim Noah than ending up trading us Spencer Hawes.

You found out how bad Hawes is already?

Gibby
11-04-2010, 01:36 AM
2004 NBA DRAFT, Raptors move 8th to 9th and select Andre Iguodala instead of Rafael Araujo

SEATTLEredsox
11-04-2010, 02:13 AM
2009... thunder pick Tyreke Evans over James Harden

Westbrook
Evans
Durant
Green
Krstic

I still have hope for Harden, though. I loved the pick at the time.

Yunqn
11-04-2010, 02:50 AM
if its recent.. then nothing is over blake griffin to okc.. nothing.. imagine him catching a put back or a alley in that arena and growing with that team.. smh.. i just hope he gets to play for a contender one day and stays healthy.. maybe come to the bulls in 5 years lol..only one can dream

McKinnon91
11-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Although the current product in Boston is more than any Celtic fan could ask for.. here is a look at our teams draft past and how it could have changed what the Celtics are now..

Starting from Most recent...

2007: Obviously if the ball had bounced the right way (the order of worst to first), we would have Kevin Durant right now, with other Young guys like Perk, Rondo, Al Jeff, Glen Davis, and a reliable Paul Pierce...and we would probably not only be a current NBA title contender, but a contender 5-8 years beyond now...

Also, if we kept Jeff Green instead of packaging him with Delonte and Wally to Seattle... I think we would still be in a good condition now, and it would have solidified a number 2 man for Rondo in the future... But who knows what would have happened in '08.

2006:

2006 was another tough year (at the time), because if we were one spot higher, we would have Brandon Roy... one spot lower, Rudy Gay... We ended up with Randy Foye, which turned into a useless Sebastian Telfair, and Theo Ratliff... Which at the time, really made me hate being a Celtics fan.

But also in 06, we got Rajon Rondo through a trade, an exciting player at the time.. but no one thought he would be what he is today.

2005:

2005 sucked. One spot higher we would have had Danny Granger. One spot lower Hakim Warrick...and although Hakim Warrick doesn't sound like a player you would wish for, but this is the year of Gerald Green...who for a few years was flashy...but overall was a disaster for the Celtics.

Also, if the Celtics were similar to their in state friends, the New England Patriots..they could have traded down to get David Lee...

2004:

2004 was interesting... it had it's good, and its Bad.

All three first round draft picks of this year have departed the Celtics at one time.

Al Jeff: KG Trade
Delonte: Sugar Ray trade. Although Delonte is back now
Tony Allen: is with Memphis now

The AL Jefferson experience was fun... if we were lower in this draft, we could have gotten J.r. Smith or Josh Smith, who are also good players. Behind the back to back picks of West and Allen was Kevin Martin who is a great scorer and a underated player...and they could have also packaged the draft picks to get a higher pick such as maybe not Dwight, but a Ben gordon, or Andre Igudala.

Overall, I was ok with this draft as All three players turned out to be good players.

2003:

03 was annoying because both players we got (Troy Bell and Dahntay Jones) were horrible picks. Even though we ended up trading them for Perk and Marcus Banks, and obviously Perk has been a great addition.

The One player that slipped away was David West... right in between the two picks... and obviously this was the draft that holds the three Miami Heat Stars, and Carmelo...so obviously it would have been nice to see the Celtics find a way to move up into the top few picks with a trade.

2001:

Obviously 2001 was the least talented draft class most have us have seen, but A few changes could have helped the Celtics... Not trading away Joe Johnson... and with their later pick... drafter Gerald Wallace.

Correction... 2000 might have been the worst draft class.

1998:

1998 was obviously the year the the Celtics drafter Paul Pierce at number 10. He is the Captain, The Truth, and who they built the team around from then on... but other people we could have had included... One Spot higher (Dirk), Any Player past Paul Pierce in this draft would have destroyed the future of this franchise, as none of those players proved to be stars. And this was also Vince Carters year if the Celtics had a higher pick.

1997:

Obviously, 1997 was the 2007 of the 90's for the Celtics. Projected to get the first pick, and draft the man known as Tim Duncan, they were catapulted to 3rd. Now I am curious if the Celtics did land Duncan this year, would they have done just as bad that season and still had a chance at a Paul Pierce or Vince Carter to help lead that team to multiple Championships.

Past that crazy idea, the Celtics made a smart move by drafting Chauncey Billups( the bad move was trading him) and drafted Ron Mercer at the 6th Pick...Mercer proved to be a solid role player (Not with the Celtics, with the Pacers) but the Celtics could have had Tracy McGrady... Just think of the possibility of Tmack at SG, Tim Duncan at Center and Paul Pierce at SF.... They would have been a Big 3 that destroyed the NBA.

1996:

1996 was very Paradoxical. The Celtics drafter Antoin Walker... a player that made a few runs with Paul Pierce to the playoffs year after year...making it as far as the ECF... But if the Celts had the pick higher, they would have drafter Jesus Shuttlesworth (Or Ray Allen, his birth name), who helped Boston win a ring years later. If they had a later pick, they could have had Kobe, who Ray Allen and the Celtics won a ring against, and lost to. They Also could have had The Canuck Steve Nash, or Jermaine O'Neal (Another Current Celtic) who for a few years in the 90s and early 00's was a DOMINATING player.

Past that, some brief more outdated draft history of the Celtics.

89: Michael Smith, one pick ahead of Penny Hardaway.

87: Reggie Lewis, who soon passed away, was part of the draft that Reggie Miller, David Robinson, Scottie Pippen, and closer to the Celtics Pick, Mark Jackson was drafted.

86: Len Bias, we will never know.. the #2 Pick who also died.

72: Two picks lower was Dr. J

67: we should have drafted Pat Riley, I have a 6th Sense that the Big three in Miami would not be together today. :shrug:

Obviously some of the picks were great, some we will look back and think What if... and we also (as Celtics fans) have to feel blessed by the 17 rings... but also think about why we don't have 30?

Blazers#1Fan
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
This is trades and draft picks

2005 Draft: Cp3 over Webster
2006 Draft: Roy and LA(Same)
2007 Draft: Kevin Durant over Greg Oden
2008 Draft: R.lopez instead of bayless and still get batum

C R.Lopez/Gasol
PF Aldridge
SF Durant/Batum
SG Roy/Evans
PG CP3

Trade Zach Randolph&Outlaw + future 2011 1st round draft pick for Marc Gasol and 2009 1st round draft pick and draft tyreke evans

DenButsu
11-04-2010, 06:27 AM
In 1998, the Nuggets took Raef LaFrentz 3rd in the 1st round. Jamison (4th), VC (5th), Dirk (8th), Pierce (9th) all fell lower.

aussie
11-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Hornets keep 1996 NBA Draft

2001 Draft Bulls pick Gasol instead of Chandler (Hornets get him)

CP3/Kobe/Ariza/DWest/Pau :O

SpeeMN
11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Trades I wish the Twolves Didn't make:

1996 Draft- #4Marbury for #5Ray Allen. Twolves shoulda kept Allen.
2006 Draft- #6BRoy for #7Randy Foye. #8 was Rudy Gay. FAIL.

hotpotato1092
11-04-2010, 04:57 PM
2009... thunder pick Tyreke Evans over James Harden

Westbrook
Evans
Durant
Green
Krstic

I still have hope for Harden, though. I loved the pick at the time.

I actually think Evans would have been overkill, nobody has explained this better than Bill Simmons so I actually took the time to go find his quote because I'm just that nice: "Makes the Zombie Sonics better on paper, screws them up in real life. Russell Westbrook would be threatened as the primary playmaker/distributor; Durant would be threatened as the alpha dog. From a chemistry standpoint, I'm dubious. I just don't think you need him. Think of it this way: I'm already making you dinner with Durant as my main course. He's the $200 slab of filet mignon on the bone. We're at a table with 10 other people. We're chowing down. We already have a Caesar salad (Westbrook), cream of mushroom soup (Serge Ibaka), potatoes au gratin (Jeff Green), asparagus (Thabo Sefolosha), sweet potatoes (Eric Maynor) and the filet (Durant). Harden is delicious corn bread done southwestern-style; Evans is a $150 rack of lamb. Do I really need the lamb? If I brought that out, wouldn't you say, "Good God, this is too much food; I'm gonna have a heart attack!" It might be delicious, but I don't need it. I need the corn bread." I think that sums it up perfectly.

greg_ory_2005
11-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Off the top of my head, for the Raptors..

2004: Araujo (up 1 for Deng, or down 1 for Iggy)
2005: Joey Graham (down 1 to get Granger)
2005: Roko Ukic (up 1 to get Monta Ellis)

:mad:

And I guess I could probably say that we shoulda taken Wade instead of Bosh.