PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Zone: Good or Bad Idea?

DodgerBulls
11-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Title says it all, most of us know that the restricted zone (restricted arc) was introduced I believe in 1997-1998 season.

I want your input on this one, do you like it? What's the difference between the games with the restricted arc and the ones without it. Does it make players to put more effort on trying to get a charge rather than defending? Acting or simply getting softer and softer? I know some people view the tech rule as simply not letting people show emotions, but don't you think without the arc.. it shows more emotions? The old stare, pound and hacks we all enjoyed watching back in the days? If without the arc, would the NBA considered the tech rule today?

VinceCarter
11-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Good idea.

Otherwise there would be charges while people go up for a dunk because it will be hard to avoid knocking over/kicking a guy standing underneath you.

Could become an injury concern too without one.

Mudvayne91
11-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Top notch idea Govna

Wilson
11-03-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure on the idea. I guess it's necessary though if guys were going to just plant themselves under the basket and take charges to prevent lay-ups.

I think the execution of it is extremely poor, the officials are very inconsistent with the restricted arc.

redsox0717
11-03-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure on the idea. I guess it's necessary though if guys were going to just plant themselves under the basket and take charges to prevent lay-ups.

I think the execution of it is extremely poor, the officials are very inconsistent with the restricted arc.

Actually I think they're pretty consistent with the restricted arc, because it is cut and dry. If you're in the circle, it's a block. The inconsistency comes in on whether it is a charge or a block outside the restricted circle.

DerekRE_3
11-03-2010, 02:25 AM
I think the restricted area just gives refs one more thing to **** up when trying to judge if it's a charge or not.